[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Resident Evil 4 still has amongst the best pacing, encounter design, level design, gameplay loop, and overall game structure with incredibly satisfying mechanics today compared to everything that has come since. It's one of the most brilliantly cohesive and focused game visions ever executed. It is absolutely committed to a singular vision and evolving that vision throughout the experience, never once dwelling on one particular encounter or puzzle type, each lasting just long enough to engage and excite and then quickly abandoned in favor of something new.

What went so right?
>>
Mikami had been wanting to make an action game since 1996 but was Capcom put him on a golden leech and forced him to produce RE sequels and spin offs instead. So he had years to think about it. God Hand was a first draft too.
>>
>>10865226
I've played other tps games from the era and before it, re4 is middling. It's the halo of tps games with none of the innovation.
>>
>>10865226
Agreed with everything you said. Nintendoids get really bent out of shape when you tell them it's far and away the best game on the Gamecube.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>10865226
>>
>>10865226
It's the perfect videogame
Very few such games exist, another example being Final Fantasy VIII
>>
>>10865279
I'd add Doom, Brood War and Mega Man 2 to that list.
>>
>>10865237
>re4 is middling
You know nothing about game design.
>>
>>10865305
Explain how and why RE4 has good game design.
>>
File: file.png (330 KB, 626x417)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>10865305
>
>>
File: RE4 Hunk.webm (3.91 MB, 1066x600)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB WEBM
>>10865308
Consistent hit feedback and enemy attack animations. All standard enemy attacks can be interrupted. Over the duration of the game enemies get more armored and get more dangerous attacks. Despite the game being so long it never runs out of new enemies and environments. The fact it's even possible to beat the whole game without taking damage means it's already one of the best designed shooting games of all time.
>>
>>10865317
All of this is true for Duke Nukem Time to Kill on the PS1
>>
>>10865319
You can't even make it past the first few seconds of that game without taking damage due to the dogshit controls and enemy design.
>>
>>10865319
Actually it's not. TTK only has like 3 enemy types and the last few levels are repetitive, samey, and a succession of square rooms
>>
/vr/ nitpicking RE4 might be a new low.
>>
>>10865327
Wait until the contrarian in this thread starts trying to convince you Winback is a better game.
>>
>>10865321
This is a skill issue, no wonder you prefer games that adjust the difficulty for you like it's a baby modern game!
>>
>>10865339
I play on Professional difficulty which has no scaling. It's an objective statement that the pigcops in TTK can't be interrupted and attack constantly. Try playing the games you pretend to like.
>>
>>10865327
RE4 is not retro.
And it's vastly overrated.
>>
File: file.png (430 KB, 390x584)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
>>10865345
>I pway on pwofessional
>>
>>10865351
There's a reason nobody ever posts webms of TTK. The game is obviously shit.
>>
>>10865226
>third person view
fatal flaw. and as your image shows sometimes Leon takes up a quarter of the damn screen blocking the view.
>>
>>10865358
>sometimes Leon takes up a quarter of the damn screen blocking the view
The camera pulls in when aiming and it's great. The tradeoff for being able to do damage is a narrower FOV. Every enemy has audio cues before attacking and specific cues for being behind the player.
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 700x188)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>10865357
Is that the reason the same boring webms comparing the same game get posted with the same boring arguments over and over? Sounds boring. Replaying the same games endlessly sure seems pointless when you see what it does to the brains of the people that do it. Total deterioration.
>>
>>10865370
That screenshot doesn't show an argumentative webm though. It's an informative one that has clearly mindbroken you.
>>
>>10865349
It's like 20 year old, it's retro.
>>
File: 1711476550435458.jpg (19 KB, 433x349)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>10865226

