[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What were some games you really wanted as a kid that your parents wouldn't let you play?
>>
>>10875235
My parents let me play pretty much everything on the grounds that I kept my grades up, understood the difference between fiction of reality and didn't punch my little brother in the eye. Parents who block media instead of letting kids see stuff but make sure they understand the context grow up with wusses for kids.
>>
Pokémon,

Christian satanic panic was fucking crazy man.
>>
Nothing was really off limits. My dad was a big gamer and also loved Grand Theft Auto so there wasn't anything off limits as long as I didn't become a degenerate.
>>
>>10875235
My mom didn't like us playing Mortal Kombat II all the time, but she let us play it anyway. My dad didn't want us playing anything above "K-A" (my brother lied to him about Marvel vs. Capcom's age rating when we bought it for DC), but my parents were divorced, and we didn't live with him, so he did nothing. Ironically, he had no issue with us playing Goldeneye (since he owned it, though he didn't like the blood stains on clothes), since he owned it too, and for a time Turok. (He's fine with it all, now, I think)

Nothing else was off-limits from then on, pretty much, though we ended up gatekeeping ourselves later, for some reason (I didn't play Castlevania until late middle school and I didn't play Resident Evil until the remake of 2 a few years ago).
>>
>>10875245
>>10875258
Same here, my dad let me play hitman, god of war, metal gear solid, and I'm really glad he did.
>>
>>10875309
are you like 13 or something?
>>
My parents flipped out at my when they saw me playing Half-Life due to the gore. They were fine with Counter-Strike until they saw how much blood would spray when I got a headshot.

>>10875245
>>10875258
>>10875309
This is a shelteredchad thread, fuck off neglectedcels.
>>
>>10875235
Meet 'n' Fuck Kingdom.
>>
>>10875371
I could never get why killing people in vidya is okay as long as there's no blood. If there's blood/gore, then it's rated Mature, otherwise you're good. It's insane.
>>
>>10875371
>This is a shelteredchad thread, fuck off neglectedcels
this, having played violent games as a kid is a sign of bad parents
>>
>>10875323
26, I swear you "oldfags" act like it's still 2009 or something.
>>
Virtua Fighter 2 Genesis
>>
My folks didn't like me playing "gun games". If it was sci-fi enough they didn't care though.
>>
>>10875245
Basically this.
My parents weren't in tune with technology, but knew there was no sense in trying to shelter me from it. Even when GTA and the like got turned into boomer scarebait, my parents had enough faith in me to understand the difference between a game and reality.
To them it was like expecting a kid to start running coke after watching Scarface. Just a totally unfounded concern.

I guess that's the difference between parents who grew up in the 50s/60s and ones who grew up in the 70s/80s.
>>
>>10875235
Nothing was off limits for me. I played Doom, Diablo, and Parasite Eve as my first 3 M games.
>>
>>10875235
My parents let me play whatever I wanted although I think that's more because they were naive to some of the more mature stuff in M rated games. The only game they didn't let me play again was San Andreas and that was because of the swearing.
>>
>>10875235
When I was 6 my Dad taught me the g_saberrealisticcombat cheat in Jedi Outcast (which was my first FPS game). Naturally when my Mom saw me cutting Stormtroopers to paper she got pissed at him for telling me that cuz I found it hilarious. He remedied this (since I already knew the code) by showing me how to get mods and starting with one to turn the troopers into Battle Droids, which I loved because I thought Battle Droids were awesome.

He also showed me the blood cheat in Worms 2 for some reason lmfao
>>
My parents let me and my brother play things like GTA3 and MGS1/2 even when my cousin told my dad that you could have sex with prostitutes in GTA. They were like "it's just a game"
>>
>>10875235
None. I was like 10 when my sister told on me for "pressing the spacebar on the girls in Duke Nukem 3D" and not a single fuck was given.

