[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (45 KB, 460x215)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
So, is Guild Wars 2 worth playing? The only MMO I've ever put significant time into is SWTOR and I've always been interested in trying it out. Any other MMOs worth trying out, like say Elder Scrolls Online?
>>
bump
>>
>>1269725
Yes, I love guild wars 1 and 2 very dearly. It's an extremely comfy and social romp if you want to play casually, and a really fun and meaty MMO to sink your teeth into if you continue past that. As for ESO, it's very similar to guild wars 2 but instead of massive zone wide events that require large amount of people, it's overworld is mostly about singleplayer questing, with minidungeons sprinkled throughout that have skill point shards in them. As for endgame, it has the typical MMO format of dungeons raids and small and large scale PvP. It's very comfy as well, and has decent crafting and housing.
>>
>>1269725
guild wars 2 sucks.
eso has a lot to do and is fun but very casual; still hundreds of hours in the base game
guild wars is arguably the best MMO of all time
>>
>>1269725
I play GW2 only for the arenas, bcz the meta change every 2-3 weeks, and u can get a stuff pretty easly.
Pvp is great
>>
>>1269725
Never tried GW2 myself but I have played a lot of ESO.
It's fucking dogshit, don't bother. I could probably rant for hours about why I hate the game now.
>>
>>1269725
10k hours here. Don't even try it. Game is primarily PvE, and PvE is primarily story updates with throwaway flavor of the month maps. And story is just awful troonshit. It is BAD.
The game world does not feel like a world full of adventure and exploration, it feels like a haunted house ride with a chore checklist.
Combat is fine-ish, admittedly. I still remember my reaper fondly. Problem is, the co tent in which this combat takes place is shite. It has shitty bite-sized pseudodungeons called fractals, a few raids that are heavily neglected, and the rest is just brain dead story content or shitty open world events.
>>
>>1273547
Oh and also, Arena PvP is only good if you prefer running around and being a nuisance instead of battling, since the main goal is to control points instead of fighting, and you oftentimes need shit like "the guy who can be a faggot and decap enemy's homepoint then run away" or "the guy who has retarded defense and can tie up enemy's home point and waste their time". Then there is WvW which is either large scale fights where you just spam AoEs in the enemy's general dirextion hoping that your AoEs will be spammed harder than theirs, or you solo roam in which case it's like a bootleg open world PvP game except nobody ever balanced nor will they balance around roaming, so most people are either thieves who just run away constantly, or absurd overpowered trailblazer or other bullshit builds that are nearly or completely impossible to duel without a bullshit build of your own. My favorite was the perma stealth trap thief build that that would just never stop being invisible while spamming DoTs at you and whitling you down without you having any counterplay whatsoever unless you're like one specific build, and even then they'd just run away from them. Only got nerfed because someone used that build to solo a raid boss.
>>
It has good combat but it's completely wasted on a dev team uninterested in making mid/hardcore endgame content. It's all PvE but by PvE I mean story and zergathon grinding. There's nothing that actually pushes you beyond "yea hit your buttons... sometimes.. i guess". You'll finish whatever story in a few weeks, finish gearing in a week after that, then you have nothing to do *forever* because there's no gear/power treadmill. You have some useless horizontal progression each expansion or so and that's it. It is the most casual MMO of the big few by far.

And boy oh boy don't even let me get into the story. I'm not a rightoid or someone who complains about "le woke" like a terminally online faggot, so trust me when I say GW2 is the most pozzed, twinkle fairy fart dust californian leftie shit IMAGINABLE. It's so fucking horrible. It is the worst shit I have ever experienced in an MMO, maybe even a game period, in my life.
>>
Do you like fags? What about trannies? How about tons of stronk womyn (who are gay)? If so you'll love Guild Wars 2. Also I'm talking about ArenaNet, although it's true for the game as well.
>>
>>1274313
Yeah basically. I remember being so excited for GW2 to come out back in 2012 and then it ended up turning into what it is now.. What a let down.
>>
>>1274037
>uses le chud strawman
>proceeds to do the exact thing that le chud strawman is used to shut down
>no self-awareness whatsoever
Well at least not even your double digit IQ enlightened centrist ass is able to defend the garbage that is GW2.
>>
>>1274317
Same, I actually liked it on release but every decision they made since then was a bad one.
>>
>>1269725
GW2 is the one game that wasted my time. 4k hours and looking back I had so much more fun in other games than this.
It's 99% PvE. PvP and WvW are treated by the devs like they don't exist. Sadly, the PvE is really easy. There was a streamer who completed the main story without using a skill, just by letting the pet of his hunter do everything.
Also, the meta is just DMG + CC. If you see anything else being good it is temporary and will be nerfed. The only things being constant are insane damage, control effects and invulnerability.
The story is also not really good, even fans of the game will say this. The original creators of the game have been gone for a long time and you clearly see around lvl 40 that the story goes bad shortly after the beginning.
>>
>>1269725
The game is fun for a little while. The PvE gets boring and repetitive. The PvP is really shitty once you get to a level where the meta matters. You’ll get a lot of hours out of it before any of that becomes a factor though.
>>
>>1269725
gw2 is shit play 1
>>
File: 1686309140547629.jpg (181 KB, 1437x1761)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>1269725
gw 2 is buy to play, alot of guild functions are paywalled so please if you are a f2player recognise that the bad parts of the experience are because of drawbacks to the "trial" version of the game you are playing

