[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: CubLpXmXYAAiy6e.jpg (52 KB, 1002x636)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Still the best.
>>
File: rwspgkhppox51.jpg (74 KB, 640x640)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
>>10872876
Defend having dice roll combat in a 6th gen 3D game.
>bro just level up and then your attacks will start hitting
This was unacceptable then and it’s unacceptable now.
It made sense for Arena and Daggerfall, but by Xbox we had the capability for full dynamic hitboxes.

Game is great and atmospheric and for its time, extremely immersive, but defend the combat I dare you.
>>
File: 1659640024215.webm (997 KB, 506x430)
997 KB
997 KB WEBM
Discuss.
>>
>>10872916
>Defend having dice roll combat
Worked well. Otherwise what's the point of weapons skills?
>>
>>10872916
What's wrong with it? It sounds like you want it to be an action rpg when it isn't one. It's really not that bad.
>>
>>10872946
never noticed this, based
>>
>>10872916
By making hit accuracy a variable based on player character stats, it allowed for more stable weapon stats. With tighter control on stable weapon stats, balance against opponent stats was far more natural without extensive abuse of level-scaling and without turning tougher enemies into damage sponges. Balance against magical combat alternatives was also far better.

Moreover, legendary artifacts and weapons were consistent. You never had to play silly games like waiting for a higher level to collect umbra, nor watch as goldbrand becomes less and less impressive as you level up.
>>
>>10872946
That's a very nice little detail.
>>
>>10872916
then go play shitrim bro
acting like that system is any more engaging. it aint.
you literally just hit a button its boring as fuck
and oblivion is even worse, its like hitting dudes with a pool noodle
at least MW has stats that actually affect things
thats what gives the game replayability: classes differ radically based on your stats

sure DF did the graphical/audio feedback much better, but i doubt your whiny ass played that one either
just fuck off back to your gay PS3/xbawks treefiddy games
as if combat has ever been the focus of TES
thats literally how arena even happened
>make an underwhelming action game
>ppl playtest it
>ppl dgaf about shitty combat
>ppl ask for more sidequests
>ted invents an entire fucking universe
>>
anyone know of any good difficulty hacks?
ive tried
>https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52743
but its a majorly mixed bag

the changes to creature abilities are good imo
but whatever tf he did to the AI completely borks their ability to track you if youre on anything other than totally level ground. cliffracer syndrome, where they often cannot hit you even while right on top of
you. that is when theyre not running in the opposite direction

the changes to armor durability make heavy armor a lot more viable, but youll now be repairing after every 2 encounters. supposedly armorer skill lvls quicker, but not enough. increased chance to repair at least
the (slightly) nerfed bound armor with a few actual heavy pieces is still pretty much the best way to go. medium armor is now just useless

he took out fortify attribute and skill from custom spells, enchants and potions, which makes the static ones much more valuable. but he forgot about fortify fatigue. oops

changes to birthsigns are great. no complaints
same with having ash creatures spawn after a few months of ignoring the MQ. awesome idea
economy fixes work well enough in that you cant just spam training or fasttravel for pennies, but it also breaks any trainers that are also merchants (as they now all train in merc + speech, since those skills are maxed)
>>
>>10872946
khajiit proportions are disturbing
>>
>>10872916
Its funny that gothic put out the thinnest cover-up of the morrowind hit mechanics with its """critical hit""" system and retards were completely bamboozled
Reminds me of game journalists howling about deus ex style reticle spread rpg shooter mechanics and bethesda just not showing you the reticle in fallout 3 despite programming it exactly like vtmb bloodlines under the hood and gjs being happy
>>
>>10873219
I thought Oblivion had the same stamina system as Morrowind except it detracted a flat dmg% on every hit instead of detracting the to-hit%. The damage averages out to the same and yet faggots ate it up. People are truly retarded.
>>
>>10872974
This, also you start off as a prisoner who gets off of a boat, probably malnourished and weak from the forced captivity. You're not going to be some crazy grand master at anything in that state, but the skills you set for your character do help you with early game retardation syndrome that plagues an oddly high number of Normans.
>>
>>10873269
yea its honestly worse imo
in MW you just dont hit sometimes. ok fine. try again.

