[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7671.jpg (183 KB, 1024x1024)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
What do you think of ff mystic quest?
>>
Never finished it but got past the ice level. Good music everything else is mediocre
>>
>>10859304
The graphics are solid too
>>
>>10859314
I don't dig the first person perspective. Its just okay not too great at least in my opinion
>>
I used to put on the Dark King theme and cry for hours at how beautiful it was
>>
File: ffmq-equip.jpg (134 KB, 1116x944)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Not a bad game given what it's intended to be: a simplified RPG distilled to its bare essentials with maybe slightly more puzzly dungeon crawling than is typical for Final Fantasy.
If your expectations are high you'll be disappointed but it's good for what it is.
Also if you don't like the music your taste is utter shit.
>>
i played it when i was like 6 and loved it but i havent played it for like 25 years
>>
>>10859314
I never liked the monsters, they're kinda crude-looking, and the top-down views look pretty basic - I think it's just so-so graphically
>>
>>10859532

I agree with this. I played it as a kid after having played a couple of other Final Fantasy games already and so this one was a step back and a disappointment... but it was still perfectly playable and I did like it enough to finish it (on a rental). I guess it would have been pretty good for whatever audience was just right for it at the time (little kids who had never played JRPGs before?), but I have no idea how many people like that actually would have come across it. Dragon Warrior did that job for me, and I imagine (not that I would know very well) that Pokémon took over the bulk of it soon after Mystic Quest came out.

It's a bit difficult to imagine a player who could love a JRPG but couldn't handle "FFII" for SNES. That game is quite easy. But it's not as easy as Mystic Quest, so I'm sure that person exists.
>>
>>10859547
Don't you like Flamerus Rex? I've always thought he looked cool.
>>
>>10859320
It's overhead. It was meant to be babby's first rpg. Game was ok, mostly music was good and the field "puzzles" of doing stuff like chopping trees, the ice dungeon puzzles etc novel.
>>
>>10859295
*SaGa
>>
>>10859621
That was Final Fantasy Legend, this is more like Final Fantasy Adventure 2
>>
File: 1702246029476088.png (14 KB, 418x359)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>10859656
>you can play FFA on your super nintendo now
>>
>>10859295
I played it once when I was young and enjoyed it. Haven't been able to enjoy it ever since. I get really bored very quickly every time I try.
>>
>>10859532
Super Mario RPG was a much better beginners RPG to get non-RPG fans to understand the appeal.

