[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: RIP.png (38 KB, 1079x699)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Still the greatest and most influential game ever made.
>>
american hands made this thread
>>
>>10874742
american hands made this website
>>
>>10874729
the oregon trail combined with ff7
running on the sega saturn
would be the ultimate vr game
we would never hear the end of it
>>
I'm going to caulk the wagon. We don't have enough to pay for a guide
>>
>>10874914
All the money went to bullets
>>
>>10874729
MECC was pretty neat, for a while.
>>
Nah, not really
>>
What is the influence? I have never played this game because I don't have an Amerishartian education.
>>
>>10875153
What country are you from?
>>
gaming historian just released a full documentary about the creation of this on youtube
>>
>>10875167
Which is the only reason this thread was created. All of you freaks are way too obvious about this shit.
>>
>>10875169
Why is that a bad thing? Why is it impermissible to discuss a game if it was recently brought up by someone else?
>>
>>10875153
It wasn't very influential. Just memorable if you grew up going to an American school in the 80s/90s because it was a game that was often installed on school computers and that was novel at the time. It stood out because it was an edutainment game that wasn't too boring or patronizing like those titles typically were.
>>
>>10875181
I would add it had a lot of "first in gaming" moments for many people:
-first time you(and your family) could die by name
-first time you had to manage resources
-first time you hunted animals with a gun
-first time you thought about settlers in wagons

It also struck a chord for many, myself included, in that our great grandparents were born at the tail end of the westward expansion so it was a look into their lives. Both my great grandmothers were born in Indian territory (1898/1899) and had lives with similar aspects as the game.
>>
>>10875153
It sold like 65 million copies.
>>
>>10875170
Because what you're really trying to do is drum-up attention and traffic for the new video of your YouTube e-celeb. I'm tired of midwit retards reciting Wikipedia articles in a video and dumb fucks advertising them for free since they're too lazy to read about the topic, but also have problems with understanding the text.
I can't believe you people see nothing wrong with promoting illiteracy and blind belief in words of some random nerd, as if it was the Bible.
>>
>>10875153
It was the world's first roguelike
>>
>>10875364
>Because what you're really trying to do is drum-up attention and traffic for the new video of your YouTube e-celeb.
No one is doing that. There's no link to the video in this thread. It was never even mentioned until you started complaining about it on your own. You're mentally ill.

>I'm tired of midwit retards
You're almost certainly the least intelligent person in this thread, but that's neither here nor there.

>reciting Wikipedia articles
No one is doing that. For the sole reason that you, yourself, brought this topic up, I will state that the video in question includes video quotes from the developers themselves and contains research into their histories and whereabouts that is not directly available on Wikipedia. I'll also point to something like Majuular's recent Ultima videos which includes original research and context for the development of said games as it relates to their respective eras.

>dumb fucks advertising them for free
No one is doing that. You're mentally ill.

>since they're too lazy to read about the topic
False assertion and needless antagonism. You don't seem to be in sound mind.

>I can't believe you people see nothing wrong with promoting illiteracy and blind belief in words of some random nerd, as if it was the Bible.
Persecution complex, "my personal crusade", "everyone is blind but me", etc. Baseless accusations about the supposed behavior of individuals you've never met, to a fatalistic degree.

You're mentally ill.
>>
>>10875401
>It was never even mentioned until you started complaining about it on your own.
Self-correction: I see someone did, in fact mention it. However the initial point stands, there's no direct link to it. Not "advertising". If there's a personal who's willing to type "gaming historian" into a youtube window, that person doesn't need to be advertised to.
>>
>>10875364
>noooo this is about a secret youtube video no one has mentioned!!!!!
this is the same faggot who watches retro video game youtube videos, keeps track of when they come out, monitors the board if anyone is talking about it, then bitches about it for the duration. dude, stfu. seriously. if all we could talk about were games that have no youtube video on them, there would be almost nothing to talk about. all I see discussion on a game and not a link to a video. stop being a little crybaby bitch for once.
>>
Is there a version of this game in which hunting isn't fun (in a stupid way)? I haven't played more than a few versions, yet I hereby claim that there is not.
>>
>>10874729
It's only so well loved because it was installed on every school computer and kids had nothing better to do. Instant nostalgia and ridiculous market penetration. The game itself isn't bad, but it's a little unremarkable for how short it is. I'm also not totally sure what it's supposed to educate you on. The fact that there even was an Oregon Trail? Micromanaging resources in a video game? The existance of dysentery?
>>
>>10875434
In the original teletype version, all you had to do was type bang.
>>
>>10874729

