[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240422_104320.jpg (1.38 MB, 1920x1080)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
Whatcha playing?
>>
>>10873562
jak and daxter, completion % says I'm at 74 so I'm near the end. It's OK, weakest of the big 3 PlayStation platformers of the time but does have nice technology.
>>
>>10873562
NES Bomberman. Made it to level 5 so far without being too retarded.
>>
>>10873562
>never had a ganesis
>play monster world IV on RA
>love it
>look into buying a genesis
>monster world IV never came out in the US
Genesis bros how do you live with yourselves?
>>
File: Ape Escape (USA)-0073.png (170 KB, 320x240)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
Ape Escape, great game
>>
File: shiren.gif (100 KB, 560x420)
100 KB
100 KB GIF
>>10873562
Shiren 4, I am at my limit.
>>
Donkey Kong Jr arcade core, working on the spring board level highest score is only 27,500
>>
File: this is how.webm (3.39 MB, 640x480)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB WEBM
>>10876227
With a $20 everdrive knockoff and a cheap microcenter 16GB micro SD card I bought in a bundle of 5 for like $8
>>
>>10876264
nta but I have a question:
Can these cheap MD flashcarts play Master System games? Like the power base converter
>>
>>10876267
Yeah buddy
>>
File: 1699441002198392.jpg (41 KB, 736x414)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>playing video games
>>
File: 1573865939125.jpg (754 KB, 1226x1753)
754 KB
754 KB JPG
>>10876339
watch Sailor Moon istead
>>
Soul Calibur II
>>
File: Untitled.png (279 KB, 1148x990)
279 KB
279 KB PNG
>>10873562
replaying ff6, finally got the airship back in commission. yesterday i got my ass beat by the tentacles boss two times before looking up how to beat him and i got a bit overleveled thanks to that, so dullahan was a cinch. well maybe that was because all my party members had a good fire move except edgar but idk, i remember him being rougher for some reason. maybe i just didn't think to use fire on a boss with flaming horses.
>>
Replaying the Megaman Battle Network series Almost done with the second one. Haven't replayed them since I was a kid and really enjoying it so far.

I'm about to get to the games where they split them into different versions. Which versions do you guys prefer? Blue or White? Red Sun or Blue Moon? Team Protoman or Team Colonel? Falzar or Gregar?
>>
>>10876443
>watching anime
I'd rather just watch a youtuber react to watching anime
>>
>>10876264
Nice boot time bro.
>>
File: BLACK JEW ONLINE.png (810 KB, 1080x967)
810 KB
810 KB PNG
>>10876339
i don't even play video games anymore, i just come here and shitpost about them. the things i used to love doing bring me no joy these days. i wish i could enjoy life again
>>
Klonoa (PSX)
Mario & Luigi SSS
Trapt
>>
File: gravy.png (50 KB, 350x400)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
The Guardian Legend and it is surprisingly awesome. Really like the premise for the game and all the art in the manual/on the cover especially the EU version. The music has been good, the visuals are nice, and the shmup parts have been a real challenge so far. All around a perfect little game and I'm excited to see it through to the end.
>>
>>10877141
ty the sd card is as slow as it gets
>>
>>10873562
Yay! My favoritr thread!
Apocalypse for PS1: pretty damn fun!
Ridgeracer for PSP
Persona I PSP: about a third of the way hrough, put it down for the moment but will finish. The question is do I Wanna go 100% and do the Ice Queen story as well.
Goldensun for GBA: Started it up, do like it but also put down for the moment as I just haven't had of time that rpgs demand.
Imperium for snes: a fun shmup with good difficulty. It's kicking my ass in a fun way.
>>
>>10873562
The first Klonoa. Not exactly the original version, but the remake on Switch. It was on sale for $10, so I bought it. Very cute and pretty solid game so far.
>>10876236
I actually played this game for the first time this year on a PS2. It’s very good and I loved it a lot. Became one of my favorite games of all time. The only thing I’d consider bad was the voice acting. Although the professor and Specter sounded okay.
>>
>>10873562
Terminator reskin of Journey to Silius and Ninja Gaiden 2
>>
>>10878049
I'm liking Ape Escape a lot and I'm impressed with the amount of level they have and most of them are a joy to navigate. However I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, I find it annoying that the net goes through enemies and doesn't register if they happen to be attacking at the same time (no matter the attack, even rockets), also forcing the player to go through levels twice EVEN when they have all the tools required for the level (and having to go back just for one monkey like the one at the top of the castle feels very forced); and finally anything that uses both analog sticks to control controls like shit
>>
Wanted to play a game I randomly remembered playing as a kid but my poor attempts to describe it to google failed miserably so here goes nothing.

