[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1212.jpg (360 KB, 1170x1304)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>hey man what did you catch on your pokemon adventure?
>oh some gay rodent or bug or something?
>hah yea that’s cool
>oh me? Yea I just caught this 20 foot tall snake made of boulders no big deal
>sure he could crush whatever faggy thing you caught into paste with a swipe of his tail, but I’m sure there is something your pocket “monster” can do too
>>
Paras used Absorb!
Onix fucking died!
>>
>cool, what's his attack stat?
>>
>>55797303
I used an Onix for half of Emerald Kaizo and I wanted to cry. It's so dogshit , it's defense is all it has
>>
>>55797308
its*
>>
In gen 2 it should've been buffed to be a scyther/scizor equivalent
>>
>>55797302
Wrong. Your stupid looking mushroom scorpion is a smear on the ground
>>55797303
>muh stats
He is like 500 pounds, that’s the only stat your fagtastic shitmon will care about while it’s under it
>>
>>55797308
Is it just a victim of game balance or is there some lore reason why it doesn’t at least have a decent attack stat?
>>
Onix has been robbed of being fun for 28 years and it is absolutely criminal
>>
>>55797331
>He is like 500 pounds
NOOOOOO ONIX LOOK OUT FOR THAT GRASS KNOT
>>
>>55797340
probably just game balance. remember it's Brock's ace. she was likely conceived as the first boss before any stats were finalized. thus, she had to be visually imposing but not too overpowered that you couldn't beat it with your starter
>>
Onix: the anal beads pokemon
>>
>>55797351
I suppose that makes sense. Early Pokémon is an absolute mess of last second decisions
>>
>>55797345
You think GRASS is enough to stop my Onix? Sorry buddy, I mowed the lawn this morning
>>
>>55797340
Idk about lore, but imagine how hard Charmander kids would've been getting filtered since '96.
At least when my Onix finally evolved around Fallarbor it was an mvp, ate gen 3 Explosions for lunch and nuked itself right back, and Iron Tail's accuracy got buffed giving it 2 reliable base 100 power STAB attacks. Even with all of that it barely redeemed the slog that was using a fucking Onix.
>>
>>55797340
Game balance for sure. It’s your first gym hurdle, and you can catch your own pretty early in the game, so it’s always been doomed to be a lot worse than it appears it should be
>>
>>55797354
I mean in this case it's actually a really well designed first boss encounter. Brock is one of the best gym fights in the series from a game design perspective. it's just useless for the rest of the series as a consequence of that. I doubt they had that much foresight
>>
File: onix doesnt.png (157 KB, 706x424)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>be 29 foot long snake made out of literal boulders
>not even qualify for my 600 pound life
What were they on when designing Pokemon weights?
>>
Onix's attack stat atleast could have been like 70 to be somewhat of a threat for the earlygame.
>>
>>55797382
>>55797371
>>55797363
>>55797351
I’d ask then, would something different been better for Brock’s first encounter? Perhaps a Graveler? Less imposing sure, but still gives that “oh shit this guy has an evolved Pokémon this is serious” feel.

Onix just looks like it’s a Pokémon you send out after saying “I guess I’ll have to take things a little more serious”. But instead it gets creampied by Squirtle and Bulbasaur, and even Charmamder users can take it out before it’s trash attack stat let’s it win
>>
>>55797391
Just double the weight of literally any large Pokemon. For example Aurorus would be 992 lbs instead of 496 lbs. There are a few exceptions like Mudsdale not being anorexic.
>>
>>55797391
Maybe I’m making it up but aren’t Onix body rocks hollow?
>>
File: 1-zz_steelix.png (39 KB, 512x768)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>55797406
Probably yeah, especially considering Bruno uses an Onix too which is even sadder. At least we got Steelix out of it though.
>>
>>55797391
>Arbok is 12 feet long but only 140 pounds
>>
>>55797424
Checked pokedex, it talks about how Onix hardens itself to a similar state as a diamond and how it absorbs many hard objects. Honestly if anything that makes it's already strangely small weight even more absurd.
>>
>>55797406
As others have said, a lot of Red/Blue game design was rushed and not fully thought out. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Onix had high attack in a beta run only for the devs to realize none of their testers could beat the first gym. But since time was tight they just nerfed it’s attack forever and called it good
>>
>>55797391
>wailord
>47 feet tall
>just under 900 pounds
This problem is so prevalent that it would make more sense for them to just claim that Pokemon are abnormally lighter for some reason
>>
>>55797294
But why does Bruno, an Elite Four member, use this shitmon?
>>
>>55797462
At least Wailord is called the "Float Whale" Pokemon.
>>
>>55797462
And yet, these two are heavy as two Steelixes and a Rhydon, despite having fuck all reason to be as heavy as they are
>>
>>55797467
Because it’s big and imposing and was probably meant to be a Kanto boss monster before sticking one in the first gym
>>
>>55797483
Average weight for a Clydesdale is 1700-2200 pounds, so that’s actually spot on for Mudsdale

I’d assume Cosmoem is some kind of dark matter reference or something idk.
>>
File: Screenshot 2024-04-2.png (47 KB, 200x554)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>55797496
You're right on Mudsdale but how do the likes of Guzzlord weigh less than some fucking horse
>>
>>55797351
>she
Retard
>>
>>55797450
>Red/Blue game design was rushed and not fully thought out.
Didn't they work on it for 6 years before it released? Holy shit Gamefreak got lucky Pokemon got big as it did/
>>
>>55797526
I have to assume whoever designed Mudsdale REALLY liked Clydesdale horses and made it as accurate as possible even though no one else on the design team was taking that into consideration
>>
>>55797529
Red/blue was an incredibly ambitious project for the time so a lot of that 6 years was trial and error. Pokemon nearly bankrupted Nintendo because they kept funneling money into the project with no results. Towards the end the dev team was told they have to release SOMETHING, and that’s likely the cause of many of the confusing choices for Kanto era content as they were more focused on releasing a product rather than making sure every lore tidbit made sense.

