[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screenshot_1.jpg (93 KB, 570x664)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
The /vm/ Ruins & Riches server has returned, this time on the Adventurers of Akalabeth fork. Unlike other forks, AoA is mostly bug fixes and QOL tweaks. Of particular note is being able to craft in bulk and get skill increases from each item crafted. You can check out all the updates and download the client (link in the discussion tab if you don't have a servuo account) here: https://www.servuo.com/archive/adventurers-of-akalabeth.2014/
I did revert the strange portal change. Having a return portal is gay and misses the point.

I've also made some other changes to keep the content from getting too easy too quickly. First is magic damage against monsters is reduced from 200% to 125%. Second is removing the 20% drop chance for messages in a bottle that all sea creatures get. This made it far too easy to sail around or go to sea dungeons and hoard treasure maps for artifacts. Now just like base UO you can only get them from fishing, krakens and leviathans.

Changes from default settings:
>stat gain every 10m instead of 15
>vendors always buy rare items
>need line of sight to see mobs
>player corpse bones persist for a year
>no hunger/thirst inside banks, inns or houses
>all creature races start as evil
>vendors have a chance to sell crafting resources

To connect, change the IP in settings.json to 15.204.209.63. The server is in Virginia and it was fine for eurofags last time.
>>
>Some hermit spent the last decade (probably more) turning UO into his own sandbox adventure game so you can enjoy it alone or with a small party
>It's very focused on exploration, it's a bunch of new world maps filled with towns and dungeons, you have to look for clues to figure out the paths between worlds.
>A lot of skills were rebalanced or extensively changed so they aren't completely useless.
>For crafting professions, if you acquire a house you can open up a shop and get crafting contracts.
>There isn't a storyline, quests are all random. Quest boards in town can give you random contracts like killing a lizard in a dungeon you've never heard of. You can also find epic quest books asking you to collect a bunch of unique items nobody knows where they were buried. You can listen to the random NPCs dialogue in town to sometimes get hints at where things are located.
>Resurrecting eats away your skill points if you can't pay the tribute, the traps in dungeons are brutal (I've had one reverse my karma once so I had to live in spooky town underground for a while as good-aligned town guards hated me), there are random portals in the overworld that can send you deep into hell or summon demons to rip your asshole in two if you're not careful
>I tried hosting it locally to play with friends and we had a good time, the world is really big so you can all do your own thing if you want to. Adventuring in groups is also fun as you can cover your asses in case someone gets fucked by a trap or a boss, we've had to organize a few rescue operations to recover the corpses of characters that made bad decisions. There's a lot of funny builds you can try out, depending on your character origin you can also get higher skill caps to expand possibilities
t. anon from the first server
>>
Oh also I recommend using the TazUO client. It has grid containers and other QOL stuff. Just download it from https://github.com/bittiez/TazUO/releases and replace the files in the AoA client directory.
>>
>>1215004
Hey, thats me!
>>
>>1215003
Ehmmm UO bros.
>>
>>1215385
And we're back.
>>
>>1215003
Nice to see this back. Had a great time with anons the first time around. Will hop on tonight.
>>
so how grindy is it? typical UO or is it faster progression since it's tuned for single player?
>>
Dudes.. i want to touch it so badly.
>>1216193
It snowballs. It starts slow AF, but once you get your first artifacts, you snowball into a gigachad.
>>
>>1216234
Touch it.
>It starts slow AF, but once you get your first artifacts, you snowball into a gigachad.
This, but also you shouldn't approach this like a typical UO shard. Think of it more like a sandbox Ultima VII. There is a TON of shit to discover and you're well rewarded for exploring. The game world is huge. Read the PDF that came with the game, because Djeryv explains exactly what this game is and what it isn't. If you are used to modern games that tell you to go to point A, to B, to C then this ain't it.

>There are many other different elements that you will have to discover on your own. If you enjoyed tales of Conan or Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. If you played older D&D games where characters were in constant danger. If you like older computer role-playing games and want to play something where you simply exist in a fantasy world, then go ahead and give this a try. It was designed to play many different types of character classes, instead of the common ones most people play. You can be a very effective adventurer being a necromancer, alchemist, bard, thief, or assassin. You will get the most out of this game if you try different professions and see how you can navigate the dangers with them. There are a ton of things to do so you just need to pick a path and go as the only goal of the game is what you set for yourself.
>>
>>1216193
Joining a guild makes the skills associated with the guild go up faster. For example the Warrior guild skills are Swordsmanship/Tactics/Parry. You can also switch guilds for gold, but each time you switch the cost increases.
>>
>>1216250
>Touch it.
Nothing happened. I need to read a book first?
>>
>>1216270
Probably
>>
my new name is Bradney, no one will ever suspect of my past slaying niggers.
>>
Merchants still dont want to buy or sell me stuff, i dunno if its a bug or intended, but its ok.
>>
>>1216407
Disguises just get you through town without the guards heeming you iirc
>>
>>1216405
>>1216407
fugitive? go to stonewall
>>
This is the 3rd time i die and lose all my taming progress. please save my soul.
>>
>>1216482
Fugitive is pretty brutal.
>>
>>1216511
Is it there a way to make guards as strong as a dragon, instead of making em gods that kills stuff in 1 hit? I want to get revenge on the society that hunted me once shit hits the fan.
>>
Lemme tell you a couple of three things.
>You can have 2 accounts per IP.
I originally had it set to 1 because I think having 2 characters logged in at once goes against the spirit of this thing, but people are going to want more character slots eventually and it's not a competitive server (although I'm not against PKing) so who gives a shit if someone wants to macro 2 characters all day. Go nuts if that's how you want to play.
>You can no longer sell bolts of cloth/balls of yarn to NPC vendors.
This was a setting that AoA added and I like it. Cloth farming trivializes the early game gold scarcity and remains more profitable than dungeon diving for quite a while. I haven't even created a character yet so I haven't taken advantage of it before making the change.

