[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What the hell was 1978 CBS thinking when making this?
>>
Skip to 1:00:44 for one of the saddest Star Wars moments.
https://youtu.be/KxtSX1lg8rE?si=hkNKAT3e7Xfae87v
>>
>>198598790
>Even if it flops, it's not like anyone will be able to re-watch it and criticize it, and even if they do tape it, how are they going to distribute it? You'd need some kind of world wide web for any significant amount of people to criticize it.
>does another line of coke
>>
George Lucas was kind of a pompous douche for publicly "disowning" this when he had little to no involvement in it in the first place.
>>
Still better than the prequels
>>
>>198599202
You would think that would have been a lesson learned about letting other people have creative control over your movie series. But then he sold to Disney and they've done a thousand times worse to it than this dumb special did.
>>
>>198598790
this was the hottest shit at every Comic Book / Sci Fi Con back before the internet
>>
>>198598790
>Every fucking kid on the planet is going to watch this
>Ad rates through the roof
>Is it good? Who gives a shit?
See also: NBC and KISS Meets The Phantom of The Park
>>
>>198599139
One wookie child mourning his stuffed animal in the shitty Christmas special is somehow more poignant than the entire fucking planets that got lasered to oblivion in TFA.
>>
This is from February 2006, so 27 years since the special aired.
https://youtu.be/l2iVrMEAP5E?si=7nV_TC6EpEYaCU0V
>>
>>198599139
>>
>>198598790
That variety hour shit was popular back then and TV wasn't at its peak yet. Just look up Battle of the Network Stars for more examples. Besides it was either watch the Star Wars Holiday special or Gilligans Island for the billionth time.
>>
File: 1714066424848430.jpg (42 KB, 780x438)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Geez
>>
They knew they could make some money by slapping together garbage with the Star Wars brand on it. Similar to today
>>
File: 1707352153308421.gif (2.41 MB, 480x270)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB GIF
>>198598790
I watched this on broadcast. No one had been willing to take me to the movie, I was 6 when it came out. Fair enough, but that was crushing because the commercials and toys were absolute brain candy for me and my friends. In the seventies, if you didn't see a movie during its theater run you were not going to see it for a very long time. Movies on tv were mostly funded by local stations, not the network. Local stations could afford old movies, not anything hot. No video tape, no cable or internet. The Christmas special was pretty awesome for 7 year old me, I had been thinking about the movie for a full year having only seen the commercials and toys.
All the networks had in-house development that were tasked to churn out specialty programming to give the executives a little bit of wiggle room on programming. The folks in the skits were go-to regulars meant to appeal to a wide audience, mom and pop might tune in to see Tim Conway.
It's awful, but I loved it because it was the best starwars I actually got to see. Some of the awful is intentional, people expected shows like this to be corny and wink at the camera a lot. George hated it, but George got no place to stand after selling it to girl-boss Disney.
>>
>>198598790
>"This will be a really good Rifftrax in about 30 years"
>>
>Holiday Special: November 1978
>Empire Strikes Back: May 1980
I wonder if the people who saw the special still remembered it by the time ESB came out.
>>
>>198599408
>Besides it was either watch the Star Wars Holiday special or Gilligans Island for the billionth time.
Wonder Woman and The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNmReo_80g
>>
>>198599407
Cut the chatter, Red Two
>>
>>198598790
>>198599202
The funniest thing is that the writers Disney entrusted made this canon again
>>
>>198600149
Not that there weren't good shows just TV got better with each decade but the 90s while producing kino simultaneously tried to destroy it with reality shows.
>>
File: bobafett.jpg (20 KB, 320x180)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
i always heard about this as a kid and then finally torrented it in the early 00's and it was.... fine. it was obviously not a 'real' star wars movie... and just a holiday special.... i remember watching other kinds of holiday specials as a kid and they were always campy shlock. i equated this with "luke skywalker's" appearance on the muppet show/etc. just goofy fun.

the star wars holiday special also gave us the boba fett short animation which birthed the DROIDS cartoon series, the ewok movies, and the ewok cartoon series. without the holiday special we would have maybe gotten none of that.
>>
>>198598790
For the one thing, the old farts in the 70's didn't get this new kind of science fiction - they were used to the old serials and Barberella, and as far as a TV special goes, they couldn't wrap their heads around more than the tried and true televsion format of the 70's - the variety special
So what you got was this ersatz campy Star Wars Holiday variety show with skits, songs, dancers and some kind of half-baked holiday plot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.