nope!
>>
File: file.png (152 KB, 584x634)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>10865381
It sure is boring doing the same thing over and over again, I wonder what causes this behavior in this RE4 fan in particular? It's usually several times a week too. I gotta wonder if this guy ever plays anything else. I know he does, he's a low tier shitposter on a board stuck in a permanent spiral but he certainly doesn't play too much else. It must be why he makes these threads to seek constant affirmation over games that are well like everywhere in the world. "Please tell me I have good taste!"
>>
>>10865226
I dunno I think the village lasts too long. I beat the game once when it came out but any time I try to reply it I always get bored right when I get to the castle.
>>
>>10865392
Who knew informative webms about port differences would cause so much asspain in one individual?
>>
>>10865392
>>10865415
The only version that matters is the GC version
>>
>>10865339
>>10865351
You said the game was too difficult for him to which he replied that he played it in professional difficulty and then you mock him for correcting you. If you’re going to be a major faggot about it then go to /v/ with the rest of the zoomer retards that try too hard to fit in.
>>
>>10865442
QTE mashing isn't difficulty.
>>
>>10865485
QTE makes up 0.001% of the actual gameplay you cherry picking faggot, fuck off to /v/ like I said
>>
>>10865226
My problem with this game is that it’s an action game TPS but the guns are dogshit. They should have made the plagas villagers actually fast and able to pose a threat instead of lumbering target dummies. Either make an action game or a survival horror, make up your fucking mind. RE4 with enemies that had the speed of Left 4 Dead zombies would have been the greatest game of all time.
>>
>>10865545
You’re probably right that it would be a better game but it would be an even greater departure from what Resident Evil was.
>>
>>10865289
Have you played Brood War recently? I agree that it's extremely well-balanced from a multiplayer perspective, but the game isn't close to perfect otherwise. For one, the game is balanced around manually making up for gameplay features they just didn't implement: why don't workers go straight to mine minerals? Why can't I select multiple structures at once? Why can a medic autocast heal, but an SCV can't be set to auto-repair? If I have 4 Ghosts selected, why does using Lockdown on a Siege Tank cause all 4 of them to use the ability instead of just one of them? You have to spend a lot of time, focus, and clicks on almost totally uninteresting actions. By the way, every single one I just mentioned was fixed in WC3.
Secondly, the single-player is weak. The campaign is more varied and harder in the expansion, but the challenge isn't all that high and there's very little replayability.
>>10865545
What? The guns are really strong. The shotgun blows a dozen people back at once. The starting one, unupgraded. If the villagers were fast, you would just be doing the same thing you already are: taking a shot or two, then kiting to get some more distance and repeating. The villagers are slow now, yes, but you can't move while aiming, so relatively they are faster than you. When you're both moving, they're almost as fast you. The degree to which they stand around and stare at you is difficulty-dependent.
>>
>>10865628
>can’t move while aiming
Another thing that makes this game flip flop between survival horror/action. Why can’t you move while aiming in a TPS? Fucking retarded.
Very ironic that you would criticize Brood War’s archaic mechanical nature and in the same post justify RE4s dogshit quirks.
Let me set this straight before you think I’m some troll or something. I enjoyed this game, I just wish it picked a genre. It’s too slow paced to be an action game. The combat system can be abused easily (kung fu kicks, knife) that it takes all suspense of survival horror out of the game. The gameplay is too dumb for it to be a tactical style TPS. I just don’t understand how on this board you either worship this game or you’re labeled a /v/ troll. The game has its flaws. The game is at its peak when you are allowed to play it as a braindead action game (mercenaries mode)
>>
>>10865658
>Why can’t you move while aiming in a TPS? Fucking retarded.
because not everything has to fit into your mongoloid chilidsh boxes? lol
you're like those faggots who cry because they can't control their jump arcs in castlevania.
>the game is too easy, but also, why isn't it easier?????
now that's retarded.
>>
>>10865672
If you want to talk about childish mongoloids you should analyze your own posts.
>grrrr wai u no love my gay game :((
RE4 is a suitable game for midwits that don’t know any better
>>
>>10865226
RE5 and especially TEW greatly improved upon RE4, but RE4 is still great (GCN version).

Also reminder your opinion is irrelevant unless you are playing on Professional/Akumu (nightmare is acceptable)
>>
>>10865339
>>10865351
you lost a retarded argument and now you're posting this embarrassing shit
>>
>>10865658
>picked a genre
So games can't innovate or deviate from the genre expectations you have? It's an action-horror game, not a flip-flop between the two. And it obviously succeeded at fitting that niche, since the game is widely beloved. I agree with you that the combat system can be exploited by someone experienced with it, but that holds true for almost every game. To take Brood War as an example, the last time I played it I cheesed about a dozen missions because there wouldn't be enough challenge on those missions to justify the amount of time it would take it beat them normally. That took almost no skill, by the way, whereas in RE4 you at least have to be somewhat practiced at the game to pull off frequent knife/kick combos.