>>1216528
Possibly. I'm thinking of doing random events in the future, like monsters invading towns. Obviously that won't work with godlike guards.
>>
Found this archived thread of "helpful newbie advice" from the now defunct Odyssey forum https://web.archive.org/web/20220430234652/https://britainknights.com/viewtopic.php?t=110
>>
>>1216578
>Possibly. I'm thinking of doing random events in the future, like monsters invading towns. Obviously that won't work with godlike guards.
Based and invasion pilled.
>>
I hate poison so much its unreal.
>>
Im growing stronger
>>
>>1218224
Nice. Did the follower issue resolve itself?
>>
>>1218228
Y it did
>>
is it still up? getting a socket error
>>
>>1218657
Yeah it's back up. VPS crashed and I haven't set up an auto start script yet. I should get on that.
>>
>>1218081
Same. Almost every enemy uses it
>>
Starting your first character as a mage is painful, but I am determined.
>>
>>1219581
I started as a tamer, in hardcore mode (hanged man). It's painful AF, but i have 300 extra points for skills
>>
>Beta the Perceptive
>>
>>1219935
>in the bank
oy vey
>>
>>1219978
You don't know how much pain i went through to get to the bank playing as a fugitive. Shit's insane, i'm really having fun with my progression tho, baby steps to greatness.
>>
>>1219993
did you find Stonewall?
>>
File: Screenshot_251.jpg (119 KB, 736x533)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>letting a bunch of sheep beat up on you to train parrying
just like they did in ye olden times
>>
>>1220054
Y, it was hard tho, i'm quite noob at this game mod.
>>
>>1216234
Been playing on my own solo server and just finished this quest but where do I use the tree key? I don't remember seeing anything for it and just kept going forward until I got to the end and still didn't find it.
>>
>>1220351
Where did you find the tree key? I did Skara Brae on the last server /vm/ had. There aren't many online resources so I don't remember the names of the keys but I do roughly remember the overall path I had to take to get out.
>>
>>1218670
Getting a socket error again if you're around.
>>
>>1220361
I think I got it from shattering the statue with the crystal sword not 100% sure that I got it from there though but as far as I could tell it's not used in the main quest.
>>
>>1220369
Yeah the VPS is rebooting every night and I'm trying to figure out why. The logs aren't being very helpful. This is the same host/same setup I used last time and I don't think the VPS crashed even once. I'll put the server back up for now.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (82 KB, 478x434)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>1220381
Loaded an older save and here's my quest log right before the final boss.
>>
>>1220381
wasn't breaking the statue for one of the 3 crystal objects you need? it's either that or it also gave a key to one of the gates in the sewers. I think after I explored that big triangular castle with the statue and the keyword for the emerald gate I went into the sewers to get into mangar's tower but I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering correctly.
>>
>>1220395
The silver object in Kylearan's tower was from a chest guarded by a dragon and Kylearan himself gives you the key to the sewers.
>>
>>1220351
Can't remember, if i recall well, only 2 schizos managed to do Skara on the last server. and both did it with starter characters.
>>
>>1220351
Can't remember, if i recall well, only 2 schizos managed to do Skara on the last server. And both did it with starter characters. I can be wrong tho, since i only played for a month.
>>
>>1220389
I reached out to the host about this. The interesting thing is that it always does it in the early morning hours EDT. In the meantime I've set the server up to autostart on reboot and the next time I restart the server save frequency will be every 20 minutes.
>>
After searching r*ddit as a last resort according to one post you use the tree key to get into the room where Kylearan is.
I don't recall any text popping up when opening that door but I've been backtracking everywhere and couldn't find shit so I'll just accept that as the truth.
>>
I took the server down for a few minutes while I try to troubleshoot something.
>>
are mages bad starting characters?
>>
>>1220992
It depends, if you go elementalist, you're quite op at the start, but mages, require resources scrolls and stuff. This said, mages are the most OP class on end game. They can spam powerful ancient magic spells at 0 reagent cost, and virtually infinite mp.
>>
>>1221042
Elementalists decay hard on mid game tho, since most high level mage monsters just dispel your summons.
>>
>>1220433
>>1220432
some other guys did it after those 2 had their epic adventure and escaped - probably a few weeks or a month after
>>
Server is finally back up. It will now restart automatically on either a system or server crash. Linux is a bitch.
>>
I really like the Soulbound mode on Adventures. May see about stealing it.
>>
>probably a few weeks or a month after
So... full geared with dwarven ore gear.
>>
>>1221537
That is the best thing they added. For those who don't know, it's randomized starting skills/gear hardcore mode. When you die you start as a new character in a random starting location with new starting skills/gear. You don't get any bonuses from items except resists. Instead you can accumulate "soulforce" to attain item bonuses permanently and they follow you through death. Pretty cool system that adds some longevity to the game. Would be cool to get it working without all the other less good - to be kind - additions in UA.
>>
>>1221920
>>1221537
sounds pretty fun.
>>
Hey im a retard that playe dlike once and then stopped playing after the guy gave me walktrought for playing the game i remember he said how he will make written guide for retards for me did he do it ?
>>
>>1221934
not sure. what did you want a guide for exactly? the game mechanics? or did you want like a guide on locations and what you can do in each place? I can write up something if I have the knowledge.
>>
>>1221962
Well kinda ish like begginers guide aka which class to pick,where to farm,some game controls etc its hard to explain since i dont know what i would need
>>
File: sosaria map.jpg (109 KB, 1400x854)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>1221966
pic related for baby first dungeon. Paladin is a good starter class, just keep in mind you need to first get some points into your weapon of choice skill and Tactics skill so you don't miss 9 out of 10 attacks. Game controls are easy, use mouse, configure some macros in either razor or ingame to give hotkeys to certain actions like healing yourself. Get some bandages from the priest and cure potions from the local alchemist (poison is no joke). Then you just kill stuff, explore the world, buy a boat, explore other worlds, read books looking for information regarding places and treasures, etc.
>>
Also, when you get enough gold and str, try to always carry a 10 foot pole so you can deactivate traps. Traps are another fun mechanic here, because they screw you so badly its fun.
>>
>>1222078
sorry, wrong picture. heres the one with the baby dungeons.
>>
The server is shitting itself, this is the 3rd time in less than 10 minutes that the server drops me.
>>
>>1222599
4th time now, i'll log out, it's unplayable right now and im not gonna risk dying because i get dropped midfight.
>>
File: Screenshot_252.jpg (3 KB, 138x52)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>1222599
