[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>some people didnt even know what you had to do in this puzzle.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
You are a genuine retard if you can't beat him without the pause trick. The pattern is the same every fucking time, it doesn't change
>>
>>10858912
it's simple but it's also really slow so there's no reason to not use the pause trick like there is for say not using the holy water trick in castlevania
>>
>>10858915
>the holy water trick in castlevania
This is not the same though. Not only do you have to actually get there with the holy water, it's also not a glitch unlike the pause trick. The holy water in CV1 is not cheating in my opinion
>>
>>10858912
>>10858915
never played this one,which megaman is it ?
and what is the pause trick.
>>
>>10859021
Mega Man 1. Shoot him with lightning and spam the pause button. It will hit every time you unpause.
>>
>>10858912
The only difficult part of the fight is dealing with the hitboxes.
>>
>>10858902
It's a pretty simple to understand, but annoying puzzle nonetheless. If someone doesn't get it, they're retarded, I agree. But that doesn't make it any less annoying.
>>
File: 1713303431355146.jpg (94 KB, 780x438)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
I understand why people didn't understand what to do here. And I believe doing this would have helped.
>>
>>10858902
RE3 is the best for its puzzles
>>
File: 1710612248166435.png (507 KB, 1070x601)
507 KB
507 KB PNG
>progressing smoothly through game
>suddenly musical puzzle that requires perfect pitch
>randomly generated so you can't just look up the solution on gamefaqs
>>
>>10859768
Name 10 games that do this
>>
>>10859768
You mean "relative pitch."
>>
>>10859768
It doesn't require "perfect pitch".
You can VISUALIZE the solution on the music box downstairs and reproduce it in the bell tower upstairs. So what if there are two solutions, one correct and one wrong, just try both.

Plus, even if you were to try all solutions, it wouldn't even take that long as long as you're logical about it.

I swear people just give up before even trying, before even trying to understand what it is they're being asked
>>
>>10859774
Absolute Pitch
>>
>>10859790
>dude I can see colors!
i thought these larpers disappeared from the internet back in 2006 after they forgot about the episode
>>
Hmmmm to contribute.

Kotor I on Korriban. Energy field puzzle. You have to basicallh move blocks (energy fields) from one end to another; just requires for the most part moving the third to he second and then the first over. Watched my friends get stumped by it; passed it to me and beat in like two minutes.
>>
>>10859790
I played this game for the first time last year and I don't even remember there being a music box puzzle, which must mean it was not as complicated or frustrating as the other anon claims
>>
File: barrel.png (19 KB, 320x224)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>
>>
>>10859021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_oj_9udEEk
>>
>>10860456
Only time I was softlocked in an RE game.
>>
>>10858902
I believe that any puzzle, no matter the difficulty, is merely a function of time and luck. There is no skill to implementing the solution of a puzzle, it only comes down to how long it takes to realize what that solution is. It might be instantaneous for you, at which point you'll decide that it's easy, and if it takes you longer than average, you'll decide that the puzzle was stupid, misleading, or too difficult. But no matter how easy the puzzle is in terms of average-person performance, there will ALWAYS be some portion of the population that fails to figure out what the puzzle is asking for (if they even perceive its presence). So, any puzzle, no matter how easy, will filter someone.
>>
>>10860878
As a somewhat related aside, I'll compare three examples from Silent Hill. There's a puzzle early on involving a piano. To me, the multiple sets of related clues and the way its set up made me understand immediately what it was asking me to do, and I solved it right away and moved on. Later I learned that a large number of people got absolutely filtered here, and I've watched Let's Plays of the game and seen people have not the slightest idea how to approach it, which I couldn't relate to at all, and I still don't understand how so many people fail to figure this out.