Then ironically everyone just stuck with that game and never explored RPGs beyond it.
>>
>>10859295
glad I rented it. imagine paying the squaresoft premium price of $69.99 for that short ass pos
>>
>>10859304
>Good music everything else is mediocre
well yeah, it's a jrpg after all
>>
File: Phoebe sd.jpg (57 KB, 237x281)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
I like it
>>
>>10859806
Chrono Trigger was better than smrpg for that goal.
But, I'm not taking about the marketing purpose I'm talking about the game they decided to make. For better or worse, they aimed to make a simplified RPG and that's what ffmq is. It also came out like 3-4 years before those other games, which was a technological eternity in the early 90s.
>>
>>10859552
When MQ came out there were very few rpgs on the snes. It wasn't better than ff4 but if you had already played that 10 times it was something different.
>>
shouldn't it be called "mystical quest"?
>>
File: 1684451723307412.jpg (78 KB, 1200x800)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
And it's called Final Fantasy despite the fact that there's been 16 of them and dozens of spinoffs?
>>
>>10860076
No
>>
its for kids.. like 5 and 6 who barely can read.. seriously.
>>
File: FFMystic3.png (5 KB, 168x166)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>10859547
>I never liked the monsters, they're kinda crude-looking
I thought it was pretty amusing how the monsters changed appearance mid-battle as you weakened them.
>>
File: Kaeli_(Rend).png (193 KB, 622x744)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
It's simple fun. Awesome battle music.
>>
>>10861221
Does any other JRPG do this?
>>
File: Phoebe.jpg (29 KB, 360x427)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
As the target demo of this game, a 10 year old in 1992, this is one of my favorite games ever. I was into Dragon Warrior 1 and Final Fantasy on nes, Mystic Quest is what made me a jrpg freak.
My only complaint was the finite battles and Phoebe the OG waifu left the team.
>>
>>10859295
decent but I got softlocked and couldn't progress
>>
>>10859295
I think it's pretty fun through the mid-part of the ice stage, then the repetitiveness of the game really starts to shine in a bad way. Music is great though and I liked the final dungeon. MQ has it's issues, but it's worth at least one shot IMO. Glad it's nowhere near as hated as it used to be back in the early 2000s. It was nuts.
>>
>>10861679
>and Phoebe the OG waifu left the team.
She comes back though. She's the one you end the game with.
>>
>>10860076
Magical Adventure
>>
>>10862119
Supernatural Expedition
>>
>>10862146
Jewish Odyssey
>>
>Phoebe can be seen in the screenshots on the back of the North American game box, named "Tea". She is level 41, which allies cannot achieve due to having fixed levels, and is wielding a Morning Star in all screenshots, including one inside the Giant Tree. Whether this was simply a beta character used for testing and/or easy promotional-screenshot images, or whether she had a different name and role in the game at some point during development, is unclear.
>
>Artwork for the European version shows Phoebe with a shield as she wields her Cat Claw. This is interesting as, even if this shield isn't the Ether Shield, Phoebe doesn't use a shield until she rejoins Benjamin, equipped with the Ether Shield, at the end of the game, long after she's given the Cat Claw to Benjamin and switched to the Bow of Grace.
>
>It's never stated where or when Phoebe acquired the Ether Shield in the first place. This, when combined with her dedication to helping Spencer dig before rejoining Benjamin, implies she may have found it at a point in Spencer's Place that Benjamin could not reach at the time.
>>
>>10859295
Cool but tedious.
>>
>>10859295
I don’t think about it
>>
File: ganbare.png (1.03 MB, 850x850)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>10862232
>>
>>10859806
>Then ironically everyone just stuck with that game and never explored RPGs beyond it.
that’s kind of a pattern with people who buy consoles made by that company
>>
>>10859870
Take off your clothes Phoebe.
>>
>>10862239
Lisa Kudrow is wealthy enough that she could easily have you killed and get away with it
>>
>>10859853
Music is extra good
>>
>>10859295
I think it's the most ironic game ever made and a testament to Japanese bizarre racism and nonsensical air of superiority. They look at RPGs, a western genre and make a few "JRPGs" which are basically super simplified RPG games that focus more on graphics and an easy story than gameplay. Then they decide to make "Final Fantasy USA" assuming that western gamers could never handle the brutal difficulty of their kiddie versions of the real games. It flops, and they don't understand why.
>>
>>10863570
The whole reason they made it is because all the console JRPGs so far were not selling nearly as well in the US as they were in Japan.
>>
>>10863519
I don't know who that is, or why you're bringing her up.
>>
>>10863673
You're a child.
>>
>>10863769
You're just saying words now.
And that's as stupid as the fact you brought up a random persons name who I didn't know.
>>
>>10863617
Yeah, but for the wrong reason. They should have given us FF2.
>>
>>10863776
His point is that the person mentioned was extremely famous in the 90's and on one of the most popular TV shows ever at the time and was recognized world over. You not knowing her name means you are very young.
>>
>>10863776
You're a child and you're a lazy twat who's too stupid too use google. All the information in the world is at your fingertips and yet you still can't figure out how to search a name.
>>
>>10863852
The children of today are unironically against learning. If they don't know something already they assume whatever it is is either of no importance or wrong anyway so they just go with feelings.
>>
>>10863926
>>10863852
>>10863801
>>10863776
>>10863769
>>10863673
im not any of you fags and im pretty old and i dont know who that is. I looked it up the stupid one on some jewish network tripe (friends, seriously who the fuck watched that garbage?). actually caring about celebs is fucking cringe lmao. looking down on buddy cause hes not an idolatrous faggot like you top kek
>>
>>10863989
Not any of them, my favorite was always kaeli, but it was a lame joke and a tiny bit of banter. You have now out-cringed all of them getting so upset about it.
>>
>>10863673
feels like a bot snag that just randomly detected a name and went and took a massive shit in the thread.
>>
What a soundtrack:
https://youtu.be/0UntJvpjABg?si=NmDic1oMLGYCTClW
>>
>>10863801
>>10863852
>>10863926
Lmao shut the fuck up.
I'm 37, and I didn't watch the ABJECT GARBAGE that you watched.
>>10863989
Was it really Friends?
Yeah, fuck that show.
Seinfeld-by-committee shit slurry.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (156 KB, 1280x720)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>10864219
>now guys, this is a game for the dumb gaijins who can't understand the deep complexity of an RPG, you don't have to try too hard on the soundtrack
>the soundtrack:
>>
>>10864243
They didn't try too hard on the soundtrack is the thing.
The entire soundtrack is kinda just lifted from Rudra no Hihou and edited a bit to sound a little different.