>>1222605
might be a you problem.
>>
>>1222607
Probably ill restart my router. Countryside internet sucks.
>>
Went to the tomb dungeon with 4 elder bears, i went through the first levels in a breeze, but i got cucked by sand spiders with lethal poison. I got killed and all my bears died from poison after the fight. 10/10, ill miss you bobo.
>>
>>1223114
kek
poison is so shitty
>>
server dead?
>>
>>1223366
Don't think so
>>
>>1223414
nice it's back. it was down for like 5~ minutes
>>
>>1222078
>>1222087
I joined the server and im in Britain what would be places where i can get my skills up and which weapons should i get ? (im paladin and i like swords Rapier looked interesting)
>>
>>1223451
you can hit some dummies in one of the buildings near the blacksmith to get a few early skill levels. after that you should probably hit some weak animals like birds and goats to get your weapon skill and tactics up so you have higher accuracy.
>>
>Do not play this game if your play style is that which belongs on current Ultima Online servers. This game will disappoint you. There are no champion spawns, or other types of major events where mass players are involved. This is a game of living in a virtual fantasy environment, where you explore the lands and brave the dungeons to acquire skill, treasure, and knowledge. There are no safety nets, no item insurance, and death will cost you either trained abilities or precious gold. The dangers are more worrisome than simply death. If you find older style Dungeons & Dragons games unforgiving...this game isn’t for you.
>If you need detailed web sites, telling you every secret to this game. If you need to have a character with unlimited power. If you require a character to begin their journey with powerful artifacts. If you cannot function without a game that leads you from point A to B to C...this game isn’t for you.
>A mistake players commonly make is approaching this like an Ultima Online game. They felt that information was hidden from them when in fact it was freely available in the world. So treat this like an older Ultima game and not an MMORPG. Talk to NPCs and read the books or scrolls you find. Some information may be useless to you, but you may learn something about the world that becomes your next quest.
t. Djeryv
That said, here's a r*ddit post with links to a bunch of helpful posts containing various levels of spoilers. https://old.reddit.com/r/uodyssey/comments/y68b3h/index_of_helpful_posts_obviously_contains_spoilers/
>>
This mfker is camping me.
>>
>>1223617
ok and which sword would be good for starter ?
>>
>>1223735
All weapons have perks. Early on they'll feel pretty similar other than speed (maces are slower). Later on you'll get weapon skills that do different things like armor pierce or multitarget attacks. Certain weapons in a category have skills which give them an advantage, I suggest picking whichever you think looks cool in a category (bludgeoning, fencing, swordsmanship) and you can find weapon skills you like within those categories later on. Swordsmanship has the largest pool of weapons so you'll probably find more weapons for it while exploring
>>
>>1223749
I seen that weapons have also durability how fast does it degrade and is it easy to fix the weapon ? (also can i duald wield rapier and starting dagger for bonus attacks ?) (im soon going to sleep so im curious for tomorrow what to try)
>>
>>1223758
NPCs can repair them but early on it won't be a problem because you won't be using them for too long before upgrading to one you find from a dungeon. As you progress you'll eventually find items with "Self Repair" on them which means they actually repair themselves a bit each time they takes damage so it slows down durability loss significantly.
>>
bushido parry works with wizard staves
based
>>
>>1223900
bushido parry is op, don't you know about the famous reaper samurai build in vanilla UO? necro ethereal form + bushido. Dunno if that works here tho.
>>
I spent a couple hours tinkering with the soulbound code and I think i can get it working. It's gonna take a while and I might hit some roadblocks since I'm not a programmer and i may change a couple things, but my impression rn is it's just going to be tedious transposition.
>>
>>1224065
Based. Is it an optional mode you select on character creation / gypsy hut?
>>
>>1224501
Yes. That's one thing I have to change because Adventures has a different character creation process. Simple enough though. I've made some decent progress on it today.
>>
File: dungeon doom.png (196 KB, 409x436)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
Found a place called Dungeon Doom earlier. Liches are strong, had to run away from one and found this broken door. Didn't die at least
>>
>>1224649
It's a trap!
>>
hey Sankius, sorry I missed you in chat. Went AFK right after logging in.
>>
I cant play today, i'm still waging. I hope to have some free time on wednesday. - Nate Higgers.
>>
>>1224889
Also, my internet is shitting itself, i just want to finish training my taming skills so i can go to skara braap, and break Mogar the nigger's Buck.
>>
>>1224649
Wow, sounds comfy, congratulations surviving a wizard that early, it's not something every newbie can tell.
>>
I've got soulbound working (mostly) on my local test server. There are some bugs and kinks to work out, but so far so good.
>>
>>1225242
Neat, what are the features of this "soulbound" race?
>>
>>1225249
>>1221920
>>
>>1225262
I think it will be necessary to tune up this "soulforce" thing scaling, since as a feature it was meant for a multiplayer version of RnR with stronger mobs in general.
>>
>>1225274
I meant "tune down".
>>
>>1225274
>>1225296
Yeah some tuning will be needed. In Adventures you can acquire a high resist (the only item properties that apply to you) starting set of armor at the beginning of each new life for less than the gold you start with. I won't be including that. There's also a modified soulbound only version of the basement shared space (where you get the aforementioned armor) which allows for risk free training of most skills with a dungeon skill gain bonus. We won't have that.
You gain soulforce for killing mobs at varying rates depending on mob difficulty. Soulforce persists across lives. Once you have 500 soulforce you can get a soul vault from an NPC vendor called a Blood Lich. The soul vault is "ensouled" (soulbound version of blessed item) and stays in your backpack across lives. You can then purchase essences from the NPC with soulforce. These essences apply permanent item bonuses (+hits, lower reagent cost etc) to your soul vault, which are then applied to you. You can upgrade your soul vault to store more essences, up to level 10. Lowering the max soul vault level and/or amount of essences per level would be the easiest way to balance it. I don't think we have to go too crazy though, considering you lose EVERYTHING when you die. House, bank vault, everything, starting over with 1k gold, basic gear and one of several 225 skill templates.
>>
>when your best over-armor clothing for stats is a dress and you're male
grim
>>
How do runes work exactly? I found a book about runes and it seems like they're permanent reagents (as an alternative to magery reagents) you use in a certain order to cast different spells. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?
>>
>>1225507
No
You put a handful of them at a time in a rune bag. Then use the rune bag and it casts a spell with no reagents.