in oblivion you still do damage, which gives you the illusion of doing anything. but it quickly falls to basically nothing, and combined with oblivions lvl scaling and enemies health regen, it results with you chipping single digit health per attack off of enemies that have hundreds of health and are constantly recovering, further reinforcing that you should just be spamming attack constantly
ie pool noodle gameplay

the solution in both games is to just pop a stamina potion
just fucking hotkey it, idk why that idea is so beyond people

in my case, for oblivion, ill just forgo armor and weapons most of the time. they really dont help and only slow you down ime
>make yourself a nice shield spell (max is 80 iirc, so even 30-40ish is cutting dmg ~ in half) to cast when going into battle
>make a spell of weakness to magic 100% 3secs, weakness to (element) 100% 3secs on touch
>make a spell/enchant a weapon of same element as above
you can even double tap em on the weakness spell to be doing insane multiples of damage per hit
>>
>>10872916
Stop being brain damaged.

>>10872974
Oblivion's level scaling is a crime on the level of Blood 2's random damage scaling. Unjustifiably bad design.

>>10873219
That gets funnier when you consider how completely dogshit the gunplay also is in Fallout 3. The firearms handle fucking atrociously, even the sniper rifle is awful because it has a minimum spread even with maxed skills and stats, and most of the guns are extremely weak in addition to that.
>>
>>10873325
>wtf, I'm not playing the class I picked/made, and now the combat doesn't work?
>WTF, MY CHARACTER IS EXHAUSTED AND NOW HE WHIFFS?
>HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT, STAMINA POTIONS IS BAD GAME DESIGN!
Normalfags are truly unbelievable.
>>
File: leave my boy alone.webm (3.87 MB, 854x480)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB WEBM
>>10872946
>khajit having a panic attack.
Love it.
>>10873325
>major weapon skills, strength/agility focus, warrior birth sign
That's what I start with when I want to hit things, like here when I tested openmw coop with friendo.
>>
>>10872916
hey retard you can go talk about other games instead of this one if you dont like it
>>
>>10872916
>BE LIKE A GAME I WANT IT TO BE!!!!! REEEEEEEE!!!
There is a reason games suck ass now, you're the reason.
>>
>>10875456
I played this back when it was NEW on Xbox. The combat has always been ass.
I didn’t even say it was a bad game, I said it was a great game with shit combat because it’s true.
Stop the fucking cope you guys, dice roll combat in 3D is GARBAGE.
>>
>>10875603
>I played this back when it was NEW on Xbox.
doubt it
youre just some fag who wants to shit up the like one MW thread we have a month on this board
go be a faggot in a sanic/mario/zelda/consolewar thread or whatever. plenty of those

>The combat has always been ass
you can say the same thing about the entire series. and we have, ITT no less, with various arguments. doesnt make TES less enjoyable. no one plays these games to play a challenging skill-based action game
the problem is that removing dicerolls leaves pretty much nothing left to even play around with. all playstyles homogenize.
rolling new characters in TES games literally IS a core part of the gameplay loop, so thats a pretty massive fucking issue.

the oblivion solution is arguably the worst, but even then theres enough actual RPG mechanics left for there to be anything to do whatsoever. different characters/builds can still feel distinct from one another
skyrim doesnt even have that
theres absolutely nothing left at that point
even worse, the homogenization of all characters extends even further into the quest design. any character can do/be literally anything, and if you play long enough on one character, will.

theres a reason the stealth archer meme is so omnipresent in TESV
it was still stupidly OP in oblivion, especially on PC with m&k aiming. but you still had attribute points which would dissuade non stealth/archer characters from pulling out their bow
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (165 KB, 1003x730)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
I'm convinced people who complain about missing in combat are either trolls or are just shit at games in general. or just didn't play the game. first time playing Morrowind with no clue how the class or leveling systems work and and the enemies miss almost as much as my dude does. my only real complaints are tied to running consuming stamina while the default walk speed is utter ass. maybe that changes with more agility. I'm only level 2 at this point and I've gotta go get some dude's head from a Dunmer tomb. tried once and got my shit pushed in by a skellyman archer. the ghosts were pushovers, though.
>>
File: balmora.jpg (355 KB, 1922x1070)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>10875821
the landscapes are pretty (if a bit grey and barren at times). I REALLY like how the dungeons aren't linear corridors. straight up got lost in Arkngthand.
>>
>>10872916
It forces you to prioritise. If you want to use a particular weapon type. You have to think about that from the start. You have to build a character around that. If you want to go all in on speech and magic or whatever else, then you're not going to be good at combat. Basically it makes your choices matter.

