[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shogun.jpg (197 KB, 1000x1250)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Just finished watching Shogun
I had avoided it as I was convinced it would be hollywood DEI slop

I was completely wrong
It's was actually pretty kino
Set design and costumes were great for TV budget
Casting was very good
Enjoyed Englishman character and his "What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal?" outbursts

Didn't notice a single forced DEI casting or script point throughout.
No hollywood race politics or rainbow flag bullshit
No replacing Japanese actresses with Zendaya or similar
>>
>>199016579
> Didn't notice a single forced DEI casting
The actor playing an Englishman is Armenian in whiteface and blue contacts
>>
>>199016970
The blue contacts were really distracting yeah
>>
I liked it. However, the show runners were pretty adamant about not having this be a "white savior" story and it's pretty evident with how Blackthorne is sidelined a lot during the show. It mainly focused on Mariko.
>>
>>199016579
OMG i just watched le show weeks after everyone is done talking about it
>and it was as le based, it had cool samurais and ninjas
>and my favourite WMAF kindo
cant wait for season 2 bros
>>
>>199016579
What the fuck does DEI mean?
>>
>>199016970
Desperate stretch to claim that as DEI casting
His father is British and he grew up here.
And he's playing a protestant merchantman sailing under a Dutch flag
Casting is spot on for that role.
>>
>>199017074
> OMG i just watched le show weeks after everyone is done talking about it

Literally the point of the thread you illiterate cockwomble
>>
>>199017086
divide et impera
>>
>>199017188
And why did you expect anyone to know what that acronym is?
>>
>Nothing happens: the show (in japanese!)
Well, I like it, but it has at least 2 more episodes than it should
>>
>>199017118
for you
>>
>>199017924
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are three closely linked values held by many organizations that are working to be supportive of different groups of individuals, including people of different races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations.
>>
>>199016579
>Set design and costumes were great for TV budget
it was a high budget series and half the sets looked soulless and barren

they made japan look like a grim desolate wasteland
>>
>>199016579
something can still be shit without DEI sadly
>>
>>199018111
> japan
Didn’t help that that Japan was British Columbia
>>
>>199018181
Anjin was DEI
>>
>>199017031
It's an adaptation of an adaptation of a book where he doesn't he do anything either.
>>
>>199016579
Not only did they refuse to cast brack people, but they also removed a gay scene from the book.
>>
>>199018228
Anjin is black
>>
>DEI
Damn, retards learnt a new acronym
>>
>>199016579
the fuck is DEI?
>>
>>199017031
I mean even in the book he’s really just a pawn in this big complicated political conflict between two lords. He has his own agenda but it ends up getting sidelined as he ends up falling in with Torunaga. He’s essentially a walking plot device in both versions of the story.
>>
>>199018317
>
>>199018089
>>
>>199016579
It was typical Hollywood "everything is grey and has a weird lense over it" bullshit. Watch the original series or even better, read the book.
>>
>>199017086
Darkies Everywhere, Innit?
>>
>>199018089
And once again why do you think you can make up an acronym and expect anyone to know what your talking about?
>>
>>199018270
Are you mentally unstable or simply have terrible eyesight?
>>
>>199018777
(((They))) made it up not me
>>
>>199018794
I don’t need contacts to have blue eyes
Check out the actor’s real hair and skin color, he is a shitskin
>>
File: 1710766203356686.gif (3.24 MB, 164x267)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB GIF
Can't be bothered to even begin to look up which streaming service is available in my non-US country for this. Plus fuck streaming quality, the banding around dark colors and general artifacting will distract me, I don't have a 48" OLED monitor for no reason.

where do I get torrents for shows? last one I watched was BB a decade ago and forgot how I got my hands on it
>>
Just watched the first episode. Loved the interactions between the english man and richard alpert rodriguez.
>>
>>199018407
He gets laid a lot more in the book. His bwc is basically its own character and even gets a round of applause from a group of villagers when they see it.
>>
>>199018317
It's a form of workplace discrimination that hasn't been stamped out yet
>>
>>199018196
small beer relatively speaking
>>
>>199018317
mandatory non-whites shitting up everything and everywhere
>>
>>199020327
I don’t know, why wasn’t the Shogun half-Armenian?
>>
File: 835463874.jpg (47 KB, 851x644)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>199016579
> It's was actually pretty kino

It wasn't bad but it could have easily been better and it appears to have been a success, so I'm guessing they'll adapt Clavell's novel "Tai-Pan" next.