By the time you probably find the runes you need and a bag you probably won't need it.

Besides one niche use for them temporarily near the endgame
>>
I'm going to cap lower reagant cost and lower mana cost to 75%.
>>
>>1225537
ack!
>>
>>1225537
>I'm going to cap lower reagant cost and lower mana cost to 75%
That would be cool. 100% lower reagent cost and mana is just too op.
>>
A portal.
>>
>>1225775
in the ancient pyramid in the NW section of the map? I was exploring that but my inventory filled up after exploring 10 rooms so I had to leave and never went back. that's pretty cool.
>>
>>1225790
Yeah, there.that's a portal to a scary huge new world.
>>
>>1225634
except lower mana cost is already capped at 40%
so that would be a massive buff instead
this is why it helps to actually know the game before you "balance" it
>>
>>1226036
You got me. I was thinking of Adventures where the cap is 90.
>>
>>1226036
I think that reagents use reduction should be capped at 40% too.
>>
>>1226106
well, you are a retard
reagents aren't a meaningful game mechanic
it is shit that someone thought to include once because d&d did it in the 70s
all it does is provide a minor annoyance that you have to make sure you have enough before you leave for a dungeon
but running out in a dungeon isn't even a real concern because the game throws hundreds of reagents at you in every chest
it is like the hunger/thirst mechanic
someone thought it would be cool for RP
but it actually serves no purpose and it just a nusiance
you have some hateboner against spellcucks in the delusion that they are overpowered
but it doesn't really matter for them
the real classes that get fucked by changing LRC are the ones that don't even use reagents, but still benefit from it
those can't easily recharge themselves in the wild like spellcucks can and some of them are just retardedly clunky like deathknight
>>
>>1226175
>you have some hateboner against spellcucks in the delusion that they are overpowered.
How isn't spamming 200 damage spells with a macro is not overpowered?
>>
>>1226180
because there are multiple ways to do 3-5x more damage with less downsides
>>
>>1226189
Let's see how things play out. Nothing is set in stone.
>>
I am looking for the Altar of the Golden Rangers. Can anyone give me a hint?
>>
File: the birth of steam.jpg (21 KB, 449x493)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1215004
wtf i want to try this where can i do that
>>
>>1226310
Just follow the instructions >>1215003
>>
>>1226402
shit i thought he was talking about some random other server woops
thanks
>>
>>1226304
you shouldn't go there, grues will eat you
>>
I lost all my party to an adult red dragon.
>>
>>1226610
rip. I tried to fight a dragon on the previous server, got a good hit in so I thought I could take it on, but then it shredded me
>>
I've spent all my gaming time this week toiling over merging the soulbound system. It was a bit more involved than just tedious transposition, but it's now running well on my local test server. There's just some housekeeping to do and a couple changes I'm considering. First, you always start a new life as the sex you picked at creation. Currently it's random. Second, I think I want to scrap the blood lich NPC and transfer its functionality to a soul item that remains in your inventory. This way you don't have to go to an NPC to spend your soulforce.
>>
>>1226947
Terry Davis is the hero we need to return.
>>
>>1227128
The strongest programmer that ever lived.
>>
How long will this server be up?
>>
>>1227509
Forever.
>>
>>1227509
I'm gonna DDoS it in a couple of weeks so not much longer.
>>
>>1227520
"Hello, FBI?"
>>
>>1227509
I committed to a year for the VPS and crash recovery is fully automated so at least a year.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (17 KB, 361x182)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1227523
Thank you for the answer. Also pic related pops up all the time and its no even accurate? Anyone know how can I disable it? I am using TazUO.
>>
>>1227706
It's something TazUO added. It's not inaccurate it's just delayed when you make quick skill gains. I'm not sure what the setting is to disable it. Just look through the options.
>>
>>1225537
please don't, knight and deathknight need reagent lowering to be good
>>
>>1228142
reagent lowering does nothing to knight.
>>
>>1228157
it did in ruins and riches. what changed?
>>
>>1228161
>>1228157
to be clear, Lower Reagent Cost isn't a percent reduction, it's a chance to not use reagents. if you're basing your knowledge of knight off of ingame experience and you're only just starting out, you're very likely to miss it working, but unless AoA specifically changed this and called out that it changed it, it doesn't really make sense to assume that it doesn't work for Knight anymore.