Every game has limitations. The difference between BW and RE4 is how the limitations impact the gameplay. In RE4, you can't move, but it factors into your decision-making. Are you willing to stand still for a moment to try and hit a cluster of enemies behind you with the shotgun, but letting the enemies coming from the side get that much further up the ladder? It's just a core mechanic of the game that you can't move, and everything is built around that limitation. You are gaining something (gameplay depth) for what is lost, and that's the key point.
By the way, the only reason that limitation bothers you is that you can move in other games and in real life, but there's no requirement that it be in RE4. You might as well ask why Leon can't crawl. He doesn't need to for the game to work. Doomguy couldn't jump, either, even though it would objectively be useful to him to be able to do so on several maps. Doom is designed around him not being able to jump.

Brood War is different. The game should be about strategically massing an army and outmaneuvering your opponents'. What depth or skill do you gain by having to return to your base every 12.6 seconds to move an SCV to a mineral patch? It's distracting, pointless, and repetitive.
>>
>>10865686
>RE4 is a suitable game for midwits that don’t know any better
That much is really obvious when you see posts like this: >>10865317 like bro...RE4 totally blows the fuck out of mediocre and bad games like Giants Citizen Kabuto in its attempt at third person shooting. OK? And it meets basic requirements from the genre and does things earlier games in the franchise does too. Great job on not changing and ruining everything in your genre shift RE4. Pure dunning-Kruger.
>>
>>10865749
RE4 shits all over whatever dogshit game you think is good for braindead reasons.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (22 KB, 265x374)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>10865226
>beginning of turing protags into superheroes
>quicktime events
nah I only stick to the classics
>>10865237
>halo
>innovative
Less features than Unreal Tournament 99, thats not innovation thats the opposite.
>>
>>10865759
Based. Outbreak file 2's still the king of classic Resi in terms of both replayability and difficulty. I've got like 500 hours in it by now and I'll never get sick of it.
>>
>>10865756
Frogger will NEVER recover from this thin skinned fan of one thr most popular games of all time defends its honor. Really what makes you so sensitive? Only types I've seen get this ragged and pissy are oot fans.
>>
>>10865768
I'm just saying you're obviously retarded and don't know shit about video games.
>>
>>10865778
Idk man enemies responding to being attacked? That's some in depth mechanical talk. Totally clearing the heads of all those detractors right there.
>>
>>10865786
>Idk man enemies responding to being attacked?
There's tactical decision making behind shooting enemies in various locations based on the situation, their armor and their weapon. Every shot causes some response. Shit games like Duke Nukem Time to Kill doesn't have any of that shit.
>>
>>10865794
Yeah dude most games with more than one enemy type do this, welcome to the 1980s of game design. Nobody is impressed by pointing out doom had orthogonal unit differentiation or that re4 does like all the other games in the series did. Goof Troop does it too but I don't see you killing yourself to praise the fact it cam have more than one enemy type on screen. Duke time to kill does have that btw. Play more games.
>>
>>10865804
>Duke time to kill does have that btw
Lmao you're still defending that shit even after getting BTFO earlier. Just give it up you sad loser.
>Yeah dude most games with more than one enemy type do this
The only other game I can think of with this level of enemy interaction is Perfect Dark.
>>
>>10865794
>There's tactical decision making behind shooting enemies in various locations based on the situation, their armor and their weapon. Every shot causes some response.
that's just Spyro on ps1 bro
>>
>>10865816
Winback has enemies that react differently to being shot in different areas of their body, since that is what you have goal post shifted to.
>>
>>10865820
Dishonest ridiculous comparison.
>>
>>10865823
Your goalpost shift was dishonest too. Try to state what you clearly mean when you're talking about enemies reacting to being shot the first time since people can't read your mind over the internet, Mr. Game Design Genius.
>>
>>10865821
It only has the same human enemy in like three colors and there's no situation where a headshot isn't the preferred option. It also doesn't have the ability to shoot weapons out of their hands like RE4 or PD. Not on the same level of interactivity or tactical decision making.
>>
>>10865830
It doesn't need that level of decision making because the focus of the game is on getting lower completion times, you're encouraged to kill only what you need to in order to progress which the game cleverly hints at depending on enemy ingress locations using carefully set up sight lines. Decisions on who not to kill and who to kill are just as interesting as targeting a toe vs a head, but RE4's fall backs are there for more casual players to feel safer playing riskier, there's very little at risk in most situations thanks to how easily managed enemies are in the game so top level play resembles duck hunt more than a careful delegation of resources and prioritization.

