[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: xjrpgs.jpg (650 KB, 1584x1408)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
The only jrpgs worth a damn.
>>
>>10878089
Uhhhh not Pokemon lol, replace that with Shining Force 2 or Phantasy Star IV and you might be on to something.
I do think all these RPGs hit that real sweet spot - it feels like a like of other RPGs are either too grindy and punishing or too slow and bloated.
>>
Golden Sun is pretty good :D
>>
Naw.
>>
>>10878089
Dragon Quest on the whole is superior to the top row.

>>10878093
Pokemon is absolutely fucking brilliant, but mostly in ways that JRPG diehards don't seem to care about.
>>
>>10878089
I would say that Dragon Quest V does belong on that list as a represent of the series.

Also depends on your definition of JRPG but Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter should be there also in my opinion.
>>
File: rocketredvsfirered.png (243 KB, 560x560)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>10878089
>shitmake
drink bleach
>>
>>10878089
Explain what FF6 does does FF10 doesn't do better
Explain what Chrono Trigger does that a million indie RPGs don't do

FF7, SMRPG, Earthbound, Pokemon - sure
>>
>>10878217
Lol ffx is a corridor. Just watch a movie.
>>
>>10878229
Ok but it's still better than FF6 in every other way so it's a fine tradeoff
>>
>earthbound
opinion discarded
>>
>>10878194
>I would say that Reddit Quest V does belong on that poser-core list
agreed
>>
I'd have wild arms on that list, personally. And fire red is not the best game to represent the series, should have gone with ruby.
>>
>5 of the 6 games listed are tendie
I sure wonder who's behind this post...
Anyways, Phantasy Star 4 and Shining Force 2 belong here before any other 16-bit JRPG, and SquareSoft's PlayStation output mogs any of these SNES titles.
>>
>>10878410
JRPGs became cringe movieslop after 4th gen
>>
>>10878089
>Earthbound
>Final Fantasy 7
>>>>Pokémon

Try again, m8
>>
>>10878089
Final Fantasy 5 is better than all of them
>>
>>10878606
Based as fuck
>>
>>10878089
>turn based rpgs
yucky ew bleh!
>>
>>10878606
I'll at least give you credit for not being such an ultra hipster that you're claiming 4 is actually the best.
>>
>>10878093
>>10878410
>Shining Force 2 or Phantasy Star IV
>Sega trannies have to pretend these are good because they have nothing else
jej
>>
>>10878089
FRLG are the worst GBA Pokemon games, you can't dispute this.
>>
File: 3x3 ps1.jpg (152 KB, 807x803)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>10878089
>>10878740
Eh,pokemon was never good, Arc the Lad 2 was leagues better than pokemon and it had monster taming as a side hustle.
https://youtu.be/DyT4kN0lr8E?t=168
this was released the same year, you can used captured monsters and party members in fights.

>>10878138
that's babby's first rpg my guy

>>10878089
this list is cringe

>Super Mario RPG
>Chrono Trigger
>FFVI
Amazing for the time, and still pretty good; but there have been better rpgs since.

>Earthbound
An interesting take on the Jrpg formula, but it felt dated no more than a year from when it came out

The REDO, has made it obsolete

There were many RPGs that superceeded the list.
>>
>>10878738
>they have nothing else
After Armageddon, Aisle Lord, Arslan Senki, Beggar Prince, Cosmic Fantasy CD, Dark Wizard, Langrisser 1&2, Legend Wukong, Lunar 1&2, Phantasy Star 2, Pier Solar, Shining Force 1/CD, Shining in the Darkness, Vixen 357, Pirates Gold, Dune II, Herzog Zwei.
Mega Drive was stacked with quality RPG's and strategy games, far moreso than SNES.
>>
>>10878089
>baby first rpg.
we alaready knew faggot.
if you want grown up rpg you go with draquest (the only one worth it) or go with seven saga,bahamut lagoon,tales of phantasia,star ocean just to name a few.
>but muuhh sterile and sexless experience
it didn't exist in the first place is just poor translation and nothing else.
>peach using dildo,peach being so slutty she was searching who to marry (between bookie,koopa,mario and the rest of the party)
>NTR stuff on square games.
your age shows up with the games choices.
>>
>>10878813
SNES has a bunch of literal who generic slop like this too but no one has to pretend they're good
>>
>>10878410
shining force isnt even a jrpg nigger its an srpg. jrpgs are dragon quest style games not just any rpg from Japan. I remember this retardation started appearing around the time kingdom sharts came out and the genre attracted a bunch of new retards
>>
>>10878239
better graphics don't make a game better,this has been shown a lot by square.
FFX while seemed interesting,is not a game made by the father of FF and by then sakaguchi was already retired.
>>10878265
I thought leddit /vr/ games are all the final fantasy games,it was what we all agreed upon before.
>real /vr/ games : dragon quest,phantasy star,star ocean.
>leedit : any final fantasy.
>>
File: 1706389239175048.png (219 KB, 326x306)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
You are all wrong.
>>
File: file.png (120 KB, 225x225)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>10878425
JRPGs were always cringe movieslop.
The question is which cringe movieslop is the best.
And the answer is simple
>>
>>10878089
If those were the best, the what's left must be pretty bad.
For years I've heard that FF6 is the best of the best, nothing compares.

But then you play it and get bored when you kill Vargas.

>Kefka is the best villain ever in an RPG or a game.

Oh, you mean the guy that is only evil. Evil and nothing else.
Someone with no place at all to be anything else than evil?

Not even want to the Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Mario RPG,
and pokemon

You posted the normiest of the normiest.
>>
>>10878826
You have a dozen decent SNES games and that's it. That's all you have, that's all you will ever have, there is nothing else to play or discover, you will forever be replaying the same games over and over. Sad existence.
>>
>>10879035
99% of """retro""" g*mers have not played through those dozen g*mes once. They mostly just jerk off to buying things
>>
>>10878089
the only jrpgs you've played apparently
>>
>>10878425
Dark Souls?
>>
>>10878089
>The only jrpgs worth a damn.
For dilettantes.
>>
>no smt
>>
>>10878089
>only JRPGS worth a damn
>is literally a JRPG starter pack
>>
>>10879698
>Nocturne purists vs. everyone with sense
>>
>>10879701
Yes, that's what's sad about the genre. Its diehards will swear up and down that the REAL good games are actually always these crazy obscure games that only people super into the genre would know about, and you have to work your way up through simple mainstream games to find the gems or whatever. The reality is that the best it has to offer are precisely the most popular, and there are no obscure hipster games that actually have more gameplay depth or better executed stories.
>>
>>10878145
Idk what it is about SF, but just looking at footage of it, I always got the impression that it's an incoherent, random mess just throwing things together.
>>
>>10878089
No, that's literally just "I searched JRPG on google and these were the first 6 results"
>>
>>10880304
The jews murdered JFK, bombed the USS Liberty, and bombed the Twin Towers. Then they poisoned you.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.