[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1698089554835390.jpg (238 KB, 937x800)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
I have been playing video games since 1992 and I have yet to play a better TPS game
everything about this game is a legit masterpiece
>>
>>10877854
Its incredibly obvious that people who made it had deep understanding of what gameplay works best under the console's capabilities. Fine-tuning aiming speed to match the framerate, making those horizontally swept manual aiming headshots satisfying but not too easy. Dpad+shoulder buttons to strafe feels so intuitive and combat system is excellent. One of the rare games where a single headshot is a kill regardlses of the weapon, and you can also use shotguns at long range.

Terrific game. Well, entire trilogy on the ps1 is excellent really.
>>
need to play this game
its almost dizzying how many play worthy games were on the playstation given it was a new console with no brand legacy in the industry to speak of at the time
>>
>>10877882
shame the PS2/PSP games went for SOCOM gameplay instead of modernizing the PS1 gameplay.

>>10877894
devs used to love to flex their coding/art/style skills
now they just want to follow trends and insert political shit
>>
>>10877902
gameplay was the least of the problems, psp/ps2 games lacked the style and vibe of the original trilogy. They felt like generic colorful shooters of that gen instead
>>
>> Briefing
>> New-York: Finale
>> 09/13 22:00
>> Operative: Gabe Logan

>> Teresa is dead... killed by Chance, who has secretly been an Agency
operative all along.
>>He's completely covered in high-impact Kevlar
armor - even grenades won't pierce it, but you've got one goal now:

>>eliminate Chance.
>>
>>10877951
>kino BGM starts playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdxyVbZBOxU
>>
>>10877854
What are some 'underrated' PS games like this one? PS Games that are ten dollars today complete in box, but genuinely worth playing.
>>
File: Gungage.jpg (535 KB, 960x1200)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>10878320
Gungage. Play the JP version, not the slowed down PAL version, all the menus are in english and you don't need to understand the few JPN lines there are
>>
File: Brightis.jpg (2.55 MB, 1998x3493)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>10878320
Brightis, but you need to understand Japanese for this one though it works exceptionally well with retroarch's AI translation tool
>>
>>10878320
Covert Ops Nuclear Down aka Chase the Express
>>
File: Chaos Break.jpg (454 KB, 960x1200)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>10878320
Chaos Break, not great but worth a playthrough or two
>>
>>10878320
Rizing Zan
>>
>>10878320
And Duke Nukem Time to Kill
>>
>>10878330
>with retroarch's AI translation tool
the what now? that's incredible if it works half decently
>>
>>10878365
You press a button and after a second it AI translates what's on the screen. Results vary depending on the game (resolution, font, and the way it's written). Sometimes it doesn't work at all, but for Brightis, it works really well.
>>
>>10878359
worst strafe system I've ever had the displeasure of using.
>>
>>10878320
C-12 is Syphon Filter but in a post-apocalyptic setting. Also by Sony
>>
>>10878337
>that dicksucking at middle, second to bottom
>>
>>10878651
meant for>>10878334
>>
>>10878357
does this one have a PAL version?
>>
>>10878320
tenchu for me cuz of the cool movements that you can pull. Idk if underrated tho.
>>
>>10878359
This is literally Tomb Raider but with improved movement.
still nowhere near SF's fluid gameplay
>>
>>10877882
>entire trilogy on the ps1 is excellent
SF3 is an absolute abomination, the game shouldn't exist. It ruined the franchise so bad for me that it was the last SF I ever touched.
>>
>>10880560
shit opinion

its not as good as 2 but its a lot better than 1 with its endless respawns
>>
>>10877854
I liked Syphon Filter 1 but didn't feel like playing the second game right after, it looks way too similar.
>>
>>10880667
All 3 games look, feel and play absolutely the same. 2's levels are way better than anything in 1 though, there's lots of stealth stuff and also lots of pure action. Difficulty is also higher and it's fair to say there are a few bullshit trial and error parts but overall entire game is very memorable and quite long with its 2 discs.
>>
>>10880669
Thanks I'll play it eventually
>>
>>10880667
2 has the same gameplay but the same feeling or aesethic.
SF1 went for super-spy setting like James Bond and focused more on action.
SF2 was darker and had way more stealth levels
SF3 is similar to SF2 but a bit less fun
>>
>>10880669
>All 3 games look, feel and play absolutely the same
Nah, first one has slightly different movement controls. You can feel it when especially when strafing and moving forward at the same time. Feels kind of "slippery" for no better way of describing it. SF2 and 3 are the same though.
>>
>>10880663
>its a lot better than 1
Shit taste you have there, I honestly feel bad for you. SF1 plays delightfully well and the endless respawn as a drawback is a retarded take.
SF3 mechanics are as good as 1 and 2 but the game is soulless.
>>
Hello anons, just passing by to say I'm playing this for the first time, and it's actually good. Maybe it is a stretch to compare it to Deus Ex, but you probably can see where I'm coming from. A shame about the tank controls though, they could have learnt from MGS. Anyway, I have a couple of questions:
- Are you supposed to be immortal? Or maybe there is something broken with the emulator, but I have never being hurt from a bullet.
- Is stealthing/rolling actually useful? It looks like the enemy just spawns out of nowhere.
>>
>>10877854
Huh, nice thread. Seems like the Syphon Filter haters either left, or are asleep.
>>
>>10877882
Don't forget the amazing TASER
>Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhooooooooooooooiuu
>Burn scum muhuhaha
>>
>>10884439
>- Are you supposed to be immortal? Or maybe there is something broken with the emulator, but I have never being hurt from a bullet.
Not damage at all means it's definitely broken. The flak jacket takes a lot of damage and the game is forgiving in the first stages but nothing else.
>- Is stealthing/rolling actually useful? It looks like the enemy just spawns out of nowhere
Stealth is useful in specific situations. It's what you want to use to stealthy kill an enemy from behind.
Rolling it's the only defensive movement and it's useful as long as you use it to take immediate cover.
>>
bum

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.