Not only was Tithe a reagent for Knights, but Jedi and Syth crystals are too, and they benefit from reagent cost as well.
>>
>>1228142
You will tithe and you will be happy.
>>
>>1228142
You can literally go on for a solid 10 hour gameplay with 10k gold/tithe. What the fuck are you on about. 10k is like an antfart in the financial wind.
>>
>>1228424
>>1228226
for the same reason we shouldn't cap quiver arrow use to 40%, there's a tangible goal in making sure you're not pulling your own pants down by accident for not packing 50 nuts of horse or not stopping by the shrine in your loot run.

on top of that, it feels empowering to cut them out of your main gameplay loop eventually, like how good it feels to eventually be generating arrows through combat instead of stopping by the fletcher you'd definitely never be visiting otherwise.

arbitrarily removing that aspirational goal from multiple classes because they... >>1226180
...do less DPS than the fighting skills that don't need the stat is weird.
>>
>>1228516
>...do less DPS than the fighting skills that don't need the stat is weird.
Melee classes are restricted by the attack speed cap. Wizards at some point can spam multiple spells per second. They just melt stuff with their summons tanking for them and dealing really good damage (necro summons cannot be dispelled). It just doesn't feel good that a wizard can cast spells faster than a warrior or a pugilist can attack, it feels so wrong.
>>
>>1228567
>(necro summons cannot be dispelled)
unless i'm mistaken, there's a few things that made that a nonissue last server, like any undead summon more complex than a small zombie sharing health with the necro (golems did this too)

i had dabbled in wizardry myself after getting to titan of ether off of just knightship archery and utility spells, and stopped trying to use spells for DPS after it felt like there was a (worse) cast speed cap than auto attacks. if there's just no cast cooldown at all anymore then the obvious solution would just be to... put it back
>>
>>1228567
just to be clear, what experiences are you basing this on? were you in the ruins and riches server or are you talking about stuff you see in other codebases?

