[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7080.jpg (61 KB, 640x480)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
No doubt it would be as popular as FFVI or Chrono Trigger imo.
>>
File: Rmns2box (5).jpg (20 KB, 425x234)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
You mean this one.
>>
>>10877472
>>10877493
one of each woulda been awesome
>>
File: talesofp-capa.jpg (130 KB, 672x378)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Imagine if Wolf Team got to release the Arcus trilogy and Tales of Phantasia to the states?
>>
>>10878270
ToP SNES would have gotten an "okayish" Woosley translation and be seen as a holy grail RPG in the west.
SEGA fags would at least have constant debates whether Phantasy Star and Arcus is the better Wizardry-like JRPG series.
>>
>>10877472
No I don’t think so. Graphic wise it’s great, I liked the changes in music and palette during the night, and there are cool ideas. Overall it was Square’s last hurrah on the snes. Trials of mana on the other hand ....
>>
>>
>but check out THIS Japan-only SNES JRPG you've never heard of!
Wow it's boring as fuck, who could have guessed.
>>
>>10878551
/thread
>>
>>10878530
Same. The presentation is nice and the OST is great (same composer as Mystic Quest).
On the other hand I didn't like the spell system and the characters are pretty bland. It's an okay game.
>>
File: 1702244168133759.png (887 KB, 1280x720)
887 KB
887 KB PNG
>>10878771
>comparing a good game with FF USA.
you know is not the same,it will never be at all.
only reason it didn't got a port is the NTR (again).
>>
>>10877472
It's better than FFVI that's for sure.
>>
>>10877472
Cool game but it did come out very late in the SNES's lifespan after the point where Nintendo told Square to get the fuck lost since they were doing FFVII on the PlayStation. If it had been ported there I'm sure it would've gotten localized.
>>
>>10879130
Read again.
>>
>>10877472
>popular as FFVI or Chrono Trigger
with how complicated and open was the game system, i doubt normalcucks would have even made it beyond the prologue of each character. just look at the saga games. they're simply unpopular because normies find them more complicated than their usual basic bitch garbage.
>>
>>10878534
NOW WE'RE TALKING BRO
>>
>>10881671

Yeah, it's a JRPG so it isn't difficult, but it does require you to actually pay a little bit of attention. And it doesn't make the best first impression. The game just hands you a bunch of nearly identical red mages that can do everything, even things they haven't technically learned yet, and then shrugs and awkwardly sidles away to let you figure it out yourself. Plus the complicated plotlines require you to remember what was said about what your next quest is (so that you'll know where to go next) somewhat more frequently than is normal in the most popular JRPGs. Just those little bits of inaccessibility would probably have severely limited its North American audience.

(On a tangent, it's a shame the characters don't ever show any major differences from one another in battle - the magic system is awesome, but it can't carry the game by itself. Just a few character-specific features beyond "this particular red mage who can cast every spell doesn't have many MP so he should probably just swing a sword most of the time" would have helped enormously.)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.