[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2452.jpg (72 KB, 839x528)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
every game without this affecting the entire party is unplayably boring
>>
>>56053341
True
>>
File: bait psa.jpg (144 KB, 1024x765)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>
>>56053350
OP is right tho
>no dude you don’t get it it’s FUN that you need to waste 10 turns killing something with bellsprout to eventually make it usable even though your charmeleon that’s 12 levels higher could have done it in 1 turn
>>
>>56053341
Nope.
Autist game made by autists for autists.
Casuals/normies leave. You don’t actually care about playing these games and it shows.
>>
>>56053397
>casuals
on average the games with the exp share are harder than the ones without it
the true casuals are the DS fanboys who have an incredibly poor understanding of the game’s mechanics
>>
File: 1710018496163.png (258 KB, 487x273)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>56053418
>>
>>56053341
Clover already solved this issue. All you need are soft level caps before each gym and exp share becomes balanced.
>>
>>56053433
Sagefag, you didn’t even know Platinum’s trainers have no EVs. You already outed yourself as a casual. The only people who don’t like exp share are people who are terrible at the games like you.
>>
>>56053341
old exp share is honestly just as broken ingame, and I will always prefer it over party wide key item exp share
>>
>>56053341
Atleast give the player the option to turn it off and on like in gen 6 and 7. I don't understand Gamefreaks obsession with taking away features. Just like how they took away shift/set in SV
>>
File: psy_helmet.jpg (56 KB, 883x766)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
What's wrong with the Psy Helmet? You need it to go to the brain scorcher.
>>
>>56053418
You have a mental breakdown when a route has a bit of fog and you always run away when asked to post your ball rank.
>>
>>56053470
There’s no reason to turn it off, just like there’s no reason to ever use the withdraw/deposit options in the PC and no reason to ever toss items when there’s infinite bag space.
>>
>>56053490
>There's no reason to turn it off because uh....[unrelated things]
Every time.
>>
>>56053501
>There's a reason to turn it off because uh....[unrelated things]
Every time.
>>
File: you.png (218 KB, 335x538)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>56053341
your brain's too rotted reatrd.
>>
>>56053363
Why would I want the exp share then?
>no dude you don’t get it it’s FUN mashing through many text boxes of bellsprout leveling even though your charmeleon that’s 12 levels higher finishes everything in 1 turn
>>
>>56053458
The only people who like exp share are the ones who want everything handed to them in city one and play like retards on purpose with newer games.
>>56053509
>There's a reason to turn it off because people want to turn it off.
There, I solved your little crisis.
>>
>>56054267
> The only people who like exp share are the ones who want everything handed to them in city one
Nope.

>There, I solved your little crisis
“I want to turn it off” isn’t reason. The fact that you’re having this much trouble giving a straight answer for why it should be turned off is proving my point.
>>
>>56054297
The reason is simple. People want more agency in how they WANT to play. If a player wants to turn off exp share then the option should be available. Just like shift/set and difficulty options.
Why Gamefreak took away shift/set and why they haven't added an easy difficult setting is absolutely bonkers.

In-game reasons are also abundant. Exp share makes it harder to neatly round up your pokemons level. If you want your pokemon to each be around a couple levels of eachother than it means you have to box some.
Just give the player the option like damn
>>
>>56054557
>all this text
>still no reason for why it ever needs to be turned off

>Just like shift/set and difficulty options.
Literally no one complained when they removed shift mode in PLA. The issue isn’t “muh opshuns”, the issue is game balance.

>If you want your pokemon to each be around a couple levels of eachother
Curved exp already guarantees everything in your party will converge to the same level.
>>
>>56054592
Because players want it off, that's the only reason you need. Same with shift/set also the option is off for SV too.
You're giving no reason why the player shouldn't have these options
>>
>>56054706
>Because players want it off
No, what you actually want is for the game to be hard. Which adding a shitty toggle doesn’t accomplish.
>>
>>56054728
No, what we actually want is to turn the exp share off for whatever reason
>>
>>56054759
>I WANT IT OFF BECAUSE…UM…I WANT IT OFF!!!
Glad we agree there’s no reason it should be off.
>>
>>56053341
I do agree. I like the freedom to easily raise a whole team rather than just overleveling my starter or grinding or doing the stupid "throw a pokemon out and then switch to the one that actually does damage". Honestly I don't know how I played the old games
It probably should be allowed to be turned off though
>>
>>56053525
>thinks classic grinding doesn't involve mashing A way more
Holy shit anon play a pokemon game before posting in a thread like this
>>
>>56054764
The reason to turn it off is people want it. If people want a feature, that's a good enough reason to include it in your game. Challenge runs, ease of leveling new Pokemon, speeding up battle text; it doesn't matter why. People want it, so it should be added.
>>
>>56053397
THIS
>>
>>56053418
you don't get it, it's not about difficulty. it's about autism. I WANT to grind.
>>
they should add level scaling or introduce level locks. i was immediately disappointed in s/s and s/v with how quickly and easily you could overlevel
>>
>>56055019
>The reason to turn it off is people want it
That isn’t a reason. Flooding your game with shitty features just because someone wants it is poor game design. Sometimes players don’t even know what they actually want.
>>
>>56055040
All they had to do was make it so that an opponent that is a lower level than you does not yield any xp
>>
>>56053341
1-5 are oldgen, 6+ are nugen.

oldgen bad, nugen good.

glad we're all on the same page.
>>
>>56055069
nope its the other way round you gay CUNT! go stick your head into a fucking blender
>>
exp share makes the games boring
>>
>>56055056
But what if you get hit with an unexpected rival or story event fight before you can switch your high-leveled team to something else?
>>
>>56055069
5 is nugen
>>
>>56053341
Biggest non-issue ever.