the heaviest hitters in the R&R server were Terry Davis, a paladin, and me, a paladin archer who decided to go jedi for fun

if you're drawing on experience elsewhere can you say what it is clearly
>>
>>1228614
There are both cast speed and cast recovery caps. Let's just play with these settings and see how it feels. Like I said nothing is written in stone.
>>
>>1228636
>Terry Davis
Wasn't that the schizo that got stuck into Skara Brae really early and managed to finish it? Such a mad lad.
>>
>>1229166
I don't think he did it with any hints either. Man is made of alien stuff.
>>
>>1229186
yeah him and Sneed duo'd it and escaped. Sneed was a fresh character playing the game for the first time.
>>
>>1215009
If I want to bring over my old macros from R&R, what all am I porting from my old client?
>>
Made some more progress on soulbound. In Adventures every time you die you get a new name/random NPC title befitting your template ("the burglar," "the barbarian"). This is cool thematically, but annoying practically, especially because client profiles are tied to character names. So I removed that. You will also always respawn as the sex you picked at creation.
The last thing I want to do is scrap the blood lich NPC and transfer its functionality to an item that stays in your backpack. Once that's done I'll roll this bitch out to the server.
>>
>>1229633
Your razor profiles
>>
File: 1710066797466713.png (499 KB, 740x851)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
>>1215003
I CANNOT for the life of me figure out stat gain, you wrote that its 10m/stat, now I step to the anvil make 2 times 10 dagger, gaining blacksmith skill points, and 1-1 point to Strenght respectively, THEN no stat gain for a solid 30 minutes, no matter what, or how many stuff I craft.
Same with combat, I start killing animals, gaining skillpoint to blud, anatomy, tactics, and a single strenght point, then nothing....I mowed down half the countryside without a single statgain. Somebody please enlighten me lol
>>
>>1230102
It's quite RNG based bro. I just play the game and not care about stats so much, because the more you train and fight you naturally will adapt to kill stronger shit.
>>
Bro, im nate Higgers, would it be possible to preserve my character name when using a disguise kit? I hate my settings resetting every time my name changes.
>>
>>1230102
>>1230143
Well fuck me sideways, I figured it out, the 10min cd actually works with camping
>>
is this normal behavior? do i need a master key to open this? the official documentation says that the treasure will unlock once the mobs are dead.
>>
2nd locked chest didnt spawn mobs and is locked, same shit again. So... i really need some master keys?
>>
>>1231052
>>1231106
They don't unlock. You pick the lock, use a master key or throw acid on it.
>>
>>1231268
acid didnt work. I guess ill just lose all my 4 maps.
>>
>>1231408
Acid should work. What's happening?
>>
cute...
>>
>>1231439
Dunno, it just says "It seems to do nothing to the mechanism inside".
>>
Do I NEED Vetenary beside Taming? Or I can lose it?, I need the skill slot
>>
>>1231802
yes, if you want the extra pet slot you need Taming veterinary, druidism and herding lvl 60
>>
Fought a lich at the top of a tower and found the magic mirror a book mentioned previously. I already knew the words I had to speak from the book I found in a dungeon on an island. I immediately appeared in a big dungeon and while the mobs didn't seem too bad there were so many and my bags filled up so I had to leave. Ended up finishing my exploration of the pyramid and got to the Isles of Dread. Went to a nearby town to sell some stuff and then sailed through the map looking for cool stuff and almost died to a Daemon and some Lizardmen. They kept casting on me while walking on water. Had to run away unfortunately and dropped to 10% of my health during the escape. Not sure how bricked I would have been if I died while on a ship. I think I'd have to grind out money for a new ship and sail back to loot myself?
>>
>>1231794
Yeah apparently acid doesn't work. I thought it did. So it's either master key or lockpick.
>>
File: SIGNMEUP.jpg (61 KB, 512x476)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1231908
I can bank roll you if you can estabilish a portal for me to Lodoria
>>
The first of many
>>
Anyone wants this? i want a melee artifact in exchange.
>>
>>1232263
i've got no idea how to do that. do I need magery?
>>
>>1234246
You can put down a cheap tent property in Sosaria, make it public put a teleport stone inside, then make another one in Lodoria, and put a teleport stone there too and connect. Its just a question of money, you can buy teleport stones at the architect npc in britain castle as well as construction deed to build said tents.
>>
Anyone knows where's umber veil? is it another world?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (136 KB, 1400x854)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1235210
You take a green portal on the island in the picture
you'll need a boat to get to this island.
>>
>>1235315
Comming!
>>
>>1235315
>>1235585
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38V_PpourP8
>>
Umber Veil didnt save as a destination after using the portal, i fucking lost my boat reeeeeee
>>
Happy Easter! He is Risen!
Should have soulbound and maybe a couple other changes rolled out early this week.
Christ is King
>>
>>1235716
Based. What's next on the roadmap? I would love to see no bullshit guards + mob invasion in towns.
>>
forgot to drydock my ship but I think I locked it before logging out a few days ago. is that shit deleted?
>>
File: stuck in lava.png (906 KB, 1015x740)
906 KB
906 KB PNG
Fell off some stairs and now I'm stuck on these lava tiles forever.
>>
Use the stuck option in the help menu
>>
File: help options.png (203 KB, 992x701)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>1237320
I went through a bunch of these and couldn't find anything about stuck/unstuck options but maybe I'm blind.
>>
I fucking love UO but is there any way to use the retail client? I'm a 4K user and it's literally impossible to play UO at such a high resolution.
>>
File: 4P6JXdkl.jpg (59 KB, 439x640)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1237345
With ClassicUO play on 2k with 125% windows scaling and a 4k with 200% scaling. Both of those should make UO look like you are on a 1080p screen. Adjust windows scaling to your taste.

