[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Why are all of FFX's sidequests either tedious or absurdly difficult mini-games?
>getting 0 seconds on Chocobo Chaser
>running back and forth in the desert for the cactuars
>dodging 200 lightning bolts
>blitzball
>finding 10 of every enemy including rare ones (why 10?)
>>
>>10866746
Square was the king of difficult mini-games or side-objectives back in the day. Look at Mario RPG, or Final Fantasy IX.
>>
>>10866746
blitball is great. the rest is indeed quite tedious and unrewarding.
>>
>>10866746
Japs are autistic and have no life
>>
>>10866746
Note how almost every ultimate weapon sidequest does not involve combat.
>>
>>10866767
Blitzball went from too hard to too easy way too fast.
>>
>>10866928
You can just choose not to cheese it
>>
It's called content and no one is forcing you to do it if you only care about the story
>>
>>10866746
Funny thing: you actually need LESS than 0 seconds on the Chocobo one.
>>
>>10866746
The only one I call bullshit on is the 200 lightning dodge. It's like whoever came up with the 100 jumps in SMRPG went out of his way to make it even worse. I've replayed this game countless times and this is the one thing I did once and refuse to even try again.
>>
>>10867006
It's literally impossible not to cheese it. You're going to be OP within about 5 games and won't lose anymore. All you do is throw it up and score. You'd have to turn your brain off and randomly pass or dribble forever straight into the enemy not to do that.
>>10866746
Chocobo missions are easy. I don't know why people struggle so much with them. They're fun too. The only really hard one is the lightning bolts, and the butterflies are a bit tedious with so much memorization but not awful. I remember the lightning really drove me crazy even with the trick. It takes something like 20+ minutes per successful attempt, and most people definitely won't get it without many attempts. Still easier than 9's jump rope.
Cactuars aren't hard, just save.
Only really weird thing about FFX is that you spend like 5x as long on the postgame as you do on the main game. Usually that sort of thing is reserved for games like Disgaea. I don't remember most FFs being like this, at least of the ones I played.
>>
>>10866746
could be worse, it could've had a jump rope minigame
>>
>>10866746
to filter low IQ casuals like (you)
>>
That was around the time studios starting hiring literal who "quest designers" to create filler content to fluff the games to industry standards, content that has nothing to do with The Vision™. Much like MMOs, the API at their disposal was highly limited to they just resorted to simplistic tasks repeated an arbitrary number of times.
>>
>minigame that nobody wants to play gives you end-game items at the start of the game
I just take this as the devs giving me the go ahead to cheat since clearly it was intended to have these items at the earliest point in the game they become available
>>
>>10866746
FFX has by far the best end game of any Square title and for that reason *alone* is the very best FF game.

>>10866767
Pretty much the opposite of this. Blitzball is basically the worst minigame in existence, it's excessively complex for something that has no strategy to it and boils down to really dumb tactics you just repeat over and over with the right stats/moves.
>>
>>10867612
>>10867747
Was I retarded for doing this?
>Hire four defenders plus the Al Bhed goalkeeper
>Put Tidus in the midfielder spot
>Defenders rush for the ball, then pass to Tidus
>Tidus brute forces goal with Sphere/Jecht Shot
>>
>>10867772
You can basically do whatever you want. It's nice to have two people who can shoot early because you won't have much HP (and sphere/jecht consume a lot), but it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: All Lucky 7s!.jpg (171 KB, 1436x1009)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>10866746
>finding 10 of every enemy including rare ones (why 10?)
I genuinely can't tell if you're making a joke with this one or not, anon... Say the title of the game out loud.
>>
File: 1683341332473249.png (37 KB, 499x322)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>10867901
Final Fantasy Ex?
>>
File: Oh you!.jpg (127 KB, 640x945)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>10867906
>>
>>10866746
Because JRPGs milk every task to its limit for time so the game lasts longer. It doesn't seem special nowadays when you have access to thousands of games on demand, but if you bought a retro game and it kept you engrossed that long back in the day then it felt like a more worthwhile purchase and that made people happy.
>>
>>10866746
I remember articles and magazines saying, "FINAL FANTASY TEN IS OVER A THOUSAND HOURS LONG!!!" and it's genuinely, sincerely, about 40 hours to complete with side quests.
>>
>>10868773
It takes a lot longer than 40 hours to complete the main story plus all sidequests, unless you don't count things like capturing monsters as sidequests. I'm sure speedrunners could do it quicker but for normal people, no way.
>>
>>10869502
My dude, speedrunner times for FFX are 9 hours and 40 minutes, PLEASE stop stumbling and muttering ignorantly out of your ass. FFX does NOT take a thousand hours to complete as marketed. Fuck off.
>>
>>10869506
I didn't say it took 1,000 hours. I said it took more than 40 for most people to do everything. And besides, I checked and that's the any% category which does include skips. The Nemesis category is 20 hours and you don't have to do all the sidequests. Just trust me, okay? It takes a lot longer than that. I just played it dude and I'm faster than most people.
>>
>>10869506
>FFX are 9 hours and 40 minutes