Winback also has another one up on RE4, because it also has player based hit reactions. Depending on where you are shot, you will react differently and this directly impacts the race against the clock as there's variance in recovery time. Bullets also travel clearly which elevates all engagements in both how you defend and attack.

RE4 has nothing close to that.
>>
>>10865843
You're trying to sell Winback on its time limit when taking out every enemy and beating it well under the timer is insanely easy. There's contrarianism and then there's just lying to try and make a mediocre game sound good. You know how every level in Winback goes? You get behind cover and shoot the same enemies in the head. That's every level until the end.
>>
>>10865854
>You get behind cover and shoot the same enemies in the head. That's every level until the end.
Rookie play for someone who doesn't even know what the hell is going on.
>>
File: Winback results.jpg (242 KB, 1440x1080)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>10865868
I got the best ending easily.
>>
>>10865876
Meh emulated clear
>>
>>10865890
Played on MiSTer with an original controller. Obviously better than yours since you would have posted your results otherwise.
>>
>>10865893
Even less believable
>>
>>10865736
You can blend genres if you make an actual good game. Having to stop still like a statue and aim the slowest laser sight gun is indefensible and retarded. So what do you end up doing? Back pedal to group as much enemies as possible and use the shotgun/gernade, or try to abuse the kick. The player has to limit his options due to the developer’s poorly fleshed out combat system/weapons/controls/bad AI. This game is flawed severely. As bad as RE5 onwards are, they at least play better than RE4.
If you want to play a good RE action game then stick with RE3
>>
>>10865902
Is that time really impossible for you?
>>
Why do I become so bored in the castle and island if this is the case?
>>
this game really did a lot of damage to the third person shooter genre. they could've been great with more of an emphasis on movement but instead the genre got all boring and lethargic just because of this shitty game.
>>
>>10865226
take your meds,RE4 is the worst of all,pacing is the worst since every two steps someone gets on your blind side and attacks you.
gameplay is kinda ruined because "muuuh fast action".
nothing good about this game not even remaked made it good.
>>
File: 1692030738542517.gif (511 KB, 840x488)
511 KB
511 KB GIF
i have never played a resident evil game and i never will
>>
Re4 is fun, didn't really need a remake, but ultimately I don't like the game because it forced RE in a direction i'm not too fond of and it doesn't look to be correcting anytime soon.
>>
>>10866086
You dodged a bullet.
>>
>>10866079
You're too good at the game. The max difficulty of RE4 is like a 6/10, and without sufficient challenge or novelty to the gameplay it will start to feel routine. Same reason people fall asleep during JRPGs; 15 trivial random encounters between each map location is not compelling.
>>
>>10865226
>gameplay loop
Stopped reading there, shut your little ass up and speak like an adult.
>>>/v/
>>
>>10866237
It's called game design. Why does it make you angry? You should watch more game dev tutorial on YouTube.
>>
>>10866241
well in anons defense it is a bit redundant to say gameplay loop when he already said level design
>>
>>10866295
Sounds like the rantings of some nerd who never even made a video game. Don't respond to me until you've had a Steam release, kid.
>>
>>10866236
RE4 introduces new elements all the time, it never gets too routine as to be boring. Unlike shitty games like Winback or Duke Nukem Time to Kill for example.
>>
>>10866241
Gameplay is gameplay, the loop part is a new fad because of retarded e-celebs. People used to say things like engaging. Even if it's a dev, the very idea that they use "gameplay loop", tells me they make shit modern games made to create time sinks and grinding, not satisfying gameplay that keeps adding as the experience goes on but shallow shit that just tries to hook the player with some gimmick.
>>
>>10866306
As far as we can tell you don't have anything to show but your big mouth.
>>
>>10866241
Loop is soulless. Just compare Doom 1,2 and 3 with 2016 and Eternal.
>>
>>10866086
There's something wrong with the series, at least the Nintendo entries (re264, zero, 4) that generates a distinct autism and close mindedness. Fans of these versions are seriously insecure too.
>>
>>10865226
>What went so right?
hot playable characters
>>
>>10865331
Nothing forces you to play like this. This clearly isn't the optimal playstyle.
>>
However, it is not a proper horror game like its predecessors. It belongs under a different name despite being a good action game
>>
>>10866871
That is the awesome way to play. Silver ghost maxxed out is kino.
>>
I always thought RE4 was weirdly similar to SF, or a fighting game in general. Your guns are like different moves that are best suited for use at a specific range and the player's task is to capitalize on the advantages of different weapons at their respective range. The limited movement makes your positioning in this fashion the core of the game.
>>
>>10867008
What your describing is cope
>>
>>10867018
*you're
>>
>>10866085
Skill issue
>>
>>10865778
>>10865749
Why do you write like an unlikable queer??
>>
>>10867018
The only ones coping are you contrarians coping with the fact this game you have an irrational hate-boner for is universally loved.
>>
>>10867169
Nice cope. How mad are you?
>>
File: 1699291259229881.png (1.26 MB, 573x1479)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>>10865226
Great enemy design, incredible variety in setpieces, good progression flow (because of the previous point), good weapon balance and variety, good arena design, great feedback when hitting enemies, melee acting as a pressure relief that requires a precise shot in order to activate, good length overall, gives you enough freedom to experiment with all sorts of equipment and challenge runs.
The only real problem the game has is a lack of a Very Hard difficulty mode. Pro is a bit of a snoozefest once you know what you're doing and it rarely pushes you (unless you're doing some sort of challenge run). Wild that no one has ever modded one in after all these years.
>>
File: 1705064073615989.png (880 KB, 1098x506)
880 KB
880 KB PNG
>>10865226
not even close
>>
i dont get it

