[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Zoomers won't remember jaggies being a huge controversy on PS2. Everyone wanted it to have aliasing like N64 back in the day.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/07/01/ps2-aliased-no-more
>>
>>10876778
you mean anti-aliasing?
>>
>>10876802
yeah
>>
>>10876778
PS2 was perfectly capable of anti-aliasing. Early games just didn't take advantage of it, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZVjOloSmM

It's insanely apparent too.
>>
>>10876827
Holy shit the interlace frame bouncing on the title screen
>>
>le heckin anti-aliasing
>le heckin vaseline
>le heckin chunky pixels
>le heckin framerate
>le heckin RGB
feels good not being a retarded faggot who cares about this kind of stuff and instead just gets to enjoy games.
>>
>>10876845
Yeah, being interested in your hobby beyond mindless consoomption is for fags.
>>
>>10876851
my hobby is playing video games, not ruining them for myself by nitpicking the hardware flaws of 20+ year old technology. i bet you post in CRT general and own anime figurines.
>>
>>10876860
>ruining them for myself
Sounds like a you problem. Normal people don't have that issue.
>>
>>10876868
"normal" people aren't on 4chan making threads about the PS2's lack of onboard anti-aliasing support, that's for sure. checkmate, pseud.
>>
File: 1691249952787617.jpg (97 KB, 640x640)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10876871
If you say so. From my perspective, someone who stops enjoying a game because they talked about technical aspects of the game is likely to be severely unstable. This would also explain your extreme, irrational anger that someone else talked about the technical aspects of a game.
>>
>>10876885
>reddit reaction pic
didn't read, stay mad.
>>
>>10876887
>didn't read
Being retarded isn't a virtue, anon.
>>
>>10876778
Weaker than GC, much weaker than Xbox. And ended up with one of mightiest libraries ever, to this day beloved and brought up as absolute top. Shows how much graphics are worth.
>>
>>10876885
You sound just as angry as that anon.
>mindless consoomption is for fags
Unless typing like a twelve year old who just discovered profanity is your default state.
>>
No one cares, OP is a fag
>>
>>10876893
>You sound just as angry as that anon.
I'm not, don't worry.
>Unless typing like a twelve year old who just discovered profanity is your default state.
I'm not sure how you weren't able to pick this up, but I posted that to satirize how stupid his beliefs were. Hope this helps.
>>
>>10876898
You're not very convincing. Take a breather from the internet and do better.
>>
>>10876903
I wasn't trying to be "convincing", I was just writing an objectively accurate statement. You writing another mindbogglingly stupid response is not that surprising, and also not really my problem.
>>
>>10876845
Greetings, friend! I, too, am legally blind and only play games on browser emulators and my phone.
>>
24 years have passed and t _ _ _ _ _ s are still immensely butthurt about losing two generations
>>
>>10876778
I was playing on an RF modulator. I'm just learning now anyone complained about jaggies on PS2.
>>
anon you can't see jaggies on crt
>>
>>10876885
You two arguing aside he's right. The vast majority of normalfags didn't care about this at all, hobbiests definitely but you have to remember most people simply don't. Even back then they were happy to just get a DVD player that played fun games, infact I would say hyper focusing on it comes across as zoomer revisionism.
>>
>>10877035
>you can't be autistic and care about small things... because you just CAN'T, OK?
>>
>>10877039
You said everyone. You got a volatile response because you made a silly statement. The vast majority of people simply didn't care and you seething won't change that, Anon. Nowadays I think they would but it was a very different time and place which begs the question if you know that, why are you getting bent out of shape?
>>
File: urban_reign.jpg (21 KB, 265x375)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>"muh graphix!"
>can it run urban reign?
>...
check mate, what now.
>>
>>10877035
>You two arguing aside he's right.
No he isn't. The idea that you magically stop enjoying playing video games because you talked about technical aspects of gaming is retarded beyond belief.
>The vast majority of normalfags didn't care about this at all
No one claimed otherwise.
>>
>>10877046
>You said everyone.
You should see a doctor about the hallucinations you're having.
>>
>>10876845
You might just enjoy games, but I enjoy them on a deeper level than you.

Its like listening to music on laptop speakers or a phone. Yeah you're hearing the music, but you're not getting the full experience. And what it comes down to is that you only enjoy these things on a surface level.

If that's something you're proud of then go for it, but you are on a board dedicated to retro games, so a lot of the discussion here is going to be from people who want the most from their retro games.
>>
>>10877203
>You might just enjoy games, but I enjoy them on a deeper level than you.
no, you don't. you've just convinced yourself that hunting down flaws in games you like is some kind of sexual experience, whereas i enjoy games in spite of their flaws. you are an armchair intellectual and you need to go back.
>>
>>10876778
well yeah no shit I was too young to know what anti-ailiasing even was all I cared about was fart noises and exploding chickens
>>
>>10877257
In other words you've got no standards, and are unable to experience games on anything past surface level.