FORD IT!
Don't tell me that the water is as deep as the wagon's height and there was a storm.
Ford it!
>>
>>10875326
This is like bragging about how many copies of Mario/Duckhunt were sold on the NES. It doesn’t really count because Oregon Trail was preinstalled on certain computers sold through educational deals. It was bloatware.
>>
>>10874729
Nothing about it made sense. Did you see Frodo load a wagon up with food and have oxen drag him to Mordor?
>>
>>10874729
thats not adventure
>>
File: 1697446670789126.jpg (33 KB, 680x450)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>Timmy has syphilis.
>>
>>10875163
Canada
>>
File: hqdefault(2).jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>10875187
Bet you like this game too
>>
File: 1705442179622217.png (16 KB, 671x412)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
real american mode
>>
>>10875687
>preinstalled on certain computers
anon those computers didn't even have hdds you had to insert floppy
>>
>>10875708
>$63,000 USD in 2024 funbux
So that's like what, 2 boxes of ammo?
>>
>>10875708

Who's gonna pull the wagon?
>>
File: 1713496447952697.jpg (40 KB, 403x392)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>10875726
>wagon
Independence is about to get a lot more independent if you know what I mean
>>
>>10875727
SSRIs hadn't been invented yet
>>
>>10875706
I do :)
>>
>look up video anon is raging about
>it's 2 weeks old
Yeah I'm gonna chalk this up to coincidence. Oregon Trail is an extremely popular game and on /v/ at least they get regular threads about it. It only makes sense /vr/ would get some regularly too.
>>
>>10875169
>>10875364
>>10876607
who honestly gives a fuck about a youtube video being mentioned, like it or not, these videos contribute and progress the discourse around these games, being all uppity about it is just hipster behavior.
>>
>>10875704
>cucknadia
So are you a pajeet or a suicide?
>>
File: wtf.png (4 KB, 515x81)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
It was THREE FEET DEEP!
>>
>>10875708
USA USA USA
>>
>>10877197
They're taking to hobbits to *checks notes* ...Oregon?
>>
>>10877197

Maybe like somebody went down in the wrong spot and got caught under the wagon, or was knocked out during the fall and could not be retrieved in time. Strange things happen on the Trail
>>
maybe they drowned of unrelated causes and the fact that it happened while fording the river was entirely coincidental
>>
which version do I play?
>>
>>10877390
all of them, each in its turn
>>
File: ford that river.png (95 KB, 1920x1080)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>10877390
The original
>>
>>10877694
That isn't the original.
>>
>>10877694
that looks a lot deeper than three feet
>>
>>10875181
The funny thing is, I only remember it being brought up and shown to us once. We never actually got to play it, aside from that very first day. Cause they weren't about to let the kids play with their expensive paperweight unsupervised. So just about every classroom apple pc in the school never actually got used. Complete waste of tax dollars.
>>
File: beet berserk.png (1.47 MB, 897x900)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>10877694
og was text based friend.
>>
>>10878348
Well good luck getting that to run anymore now that computers don't use punch cards.
>>
>>10875434
I used to have an early version where hunting was just a 2-frame-animated animal "running" (blinking) across the screen, and you pressed space bar to fire a bullet very slowly from the bottom of the screen and hopefully time it right to hit the animal in the center
>>
>ox dies
>can't harvest it for meat

Unrealistic game, 1/10
>>
>>10877390
I like Oregon Trail 2, but admittedly it was the first version I played. One could argue the graphics being composed of digitized pictures as opposed to actual pixel art makes it less soulful. The music was bretty gud, though.
>>
>>10880443
>cannibalizing your buddy
There are some real sickos out there
>>
>>10875364
I remember when this was the common opinion. Now you're getting chewed out by zoomers. That one poster definitely would have posted the penguin chewing the lollipop on those guys if he were still around. Remember BST threads? I'm old. I'm going to play Robotrek till I fall asleep
>>
>>10878745
You can play it here dumbass: https://archive.org/details/OregonTrailMainframe
>>
File: 1517763828947.png (313 KB, 1348x1172)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>10874729
Inadequate grass
>>
>>10880773
shut up bitch. not everyone is watching youtube essays on retro games, and if we didm then this would still be the place to bring MORE discussion on these games. your idea is banning any game talk that has a video on it. your reasoning is bot-tier and shows youre a follower
>>
>>10874746
It's a literal copy-paste of a japanese imageboard lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.