[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Se7en.jpg (18 KB, 400x580)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
The point for JD was to punish the people who indulged in the 7 deadly sins by killing them.
But Mills becomes Wrath and survives.
Am I missing something here?
>>
They gave him the death penalty
>>
>>198571829
What? No way. Where did you get that from?
>>
why did he target the Lust victim? she was only doing her job
>>
>>198571798
>Am I missing something here?
The fact that Se7en is a shitty movie because the twist relies on JD attacking someone other than the sinner themselves.

Every single victim was guilty of sin. Following the movie's logic, Mills himself should have been killed. Mill's wife was killed for no reason other that the movie having a twist.

Always lol when I hear people say this movie is so brilliant.
>>
>>198571925
You just don't get it.
>>
Has anyone ever encountered the fringe/reddit theory that Somerset is the real killer? Could anyone expound on reasons for this?

>>198571798

The real point of the movie is that despite being very meticulous and conscientious, John Doe is in fact completely fucking crazy. The "moral justice" that his murders are supposed to have quickly becomes inconsistent, and goes off the rails (in a dramatically useful way) once they get into his apartment and force him to adjust his plans.

The Gluttony and Greed murders are straight-up, "turn the sin against the sinner" murders, establishing the motive. You could say that Victor was guilty of the "real", or spiritual Sloth, but if he's a drug dealer and a boy fiddler, this implies a little hustling, at least in the physical sense, so it starts to not fit. Also, Victor's physical Sloth was IMPOSED on him, not something of which he was obviously guilty before Doe came along. Doe is forcing the guy into the box that he needs him in. Also, the prostitute is not the person who is PRIMARILY guilty of lust, the JOHN is, the OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD guy. There is a slight return to form with the Pride killing (the model would have been very proud in life, and died of her own pride), but then Doe has to rob Peter to pay Paul to complete the set. I doubt that Doe genuinely envied Mills (even though it was a young Brad Pitt, admittedly). Doe just kinda said that and did his thing to make his scheme work. And the wife? Oh shit I just realized for the first time while writing this that she was wrathful IN HER HEART because she was seriously contemplating an abortion, regardless of whether she did it or not. Okay I'm full of it. BUT Doe presumably didn't know this.
>>
>>198571925
op here
You're absolutely correct!
It makes no sense for JD to kill an innocent woman, especially once you consider his rant about killing only people who deserved it.
>>198571916
JD said he had to punish her for spreading disease or something. The lawyer was also doing his job btw.
>>
>>198572037
>theory that Somerset is the real killer?
Never heard of this. You mean Somerset killed the "sinners", or Somerset killed or helped kill JD in the end? Neither makes any sense to me.
>>
>>198572070
The lawyer was corrupt and worked with either the glottony or sloth victim.
>>
>>198572141

It's an old idea I came across once. Just like it says, it posits that Somerset is the real killer in the film. In which case Doe might be imaginary/a hallucination, or similar. fringe/reddit, yes, but, well, there it is.

It occurs to me that Somerset is bookish and easily picks up on the sort of literature that the killer is supposed to be familiar with. Somerset also sits in his apartment by himself, slowly going crazy and seething with contempt for the city, like Doe. I'd have to re-watch but I'm guessing that when Somerset rattles off the sins in the early office scene, they are stated in the order in which they will eventually unfold. Somerset asks to be kept on the case until the sequence is complete (he wants to see it through, a commonality with the killer), and leaves once the great work is complete. It should also be noted that the "two guys are really the same guy" idea is explicitly used in one of Fincher's next films.

Not saying I endorse this take but these are a few of the possible reasons that come to mind.
>>
>>198571916
so was the lawyer, but the 'professions' themselves are immoral and sinful by nature.
i do love a whore every now and then but it's risky and unnatural. pure material indulgence, lust and lust alone.
not that there's anything wrong with it but this aspect is part of it.
same goes for a lawyer. peel down some layers and essentially the noble aspect of it ends up being completely forgotten, specially for cases where the suspect is definitely guilty (see that woman in the US who killed her daughter because she wanted to party).
>>
>>198572310
I don't know all this sounds too silly. I don't think the Fight Club concept works in Seven.
>>
>>198572310
>In which case Doe might be imaginary/a hallucination, or similar.
Retarded fanfic. The only thing worse than 'he was just a figment of the imagination' is 'it was all a dream'. There's no basis for it in the movie.
>>
>>198572310
let's suppose this is factual - it would subtract from the movie much like deckard being a replicant would.
>>
>>198572678
Deckard being a replicant is good because humans have lost their way; they're literally doing slavery and it's time for a new species of humanity.

Deckard can't be a human because a human does not have empathy in the bladerunner universe.
>>
>>198571798
I don't mean to poo poo your thread, but I don't think the point of the movie was to expect moral consistency from a deranged, psychotic serial killer.
>>
>>198572860
what you said would make sense if the replicants weren't absolute psychopaths devoid of souls.
>in the bladerunner universe
did you read the book?
>>
>>198573176

You seem to be implying that the replicants are irredeemable, which is obviously false and contradicts the climax of the film. The whole point of the climax is that these other beings are capable of mercy, and have redeeming traits. Also, they have simply endeavored to escape slavery and to continue to live, and act accordingly. You would do the same. They are very human. More human than human.

Also I've never watched the sequel and I don't care to, so don't bother pointing out whatever happens in it. I don't include whatever it depicts in my analysis. Don't care how good it might be. Conversely, feel free to spoil any plot points, I don't care and it doesn't factor into the above.
>>
>>198574460
the climax of the film is worthless if it's not roy's humanity being juxtaposed against deckard's. if both of them are bots, it just doesn't work.
>>
>>198571798
it's just a dumb edgy movie, it's not supposed to make sense. that's why the twist works and still holds up today. it's great dramatic manipulation of the audience
>>
>>198574903

Okay, so you insist on Deckard being human in order for the climax to have meaning, which was the point of your earlier objection to the other guy. Now I understand that part. But the way that you phrased your objection is still incorrect for the reasons I gave.
>>
>>198571798
he probably killed himself
>>
>>198571798
>But Mills becomes Wrath and survives.
Wasn't Spacey wrath? Like he's aware he's also sinning and is so batshit he also punishes himself?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.