[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 55544565441851.jpg (17 KB, 550x309)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>“Ironman shoot nuke to boogyman aliens and they blow up and the like, so as you’d expect, they make movies like that,” Miyazaki stated. “If someone is the enemy, it’s okay to kill endless numbers of them. Lord of the Rings is like that. If it’s the enemy, there’s killing without separation between civilians and soldiers. That falls within collateral damage.”
>“How many people are being killed in attacks in Afghanistan? The Lord of the Rings is a movie that has no problem doing that [not separating civilians from enemies, apparently]. If you read the original work, you’ll understand, but in reality, the ones who were being killed are Asians and Africans. Those who don’t know that, yet say they love fantasy are idiots.”
>“Even in the Indiana Jones movies, there is a white guy who, ‘bang,’ shoots people, right? Japanese people who go along and enjoy with that are unbelievably embarrassing,” he explained. “You are the ones that, ‘bang,’ get shot. Watching [those movies] without any self-awareness is unbelievable. There’s no pride, no historical perspective. You don’t know how you are viewed by a country like America.”

Was he Right about modern American politic-i mean movie making?
>>
>>198583115
I just sprayed the inside of the toilet with hot diarrhea
>>
>>198583229
dude fucking epic hahahahahah LOOOOOOL
>>
>>198583115
The Wind Rises is one of the most retarded movies I've watched
>>
>>198583115
>kills a billion chinks
>hahaha we wuz samurai and shit!
>gets nuked
>noooo america is le bad we waz just poor rice farmers!
>>
>>198583756
good rebuttal
>>
this fucking thread again, don't you guys get tired?
>>
>>198583115
>Ironman doesn't even bathe with his daughter. How can they call this filmmaking?
>>
I've always felt the same way about Lord of the Rings, even when I first watched it as a teenager
>>
>>198583115
kek what a stupid chinksect pedophile
>>
>>198583115
i'm torn. i disagree with him on this but i agree with him on it being okay to love a 12yo.
>>
Miyazaki is a pseudo intellectual snob who should stick to making cartoons instead of philosophizing about things he doesn’t understand.
Japan’s “old = wise” culture is awful. Boomers are the most retarded people on the planet.
>>
>>198584086
I mean, so did Tolkien. He found it troublesome to reconcile how easy it was for the heroes to just kill orcs without being troubled about it with his Catholic faith.
>>
File: joker.jpg (33 KB, 853x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>198583115
based desu
Though "we live in a society" and acknowledging the reality of how media works doesn't really change anything, so why not try to enjoy it on some level? At the end of the day, despite being correct, he comes off as a bitter old boomer.
Though at the very least he's putting his money where his mouth is and creating his own art to run counter to those messages. That gives him a level of ethos that a Twitter user saying the same thing does not.
>>
>>198583115
>Lord of the Rings is like that. If it’s the enemy, there’s killing without separation between civilians and soldiers. That falls within collateral damage.”
>>“How many people are being killed in attacks in Afghanistan? The Lord of the Rings is a movie that has no problem doing that [not separating civilians from enemies, apparently]. If you read the original work, you’ll understand, but in reality, the ones who were being killed are Asians and Africans. Those who don’t know that, yet say they love fantasy are idiots.”
because mongolians and arabs dindu nuffing
were the fuck was the collateral orc deaths in lotr, if he seen the movies or read the books he'd know these sallow slant eyed crimes against nature were the ones doing the collateral damage
>>
>>198584224
>He found it troublesome to reconcile how easy it was for the heroes to just kill orcs
maybe because orcs are just godless savages that want nothing but murder and rape? there is nothing wrong with killing vermin like that
oh fucking low-T you have to be to not understand that
>>
>>198584034
watch the movie and actually pay attention to the story, dont be duped by the whimsical animation
>>
>>198584296
im saying this as a big fan of miyazaki's films btw
>>
>>198583795

