[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2855.png (188 KB, 640x616)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
High tier puzzle game
>>
if this didnt have bing bing wahoo on it nobody would give a shit
>>
>>10877880
that's not true
>>
>>10877878
>puzzle infernal
>logique implacable
mamma mia
>>
>>10877880
There are plenty of picross games that did very well without Mario. Stop being such a miserable fucking contrarian.
>>
you need to go back to emugen and stay there
>>
>>10878902
these are as exciting as a crossword puzzle. the contrarians are the losers who hype this shit
>>
>>10878927
What if /vr/ is just /emugen/ users from /vg/?
>>
>>10877878
To be honest, as much as these are fun, these puzzle games are the least effort puzzle games you could make besides a jigsaw puzzle. You draw a single 8x8 pixel art and then puzzle is complete. There is no effort involved in terms of logic.
>>
>>10879124
>You draw a single 8x8 pixel art and then puzzle is complete
In practice that's not as easy as it sounds.
Also later much bigger 'drawings' will stump most people for hours, especially when puzzles stop reacting to wrong marks and player is still working out advanced know-how.
>>
>>10877878
None of these games are Mario's Picross, they're actually Mario Presents: Picross. Where are the Mushroom Kingdom character and item pictures.
>>
>>10879124
Let’s see your 30x30 clears, scrub.
>>
>>10877878
Why is Mario Picross 7 better than the previous 6?
>>
File: picrossnp6-1668277635887.jpg (172 KB, 1024x1024)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
There was a much better series of Picross games on the Super Famicom called Picross NP that actually do have Nintendo-themed puzzles mixed in. They were also released so late in the Super Famicom's lifespan that you get to see surreal shit like N64 stock art and Pokemon on the Super Famicom.
>>
>>10880194
Or, as I like to call it, Mario + Picross.
>>
>>10880404
That is really interesting
>>
>>10880276
>>10879279
We can presume that Nintendo knows how to draw pixel art, so it’s really low effort for them. The DS one reveals this as each chapter has a theme like baked goods, furniture, etc. And 30x30 puzzles are no different from 8x8, they just require more time and steps. It’s like those block puzzle games where you have to push the crates around.

For good puzzles, look at The Witness or Fire & Ice (if you want retro). You introduce a new idea or logic into each puzzle, not just stack on steps.

Don’t get me wrong, Picross is fun if you play 1-2 pictures a day. But it’s more like popping bubble wrap than something like Sodoku.
>>
>>10878949
>everyone's wrong but me!
Typical pseud.
>>
>>10881379
>everyone
I think you're pretty delusional about how many people actually care about this shit. Again if it didnt have bing bing wahoo on the front nobody would care. Im sure people would still enjoy it but nobody would be making threads here. There are better puzzle games that dont get threads cause they dont feature bing bing wahoo.
>>
Really bugs me that nonograms never got popular in the west but sudoku for some reason exploded. Nonograms are factually superior because when you finish you have a nice little monochrome pixel image, meanwhile when you finish sudoku all you have is a jumble of letters.
>>
>>10881510
There are plenty of picross games that did very well without Mario. Stop being such a miserable fucking contrarian.
>>
>>10880404
There eight games and none of them are translated.
>>
>>10881625
youre delulu
>>
>>10881642
>the bot broke
Shame.
>>
>>10880323
why they make 7 games? lol
>>
>>10881631
What do you need translated, exactly?
>>
>>10881625
oh yeah the series was selling so many copies they didnt even bother to release the sequels in most of the world. You're a fucking retard dude
>>
>>10882019
>picross ds
>picross 3D
>picross e1 - e9
>picross s
>pokemon picross
Why are you so mad about a game you don't even like?
>>
>>10882031
none of those are retro nigger
>>
>>10882045
The point he was making was that Picross games do well enough in the west that nearly all of them released after the Super Famicom era got western releases (they even put Super Mario Picross on the eshop untranslated a while back). There was most likely just some corporate fuckery going on in the 90s.
>>
>>10882045
Don't those goalposts get heavy, anon?
>>
>>10880404
I didnt know there were NP exclusives. Were there any other? A small wikipedia list i found shows mostly old SNES games
>>
>>10877880
>>10878949
Nope, found out about this type of puzzle (nonogram) through Picross DS which doesn't really appear to be connected to this. It's really good and so are crossword puzzles and you're probably just too stupid to enjoy this type of gameplay.
It's a really great puzzle game subgenre, especially with a touch screen/mouse - the DS version's great
Later I looked into Mario picross series and although playing through dpad and buttons now seems tedious to me I gotta say the music bangs, especially this: https://youtu.be/E29GtRJrki8?si=3ofwQpDCUrUseAEV
>>
>>10882260
That is a pretty good track, haven't heard it before. The bassline sounds DKC-esque and the beat is Mario Paint.
>>
>>10877878
still the only good Nintendo series
>>
>>10882073
Yep. The Super Famicom remake of Famicom Wars also was, along with a few others. There were also a bunch that started as NP exclusive games, but later got retail releases. Most notably one of the Fire Emblem games.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (21 KB, 259x194)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I recommend picross fans to try Guru Logic Champ from the creators of Puyo Puyo. You form the images by shooting blocks with a cannon and rotating the screen. It also have a charming presentation.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.