[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 678457.png (64 KB, 300x200)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Notable Games:
>pastebin.com/H1KdYApR

Pokémon Essentials
>Download (v21):www.mediafire.com/file/r7mo54xbg5xqlli/
>V21 Hotfixes:reliccastle.com/resources/1308/
>Changelog:essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Change_log
>Wiki:essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Essentials_Docs_Wiki

ROM Hacking:
>Making a GBA ROM hack:pastebin.com/bvSkBkev
>Gen 4-7 tools:pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR
>Disassemblies/Decompilations:github.com/pret/
>US Platinum source:github.com/gainax3/retsam_00jupc

Assets:
>Tilesets:www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
>Archived asset library:rheg.booru.org/
>WIP Gen 5 tiles:imgur.com/a/CiudS

Notable fan game communities:
>www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=289
>www.romhacking.net/
>>
Anyone have any cool ideas for a potential Mew encounter? I can't think of anything better than a Lost Woods ripoff.
>>
>Day 9000 of waiting for anyone to translate procyon and deneb
>>
first for kill yourself david
>>
>>56029273
Try a kid's playroom then the Mew is disguised as a stuffed toy. Or have a Mewtwo encounter where Mew helps to join you. Or Mew inside a capsule captured by the enemy organization.
>>
File: Demo dex.png (1.62 MB, 2102x1612)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
Here's every Fakemon that will be available for the 3-badge demo.
>>
Pokemon clover is still KINO
>>
>>56029287
>>
>>56029273
mirage island ripoff? little island hidden away somewhere. spread hints throughout the game that you can piece together to find it
>>
>>56028867
Unless I'm wrong, Ohana3DS (Rebirth and SPICA included) fails to edit any of the Gen 7 model types outside of the pokemon
Is there any interest about an Ohana-like tool that fully supports Gen 7?
I feel like I'll have to bruteforce myself into creating it at this point
>>
>>56029279
aren't those hacks still unfinished?
>>
>>56029273
through a "glitch" (retardedly convoluted event) like R/B
>>
>>56029367
I was going to give the player something equivalent to the Old Sea Map after catching everything else in the dex, but having the entrance to where Mew resides blocked off until you can solve some sort of riddle with hints discovered throughout the region sounds like a good idea. It would give me a nice opportunity to write some UFO schizo characters.
>>
File: girl 1.png (4 KB, 240x160)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Does /rheg/ still do playtests? Looking for anyone willing to play through a 3 gym demo.
>>
>>56031374
Post it. I haven't played a rom hack since starting my own.
>>
>>56029329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAIITYy3QY
>>
>>56030060
>Is there any interest about an Ohana-like tool that fully supports Gen 7?
I doubt it considering how little interest there is in gen 7 hacking in general. If you are interested in such a tool you should absolutely create it. Be the change you want to see.
>>
>>56031463
Message me on the pret discord tdilos#1098
>>
>>56032707
No. Just post it.
>>
>>56032707
kys faggot
>>
>>56032717
https://www.mediafire.com/file/89lefz05rk9hk21/pokemon_tourmaline_v0.1.zip/file

Check the README before playing. I'd like detailed feedback on the whole game, so please consider messaging me one way or another.
>>
>>56033544
I'm only gonna say that if you use FLIPS (Floating IPS) to make BPS patches, they'll be smaller than other methods. Also, go redownload a proper Emerald ROM and make the patch, again. I'm tired of every retard that tells people to ignore the checksum when everyone has the correct ROM except you.
>>
>>56034080
>distributing a patch and not just the rom
This isn't pokecommunity. Nobody gives a shit about piracy and GBA roms are relatively small for modern standards.
>>
>>56032969
you first sperg.
>>
>>56031374
>>56033544
I played the hack on normal mode up to the power station (don't really know where to go after delivering the machine parts).

Overall I really liked what I saw. The tiles and palette changes are really nice, I liked the map designs and the writing wasn't cringe.
The biggest issue I encountered was that the game randomly crashed several times at the start of wild battles, so anyone interested in playing it should save(state) often.

Here are the notes I took so far: https://files.catbox.moe/kylnzo.7z
>>
>>56035185
>game randomly crashed several times
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a result of ignoring the checksum since doing so will usually result in data not being written where it's supposed to be.
>>
>>56028867
I, Jason Godwyn, just found out I outlived Relic Castle.
Good.
>>
>>56033544
Here's a copy of the gba file. Hopefully this fixes any game crash issues.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8004c1an3aw5vht/tourmaline_v0.1.zip/file

>>56035185
Thanks for the feedback. I fixed most of the things you pointed out.

You're supposed to go through the power station and exit out the back. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The grunt in the woods is supposed to be a surprise difficulty spike. Play it again and let me know if you still think it's too hard.
>>
>>56029287
You first sneed
>>
File: end.png (6 KB, 240x160)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>56035185
I went back and finished the demo. Here are my notes for the rest: https://litter.catbox.moe/nxxdhm.7z