Glorious childhood, I feel sorry for all of you. I guess the difference is I was always one of the bests at school so as long as the grades were good they didn't care what I did.
>>
>>10875809
>I guess the difference is I was always one of the bests at school so as long as the grades were good they didn't care what I did.
Excellent grades were an expectation for me. Your parents spoiled you. They were enamored with your good grades and because they never even went to college.
>>
>>10875235
a friend and i rented Tenchu from blockbuster. his mom saw it and was sort of upset about all theh blood. my parents didn't like mortal kombat games, but they almost always caved and let me play them anyways
>>
i dont think there was anything i wanted that i wasnt allowed to have. my mom absolutely despised beavis and butthead, so perhaps that wouldve been an issue but i wasnt exactly foaming at the mouth to get that game.
>>
>>10875235
My parents wouldn't let me watch the simpsons until I got cable in my room. But video games were fine I played Mortal Kombat when I was 5.
>>
>>10876514
To add to this though, my dad got me TWINE on N64 that Christmas it was out. But he was disappointed it was a shooter and not a detective game.
>>
>>10876517
>detective
Was he just unfamiliar with James Bond as a character?
>>
>>10875235
Rapelay, yes it's a 2006 retro game
>>
>>10876520
I mean, in your average James Bond movie he doesn't kill nearly as many people as the first level of almost any Bond game. He's a spy who gathers information to stop the big bad guy.
>>
>>10876541

And your parents knew about it and actively objected to it?
>>
>>10876563
my wife did
>>
>>10876549
To an extent, sure, but he's never been a detective. He seduces just about every woman he comes across, and he's absolutely going to shoot a few goons along the way.
There's no way anyone familiar with the franchise would think it wasn't going to have at least some of that.
>>
My boomer technophobe parents were both terrified of the internet so I wasn't allowed to play anything with online on it, even though my PS2 wasn't actually connected to the internet at all or anything (and hell if I could have figured that out when I was 8)

Like literally any PS2 that had that little online icon on its cover was off-limits. It was really retarded.
>>
>>10875371
Yeah just say you had a boring childhood because of your strict parents
>>
>>10876650
Actual schizoid parents
>>
>>10875562
I've told this story in a previous thread. My friend's mom was similarly strict, didn't want us playing anything with real people or military stuff "killing games" she called it. One day she got pissed at me when I brought over Socom for PS2 to his house although I didn't help the situation when I said "Hey It's okay we're killing terrorists" and she called me a smartass and threatened to call my mom. She's a super sweet lady but yeah I was kind of a being a turd lmao.
>>
>>10876632
He was more concerned that it was a shooter first and foremost. Especially since TWINE has that quiet start in the bank then hell breaks loose for the rest of the game.
>>
I don't think there were any desu. I knew about stuff like "Leisure Suit Larry" and, earlier, "Leather Goddesses of Phobos".
Getting into ages like, 12-14, I didn't want to look like a pervert in front of mum.
I suppose the closest I came to getting in Trouble for gameplaying was with addictive grinders like "Alien Legacy", or some of the chop-socky arcades for early Nintendo, because they'd make me tired and/or irritable. But we still had the games.
>>
>>10875280
oh right, I forgot about Mortal Kombat I-II. My parents let my 16 year old little bro play those, kek.
But that kid was pretty mature for his age, much more than my autist self.
>>
>>10875251
Was it though? Look around man...
>>
>>10875251
considering the kind of shit that comes from Pokemon nowadays, I don't think the panic was unwarranted.
>>
>>10875235
I only ever got cockblocked on rare occasions. I looked like a grown ass man very early, so i had friends paying me to buy M rated games for them.

Only times I had an issue:
>wasnt allowed to buy Alice cause she was holding a bloody knife
>EB Games clerk wanted to see ID when i wanted to get Zone of the Enders because of the MGS2 demo.
>At a pawn shop, my dad wouldn't let me buy Contra or Barker Bill's Trick Shooting for NES because they were gun related, yet he had no problem letting me play Interstate 76 and MechWarrior 3 which he gave me when they were packed in with this PC hardware and he even played himself so he was very aware what they contained.

I also got Duke Nukem 3D for free from a kid in school and bought the Turok games at a flea market and I kept those hidden for a while just incase.