is resident evil a horror game or some sci-fi comedy thing
>>
>>10865226
If RE4 is so great, why didn't they make it first instead of wasting our time with RE 1 - 3?
>>
>>10867965
>audience demands everything be explained in autistic detail
>easier to write documentaries than legitimate horror
Sorry grandpa, horror is dead.
>>
>>10867965
anything outside the original trilogy (1, 2, CV (the real re3, nemesis is re2 dlc)) is glorified fan fiction
>>
Best way to play RE4 now?
>>
>>10868071
The VR port for the Oculus Rift
>>
>>10867854
I guess they expected expert players to just grind Mercenaries. But I think a Very Hard would be easy to implement, and could even be loaded in through a config file that just tweaks values when playing on Professional. Seems like a fun project.
My ideas would be:
- all upgrades cost way more (not sure how much, maybe double. Goal is to make player somewhat happy when pesetas drop, be pressured to do side challenges for extra cash or sell certain things)
- melee attacks do less damage (incentivized to use ammo more because melee would mostly be useful to just push enemies back)
- enemies are more aggressive in close range, spending less time standing without going for an attack
- hardest to implement, but if possible add more button combinations to the QTEs so they're less predictable
>>
>>10868431
Agreed. Upgrade choices only matter in the early game. After a while you can just upgrade everything every time you get to a merchant.
Melee attacks already do poor damage (the kick especially). I guess you could nerf the knife to where it was in the NTSC GC version, but that would also make challenge runs more annoying.
Another thing they could implement would be the quicker rise the enemies get in Separate Ways. Was surprised to see that enemies there get up in like half the time compared to the normal game.
>>
>>10869065
The suplex has a sort of specialty use, so I guess it might be fine to leave, but maybe my memory of this game is a little fuzzy. I remember a lot of heads exploding from roundhouse kick spamming during my last playthrough, but it could have just been because I was using my guns so rarely that I forgot how much stronger they were. I had the same thought about nerfing the knife; it has an obvious niche to fill so making it weaker is just annoyance for no real gain.
I also don't remember the special animations in Separate Ways, although it's been longer since I've played that. That would definitely go in then, the default recovery speed is terrible, especially since I think they always stand still for a long moment after reaching regular posture.
>>
>>10865226
It's a fantastic game but once you figure out some basic tricks, it becomes very easy which is kind of a shame.
Even with no upgrades and on professional, it's very manageable.
I wish for more encounters like the cabin fight where you can genuinely get overwhelmed and have to improvise.
>>
>>10868071
>Best way to play RE4 now?