> Set design and costumes were great for TV budget

The costumes were nice but the sets were lame, everything was a rain soaked forest even 10' outside of Osaka but my understanding was that she show had to be filmed in Canada because of covid and thus the production couldn't use the fuckloads of existing medieval Japanese sets available in Japan.

Also, the weird fisheye lens and blue tint to everything was annoying.

> Casting was very good

I thought Mariko was kinda weird looking but she's American and they needed an actress who could speak both Japanese and English.

> Enjoyed Englishman character and his "What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal?" outbursts

They really dropped the ball here. The original story is centered around Blackthorne and his fish-out-of-water situation but the new tv series sidelined him to focus on stronk grrl Mariko who don't need no gaijin.

> Didn't notice a single forced DEI casting or script point throughout.

Well, it's set in medieval Japan, so.

> No hollywood race politics or rainbow flag bullshit

Blackthorne being forced to adjust to Japanese society is kinda "race politics" but they's an integral part of the story.

> No replacing Japanese actresses with Zendaya or similar

Thank Budda for that!
>>
Lol at all the illiterate mutts getting upset at a new acronym because it means they have to use up their only free brain cell to learn a new fact

>>199020933
I've never read the books so I can't comment on the book Blackthorne vs TV
I've grabbed the books and audiobooks from tracker so will give them a go

Mariko's English was an error I think. It's the old classic trope of "I speak a little of your language..." and then spending the rest of the film/series speaking in fluent, poetic, and deeply insightful English, never hesitating for vocabulary or grammar. She also was a bit too much of a warrior princess too.

I thought the constant rain was kino. Reminded me of Kurosawa and Zatoichi.

Stuff set in medieval europe hasn't stopped slop makers from casting DEI actors before so I genuinely expected them do it. Not one of the main ones, but some sort 'cool black character' that reddit would lose their shit over - like a black shinobi that reminds them of that star wars bounty hunter person.
>>
>>199018439
> he thinks I take instructions from the cockwombles of /tv/
>>
>>199021688
The acronym is a scam and you know it.
>>
>>199016970
Listen to this Anglo seethe.
Armenians are the true Aryans.
>>
>>199018272
Well, Blackrock changed the name. It used to be ESG.
>>
>>199018317
One of the biggest investment firms invests in Hollywood studios that commit to "Diversity, equity, and inclusion ". Somehow a giant wall street firm is pushing leftist identity politics. Probably as a ruse to con leftist idiots to fall in line with Wall Street.
>>
>>199022150
It's a continued reaction to occupy wall street
>>
>>199020933
>They really dropped the ball here. The original story is centered around Blackthorne and his fish-out-of-water situation but the new tv series sidelined him to focus on stronk grrl Mariko who don't need no gaijin.
The book is primarily focused on toranaga, despite what whiny progressives say.
I agree the show is obnoxiously Mariko-centric, as her charater just isn't that deep in the book or show
>>
>>199022105
always good to see the peasants adopt the linguo of their masters so quickly
>>
>>199016579
Which is better, this or the 1980s one?
>>
File: 1711950025564072.jpg (252 KB, 1024x1024)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>Asian men hate the show because a white guy fucks Asian women
>Catholics hate the show because John Blackthorne hates them
>Protestants hate the show because John didn't do a whole lot to defeat the Catholics
>Bookfags hate the show because it didn't copy the books 1:1
>Marvelfags hate the show because there is no soulless epic battle or orange slices
>Illiterates hate the show because they have to read subtitles
>Normies hate the show because because Japan is too weird for them
>Zoomers hate the show because it's longer than 5 seconds and thats too much time away from their phones
>Contrarians hate the show because it's good
>Boomers hate the show because a 1980 version exists and "Old Good, New Bad" is their slogan
>Animefags hate the show because Toranaga doesn't have an episode long fight with Ishido that takes place mid-air with their katanas clashing a thousand times a second
>Lefties hate the show because a strong black woman doesn't become Shogun
>/pol/ hates the show because it didn't have John become Shogun while turning Japan into his personal harem
>Lobsters hate the show because there is boiling water
>Only the cultured few who wanted to see a story that remained authentic and true to the Japanese culture of the period enjoyed the show.
Water flows through stones
The sticks and twigs may not pass
The stream becomes pure
>>
>>199022543
The 1980s one focuses on the romance between Mariko and Blackthorne and pushes the political intrigue on the background
The new one focuses on the political intrigue and pushes the romance between Mariko and Blackthorne on the background
>>
>>199022543
This one is more inclusive so uh yeah ummmm
>>
>>199022633
I never seent a filter haiku before
>>
>>199019239
So you just immediately start using it? That's even worse
>>
File: 1711634877102461.webm (3.56 MB, 1280x720)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB WEBM
>>
File: Anjin-san 56373737.jpg (61 KB, 785x985)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>199022334
>The book is primarily focused on toranaga, despite what whiny progressives say.