In Skyrim and even Oblivion, you can get away with not prioritising the skills you want to use, and as a result you can easily be an all rounder who's great at everything. Not possible in Morrowind, at least not from the start.
>>
File: openmw_starwindmerc1.png (2.93 MB, 1920x1080)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
>>10875821
>I'm convinced people who complain about missing in combat are either trolls or are just shit at games in general.
A lot of it is from people starting fights with no stamina. That’s a real easy snare you can put yourself into if you want to run everywhere, especially if you want to start out wearing heavy armor.
I got into Starwind recently and it feels like they changed the stamina just enough to where it won’t drain if you’re running, but this is also coming from a character with athletics as a minor skill.
>>
>>10875821
Once you up Speed and Endurance some, not even by that many levels, that smooths out, Athletics improves by itself as you walk or swim, which helps that.

If you don't have the patience for that shit, then picking The Steed as your birth sign confers a whopping 25 Speed extra on character creation, and that makes a hell of a difference, but the drawback is that The Steed isn't like a Constant Effect bonus stacking onto your base Speed attribute, it ups it directly, thus it is "wasted" as you level up enough.
That is if you care about powergaming/münchkining, and maybe you don't, but Morrowind is one of those games which makes that fun.
One more approach is to play an Orc, and then find the Boots Of Blinding Speed, as Orcs resist blindess (but not fully).

I would personally suggest to not increase your Speed attribute over maybe 70 or so, as it makes it kind of awkwardly fast, but that's just me.

Fighter's Guild gives away lots of Restore Fatigue potions for free, so becoming a member for those, regardless of what class and build you're actually playing, is pretty worth it. If you're an Alchemist sort of guy, then many common foodstuffs and ingredients can be used to make such potions.
>>
>>10876015
BoBS are a bit too much for regular use imo.
200+ speed kinda trivializes your whole build as you can just dance around anything

my compromise is that ill just make potions
keeps it as a more limited resource
>moonsugar
>kagouti hide/shalk resin
>saltrice
>scuttle (or whatever restore fatigue ingredient)
fortify speed + restore fatigue
lets you zoom around everywhere, and provided you havent done the fortify INT cheese to make 90000000000sec duration potions, you can just wait a bit and itll wear off

like most RPGs, i find the most rewarding styles of play come from nerfing myself in line with my characters role
do i know i can fortify my fatigue 500pts for 1 sec (its only ~15 magick per cast) and become ~300% more likely to succeed in basically every mechanic in the game, from speech, alchemy, armorer, enchant, mercantile etc?
of course i do. but unless my character is a talented mage, i tend not to do it. and even then ill try to keep it on-theme
>>
got a pretty neat thing going on right now
>https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/50579
spawns in a ton of corprus beasts, and adds a bunch more new types of corprus beasts like casters etc
almost all NPCs are now corprus beasts and all the towns are overrun. MQ has been changed to reflect the nerevarine failing, so the back path is the only way

plus
>https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036
buffs all corprus beasts and all ash creatures majorly. dagoth bros now all have stupidly OP constant effects to reflect their amulets. ash creatures actually use threatening spells instead of spamming useless shit like burden at you. they also seem to regen magicka. even the lesser walkers/zombies have been two-shotting me. ordinators/guards just OHKO me

rolled a breton favoring AGI + LCK, under the sign of the lover. weapon skills are marksman and spear as a minor. picked light armor cuz shes not very strong

just had to run along the rooftops of balmora as it was completely overrun. had about 40 of em chasing me lol. broke into nalcaryas to grab some potions and alchemy gear. headed to caldera to try to raid verrick gemaines shop for the amulet of recall and ring of aversion (and whatever else i can find)

anyone ever tried this?
like a totally different game
>>
>>10875821
Your move speed is lowered by what percentage of your max encumbrance is being used, so don't carry junk
Athletics skill counteracts the encumbrance effect when running

There is a cheap way to get 24 minutes of 100 point levitation you may find fairly quickly if you're curious, which is fast for an unburdened character and consumes no stamina.
>>
>>10872876
Agreed; especially with mods. The same way New Vegas mogs 3 or 4
>>
>>10878161
Even better is to check the enchanter's inventory at any mages guild often until you come upon the "scroll of windwalk/windform" once found you ca usually purchase it and it will immediately restock. You need alot of money but I buy about 200-300 of them at a time.

