[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1690947892616213.jpg (164 KB, 1400x1055)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Why isn't this the default?
>>
It is, everywhere in the game that matters.

>B-B-BUH MUH TODDLER CAMPAIGN
>>
because gamefreak doesn't actually want you to use it. there's a reason it was removed in scat and toilet
>>
Because easy mode is default.
>>
>>55798800
Because you can always just say no when you're in switch mode and meant to be in set. You can't do anything about it if you're stuck in a tough battle and you're in set when you meant to be on switch.

>>55798806
>there's a reason
Because the game is on the Nintendo Switch, not the Nintendo Set.
>>
>>55798800
Because I enjoy switching my mons after each battle instead of blitzing through the entire battle with just one mon
Only autists and nuzlockers (lol) cares about putting it in set
>>
>>55798836
yeah it is pretty funny how DSfags on this board cry about how you’re supposed to use 6 pokemon evenly but also cry that you have to use set mode when set mode does nothing but discourage using 6 pokemon evenly.
>>
>>55798836
gunna agree here, the game is actually harder (not saying it means much as both are easy, but just comparing the two) to maintain and level a party of 6 then to force yourself to Set and powerlevel a few mons. The more mons you level the less ahead of the curve you become.

Every single pokemon game is far too braindead and easy if you use 1 single mon (an unevolved starter works) and just blaze oneshot through the entire game. Managing 6 at least makes the game last a few hours longer
>>
Is this a new psyop? How does playing on Set mode make it impossible to evenly level 6 Pokémon? That is literally how I've played until Gen 9 lmfao
>>
>>55798847
Ah yes manually switching in my lv12 oddish so it takes a bunch of damage or a status condition and dies before it can KO anything totally encourages me to use it over my lv20 charmeleon who can just stay in and 1hko the thing in front of it
>>
>>55798847
this is how I play too btw, every single region since red/blue.
The reason I personally found Set better is instead of you 1turning every single encounter (they are sending water. You switch to electric. You oneshot. They are sending ground. You switch to water. You oneshot), you actually give the opponents a single turn between so you can actually take any damage
>>
>>55798836
>Because I enjoy switching my mons after each battle instead of blitzing through the entire battle with just one mon
Set isn't for powerleveling on single mon dumbfuck. It just means you have to play by the same rules as the AI and don't get a free switch-in.
>>
>>55798858
Exactly.
>>55798855
Get good retard. How can you struggle this much with Pokémon?
>>
>>55798875
>Get good retard
I did. Now you whine about me shitting on your childhood game by sweeping through it with one pokemon.
>>
>>55798871
If I don’t get a free switch-in then why would I switch?
>>
>>55798858
i like set because it puts me in positions where i have to struggle through an encounter without having a supereffective mon every time, which greatly increases the appeal of all-purpose moves and coverage.
>>
>>55798883
"If a boss dies in 1 hit on easy why would i change the difficulty to normal and have to take 2?"
There's no cure for thoughts like this, your opponent doesn't get free switches. You don't need free switches in a game this easy.
>>
File: yawnfag post.png (258 KB, 487x273)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>55798805
>>55798837
>>55798855
>>55798880
>>55798883
>>
>>55798897
playing like a retard on purpose != difficulty mode
>>
>>55798800
SHIFT IS BETTER!!!!!! IT'S A CHILDREN'S GAME
>>
>>55798883
>trainer sends out pokemon yours is weak to
>you switch to a pokemon with a type advantage
>your pokemon takes minimal damage from a resisted hit and defeats the opposing pokemon
Acquire skill faggot
>>
>>55798897
>You don't need free switches in a game this easy.
You’re right, I don’t. I can just sweep everything with my overleveled Charizard without having to switch a single time.
>>
>>55798909
>AIEEE LT SURGE SENT OUT A LV23 ELECTRIC POKEMON AGAINST MY LV37 CHARIZARD WHICH IT’S WEAK TO!!
>I BETTER MANUALLY SWITCH IN MY LV15 ODDISH!! THAT WILL DEFINITELY GET THE JOB DONE!!
>>
>>55798910
I mean yes you can? Congrats? Almost all repliers are saying that the difficulty is at least a little better if you use set with 6 (or even shift with 6 is still better then either with 1)
I'm not sure how you came to the retarded conclusion of spouting that single mon is the easiest and most braindead way to play, because yes it is.
>>
oh he's really fuming now
>>
>>55798921
>I'm not sure how you came to the retarded conclusion of spouting that single mon is the easiest and most braindead way to play, because yes it is.
he's arguing in bad faith
>>
>>55798918
the entire point of playing switch is to not overlevel the fuck out of some mons and to constantly shift (which is how you should play set as well) and try to keep the entire party around the same level..
>>
>>55798921
>Almost all repliers are saying that the difficulty is at least a little better if you use set with 6
How would set be harder if it discourages me from switching my pokemon and just encourages the sweep everything with one pokemon playstyle?
>>
>>55798922
lmao yeah he’s fucking mad that people still think his childhood game is easy even with his precious set mode
>>
>>55798927
how do you not understand you can play set and still switch every time the opponent sends out a pokemon, you just don't get free switches
It doesn't have to be literally free for you to do it
>>
>>55798936
>and still switch every time the opponent sends out a pokemon
why would I do that though
>>
>>55798918
It wouldn't get the job done either way
>>
>>55798939
Because you want to keep your party evenly leveled?
>>
>>55798948
why would I want to keep my party evenly leveled
>>
>>55798950
it's fun
>>
>>55798950
because that's how you play pokemon with multiple pokemon and prevent yourself from overpowering through the game, you (shockingly) raise multiple pokemon. By switching during the battles (as trainer battles give the bulk of exp)
>>
>>55798955
no it isn’t
>>
>>55798956
>you play pokemon by playing badly on purpose to pretend the game is challenging
huh?
>>
>>55798958
yes it is
>>
>>55798960
1) it's not challenging
2) it sounds that way and I get what you're saying. But no, it's a monster collector. The point of the game is actually to level up various monsters and form a team, the concept and design was never to blaze through with one pokemon since that's not even how the game is marketed. By using multiple pokemon and playing on Set (the choices here is free switches or not), and playing with a party to raise all your pokemon, that's all you're doing.