If you are using the original client with steam or razor edit the exe properties like this so it responds to scaling.
>>
Do i have access to a stable as fugitive? or im really fucked?
>>
File: Screenshot_254.jpg (38 KB, 152x662)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1237338
Doesn't show up in places where there isn't a log out delay (bank, inn etc). Where are you stuck?
>>
File: coordinates.png (158 KB, 914x764)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>1237622
it's some random house (5687, 1297) in the fire place after taking the mirror near montor. after taking the door it takes you to (5411,1160)
>>
>>1215003
Are you the guy who hosted the original Ruins and Riches server back in like August? If so could I please get the server/hosting files for the OG for single player purposes?
>>
>>1237673
Are you on now? I could hop on and move you.
>>
>>1237707
yeah i'm online
>>
File: spell options.png (778 KB, 1266x892)
778 KB
778 KB PNG
Is finding a priest spellbook rare?
Wanted to do something new this time around and when I was browsing the help menu I saw priest prayers exist. Went into the castle at the start and talked to the priest there and he didn't mention anything about how to acquire them.
>>
>>1237833
It's a hammer and a stake, for some reason, to become a priest you need to slay vampires with the stake, then retrieve the hammer to the priest.
>>
>>1237879
That's a lot more difficult than I expected for something I would have as a starting profession.
I'll see if I can level some other skills and beef up my stats a bit before trying to kill a vampire, thanks.
>>
File: image0.jpg (54 KB, 800x776)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1237685
Sorry I don't have it anymore.

>>1235792
Mortal guards and invasions for sure. Also a BOD rework. Both Adventures and Confictura have these things so I can just steal theirs like I did soulbound. I'm gonna take a break from big updates because I'd like to actually play for a bit though. In hindsight I probably should have focused on the BOD rework first.
Just a heads up on the other changes coming with soulbound:
>SDI cap vs monsters bumped to 150
>LRC capped at 75%
>Quivers nerfed
There was a miscalculation with the "damage modifier" property that makes high DM quivers way too OP. All quivers will get a flat damage modifier of 10 with the only exception being the Quiver of Rage, which always has a DM of 15. This will be applied to all existing quivers.
>>
File: thedude.png (55 KB, 267x318)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
Man I was just thinking about this. Any of the ruins and riches homies still around?
>>
>>1237906
>BOD rework
Can you elaborate please?
>>
>>1237920
What the hell is that staff? I play occasionally, i'm Nate Higgers.
>>
is this a good place to start if I never played UO (or any ultima for that matter) before
>>
>>1238186
Sure, if you don't mind hard games.
>>
>>1238186
>is this a good place to start if I never played UO
Was great for me. First time playing anything Ultima was on the old (R&R) server and the game does a real great job guiding you through things. Just gotta get in the habit of going through NPC dialogue or books. Also the singleplayer-ish nature of this version means you are typically capable of tackling anything the game throws at you.
Do watch a quick video on how the UI works though. Probably the biggest struggle for the first hour was trying to figure out how to play the game.
>>
>>1238168
That was my old ruins and riches character but it is the staff of ultimate power
>>
>>1237935
Adventures changed the way rewards work so they're less RNG. Also added carpentry and bowcrafting BODs. Confictura is working on a total rework of the system, but it's not done yet. I would like to at least have carpentry and bowcrafting BODs.
>>
>>1238430
I really like how Adventures automates jobs like mining and lumberjacking.
>>
Socket Error
>>
Server is down while I apply the changes. You'll all need to download this zip file and extract it to your client/files folder. Replace all files. https://mega.nz/file/aVIBxKRZ#KrMdc4c2Yst5XHGRFOWeQI1J-jICfPr6DuOMbh-cD-M
>>
And we're back. Of course I just noticed an issue with the starting clothes for the soulbound wizard template. It's probably something stupid that I'm overlooking, but that's an easy direct edit of the script on the VPS once I figure it out. For now if you respawn as that template you'll start out missing a couple clothing items.
To make a soulbound character pick THE CHARIOT tarot card in the gypsy gump at character creation. Make sure you replace those art files in the last post.
>>
Noticed a bug with the newest patch.
If you enter a building while mounted, your mount will be sent to the stable rather than disappearing briefly. Also doesn't work in areas that would give the "your mount is safely waiting for you elsewhere" prompt.
>>
>>1239016
Thanks. I think I know why that happened. I'll try to fix it before bed.
>>
Fixed.
>>
How easy is it to get into the game ? I know nothing about Ultima
>>
>>1239427
>How easy is it to get into the game ?
Honestly, the hardest part is getting used to the UI and the hotkeys config, macros, etc.
>>
>>1239430
Considering I just started getting into mmos , I think it won't really be a problem
>>
>>1215003
i've been trying to download the client file but for some reason google keeps cancelling the download when it's close to finishing , any alternate links ?
>>
>>1240000
Threw the file up on workupload for you. Hopefully this site isn't region blocked for ya.
https://workupload.com/file/BD2sdzSTGMe
>>
>>1240124
It finally worked thanks a lot mate, excited to play the game
>>
Accidentally fixed the issue with soulbound mage templates' starting clothes. I don't know why this worked nor why the code didn't work in the first place, but whatever. Also added a knight template and more variety to the warrior template. Finally I can actually play for a bit. I'll patch the server when I come on later tonight.
>>
Server patched.
>>
File: forblessed.jpg (60 KB, 453x377)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Here is the tailoring BOD that will give you Blessed Clothing Deed, which can be used to bless cloth stuff. I completed it multiple times in a row, always gives the blessing.
>>
Client froze and now I'm stuck on verifying account. This on my end or something with the server?
>>
Happened to me too so it's server side.
Glad I was just in the city.
>>
>>1242300
>>1242306
We're back.
>>
>>1237397
ty fren I'm gonna play this with my wife tonight
>>
Just a heads up for any of my soulbound niggas out there. If you're using tazuo grid containers and you log out as a ghost, when you log back in you won't see the "Your Soul" item. You have to close and reopen the backpack to see it.
>>
>>1243789
For regular characters this would also apply to blessed items btw.
>>
File: Screenshot_257.jpg (10 KB, 142x239)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
You guys like my loincloth?
>>
I missed out on ever playing an UO game when they were hot. This is actually the first time I've opened up a client.