>>56053418
Also no. I turned it off whenever I could and these games were still easier
>>
>>56055957
>and these games were still easier
Try actually replaying the older games instead of going off your memory of them from when you were 5.
>>
>>56053341
you can just collect multiple exp shares and give them to multiple Pokemon
>>
>>56055962
I got two runs in RBY, 3 runs in GSC, 1 run in Emerald, 4 runs in DPPt, 2 runs in HGSS, 2 runs in BW, 3 runs in BW2 and only 1 run for XY all the way to SwSh.
How many times am I supposed to replay before satisfying your autism?
>>
>>56055991
>How many times am I supposed to replay before satisfying your autism?
Once, as an adult.
>>
>>56056039
If you count the runs it should be obvious those couldn't be all as a kid.
>>
>>56053341
How many times do you need to be told that the series isn't balanced for it? We tell you this after every new game after our pokemon snowball out of control from simply catching pokemon.
>>
>>56056422
it isn’t balanced without it either
>>
>>56056429
Only because the older games were so easy. Why do you think japanese children struggled with DP so much? Fantina, Bertha, Lucian, and Cynthia feasted on overleveled starter teams.

You fix exp by encouraging the player to train multiple pokemon earlier in the game. Doubles were on the right track, but the battles were too easy. This is why people love XD so much. The entire game consists of double battles, but unlike the cart games the double battles get harder and force you to train more pokemon.
>>
>>56056453
> Why do you think japanese children struggled with DP so much?
Because they’re children. I guarantee you there were also children who struggled with gen 7+.

> You fix exp by encouraging the player to train multiple pokemon earlier in the game
Which exp share does.

> but unlike the cart games the double battles get harder and force you to train more pokemon
What? No it doesn’t. I beat GoD by just sweeping everything with Houndoom and Claydol while barely touching anything else. The GC spin offs are just as braindead as the mainline games.
>>
>>56053509
parroting is an admission of defeat
>>
>>56056453
nta but I think "you don't fix what's not broken" applies. The only good change to how EXP works was BW/BW2 because it helps keeping up with newly caught mons while making it slower to overlevel.
>>
>>56056469
exp curve in gen 5 doesn’t work that well and if anything all it does is make it ridiculously easy to overlevel multiple pokemon since they catch up way faster.
>>
>>56056475
> ridiculously easy to overlevel multiple pokemon
Not really because the moment they are a level above opponents your EXP gain will be cut.
Also the goal is supposed to be encouraging the use of more mons and that's being achieved here. Game is easy either way
>>
>>56056482
> Not really because the moment they are a level above opponents your EXP gain will be cut
It doesn’t get reduced enough to be that punishing.

>Also the goal is supposed to be encouraging the use of more mons
Gen 6+ Exp Share accomplishes that better than anything else.
>>
>>56056492
having a pokemon sit in your party getting exp from doing nothing doesn’t count as using it
>>
>>56056495
Having a Pokemon sit in my party gaining no exp doesn’t count as using it either. What’s your point?
>>
>>56056492
>Gen 6+ Exp Share accomplishes that better than anything else.
No that just breaks it completely.
Should have tweaked the Gen 5 formula instead until it ensures you can get a balanced team, no need for EXP share if your weaker mons can abuse switches to farm EXP and your stronger mons cannot gain as much.
>>
>>56056498
so we agree that you need to actively use pokemon to count as using it, something that party-wide exp share discourages
>>
>>56056499
>No that just breaks it completely
You can’t break something that was already broken.
>>
>>56056502
>have party wide exp share
>catch low level shitmon
>don’t use it for a while
>eventually the shitmon is high leveled enough to pull its weight
>start using shitmon because it’s not a shitmon anymore and can do some things better than the rest of my team

>don’t have party wide exp share
>catch low level shitmon
>never becomes worth using because it never gains exp because I have no reason to not just use my higher leveled pokemon in battles instead
>end up never using shitmon
>>
>>56056503
?
it was never broken. You seriously overestimate how much EXP you actually need to deal with in-game trainers. You realize you don't even need to be at thier lowest level to win easily right.
>>
>>56056509
>>have party wide exp share
>>catch low level shitmon
>>don’t use it for a while
so we agree that party-wide exp. share doesn’t encourage you to use more pokemon
>>
>>56056514
> it was never broken
Every single time I play gen 5 I end up ridiculously overleveled. So it clearly was.
>>
>>56056515
>ignores the rest of the post because it destroys his narrative
Concession accepted.
>>
>>56056516
that’s because you grind yawnie
>>
>>56056519
>”Concession accepted.”
Concession accepted.
>>
>>56055054
>Flooding your game with shitty features just because someone wants it is poor game design.
It's not 2010 anymore. Minimalism is out. Player accessibility is in. It's now "poor game design" to have few options, and "good game design" to have many.
>>
File: Exp candy.png (75 KB, 376x203)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>56053341
I think that a good happy medium between exp for all and exp for one are these things
>Player agency is retained, you can choose to use these on your pokemon or sell them
>Cuts through grinding slog if you have EXP hungry pokemon and/or underleveled pokemon you want to use
>Are earned naturally throughout your journey so you don't have to deviate from your flow too much to obtain them
>Are less effective the higher level your pokemon are, so cheesing through sheer numbers in the mid and late game isn't as feasible
>>
yawngem? This low?
Uppy!
>>
>>56056596
This, the Xenoblade titles did something similar after complaints about sidequests dumping too much EXP on you. This is also great for not having to grind up Pokemon in postgame. For all the QoL they have for making competitive Pokemon now, they still don't hand out candy enough to eliminate just plain old grinding. Gen 9 reducing Hyper Training to 50 is nice and all but that's only part of the problem.
>>
yawnbump<—X2
>>
>>56056596
I’d rather they just balance the game

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.