Had zero problems with me playing Conkers Bad Fur Day though and thought it was funny.
>>
I wasn't allowed to play anything with guns or blood. My dad took away my copy of Soul Calibur 2 and sold it on eBay.
>>
>>10875235
The things I had to do to get a hold of a copy of Turok 2 will haunt me forever.
>>
>>10875809
See, my parents wouldn't let me play anything when I was a child AND they expected me to have the best grades. I got a B once and my mother made me sleep naked in the shed for a night and wouldn't let me have breakfast the next morning.
Just asian things I guess.
>>
>>10875235
My parents took it back when they saw the mtv 2 extra vid of some dude getting run over by a car
>>
>>10875251
My mom broke my X4 CD in half because X and Zero's eyes looked demonic. She also almost burned down the house when she decided to light up all her outfits from her stripper days.
>>
>>10877447
Maverick behaviour
>>
>>10875245
>understood the difference between fiction of reality
I don't think my mom ever learned that.
One time she lectured me about how the people you kill in videogames have parents and families and my autistic ass was like, their parents are computer programmers.
>>
>>10877459
She was trying to teach you empathy. A clumsy attempt but still commendable.
>>
>>10875235
Final Fantasy 9, until I was a teenager, because it was rated T.
Even though I was allowed to play plenty of other games that were rated T, and we even had Turok 2 which was M. But it was my big brothers' favorite, and they liked to bully me, so that one was off limits.
>>
>>10877506
She was trying to tell me that killing people in a videogame counts as a sin.
>>
>>10875251
I think it's been thoroughly demonstrated over the last 10 years that it wasn't a panic, it was a measured and reasonable response.
>>
>>10875371
half-life was scary at times because of the atmosphere, not due to the gore
>>
>>10875235
My mom took away my TMNT when my brother and I got into a fight. She thought the game was influencing us to fight. We got it back later though.
>>
>>10877297
What the fuck? Do you hate your parents after all the torture?
>>
>>10876650
They were protecting you from becoming a cock-sucking sissy.
>>
>>10875914
Level of cope off the chart
>>
>>10877412
Lucky you. On Tour was actual shit.
>>
>>10875251
post-Pokemania had a heavy effect on the entire franchise.
>>
>>10877770
No it's not, parents just got even lazier now to the point the govt is trying to intervene.
>>
>>10878136
Parents who have to bribe their kids for good grades raise failures
>>
Kingpin - Life of Crime
>>
File: 1581173361_3.jpg (201 KB, 1500x844)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>10878762
forgot pic
>>
>>10875235
my brother wanted to buy Manhunt 1 or 2 , dont remember which, but i discouraged him telling him that our mom would definitely take away our ps2 for that game...
>>
>>10879079
narc
>>
>>10875804
>"HD resource pack for outcast"
you don't belong here faggot.
>>
>>10875235
My parents didnt really care, i guess they wouldve been in there early 30s then.
>latch key kid
>>
File: RippedHeads_UT.jpg (590 KB, 1600x1024)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>10875235
Unreal Tournament. Ripping heads off or turning people into mincemeat with the Ripper was too fucking much for my boomer dad.
>>
>>10876794
>>10877084
>>10877770
>>10878324
faggots

>>10875251
>be me
>finished pokemon xd and caught all of Greevil's mons
>mom comes up to tell me its time for dinner
>show mom the legendary birds and lugia that I caught
>feeling proud of myself
>mom just looks at the screen for a few seconds
>"anon, who told you you could play pokemon?"
>???
>she asks me this after she got me Gold a few years ago
>after dad got me Emerald last year
>after they BOTH got me a gamecube with xd bundled in after my old gamecube stopped working
>"you always let me play pokemon before"
>"not anymore, give me your pokemon games, I'm throwing them away"
>"what, why?!"
>"because pokemon is a tool of the devil"
>absolutely dumbstruck by this statement
>knew mom didn't like pokemon, but assumed it was just a boomer thing
>try to explain to her there's nothing evil about pokemon and she's overreacting
>ignores me and takes my games
>go to dad for help
>he doesn't give a shit
>have to say goodbye to my feraligatr, sceptile and jolteon
>"go eat dinner anon"
>not hungry
>stay in my room the rest of the day crying

She eased up like four years later once she realized I wasn't become a devil-worshiper, but I'm still pissed I lost my games. I love my mother to death, but what the fuck was that all about!?
>>
>>10879740
some lazy church sermon really got to her