>>56035840
While I didn't play this version much, it does seem that it indeed doesn't have the wild battle crashes, glitch pokemon or glitched music.
>>
have any good romhacks been released this year?
>>
>>56037281
pokemon clover's 2.0 will release this late november
>>
File: PokemonEvergreenFlyer.png (1.03 MB, 1814x2519)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>
>>56037384
What's the point of having natures if you can just change them?
>>
>>56037406
stat boosting, +10% / -10% adds up if the game is sweaty enough
>>
>>56037424
Not like you'd ever pick a nature that isn't Modest, Timid, Adamant, or Jolly.
>>
>>56030436
It seems the devs are still chipping at it but it has been years since the demo released and to my knowledge the best english resource is playing along with an LP from the Nuzlocke forums.
>>
>>56037752
>the best english resource is playing along with an LP from the Nuzlocke forums
What about using some kind of OCR+translator setup like Retroarch's AI service?
>>
>finally a new /rheg/
>dies in 3 days with less than 40 posts
Meawhile furryfuckers and bait threads are getting hundreds of posts
Sad shit
>>
>>56040158
I'll bump with progress, even though my game is slowly turning into a shitpost game.
>>
>>56040158
I haven't been working on anything that makes for a good post.
Right now I'm coming up with a solution to making Pokemon have different level-up movepools for a sub-region the player can visit in postgame.
>>
>>56029273
I'll probably never complete my project, so I'll give mine.
A large Crystal is a top Mt Pyre that legends say contains the Wishmaker, fallen from the stars. They say the Wishmaker sealed itself away in the crystal to protect itself after the last wish it granted saved the world from destruction.
[/spoiler] the twist being that the evil team breaks through the crystal, and the outline visible through the crystal (pretty obviously Jirachi) winds up being a mew in disguise, who sealed itself away long ago to protect the real Jirachi[/spoiler]
Probably too autistic and would be better as a "specter of Jirachi" that haunts the player throughout the game and spurring on th events, but I think anything that leverages Transform is fertile ground for storytelling with Mew, an objectively better Zoroark.
>>
>>56040397
I kinda like your idea of leaning into Mew being one of the two Pokemon being able to naturally learn Transform. I likely won't use your idea exactly, but forcing the player to fight different Pokemon that turn out to be Mew sounds like fun. In encounters where you can't catch the Pokemon, of course.
>>
Anyone have a link to the Rising Ruby/Sinking Sapphire files? I don't need the rom, just whatever file changes the game on my 3DS to the rom hack
>>
>>56040158
Damn, just visited this general after 2 years. Where did all of the lazy idea guys that would just argue endlessly bumping the thread go? Even if this place doesn't have the most traction, it was way livelier in the past.
Was it just from the new pokemon games? That's where I lost interest, personally.
And there weren't that many notable hacks coming out as well. Probably because all of the good ones are vapourwave by now.
>>
>>56041010
Gen 8 destroyed this board.
>>
>>56041010
Moved on, got old, organized into teams, now haunt ideaguy discords
You name it. The Exodus is not organized, and that is okay. We await a new generation that is not coming to this place. It's okay, that is the way of things. Be happy for what it was, not what it is.
>>
>>56041010
>Was it just from the new pokemon games? That's where I lost interest, personally
it's certainly a factor. this was already a fairly niche part of the fandom, and with general interest in the series waning there's no stream of new people to keep it alive. on top of that, people into romhacks are probably among the more nostalgic fans, considering they immerse themselves in old versions of the game and pixel graphics. so the overlap of people who have abandoned the series and were interested in romhacking is probably pretty strong.
and yeah there's also the fact that most hacks and fangames just don't ever get finished. this general's been running on and off for like a decade and I can't recall if a single complete hack has come out of it. a handful of people have advertised their completed hacks here, but very rarely if ever has anybody who documented their progress through /vp/ ever released a finish product. it just kills whatever momentum there was. there's no new people to grow the general, and long time posters have abandoned it because it goes nowhere and they're tired of being blue balled.
it's a shame because romhacking tools are better than they ever have been. /rheg/ would have been ecstatic to have pokeemerald expansion a decade ago. but it is what it is, the zeitgeist has moved on. most people dedicated to this have moved to discord communities. that's just the way she goes.
only person left who really posts here is David and everybody is tired of him so that's the final nail in the coffin. in fact David is kind of microcosmic of the problem, he is all big ideas and talk but no progress. thats been the issue with this general from the beginning and now David is synonymous with it and people can project their frustrations on him. basically any criticism of him is a veiled critique of the state of this thread
>>
>>56041204
There was that really autistic period where people wanted to make rom hack discussion into its own general for no good reason, despite neither thread getting very much traffic at the time.
>>
>>56041204
>on top of that, people into romhacks are probably among the more nostalgic fans, considering they immerse themselves in old versions of the game and pixel graphics.

Yeah it just dawned on me that there will soon be more Nu 3D Pokemon games than 2D ones. Pixel graphics will be a relic of the past. I wonder if these 2D games will be forgotten like with Fallout 1 & 2 after they went 3D. Or maybe the nostalgia will be too strong?
If there were somehow a way to make rom hacks for the new 3D games, even Gen 6, that shit would sell like hot cakes.

>it's a shame because romhacking tools are better than they ever have been. /rheg/ would have been ecstatic to have pokeemerald expansion a decade ago.
Oh really? Was that a year ago or something? Might try out rom hacking proper since I was just a lurker here.
>>
>>56041332
Different anon, but it's been way better in the past ~8 or so years than it has been prior. Because you no longer need a suite of random tools to edit a rom directly, you're essentially working just with the game's source code.
>>
>>56041204
>>56041332
Also forgot to ask if the Gen 4 tools managed to gain any progress? Things were developing pretty rapidly last I was here. People even managed to port following pokemon to Gen 5.

And also also forgot to ask if BDSP modding made any progress? It's basically just running on Unity, so modding and making full fledged romhacks could be possible.