This is how you play most RPGs, you level the units you wanna use, especially a collectathon
>>
>>55798975
>I-IT’S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CHALLENGING
>Y-YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO USE AS MANY POKEMON AS POSSIBLE
why would I not just use switch mode then
>>
>>55798981
You can. But why make something that's a 3 on the difficulty scale a 2 for no reason? Let me put it another way, if i gave you a piss easy racing game, do you instantly go in options and turn on "auto turn" so you can hold accelerate and it clears the entire game for you?

If your answer is yes, then enjoy what you enjoy. No judgement! If your answer is no, why would you do that? Becuase you want to play the game without it playing itself for you?
Switch mode is literally a mode that gives you an incredible advantage (when using multiple mons), in that you get completely free switches. This is not normal. Ever play pokemon stadium? Can't do it there. Odd that your opponents can't do it either?

This is becasue if you want to switch pokemon, you take the damage for it. And damage you take, so after a dozen fights sometimes you might even have to go to the pokemon center, and think about who you're sending out. Can they take an extra hit after you switch them out?

It doesn't make it much harder at all, but it's extra few things to need to consider to make the game have any semblance of thought. It's not "playing badly", it's an option to LITERALLY GIVE YOU something free that's not supposed to be free, it's an option to cater to dumb/bad people.
>>
Y'all niggas retarded.
>>
>>55798975
You are right but shift doesn't take away from that that much
>>
>>55799000
> But why make something that's a 3 on the difficulty scale a 2 for no reason?
You’re right. Why would I switch my Charizard for Oddish for no reason?
>>
>>55799014
it doesn't. All it really does is a slight thought process of what attacks you want eaten on who and more pokemon center backtracks, but that's about it.

To me I prefer Set over Shift because to me, free switches don't feel fair. That's about it. It doesn't really make the game more challenging parsay, but it makes it feel more fair.