but damn she seems like a cunt
>>
My parents wouldn't let me buy MK2 for SNES so I traded for it with a kid at school. Was my first experience with the fact that other people are animals and treat their property like trash. All my SNES games boot 100% of the time; any game I traded for would always take multiple attempts.
They wouldn't let me buy Doom either, but I somehow was able to rent the SNES version all the time.
My parents were never super strict about these things, they just heard those particular games were really violent so wouldn't buy them for me.
>>
>>10877893
Yes and no.
I understand why they did what they did. Mom was an immigrant desperate to integrate, she operated from a place of fear.
That fear has been both useful and counterproductive. It made me tough but incredibly neurotic, so in the end I just kind of turned out like everyone else + extra skill sets + extra money + tendency to over spend to self soothe due to depression + social anxiety.
Like most middle class Americans. In that regard, she succeeded into integrating her child into the white world, so I'm not sure I can fault her for that.
>>
>>10879826
She's just... worries a lot about of my siblings and I. I wouldn't go as far as to call her a "helicopter mom", but she's always been protective of us. It's drove me crazy at times, but given a choice, I'd rather she cares too much than not at all.
>>
>>10876794
>>10877084
>>10877770
What's happening now is directly BECAUSE of those "satanic panics" in the 80's, and then the brief panics in the 90's over Pokemon (which was because of Gambling, not "satan), and Harry Potter.

If anything, those panics are twice as bad because they not only panicked over stupid bullshit, but that stupid bullshit they panicked over caused two generations of kids to grow up thinking religion is fucking retarded and to become hipster douchebag atheists.
>>
>>10877508
felt that
>>
>>10877770
The "they were right all along" thing is bullshit.
If they said playing pokemon would turn your autistic son into a dogfucker then maybe they'd be onto something.
But no, they were freaking out because pokemon will teach your kids about evolution. Generating fear about [the current thing] for attention.
>>
>>10879172
motherfucker
it's not my screenshot, i just searched for a close enough image of the droids. If you really knew what you were talking about you'd know that was JKA by the HUD. Sit the fuck down.
>>
>>10880154
Where I live, our churches had a VERY firm stance Pokémon was satanic.
>>
>>10880230
That was one side of it, but there was a lot more nuanced discourse from both the left and right sides of the fence about video games. Reasonable thought was drowned out by the 80s equivalent of the poltards: the ultra conservative outliers, and the ultra degen liberals. This is how history has always been. Moderation always fails.

The conservative argument: Pokemon is designed to be highly addictive. Video games in general have addictive qualities, and without proper parenting and supervision, it's possible that a kid may become a fat degenerate loser because all he does with his life is play video games. It's possible that games may also be used to slip in social messaging that children will not have the intelligence to understand in context, and that could drive destructive behavior in the future. Maybe we should find out what our kids are playing and consuming and limit their time so that they can also cultivate other skills and healthy hobbies. Because video games are so rewarding, it's possible some kids will become addicted to them and develop a dependency on them, like with gambling and alcohol, etc. Let's teach the value of moderation.

The conservative argument that was remembered: Pokemon is the work of the evil godless Japs! It rots the very soul of the child, everything about it is designed and consciously engineered to turn children into sex fiends and dog fuckers and anarchists and satan worshippers, ban it all REEEEE

It doesn't help that the nuanced arguments made by conservatives have always been drowned out by the highly reactive left wing media. They actively attempted to smear EVERYONE who had even the slightest misgiving about anything as insane bigots and reactionaries (just like they do now.)

The present climate isn't anything new. Politics, signaling, tribalism, all of it is a pendulum that swings back and forth. There are moments when the pendulum is centered (mid 90s to early 2000s,) but it always continues the full swing.
>>
>>10875235
>be me
>love playing The House of the Dead 2 in the arcade
>ask my super religious mom to get it for me as I have a Dreamcast
>instant no
>somehow manage to buy it on my own even though I’m 13 at the time with my chore money
>play it once in secret
>happy.png
>next day get home from school
>try playing again and my Dreamcast can’t read the disc
>open and check out the disc for smudges
>instead see deep scratches
>hellodarknessmyoldfriend.mp3
>>
>>10880230
depends on who "they" are. i grew up in a fairly progressive part of CA (believe it or not, there's varying degrees) and pokemon still was absolutely loathed and feared here. in this case, it was fears of gambling, litigation from parents whose kids had their shit stolen at school, and "inciting gang wars" since we had/have such a fear of the latter where kids were forbidden to wear even a smidgin of blue or red lest a random black gangbanger would teleport in and obliterate them unprovoked. pokemon red/blue was believed to possibly evoke those here