Best way: GC, Wii or Steam w/ HD Project

Worst way: PS2
>>
>>10868071
Switch with GameCube controller
>>
>>10869736
>>10868071
Every time RE4 gets a port, something new is broken

GC –> Wii — Lower polygon count inventory items from PS2 port

GC –> Wii –> Xbox 360 — Broken and missing effects, bad mapping conversion for ALL the models of the game, missing sound reverb effect.

GC –> Wii –> Xbox 360 –> UHD — Animation and sound issues, black pickup screen, bad optimization with lots of performance issues in some computers

The PS4 version is just copy-paste of the “HD textures option” from PC Ultimate HD. Only a few extra character textures were improved for PS4/Xone.

Also some enemies behavior issues if I’m not mistaken. But I’m not sure in which port…

Still aside of resolution the GC/Wii and UHD with HD Project are the best versions. It has the best color palette and lightning and have bloom to the fire effects.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project removes terrible looking PS2 version assets.

https://www.re4hd.com/?p=5281

>WEAPONS and other item MODELS: The models used for all post-Gamecube versions have less polygons than the original Gamecube version. It seems they kept (perhaps by accident?) the low-poly versions from the PS2 port of the game. I restored and even improved all of these models. There is a limitation with these models that crashes the game if the file size of certain files are larger than the original, but I found that there is some dispensable data that can be removed from the .bin files (the 3D models), and even entire .bin files that are unused in-game

Just play HD Project.

>https://fitgirl-repacks.site/resident-evil-4-hd-project/
>>
>>10869774
It's amazing how much money these companies make rehashing the same game over and over, when a single dude outperforms entire departments of their staff. For free.
>>
>>10869774
>>10869812
Every version of RE4 is now based on the Wii port, which is a frankenstein of PS2 and Gamecube elements.

In 60fps mode, in stage 1-1, first time attacked by villagers in the "policeman on bonfire" area, if you don't go into the house and just keep killing enemy on the path beside the cow house, the attacked time will be shorter than 30 fps mode

>in 60fps mode, it is around 3'20", but in 30fps mode, the time will be 6'40"

Another weird thing concerning framerate in RE4 HD is that the animation for reloading the bolt-action sniper rifle still runs and 30fps. Maybe related to the fact that at 60fps it would be too fast.

On chapter 4-1, after reunited with Ashely, we can backtrack a little bit to get the Broken Butterfly. Just after the Garrador cage, there's a store room with padlock. 2 Novisdator will spawn in this room. Capcom accidentally deleted them in newer ports and HD Project restores them.

GC NTSC is harder.

>GC Red 9's exclusive upgrade increases its power to 5.0 instead of 6.5
>GC Blacktail's exclusive upgrade increases its power to 3.4 instead of 4.5
>GC Bolt-Action Rifle's exclusive upgrade increases its power to 18.0 instead of 30.0
>GC Semi-automatic Rifle's exclusive upgrade decreases its firing speed to 0.4 instead of 0.8

>Normal mode and Separate Ways start at 5500 difficulty instead of 3500.
>Assignment Ada is fixed to 6500 difficulty instead of 4500.
>Easy difficulty is removed as an option from the title menu.
>Shooting range requirements are 3000 per bottle cap instead of 1000.
>The village stage in Mercenaries has a unique dynamic difficulty mode. In PAL the difficulty is fixed at 5500, but in NTSC it's unlocked, and you also gain 30 difficulty points every second.
>In the lava room where you fight 2 El Gigantes, if you kill one of them in the lava pit you can leave after you defeat the other one and come back to the room and the treasure it would have dropped if you killed it normally would be there in the room
>>
>>10869827
That rifle reload animation sticks out so much. I have no idea how that made it through quality control.
>GC NTSC is harder
All that time playing it must explain why I'm an absolute GOD at this game
>>
>>10869736
>Worst way: PS2
Nah, it's still the same game. Worst version is undoubtedly the recent "remake"
>>
>>10869827
Knife hits required to kill a 1200 HP villager on Professional difficulty:

NTSC GameCube: 15
PAL/NTSC-J GameCube: 8
Wii/UHD/PS4/etc: 6

In the original GC version of the game, Ada never had a knife. She was only given a knife for Separate Ways in the PS2 release, and later Mercenaries mode and Assignment Ada in the Wii-based ports.