This. He acts like Japan never committed any atrocities.
>>
>>198583115
He's a shit cunt that can't move passed his own terrible movies.
The fact that he thinks anything he's done even comes within 1% of what Tolkien made is insane.
Fuck this guy and his shitty kid movies.
>>
File: juice.jpg (77 KB, 1280x640)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>198583115
now post his stance on the genocide in GAZA
>>
File: shigeru miyamoto.jpg (76 KB, 1136x640)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>198584086
>>198584224
At the very least there are some elements of LOTR that aren't based around us vs them warfare. Tolkien's idea of paradise is a bunch of midgets living comfy peaceful lives away from everyone else, humanity is seen as highly flawed and corruptable despite ultimately being the "good guys" vs the orcs. Sauron and Saruman also share some traits of the west like putting industrialization above nature, and warmongering. It's nature (represented by the ents) that ultimately defeats Saruman.
Tolkien said there were "orcs on both sides" when it came to the real world.
The issue is that if you were to take a half-measure and humanize the orcs, but keep the plot ultimately the same, that would make it arguably worse, because the heroes are killing beings capable of good instead of irredeemably evil monsters. It would be a sort of neoliberal/real-politik "we might be committing evil against those just like us but it's for the greater good" which is far more effective propaganda than "we are the light and they are the dark". It's a problem with a lot of stories that try to inject moral ambiguity while keeping the bones of the plot the same, you end up crafting a much worse more cynical message.
So you get to a point where you have to throw the whole thing out. Even having a war at all in your story is the problem. I think that's what Miyazaki was getting at. Depicting war as something heroic is the central message that leaks down and creates a bunch of other tribalist messages. You have to pull it out by the roots and make different kinds of stories. But then you have to ask yourself why so many big Hollywood movies hype up war as the ultimate event, then you look at how much the Department of Defense funds Hollywood...
>>
>>198584224
When in the movies do the "good guys" kill orcs apart from orcish soldiers in the context of a battle? When do they kill orc civilians? When do they kill orc women and children?
>>
>>198584458
That's the thing, there are no orc civilians in LOTR, which is insidious in itself. There is no such thing as an "innocent orc" in the first place, they are born evil.
>>
this nigger is low iq as fuck kek
spirited away is nigger pedophilic propaganda
>>
File: ErOMLj8WMAEYMNf.jpg (32 KB, 498x498)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>MUH ORC CIVILIANS
lmfaoooo
how dumb is this faggot
cackling
this is proof most artists are fucking retarded faggots that are good at making one thing and fucking retarded at everything else
>>
>>198584424
There should be a distinction in that war itself is portrayed as generally tragic and completely avoidable in Tolkien's work, the "war as something heroic" is applied solely to those defending themselves against an aggressor and for those who attempt to prevent it entirely. Hollywood's sort of glorification is a bit beyond that, in that defense is turned into a justification for invasion: something LotR never goes into (unless one counts the last, final desperate suicide run into Mordor to buy time as some kind of prelude into slaughtering "orc civilians")
>>
>>198583115
Uh actually Iron Man didn't shoot the nuke. The government did, planning on destroying New York and all it's civilians when Tony rerouted it to the portal that was letting in the invasion.
>>
>>198584500
What is pedophilic about it kek
>>
>>198583115
I was watching "The Marvels" and was kinda shocked with how many people they were blowing away. I also think it's partly the fault of cheaping out on makeup but at one point Fury kills a hot alien woman at point blank range during a fight scene and has zero reaction. Just killing loads of people in a weirdly sterile environment as they're not allowed to show blood, Black Panther 2 also suffers from this in their fight scenes.
>>
>>198583115
Gee I wonder why his movies are so annoying and gay
>>
>>198584608
That's true but a lot of warfare is framed in terms of self-defense even if you're actually the aggressor. No one wants to look like the aggressor, there's always some pretense.
>>
File: 1580924548023.jpg (32 KB, 600x449)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>198583115
He's a feminist hippie, so I don't care about his retarded thoughts
A shame, because he's a pretty good ideas guy, otherwise, but he sabotages himself with his own preachiness

