[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can it be done today?
>>
>>198577073
Both Max Headroom (the real property) and the television hijacking stunt version of Max Headroom were peak 1980s.
>>
>>198577073
Why bother when you could just get the woman in the video to act slutty on tiktok for 100x more viewers?
>>
File: midnight.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Captain Midnight's take over of HBO was more impressive but since he got caught, Chicago Max wins in the end.
>>
>>198577073
Why did he do it?
>>
>>198577073
The way he says ooooohhhhh really cracks me up.
>>
>>198577151
He was annoyed that Doctor Who was a rerun that night.
>>
>>198577151
Inside job of a disgruntled employee.
>>
>>198577151
Back then, it didn't take as much effort for people itching to participate in large scale pranks to just go for it. Nowadays, people have to worry about more legal troubles, but it was just the sort of thing that someone could have done during the 1980s, or maybe even as late as the 1990s.
>>
>>198577073
We've mostly moved to digital, as opposed to analogue signals. So not as easily, no.
>>
>>198577278
He worked for WGN and WTTW?
>>
>>198577350
It would almost certainly require a violent takeover of a network/studio to pull something off like that, nowadays.
>>
>>198577380
A motivated insider could probably pull it off.
They would likely be caught, though.
>>
fat chance
>>
I am an optometrist, and I had a patient that actually worked in broadcast signalling and I got the opportunity to ask them this very question.

Short answer, no, it can't. The technology we have today is far too advanced to jam and then broadcast an alternative tape; even in the 80s, the gentlemen who did this would have had to park, pedo-style, in a big white van with broadcast signal intrusion equipment, as close as possible to the parking lot.
>>
>>198577151
His love was fading.
>>
>>198577313

>didn’t take much effort

That may have been true for some pranks, but they had to override a very powerful signal…being broadcast from the top of the Sears tower. I think this one of the more technically impressive pranks of all time.
>>
>>198577073
This guy actually had a teenage girl he could slap on the ass. How many 4channers haven’t even done that?
>>
>>198577073
anyone else actually see this go down? I was like lol wtf.
>>
I don't think anyone care if a television or radio station got hijacked. It's boring. Big whup.
>>
>>198577164
I JUST MADE A GIANT MASTERPIECE IN MY DIAPER FOR ALL THE WORLDS GREATEST /TV/ POSTER NERDS, UUUOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>198577151
They were making a move, man. He had to get it on.
>>
File: WGN.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>198581276
Fairly unlikely. Though there are more people here that are old enough to have seen it than most acknowledge, that it was on a local PBS station limits the number of potential viewers. The short intrusion onto WGN's signal could have been seen on cable systems nationwide since WGN was a superstation but not many people outside of the Chicago area would have bothered to watch the local Chicago news, which is when the signal hijacking took place.
The Captain Midnight signal hijacking got more press attention but was far less weird than the Max Headroom stuff.
>>
This guy will never admit he did it because you just know there is an angry boomer still with the FCC waiting to lock him up out of spite

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.