[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2912.jpg (124 KB, 1200x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
I just watched Unforgiven for the foyst time.
What is it with all Westerns, that the town has always one main street where those wooden buildings with the pillars in the porch are lined up on each side? Aren't there any houses? It would have looked better if they had it in, say, a town like Hope in the movie First Blood, where there are hills and forrests surrounding the town. It wouldn't have to be a dense town either. And the thing they did where they had usa flags hanging from some houses would make it look even more linked to the present. Make it more approachable for modern viewers.

As far as the movie goes, that was solid writing. That's the thing that popped into my head as I was watching it. And just like any good Western, or piece of art coming from thr states, the usaeans ripped a page from the japanese book of visual arts.
>>
more like Unforgoyslop. this movie is pozzed.
>>
File: 1594840808891.gif (2.93 MB, 300x279)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB GIF
>>198571755
>>
>>198571755
>pulls trigger
>*click*
>>
>>198571795
Why? What did I say?
>>
File: 1682549964311803.webm (3 MB, 1920x1034)
3 MB
3 MB WEBM
I remember how Clint Eastwood's character made me feel, that is, his backstory.

We barely get glimpses of his past, random stories of Clint and Morgan Freeman as bandits.
Clint was the leader of the band. He was ruthless. Even the band members were afraid of him.
Then when we learn that Morgan Freeman was tortured and accidentally died during his punishment, the evil that Clint committed is revealed.He destroyed railway tracks, killing many civilians, but a phrase that has stuck with me until now is that he says he has killed everything that can be killed, men, women and children. That stuck with me until now.

Good movie.
>>
>>198571755
eastwood sat on the script until he was old enough to play the part.
the layout of old west towns are mainly built out of economy: you want all of the businesses in one area because it helps out the other businesses. the "tall billboard" fronts of the buildings served as just that - advertisement for their business.
a lot of the towns were either at or near railroad tracks (at least when the town was built) and you wanted your business to be as close to the railroad station as possible, another reason for businesses clumping together.
if you were a business owner, you typically lived either above, behind or very near your business. if you didn't own a business (or weren't directly employed by one), you lived on a farm because that's how you made your living. and farms were very far away from the towns for a reason: you needed the land. you either grew crops (which required a lot of land) or you raised cattle (which required a lot of land) or you did both.
if you were a miner, you lived very close to the mine.
>>
>>198571755
>What is it with all Westerns, that the town has always one main street where those wooden buildings with the pillars in the porch are lined up on each side?
You said it in your own sentence, that is the TOWN dipshit. People didnt live in town except for the buiness owners of the businesses in town. Everyone else had sprawling plots of land for miles around the town
>>
>>198571929
Specifically -because I am fresh from viewing- "I have killed pretty much anything that walks or crawls at any time"
>>
>>198571755
>What is it with all Westerns, that the town has always one main street where those wooden buildings with the pillars in the porch are lined up on each side? Aren't there any houses

Because that's the most logical and efficient layout. The proprietors of the time generally lived in the shops on a second floor. The people lived away from the town on ranches and farms and such. They went into town for trade or entertainment or whatever. Travel actually took significant amounts of time, you couldn't just commute to work every day.
>>
>>198571975
Yeah. That phrase gives a darkness to Clint's character.In many moments it seems that Eastwood plays a lot with the character's past and there comes a moment when the audience thinks that it is Sergio Leone's man with no name.
>>
>>198571941
>eastwood sat on the script until he was old enough to play the part.

Get the fuck out. Sounds like a "star wars was originally a 50 volume work".

>the layout of old west towns are mainly built out of economy

I see, I understand now. So are they historically accurate? What about hamlets and villages?
>>
>>198572052
I thought about that! That he was channelling his man-with-no-name.

You just reminded me of something I wanted to put in the OP:

The movie is dedicated to Sergio and Don. Who was Don?
>>
>>198572103
Who Don? Don't know.