the latter was sadly somewhat valid (not the pokemon part, the gang shit) since we've way too many unrelated kids gunned down in random drive-bys and failed gang initiations in the past few decades
>>
>>10882138
Hey. Just wanted to let you know that I ain't reading all of that shit.
Cheers.
>>
>>10883313
Your parents silently fucked up the game instead of telling you not to disobey them?
>>
>>10875323
>>10875398
Today's 26 year olds aren't any emotionally developed over a classic 13 year old. Not even trying to be mean but it's true.
>>
>>10883339
you live(d) in a shithole. are you black?
>>
I had to jump through some hoops to get my hands on the GTA PS2 games at the time but I still had access. I do remember being pretty little and wanting to go behind the saloon doors at Family Video because I thought they had good games back there.
>>
>>10876517
on the contrary I loved the James Bond shooters and was a little disappointed when I finally saw a JB movie. at least at first. I thought he was going to be shooting everyone all the time.
>>
My parents paid no mind at all until the Hot Coffee Scandal and the coverage about Manhunt sometime later. I vividly remember both of these things because at the time I thought--oh fuck. This is going to screw everything up. I was in the housing at Dayton AFB when Hot Coffee happened, and I remember seeing news stories about Manhunt while sitting at a Damon's Grill with my parents playing Buzztime trivia. My mom could not stop me from kissing boys in Bully though.
>>
>>10875235
Never had any problems but mom used to watch me play and whenever I was doing badly she will laugh and tell me I didn't know how to play the game, which she knew it pissed me off.
>>
>>10877273
What did you do?
Tell us
WE NEED TO KNOW
>>
File: 1714109632840279.webm (1.75 MB, 512x384)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB WEBM
I was a tail end millenial with parents in their mid to late 30s. Autism aside, it was pretty comfy growing up because tech was in this sweet spot but my parents didn't take it seriously. Unsupervised computer time, and a total disconnect between video games and movies. For example, my mom would throw shoes at me if I tried to watch Harry Potter because it was witchcraft magick and she was a schizo Irish Catholic. Yet she couldn't differentiate between Mario Kart and Vice City. I didn't have to hide anything I was playing ever. I do remember my mom sperging out over my PSP because she saw something on the news about people loading them with porn, but I bought it with my own money and was in high-school by that point.
>>
>>10879740
Neither of my parents ever committed even the slightest cruelty against me, can't imagine how little I'd have been able to handle a blunt insult like that
>>
I was born in an ex-communist country. My parents were poor. They worked all the time.
They didn't buy me games because they couldn't afford them. They also didn't spend much time with me or check what I was doing because of how busy they were.
But dad somehow got an internet-connected computer. He thought he could do some sort of business with it, but it didn't work out, so he never really used it, so it sorta' became mine.
I learnt to pirate games, so I was in this situation where I could play anything and they didn't know anything about it.
But unfettered access to the internet also meant that I discovered a bunch of things. I remember discovering /b/ when I was 9.
But there were also good parts. Pretty much everything was in English, which made me learn it. I remember everyone at school being impressed with how well I knew English. By the 3rd grade I was already fluent in it.
Also, since we were so poor, we had to get everything from shady sources. That meant no support and often times also no manuals. That meant that I had to learn how the computer actually worked in order to fix everything that went wrong myself. This made me a whiz kid with computers. By middle-school, I knew more about how computers worked that my IT teachers in university.
>>
File: file.png (1.23 MB, 716x1000)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
I loved the first Paper Mario game, but my mom wouldn't let me get the sequel because she said it has a "demonic presence" attached to it.
>>
>>10880032
Anon, you're trying to justify child abuse.
>>
>>10883519
Hey. Just wanted to let you know that you're a lazy subhuman that will die alone.
Cheers.
>>
>>10884970
a CHAD is born
>>
>>10884970
>Yet she couldn't differentiate between Mario Kart and Vice City.
You lucky little shit. My parents (also mad catholic) both supervised everything I played. I remember my mom pulling the Perfect Dark cartridge right out of the n64 the instant the shooting started.
Good thing my friends were all satan worshippers, I don't know how I'd have survived without them giving me access to games at their houses.
>>
>>10875386
probably because you were too retarded to know the difference
>>
>>10883339
Where the fuck did YOU grow up??
>>
>>10879740
you sound like a retarded faggot. your mom was right, look where you are now
>>
This thread really puts into perspective why most americans are anti-religious
>>
>>10885215
It really does.
What's funny is that most of us didn't even think this was odd until we actually got older and looked back.