It was probably on SNES or something similar and it was mostly platformer, I think. The significant feature was that you played as different characters each which could transform into different utility vehicles like one character could change into a drill so you could dig through a ground and so on. Remember it being kind of fun.

If any anon knows what this could possibly be called, would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>10878207
Little Nemo on NES? It has animal suits you can wear with abilities, including a mole with a drilling ability
>>
Still just as addictive and grindy as I remember. Also, fuck miltank.
>>
>>10878240
After playing Liquid Crystal the hack; I can't go back to vanilla but I do love that game.
>>
>>10878057
I saw the images for the ninja gaide one! Is it cool? Got any screenshots?
>>
>>10876518
MMBN3 has a few exclusive bosses, chips and one unique style change in each version. Blue version is a more complete package (Punk.exe, FolderBack chip, etc)
4-6 are all about Soul forms. The two versions of 4, 5, and 6 generally follow the same convention; one version has Souls focused on overwhelming strength, the other version has Souls focused on strategy and flexibility.
My personal favs are:
Blue
Red Sun (strength)
Colonel (strategy)
Gregar (strength)
My only reccomendation is to play Blue over White. You can't go wrong with the rest of them.
Happy busting, anon
>>
File: fm-gun-hazard.png (158 KB, 719x634)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>10873562
Currently wanzering through some forest.
>>
File: dragon-wang.jpg (130 KB, 1440x810)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
I tired super punch out for the first time yesterday and got stuck on wing wang dragon chan
tips?
>>
>>10873562
Fighter Destiny 2 AKA F-Cup Maniax. It's a very obscure 3d Fighter not a lot of people knew about that I personally liked. It's kind of janky and the characters are generic but it's got charm.
>>
>>10878749
Duck
>>
>>10873562
Flash games...
>>
>>10878258
>>10878240
just play the Gold/Silver remake?
>>
>>10878258
>Liquid Crystal
lol good bait
>>
File: Megaman Zero 3 (U)-1.png (11 KB, 240x160)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>10873562
when it comes to retro games i've been playing the megaman zero games, im at the fourth game now
>>
>>10876518
oh i started replaying the series last year. 100% 2 and 3 and then played 4, i remembered why i hated it so much and stopped trying to 100% it, i havent started 5 yet, i hope that one doesnt suck to 100%
>>
>>10873562
Nice filter. Faggot!
>>
>>10878803
Any good ones? Can you recommend some?
>>
>>10878231
Pretty sure it's not that, it was more directly machine themed I think, but wasn't Transformers or anything. But Little Nemo looks nice, might try it, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1689440488543124m.jpg (208 KB, 768x1024)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
Link to the Past and I fucking hate it. I didn't play 2dshit games as a kid and so combat and navigation is absolute torture, not to mention the cryptic bullshit.
>dude you were supposed to set the skeleton on fire
>dude only pitfalls with a texture in them are one way passages except this one in particular
>>
>>10878943
DEAD Maze. it got ported onto STEAM and the Transformice Standalone Client.. But it's not /vr/ unless you just count Flash as a /vr/ platform.

there were lots of "new" Flash RPGs made a few years before it died(got blocked by Window Security Update and newer Flash plugins).

Battle w/o End was addictive, but it's not on Newgrounds or any Flash blog i know of, so i have no idea how to play it anymore.
https://imgur.com/WSnAPNt

Sword Fight, another Idle game, got converted to HTML5, but i'm not sure if it's still on Kongregate. It's not on Newgrounds.
https://imgur.com/sxzfPOk