Sadly, I will have withdraw your compliment of Mystic Quest for this reason.
>>
>>10859320
>I don't dig the first person perspective.
Mystic Quest != Dragon Quest
>>
>>10863673
>>10863989
>>10864051
Lisa Kudrow played a character named Phoebe in the hit American television series "Friends." Anon was making a joke using the name "Phoebe" as a sort of pun, as if the first anon might be referring to Lisa Kudrow by the character name of her most well-known role. Hope this helps!
>>
>>10864051
It didn't so much take a massive shit, but rather unearthed the shitheads who will defend *fucking anything*
"Y-YOU DON'T KNOW LISA KUDROW?! HOW DARE YOU"
>>
>>10864219
>>10864243
I don't get it. This is pretty standard SNES RPG music. Even the YouTube comments are losing their shit over how incredible and amazing it is. Why?
>>
>>10864253
No one told me life was gonna be this way
>>
>>10864264
I'll be there for you.
>>
>>10864246
>soundtrack is kinda lifted from Rudra no Hihou
Did the composer time travel?
>>
>>10864272
Rudra took ages to come out.
Mystic Quest did not.
>>
God damn, I come back a day later and my silly throwaway Friends joke has sprouted an entire subthread. This is like when I neglected to clean the plant matter out of the top of my car hood for a few months and then suddenly noticed there were a bunch of seedlings growing there (I transplanted them indoors and they're doing fine by the way)
>>
Oh and by the way if you really want Phoebe (from Friends) to get naked you can play this 1999 classic: https://ifdb.org/viewgame?id=w3oa02owtrpx3a4v
(it's not very good though, according to my faded memory of a desultory masturbation session long past)
>>
>>10864243
Based
>>
>>10862227
Pre-release builds often ended up on the back of boxes.
>>
>>10864259
Some people hear it, others don't. For you, music is nothing more than sound washing over you, there's no conscious observation separate from the feelings it gives you.

But yes if I had time I could take music from ffmq and some generic jrpg not named Final Fantasy or otherwise known for music and explain why the mq is better.
>>
>>10861647
>>10861221
Yes, Shell Monsters Story on Famicom does it. Same devs also did Jubei Quest which also does that. I'm not familiar with the Shell Monsters Story sequels so idk if they do it too.
>>
>>10859295
Hardest RPG on the SNES due to the sheer number of times my party wipes.
Bangin' music.

That's about it.
>>
>>10863989
>>10864234
Yeah so you were 7 when the show which was aimed at 20 somethings started. It's not shocking you don't recognize the name because you were watching cartoons.
>>
>>10865490
yeah but it was still popular when I was in highschool and i still didnt care for it. i really dont care about that kike shit.
>>
>>10864219
i prefer city of fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54Ak1Pu-Vk
>>
>>10865775
There's a difference between not liking something and being ignorant of it.
>>
>>10859295
It was my first rpg, got at kay bee toys for like $20. Couldnt tell you much since i havent played it in atleast 20 years but i seem to remember a dinosaur? Glad i picked it instead of a dnd starter set that i didnt have friends to play with anyway.
>>
>>10865827
good thing i can do both
>>
>>10865879
>proud of ignorance
>>
>>10866304
It actually is kind of impressive to be ignorant of something so pervasive in popular culture in this era of information overload. You have to try to be ignorant of things like that.
>>
File: Imprinted_onto_my_youth.jpg (3.33 MB, 4032x3024)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>10859295
It was released too soon after II, which was my 2nd SNES game I got, so I was unable to afford it. Back then I used to get mailed a newsletter from Squaresoft called "Ogopogo Examiner" and I recall them calling it a beginner's RPG which should ease USA audiences to the Final Fantasy series, so since I already played through II, I had convinced myself that it was okay that I skipped it and went on to get the other Squaresoft games.
>>
>>10867542
Do you still have those letters, any of them not just the Mystic Quest one, I'd love to see them. I want to understand what and why Square changed his marketing like this since it took a 180° turn somewhere in 1991
>>
File: In_good_company.jpg (1.93 MB, 2016x1512)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>10867550
I do. I have all of them, but they are inside a green Trapper Keeper inside a box which I am too lazy to get into. However, on doing a search for them, someone scanned them all here:
https://archive.org/details/ogopogo
>>
>>10867602
Interesting, sadly the newsletter start in 1992; but in the 2nd letter you can still see them admitting Mystic Quest was an attempt to gain a new audiance (a younger one; as made obvious by the lines that try to please parents, the ones that would buy the game for such a young audiance).
Absolutely delusional to compare themselves to sports titles and think they could reach that audiance though. At the very end there is still a mention of "challenge" and "experienced players", a lone mention, they probably thought their players would stick to them no matter what.