>dis game fun
>me like when man move on light box

That's you.
>>
>>10876778
Fuck heads who complained about jaggies ruined the ps2. Because developers were forced to turn the graphics into Vasaline smears to satisfy these retards.
>>
>>10876778
Interesting to look back on that article, but yeah the PS2 having poor video quality has been an issue since the PS2 existed. Most consumers of course never had any idea, but the same people hooked up their PS3s and 360s to flatscreen TVs with composite cables
>>
>>10877680
>people hooked up their PS3s and 360s to flatscreen TVs with composite cables
I did that
>>
>>10876778
texture filtering, anti-aliasing or other smoothing effects only bother me when it's on a nintendo system
>>
>>10877680
>but the same people hooked up their PS3s and 360s to flatscreen TVs with composite cables
I did this, and in fact it took me all the way until fucking 2011 before I realized that HDMI cables were even a thing. I was comparing footage of my 360 games to footage on the internet and thinking "WTF why do mine look blurry as shit?!" Then I digged out the console box and found an HDMI cable in it and finally figured it out. Yes, I was retarded.
>>
>>10877680
>the same people hooked up their PS3s and 360s to flatscreen TVs with composite cables
I never did this. I played my 360 on a CRT. I didn't even get an HD monitor until like 2014.
>>
>>10877680
Back in the day I hooked my PS2 and PSP to my 40 inches flat screen using composite. The huge size (for its time) was mesmerizing that whatever video deficiencies didn’t matter.
>>
>>10877680
Bro I didn't own a HD TV until 2011 so I was playing 360 on a small CRT for years
>>
>>10876778
I grew up with the SNES and Genesis and I don't even remember that
>>
>>10876892
People who are obsessed with very, very specific technical aspects usually barely even play video games and always don't actually care how good the game looks; only if it utilizes specific technologies which they equate with "good graphics". These idiots have been around forever, and you can safely ignore them.
>>
File: Chaos_Theory_XBOX.png (1.2 MB, 1040x977)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
Lack of AA and AF on xbox was far worse.
>>
>>10876892
>And ended up with one of mightiest libraries ever
Literally the only memorable PS2 game is Katamari.
>>
>>10876778
Must have been a big controversy on Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox too given 99% of games had no anti-aliasing there either.
>graphical flaws that weren't even apparent in less powerful next generation systems, like Sega's Dreamcast
See? Journalists are fucking idiots and always have been.
>>
Even from a young age I remember just not being that much of a graphic whore.
>>
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore looked worse than the Dreamcast release. Jaggies and worst lighting.

Magazines fell over themselves with the coping and justifications in reviews of the time.
>>
>>10880302
Looked worse because it is a port and devs had little experience and knowledge on the PS2 hardware in the early years of the ps2 life.
Max Payne is super bad because of this
Soldier of Fortune (a pc game ported to consoles) is a reliable display of how far behind the Dreamcast hardware was in terms of technology just 2 years after its release.
>>
>>10880302
We gonna start posting actual capture from the dreamcast version again? Last time that happened the board snapped in half. Sure you wanna open that one up?
>>
>>10876778
PS2 was definitely the jag master that Gen.
Most games on Xbox were nice and smooth. I remember being blown away by DoA3 Ultimate and how crisp and smooth all the edges were compared to my PS2.
Not every PS2 game was a jagfest, but it was definitely the most noticeable on that console.
>>
>>10876778
straight people dont play on console lmao sorry
>>
>>10880132
What a bizarre strawman.
>>
>>10876778
people didn't care since the PS2 actually had games unlike the competition at the time
>>
>>10881575
>unlike the competition at the time
Do stupid people actually believe this?
>>
>>10881581
The PS2's library utterly crushed the competition in both quality and quantity, it wasn't even remotely close
>>
>>10881589
Oh wow, you weren't joking. Kek
>>
File: playstation-2-fall-2001.png (807 KB, 1024x901)
807 KB
807 KB PNG
>>10881591
>>
>>10881603
Those are some cool game box covers. Did you reply to the wrong post?
>>
>>10881581
>>10881591
>>10881613
>three responses in
>competition had no games to use as rebuttal
>has to fall back on plebbit-tier snark
pathetic
>>
>>10881634
>plebbit-tier snark
Not sure what that means. I'm just laughing at the lies that you told.
>>
>>10876845
>>10876860
>>10876871
>>10877257
You were the type of person who watched 16:9 content on a CRT back in the day and didn't understand what the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen meant, weren't you? Or the type of person to notice the check engine light on your car but not care enough to learn more about it, so you just make the mechanic fix it.

If you don't have the natural instinct and curiosity to learn, then you're a midwit in every facet of your life. Simple as.
>>
>>10876845
>>le heckin framerate
I was on board with you until there.
>>
Golden rule of arguing on 4chan:
If you're not the 14 year old in the argument then you are arguing with a 14 year old. Enjoy "winning".
>>
>>10881572
You'll literally see it on this very board. Retards arguing that their distorted, barely legible mess of shifting pixels looks great on Playstation because it has transparencies but looks terrible on Saturn because it doesn't.
>>
>>10883118
>You'll literally see it on this very board.
and? Your claim was that people are "usually" like this, not that it happens sometimes on 4chan.
>>
>>10881814
This. Hate to use this term but all of these responses are prime examples of anti-intellectualism.
>>
File: 6164.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Damn, if only there was a way to play PS2 games with no jaggies that was even included with the console.
>>
>>10876778
IGN doesn't constitute controversy let alone "huge" controversy. It was a non-point, no one fucking cared. Either your game looked good or it didn't. Aliasing wasn't an absurd problem in an era of aliasing with new 3D and low resolutions with CRT softening edges.

This thread is literally a non-starter and adds nothing of worth to discussion besides just talking or a shit piece from IGN of all places... A place, historically known to be shit at gaming.
>>
>>10876845
>le heckin YouTube vid where I heard about these meme complaints
>>
>>10883138
>no jaggies
>actually doubles jaggies
>>
Shimmer and moire were always the actual problem and those were usually handled by hand, as in those steps shimmer horribly so get rid of them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.