There's a puzzle late in the game involving a keypad full of letters, and the player has to spell a word. To me, this puzzle is very vague in what it is asking for, but there are some reasonable solutions one can attempt, and I solved it via one of these guesses, though it didn't feel clean. Every person I've seen solve this made some guesses as well. Despite the open-ended nature of the puzzle (you just push buttons with no idea how long the answer can be or feedback if you enter a wrong one), I've never seen anyone get filtered here. Even so, I consider it to be a badly designed puzzle, and I don't understand how people are NOT filtered here.

There's also a Zodiac puzzle late in the game. Despite the name, the solution has NOTHING to do with the Zodiac, but I didn't ever make the jump to reconsidering that base assumption. I gave up after 20 or so minutes of trying to figure out the associations and had to consult a walkthrough, something I virtually never do in games. I can cope and say I was misled, but I still have to live with the fact that I got filtered by this puzzle. Surprisingly, while I see this puzzle stall most players, they usually all figure it out much faster than the piano puzzle.

I think it's down to luck, much more than people acknowledge, whether you happen to come across the right train of thought in a timely manner.
>>
>>10860894
> and I still don't understand how so many people fail to figure this out.

The problem is that people are like

>waaaat a MUSIC puzzle involving a PIANO ?!
>but I know nothing about music theory!!!

and then stop right there without trying. Of course the puzzle doesn't actually require you to know anything about music or piano. Devs had learnt the lesson since J.E.S.U.S.
>>
>>10860905
I guess it makes sense some people would think that, and music theory is certainly intimidating (even as someone with musical experience). I've seen at least 3 Let's Plays of Silent Hill, and none of them attempted to solve the puzzle in that frame or immediately gave up, so may sample set is only 4 (them and me).
One person saw the piano and had that exact initial fear, but after poking around at the clues and piano for a few seconds realized that the solution was of course not going to be related to music theory.
>>
>>10860894
The zodiac and keypad puzzles are fine. What I hate about the piano puzzle is that the wording of the poem means there's multiple theoretically correct answers, yet only one is valid.
>>
>>10861861
I only remember there being one obvious solution, but I might not have seen the other interpretation(s). But that was my exact issue with the keypad puzzle, that it seems like there are multiple possible answers. If they did that with two puzzles, that's extra bad, though.
>>
File: 1508546499700.jpg (124 KB, 660x514)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>10858902
>>
File: if only.gif (3.97 MB, 600x450)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB GIF
>>10860426
>>
>>10859792
Illiterate hylic.
>>
The existence of multiple versions (remakes, ports, etc.) of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games. "What version should I play what version should I play what version should I play" over and over and eventually the person just dies of thirst
>>
>>10864851
I played the wrong version of an FF game and wish I had known otherwise
>>
File: megaman3hitbox.webm (1.98 MB, 1920x1080)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB WEBM
>>10859089
That's not Mega Man 3
>>
>>10859790
He was exaggerating for comedic effect sperglord
>>
>>10865532
If you say that was the NES version I'll fucking burn your home, kill your family, and turn you into a dog
>>
I won't lie, nothing makes me lose my shit like progression being gated behind a minigame or puzzle that has nothing to do with the rest of the game.
>>
>>10867384
it was the nes version
>>
>>10860894
>the zodiac puzzle
Lel
I remember doing it right away but felt kind of lame because the answer was to obvious, the coins in SH2 in the other hand had me checking a walkthrough after spending all fucking night wondering wtf the poem was trying to say.
>>
>>10867384
Into a dog? Let's not get hasty. No, it was the GBA version. I thought it would have some bug fixes but be basically the same game, but as you surely know, it actually changes the underlying systems significantly. On the other hand, I haven't played the original yet, so it's totally possible that I wouldn't like that one either.
>>10867649
Yeah that was what I was trying to highlight with the idea of filtering people: a puzzle can be solved immediately if you happen to consider the right possibility, and no matter how simple that solution is, if it doesn't occur to you you'll be stuck indefinitely.
I have a vague memory of the coin puzzle being too unclear on the Hard difficulty, but I didn't get stuck, possibly because I've always enjoyed those types of puzzles. It's similar to the piano puzzle, actually.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.