For example, it was normal in my Christian family to 'socially exile' kids who played video games or engaged with foreign cultures in any way shape or form. I got caught playing Star Fox once and my teachers (also christcucks at a christcuck school) instructed my friends never to speak with me again. After days of just being blanked by them I screamed and cried in class "why won't you talk to me?! Why won't you look at me?!" After that breakdown, the teachers took me aside and, with my parents in tow, my friends and their parents, put me in a room and told me to repent because I was a vector for evil. My mom put a copy of the game in front of me with my friends and family on the other side and said "you can only choose one. Us, or eternal damnation." I was nine. Of course I chose family. Like some fucked up cult, they then hugged me and cried and expressed gratitude to Christ for giving me the wisdom to "make the right decision" and save my soul.

It sounds like a horror movie parody, but this was par for the course across America for many kids. Many Christian denominations in the west taught their followers to train their children this way to ensure that they would grow up to become "warriors in Christ" and resist temptation. In other words, completely normalized brainwashing and abuse, sold under the guise of love.

Another decade of that shit followed. Every day was a fight to the death over some game, magazine, movie, book, TV show, drawing. I still feel this strange, ingrained anxiety response when I boot up games today and I have to consciously tell myself it's okay to play them. Scarred for fucking life.
>>
>>10875235
everything over E until around nine years old, E10+ until 13, and T until 8th grade.
>tfw everyone else was playing san andreas in kindergarten yet my parents insisted they were extremely lenient because "most kids aren't allowed to watch spongebob/play video games until middle school"
>>
>>10885252
Pretty much. That's why I find it funny when zoomers make threads on /v/ about jprgs that go:
>JRPG
>Final Boss is....GOD!
>Le....DEEP!
I don't blame them, but a lot of /vr/ games did have a anti-religion aspect to them. I'm not surprised these haven't aged too well with younger crowds because that shit meant a lot more to millenials and probably gen xers that had to grow up in a time when a abusive side of religion ruled over all through the 80s - 00s. There's a good reason why a good chunk of millenials claim to be athiests nowadays. Xenogears, for example, was the first game that really showed me a different way of viewing the world, but not actually destroying my faith. I was so worried playing that one in my house (it was very religious too. Thankfully the parents weren't into games so they didn't monitor the shit out of it like they did with movies outside of a couple games like Beavis and Butthead and South Park). Churches have been a lot nicer to go to nowadays than they were when I was a kid. I don't think zoomers and younger in general wouldn't get the same experience out of games like Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. that tackled these things head on, especially with the negative social tropes surrounding foreign cultures like you said.
Sorry you had to go through all that shit though. I didn't have it quite that bad (and the parents have chilled a little bit. Glad my mom was the rebellious one of the pack lol), but I have seen it with other aunts and uncles and it's sad what their childhoods were like. I tried a couple times with my cousins to do something a little bit different that didn't involve Jesus or Moses, but I couldn't.
>>
>>10882138
They hate Pokemon because it teaches the most basic idea of evolution to kids. It's not any deeper than that
>>
>>10880516
Jimmy Swaggart claimed "Murder By Numbers" by The Police was written and performed by Satan. It's a tired tactic for ensuring your congregation doesn't engage with anything that might cause them to question their beliefs.
>>
>>10875235
sailor moon on genesis
my uncle rented games to me. sonic, gunstar heroes, etc. when I requested him to rent sailor moon, he fucking laugh and refused, he said it's for girls. I replied "wtf why!?!? I played it with my brother (he is 8 years older than me) 2 months ago, and it's fun!" but he didn't accept it
fucking shit I got so angry, but there was nothing I could do
>>
>>10875235
my family wouldnt let me buy duke nukem games for the ps1 but by the time gta 3 came out they didnt care anymore.
>>
>>10885442
I had no problem renting Total Meltdown or Time to Kill. "Land of the Babes" was a tough one to get around with my mom at the time (I was 10).
>What kind of BABES are in this game?
I played the first 1/4th or so in the living room...but decided I wanted to play in my small ass bedroom (that I never wanted to be in due to the size) just because I knew shit was going to be much worse with that game LMAO!
>>
>>10885464
>Land of the babes
Oh yeah? I wasn't allowed to buy any game that had a woman on the cover until I was 19. If she saw a woman or girl anywhere on it she was like "nope, you're not having this" regardless of the age rating.
My mom went crazy about that kind of thing after my old man cheated on her. Her resentment towards the very idea of attractive women existing, in reality or in fiction, was like the background radiation of my entire life.
What was that game like? I never did get to play it.
>>
>>10875235
GTA III. I would play it on a PS2 at my sister's house. She also bought me a copy on the Xbox, the one that came with Vice City as well and that version was fantastic.

