[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 8bitsonic.png (1.32 MB, 1080x514)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
I still to this day don't understand why they were churning out so many bad Sonic games for the Game Gear/Master System. The very first one by Ancient was good with amazing music by Yuzo Koshiro but after that they'd been releasing piece of shit after piece of shit for literal years non-stop. Were these games even selling well? Sonic was a new franchise at the time and they were already tarnishing its reputation by doing this
>>
>>10873270
>Were these games even selling well?
According to that internal Sega document from 1997, no. They had warehouses full of GameGears bundled with Sonic 2 they didn't know what to do with.
>>
File: sonic-cd-amy-sonic.gif (2.86 MB, 640x308)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB GIF
>>10873270
2 is basically like 1 but harder. Chaos and Triple Trouble are good imo. Spinball and Mean Bean Machine aren't that different from the console versions aside from the stuff they obviously had to scale down for the smaller screen size and 8-bit hardware. The Drift games are okay from what I recall but definitely not as good as Sonic R or Power Drift. Some people really like the Tails games but I never really got into them. Blast and Labyrinth are the only ones most people seem to really hate.

>Sonic was a new franchise at the time and they were already tarnishing its reputation by doing this
Not really. I mean aside from those Tiger handhelds and what eventually became the Nomad, this was the only way you could play Sonic on the go back in the 90's. Some of them like Spinball and Mean Bean Machine probably worked even better that way when you consider the simpler arcade-style nature of those games. They might be "bad" compared to the console titles, but they're mostly harmless.
>>
>>10873558
That document also claims the Genesis games weren't selling well during the mid-90's, literally when I got my Genesis. I had classmates and a cousin with a Game Gear too. It seems more like they had extra because those were the most common/popular titles.
>>
>>10873270
>tarnishing its reputation with games nobody ever played
Interesting.
>>
>>10873270
Only outright bad games in the picture are Spinball and Blast. The rest range from great to playable.
>>
>spinball runs like shit on the genesis
>"let's port it to the gg!"
>>
>>10873575
>Blast and Labyrinth are the only ones most people seem to really hate.
Specifically Labyrinth. Blast is just seen as mediocre and a meme.
>>
Sonic Labyrinth is the best game in the Sonic series. You zoomers got brain problems.
>>
>>10875792
>>10875797
If you'd put those opinions on a scale, the reality would be somewhere in the middle.
Labyrinth is overhated to a comedical level starting from the premise, while the game itself is just meh at worst.
Perhaps PTSD from seeing words Sonic and Labyrinth together or following opinions of old e-celebs making fun of it is to blame.
>>
The idea that "seeing a character too much" is somehow devaluing it is such a zoomer/revisionist mindset. In the '90s, people weren't connected and constantly assaulted by comprehensive advertising algorithms and news headlines. Back then, if something wasn't heavily advertised, your best bet to discover it was maybe in a folding insert from another game, or even just by thumbing through retail circulars. Unless you were a diehard Sonic fan you probably had no clue half of those games even existed. And if you WERE a diehard Sonic fan, you probably loved the fact that they existed.

I still remember the day I was walking through K-Mart and just saw Sonic Drift on the shelves with no prior knowledge of it. Blew my mind.

>>10875712
This. Most of those games were absolutely fine, especially for portable systems of the early 90s. Easily equal to or better than corresponding portable Mario games of the era, and with more gameplay variety, too.
>Sonic Spinball
Was there something specifically bad about the Game Gear version, or are you just not a fan of the gameplay regardless?
>>
>>10873270
all sonic games are bad. you were just brainwashed by sega's marketing (and lack of quality titles) that hold right: the game was anything other than shovelware for retards.
>>
>>10875943
Better than mario.
>>
>>10875938
>if something wasn't heavily advertised, your best bet to discover it was maybe in a folding insert from another game, or even just by thumbing through retail circulars
that, or just good, ol fashioned worth-of-mouth. though most of my friends knew jack shit about the GG Sonics. This is what made it so fun to spread rumors not just about fake content in video games, but fake video games themselves. I had one older friend who used to assure me there was a "Sonic 4", and that it was called "Sonic & The Indians" or some shit like that, and to this day I have no idea if she was purposefully fucking with me or had simply misinterpreted the title/premise of one of those under-the-radar Sonic spin-offs like Labyrinth or something.

I specifically remember going to our town library and typing "Sonic" into the green-CRT catalogue computers in hopes that there might be a book or something with hard info about what games actually existed. Pre-internet times were wild.
>>
>>10873270
Why did Robotnik go from having a circular head to a really pointy one?
>>
>>10875962
Stopped circling around and got to the point.
>>
>>10875957
>fake video games
There were always a handful of kids who said there was a Sonic vs. Mario game or some shit, and that they had it, but their parents wouldn't let them bring it to school or some shit, lol. And based on the general scarcity of information, you could never COMPLETELY disbelieve them. I have to wonder how many letters video game magazines used to get back in the day from kids who just wanted to know if something existed or not.
>>
>>10875938
If you think Spinball was bad for Genesis, the Game Gear version will quickly show you how much worse it can get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqhs_UX3x_I
>>
>>10875979
Doesn't really look bad to me. And I never thought the Genesis one was bad in the first place so I don't know what you're trying to get at. Is there something wrong with the controls?
>>
>>10875982
The framerate is atrocious. I can feel a headache coming on just watching the video.
>>
>>10875938
>Was there something specifically bad about the Game Gear version, or are you just not a fan of the gameplay regardless?
I love 16-bit Spinball for a lot of reasons, but a version that simply plays worse and generally is a regression isn't something I can recommend to anyone, who isn't dedicated enough to try it regardless.
The graphics are pretty good for the system at least, as well as presentation, but not enough to play it.
>>
>>10873585
>erm I'VE seen a white rhino so their numbers are actually flourishing
>>
>>10873575
>Chaos
blatantly unfinished game. very few enemies and you can beat the levels in less than 20 seconds
>>
>>10875971
Criminally underrated post
>>
>>10875816
I agree to this. I wouldn't call it the best but it's not some terrible unplayable mess like people act like it is. Essentially it's just a slower Sonic 3D Blast for Game Gear

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.