>>56041338
So not much then? Were there any QoL updates last year at least?
>>
>>56041355
>Were there any QoL updates last year at least?
Yes, there's plenty of free-use extensions to the gen 2/3 engines that you can just drag into a new project pretty much.
>>
Is there a simple complete pokedex hack for USUM?
I don't want to be able to capture literally every single pokemon or any other changes, just being able to get both of the version exclusives in one playthrough is enough
>>
>>56041958
>Is there a simple complete pokedex hack for USUM?
Maybe not, but you could probably make one pretty easily with pk3ds.
>>
>>56037384
Looks good.
>>
whoever posted this in the lets play
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-VJQjGd_HzPvHy4Ix3Lk0Bg1PPvLE3A/view
it's in the trash and I can't try it
>>
>>56043016
I could probably add the encounters but I don't think it can do anything for the story-related exclusives
Seems crazy to me that after so many years there is no hack for every gen that fixes the issues of having 2 different versions for most games
>>
>>56041010
the board is shittier than ever and the thread's been infested with shitflingers for long enough that most devs stopped bothering to post, since people would be so busy crying about random menial bullshit that you'd almost never get actual feedback
>>
>>56041204
I'd also add the fact that romhacking is a thankless job. You have to put in a ton of effort to make a whole game from scratch and you will never see a single penny out of it due to its unofficial nature, and that also leaves you with the risk of it getting taken down by shitendo
You also have to put together a team if you want to get your game done in a reasonable timeframe and that means dealing with a particularly autistic subset of the extremely autistic pokemon community, which means your project has high chances of imploding due to one autistic faggot who can't work with the others
And even if your game gets released it will be buried under the pile of "Fire red but with all 9 gens, smogon teams and pokemon changes" slop that's pushed by streamers
AND there's also the fact that the Pokemon fanbase is not only autistic, it's also extremely low IQ, so you will have to deal with a constant barrage of
>HURRR WHERE CAN I FIND THIS THING DOCUMENTATION IS TLDR LUL
>HURRR WHY U NO ADD X FEATURE, OTHER HACKS HAVE IT SO WHY DON'T U
>HURRR WHERES MUH INFINITE RARE CANDIES
>HURRR MAKE A VERSION WITH NO FAKEMONS
>HURRR MAKE A VERSION WITH NO CHANGES
>HURRR MAKE A VERSION WHERE YOU REMOVE THIS ONE DUNGEON BECAUSE I'M TOO RETARDED TO GET THROUGH IT
and so on...
It's just sad really
>>
File: simtest.png (30 KB, 640x576)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
I just realized I never posted this here, feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xzu210b3u3zygrc/pokeperidot_simtest.gbc

This is a standalone version of my semi-roguelike battle facility. Something akin to the Battle Pyramid.
>Start with just a Porygon2 and complete a random selection 3 maps, each becoming increasingly difficult and with unique NPCs associated to each difficulty level.
>You are given 30 pokeballs for use in this facility, regular items are not allowed.
>Defeating trainers grants points that can be used to pay for nurse heals. The amount of points you end a run with will influence how much BP is gained.
>At the end of the 3 maps, battle a boss that randomly selects from a list of parties.
>Pokemon can be released from the party menu.
>If you white out, the run is over.
>>
>>56044750
>I could probably add the encounters but I don't think it can do anything for the story-related exclusives
Yeah, I guess the lack of script editing capabilities for gen 7 would limit you quite a bit.
>Seems crazy to me that after so many years there is no hack for every gen that fixes the issues of having 2 different versions for most games
It's not that crazy. Most players don't care about catching them all or getting all exclusives and those who do are probably satisfied by online trading or injecting. So the demand for such hacks isn't that high.
For romhackers making more pokemon available is just another improvement they add on top of all the other changes in their QoL/difficulty hacks. Most wouldn't consider it a substantial enough change to warrant making into its own hack.
And when you consider how few people hack the newer games, it's no surprise that such hacks don't exist for every game.
>>
>>56035840
Bumping this thread now, but I'll start your hack tomorrow morning.
>>
Teams for my evil team admins
Rex - 1st battle
Croagunk (Lv. 16) - Dry Skin - Poison Sting/Mud Slap/Low Kick/Taunt
Scraggy (Lv. 17) - Intimidate - Feint Attack/Headbutt/Low Kick/Sand Attack
Suplexaurus (Lv. 18) - Fighting - Guts - 95/115/80/55/55/60 - Rock Smash/Bind/Taunt/Seismic Toss

Felix - 1st battle
Dottler (Lv. 19) - Eviolite - Swarm - Struggle Bug/Confusion/Reflect/Light Screen
Meditite (Lv. 20) - Pure Power - Reversal/Endure/Detect/Work Up
Cephalobe (Lv. 21) - Psychic/Electric - Inner Focus - 80/42/70/118/80/90 - Confusion/Nasty Plot/Water Pulse/Thunder Shock