Re4 uses field_joyLKamaeRelated_847D to disable the knife for Wesker, Hunk, and Ada. There's still an Ada-only check in joyLKamae for this, but since the Wii port that flag never gets set when playing as her.
>>
I only played this game because it came bundled with my devil may cry 3 purchase. Never had any interest in this series to begin with and I didn't like this one at all.
>>
>>10865226
Going back, the QTE's really were the biggest blunder of the game. Like a huge mole on the forehead of the prom queen. Also, that stupid fucking tile puzzle.
>>
Putting a character model in the corner doesn't stop a FPS from being a FPS
>>
>>10869209
>heads exploding from roundhouse kick spamming
That happens either because the enemies were near dead anyway and the kick was the killing blow or because you used a maxed out Handgun, which increases crit chance also on melee hits. But if you see the damage the kick does in itself, it's very poor (like half of what a knife swing does iirc). They're meant to be crowd control tools and they do a damn fine job at that.
>default recovery speed is terrible
It makes it too easy to knife everyone to death, even on the island.
>>
>>10868071
the remake even though it's not /vr/

t. played the original 10 times and think the remake is superior

>>10869413
the iframes you get from roundhouse kicks are so strong, iframes are slightly toned down in the remake but not by much.
>>
>>10870616
>maxed out Handgun, which increases crit chance also on melee hits
Just from having it equipped? That's nuts. Would also explain what I saw, since my last playthrough was a challenge run that used the basic handgun.
>>
>>10870335
The dogshit gameplay is more akin to a rail shooter than an FPS. You’re a retard
>>
>>10865386
No is not. When I think of retro games I think of super Nintendo Sega saturn and Gameboy.
>>
>>10865226
I hate this game for popularizing the "over the shoulder stop-to-aim shooter" style of gameplay that has become the go-to "standard" gameplay style for the past 15 years.
>>
>>10869858
he PlayStation 2 version, graphical effects are reduced in detail. Even more noticeably are the water, shadow, and fog effects, as well as a reduced draw distance, missing many lighting effects , abscence of all specular highlights and water effects needed to be re-designed (ripple with transparency, but a flat surface with no reflections) as the PlayStation 2 hardware does not have the same capabilities as the GameCube. Some small things were left out of the PlayStation 2 version, for instance, the barrels that Leon breaks throughout the game are missing a circular rim on the top compared to the GameCube, character model physics were also downgraded or completely removed due to the sacrificial and downgrading of model quality such as Ada's hair, Leon's back hair, Ashley's hair and Skirt being no longer animated as they were in the original game release.

Additionally, almost all the GameCube's real-time cut scenes were converted into movie files in order to maintain a better quality. This results in the player's character appearing wearing their default costume, regardless of which accessories or outfits were actually chosen. Furthermore, voices and sound effects quality outside of the cut-scenes had been reduced due to disc space being quickly used and audio RAM constraints. An anamorphic 16:9 mode was implemented in the PS2 port and included in all subsequent versions of the game. This mode omits the borders of the 4:3 mode, but still renders the game in the same resolution and utilizes the TV to stretch the image. This results in blurrier graphics, more visible dithering and no additional field of view being added to the game.

Also PS2 version enemies just shuffled off-screen to save on memory and had worse AI routines in general lol
>>
NTSC GameCube's balance

- Ammo drops significantly more often and Pesetas drop less often
- The Knife does 60% less damage
- The TMP does 30% less damage to Ganados and 25%% more damage to El Gigante and Krauser
- The Red9, Blacktail, and Rifle exclusive upgrades are weaker
- The Semi-Auto Rifle's exclusive upgrade is stronger (0.4 vs 0.8 firing speed)
- The Handgun exclusive upgrade is stronger (50% crit chance vs 33% in UHD)
- Matilda has a slower rate of burst fire, lower firepower, and slightly faster reload speed
- Mine Thrower mines take 2 seconds longer to detonate
- The Merchant's First Aid Spray stock is not dynamic
- First Aid Sprays, Treasure Maps, the TMP, and Mine Thrower are more expensive. Striker and Killer7 are cheaper.
- The Shotgun is more expensive to fully ugprade.
- Flash grenades don't instakill Las Plagas wolves
- U3 takes full damage from magnum weapons (vs 50% in UHD)
- Regenerators take 33% more damage from everything but the Knife