500pts of levitation and invisibility for 60 seconds. No cliff racers to deal with and you can cross the entire continent very quickly.
>>
>>10878285
windform is so dope
i didnt realize most vendors of them restock tho

i usually make a ring inspired by that for my levitation
the ultimate panic/gtfo button
>levitation 1pt 10sec
>invisibility 10sec
>fortify SPD 100pts 10sec
way cheaper per use than just trying to make a superpowered levitation spell
pretty sure its faster too. ive never been too clear on what exactly 1pt of levitation is equivalent to
>>
>>10878046
raided gemaines shop
poor guy was turned already. RIP to my fellow breton. he blasted me with some OP mysticism spell that i thankfully mostly resisted. managed to snag a veloths robe for healing
aggrod the whole town by that point so i led them into the mine/crater then used a levi potion to ditch them

headed west to check out gnaar mok as id heard rumors it was safe.
it definitely wasnt, but there was a gondolier on a nearby island who took me back to seyda neen. dropped off my stuff and went to check out vivec city. a real shitshow, but i found some survivors holding out in the sewers. got some new spells and scrolls. raided aggrippinas clothing shop too for some enchanting shenanigans for later
finally getting to a point where i can defend myself somewhat
but now i need to gtfo. tight hallways + corprus beast ordinators is bad news
>>
File: 1442977496716.jpg (35 KB, 351x351)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>10875961
>Starwind
pill me anon
>>
>>10878640
not that fag but iirc its a total conversion mod for MW thats set in the KOTOR universe
looked pretty legit from what i saw
i believe it requires MWSE, so no openMW if thats your thing. but dont quote me on that
>>
File: openstarwind_tattooinepad.png (2.43 MB, 1920x1080)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
>>10878640
Exactly this >>10878746 but the otherway around: It won’t work without OpenMW. It’s expectedly jank but otherwise very fitting, something about combining these two Xbox/PC RPGs really “clicks”.
>>
>>10878770
my bad
>>
anyone know where exactly in TES construction set i would have to look for specific mods questIDs? i loaded up the mods in question in construction, but all im seeing is the different actors and models and whatnot

ran into some NPCs that were definitely not supposed to be there. turns out im retarded and accidentally left uviriths legacy and building up uviriths legacy in my mod loadout for my fucking zombie apocalypse playthrough. figured i might as well make the most of it.
desu a giant fortified telvanni tower/town in the middle of molag amur is pretty much EXACTLY where id be hiding out in the blight apocalypse anyways. and itll give me something to do in the meantime while i build up enough levels/health to do the back path which is required in the zombie mod, since your PC isnt nerevarine

already figured out how to console myself into telvanni and raise to the appropriate rank. i just dont know where exactly i have to look for the quest IDs so that i can get the initial construction underway obviously lunela hleran and the duke are both dead/zombified, so i cant just talk to them to start it lol
>>
>>10878843
lel wait im a fucking idiot
its a vanilla quest
the change is to the tower it builds for you. not the quest itself
>Journal, "HT_Stronghold", 300
might just try the second stage first (200) as i remember the final tower gives you a bunch of OP shit that i dont want, and i think you can still build the town out before becoming archmagister
>>
>>10878046
Interesting. I'll have to try that some time, sounds very fatalistic.
>>
>>10876369
Did the boots up your speed by THAT much? I seem to remember they made you really fast, but not 200 Speed fast.
>>
>>10879470
its +200 SPD iirc
so even if youre maxed out its still tripling your speed
makes you miss when bethesda was unafraid of throwing silly things like "balance in a single-player RPG" out the window
fuck balance
gimme fun

>>10879462
its really really tough
theres almost no merchants left in the game, you can only get most spells by random drops from killing casters, and all the roads and settlements are a mob scene. you basically have to just run from the zombies at low lvls and grind up your skills on random animals/creatures as you simply dont stand a chance against the 6th house as it should be imo. it adds a lot more new corprus beasts variations too. forgot to mention i have an economy rebalancing mod on top all that too, so the few trainers left are prohibitively expensive

