[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: d76mt2x9oo551.jpg (845 KB, 4000x3149)
845 KB
845 KB JPG
>Introduce a brand new mechanic to sell your latest generation
>none of the new pokemon from the generation that introduced can use it at all.
>even though story wise the entire reason the mechanic exists is due to events that happened exclusively in the new region
what the fuck was game freak thinking with mega evolution. I'm glad Z-A can finally fix this blunder.
>>
File: meowth.gif (13 KB, 179x190)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>55789147
I didn't like it either. It felt "tacked on". Like you described, it should have had more of an effect on the monsters IN the region. Better yet, closer to ground zero.
I can appreciate an ancient timeline-splitting nuke creating a dormant super evolution gene, that was some wacky and interesting lore. But it was disconnected from gameplay in a lot of ways.

Maybe gen 6 suffers from being a media empire first and videogame second. Because whoever had the idea that new charizard EVOLUTION = HYPE didn't communicate very well with the story writers or even the gameplay planners. Megas were busted in-game. They were busted online. They disappointed huge swaths of people (some fans mad their favorites didnt get a mega, some fans mad their favorite DID get one thus dooming them to never getting buffed)

it wasn't well planned out because we still are dealing with the ramifications today. A fractured timeline because they knew retconning megas wasn't worth it so they just multiversed it. People that actually liked the mechanic haven't been able to use it since the 3DS.

desu I hope LegendsAZ involves going back in time rescuing that flabebe, thus retconning megas and the 3DS games out of existence. Problem solved.
>>
>>55789147
> none of the new pokemon from the generation that introduced can use it at all.
What’s the last thing in that image?
>>
>>55789182
Not OP but gen 6+ Mythicals feel so forgettable. I forget Diancie exists sometimes too.
>>
>>55789182
A mythical pokemon that was released a year later through a limited time distribution that was not accessible to all players, and whose mega evolution was only accessible in the ORAS remakes.
>>
>>55789192
So it was introduced in the same generation
>>
>>55789204
Sure it was. But it wasn't an option when you were playing through either ORAS or X & Y for the first time. It might as well have not existed at all for most players, meaning your only real option for Megas were older pokemon.
>>
File: 1711419058986.jpg (3 KB, 125x93)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>55789147
>all Pokemon can use abilities
>all Pokemon can participate in doubles, rotations, triples, inverses, battle royales, raids
>all Pokemon can do contests, musicals, Pokestar, Amie, photo shoots
>all Pokemon can walk behind you
>all Pokemon can use gems
>vast majority of Pokemon get Hidden Abilities
>all Pokemon can use Z-moves
>Pokemon not named Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus can Dynamax
>all Pokemon can Terastallize

>only a handful of Pokemon can Mega Evolve
>Mega Evolution is the most popular
>>
>>55789147
story wise there’s no such thing as “new pokemon” retard
>>
>>55789358
that makes it even worse. You're telling me that 2000 years ago, the ancient weapons energies didn't hit a single Kalosian pokemon?
>>
>>55789364
All the Pokemon in the OP are “Kalosian Pokemon” retard
>>
>>55789147
>none of the new pokemon from the generation that introduced can use it at all.
Aside from that one.
>>
>>55789192
>>55789207
So, the goal post moved.
>>
File: IMG_5536.jpg (34 KB, 750x737)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>55789147
>entire point of the mechanic to put a new spin on old recognizable designs
>WTF WHY DIDN’T THEY WASTE TIME GIVING IT TO DESIGNS THAT ARE ALREADY NEW??? I HAVE CRIPPLING AUTISM SO I CANT USE OLD POKEMON!!
>>
>>55789380
>>55789376
The goal post has not moved. Diancie is a new pokemon that can use the ability, but as I explained previously it was prohibitively inaccessible to most players so it might as well have not existed to them. The point I'm making is that in new generations past Gen 6, many new pokemon can use the gimmick that gets introduced, even through your first playthrough.
>Any pokemon can use Z Moves
>Any pokemon can Dynamax, and SWSH introduced new pokemon and gave them Gigantamax forms, including the starters in addition to the old designs getting Gmax forms
>any pokemon can Tera
X/Y and ORAS relegated the gimmick entirely to older pokemon almost exclusively. Gen 6 starters and notable Gen 6 pokemon like Goodra should have gotten Mega forms so they didn't get overshadowed by Mega Lucario and the Mega Kanto Starters in your initial playthrough.
>>
>>55789358
There are several Pokèmon in universe that are said to be newly discovered, retard.
>>
>>55789410
And none of them are the pokemon OP is whining about not getting megas.
>>
>>55789388
Unironically this. In comparison look at how they treated Gigantamax: In addition to being exclusively Kanto Pandering (with exceptions exclusively for Melmetal and Garbodor), the remaining forms went to new Galar pokemon. And now that Gigantamax is a dead gimmick and they've moved on to tera, those extra form designs are basically wasted now, and many of the Gen 8 Pokemon who were clearly made with their Gigantamax Forms as part of their design are left feeling incomplete; No more UFO Orbeetle, tornado Sandaconda, heating coil Centiscorch, etc.

At the time I kinda understand why people complained about Kalos mons not getting mega evos, but in hindsight now that we know these gimmicks will eventually be abandoned and only occasionally revisited in side games, i'm glad Megas were mostly limited to putting a cool spin on an old design.
>>
>Give shitmon a mega
>Its been dogshit useless since gen 8
Megas were a mistake. I just want my bro Mawile to be usable without relying on a gimmick form.
>>
>>55789147
>>Introduce a brand new mechanic to sell your latest generation
It wasn't. Megas were a mainstay.
>>
>>55789486
Considering they gave Applin and Duraludon evos in gen 9 that are clearly remnants of their gmaxes its clear they knew they fucked up. Same can't be said for mons who relied heavily on their mega to give them a purpose.
>>
>>55789713
Where do I get megas in Swsh,Bdsp,Pla and and SV?
>>
>>55789720
>Same can't be said for mons who relied heavily on their mega to give them a purpose.
Probably because unlike GMAX, Megas aren't really gimmicks so they can just bring them back whenever.
Not any different from getting locked out of using your bro in BDSP or PLA.
>>
>>55789726
Megas are a gimmick since lets go was the last game with them and it was only the kanto ones. Meaning most of rhe others haven't been seem since usum
>>
>>55789726
> Megas aren't really gimmicks
Coping retarf
>>
File: IMG_0390.jpg (255 KB, 828x749)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>55789147
This should have been a regular evolution. Same with houndoom, medicham, mawile. I will never forgive them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.