Striker, in the original version you had to wait until at least chapter 4-3 to start upgrading it. In later versions they allow you to tune up as soon as the Striker is available in the sewers before Verdugo.
>>
>>10872360
kek re4 is like a NES game where the japanese version is radically different from the american one
>>
>>10872353
why did you write all that
>>
>>10872360
>Flash grenades
That's a good fix. The flash grenade should kill them if it kills most of the other Plagas.
>Regenerators
Does anyone kill those without the scope? In my last playthrough I didn't have a rifle and couldn't believe how much damage they soak up otherwise. I even tried spraying all over them with the Penetrator in the hopes that it would kill all of the parasites blindly, but no luck. I used up damn near all my ammo, so I avoided every regenerator after that point that I wasn't required to kill.
>>
>>10872360
One slightly obscure change is Mendez second form is completely immune to incendiary grenades in the NTSC Gamecube version, in all other versions he has a Mega Man tier weakness for them in both forms. It kind of makes sense they don't work on him since he's suspended in the air most of the fight. In the NTSC GCN version his first form still takes a ton of damage from them.
>>
>>10865226
>best pacing
The pacing after the village levels became so horrible.
>encounter design
Did you forget how the second half of the game became a mindless shooting gallery with really awkward enemy placements and heavily scripted encounters?
>level design
Ditto. It started out good but became dumb and shitty soon enough.
>gameplay loop
Could've been fun with the inventory and weapon systems, but the level design is way too linear, rendering those meaningless.
>satisfying mechanics
The gunplay and takedowns are meaty, I'll give you that. Everything else about the game except for the graphics sucks though.
>puzzles
Literally the worst I've ever seen in any game and has zero cohesion the rest of the game's mechanics and atmosphere.
>one of the most brilliantly cohesive and focused game visions ever executed
What are you smoking? Go back to redit.
>>
>>10865237
RE4 isn't even a TPS. You don't even understand the game enough to put it in the right genre.
>>
>>10865890
This has to be the most easily recognizable poster on /vr/. Please leave
>>
>>10872739
>RE4 isn't even a TPS.
That's the biggest cope I've seen all week.
>>
File: 1652965144077.jpg (59 KB, 640x480)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>10865279
>VIII
>>
>>10865226
About this game
>Gameplay is fine but the formula was refined in upcoming mikami and capcom games
>Qte's are just boring
>The first half of the game is boring
It's a 9/10 game but with 7/10 replay value
>>
>>10872459
>One slightly obscure change is Mendez second form is completely immune to incendiary grenades in the NTSC Gamecube version, in all other versions he has a Mega Man tier weakness for them in both forms. It kind of makes sense they don't work on him since he's suspended in the air most of the fight. In the NTSC GCN version his first form still takes a ton of damage from them.

QRD on the differences between the NTSC RE4 and PAL/JP RE4?
>>
>>10872739
>game is so shitty in its own genre fans don't even want to put it in that genre
banjo kazooie syndrome
>>
>>10872428
>Does anyone kill those without the scope?
You'd need to if you're going for a No-Merchant run. Ironically the Gamecube version totally fucks this up and it's most likely the reason why devs had to tweak the knife damage values for subsequent so it wouldn't be a nightmare to fight that thing in such a run.
>>
>>10873384
>Ironically the Gamecube version

It's only the NTSC version.

PAL/JP is the definitive version.
>>
>>10873384
I didn't even use the knife. I'm sure there's a trick to it, but I tried a couple times and got totally thrashed by it. Would have been nice to not lose 90% of my ammo and grenades, though.
>>
>>10865226
They actually tried and made it look good that's why it sold so well

The gameplay mechanics aren't that great and I think could be improved on but since it looks like a movie almost and has creative story, characters, worlds, etc, it's a favorite
>>
>>10865226
It is a great game. I remember it fondly as one of the last great gaming experiences there ever was before it all went to shit.
>>
>>10865349
>RE4 is not retro.
It was first released on the GameCube, which didn't even have HDMI output. Even the first model of the Xbox 360 didn't have HDMI output; THAT is how long ago 2005 was.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.