[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Cultist.png (127 KB, 217x326)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
Remember the weird cult in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter that warped Christianity into some bizarre genocidal death cult? It seems Paul's doubling down on that story idea, with cultists wearing makeshift templar robes over modern military equipment. He's either cooking with fire, or this is going to be anti-religious cringe where girlboss witch Milla Jovovich defeats the patriarchy. The leader of the cult is named Patriarch Johan, and is played by the one black guy from RE: The Final Chapter.
>>
>>198580709
Have details of Lost Lands started surfacing? Is the pic from the filming of it?
>>
>>198580709
Do I remember the plot of the Resident Evil movies? Did they even have one?
>>
>>198580920

My favorite Reddit thing ever is this guy doing a super serious and genuine dissection of the plots of all 6 Resident Evil movies to explain how they don't contradict each other and don't have plot holes if you squint hard enough.

https://old.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5qf4a9/official_discussion_resident_evil_the_final/dgt6ty3/?context=1
>>
>>198580960
> And thus enters the only plot issue I can't reasonably explain in a way that I could believe as a viewer. They said the Earth is dying, and show it in video, so idk. The only plausible (and only barely at that) is that due to Umbrella's "control" of Alice at this point, she is being manipulated into believing the world is dying in order to either demoralize her or convince her to surrender to Umbrella.

my sides
>>
>>198580709
>He's either cooking with fire, or this is going to be anti-religious cringe where girlboss witch Milla Jovovich defeats the patriarchy
Ah yeah, i'm sure the retard that still hasn't made a decent Resident evil movie will somehow manage to pull something interesting out of his ass
>>
File: Grey Alys.png (759 KB, 867x919)
759 KB
759 KB PNG
The leak from a few months ago:
>I worked on In the Lost Lands. Theres some werewolves in it and a bus going over a canyon on ropes. Underground people that worship a cross. Shit's wild.
>Some things I remember:
>Bus goes over canyon; Milla is fighting on top of it.
>Underground people worship a cross; there is a main black guy.
>Giant skeleton-like black guys are fighting Milla around a fire pit
>David's character is a werewolf; he also attacks a hawk, or gets attacked by a hawk.
>Legit felt like Milla and David's characters were into each other. Almost gave me cuck vibes for Paul.
>The film ran out of money and had to shop around for more money.
>Visually it looks really good. I hope to God it doesn't get re-cut into a movie where none of the shots last longer than a second.
>Paul W.S. Anderson is a really awesome guy. Super nice, and really skinny. He has made GOOD movies before. I hope he returns to that. He's mostly a Hollywood playboy that makes films with his wife, and perhaps soon with his daughter.
>>
>>198581109
This is an adaptation of a story by George R R Martin, though. Not his original script.
>>
File: Cast Her Out.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
My theory is that there's also a bit of Beneath the Planet of the Apes influence, but the cult will capture Alys and be unhappy with her because she's a shapeshifting witch.

I expect at least one callback to this.
>>
>>198581131
>a bus
In a fantasy movie?

>I hope to God it doesn't get re-cut into a movie where none of the shots last longer than a second.
It might. Paul's Resident Evil 6, and then also Monster Hunter, were tuned towards the Chinese market that loves loves LOVES hyper-adhd hectic editing like this. Maybe two movies in a row aren't a pattern yet, but I'm wary.
>>
File: Big-Mike-Stunt-Fly-2.webm (3.55 MB, 640x352)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB WEBM
>>198580849
>Have details of Lost Lands started surfacing?
Some details. They ran a pretty tight ship overall, but one of the crew members posted on /tv/ a few months ago, and the stunt teams were a bit sloppy. Some of the virtual production teams also got a wee bit sloppy and posted pictures with monitors clearly showing the movie.
>Is the pic from the filming of it?
It's from of the main stuntmen's Instagram pages. He doubles for Bautista but also seems to play other characters.
>>
>>198580960
>>198581085
The actual answer is a combination of "Anderson didn't care because the Planet of the Apes movies didn't care about continuity either" and "Anderson retroactively treated the older films as fiction." So for example, we can't actually trust that anything in Resident Evil: Apocalypse happened. In-universe, it's possible Angie Ashford never existed. The studio was always reluctant to let Anderson include the more batshit stuff he wanted to do.
>>
We don't know what the werewolves look like in motion, but we do have a practical effects emaciated werewolf made by a Polish SFX team hired for the film.
>>
>>198581159
Basically a guy called Constantin Werner bought the rights to In the Lost Lands and two other GRRM stories. He wrote his own film treatment and got Milla Jovovich attached (this was in 2015), but couldn't get it funded. So years later, Anderson steps in and offers to direct and co-write, and he rewrites Constantin's version of the movie into a post-apocalyptic quasi-western fantasy film. That's this version. Constantin is still the co-writer, but this is Anderson's adaptation of Constantin's adaptation of George R.R. Martin's 10 page short story.