Alexa - 1st battle
Pawniard (Lv. 25) - Defiant - Fury Cutter/Sucker Punch/Iron Head/Aerial Ace
Inkay (Lv. 26) - Contrary - Pluck/Night Slash/Psycho Cut/Foul Play
Panumbra (Lv. 27) - Dark/Ghost - Super Luck - 80/105/75/60/80/100 - Night Slash/Phantom Force/Moonlight/Feint Attack
>>
>>56046223
kys
>>
>>56046620
no idea what those last pokemon are
>>
>>56046629
They’re Fakemon.
>>
>>56046641
yeah, postem I want to see what they are because I don't know
>>
>>56046646
>>56029300
The wrestler kaiju are Wresaur and Suplexaurus
The bobcat and panther are Lynyx and Panumbra, respectively
The brain octopuses are Neuropus and Cephalobe
>>
>>56046662
neat,
you should add names and types to the picture
>>
>>56040204
https://youtu.be/oBIJkTWMcts
>>
>>56033544
Battle style set to shift by default is good. More hacks should do that.
Didn't hear any new music right away so I played it muted.
The pokedex is already unlocked before May gives you one.
Scripting movement is really stiff. Like the objects are moving one step at a time.
You left the debug viewer in(pressing select on the stats screen). This caused a crash while scrolling through.
It's lame that you teleport to the lab when trying to leave town the first time.
Wild Pokemon can be such a low level in the first 2 areas, there's hardly any point in catching them.
Trainer AI, at least in early areas, can be particularly dumb(using Fake Out several turns in a row).
What's the point in the shiny charm if you get it so early?
Black screen crash when leaving the bag during a wild battle. I didn't save so I stopped playing midway through the forest.
>>
File: 89263.jpg (693 KB, 638x1050)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
>>56041204
>>56044842
Wish I had something substantial to put back into the romhacking scene in general. My love for vidya in general comes from the 8/16/and 32 bit era and has waned more and more since the 6th gen. Indie games never quite scratched the itch the older games left me with, and I was getting tired of beating the same handful of games over, and over, and over.... and over again. Told my issues to somebody on /vr/, they introduced me to the romhacking scene, and it has rekindled my love for videogames in general. Just a bunch of passionate, creative people that love and respect the series they are working on just giving me more of what I liked, refining it, or putting an interesting twist and things you didn't think possible in these old games.

It's really amazing and I appreciate you guys like you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>56048137
>"in general" three times

I need to get some coffee.
>>
>>56044842
yeah definitely. whenever somebody makes a post advertising their hack on reddit or whatever, 9/10 comments are not actually engaging with what's presented, but just people listing off their own wishlist of things to be included. everybody has their own idea of what a romhack SHOULD be, but only a handful are willing to actually develop them, and for some reason the former expect the latter to make their perfect game for them. it's a lot of entitlement.
all in all it's a whole lot of work, and little reward, except for your own satisfaction.
>>56048137
yeah it's pretty great when it does work out. pokemon is a series so rife for iteration, and there's still so much to explore in those old engines. it's awesome that fans can keep delivering new experiences that fill the hole that gamefreak doesn't anymore. it's just a shame there's also so many pitfalls.
it would be awesome if gamefreak would release an official modding suite and just let people have at it, it would solve a lot of issues like getting dmca'd or having to learn complicated tools. Japan shouldn't be so afraid to let people mod their games, look at how much life modding capabilities has given to games like Skyrim and Fallout.
that said, the tools are getting really lately. pokeemerald is getting to the point where there's so many extensions and features available that are super easy to use. they just need to streamline event coding a little bit and I think there could still be a golden age of romhacks in the future. as the tools get better, and more people get hungry for a classic pokemon experience...there will still be plenty of games on the horizon to look forward to.
>>
>>56049282
>that said, the tools are getting really lately.
getting really good*
>>
>>56049282
>they just need to streamline event coding a little bit
what do you mean? doesn't poryscript already do that?
>>
File: hieu-ginta-artstation.jpg (497 KB, 1920x1080)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>56049282
Yeah, I always just feel a little bad as, like you or that other anon said, it's such a thankless job. You'll get people putting all this love and energy into making something genuinely great and all they get in return is a niche audience who might leave them a like or comment for capturing, updating, or expanding on something we all liked as kids and that has since gone in a completely different directions. Worse, they may get a c&d if their romhack actually does get traction.

It's cheesy, but I believe that people who make romhacks are the unsung heroes of the retro gaming hobby... on the flipside of that, you never know what would happen if it became more mainstream and got more traction. Right now it's something that is filled with people who genuinely love the games they are working on and it shows. Make it more accessible or mainstream... and well, we see what happened to legitimately every hobby that has gone that route.
>>
>>56044842
I am never making a guide for my hack, and I don't feel bad about it in the slightest.
>>
When I was younger I would have been all over it. I did try but had much less community tools to work with. But the general gameplay is just really unrewarding to me. I like the mainline games only because they're mainline, but after that, I just can't bring myself anymore to play turn based pokemon for long after so many years of doing it. That's the biggest deterrent for me is the gameplay at the end of all that work is just meh.
>>
>>56049948
I think the right mentality going into rom hack development is to first and foremost make something you really want to play. Trends change like the wind and trying to cater to outside forces will leave you working on a high-effort project that isn't necessarily going to cater to your needs. Have confidence in your design, and you'll find an audience.
>>
>>56049412
yeah I guess so, it has gotten a lot more accessible in recent years. but you still need to do a liiittle bit of coding for ambitious storytelling so it's about the only real hurdle at this point, other than the sheer time commitment, which is what most people really underestimate.
I do see a fair number of hacks in progress on discord (although it's anyone's guess how many are actually going to be finished) and the tools are making regular progress. I don't think the medium is dead, it's just slow paced.
>>56050471
I think this is partly why difficulty hacks are so popular, it gives an extra element to the gameplay. as much as some people like the idea of a vanilla-like game with a brand new region and story, at the end of the day there's only so many times you can play the core pokemon gameplay loop. and let's be honest, most romhackers aren't the best writers, so you need something else to hook people. you have to be a difficulty hack or have a ton of mechanics like Unbound does to stand out.
certainly some people will be happy just to play a chill hack but it won't reach a wide audience without that cherry on the top.
>>
>>56050508
The problem with that is that there's not enough people whose big idea for "what they want to play" goes beyond "difficulty hack and Luxray is Electric/Dark now".
>>
>>56051381
That's not so much a problem because those kinds of hacks can be safely ignored. If you're doing it for attention, you've already failed.
>>
>>56041355
>Also forgot to ask if the Gen 4 tools managed to gain any progress? Things were developing pretty rapidly last I was here. People even managed to port following pokemon to Gen 5.
>
>And also also forgot to ask if BDSP modding made any progress? It's basically just running on Unity, so modding and making full fledged romhacks could be possible.