There are other interesting things like hyping up CD ROM in the first newsletter, as early as spring 92 (and still having full confidence in Nintendo at that point). Or how they explain a glitch in FF4 that can wipe out your save data by "it was Zeromus all along" (I'll have to remember this glitch next time a moron wants to explain FF1 is the exceptionally glitched one; it's just as bad as the sketch glitch in 6)
>>
File: Ffmq_light.png (1.39 MB, 687x1024)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
For as much as people want to say it's the dumbed down game for dumb americans it's still by all metrics competently made. And you know what? I kind of like that's sort of dumbed down, to the point and on the shorter side. I like RPGs a lot as my preferred genre but so many of them are just so long and I don't always have the time or energy to invest in a longer, more complex or emotionally heavy game. Here you just got a simple fun fantasy adventure.
>>
File: FF3.jpg (240 KB, 585x915)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>10867602
>>10867634
Another interesting thing later on. In the third newsletter, they very well intend to release FFV in the US and call it FF3; it's only in the next issue that title changes to "FF Extreme".
What's really interesting is that they seem to express frustration over being tied to the Japanese devs for localization and 100% blame it on them for taking it so long almost implying they don't care enough about it...

.... and then in the very next issue they tell everyone they're starting to publish games made by other devs, Capcom. I almost wonder if this was an intentional "Fuck you" directed to Square of Japan
>>
File: FF3challenge.png (1.2 MB, 957x745)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
....and we're back at praising the games' "challenge" as the first most important point after the flop that Mystic Quest was.
>>
>>10867550
Cloutier sounds like he has maybe played Pac-Man once or twice and that's about it
>>
>>10867665
>created by Hironobu Sakaguchi
how did he do it, all those sprites and music alone would've taken years...
>>
>>10867634
>Or how they explain a glitch in FF4 that can wipe out your save data by "it was Zeromus all along"

Which glitch is that? I just glanced over a couple of wiki pages about FF4 bugs and couldn't easily find any bugs that severe except one that's in the GBA version. For example:
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_bugs_and_glitches#Final_Fantasy_IV
>>
File: ff kurt.jpg (890 KB, 1380x2048)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
>>
File: Zeromusallalong.jpg (441 KB, 1054x750)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>10867705
Going through doors in a dungeon more than 64 times
>>
Mystic Quest is cool. I played it expecting to laugh at it, but it's a good game
Infact nowadays I prefer something like Mystic Quest cause I just don't have the energy for a 40hr RPG
>>
What supposed to be bad about Mystic Quest?

Or, more appropriately, what's supposed to be 'good' about other RPGs that generally makes them better than this game?
>>
>>10867769
>What supposed to be bad about Mystic Quest?
Too many copypasted battles
>what's supposed to be 'good' about other RPGs that generally makes them better than this game?
Big variety of encounters that all require different tactics.
>>
>>10867771
>Big variety of encounters that all require different tactics.

The vast majority have you attack to damage and heal to not die. If they have 'variety', that usually means "switch to this particular attack to attack this enemy more effectively" or "use abilities that give you more turns whenever you can".
>>
>>10867771
Try playing Breath of Fire 1. Despite the more complex system most battles are even more braindead than mystic quest. And unlike mq it feels like it's that way because the devs didn't know any better.
>>
>>10867753
anon it was intended, it's based on an old japanese nursery rhyme
>>
>>10867753

Oh that thing. Yeah I agree with your main point that that's as bad as any bug in FF1. (I don't agree that it's on the level of the sketch bug though, since you have to play at least a little bit weirdly to make it happen.)
>>
>>10867634
>I'll have to remember this glitch next time a moron wants to explain FF1 is the exceptionally glitched one
Any time I see someone whining about how unfair it is that people think associate bugs with FF1, my opinion of them goes way down.

