[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1693443981480783.png (967 KB, 622x1000)
967 KB
967 KB PNG
Destination Void (1965)
>In the future, mankind has tried to develop artificial intelligence, succeeding only once, and then disastrously. A transmission from the project site on an island in the Puget Sound, "Rogue consciousness!", was followed by slaughter and destruction, culminating in the island vanishing from the face of the earth.
This would have been a far better choice for a Herbert adaptation. Does Dune have anything interesting to say to us now?
>>
I have that very paperback. It isn't his best work, but I enjoyed it. You might try the scifi thread on /lit/ if you actually want to discuss the book.
>>
>better choice
The goal is making money, making a media franchise/universe, and letting people experience something they knew about but were too lazy to read.
Sounds cool though as a Puget Sounder
>>
Just be happy a "weird" $200 million sci fi movie is successful right now. Hopefully there is more to come.
>>
Denis is also making Rendezvous with Rama into a movie. Should be interesting.
>>
>>198579170
>You might try the scifi thread on /lit/ if you actually want to discuss the book.
thanks!
>>198579182
true, that's the way of everything now. Also that's the extent of Puget Sound in the novel, nothing else takes place there.
>>198579283
>New Sun
the eternal candidate. Hope to see it made some day
>>
>>198579283
Children of Time, por favor.
>>
>>198579283
One day
>>
>>198579106
>Does Dune have anything interesting to say to us now?
Dune is social-fiction. It is always relevant. Feudalism is the default mode of governance for humans. We may dress it up as democracy and elections or as a commune of equals but in the end, the rich and powerful will always rule over the weak.
>>
>>198579106
How does Tunnel in the Sky not have an adaptation?
I get that it itself leans too hard into a people forming a government and the stages that moves through but the movie would 100% just cut that out and make it a Hunger Games like.
But keep the self insert older mentor, teacher/writer/journalist hooking up with a barely legal redhead that Heinlein fell into.
>>
>>198579283
>>198579350
Get your fucking stinky ass pajeet hands out of it
You fuckers will ruin any classics
>>
>>198579737
Heinlein fell way too hard into that shit. I wanted to like The cat Who Walks Through Walls, but it was too much slapping your bottom red and not enough saving my guy MIKE!
>>
I would like to see the short novel Dad's Nuke made into a movie.
>>
>>198579283
>just be happy
why do you want them to rape things you love
>>
File: di_fate_niven.png (172 KB, 415x665)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>A bunch of different aliens and an Asian man fucking nonstop

Hollywood should love it.
>>
>>198580868
I thought Amazon was working on an adaption
>>
>>198579283
I dread the day that someone attempts to adapt "We Can't Rewind" to film
>>
>>198579463
You'll get a adaptation of The Dosadi Experiment before anyone touches Baxter's stuff.
>>
>>198579106
LOST
>>
>>198580868
The only woman is designated ship whore. Wouldn't work in current climate.
>>
>>198579106
So it's Lost but AI instead of God and Satan?
>>
>>198579106
I only read the second and third book where they land on the hellish water planet. the detailed and lush descriptions of the planet is the frank herbert parts i imagine, while the rest was probably bill ransom

the second book has some trippy stuff about a time-displaced Jesus, then a ton of coomer shit like a fat ugly bastard villain drugging and banging some hot amazon nudist chick in book 2, and a weirdly detailed account of an underaged brown mermaid girl in book 3.

i imagine the last bits would make it rather unfilmable
>>
>>198579331
>Denis is also making Rendezvous with Rama into a movie
source? I liked that book. The whole series is decent, although I don't remember the sequels.
>>
>>198579106
When are they going to adapt the other 2 books set after 2001? 2001 was made in the 60's and then 2010 in the 80's. At the rate where going it'll actually be 2061 before we get a film adaptation of it.
>>
Robert Silverberg's scifi pulp will always be superior to Herbert's slop
>>
>>198583462
I got his third Majipoor book in a lot, can it be read as a standalone?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.