i usually play on max difficulty, but with that 6th house mod on top, im still struggling at around 20ish on the difficulty slider
granted my character is kind of a wimp. i just barely got her END up to 50, so the extra health should help. problem is that the new mobs start spawning in to scale with your lvl
cant wait to see how broken the dagoth bros are. from what i read in the mod description, they have hax bullshit constant effects on par with, or even exceeding, your avg late-game nerevarine
>>
>>10872916
there's nothing to defend, you're an idiot.
>>
>>10880149
your*
>>
>>10872916
The dire rolls aren't the problem, the problem is how the outcome of the dice rolls is communicated to the player.
If you miss a swing for example there should be an animation for that and not just your player swinging their weapon as normal but without anything happening. That's just terrible and Morrowind fags still won't admit that.
>>
>>10878460
Dude is this mod that intensive? Like is there dialogue and scripts that go along with it? You keep making it sound so dope.
>>
>>10878460
Also, screenshots? If you don't mind friend.
>>
>>10880693
nah
im just RPing it like a dork to keep the thread bumped desu
they did considerably more than i expected tho. like changing the plot to direct you to the backpath is a great idea and fits in with the world/pre-existing plot.
advice/rumors prompts with the few remaining NPCs are changed. theres about a dozen two to three line dialogues as ive seen. the survivors holdouts are slightly changed, with gondoliers to fasttravel you to each. coolest one i found so far was the one in vivec. apparently solstheim has its own survivors but ive yet to make it up there. entire west side of vvardenfell was kind of a fucking death trap, so ive been hanging around the ashlands/molag amur to lvl up a bit. out there you might occasionally forget its a zombie mod lol

i can imagine it might get very boring after a while were it not for the difficulty mods on top as pretty much everyone is dead, so no real quests to speak of. gotta make your own fun which is why im now building a town in molag amur lol. the 6th house mod really brings it together because its balanced so that 6th house mobs are endgame difficult as far as i can tell, maxed AGI LCK STR, similar to what corprus does to you in basegame. also regen health, which is just mean esp with large crowds. but with the zombies mod, theyre by far the most frequent enemy and youll be paired up against dozens of them the moment your lvl 1 dumbass steps off the boat. a spiteful inverted difficulty curve thats starting to flatten out as i gear up. but like i said it scales with you and the mobs have already become much more threatening by lvl8

tl;dr
im digging it. def not for everyone tho
that guy ITT who was bitching about dicerolls head would explode fighting maxed AGI/LCK corprus beasts
>>
>>10880695
was gonna but idk why they werent working and/or where they were saving. i did the change to morrowind.ini so they should work but idk

youre not missing much either. this install is fucked and MGXE kept crashing, so now im playing vanilla engine, with vanilla draw distance, at 4:3 resolution
like a give a fuck tho, imma /vr/ trooper
shitty draw distance actually lends itself p well to the spookiness imo
>>
>>10880617
Out of all the responses to my post this is the only thoughtful response.
It’s true, if there was even a little bit more visual dynamism to the dice roll swings it would have livened up the combat.
Great response.
>>
>>10873219
Yes, screeching about rpg shooter reticles used to be standard game journalist opinion
Then some action games had it because it's just useful for showing how movement impacts accuracy and they forgot they used to whine about it and bethesda then put it in 4 straight up to zero complaints. I seriously fucking loathe them
>>
>>10880926
Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR were what I played around the same time and they were the opposite in this regard. I also just sat there when the combat played out as it wasn’t anywhere as interactive, so even back then I accepted Morrowind’s limitations. Skyrim is when they finally made satisfying feedback for melee and like Morrowind I didn’t play it strictly for the fights.
>>
>>10880926
>Out of all the responses to my post this is the only thoughtful response.
lmao
you mean the only one that played kissass to your stock opinion?
everyone else either called you a b8ing fag you are, and/or explained the advantages of having them over later TES games, with their ARPG solution to the problem

why do we have to have this same conversation every time morrowind is mentioned anyways?
>wow muh 24yo RPG is soooo dated
no shit
if you dont like dicerolls then dont play old CRPGs.
its like playing icewind dale and complaining that it requires you to understand D&D. what did you expect?
theres also like a dozen different mods that overhaul the combat system entirely, if thats your bag. so either go fix it for yourself, or quit bitching
>>
>>10875603
>on Xbox
kek you idiot

it's a PC game, now oblivion and skyrim? those are console kiddie games
>>
>>10881248
It was the same exact game on Xbox. Exactly the same.
>>10880990
But KOTOR never sold itself as a real time action rpg. The sequenced combat of KOTOR in my opinion had a better flow, and when you missed attacks, the enemy would bob and weave out of the way. You got feedback even though it was sequenced combat.
Morrowind sold itself as real time open world total free movement and then had a combat system that consisted of pressing the attack button and seeing if it hit with no visual feedback which is at total odds with the rest of the game.