It's Toranaga's actions that drive the plot but the book is centered on Blackthorne.
>>
>>199020933
>I'm guessing they'll adapt Clavell's novel "Tai-Pan" next.
>Hong Kong and the Opium Wars
Eh. It isn't quite the same. And I doubt there would not be interference from China unless they film it here and it wouldn't be the same. Hiroyuki Sanada ensured it was an authentic Japanese production. I can't imagine getting the same from modern China. Certainly they'd love to paint the British as a bunch of war mongering drug dealers, which they were, but I wonder if they'd even allow a production.
>>
>>199022633
>>Catholics hate the show because John Blackthorne hates them
>>Protestants hate the show because John didn't do a whole lot to defeat the Catholics
Orthodox Christians just sit back and laugh at the heretics fighting each other.
>>
File: workers power.jpg (67 KB, 400x509)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>199022365
You gotta learn how the chains are forged to break them.
Okay, I'm a fairly right wing kinda guy... but I also think those at the top have corrupted capitalism in horrible ways. I am not down with the lefties, but I like this comic illustrating how certain powerful cabals like to keep workers fighting among themselves about stupid race shit.
>>
>>199023484
baka anjin
>>
>>199022633
>>Animefags hate the show because Toranaga doesn't have an episode long fight with Ishido that takes place mid-air with their katanas clashing a thousand times a second
That's what Sengoku Basara is for.
>>
>>199024041
>You gotta learn how the chains are forged to break them.
No, adopting the Newspeak means you are submitting to it, even if you don't realize it. I think the first step in getting free of the quagmire that's been internet discourse for the past ten years is freeing oneself from all the nomenclature
>>
>>199024124
I agree with that when it comes to all this pronoun bullshit, but when you are trying to point out how the system works and how these people are controlling studios, I think highlighting the terms they use among each other helps whistleblow how they make the sausage.
>>
>>199016579
>No hollywood race politics or rainbow flag bullshit
It literally pushes the WMAF agenda. Main girl cucks her husband after getting BLEACHED.
>>
>>199017086
Didn't earn it
>>
>>199025775
She thought he was dead when she pursued John and she never did again
Also the flashbacks showed he was always opposed to her arranged marriage so she wanted out before John ever washed up. You tried.
>>
>>199016579
Japanese speaks japanese
british speaks english
spaniards and portuguese speaks english

lol, fuck this garbage
>>
>>199016579
You forgot “humiliation ritual” and “woke” Mr. Eastern European incel. If you’re gonna be a parrot, at least parrot all the lame terms racist white virgins parrot.
>>
>>199024041
The races have fundamentally different interests due to different innate ability. Capitalists do exploit this, but certain populations are still better off as tools in the capitalist divide-and-conquer game than they would be on their own, so they will never help overthrow the system.
>>
>>199020933
>I thought Mariko was kinda weird looking
The only good looking woman in the entire cast.
>>
>>199026732
No one wants to listen to some retarded gobbledigook portuguese for the entire show, it's not even a concession to switch it to english.
>>
File: 1709754590996686.gif (135 KB, 250x203)
135 KB
135 KB GIF
>season 2 confirmed
SHOBROS WE ARE SO BACK
>>
>>199027936
But Shogun is finished. Are they doing Tai-pan?
>>
>>199019922
What is that gif from?
>>
>>199028041
I don't think so, also the source is just some Forbes article saying that Sanada is signed on for another season.
>>
>>199028330
Hell I'll watch that, he's always good. Only reason I bothered to watch that new Mortal Kombat piece of shit, too.
>>
File: At last.png (33 KB, 255x216)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>199017188
Unironically based, I'm stealing this, thanks.
>>
File: Hong Kong.jpg (455 KB, 1216x1150)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
>>199023953
>>I'm guessing they'll adapt Clavell's novel "Tai-Pan" next.
>Eh. It isn't quite the same. And I doubt there would not be interference from China

It could be filmed in Singapore or Taiwan or even in the U.S./Canada, seeing as Hong Kong today doesn't look anything like the Hong Kong of 1841.
>>
>>199022633
>>/pol/ hates the show because it didn't have John become Shogun while turning Japan into his personal harem
based pol as always
>>
>>199026676
>and she never did again
did you stop watching the show after the cucktaroo on the coast episode or? lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.