I might have too many smooth parts in my brain, is there like a guide to getting started for a clueless guy like me?

Here's a pick of a cat I tamed. Can you name tamed animals?
>>
>>1244268
Drag the HP bar gump out when you hover over the cat. You can name it from there. For newbie guides just talk to npcs and use the ingame help menu.
If that's not enough a few tips can be found here https://web.archive.org/web/20220430234652/https://britainknights.com/viewtopic.php?t=110
>>
>>1244268
Here's a video tutorial for complete noobs. It's for UO Outlands, but most of the information is general client/game stuff. https://youtu.be/nhvYXfFfrAg?si=aiuL8g_hEltdzARZ
>>
Mr janny, my main char got stuck and not in a good way, I logged out while my Incognito spell was on, I logged back in and suddenly my UI setup was gone, as the game thought I was a new player, and there was even a gump pop up to rename my self as my old name was unaviable, I loggout out of sheer panic again lol, and logged back in, my UI is back to normal but the name change gump is gone AND my character literally cannot move, its like I am tethered to the ground(most likely because the game still waits for my prompt for the new name) which I cannot provide as the gump is gone. I can teleport and recall but thats it, I am bound to the tile I am on
>>
>>1245756
and no, the stuck in world didnt help
>>
>>1245756
So your character doesn't have a name? What was your character's name?
>>
>>1246064
Oh sorry i did leave that out like a retard, its Quick Ben
>>
>>1246088
I'm not seeing anything in your character's properties that could be changed to fix this. Post when you're online and I'll try to get on.
>>
>>1246455
Alright, I am online
>>
File: Screenshot_178.jpg (719 KB, 1913x1075)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
the sky castles are so cool. also throwback tuesday since this screenshot is from the old server.
>>
File: realboh.jpg (122 KB, 610x536)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Found the real bag of holding.
>>
I really want to play this, but i'm waging like there's no tomorrow, and i feel really tired after hitting gym.
>>
>>1251314
No rush. I'm barely able to play rn and I'm paying (a pittance really) for the server. The beauty of Odyssey is that it's balanced for single player so you don't need to worry about having other people to complete content with. Get around to playing when you can.
>>
File: Screenshot_200.png (20 KB, 323x65)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Here's a warning for my crafter bros out there, don't make 100 items at once in bulk (At least for Alchemy) since it has a bug where it increases the weight of your backpack/you which persists through death, so you'll end up with less and less free carry weight as the time goes on.
>>
>>1254803
Maybe post about this on the servuo thread for AoA so the dev can hopefully fix it in the next update.
>>
>>1254975
Good idea, I'll make a detailed bug report over there.
>>
File: mina.jpg (29 KB, 242x222)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>
I remembering seeing the original Riches & Ruins OP some months ago, then it disappearing the next time I searched the /vm/ catalog. What’s the difference between R&R and the Adventurers of Akalabeth fork?
>>
>>1257532
The servuo link explains all the changes. It's mostly QOL stuff.
>>
File: golden.jpg (67 KB, 337x511)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
>>1261754
Based
>>
File: robot.jpg (203 KB, 750x624)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>
>>1262846
this game is awesome
>>
Game is awesome, love playing and discovering it.
Kept grinding mining till my mouse broke and now I can't play :(
>>
File: alienfucker.jpg (244 KB, 1111x772)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>
>>1266380
Damn, that's some good shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.