Maybe I am being harsh maybe I’m not, but even back then I distinctly remember thinking it was ass. It has a cheapness to it which is a shame since the rest of the game is so engaging.

If it makes anyone feels better, I think Skyrim is complete garbage and that Morrowind is the superior game. I think Daggerfall is better than Skyrim, especially these days with the unity version.

I still don’t think they have totally mastered reactive combat in TES games. In the future I hope they add dodges, rolls and combat stances to make more use of stats and not just have “walk up to enemy and spam attack button”.

I think Oblivion was the best compromise of streamlining the formula apart from the level scaling for enemies and will always be my favorite.

I’m sorry morrofags, that dice roll combat does not feel good.
>>
>>10881346
Lots of people with vague memories of the Xbox version never played it with some qol stuff they patched in like a functional quest journal. There is an Xbox patch I believe that you would get if you play it in a newer console with backwards compatibility
>>
>>10881359
I mean, I did play it on PC years later, and it still has that ass combat.
>>
>>10881346
>But KOTOR never sold itself as a real time “action rpg”
Neither did Morrowind, even on the original Xbox. The “action” has never been the biggest selling point here.
>Morrowind sold itself as real time open world total free movement and then had a combat system that consisted of pressing the attack button and seeing if it hit with no visual feedback which is at total odds with the rest of the game.
Weapon skills are consistent with everything else. If you miss an attack, the same animations play without the “collision” effects. Cast a spell that fails, it still plays the animation without the spell effects. Try to pick a lock and fail, same animation plays and you get a “lockpick failed” notification. It’s all “rolls and skill checks” throughout. Even modern mods still has the combat looking silly.
>>
>>10881368
then fucking mod it out
ffs dude theres literally 2 full pages on nexus alone just from searching the prompt "combat". you got every flavor of overhaul imaginable, from slight mechanics changes to total overhauls. multiple of each, often in ways you can combine them

you just came here to bitch. dont play coy
>>
>>10880617
You have that feedback through the blood splat and the impact sound, don't be so fucking retarded.
>>
Morrowind not appealing to modern brainrot sensibilities is part of the beauty. The reason we stopped having good games is because people stopped having taste. Not a condemnation of the average dude either, the entire world has been getting fed garbage and told its art for a really long time now, it's not exactly a natural environment where people just decided they wanted to eat poop one day.
>>
>>10881549
That's feedback when you do hit, not when you miss. The lack of feedback when missing isn't feedback. As it is your character does the same perfect swing right at the enemy as when you hit but somehow nothing happens. Good combat visuals would show that something happened to cause your character to miss. Either show the enemy visibly dodging or show a different attack animation that has your character miss his attack. The way Morrowind does it is just cheap trash.
>>
>>10882414
You're a pedantic retard and a niggerfaggot, hundreds of games of all kinds of genres, RPGs or not, do it the same way where there isn't a special swinging animation for missing, and you definitely do not go around in threads about those games crying about muh feedback.

Shut the fuck up and leave, you either lack the modest base IQ for interacting with an actual RPG, or you're troll desperate for attention.
>>
>>10882541
>hundreds of games of all kinds of genres, RPGs or not, do it the same way where there isn't a special swinging animation for missing

Name one real time game in 6th Gen that does this.
Name a single real time game in 6th gen that just doesn’t have any visual feedback whatsoever if you miss or hit.
>>
>me want ARPG
>*plays CRPG*
>umm wtf???? y this no ARPG??
and now its everyone elses problem, huh?

its a different genre of game, retard
take dork souls for ex
im sure your zoomer ass knows that one
cool game. has a buncha stats. buncha cool gear. but its not a CRPG. and more importantly it can never do what a stat-based CRPG can do.
once you learn how to play it, you can never go back to being bad at it.
for all the stats and numbers it has, if you can master the games action-based mechanics, thats it. doesnt matter how fucked up a class/build you play, your character will always be able to be relatively overpowered from the get-go.

stat-based/diceroll mechanics sidestep this issue and allow a player to make as nerfed of a class as they want. doesnt matter if youve played the game for 20+yrs. if your spear skill is 10, your character wont be able to do anything of note with a spear.
this is what allows you to create a character and roleplay as that character. and this is also what allows your character to grow throughout the playthrough, giving a sense of progression