The problem is that FF1 is one of the simplest and players encounter noticeable bugs very quickly. 2 of your first 8 black magic spells are worthless. Intelligence doesn't do anything at all. Weapons with special traits don't inflict their weaknesses properly. These are all things that result in the already-simple game having even fewer meaningful choices. Bals to the wall. And again, these bugs are often encountered very quickly-- not some late game special item. So yes its a very relevant thing to bring up in common conversations about the game, which version is worth playing, and so on.

The 64 door glitch ff4 is not something anyone is going to encounter without at least knowing they're doing something weird. Watch speedrunners do it, 64 is a LOT of stairs to traverse. The Avenger sword is one late-game weapon with a complex special trait (auto-berserk) and bugs only show up when equipping during battle or during a handful of events. Item-duping and lifing enemies are fun glitches that you can easily ignore if you want. Underflowing your mana is a tricky glitch to pull off and only really useful on Tellah. So yeah those bugs aren't going to come up very often in casual conversation about the game.
>>
File: Capture.png (135 KB, 984x1089)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>10868824
The most insidious thing about a lot of FF1's bugs is that they result in broken mechanics you can't even tell are broken in order to learn to avoid them. Once you do know about them, it just makes you realize a large number of playstyles objectively suck ass because of broken mechanics. Overall, it drags down the potential enjoyment of the game severely.
>>
>>10868824
>The problem is that FF1 is one of the simplest and players encounter noticeable bugs very quickly.

The issue isn't that they don't affect play - it's that hardly anybody notices them during play without having been told about them, and that nobody is significantly harmed by them during play under any circumstances; thus they should not be immediately brought up in EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION about the game as some kind of gigantic hazard that absolutely must be avoided and must never be forgotten for even a moment lest the player's life be forever tainted by sin, even though people enjoyed the game just fine when it was new. But yeah it's not hard to argue that they're worse than the FF4 bugs.

The only bug that actually matters very much in an NES or SNES Final Fantasy game is the "FFIII" sketch bug. All the other bugs were part of what made the games popular, and bugfixed versions of the games have never proven themselves in this way - that is, by building an audience for the series from nothing. It's very reasonable to suggest that the fixed versions are superior (though even that isn't trivially guaranteed to be true), but it's not reasonable to claim, in a conversation that wouldn't even exist if the buggy versions weren't good enough to have become highly popular, that the buggy versions are unplayable or obsolete. Whether we like these old, arguably very "aged" games or not, we care about them in part because they are a piece of history. To pretend there's no value in the versions of them that actually made that history is to undermine the very reason to acknowledge their existence in the first place, and is nonsensical.

Somebody wanting a bug-free game can make a new one that's better than any Final Fantasy game, because every JRPG is loaded with other flaws than just bugs. If you like this deeply flawed genre, then your tolerance for flaws must be super high, so you shouldn't mind that LOK2 doesn't work. Unless you're an idiot.
>>
>>10868912