this infuriated me since i wanted to be social but i could not do something guild related and quit because of it. I know now why it happened and may even give another go but do not do it like me and think the game is amazing for EVERYONE cuz its not
>>
>>1269725
>GW general
is it... safe? I haven't been here in ages.
>>
>>1280371
if you mean "are people still impotently bitching gw2 is not gw1" then no. if you mean the bot that's been dealt with.
>>
Its fun to play very casually, but I would not care about the game too much. I play it like a Ubisoft game. Disable the story and quest log and run around the map doing whatever events are close and seem fun. There seems to be room for depth, but it feels like the devs did not really focus on it (probably for the best).
>>
>>1269725
You're better off getting GW1 and running the campaigns solo
>>
>>1269725
It's great if you ignore anything related to the story. Lore bits are nice but only because it's taken from gw1, the sense of scale is epic, combat you may love or hate, keep in mind the base game doesn't reflect at all how the game plays at the expacs, not a real f2p game.

Interact with people as little as possible. Also HoT maps are still the GOAT.
>>
>>1270596
which mmo do you actually like anon?
>>
File: Canach_poster.jpg (101 KB, 507x720)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1281416
The story can only be somewhat enjoyable if the player doesn't take it seriously. Which is kinda fucked because it often tries to take itself seriously which just ends up being ridiculous. Still, besides the weak plotpoints, buggy af story progress (I can't even count how many times we had to restart complete chapters when I was replaying the whole thing with a fella), I still could find *a few* enjoyable people from the cast, but the rest was just straight up annoying.

On top of that, the newest expansion's story is even shittier than before, destroying the somewhat promisable dark, raw, meaty and cruel atmosphere with "i know we kill your whole society but our king is so grumpy (。•́︿•̀。) plspls help" plot.

Also fuck those who decided to kill Tybalt in episode 6.
>>
>>1281713
I enjoyed the original story up to heart of thorns, you are right, newest expac does suck massive balls
>>
Reminder that Taimi has been dying for 12 years and Braham is also still alive.
>>
>>1274037
>"It has good combat but it's completely wasted on a dev team uninterested in making mid/hardcore endgame content."
>tfw the hardest content in the game was made that way accidentally
>>
>>1284937
>Reminder that Taimi has been dying for 12 years
Haven't we all??
>>
>>1284937
Also reminder ANet completely memory holed Magdaer.
>>
>>1269725
Man I really tried getting into GW2, but I just did not like the combat. I found it very surface level and repetitive. It's a shame because I really like everything else about the game. Great music, fluid movement, fun exploration, and it just feels like an actual MMO with a ton of shit to do.
>>
>>1287998

And one of the factors that eventually got me stayed alongside the game was community. Ask anything on /map, let that be your most petty problem you have encountered, there will always be people coming to aid. Also all big group events (METAs) are filled with life and interactions. The somehow still living optimism I have been seeking all along after going for WoW raids on the nine millionth private server already kek

Besides that, I think the most of endgame time is filled with mastery grind, collections grind (including Legendaries here), and finally some harder combat in raids and higher fractals.

But as a player preferring solo content... you must stick to open world pve then, and there aren't enough events to keep you hyped in the long run. Unless you are a story and atmosphere sucker like me - but then it might be better to look for other alternatives. (I am currently trying out SWTOR and its stories, for instance.) At this point I have done most shit in the game and I only log in once for stacking up Wizard's Vault rewards in every season and giving help to folks I know and currently playing the game. Sometimes I go back on alts re-experiencing the adventure in core Tyria maps but I will never be able to discover the world as I have done it for the very first time.

GW2 is literally the MMO for social butterflies hah
>>
>>1269725

it's fine. being b2p means you can always come back, no stress due to gear decay either. what does suck however is the price for the seasonal content if you've never been around at their release or rerun. sadly, story is garbage mostly and decent at best, maps and mounts are really superb and the game's strongest point. combat is alright, action camera mode is very enjoyable. community is super friendly and helpful. everybody in the main hub looks like a fucking clown because of shiny cosmetics. pvp is good, i hate pvp yet played nothing but pvp for months. i haven't even done any group content because i can't stand talking to people, i hate mmos with a burning passion, the game is very solo friendly. the cash shop is of course filled with shit and "pay for convenience" but none of it is truly needed and at least you can buy its currency with ingame gold.

eso is a worse version of gw2 with a tes skin like swtor is wow with a sw skin. i played this trainwreck at launch. the famous angryjoe review holds still true to this day, don't be fooled by redditors who call themselves tes fans. sure, they "improved" the game by making it less shit, doesn't mean it's "good". eso is a fucking disgrace. it's a hideous loooking game that lacks artistic direction. the armors are all painted on your skin with floppy floating parts attached to it to simulate depth. the animations are horrendous. the horses look like stuffed animals. the combat is very bad, it's floaty and lacks impact. the effects look extremely pathetic, too. oh, and everything is monetized, from fashion to content to storage space, it feels very crippling and is quite expensive. the game's balance is all over the place, too. you constantly have to deal with absurd nerfs and insane design overhauls that nobody asked for. its story, lore, setting shits on everything you knew before. if you can ignore that it's "decent" enough on its own due to the sheer amount of voiced dialogues and regional quests.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.