DigitWars was a pretty good turn based wargame, with trainable/reuseable champions. I think the dev made an EXE of the game and his own private server(need registration) for it. But I have no idea where it is now.
https://imgur.com/EzUUMAt
>>
>>10879647
https://store.steampowered.com/app/502230/Monsters_Den_Book_of_Dread/

also Monsters' Den: Book of Dread got converted to a STEAM version. its sequel aren't /vr/ aged though. some of them can still be played on Newgrounds, or the EXE/SWFs downloaded from some blogs or archives.
>>
>>10878196
I do agree that the controls aren’t perfect and it can be annoying to revisit some of the levels, but those things are fairly minor to me so I overlook it.
Even some of my other favorite games of all time, like Mega Man 3 for example, have glaring issues. Like that game slowed down quite a bit when things got busy, there’s some glitches, and the Doc Robot levels are not the most fun to play through, but I still consider it to be one of my favorite games ever.
Or Yoshi’s Island, my overall favorite game of all time. It could be a total pain to 100% the levels, but everything else makes up for it like the graphics, music, and gameplay.
But I totally see your point and agree with you.
>>
>>10873562
Just finished Parasite EVE for the first time (beat the Chrysler Building).

Now I want to play Baroque and Wachenröder, so I'm hoping to go shopping and find a Sega Saturn this weekend.
>>
>>10873562
Ring of Red, yet another 10/10 game by Konami
>>
File: skooma ad.png (1.71 MB, 1024x1024)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
morrowind
>>
>>10879647
>don't know where
Try Flashpoint.
>>
File: title.png (15 KB, 256x224)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
finally got around to playing Super Metroid Subversion and holy shit it's awesome. starts a bit slow but once it gets going it just keeps going. 7 hours in and I have almost all the main upgrades but I'm still finding completely new areas. the amount of custom code in it is unbelievable.
>>
File: 69505-3.png (99 KB, 750x384)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>10873562
just played through and beat Castlevania Legends for the first time because it's on the Switch Online thing. didn't plan to but it turned out to be a short and mostly easy game outside of a couple of sections.
also recently beat Taro's Quest on the NES, which is an unreleased English prototype for some Ninja Jajamaru game that always kind of interested me for some reason. Very barebones and Dragon Quest as can be, but I'm old so I can still enjoy that.
>>
>>10873562
Crystalis. I really want to like this game but so much shit in it is obnoxiously obscure.
>B is sword, A is magic
>get jump boots early on (but after obtaining magic)
>no button makes me actually jump, figure the boots will just make me jump contextually at some point
>get stuck later on for a long time
>break down and look up a guide
>turns out you need to jump up a slippery slope
>to jump you have to equip the jump boots, UNEQUIP your magic, and THEN press A
I always play retro games with a scan of the manual handy, but not even the manual explains how the boots work, it just says "these boots allow you to jump." The game lets you equip a magic spell and the jump boots at the same time but since you get magic first and equipping both defaults the A button to magic there's no way to intuitively understand that you have to unequip magic to use the boots. They really should have made the game controls prioritize the jumping so if you tried to use magic after equipping the boots you'd jump and realize you need to unequip the boots.
>>
>>10879841
tranny shit devs banned me for saying it's bloated shit that's full of non Flash games, that take 10 mins to load because it's bloated shit. their reply to any criticism about nonFlash and playability is "We are archivists!" a meme answer copied from MAME trannie devs.

also citations needed . DigitWars literally can only play by connecting to a dev's server .that was how it always worked, with guilds and online accounts. dumbass tranny dev shill. buy beggar ads .
>>
File: Jajamaru Ninpou Chou.png (135 KB, 767x1440)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>10880254
Isn't the english proto missing a chapter or two?
>>
>>10881426
You sound like a faggot with brainrot, so that's probably why you got banned.
>>
>>10876339
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Trials of Mana for me, OP.
>>
>>10876475
Once you beat it make a thread.
>>
>>10877243
You are playing them wrong anon >>10870181
>>
>>10878715
This game is so broken. They did good things but
>Just find a good spot and grind there to clear the level.
>>
>>10879004
>I didn't play 2dshit games as a kid and so combat and navigation is absolute torture, not to mention the cryptic bullshit.
Being filtered by 2D top down navigation, zoomers never stop amazing me.
>>
>>10879004
Did you at least read the manual? I feel like this is the main thing people fuck up when playing retro games, the developers expected you to have access to the manual so not everything is fully explained in-game.
>>
File: landstalker-cover-art.jpg (2.05 MB, 1280x1377)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Actually Playing Landstalker

Last finished was Chronicles of the radia war

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.