There is only one playstyle: Grind as needed and blunder to the end. It's an easy, severely unbalanced game with or without bugs. The flaw is that it's a JRPG. There cannot be any interesting playstyle in it, unless you just love JRPGs and can find fun doing just about anything in them.
>>
>>10868957
>grow up playing a game
>find out half the things you spent your time doing in that game were broken and you wasted your time
>feel betrayed by the game's brokenness
>never feel the same way about the game again
>don't want other people to stumble around wasting their time in ignorance like you
>feel the need to make people aware of all these problems up front
I think this is the logic that goes into people bringing up FF1 bugs all the time. It hits hard when you realize how much is broken in the game without you ever realizing it over dozens of playthroughs. Then it starts to get amplified by new players passing on all those scorned sentiments from the first set of people and it starts to get blown out of proportion.
>>
Benjamin is cute.
>>
>>10868960
Why take the time to read posts if all you are going to do is respond with no-iq bait?
>>
>>10868957
>The issue isn't that they don't affect play - it's that hardly anybody notices them during play without having been told about them
This is not true.
People may not identify every bug accurately, but it will erode trust in the system. Placebos don't work on everybody. I was there, I know why FF1 was popular, and a big factor was the fact that there weren't any other console RPGs besides Dragon Warrior. It was grindy and monotonous but it scratched an itch. It delivers a basic RPG with resource management and dungeon crawling and turn-based combat. Some of its mechanics are pretty good, if crude and unbalanced (By FF5 and FF6, many underlying RPG mechanics had been streamlined and simplified even if the games were more complex in other ways). But the bugs ARE significant and ARE worth mentioning and it's totally reasonable to play with fixes.
>and that nobody is significantly harmed by them during play under any circumstances
This is just straight up stupid to say. Games should not lie and bank on RNG to disguise the lie. Any player interested in digging deeper into the mechanics is adversely affected. Just because that isn't you doesn't justify your whining and crying.
> they should not be immediately brought up in EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION about the game as some kind of gigantic hazard
And right on cue here comes the crying.
If you are interested in an authentic experience go ahead and play the NES version of FF1. It's not "literally unplayable" to use your zoomer idiom, there's still plenty of fun to be had. But the bugs are fucking there, your bullshit does not excuse them, and neither the 64-door glitch in FF4 or the Sketch bug in FF6 are comparable. (FF6's evade bug, on the other hand...)
>>
>>10868957
>Somebody wanting a bug-free game can make a new one that's better than any Final Fantasy game, because every JRPG is loaded with other flaws than just bugs. If you like this deeply flawed genre, then your tolerance for flaws must be super high, so you shouldn't mind that LOK2 doesn't work. Unless you're an idiot.
Yeah, like I said. Whenever I see someone crying about FF1's association with bugs, I know they are an idiot and so it's no surprise to see a dumbass, barely-coherent sentence like this.
>>
>>10869204
Why do JRPG apologists need to act like accurate assessments of the game are obviously silly? They defend leveling up as "dynamic difficulty", but all that means is that you can make shitty decisions and then compensate for any mistake you made, not by understanding and correcting the mistake, but by just wacking more enemies, and fact that's generally the only thing you can reliably do in these games.
>>
>>10869553
not an apologist you are just an idiot that makes the average jarpigger look like a genius
>>
>>10869561
JRPGs mostly barely have 'playstyles' though anyway. It doesn't matter if you use close vs/long range weapons vs/magic etc. you just want to do more damage, act faster, tank more hits and heal more easily, and you do this in basically the same way regardless of how you allocate your stats/abilities because you are never not just standing in a row and selecting ACTION and will always beat the game like this.

Status effects and the like are possible, but are pretty much always a tossup and shit it's usually not meaningful to 'spec into'.
>>
>>10859295
It was my introduction to FF, so worked as intended.
>>
>>10859621
Did this game start out as a SaGa title? There are a lot of little similar bits, like the identical chests, overhead view, limited item uses and similar sounding music.
>>
>>10866304
Friends was a godawful shit show, why should anyone feel shame for having ignored it?
>>
>>10859806
>Then ironically everyone just stuck with that game and never explored RPGs beyond it.
you're thinking of pokemon
>>
>>10867657
Did they mention if FF Extreme was planned for snes? I remember hearing it was going to come out on PC.
>>
>>10867746
>1991 Disney
Wtf is this real or AI mischief?
>>
>>10869638
Real but never materialized. There's a decent bit of info on it here
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1652094217580322816
>>
>>10869651
Mind posting a screenshot so I don't have to create a Twitter account?
>>
File: kurt busiek ff.jpg (948 KB, 3014x1058)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
>>10869656
It's interesting because this was all being discussed way way back into the earlier life of the series. There's some talk about stuff that wasn't even introduced yet.
>>
>>10869672
Thanks, that was a neat read. I never knew about this at all.
>>
>>10869692
yeah, I'd love to read some of the scripts or see some of the art done for it. It's always fascinating to look back to when series weren't quite so well defined to see what kind of lunacy they were throwing around before things had more a solid identity. Just something about those formative more malleable days really takes you back and gets to noodle cruising.
>>
>>10859295
Better than the OG Final Fantasy's.
>>
>>10859295
this game should have zeldas fame cause it does everything better
>>
>>10869941
How?
>>
>>10859295
FF7 before FF7
Babby's First Jarpig
>>
>>10861647
SaGa 2 had a boss fight where you fight Apollo and their transformation, and as soon as they're about to lose, they're quite literally losing their composure.
>>
>>10869304
This wasn't the same poster you were responding to.
Anyway, the big difference between the bugs in FF1, the graphical glitches in (Japanese) DQs and the 64 door glitch in FF4 or the sketch glitch in FF6, is that FF1's wouldn't prevent a game to be release. From the point of views of devs and publishers it goes like