One of the most substantial changes to the overall structure of the story is the addition of a new villain named Ash. Ash was written as a man in his 40s, but 53 old Arly Jover, a woman, was cast instead. We have absolutely no fucking idea who Ash is, but we can speculate. The official website for the studio says (translated from German):
>A queen is desperately searching for a way to fulfill her romantic happiness. She takes a bold step and sends the powerful and feared witch, Gray Alys (played by Milla Jovovich), to the "Lost Lands" to gain the magical ability to transform into a beast. She is accompanied by the mysterious hunter, BOYCE (played by Dave Bautista), who helps her fight against dark creatures in this eerie and dystopian world. However, Gray Alys is unaware that this ability comes at a great cost and that dangerous enemies are pursuing her.
Who is pursuing her? Probably Ash. I think Ash is a mercenary hired to stop Alys from granting the Lady Melange's wish.

Also by studying footage from the stunt team practicing and some posters seen at an angle at a German film festival, we can see that Alys carries a sickle as a weapon. Boyce carries a shotgun. Boyce in this movie is VERY different to the book version appearance wise. Apparently they wanted Keanu Reeves or Nicholas Cage originally.
>>
>>198581187
I think it's this bus, in fact. You might notice that the bus is an awful lot like the bus from Resident Evil: Extinction. But regardless, so the leaker talks about the bus crossing a rope bridge. Yea, we all know that means. It means he's doing Sorcerer meets Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. In the short story Alys has wagon pulled by horses. It has been changed to a bus. The head of the studio described the movie as "On a different planet in the future", but I wonder about that.

Regarding the editing his old editor is back. Which has me optimistic. So basically the editor of Resident Evil Redemption and a bunch of his earlier movies got blacklisted by the studio because he kicked and screamed about the theatrical cut of RE Retribution, which he was very unhappy with. (The studio reneged on releasing the director's cut on Blu Ray despite it being finished.) That's why RE6 and Monster Hunter had a new editor despite Anderson wanting his old guy back. If this movie is distributed by Screen Gems in the US, that would indicate the change was made when the old Screen Gems management changed a few years ago.
>>
>>198581403
Great, thanks!

> the sickle

I seem to remember that Milla had a post or maybe a story on her Instagram of the early tests of her costume, and she held a sickle in one of the shots. I really don't think I can find it now, though.
>>
>>198580920
Umbrella destroyed the world on purpose and everyone in the first movie, including Alice, is a clone. The entire "We need the original project Alice for our retarded plan" was a farce because that Alice was just another clone and the scientist doing the research didn't realize he was a clone. The real guy had fucked off to the apocalypse bunker years earlier.

It's not really clear whether In the Lost Lands is a secret Resident Evil sequel. I could see them leaving it ambiguous so they can confirm or deny it later.

Oh, yea, Screen Gems is working on a new Resident Evil movie but nobody knows anything about it, including whether it's another reboot or whether Milla is coming back.
>>
I'm curious when the trailer is going to release. It's about 5 months from release now. Usually films that they're hoping will do well get their trailers 4-6 months from release. With that in mind a May trailer drop does seem likely.
>>
>>198581403
>Apparently they wanted [...] Nicholas Cage
I don't know if I was primed by this text and this influenced my impression, but Bautista on that poster in the background really bears some resemblance to Cage, in terms of facial hair / makeup / etc.
>>
When Justin Lin suddenly left Fast & Furious 10 as a director some two weeks into filming and Universal massively shat their pants and scrambled to find a replacement director (and found Louis Letterier), do you think they gave Paul W S Anderson a call?

> has experience filming big-budget movies
> made a racing / car-focused movie before (Death Race and the low budget Shopping)
> likes flashy big badaboom retarded shit and knows how to approach it tonally (Resident Evil sequels)
>>
>>198580960
>My favorite Reddit thing ever
yikes
>>
>>198581403
>However, Gray Alys is unaware that this ability comes at a great cost
I have a bit of a problem with this line because in the short story, Alys is a shapeshifter herself. She has a series of cloaks in her wagon that she dons and can use to turn into a cat, into a hawk, etc. It sorta sounds like Alys is a witch in the movie, but she doesn't actually know how to shapeshift. But that could simply be losing nuances of German. Maybe it's saying that she doesn't realize the terrible price she'll pay to accomplish her mission, just as Melange doesn't realize the terrible price she'll pay for hiring Alys.