>>55799017
how did we go back to that? I had already rerouted the topic to leveling a team over leveling a single monster. My post was an explanation of shift vs set. Now you're back to the leveled mon vs solo mon?
>>
>>55799027
>how did we go back to that?
Because you started talking about difficulty again. Are we talking about difficulty, or are we talking about using as many Pokemon as possible? You can’t have it both ways.
>>
>>55799031
shift vs set is a slight "difficulty" increase, as I literally explained, because the setting is giving you free switches, preventing you from ever taking damage.
Getting free turns is in fact a difficulty decrease, even if both ways are piss easy.
>>
>>55799035
> shift vs set is a slight "difficulty" increase
Why should I care about a slight difficulty increase if I’m just going to play like a retard on purpose to pretend it’s more challenging than it is anyway?
>>
>>55799059
well since you've circled completely back to arguments I've already tried my best to explain to you, there's nothing left to say.
>>
>>55798900
Why is he always so easy to suss out? He's the easiest shitposter to filter because he always uses the exact same phrases.
>>
>>55799105
>Why is he always so easy to suss out?
because he’s right
>>
File: exp share strawpoll.png (36 KB, 877x418)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Yawnie lost.
>>
I'll admit, I'm new to posting in general (only a few days ago despite being a seasonal lurker for years), so I apologize for circumventing / feeding the discussions.
>>
>>55799107
>he lost which is why I can’t actually refute his points and need to resort to ad populum from people with such a poor understanding of the game’s mechanics they unironically think BW2 is a challenging game
lmao
>>
You lost. Speaking in third person won't change anything.
https://strawpoll.com/e6Z28YEbwnN/results
>>
>Set is good because le artificial difficulty
Just use pokemon that's weak to the mons your opponent is using lmao
>>
File: 1423895946604.jpg (108 KB, 300x449)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>55799126
>artificial difficulty
>>
File: setmode.png (466 KB, 1400x2112)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
>>
>>55799213
understood, so you're completely trolling
>>
>>55799219
the only trolling is the people pretending set mode makes the game harder just to go "wait no actually you're still supposed to play like a retard to make it hard"
>>
File: 1575259960244.jpg (208 KB, 1024x1024)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>
>>55799240
why should I care about it being a bannable offense

I'd rather make the waifu spam a bannable offense instead
>>
>>55799242
Both are equally cancerous.
>>
>>55799245
The wojak image still adds to the discussion. The waifu spam doesn't. You're just assblasted over the wojak image because it proves you wrong.
>>
>>55799250
>The wojak image still adds to the discussion.
No it doesn't. It only exists to strawman people you disagree with.
>>
>>55798800
Why is it on by default on battle facilities and pvp?
It makes everything too difficult
>>
>>55799258
>No it doesn't
Yes it does.

>It only exists to strawman people
What strawman? It's exactly the argument people are making in this very thread. "It makes the game harder" when it actually doesn't.
>>
>>55799267
It makes the game more difficult under certain circumstances. And yawnie, all of your arguments fall flat because the exact things you criticize the older games for are still possible in the new games. Soloing games with one Pokemon, ignoring your party, all of it. And it's made even worse with affection bonuses and boosts to X items.
>>
>>55799276
>It makes the game more difficult under certain circumstances
What circumstances?
>>
>>55799280
When you aren't playing the game like an autist trying to defeat the games in the most overwhelming ways possible. Not that you know what fun is or how to have it.
>>
>>55799281
>When you aren't playing the game like an autist
i.e. playing the game badly on purpose to circlejerk online over how hard it is