There's no way that this actually includes the major side quests, as most of that time would be taken up by cutscenes in the first place. 40 hours for main+sidequests could only include stuff like obtaining the basic sigals + summons given you already know how to do them, but not the fucking monster arena.
>>
>>10869519
>Just trust me, okay?
Funniest thing I've read since, "ples respond", holy shit
>>
>>10867341
>>10867612
Lightning is actually really easy if you know the cheese spot. I should make a video about it some day since I've never seen anyone else mention it.
>>
>>10869519
>>10869521
2B h, when I said 40 hours for main game and side quests I was not including everyone's ultimate weapon, because that is just stupid and unnecessary bullshit and most players will have already experienced everything those side quests entail with the main story already. You still gotta Chocobo, you still gotta dodge lightning strikes, you still gotta play Blitz Ball, just doing these tasks to the point where you get every ultimate weapon for every character is some masochistic shit almost nobody would do, but would still say they complete the game.

So like, main story + side quests except for the ultimate weapons for each character is around 40 hours.
>>
>>10869548
>except for the ultimate weapons

Like, the fuck are you even on about here? Most ultimate weapons have fairly simple requirements, and the game allows you to easily spend 100+ hours exploring, filling out the sphere grid and monster arena, obtaining the summons and defeating the dark aeons and Penance etc. (I mean you're not excluding the international content, are you?) and just seeing all the shit there is to actually do. It has probably the most extensive end game in the entire series.