It’s interesting to think about though, even though Red/Blue are full of bugs, some the most well known in all of gaming, the core gameplay is mostly bug free. The games bugs all require a convoluted input of actions that you have to wonder how anyone ever discovered them in the first place
>>
>>55797294
my shouldermon beat you with 2 water buckets
>>
>>55797303
>Onix used Body Press!
>>
>>55797678
Whoops actually it got crushed into the pavement sorry
>>
File: Phanpy-Onix.gif (1000 KB, 500x269)
1000 KB
1000 KB GIF
>>55797294
reminder
>>
Reminder that Rock Smash is 40BP as of Gen 4 and it is a move that is clearly shown to break rocks. Onix is made of nothing but rocks. Therefore it makes sense in-universe that Onix is incredibly weak, because any fighting move that is above 40BP is theoretically powerful enough to break Onix easily.
>>
>>55797321
This is what I did in my romhack that I'll probably never make.
80/105/155/30/55/85 with Rock Head and Solid Rock. I'd like for it to be a little weaker, but I want to keep its HP and SpA the same as Steelix's.(I took 10 out of Steelix's BST and changed it around too)
>>
>>55797904
Fake shit made by Phanpy fanboys
>>
>>55797406
Onix works because of its defense stat which teaches you to use special moves instead of scratch or tackle which worked fine for previous Pokemon encounters.
>>
>>55797331
>28' long
>500lbs
It could lay on a child without injuring it.
>>
>>55797483
Cosmoem is based on a neutron star which have incomprehensible levels of density
>>
>>55800211
Wouldn’t that happen naturally? Razor leaf and water gun sound way cooler than generic shit like scratch or tackle so you would start using them because of that
>>
>>55797294
oh wow
the one ground type that loses to electricity
hahahahahahahahahaahahaha
>>55797308
onix is already shit in the base game, what makes you think it'd be any better in a kaizo hack
>>
>>55797382
If anything it works as a nice IQ test for the player when he finds a wild Onix halfway through the game. It's that thing that was kind of imposing at the very ass beginning of the game, do you think it still holds up at this point, when you've probably ditched your route 1 and 2 captures ages ago?
>>
>>55800913
>oh it was bad cause it was low level
>oh maybe it had some kind of handicap to help you beat it early game
There are plenty of reasons it could be bad in its first encounter but has some kind of trick to fix it when you get your own. Geodude isn’t completely useless and you encounter that in the first gym too
>>
>>55797294
Is this the biggest victim of the anime? It's portrayed as an amazingly strong large rock snake in its debut episode, but it's not fun to use in the games.
>>
>>55800991
Besides Porygon, of course.
>>
>>55800991
it's been pointed out already ITT but it's more a consequence of being the first 'boss' in the game. it had to look imposing without being insurmountable. it's anime appearance is just an extension of that.
>>
>>55800991
Porygon is the anime victim. Onix is a victim of the game. Since you encounter it in the first gym, it can’t be too good, especially since Charmamder choosers will struggle with it

I guess you could say the anime hurt it too since you can’t have Brock solving all the groups problems with it every time and there was no logical way to nerf it like they did for Snorlax and Charizard
>>
>>55800975
And if you raise a Geodude you get stuck with Graveler the whole game unless you find a friend to trade with
>>
>>55801041
From a campaign standpoint, Graveler isn’t that bad. It’s got the stats you would expect Onix to have, high attack and defense, shit everything else. Might not be on your elite 4 team but it can get you through part of the game. Onix is ass no matter what you do
>>
>>55801012
>it's more a consequence of being the first 'boss' in the game. it had to look imposing
They seemed to drop that idea completely after gen 1. The next two games have you fight a regular bird you've seen a thousand times, and a fucking nose lol.
>>
File: onix.png (38 KB, 1136x682)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>55797294
Get fucking mogged on
>>
>>55800991
Biggest victim of the anime is Misty’s Starmie
>rarely used
>few times it is it loses
>seems to be significantly weaker than her Staryu for some reason
>abruptly abandoned at her gym never to be seen again
Don’t know why the anime staff hated her Starmie so much
>>
>>55800891
I'd never actually used one myself before and it was also my first time playing a Kaizo hack so I was a bit blind on both fronts.
>>
>>55797430
man i miss ranger
>>
>>55797343
They fixed it in PLA.
>>
File: TPYsui.gif (705 KB, 320x240)
705 KB
705 KB GIF
>>55802921
Me too bro, me too
>>
>>55802921
>>55803142
do the ranger games hold up? I only played the first one as a kid, I remember it being pretty cool but might just be nostalgia goggles
>>
>>55797391
to be fair the size of two fully grown americans is comprehendible to the japanese
>>
>>55801092
Little ass defense having fagtron
>>
>>55797904
is that onix shiny
>>
>>55797340
Victim of its time. A lot of mons in gen I only have normal type moves so Onix does well against them.
>>
>>55800227
Killing me, anon. That's so fucking funny. Dumb ass has to to coil on top of people to even do damage

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.