help
>>
>>56053366
Not really for gen 4. BDSP has plenty, but AFAIK they aren't sharing anything because they want twitter attention.
>>
>>56053377
thanks
>>
>>56053377
faggots like those who hoard information should be hanged
>>
There a guide anywhere on how to emulate gen4 with a ROM hack?
>>
>>56029300
Why are you shilling on smogon now?
>>
are there any good gen 2 randomizer hacks?
>>
Would any of you be autistic enough to play a fangame designed for the IBM PC?

>>56054019
The fallout of Team Xecuter and Pokemon Uranium lingers over us all.
>>
>>56041010
An additional reason is the amount of work needed to make a "decent" - in the eyes of the community - game has gone up tremendously in the past few years. Lots of people who plays games like Unbound, Rejuvenation, etc, suddenly have high standards for an average fangame, and aren't afraid to voice it. Anyways, to make this leap in quality, usually you need a team and time. However, the longer a game takes and the more people are involved, the more likely it is to be canceled.
>>
>>56054186
from the first pastebin in OP:
>download emulator for game
>download patcher
>download original file
>patch original game with the rom hack patch with patcher
>play game
>>
>>56041010
Why would anyone want to bother themselves with a game series that doesn't treat itself respectfully? That's effectively what happened with the thread.
Also, yeah. as anon stated above, romhacks and shit have gotten a lot less about.. smaller displays of passions. In the past, most people made little garden sheds with crosses on top. But as the scopes got larger, people stopped dreaming of it. Now everyone dreams of building cathedrals that take hundreds of years to complete. They become delusional and begin trying to build their own grandiose cathedrals, only to get a reality check and be heavily discouraged.
And many of the people who previously enjoyed them have been spoiled by the likes of Notre-Dame. They look to those still building the sheds, making due with what they have, and scoff at them. They don't see a reason to stick around and enjoy them for what they are. They withdraw themselves, wishing for everyone to build such magnificent cathedrals without realizing or caring about what such workloads entail to the average person.
Like it or not, but people enjoy attention to their work, especially if they've taken the plunge and shared it online. If people don't get attention, they're less likely to pursue sharing it in the future, or may even drop the hobby entirely.
>>
>>56056259
>people stopped dreaming of it.
Fuck, I shouldn't write analogies while tired.
>People heightened their standards, putting aside their garden sheds that they previously took pride in.
>>
A bump in the morning.
Wow, there's barely anyone around anymore.
The IBM PC can be emulated fairly easily with 86box by the ways, if you don't have a kick ass 8086 or 8088 PC like I do.
>>
>>56028867
>There's no playthrough of Viva Las Vegas online anywhere...
Wish me luck anons...*drives away with a suitcase of Energypowers and Revival Herbs to another faggot adventure.
>>
>>56055997
>>56057386
>Would any of you be autistic enough to play a fangame designed for the IBM PC?
A better question is whether you're autistic enough to develop such game.
>>
>>56057565
I am currently writing an assembler for myself right now for my Tandy 1000 because I don't have anything other than Debug.com, so yes! I in fact am!
>>
>>56057672
Realistically the intersection between IBM PC fans and Pokemon fans is likely very small, but if it's something you're interested in you should just enjoy making the project instead of worrying about how popular it would be.
>>
>>56057797
I'm asking because I don't know whether to share it or not, and how stupid I should be with it.
>>
>>56057800
I will be honest with you. If you ever make a demo you can share it. It will probably be picked up by some quirky youtuber and get a couple hundred thousands views, but the number of people who actually play it will be counted on one hand.
Essentially it will be a generally thankless effort.
>>
File: IMG_3643.jpg (209 KB, 1280x707)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
Do you think this feels more like a region?
>>
>>56058670
The only thanks I need is that one "lets play fangames" thread to pick it up and give me feedback :P

>>56058679
I don't even know why you're trying to make Puget Sound a region. It's not even the most interesting part of Washington geographically, that would be more towards The Gorge region.
>>
>>56058935
Just stealth-shill your game by playing it yourself.
>>
File: IMG_3644.jpg (20 KB, 258x202)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>56058935
Better?
>>
>>56058943
I'm not a good Lets Player. I've tried the forum and website styles before, I just can't figure out good commentary.