40 hours is enough for a player to just play through the game normally and maybe dabble in some side content, but nothing beyond that unless they approach it in a hyper optimized fashion.
>>
>>10866746
because FFX is a terrible game.
>>
>>10869543
>cheese spot
Please share your secrets.
>>
>>10869543
I remember reading about it, some spot near a tower where Tidus won't move after dodging a lightning, but it's still 200 dodges with random timings. It's boring, it's time-consuming and if you fuck up it's rage inducing. The other celestial weapons are either shorter and quicker to retry or at least involve some amount of gameplay beyond press button when screen goes white.
>>10867772
You can just get Brother for easy mode. He's like a border collie, he's so fast you can get the entire enemy team to chase after him to the point they're all clustered together like sheep. Then just pass to Tidus for the easy shot while standing right in front of the goalie. This strategy is particularly funny against the Ronsos because of how slow they are.
>>
>>10866746
Ffvii had good mini games, the RTS fort condor, submarine battle, snowboarding, full arcade at golden saucer, battle square, chocobo racing. Ffviii has triple triad, which is lit af.
>>
>>10866753
mario rpg and FFIX are good minigames,FFX was just insane minigames with hard difficulty well kinda understandable since sakagushi wasn't around by the time FFX was being made.
>>
File: file.png (444 KB, 740x517)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
9 was full of shit minigames too
>>
>>10866746
Played it for the first time late 2022. I can get why some parts were celebrated at the time, but the game is fucking terrible overall.
>>
>>10866746
I did all of it and even swallowed
I love FFX, I will suck it off any day
The only one that really wrecked me was the butterfly catching. But I think I still did it in the end
>>
>>10867612
That's not a weird thing, that's a great thing. It means FFX has lots of reasons to go back to previous areas. It's the part that everyone omits when they do the whole "iTs jUSt LikE Ff13" schtick
>>
>>10871102
>Played it for the first time late 2022.
I have never pitied someone so much. Please go back to Fortnite
>>
>>10866746
These are not as bad as Zelda breath of the wild koroko seed quest
>>
File: 1707522015151952.jpg (79 KB, 708x800)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>10870347
>hippolady
that's offensive
>>
>>10871127
I'm 30 my friend. Inever had it as a kid, and never bothered before then. If your entire game hinges on "you had to be there" to be good, it wasn't a good game, sorry.
>>
>>10871238
and I bet at the same time you say that you also defend a bunch of Gamecube "classix"
>>
>>10871270
I didn't own a Gamecube, so I have no nostalgia blinding me. I don't think I have played a gamecube game besides smash at a friend's house, maybe a bit of Luigi's Mansion at the kiosks at the store.
>>
>>10871371
What were you playing in 2001?
>>
>>10871127
I think you meant to say, "Please come back to Fortnite", kiddo. You didn't grow up in the 90s.
>>
>>10869983
>jump rope
>chocobo hot and cold
>good
No.
>>
>>10871192
It's pronounced hi-POLA-dee and it's a highly revered name in her culture.
>>
>>10871384
How old do you think FFX players were in 2001? How could I NOT have grown up in the 90s?
>>
>>10871379
My n64 still, probably Wario Advance 4. When I got a PS2 it was later on, and maybe some stuff like ATV Offroad Fury or Lord of the Rings. I didn't have a lot of vidya.
>>
>>10871409
Feels bad dawg. FFX was a mindblowing moment in video games. And it still holds up just fine
>>
>>10871417
Overrated in my experience. It has some good moments but overall not what I'd call mindblowing. The real meat of the game being trapped behind hours of grinding is honestly fucking awful.
>>
>>10871424
>The real meat of the game
It's a JRPG. The real meat of the game is the storyline. There's no meat to a JRPG. No JRPG holds up without a story to propel you
>>
>>10871437
Gameplay determines a game's merit first. about 60% of the game is grind, and it's fucking bad for doing it. The story in FFX is pretty shit.
>>
>>10871443
The gameplay is typical JRPG fare, in fact it was faster and better than what was available at the time too. But it doesn't work on its own. If you didn't like the story, fine, but you're still dumb for trying to get to the "meat of the game" after coming to that conclusion
>>
>>10871474
Other FF games don't have this problem. There are extras and hidden things in every game, but it makes you feel like you're missing out if you don't go through the grinding. I called it quits after getting a few of the Ultima weapons.
>>
>>10871493
Sounds to me like they made compelling extra content. You do make a good point, I never gave a shit about the optional end-game content in FF6, 7, 8, 9. Those games could've done a better job at it
>>
>>10871520
It feels less like the extra content is compelling and more like it could've been a part of the normal game without all the grind. It's just tedium.
>>
>>10871401
You're making a bold assumption that anyone believes you played FFIX or FFX when they released based on your consistently ignorant posts.
>>
>>10871545
>I don't believe you!
Ok? Sounds like a you problem
>>
>>10871549
It's literally your problem that you keep claiming to be a certain age but doing nothing but spouting ignorance about the time. Stop being "that kid" who claims his dad works at Nintendo.
>>
>>10871549
>I totally grew up in the 90s, guys!
>I also say "ok" instead of okay
Okay
>>
>>10871557
>>10871562
Are you guys just mad that most people think the Playstation Final Fantasies are better than the Nintendo ones?
I can't gauge exactly what you're butt-mad over
>you said ok instead of okay
ok
>>
>>10871571
>Are you guys just mad that most people think the Playstation Final Fantasies are better than the Nintendo ones?
No? Why would anyone be mad about this?
The problem was already explained in plain English to you; You're claiming to have grown up in the 90s, yet continuously show nothing but ignorance towards what it was like growing up in the 90s. You then knee-jerk call people zoomers for not playing FFIX until recently for their first time. I've never played the Parasite Eve games. I guess I'm a zoomer now too, according to your ignorant ass? You read like an unsupervised child on a tablet and show half the intelligence.
>>
>>10871562
What an utterly bizarre thing to attribute as proof of what decade someone grew up in. My dad is 75 and he says "ok" when communicating in text over the internet.
>>
>>10871576
Yea you're mad
Also your post is the first time anyone saying the word zoomer. Sounds like a you problem
>>
Stoned philosopher take: video games mimic reality in various ways. They're a form of escapism as well, but at the core is the fundamental imitation of life and all of its facets.

Life is filled with annoying and unfair shit. The Japs, having been nuked, castrated and domesticated by the west, know this well.