Eastwood subverts the western here by using the biegafei of that British shooter who later stays with the sheriff. A little on the nose but it works.
>>
>>198572059
when eastwood bought the script, he was still an a-list guy and could basically do whatever he wanted.

towns were generally built around the industries that they served. you just didn't have towns "in the middle of nowhere": they were either near a mine, near the railroad, etc. so forth. obviously, if the mine dried up or the railroad moved, then the town would dry up and people would move away and it would become a bona fide "ghost town."
>>
>>198572059
>Get the fuck out. Sounds like a "star wars was originally a 50 volume work".
It's true, David Peoples wrote the script in 1976, and Clint liked it so much he optioned it sometime in the 80s and waited until he was old enough to play the role convincingly.
>>198572103
>Who was Don
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Siegel
>>
>>198572103
>The movie is dedicated to Sergio and Don. Who was Don?
Probably Don Siegel.
>>
>>198571755
Even back in the wild west towns weren't built for walking. There were no footpaths so if you wanted to walk across the street you'd need to walk through the muddy, horse shit strewn road to get there. Truly a nightmarish place.
>>
>>198571755
Zoomer doesn't know anything about history, news at 11.
>>
>>198572151
>biegafei

You subverted that word bro. It's biographer.

Explain what you mean, sounds intriguing.
I think that the thrill people get from Unforgiven is the same as from Harakiri. I watched that movie twice and both times it impressed me. The subversion here, as I see it, lies in the undermining of morality. Who is moral here? The upholder of the law? The man who has killed, but had a change of heart? And the background, the framework for this question, is the fear of dying and the fear of killing. Putting real feelings in sets like that makes them feel more real. And I liked how the transformation back to his old ways didn't drag long, it was short and to the point, like all things of substance. I also was expecting William Munny to die in the end.

>>198572254
>>198572280
Thanks. Was he a big Western legend? Director, producer?
>>
>>198571755
Its the frontier, no one actually lives IN the town aside from the shop owners/operators. Everyone else lives out on their own plot of land some distance away.
>>
>>198572536
>>198572536
It also talks about respect for women.
Those women are prostitutes and that girl was disfigured for making fun of that guy's penis. The sheriff opts for physical punishment against the attackers.That is insignificant for prostitute women.
Here, I always believed that the sheriff made a mistake by denying a minimum of dignity to those women. He should have sent one of those guys to prison. The point is that, something dignified and respectful to these women, but taking into account the time in which the story takes place, Hackman's attitude is very appropriate.
>>
>>198572787
Little Bill's morality is always in question. He just wants to keep the town peaceful. Is that so bad? There's an argument here.
>>
>>198571929
Good post. watch Rolling Thunder
>>
>>198572052
>and there comes a moment when the audience thinks that it is Sergio Leone's man with no name.
Only if they're plebs. William Munny is clearly a Josey Wales type of character.
>>
File: images (52).jpg (30 KB, 739x415)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>198573445
I have seen it. It's Kino too.
>>
>>198573990
ok, DC or TC of Payback (1999)?
>>
WTF I DIDN'T KNOW THE OLD WEST WAS 15 MINUTE CITIES YASSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>198574161
DC, tC? I don't know what those movies are.
Playback with Mel Gibson I've already seen it.
>>
>>198571755
>And just like any good Western, or piece of art coming from thr states, the usaeans ripped a page from the japanese book of visual arts.
Lol, Weaboos are amusing.
>>
>>198572448
Millennial makes useless shitpost, and coming up, why you secretly crave penis. Back after this.
>>
>>198571941
This, the town wasn't a town in the modern sense, but somewhere people commuted to for commerce.
>>
>>198574294
theatrical or director's cut. I was asking if you like it better as Mel's version or the director's.
>>
>>198574631
Well I've only seen the theatrical cut.
>>
>>198574319
He came straight from Letterboxd. I can guarantee. Name dropping Harikiri just sealed it.
>>
what's the best language to watch Crowe's 3:10 to Yuma film in? Definitely not english.
>>
Why are western movie whores so delicious? In reality they would smell awful.
>>
>>198571755
Oh wow what a zoomer retard
>>
>>198575573
he sounds old to me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.