So the big twist in the short story and likely the film (aside from Boyce trying to murder Alys) is that Melange is in love with Boyce, and wants to become a werewolf to be with him. That's why she hired Alys. But what Alys does (all of Alys's deals are kinda fuck you deals), is kill Boyce (when he tries to murder her/betray her) then he flays him alive and turns his pelt into a magical cloak similar to the ones she uses. There's more to it than that but it's basically a "Be careful what you wish for" story. The thing is, the short story is 10 pages long. Of course they had to change a bunch of add a bunch of stuff into the middle to even have a movie. The short story tries to build suspense about the werewolf when there's, I shit you not, only three characters with dialogue. It's not exactly a twist that Boyce is the werewolf.
>>
File: Trailer Jovovich.png (950 KB, 732x913)
950 KB
950 KB PNG
>>198581467
The closest I can find is this picture that Ever posted that she probably shouldn't have posted because it's behind the scenes. (Having dinner inside their trailer, I think.) She has her face makeup on, but not her costume, but she's clearly demonstrating a fight scene or something.
>>
>>198581646
I'm sure he was on someone's list. However, I'm not sure Paul would play ball in terms of making a really soulless movie where the entire thing has been prevised before he even walks on set. A lot of directors want to leave their mark on a movie. The only reason to take such a project is to win favour with studios. Show that you're a team player who will get the job done.

However, Paul was busy anyway. He was working on the virtual sets for In the Lost Lands a year before the movie started filming, so that means he started in November 2021.

I suspect he took it personally when Matthew Macfadyen said:
>“I’ve done one big film like that, and it was a green-screen thing. It’s ass-paralyzingly boring, just acting to tennis balls and dots on the screen. You’re doing it for the money.”
That film he's talking about is Paul W.S. Anderson' Three Musketeers. I think Paul took that REALLY personally. Last year he stated:
>I wanted to avoid what I feel is a trap increasingly in modern science fiction and fantasy movies which is where the actors are just in front of a greenscreen or a bluescreen and they don't really know what the background's like. They don't really know what the environment is [that] they're in. Maybe there's a piece of production artwork that the director can show them. But really, those backgrounds aren't built. They don't really exist.
>>
>>198581951
Continued:
>
>So I thought, well, I wanna do something that's set entirely in a created world that looks completely different to anything if we just went outside and shot it. But I don't wannna have the actors fall into that "not knowing". And I don't want the director of photography not to know, either. Because, I'm sure you're aware, if the DP doesn't really know what the background looks like he or she can't light it properly. So that's why a lot of these big science fiction and fantasy movies... they have this kind of generic bluescreen/greenscreen lighting where you can see everything. Ultimately, when the background is married with the foreground in post-production, they don't really match because there's no lighting scheme that is on the foreground and background simultaneously, because the backgrounds are created after the fact. So you become increasingly aware that it's actors in front of a bluescreen. And even if you have all the money in the world you can't integrate them properly.
There have been so many big budget movies this year with really bad lighting. Nothing would please me more than Paul flexing on them with his approach of deciding what you want to shoot and then shooting it, as opposed to fucking around remaking the film from scratch in post-production.
>>
>>198581951
Too bad about Matthew. Three Musketeers is probably my favorite Anderson movie and Athos in particular is great in it.

>where the entire thing has been prevised before he even walks on set
Oh, sure. Letterier was then later talking a bunch of bullshit during the promo phase, about how he rewrote the final action setpieces while he was on the way to the production of Fast X. No mate you didn't, at most maybe you changed the exact location / background and stuff like that. The setpieces were locked in long long before that.
>>
>>198581800
Found the photo I was talking about. For some reason I remember there being one or two more shots, one of them with her holding the sickle or perhaps a magic stuff or whatever it is, but I can't find those. They might have been in temporary stories or maybe in a deleted post.
>>
>>198582023
To be fair to everyone involved, most movies with a lot of greenscreen leave the actors feeling lost and creatively unsatisfied. So I see why Anderson wanted to change that, to be able to, in realtime, show the actors what the movie was going to look like. An approximation, of course, because the backgrounds when they shoot are non-final. They're more like a game, wheras the final ones aim for photorealism.

But so many actors have talked about how they stand there and they've got no idea what they're meant to be looking at, and if they'd known they might have changed their performance. How big is the tower? How tall is the monster? How large is this room? All these things that leave the actors less immersed in their own performance if they're blind to them.

Now being able to show the actors the scene on a screen isn't as good as having full scale sets, but it's a heck of a lot better than the director gesturing impotently at a greenscreen. Anderson also clearly isn't a fan of the Volume, believing that foreground sets paired with virtual set extensions produce much better results. We'll see if he's right.