Japanese video games believe in teaching important life lessons to the player. The main throughlines of JRPGs are designed to be accessible to deliver the most meaningful of those life lessons (the story and its themes) to as many people as they can reach. There's some challenge, but it tends to be fair.

The extra content is similarly meant to teach life lessons, but these are the ones that most people will refuse to learn or tolerate (time limits, frustration, random nonsense, permanently missable items, the bullshit of daily existence) and so the rewards only go to the most dedicated and hardcore, which is itself an important life lesson that too few people will internalize. Just as only a small percentage of people have what it takes to ever acquire genuine skill or mastery over their own lives, so too do very few people have what it takes to put up with the bullshit of the average JRPG post game.

If you don't like suffering through FFX's post game content, it's because you're average.
And that's okay. Not everybody can be special.
>>
I forget so someone enlighten me, were the celestial weapons even that good?
I know the dark aeon rewards were amazing, no clue what the celestial weapons did though
>>
>>10871616
They broke the damage cap limit from 9,999 per hit to 99,999, iirc.

I think you can break the damage cap by farming for certain items, but the celestial weapons also came with specific gimmicks, some of which were (again iirc, I haven't played it in decades,) necessary to defeat certain optional bosses, or at least made it considerably easier to do so.
>>
>>10871640
oh right.
The Dark Aeons were the cherry on top, they gave you Break Hp Limit, Ribbons, and other stuff
Yeah no wonder the minigames were hard, the rewards were amazing
>>
None of them were even close to being on the level of lightning bolt dodging in terms of annoyance
>>
>>10871616
Celestial weapons have a hidden property that allows them to ignore target DEF when attacking with regular attacks or skills. That's why they're so much better than regular weapons with Break Damage Limit.
>>
>>10869543
There's a cheese spot? I just equipped a no encounter armor and went to the spot where 3 lightnings strike in a row and was done in a jiffy.
>>
>>10869894
The spot I'm talking about is where the lightning is not random. It is activated a certain point and then activates immediately afterward. So it is 2 presses immediately and then you run back and do it again.

>>10871912
Apparently there is more than 1. The one I am referencing is 2 in a row.
>>
File: d0pw251zuzp51.jpg (950 KB, 3225x2156)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
Does Blitzball have any interesting secrets or anything besides Wakka's overdrives/sigil and Tidus learning Jecht Shot 2? Anything interesting about Wakka as a player?

Also how do opponents learn your moves? Does it just happen when they play a game regardless of whether you use a move? Or do you have to actually use? I'm thinking of anti venom 2.
>>
>>10871616
>double experience
>breaks 9999 damage limit
>overdrive goes up 3x faster
>one additional ability that differs by character, for example Yuna's makes her spells all cost 1MP
>>
>>10869506
>my dude
Faggot detected
>>
theyre all hard as a kid
as an adult, butterflies are easy
aurons hunts just take some time
wakkas is easy
cactuars you get no matter what, you dont need to succeed

only ones with any real challenge are chocobos and lightning. there are technoques, you just need to get good

ff9s 1000x jump rope, now that is some bullshit
>>
>>10872341
I remember a ton of different Blitzball players having iconic references and names.

>>10872376
You seeking out faggots, are ya?
>>
>>10872341
wakkas has his own special shot called Aurochs spirit. only other thing are how wildly different players stats are at level 99, like keepa having 99 shot and for the most part the kilika beasts have the best players at that level. there were two more teams cut from the game, bevelle bells and yocun nomads, whose logos can still be seen in game such as in the aurochs locker room

stealing a move requires to be matched up on that player, be an appropriate level, then pressing the qte when it pops up. one of the skills, i think anti drain, cant be copied. only way it can be learned is to have a player sent away and hope the ai teaches them it.

lastly there is one permantly missable player in the calm lands, but hes shit
>>
>>10872435
>stealing a move
Yes but only Brother and one other player start off with Anti Venom 2, so how do you teach it to Tidus? Let opponents learn it from you?
>>
>>10872443
anti skills like that are usually obtained by attacking them with said element

put tidus on a player with antivenom, then use venom tackles, passes, shots, etc on that player. when anti venom works usually a little cg effect pops up around the player and makes a sound. look for the tech qte. i dont remember the rule about levels but have to be at least the same level or something

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.