>REEE but muh animations
>REEE muh audiovisual feedback
that other guys right: youre just a pedantic, whiny little bitch.
youve been getting in gay slapfights for half a week in a thread about a game you literally cant even.
maybe try a different thread about a different game? im sure if you give the most basic bitch loaned-out opinion about sonic or mario youll get all kinds of asspats from your fellow spedes
>>
File: Morrowind Combat.gif (1.63 MB, 240x180)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB GIF
>>10882652
>>
>spongebob memes
thatll show em
>>
>>10882652
Spot fucking on.
>>
>>10882868
That’s exactly what the combat is like though. Whether you are hitting or missing there is absolutely zero indication until your opponent collapses.
You walk up to an opponent and press a button and then the game starts automatically calculating numbers until you or your opponent dies.
It looks and feels like cheap shit.
Even King’s Field had better feeling combat.
>>
>>10882868
I also want to say, for skywind remake, the fans want absolutely nothing changed from the original Morrowind….except the combat kek
>>
File: scribban.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>10878046
>This mod takes place in a doomed Vvardenfell where the Nerevarine failed / never attempted to stop Dagoth Ur
>All of the Vvardenfell NPCs completely replaced with levelled corprus zombies
I thought about this once and might give this a go.
>Weather set to a permanently dreary foggy weather to give you that "this place is shit" vibe
>>10882918
>Whether you are hitting or missing there is absolutely zero indication until your opponent collapses.
>>10874647 Every swing here from the main player in this webm is staggering the enemy until they die. The attacks from the other player look flimsy because the game gives you that option: To fling a series of limp-wristed attacks, if you choose.
>>
>>10872916
I'll admit I got bamboozled by the fatigue meter when I made my first character but then my friend told me to stop being retarded and everything was fine.
>>
>>10882918
>there is absolutely zero indication until your opponent collapses
You are lying.
>>
>>10883329
>>
>>10882924
It's an understandable concession. People have been bitching and whining about MW combat for ages, and a lot of us don't mind Oblivion or Skyrim for its combat.
>>
File: 21e.jpg (486 KB, 873x1332)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>10883421
>zoomer with a 5 skill in short sword playing morrowind for the first time
>>
>>10883434
I’m in my 30s you blowhard.
Morrowind is a great game with ASS combat, deal with it.
>>
>>10882652
You're talking to two different people you mong. One guy was talking shit about the combat mechanics themselves, I just shat on the audiovisual aspect.
I never said anything against the diceroll mechanics. They can work just fine if implemented well as seen in plenty of CRPGs. Morrowind does not because it doesn't communicate the results well. These are two completely different criticisms.
Notice how you don't even have a rebuttal to the latter other than insults. Morrowind could have good combat if it kept the mechanics exactly the same but just showed what was happening better. Apparently even that's too much criticism of their golden cow for Morrowindfags. As I had predicted in my initial post, just yesterday, not half a week ago btw.
>>
File: 1581571132363.png (1.84 MB, 1637x1520)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>10883421
>Lvl.1
>absolute start of game
>don't tag Short Blade as a skill nor the Governing Attribute
>do completely shit with a Short Blade weapon because you have maybe 5, or at the very best 15 in that skill
Yeah, that'll happen, and the game doesn't exactly dance around that either.

Meanwhile, you could pick or build any kind of fighter class, go and buy the basic weapon(s) of the relevant tagged skills at the store at the start, so that you'd start with anything between 40 to 60 with those (ergo your character has some decent experience with them), the value depending on race, class, gender, and birthsign. Then you'd find that you'll hit that Kwama quite often as long as you have stamina, the game will indicate hits with a loud smacking sound, a blood splash, as well as the sounds made by enemies (who can be visibly staggered by hits, or block hits, just like you, they might also lose morale and flee). This improves quickly as you level, too, once you're level 5 you should have found a decent weapon and have some alright proficiency in it, and you would be carrying restore fatigue potions too if you had any sense, thus you should be able to reliably hit basically anyone or anything in the game 90% of the time, trending upwards as you level further.