Stuff shot on volume is SHOCKINGLY commonly rotoscoped. So they hire people to replace the volume background with CG because they've changed their minds. It's daft.
>>
The combo of that grungy bus, modern firearms weaponry, and templar knights / fantasy swords / etc kind of low-key reminds me of Neil Marshall's Doomsday (2008).
>>
File: mj.jpg (44 KB, 468x326)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>198582023
Speaking of Three Musketeers, I was recently made aware that Milla publicly accused the American distributor, Summit, of fucking up and failing to market the movie. I wonder if there's truth to that. Because the following year, they got bought out by Lionsgate. Maybe they were having financial problems in late 2011.

Three Musketeers is an odd movie because it really feels like the distributor didn't sell the movie in America and as a consequence it went completely under the radar.
>>
>>198582116
It might have been a story. She posted heaps of those from her hotel room. The only one I have is the one where she's asked if she'll ever come back to Resident Evil and she says "stranger things have happened".
>>
>>198580709
that series must be great for money laundering. how many are they up to now, 38?
>>
>>198582205
I would legitimately not be surprised if Anderson watched his movies for inspiration. For example, Neil Marshall directed the werewolf film Dog Soldiers with Anderson's friend Sean Pertwee. In the Lost Lands is focused around werewolves although that's sort of a third act twist. He directed the 2019 Hellboy that had Milla in it. (And that film going off the rails was NOT Marshall's fault. He was fucked over from the start.)

I should actually watch Doomsday. I know the film but I've never actually seen it.
>>
>>198582240
There are the six original Paul W.S. Anderson films, which made 1.2 billion dollars collectively. Then there's everything else released since 2017 which have not done well.

Screen Gems are reportedly working on a new Resident Evil movie but currently no details are known. One oddity that miiight be relevant is that in 2022 Anderson revealed that he was about to shoot In the Lost Lands, but his next film would be a "real" horror film in the vein of Event Horizon. So... it's not impossible that he'll agree to come back and they'll make another RE movie but more horror focused. We'll find out eventually.
>>
Speaking of werewolves, Anderson also wrote a Castlevania screenplay in 2006. It will be interesting to see if any plot elements of this draft turn up here.
https://archive.org/details/CastlevaniaAnderson_201602/
>>
I wish they would just do an honest to god RE1 as a super campy horror movie like how the game was. just this nightmare ass house with shit crawling everywhere and hijinx ensue.
>>
>>198582263
Doomsday is very Anderson-like. If you're a fan, you'll like it.
>>
>>198581671
this place is infested with them lately
>>
>>198582321
On the topic of vampires and castles and Germans, I would have liked to see Anderson's (or perhaps Zack Snyder's) take on Bloodrayne.
>>
>>198582438
I would take basically any director with an appreciation of the human body and violence who can also competently make movies for BloodRayne. It's actually a shame Uwe Boll got BloodRayne because the cast and crew were actually pretty decent.

If I were adapting BloodRayne I would personally be inclined to realign it with its actual source material, which is Nocturne. Terminal Reality kept making games that were very obviously Nocturne sequels in disguise. And you could pull out a lot of neat material for the Spookhouse organization to make a plot about a very sexy half-vampire fighting bad guys.
>>
>>198582495
Yes, BloodRayne as a hypothetical "correct" adaptation should lean into the first game and into Nocturne and related vibes. Vampire and supernatural stuff that is uncomfortable and unsettling and creepy, even if it's sprinkled with "fun" charming grindhouse vibes.

There's Overlord (2018) which is really excellent. Same theme of "secret pages of WW2 history" with unnatural superhuman experiments and related themes.

You can't adapt the first game in an *extremely* direct way because the way it is split into its arcs/episode doesn't translate well to a coherent film story imo. But you could take, for example, the Argentina part with the daemites and rebuild it into a self-contained story.

Another thing I'd do is to make Rayne technically not the protagonist / not whom the viewer follows. Introduce a clandestine small squad of allied soldiers (a bit like Overlord) who cross paths with this really fucked up half-what-the-fuck??? creature who is apparently acting on her own orders but has a common goal. Make her cause conflicting emotions. On one hand she's on the side of the good guys, and she's pretty, on the other hand she's a fucking monster dude did you see what she just did?
>>
>>198582321
>https://archive.org/details/CastlevaniaAnderson_201602/
God this was so bad. Shits on the source material and ends on a cliff hanger. The Anderson special
>but it's Castlevania who cares
Then don't make a movie with a famous IP name to bait people and then do your own thing. Make this movie and don't call it Castlevania.
>>
>>198583183
What'a the problem with the script, though. Seems fine to me.
>>
>>198583183
Source material exists to be picked for parts. I'd gladly watch this take.
>>
>>198580709
>warped Christianity into some bizarre genocidal death cult?
Thats different from reality? You should really brush up on your history. Christianity was spread by the sword.
>>
>>198580709
>Remember the weird cult in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter that warped Christianity into some bizarre genocidal death cult?
no
to be frank I don't remember a single fucking thing from it apart from atrocious cuts

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.