>>56058946
Eh, I've seen worse region locations.
Still, I think Mt. Adams to Kenwick is more interesting.
>>
>>56058946
is this David trying to redesign his region?
or some other guy?
if the latter, jsyk there is an autistic faggot here already trying to make a fan game based on Washington who everybody hates. not to discourage you, there's no reason two people can't make a Washington region and frankly you'll probably finish before him. just don't spam and become David 2.0
>>
File: IMG_3645.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>56059033
I just want to take after the old region layout (from Kanto to Unova) where it’s only a small part of an area rather than just an entire country.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylje3p1XUEI anyone play this romhack? seems pretty fun, imo better comedy hack than clover
>>
>>56059191
You know what? That'd work out for ya. The peninsula is a good place to start. Plenty of islands to visit too, for water routes.
>>
File: mapRegion0.png (10 KB, 480x320)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>56059393
Wdyt?
>>
Where the fuck are the actual devs with progress and PLAYABLE demos? FUCK David and ideafags.
>>
File: 1709609635882875.png (179 KB, 503x385)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>Important battle
>lol permanent weather

This kind of thing feels so cheap, yes i can throw another weather, but still just a excuse to throw broken mons,specially if is perma rain.
>>
>>56059449
This feels a bit stretched out as a region but it's not a terrible design.
Thanks for showing progress, David.
>>
>>56059457
two playable demos were posted in this thread
>>
>>56040158
ragebait and porn franchise, please understand.
>>
File: file.png (2 KB, 337x39)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>56059457
See >>56044896
4 of you fucks downloaded it, but no one posted feedback.
>>
Is Inclement Emerald good for blind nuzlocke?
>>
>>56044896
A nice QoL is if a trainer is blocking a nurse, he should be able to move.
>>
>>56062564
Which map was that? I'll likely end up moving that trainer, or I'll just have trainers disappear when they're defeated.
>>
>>56062591
Maybe it could a yes/no after the battle. "Do you need me to be gone?"
It was the cyberspace map, stage 2.
On a side note, I've encountered a bug. Hang on, currently splicing my footage up to show it.
>>
>>56062606
None of the trainers have dialogue and they're not real people so having them fade out when you win can be justified.
>>
>>56062695
Fadeout works too I guess.
https://files.catbox.moe/0mv816.7z
I wish I had thought about somehow saving my replay before I hit ctrl+R, so unfortunately this vague slop is all you're gonna get.
>>
>>56062725
I have somehow apparently BUCK BROKEN your fucking game, what the ACTUAL fuck am I witnessing
"There was a wild Pokemon inside!"
>>
>>56062763
Okay, the game just totally broke. I think that's the end of my playthrough.
Interesting concept! I liked it a lot, but the nurse joy thing was a run killer for my second run. Not to mention, I am already pretty shit at Pokemon to begin with. I feel like the BP rewards are very low for what it is.
I'mma stitch the two recordings I have and give you the other save states I have.
>>
File: Tahomamap2.png (29 KB, 240x160)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>56059449
>>
>>56062773
Okay, it's done. Unfortunately it was just a tad too big for regular catbox, so you get it in two pieces.
https://files.catbox.moe/a62x8w.001
https://files.catbox.moe/g94of8.002
Thanks for the fun! I await the next update with bated breath!
>>
>>56062773
>I feel like the BP rewards are very low for what it is.
The intention is that it's a way to get a foothold with some BP and get some battle-related items to build a real team for the battle subway. But I can compromise by giving higher levels more of a reward instead of it being a strictly linear increase.
I'll check out your files and hopefully figure out what caused that issue with the biker, because I've never seen it before.
>>
>>56062773
After watching the video included, I think I know what the issue is. I'm still downloading what came from the other post.
>>
>>56062928
Did you download the footage?
The biker issue shows up at around 30:56.
>>
File: Tahomamaps.png (60 KB, 240x320)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
Which one?
>>
>>56063344
Yes, I believe that has to do with you entering the maps without the correct flags set. But I did fix the issue with the NPC not moving back to block the counter when you go off screen.
>>
>>56063505
I wonder what flags weren't set properly then. I would've thought the flags would've been reinitialized every time you enter a new level.
Glad to see the fix at least, because "the connection to virtual reality was lost" softlock is a surprising impromptu re-enactment of Lost Silver that was not particularly welcomed.
>>
>>56063521
>I wonder what flags weren't set properly then.
One that sets the battle sim flag, one that sets how many balls you're given, and another to randomize what map you play first.
https://github.com/TheSeaTree/pokeperidot/blob/dev/maps/BattleSimulation.asm#L110
I'm not entirely sure why those would break NPCs, but it might have to do with not having a party because you give the Porygon2 back after each run. Outside of this demo you'd have a regular party that would be restored afterward.
>>
>>56063554
Well, I could tell you what the flags states were before, during and after the encounter if I knew the memory address(es) of said flags.
Still confused on how a biker with 5 Pokemon showed up like that. Is there a biker like that in the assembly or is it junk data that just happened to be level capped to 50 or something?
>>
>>56063565
That's a normal party. The third level trainers have 5x lv50 Pokemon. But what has me curious is that the battle still tries to begin even without you having any Pokemon. Normally it will just flash to white and end the battle instantly, but that might be due to it reloading a totally blank party(this would never happen in the real game).
>>
>>56063586
Oh, that's not the same biker I'm talking about.
The Macargo biker I have Porygon with me. I even check my party BEFORE that happens(30:52.)
The biker in the lava area, where I managed to bypass the guy at the desk, immediately whites me out before the battle happens.
>>
>>56063603
I forgot the timestamp for the volcano biker. That's 27:32
I think I know what happened now. I just did a test. The wild encounter ALWAYS brings out the biker. I think the volcano biker overwrote the encounter table somehow, and for whatever reason this encounter table did NOT get refreshed when I ended up in the forest.
>>
>>56063603
The Simulation will drop your party off like with the Bug Catching contest, but all 6 slots. Since the demo doesn't give you any party Pokemon when you start a new game, it must not overwrite the Porygon2 when you leave and while you can't see or use it, it's still considered a filled slot and will initiate trainer battles(that you immediately lose because you have no Pokemon).
>>
>>56063496
bro it doesn't matter. I guarantee the difference between those two isn't going to make a difference to a single player. don't worry about it so much right now, there should be a bit of dev back and forth between your region map and your actual maps; use these region maps as a rough reference for mapping, but when you actually start to make maps you will probably find that you are making changes as you go as you start to see how everything fits together from the ground level. things that you think might work on that scale might not come out the way you imagined when you actually map it, and vice versa. basically don't plan to finalize the region map until you have all your maps completed.
it's really not a big deal from a player perspective, I understand wanting to get a firm grasp on it for worldbuilding purposes and to have reference while mapping. but a player isn't going to sit there analyzing it, it's just a method to navigate.
so let it be a fluid process, you don't have to nail it down yet. I know this general gives you shit for changing your mind all the time, but it's normal for things to change frequently during development. the point is, don't get hung up on perfecting one little thing, because the reality is the project is a whole set of gears and when you change one thing it affects others. and do when you run into an issue down the road where you're making maps and you can't get them to fit in your map perfectly, don't be in the mindset that that map is final and untouchable, allow yourself to have some wiggle room. and also, we don't need updates on every single change lol.
but keep it up, I don't mean to be hard on you, I can tell you're actually trying.
>>
>>56063618
Actually, scratch that. It's a battle store. Encountering another trainer results in the battle being overwritten. It's weird that the wild battle doesn't generate the data BEFORE it throws the trainer data out.
https://files.catbox.moe/tbq0k4.mp4

