[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Donkey_Kong_64.png (473 KB, 500x344)
473 KB
473 KB PNG
Why all the hate?
>>
>>10859078
Because it's a collectathon that isn't fun
>>
>>10859078
autistic completionists can't handle the tag barrel and colored collectables.
>>
>>10859078
He has no style. He has no grace.
>>
>>10859078
People got filtered by Donkino 64
>>
Youtubers and clickbait articles with history revisionism, check the previous threads.
>>
>>10859078
I'll be completely honest, I can't stand people who have some kind of perpetual existential crisis about time in relation to games, like they bitch about games not respecting their time or whatever. That said, playing this game feels like you're chipping away at a fucking mountain, just an insurmountable obstacle. It definitely seems tailored for the "child in the '90s" mindset of plugging away at something for months and still having fun from the mere act of moving around and going places.
>>
File: 1698467806732710.webm (344 KB, 396x640)
344 KB
344 KB WEBM
>>10859235
super mario 64 > donkey kong 64
>>
>>10859272
I haven't played this game since before the gamecube was released but I feel like this game should take between 10-20 hours to beat? Doesn't seem unreasonable at all
>>
>>10859078
People say it’s got too many collectibles. When you’re a broke kid and just enjoyed games as games and not some 100% completionist backlog neet it’s very enjoyable. One of the best bangs for your buck. Mario Kart, DK64, OOT and MM and you’re basically good until GameCube dropped with Metroid Prime.
>>
>>10859272
>why the hate?
>perpetual existential crisis
get over yourself
>>
>>10859152
keep coping with your conspiracy theory
>>
>>10859653
What conspiracy theory?
>>
File: ho307.gif (193 KB, 250x257)
193 KB
193 KB GIF
>>10859078
https://suno.com/song/80fe12b3-d865-4cc6-9766-a37ad9a7bb14
>>
>>10859084
This. 200 Golden Bananas and you're only required to get 75 or so to complete the game. If anything they were too lenient, you can just front-load bananas on the early levels and skip the later ones almost entirely.

fuck the beetle races
>>
>>10860092
Beaver Bother is a pain in the ass too.
>>
>>10859078
It's impossible to play DK64 and still think collectathons are a good idea.
>>
>>10859272
>It definitely seems tailored for the "child in the '90s" mindset of plugging away at something for months and still having fun from the mere act of moving around and going places.

Spot on. If I search my memory I find that I thought the minigames were fun, the boss fights were challenging and diverse, unlocking new moves and upgrades was cool, and most importantly, collecting everything actually felt like an achievement. HOWEVER, I just cant go back to DK64. Whenever I pick it up to play again I dont go further than the Aztec level. DK64 is a game you only like once. It literally took years for preteen/teen me to finally 101% the game. The last golden bananas that gave me trouble and almost filtered me were the bugged mechanical fish puzzle in Gloomy Galeon, and the last Beaver Bother minigame.

That being said, I think the multiplayer mode of DK64 is severely underrated. I had a lot of fun with it, feels like a proto CBFD multiplayer.
>>
Reminder there is a tag anywhere patch and it's a literal game changer
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4961/
>>
>>10859272
>games not respecting their time or whatever
yeah, its called grinding aka artificial difficulty made to LITERALLY ONLY waste your fucking time. do you ever wonder why theyre called "video GAMES"? because theyre fucking games, made to be played for fun. if a video game is locking content behind grinding, its not a game, its a scam.
>>
>>10860985
games are not necessarily made to be fun
>>10859272
>>10859484
>uuuhhh you need to not treat it as a core experience in order for it to be good
then it isn't good
>>
>>10859078
I have literally only seen it (And Banjo-Kazooie) get hate from people upset that PS1 platformers don't get more attention.
>>
>>10859084
This, as >>10860092 notes you only need a fraction of all the collectibles, the banana medals only need 75% of one Kong's bananas collected as well, and you only need 15 of those out of a possible 40. The game is filled to the brim with shit to get so that you DON'T have to stress over going out of your way to grab every single little thing. Because you just didn't do that back then. SM64 has 120 stars, the game was made with the player only ever getting 70 in mind.

But today, not only do you have absolute retards feeling like they have a gun to their head forcing them to get EVERY single little collectible and that if you didn't get 100% you didn't beat the game, you have those same idiots feeling like every second spent playing a game is misery for some reason. So simply enjoying oneself exploring various worlds as different Kongs on their own run-throughs is no longer an option, now people are spazzing out and trying to run back to the tag barrel when they see a single off-colored banana and then run back again when they see the next. That's who the tag everywhere mod is really made for.
>>
Rareware didn't make good games, that's why
>>
>>10859085
I have no Grace, why doesn't she love me guys?
>>
File: beforeafter.jpg (126 KB, 884x358)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>10859078
the big step down
>>
>>10862393
Sovl SOULLESS
>>
>>10859078
The point of a collectathon is the challenge involved with collecting all the gubbins. DK64 has no challenge for most of the game, you just run in a straight line with no complexity to collect the nanners. The length of the game comes from the tedium of backtracking and redundancy purely to pad out the game. You realise that you're collecting things not because it's fun to do, but because you have to do it.
>>
there's already a thread

>>10847360
>>
>>10862457
I don't understand the appeal of any collectathons, but this sounds even worse than most.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.