Take Princess Mononoke for example
Great movie at first, but then you reach the part where they tell you over and over that Eboshi dindu nuffin, because she lost an arm, and decided to spoil a bunch of literal whores
The thing about saving leppers was kind of a good balance at being "morally gray", but then she goes back to her warmongering bullshit anyway
Yet, we are still supposed to feel pity about her so called "complex character", because VAGINA
And that's just one of the secondary characters
If I were to cite all the retarded double thinking regarding the title character, I would be here all day

...he's still kinda right about the burger goyim, tho
But that's more of a "broken clock right twice" thing
>>
File: 1583306554948.jpg (29 KB, 780x585)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>198583115
Why do people pretend the scene where Faramir mourns a dead Haradrim, stares directly into the camera and says 'He was misled, this is sad, he didn't deserve to die' didn't happen? The actual brown humans in the film are humanised. The fictional, non-human ontologically evil orcs who are a metaphor for europeans brutsalised by industrial warfare are not 'Asians and Africans'
>>
>>198583229
fpbp
>>
>>198585614
in lotr there is pretense other than satan jr. wanting to conquer the world
>>
>>198583115
>pretentious accomplished artist has a pretentious opinion he needs to vent

Who cares?
>>
>>198586312
>satan jr. wanting to conquer the world
For which we only have the assertions of Gandalf and the Elven clique
>>
>>198584491
>There is no such thing as an "innocent orc" in the first place, they are born evil.
Tolkien doesn't take that view
Regarding an orc soldier, Gandalf remarks to one of the hobbits
>who knows what lies brought him here, far from his home. Be not so quick to judge!
Or something like that
The orcs encountered were explicitly opposing army units
>>
>>198584320
Even though he hates the emperor and those responsible for Japan's atrocities up until WW2 and is an ardent left-wing pacifist and Communist?
>>
>>198584530
The reason why the Orcs are seen as a monolithic bad guy race is because of Tolkien's Christian morality, but also because he never got around to giving the Orcs the depth he gave the other main races of Middle Earth. There are hints of it, like how the Orcs are forced to serve Sauron and fight in a war when they'd rather go back to their normal tribal life, and why there's a constant tension between Orcs over tribal differences. That's also why the Orcs speak Common to each other because they speak different dialects and languages.
>>
>>198587771
As >>198585829 mentioned that’s either Faramir (movie) or Sam (book) about a human soldier of Sauron. Orcs are consistently portrayed as evil, though in the books there’s indications that they’re kept in line through fear and would rather be doing their own thing (though that’s implied to be basically banditry). I’ve heard Tolkien considered either having Frodo and Sam run into friendly orcs or making orcs into basically nonsentient golems but I’ve never seen a source on that
>>
>>198588096
This also might be one of the reasons why Christopher Tolkien hated Jackson's movies, since the movie leans into how the Orcs are essentially cannon fodder who can be killed by the thousands, with very little in the way of hinting at any depth in their society.
>>
>>198587996
Yes, since every enemy the Japanese fought in a war could claim the same retarded thing about Japanese movies. I doubt all American movie makers are war loving murderers yet he makes no distinction and generalises about all American media.
>>
>>198583115
He's super wrong, the whole point of killing aliens and robots in Marvel movies is because killing a lot of actual people would be beyond the pale but they still want a big fight.
>>
>>198588695
The diff is japs got nuked and their shit kicked in and were occupied for some time, there's no way they could ever make any pro jap ww2 shit without getting shot or protested against
After ww2 the US got into a bunch wars and proxy wars and threw their dick around the world, and Americans are proud of that shit cuz muh freedom.
Miyazaki is only pointing out American culture tends to like praising the attitude of, pull out my guns and mow these commie hippie bastards down cuz America fuck yeah we're the big baddies
>all the marvel slop movies have some scene where they're just mowing down adds and hella people like it
>war games super popular, cod, battlefield
>school shootings

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.