>>56063631
>will initiate trainer battles
I'm not too familiar with how Gen 2's battle system works, but the timestamp I provided doesn't reach the battle screen before I am immediately ejected for having no usable Pokemon.
>>
File: Regionmaps.png (139 KB, 500x500)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>56063633
Thank you.
The pics are from a suggestion someone made about making a region based off a small area (Kanto-Unova) rather than a whole country.
>>
File: 2024-06-21-2017-23.webm (1.39 MB, 640x576)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB WEBM
>>56063636
I'm just drawing conclusions because I don't know what the battle function looks like off the top of my head, but that makes the most sense to me. When you start a fresh game and never obtain a Pokemon, battles will never initiate. You'll get a fade out and it will end instantly. It's probably doing the same here(checking if you have any valid Pokemon), and giving you a loss because you have a valid slot(where the Porygon used to be), but no Pokemon with enough HP to battle.
Normally you'd never be able to have 0HP on the overworld without whiting out, but you didn't encounter any checks for that until being spotted by the trainer.
I'll have to look more into encountering trainers during wild battles. Can you reproduce that while entering normally?
>>
>>56063671
What do you mean by "entering normally?" Do you mean like, storing a battle and then encountering them in the wild?
I think the only way to reproduce it is by first whiting out in the overworld thanks to a trainer encounter. That way it loads the battle, but never actually does anything with the data until the wild Pokemon encounter.
This means that with you fixing the guy who is at the desk, it cannot happen again, unless some other means to have a 0HP Pokemon while not succumbing to a check early(so no Poison) is produced.

Frankly I don't know how I even managed to get the guy to leave his post the first time, but I'll let you know if I can somehow muster a repeat later.
>>
>>56063688
>What do you mean by "entering normally?" Do you mean like, storing a battle and then encountering them in the wild?
I meant by entering the Battle Simulation the intended way, by talking to the NPC.
>Frankly I don't know how I even managed to get the guy to leave his post the first time
NPC positions reset when they go off screen. I had him move to be next to the PC when you exit the simulation, and simply needed to "move" him again to the original spot.
https://github.com/TheSeaTree/pokeperidot/commit/9d4905498b353411f998f2507d3cfbc595fcda31
>>
>>56063710
Ah, yeah.
The only other way I can think of is by depositing all but your fainted Pokemon in the box and then carefully inching your way via save-scumming towards wherever you want to be(you can only take 2 or so steps before it realizes that you don't have usable Pokemon.) I think that's a Gen 1 oversight that was fixed in Gen 2 though, and if someone is doing this, just let them.
>>
>>56063716
You can't deposit your final healthy Pokemon so that's impossible.
>>
>>56063729
Sounds like that solved itself then.
I wonder what caused the Raichu softlock.
>>
File: 1709469344880282.png (47 KB, 577x519)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>download Roaming Red
>pick Magnemite and start in Vermillion because that makes the most sense
>pop east for a Hypno and then go north to fuck Misty up
>current plan is to get a bike and travel to Fuchsia to defeat Koga and grab a Nidoran from the Safari Zone
/blog
>>
>>56028867
Did any of the Japanese romhacks come to English yet?
>>
>>56029300
bro's been playing a lot of Rivals of Aether, LOL
>>
>>56058679
What am i looking at
>>
>>56064098
Puget Sound, Washington. He's asking if that'd be a good location to base a region off of.
>>
>>56058679
could lean into things like it being where the government takes apart old water vehicles
>>
>>56064150
Or the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area. I mean, Unova is based off the New York Metropolitan Area + New Jersey, so why not?
>>
File: file.png (63 KB, 1018x639)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>
>>56031374
Mesen needs to add RTC support to the Gameboy Advanced.
Cinerous town has some scuffed palette shit going on
Violet's house reports you to be in Umber town, not Cinerous town.
I was unable to name my starter at the beginning.
I cannot believe you shortened Disarming. I cannot believe I can't come up with a better shortening!
Shuckle Spring. First encounter was not a shuckle.
Dazed was a cool idea but it gets VERY annoying VERY quickly. Lower the chances of being unable to use the right command, or at least give everyone a fucking break on attempt #3. (Apparently, it doesn't do this at all. Drop the word "may" from "may not respond." Make it "will not respond.")
Any of the waterfall water lakes should PROBABLY be animated, considering, y'know, there's flowing water there.
Tapping B to run should toggle. Holding B should be the way it is in the games.
The catching Pokemon gains EXP mechanic tweak is also appreciated.
To the kid: Either Popplio or Ninetales. Hopefully I'd become a natural performer if the former...
Deeply disappointed by the lack of "oops, wrong side!"
Smaze really should be renamed to just "smog."
Man I really need better indicators on how much I should train my Pokemon.
Also fucking christ, that mystery guy killed me and my motivation to continue. I'll grind later. I'm a complete retard. My usual strategy was "grind 10 levels each gym" but I ignored that in the name of expedient and less autistic testing. To say I'm pissed at myself for ignoring literally a decade of my own god damn wisdom is the understatement of the night.
Overall, enjoyable so far. Just hate myself a bit too much and should stop putting my self worth in the videogames I play.
Sry, vid 2 big.