>Not that you know what fun is
sorry I don't find wasting a turn to switch in my oddish just to do the same thing charizard could've done but slower fun
>>
File: 1688879082400363.png (13 KB, 661x601)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>55799285
>i don't find it fun so it's impossible for anyone else to
Genuine autism.
>>
>>55799292
Now you're just attacking a strawman. The argument isn't "no one else finds it fun" the argument is "set mode doesn't make the game harder". Get an actual argument or fuck off.
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 124x113)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>55799281
>i find it fun so it's impossible for anyone else to not find it fun
Genuine autism.
>>
File: 1708068067189401.png (172 KB, 677x719)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>55798800
I ended up using Set because it's the default mode for pvp and I wanted to get better at it
>>
>>55799304
Note how I don't support the removal of anything that you like. I just want to turn it off myself. But somehow the mere thought of someone doing something different from you causes a meltdown.
>>
>>55799300
>the argument is "set mode doesn't make the game harder"
It does, if you spend the time to raise a party. You're not given free switches into whatever is strongest against the enemy and have to waste a turn switching. If you're going to just solo the game with your starter, switch or set won't make a difference. Just like exp share won't make a difference because your starter will always be ahead of everything else.
>inb4 but i can't beat USUM with my litten :(
>>
>>55799316
>It does, if you spend time playing the game badly on purpose
You can apply this to literally anything in any game ever.
>>
>uhhh you can choose not to use held items on your pokemon
>uhhhh you can choose to only use a team of 3 pokemon
>uhhh you can choose to only use the weakest attacking moves and use ember instead of flamethrower
>uhhh you can choose to not switch out when the game prompts you
>uhhh you can choose not to evolve any of your pokemon
>uhhh you can choose never to use your queen when you play chess
retards dont understand why some people would rather not shoot themselves in the foot when playing a game
>>
>>55799328
>You can apply this to literally anything in any game ever.
Yeah, challenge runs exist in other games. What of it? Where you can't find challenge, make it yourself.
>>
>>55799335
Glad we agree set mode isn't making the game harder, you playing like a retard on purpose is making the game harder.
>>
>>55799304
parroting is an admission of defeat
>>
>>55799345
Yeah, it's not fun to completely decimate games without a single ounce of effort. Do you play all your games on easy mode? You'd be playing like a retard on purpose to give yourself a challenge.
>>
>>55799357
>Yeah, it's not fun to completely decimate games without a single ounce of effort
It's also not fun to play retardedly on purpose because the developers couldn't do their jobs.
>>
>>55799360
What DO you find fun?
>>
>>55799367
Playing battle facilities and PvP.
>>
>>55799367
the only thing that gets his sperg brain going is making the same posts on /vp/ over and over again
>>
>>55799372
I'm not even so sure about that. I think he only shitposts so fervently because nothing is there to stop him.
>>
Anti-set mode niggas have no arguments. Of course GameFreak let them win. Fuck GF and fuck switch niggas (and Switch niggas)
>>
>I play SET because I want to pretend that a game made for 8 year olds is hard
Fucks sake
>>
>>55798800
>no L=A

Bullshit
>>
>>55799387
>NOOOOOO YOU MUST ENJOY MASHING A TO WIN IN A KIDDY GAME
you’re the type of retard that would be fine getting handed a level 100 charizard at the start of the game and thinks its fun to mash A to win the rest of the game
>>
>>55799240
pepe and wojak are tranny repellent and based. i wish we'd ban your kind instead
>>
>>55799387
Real niggas play Radical Red, thoughts?
>>
>>55798800
Set mode in single-player pokemon doesn't make the game "harder", it makes it slightly more balanced. Even turned on set mode for the entire single-player experience of a pokemon game, the game is still stupidly easy cause of dog shit ai, healing items, and over leveling your pokes. You would have to intentionally shoot yourself in the foot in order to make the game an actual challenge hence why nuzlockes are popular as they are. Set mode is the standard for the competitive play and post-game battle facilities, but the reason why those modes are actually difficult is cause removes the advantages single-player retards are used to. No bag items, equal leveled pokes, no free switching, slightly more competent ai.
>>
>>55799330
I don't think you understand.

The problem with your examples is in basic game design. Pokemon is not and never was desigend to plow through with your starter mashing A, although you do have the option.

The game is literally marketted for catching and raising pokemon, it's also suggested many times while playing to raise different pokemon.

You list several examples, by game design you're supposed to utilize and learn new more powerful moves. You are supposed to hold items. You are supposed to evolve your pokemon. You are supposed to level up your pokemon as much as you can.

However the game design struggles in that it, like all games, isn't perfect. And it wasn't designed to be streamrolled by 1 pokemon, which causes 1 pokemon to massively overlevel.

This is why "raising multiple pokemon" isn't "being retarded on purpose", it's playing the game how it's intended.

Set vs Shift are both intended, as they are options, intended in the game. One is to give you a free switch everytime you want, made to make the game easier. Yeah it's not much more difficult or effort, but you will be taking more hits/damage then not having it on. Set is to make the game more "fair", since it doesn't give you freebe switches and operates like PvP/Stadium and more follows the game rules.
>>
>>55798800
The game should use the easiest settings by default so kids can jump in. That said, there should always be the option to disable as many menu popups as possible.
>>
>>55798800
Most people don't enjoy playing the game the same way that you do.
>>
>>55798800
Because it's fucking useful for training.
>Go Magikarp!
>immediately swap to something else to defeat it
>NPC is about to use..., would you like to switch Pokémon?
>yes
>Go Magikarp!
>etc.
And it takes one B press to say no. Set mode is just a challenge mode that enforces saying no. Unless you have no willpower you can enforce the same challenge on yourself very easily in the newer games that don't have this.
>>
>>55799330
The same rules should apply to both player and opponent, that's why shift mode breaks the game and your other examples don't.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.