Great games.
>>
>>10875251
I was going to a private Christian school at the time. They banned Pokemon stuff because it encouraged fighting, I don't remember hearing anything involving evolution or whatever. Really weird looking back on it actually.
>>
>>10885557
sucks man, my mom found I was stealing her Victoria's Secret catalogs and took them but left me a few new ones in return. Parents who can't accept their kids jerk off are insane.
>>
>>10883883
My mom yeah… I have a good relationship with her but growing up she would do stuff like that
>>
>>10875235
I'd bully kids who weren't allowed to play M rated games or watch R rated movies.
>>
>>10885910
>I was going to a private Christian school at the time. They banned Pokemon stuff because it encouraged fighting, I don't remember hearing anything involving evolution or whatever. Really weird looking back on it actually.
To be fair, all of the Pokemon games are about enslaving creatures and forcing them to fight each other in coliseums.
Kinda dark, actually.
>>10885929
>I'd bully kids who weren't allowed to play M rated games or watch R rated movies.
Sounds like being exposed to that stuff as a child made you a worse person. And your parents clearly didn't raise you properly.
>>
>>10875371
>your parents understood that violent games don't make violent people?
>uhhhhh NEGLECTED CHILD REEEEEEE
>>
>>10885910
Pokemon was banned from most schools due to fighting, kids stealing games and cards, and just being a distraction in general.
The evolution thing depends on how touchy your religious circle was about the E word.
I'm not sure where the satanic thing came from.
>>
As a kid looking at the racks of games at best buy I remember there being more games that had the old rating system that presented a sort of point scale for different categories of sex, violence, etc and recall so many games (that I couldn't play) having a point out two in the sex category.

The icon was a kids face covering his eyes with his hands. Anyone else remember this?
>>
>>10886045
no but I remember an old magazine ad for some deodorant or cologne from a game informer my dad bought back in like 2005, it was of a girl dancing in a night club covered in sweat and it read "When she sweats, it's sexy, when you sweat, you stink" or something along those lines, jerked off to it many times.
>>
>>10885557
It was ok. I remember the gore is one of the finest I remember seeing in any video game, especially headshots with a sniper. There is a boss where you have to shoot robot tiddies. It's what you expect from a side game at the time, but it's no Duke 3D.
>>
>>10885942
Sounds like you're begging for a wedgie.
>>
>>10875235
Nothing was off limits.
>>
>>10885252
>>10885328
kys samefag
>>
>parents would let me play Doom in kindergarten
>wouldn't let me watch Jurassic Park or any other movies with violence
I don't know what they meant by this
>>
my parents let me play anything, but I wasn't too interested in the violent ones to be honest
>>
>>10886831
Likewise.
I did once have a friend who was banned from ever owning consoles or handheld gaming devices, but his parents seemingly didn't give a shit about whatever he played on PC. Strangely, his parents also banned him from watching the Simpsons (in the late 90s/early 00s), but had no issue with South Park.
>>
>>10875235
One time I left the computer on Diablo 2's title screen and my mom heard the music from the other room and thought it was legitimate satanic shit.
>>
>>10875235
My parents wouldn’t let me play Fortnite fr no cap
>>
File: sdlkfe.png (3 KB, 347x100)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>10886345
huh?
>>
>>10875235

I was born in 1984. My house had a Sega Genesis.
Anything M-rated (or MA-17) was completely out.

Of course this didn't stop my older brother from secretly renting games like Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse 2 and 3. Ironically Splatterhouse 3 in particular did more to traumatize my nine-year-old self than anything else and that was only rated MA-13.

My friend had Duke Nukem 3D and Doom and we played that together all the time. However he had a very weird house rule where he wasn't allowed to press spacebar on the stripper. You're allowed to gib aliens all you want but you can't see boobies.
>>
>>10886847
I was raised in a catholic home and was a little wiener for most of my childhood.
We were at my cousin's house and I saw the box for Diablo next to their computer and I nearly had a panic attack over it.
>Why would anyone play a game like that?! Don't they know diablo means devil?
>>
I'm so fucking glad I'm not all of you, now I know how the schizos and console warriors posting on this board were made
>>
>>10875245
Ya mine didn't care either. Was always annoying how they acted like it was stupid and they were too good to ever play it though

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.