[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Wrathofcortex_boxart.jpg (27 KB, 256x327)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
I gave it a chance. I wanted to like it.

It's a bore; and I couldn't grasp why until I made a direct comparison with the PSX titles. The movement is slow and sluggish, and the camera is farther removed which doesn't help, levels have too much empty space with nothing going on. And of course the new gimmicks suck.
All they set out to achieve is copy Warped and they couldn't even do that right
>>
>>10875520
>level design
good, nothing extraordinary
>Gameplay
i like the hamster ball sections for me the whole game should be that
>graphics
I think it has the best graphics of a sixth gen crash game
>>
The hate for this game is so forced it makes me sick.
>>
>>10875758
agreed, i remember liking it as a kid
>>
File: 1707070877068774.gif (583 KB, 498x372)
583 KB
583 KB GIF
>>10875976
>I had nostalgia for it therefore it's good
everytime
>>
File: best crash 4.jpg (968 KB, 3039x2164)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
it's not nearly as good as psx Crash, but it's an alright game to play when you've tired of replaying those. the floaty physics and movement also bothered me at first. the controls themselves still felt precise enough that I eventually got use to it. the level design is a mixed bag, but the environments always looked good to me. the two unique things that kept me coming back to the game were the music and cool transparency effects.
>>
>>10875758
you know what makes me sick? the loading times. fucking nauseating
>>
>>10876056
they're a bit more tolerable on greatest hits or xbox. I had gotten the original black label when it came out and I couldn't believe that shit, especially after having just played jak and daxter. this was probably the biggest upgrade any game has gotten with a greatest hits print.
>>
I recall they added even more vehicle sections in this than there was in Warped and that usually indicates a downfall when the core gameplay has kind of runs it's course.

But I had fun with this game and I would play it again, tho not paying much money for it. It's probably nostalgia because it was my first PS2 game as a child, but it's not entirely a bad game. I do remember the loading times were terrible which is funny because even modern games do this sometimes.
>>
>>10876056
Don't play the black label version on PS2. Greatest hits or Xbox.
>>
File: 1562390351391.jpg (37 KB, 611x430)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>10875520
this game sucks ASS dude. I got it for my PS2 when I was like 7. Zero nostalgia for it because it was nothing more than a disappointment. Never even finished it despite 100%ing the OGs. Huge Crash autist coming off the PS1 Naughty Dog trilogy+CTR
I immediately knew this game was fucked. Floaty, ugly, AWFUL load times.

>>10875758
tasteless cunt shut the fuck up.

OP is objectively correct in his assessment.
hate to be a dick over subjective tastes but iirc Universal interactive were useless/actively harmful while publishing the ND Crash games then acquired the IP by cutting out everyone who made it great. They don't deserve to be defended
and this turd of a game, only exists to tarnish the legacy of the originals. Millions of clueless people play this mediocre rushed loadingscreen slop and are left with the impression Crash isn't/was never good which I think is a damn shame. Harmful ass game, worst gaming disappointment of my life.
>>
>>10876000
what? i didn't have nostalgia for it, i just remarked that i remember thinking positively of it at a time when i was mostly plugged out of vidya discourse. one of my friends liked it too
>>
>>10876783
Universal doesn't deserve any defending, but given the game's development constraints, Traveller's Tales did an alright job all things considered. I'd rather replay this over the actual Crash 4 if forced to choose.

And like other anons pointed out, there's other versions with faster loading times.
>>
>universal told wrath of cortex team to scrap their game and make it like the old crash games
>universal gave the new and inexperienced twinsanty team the freedom to waste all their dev time and scrap together what little they had
probably the biggest crash bandicoot blunder ever
>>
>>10875758
>>10875976
It was a fun game. Maybe not as good as the first ones, but still fun
>>
You know how when someone makes a photocopy of something that's on a piece of paper you lose quality?

Yeah well, it's the same for video games.
>>
I remember hearing that originally the game was going to be much more original/open world but the publisher basically just told them to make a "typical" Crash game instead so they just ended up remaking Crash 3 but more milquetoast.
>>
>>10875758
shut up, cunt
>>
>>10875520
I remember thinking it was OK because I liked Crash and I was excited to play a new Crash game but even back then I could tell something very fucky was going on.
The main thing was the weightless floaty jump and slightly-too-long animations on everything

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.