You must either be a very dedicated troll, or you're suffering from an all new learning disability which has yet to be documented. It's very impressive that you fail to read what the game blatantly tells and shows you all the way up to that point.
>>
>>10883446
yeah morrowind sucks when you're a no level player with no relevant skills, no fatigue, and no good weapon for that aforementioned skill. The exploration aspect was enough for me to stick with it when I was 13 years old playing it on an Xbox with long loading times. Just look as it as a steep learning curve. It's an incredibly immersive RPG. The fact there's a team rebuilding the game with the Skyrim engine should tell you how good it is.
>>
>>10883456
It's more that your complaint is really retarded and minute. You could add on whiff animations to Morrowind's combat and it'd make extremely little difference in the gameplay and feedback because it already conveys it through all these other ways.
Would it be better? Sure, but their absence isn't confusing or glaring, it's in line with what you'd typically see in most CRPGs before it.
>>
>>10883560
>Would it be better? Sure
Watch out anon, you're setting yourself up to be crucified by suggesting that the perfection of Morrowind could be improved in any way.
>>
>um well ok its still a bad action game
>so HA
yea good thing it isnt one
otherwise we couldnt play it in a thousand different ways over the course of decades

that other guy was right when he said MW is GOAT at filtering shit-eaters. they literally cant even.
and why? because its not the start of a new era, its the end of an old one. if you werent so utterly filtered by MW, you wouldve also likely tried daggerfall, since it was free on beths website for years and years. if you did play DF, youd have realized how at its core, MW is basically just a very pretty looking DOS RPG.
its wordy, its got lots of numbers that are of the utmost importance, and its purposefully opaque in a lot of its quest design. and thatll always give it more roleplaying depth than anything that comes after it.
>>
How low IQ do you have to be to misunderstand this game's combat? What an embarrassing thread.
>>
>>10883649
You post like a jilted woman.
>>
I've always used Better Bodies and Better Faces because they look good without straying hard from the game's visual design or looking too high def, but are there more mods like that?

Something which improves Khajit and Aragonians in a similar manner, and improves some of the armor and creature meshes to a similar degree and in a similar style?
>>
>>10883558
I said morrowind is a good game that is super immersive.
I also said it has absolutely abysmal combat too.

For some reason if you state these two true facts together, it causes butthurt.
>>
>>10883421
oof
>>
File: openmw_starwinddesrt1.png (1.17 MB, 1920x1080)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>10878794
It’s good news if you’re into OpenMW features like smoother animations and multiplayer. Sheathed weapons (unsurprisingly) don’t work well with the TC’s lightsabers.
>>10884001
Fair opinion. I find the combat acceptable for 2002 and with everything else the game has going for it. The games afterwards have been consistent about this, combat always being “acceptable for current year” and still a step down compared to more combat-focused titles.
>>
>>10884075
>Fair opinion.
In a /vr/ first, we have found common ground.

I know it isn’t retro but I can’t wait to play the Star Wars Total Conversion for Starfield in 20 years. That fucking trash garbage game is dying to be made worthwhile and turned into a Star Wars game. It literally has every single mechanic you need for it down to force powers.
>>
>>10884146
I was never so exasperated playing a game as starfield, I wish Id never bought it and thats saying a lot considering I did most of what the game had to offer. Spending a whole game trying to find something to enjoy in it, I felt crazy.
>>
>>10872946
>>10873192
Too bad they forever got normal legs in the later games because Toddler Howard is a fucking hack.
>>
>>10881359
Morrowind is really great on Series S/X with backwards compatibility. You get native 4K (1440p on S) with 60fps, and loading times are basically instant. A really comfy way to play unless you depend on some retarded mod.
>>
>>10886468
Or I can patch the bugs and not have to deal with the Overflow Lootbag because I dared to decorate my home.
>>
You're in a land of giant mushroom trees, ride around on daddy long legs and explore ancient atlantean Dwarf tombs filled with bronze-age androids. It's still a breath of fresh ash-filled air from standard takes on fantasy.
>>
>>10872951
It is an action rpg
>>
>>10887767
>action RPG
That would be more Diablo, Dark Alliance, or Champions of Norrath.
>>
>>10887874
Very good, those are Action RPGs as well.
>>
>>10887954
>Morrowind
>Diablo
>both “action rpgs”, both have you managing hit chance
Makes sense.
>>
>>10872916
RPGs should have dice rolls. Simple as. No need to defend them. Defend later games not having dice rolls and your skill levels being meaningless because of it
>>
>>10872916
You are probably one of those subhumans who lack the ability to even imagine the outline of an apple
>>
>>10887874
Diablo 1 did not have whiff animations btw.
>>
>>10888517
>Defend later games not having dice rolls
They have dice rolls though.
>>
>>10889407
Neither did Diablo 2, same goes for its remaster.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.