>Grade A bugs that need to be fixed as a priority because they would prevent a game from being released if caught by Nintendo/Sony/Sega/etc during their certification process; absolutely need to be fixed in case of a new revision and may even singlehandely cause a new revision being made
softlocks, crashes, save data erasing, big graphical glitches that lead to huge messes on the screen.
So, FF4, FF6, and half of the old DQ games (Japanese versions) and gen 1 Pokémon's (glitched world you can access, and potential missingno harm to the data)

>Really unfortunate bugs but wouldn't prevent cert
Anything that breaks gameplay and allows to cheat/exploit like stat manipulation, item duplication, etc
So, Dragon Warrior 3, Metal Max 2, FF7 etc

>Unfortunate but ultimately doesn't matter that much, ship it
Some buff/debuff spells don't work and the Int stat that would lead to mages dealing a few % more dmg don't work; like in FF1

So you see there are two things that piss me off about the FF1 situation. Any dev would grade bugs like this, but in comparison your grading is reversed. Secondly, and this influences the first, what I said and meant earlier is that people claim that FF1 is *exceptionally* glitched, like now the meme opinion is that it's literally unplayable and the main programmer was a "gaijin who didn't know what he was doing and Sakaguchi taught him everything he knows"'. The truth because literally every 8-16 bit RPG and many 32-bit ones have similar glitches, and the FF series started having Grade A bugs like the first ones in my list when said "stupid Gaijin" left, and not before. FF1 is unfairly singled out.
>>
>>10861624
sauce?
>>
>>10867634
Back in those days, not only were categories like graphics, sound, and gameplay rated, even then I thought it was strange to add a rating for challenge as well. It was a false metric pushed by the magazines inaccurately to represent possibly "replayability"/"playtime" as magazine like Nintendo Power or Gamepro had games rated higher for artificial reasons like higher damage scaling or giving games with depth in spreadsheet matricies like those in simulation or JRPGs.

>>10867657
I remember going to a trade show where they were showing off Final Fantasy III (6). The title credit roll and moving about in the early areas were in that build. I did ask the Squaresoft representative about FF5, and they did respond to me with how they intend on releasing it as "Final Fantasy Extreme". I guess I was too young or naive to recognize the frustration the US branch was having with the Japan branch even through the Ogopogo Examiner issues, I just thought they liked Capcom's Breath of Fire games as much and offered more localization work, as I also asked the representative at that trade show about jobs at Squaresoft too.
>>
>>10869173
They put him in Theathrythm
>>
>>10870078
My grading is based on what players actually care about. Your grading is based on what console branding execs care about. You don't realize there are two different standards and don't understand how to recognize the appropriate and relevant standard to apply. So you get steaming mad at people using a perfectly appropriate and reasonable standard because they aren't using the standard you in your autism decided was the only important one.
>>
>>10859295
If I ever become rich I'm gonna commission art of Benjamin fucking every single Final Fantasy girl just to mess with people.
>>
>>10863570
Fun fact, most FF games are satirical to some extent, even if unintentional. Of course hardcore fans will deny this.
>>
>>10859295
This is on the level of all those B-grade square titles for later Nintendo consoles like Crystal Chronicles
>>
>>10859532
I didn't dislike the music, but it also didn't really wow me either
>>
>>10872262
Players very much care about crashes or having your save data erased, that's exactly the kind of things that could prompt them to ask for a refund because "their copy of the game is defective" or other extreme measures like that, and it's why Square takes actions in that newsletter. It's been a common thing online to laugh at publishers pretending that glitches "are intended" but they do that precisely to stop the returns, cart exchanges and refunds.
As for graphical glitches and stat manipulation, they're all over the Famitsu "tips and tricks submitted by players" section.
Meanwhile the first mentions I've seen of "the glitches players care about", according to you, is a fan site from the 00s comparing the Famicom version with the MSX and other versions.
>>
>>10864858
This is the power of autism, my Friends. I also didn't know who Lisa is, I see no reason to claim this knowledge being essential to anything. It's kinda sad to see people old and jaded so much they explode if someone doesn't know trivia about a show they liked.
I'm not even a zoomer, I was born in 1990. Just ignore people like that, you can't help their chronic anger management issues.
>>
>>10868957
Some bugs in FF games were used by players as an optional QoL improvement. I always abuse the W-Item Materia dupe bug in FFVII (they kept the bug in the PC version while being well aware of it, even though other bugs were fixed [magic defense was working instead of being a broken stat] and, somehow, they introduced a completely new bug previously unseen [Yuffie teleportation glitch]).
I think there was a similar dupe bug in PC version of FFVIII, it did make life easier, yet I've still spent tons of time to collect all the cards and manipulating the card game rules.
>>
>>10870124
Apparently https://twitter.com/p_pmpk/status/1208349391624388608?lang=gl
>>
File: pehobe.jpg (59 KB, 500x505)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
>>10872905
You're part of the filthy growth though
>>
>>10872884
>still arguing from magazines and shit
Players don't care about the 64 door glitch because (basically) nobody every knew it existed. There was essentially no chance you'd ever corrupt your save. You don't play games though, you just bullshit about them on webforums
>>
>>10872905
It's understandable since you were pretty young when it started. I think this whole thing blew up because the guy who replied to the joke about Phoebe just sounded like he was complaining since with the same effort to say he didn't know why she was being brought up, he could have learned for himself why she was being brought up. Then he was mocked for being young, not simply for happening to not be born when the show was on but to assume anything he doesn't know about is worthless.
>>
>>10859295
I recently started playing it. Got to the second crystal and really lost inspiration because of how tedious it was becoming.

