[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does this game get better? It feels extremely mid so far and the hype for it totally unwarranted. Great presentation but really slow gameplay with not much happening.
>>
>>10866064
I lost interest about halfway through. Controversial opinion: 3 is better.
>>
>>10866082
Is it like prince of Persia where the edgy sequel is actually a way better game, they're both Ubisoft.
>>
>>10866064
The problem with this game is it feels very lonely and gets boring. It relies almost solely on being just playable while having a great atmosphere. Even then, the atmosphere never really changes much. Would have loved some snow levels. 7/10 game
>>
>>10866082
3 is better and one of the best platformers of its generation. I still like 2 though I grew up with it
>>
Platformers are often carried by their music and the Rayman 2 has SHIT music
>>
>>10866064
>It feels extremely mid so far and the hype for it totally unwarranted
Yeah that's Rayman 2 for you. Sorry you expected so much, I usually poke a little fun at Rayman 2 fans by pointing out how nice the PS2 version looks and how if you like rayman 2 you automatically like the PS2 version because it's just literally the same game with some small changes but this drives them insane because they've made it their identity to praise the n64 and dreamcast versions even though it's a middling platformer.
>>
>>10866064
yeah it does. i'm not surprised >>10866082 stopped halfway as well since most of the impressive stuff is in the latter half
i agree that the first half is pretty mid but the second half elevates it to like an 8/10
>>
>>10866287
Why would anyone like a version of a middling game that only adds bad things, that would just make it a bad game
>>
>>10866329
Because it's a comical over-exaggeration that if it's the straw that breaks the camel's back to add some bloat maybe the game is due for a reassessment and was never as good as it's pretended to be.
>>
>>10866386
That applies to anything, though. If you add a bunch of godawful bosses and stages to Mario 64 or Quake, then it's just shit. Doesn't matter how good the original was or wasn't.
>>
>>10866407
Half the Mario 64 stages are good. Half.
>>
>>10866407
Nah, small additions can detract but to overwrite the good entirely? That's not how it works. That's the typical hyper-assertive /v/-ism that throws the baby out with the bath water and is only used to shut down discussion.
>>
>>10866278
You got it all backwards. All renowned platformers are carried by their gameplay and ironically Rayman 2 is one of the very few exceptions to this, this game is carried by its atmosphere which is achieved by the combination of its visuals AND music
>>
>>10866287
>by pointing out how nice the PS2 version looks
the load times are dogshit, the hub world is annoying, and there are way too many robot fights
>>
>>10866082
3 is flawless start to finish. the only real flaw is you might say its a bit short, but it doesnt wear out its welcome either...and 6 hours is still a good length
2 has better "mood" but 3 has a very satisfying flow to it
>>
>>10866064
2 and 3 are peak rayman
it's amazing they got this thing to work
on the ps1 at all
>>
>>10866484
>its a bit short
I recall 2 and 3 being the same in length
>>
>>10866443
I should've specified "shit version," specifically. Few people familiar with Mario 64 will speak kindly of Worse Edition in comparison to the original, even if the mandatory additions are minor. That's actually why people hate Rayman 2 PS2, not because Rayman has subjected them to MKUltra mind-control experiments to make them to defend his honor.
>>
>it feels very lonely
tell these zoomers that it's "liminal" and they'll start shitting their pants and making youtube essays on it.
>>
So is it worth trying out?
>>
>>10867026
Emulation is free, so sure go ahead and try it.

I played through it a few years ago. It was alright. There are better 3D platformers but if you've already played a lot of the big name ones and still want more then this one is pretty alright. Changes things up in some pretty unique ways in some levels.
>>
>>10866735
>Few people familiar with Mario 64 will speak kindly of Worse Edition in comparison to the original, even if the mandatory additions are minor.

people shit on mario 64 ds all the time
>>
>>10867595
I have so far, Dreamcast version too and I have to say... my God is Rayman slow. He is shocking slow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.