>>56064586
Puget Sound is geographical, that's why I'm saying it's Puget Sound and not the Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area.
Frankly, if you knew what was good for ya, you would NOT base any region around Seattle. Make something totally new in its place.
t. Former Washingtonian.
>>
>>56063782
That's the first I've ever seen a softlock after a move hit. I haven't touched anything in the battle engine lately either.
>>
>>56064737
>Smaze really should be renamed to just "smog."
There's already a move named Smog.
It's shit so I don't blame you for forgetting about it.
>>
If you're making a Washington region and not making it as ridiculous as Twin Peaks, you're wasting a concept.
>>
File: 1708044804919020.png (70 KB, 715x490)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
I really like Birdhouse's design. It's peak Yokai.
>>
>>56064737
>Dazed
Do tell what specifically this is
>>
File: 1715414165134797.png (73 KB, 715x477)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
ACK
>>
>>56059260
I watched both trailers and fail to see what's funny about it
>>
>>56065892
New status condition. Works like the Battle Palace.
>>
>>56028867
What was the name of that GSC style game where you could create you own own and island again ? I can't find it anymore
>>
>>56065846
>There's already a move called Smog
Even better: Have it sometimes inflict the "Smaze" weather condition!

>>56065892
It's a status condition that basically makes your Pokemon act solely on its own whenever you hit "battle." I guess the move it picks is based on its personality but I have no clue how any of that works.
>>
>>56066763
Wilds
>>
>>56067120
so basically it's confusion but somehow much more annoying
>>
>>56068000
Well, it can't hurt your Pokemon so there's that going for it.
>>
Here's a bump because I'm going to play more of that Tourmaline later.
>>
I continue to be really shit at a romhack. And Pokemon.
What else is new?
>>
The shiny almost makes up for it.
>>
There is an innuendo to be had here.
By the ways, can I PLEASE get better grinding spots during Resedea? Losing one fight that was intentionally made hard was fine, but there's hardly any ways for a full team to be properly leveled up by the time you hit the grunt :P
>>
File: 1715224043101569.jpg (28 KB, 267x267)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>look up romhack tier lists on Youtube
>Pokemon Clover is consistantly topping the charts with its humor despite being the scary 4channel game with f-slurs, n-slurs, transphobia and antisemitism
>Pokemon Sage is nowhere to be found, I'm not saying it's low ranked I'm saying nobody has even played it
Why is this?
>>
>>56069869
I 'unno, never played it.
>>
>>56069869
Sage hasn't had updates in a bit and what's out is a few gyms of demo.
>>
File: 1717277494083027.png (70 KB, 714x472)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
UM HELLO?
GROUND TYPES???
WHERE ARE THEY???????
>>
Been away for awhile. What rom hacks are worth playing these days that aren't full of self-inserts?
>>
>>56057486
kino...
>>
So how should I go about starting on making a rom hack, I have some ideas for a concept and that's it
>>
>>56071521
you scroll back up to the top where all the resources are, decide what tool is going to work best for you, and start practicing and watching tutorials.
generally decomp is suggested for beginners (look into pokeemerald expansion), but you might prefer RMXP, just be aware the latter isn't actually rom hacking, it's just fan game dev.
>>
File: Tahomap.png (17 KB, 240x160)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>
Alright so I have this pair of ideas for a couple of Ron hacks I want to make. Peak version which takes place in a hoenn where team magma won so there are no water routes. Trench version is the opposite, a nearly flooded hoenn where almost every route is water and the region is a bunch of islands. In Trench the starters are Magnenite, rhyhorn, and spheal. For Peak im not sure but I'm thinking the starters should be Nosepass, makuhita, and taillow
>>
>>56072869
Magnemite is strong against both starters.
>>
>>56072954
It doesn't get flash canon till after it's fully evolved though
>>
>>56073005
It does get Gyro Ball fairly early. Rhyhorn's STABs beat both starters too
>>
>>56073021gyro ball sucks ass for a special attacker, and spheal could still put speed rhyhorn and use a quad effective move

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.