I also realizeed, in a separate thread, how amusing it is that the formula they came up with to teach baka gaijins how to play a JRPG 30 years ago is basically the same formula most modern JRPGs use to pace the player so the game maximizes playtime while minimizing content.
>no free roaming on world map, split into regions
>objectives clearly marked on map
>arbitrary grinding locations to offer "content" until the player completes them or gets sick of them and moves on
>party members controlled by AI

The humorous part is that, for being a beginner's game, Mystic Quest isn't necessarily "easy"; it just makes it very apparent to you that you have to spend time doing other things before progressing with the plot. It's just too funny, because if you ask me, that's exactly what modern JRPG players and developers have forgotten. The appeal of a JRPG used to be exploration and finding things for yourself, and despite a once-innate understanding that that was the hurdle to getting into JRPGs, the entire industry has completely embraced the opposite.
>>
>>10861173
I've never known a single 5 or 6 year old--then or now--who would have the patience to wade through all the tedium FFMQ buries you under.

It's not intended for children; it's intended for gamers who needed to be forced to learn how to explore and not just focus on jumping from plot point to plot point.

>>10861221
Really, that and the kickass battle music are like the only things anyone ever brings up, and they're the only things really worth mentioning about the game.

>>10864249
I literally died to that very first battle when I started my playthrough, recently. I wasted my first turn trying to run just to see if there was a funny message for trying to escape from what was obviously a scripted battle. Then the behemoth crit me, and outspeeded me on the second turn and crit me again.
>>
>>10867637
>I kind of like that's sort of dumbed down, to the point and on the shorter side.
The problem is that it's dumbed down to the point that the plot and characters are entirely uninteresting. And even though it may technically be shorter, the way it railroads you and forces you to grind makes it feel slow as molasses.
>>
>>10860089
Kek
>>
>>10867753
This basically what anxiety feels like only imagine it's doing anything and not just going through a door in a video game.
>>
>>10863789
They did.
>>
>>10859295
It's true, the "challenge" and gameplay are nothing to write home about, but everything else about it is just so incredibly cool imho. The music, the locations, the boss designs, battle animations, everything down to the menu sounds and item/weapon icons. I kinda love it.
>>
>>10873871
>and really lost inspiration
Motivation. You lost motivation. Retard.
>>
>>10863789
No they made the right choice. Nobody wanted NES rpgs in 1992.
FF5, maybe. Hard to know without specific financial details.
>>
>>10873098
thanks anon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.