[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: F1Qyi-CaUAATqbY.jpg (286 KB, 850x1200)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
Could I get some general tips on the original .hack games? I always get so far in Infection before the mimics absolutely filter me.

Anything helpful that comes to mind is much appreciated.
>>
>>10878601
Buy lots of items and use them.
Also command your party more, I usually set my healer to only attack or do nothing and manually use their skills rather than leaving it up to them and having no mp when I need it
>>
>>10878759
That's a good idea. Maybe I just need to come in a bit more prepared with mimics as what they tend to do is cast confusion on several party members and then I'm just watching the characters kill each other till game over. Also, I'll go ahead and get in the practice of manually controlling the party. Admittedly, in Infection I don't worry about it too much as the characters rarely run out of MP (probably as it's part one so the mp checks aren't too crazy).
>>
>>10878601
you can move slightly and animation cancel your attack, then attack again faster than normal
most of the time you are going to want to spam skills, drink SP items
you can also use the charms that also cast spells
>>
>>10878601
Mimics are a pain. The further along you get in the game the more you'll become the designated healer and be encouraged to stand back. This advice will be useful for the end boss in Infection. Early on rely on bringing items for dealing with status effects if you don't have any spells to cure it.
>>
>>10879031
>>10879332
Sounds like items are the way to go till I get some healing gear then.

And yeah, there's nothing more painful then grinding deep into a dungeon, getting several levels, then dying to a random mimic that confuses kite and has him kill my party in two or three hits. Also, is there any point to keeping all the characters well equipped and leveled up? Seems like some of them are sort of asinine.
>>
>>10879646
IIRC in Infection you get very little variety in gear, specially for buffs/debuffs/heal so items are your answer. The final boss will be a non-stop match of throwing potions at everyone. The next games start offering some better choices to allow more customization.
>Also, is there any point to keeping all the characters well equipped and leveled up?
To some extent. There's occasional moments where some characters aren't available so it's a good idea to keep everyone decently leveled just in case although characters like Blackrose are obviously more meaningful for the story so they take priority. There will be some grinding at some points so just take some guys you'd normally wouldn't use.
>>
>>10878601
really bad series, just do yourself a favor, skip the game and watch a youtube video for the "story"
>>
File: Hulleganz.jpg (50 KB, 400x566)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
It's wild, no matter how many times I attempt to start this game something about it instantly draws me in. Considering it's a series I've wanted to beat since high-school I'm making it a point to get through it this time.
and a quick aside, playing these on the steam deck is MAXIMUM comf.

>>10879702
I was thinking that might be the case. There's a particularly tough fight early on with Elk and Mia as well due to the party composition being so bad at that point, nobody being up to level, and everyone's SP being so low. It's good to hear that aspect gets better after Infection.
>>
>>10879646
>is there any point to keeping all the characters well equipped and leveled up?
is an rpg,by the second game you will need to level up as much as you can.
by the point of finding tsukasa and all the others on the fourth game you will need to be at the highest level you can along having the rarest items in the game.
>>10879724
you didn' play the game at all we know it,if you want the more or less story you watch the anime which is before the game happens woth the first victims of the game being shown,after that you start the games is common sense.
And is better then *insert your favorite title here".
>>
>>10879791
>it's actually a good game, bro! they pretend to be a real mmorpg by taking all the worst low effort stuff like low drop rates and then combine it with soulless randomly generated dungeons that never end!
>>
>>10879791
[Spoiler]you gotta get better about spoilers man.[/spoiler]
>>
>>10879791
Should I watch Sign before getting to Fragment?
>>
>>10878759
>command your party more

It's funny, all the times I've attempted this game I really didn't touch that menu much but now that I am I'm breezing through most encounters. It also shows you just how many skills you can have under your characters at any given time. Just had an incident with mimics and was able to beat them relatively well, you just have to stand back and command
>>
>>10880218
Actually, in a way it kinda reminds me of FFXII's combat system now.
>>
>>10880218
I cannot get over how huge this is. You can actually control the pace of combat and properly space.
>set up wavemaster to cast a spell on an enemy or group of enemies and keep them in place
>send in a melee character to keep the problematic enemies in place or target the one enemy that will give you the most trouble
>be able to keep Kite mid range if spells are more effective or go in close

It's wild they tucked such an important menu away and seemingly push the auto-attack options (ie: use skills, use healing, etc). Where as before it was a slow grind, I'm flying through the game now.
>>
>>10879768
That was my case too. I don't think I beat Infection back then and didn't even know about the other games. Only recently did I bother going for it and finally see it through. Can't say it was worth the wait.
>>
>>10878601
There are three types of armor
>Heavy armor only useable by Blademasters, Heavy Blades, and Heavy Axemen.
>Medium armor is useable by all classes exept for Wavemaster
>Light armor useable by every class

There aren't balanced at all. Heavy Armor gives more physical defense while Light Armor gives better spells, status resistance against the actual dangerous status effects and more magical defense (which is far more important than physical defense especially against bosses).

Always use characters from the heavy classes (Blademasters, Heavy Blades, and Heavy Axemen) but give them light armor.
>>
>>10880805
>that spoiler
You aren't the first person I've heard that from. I've also heard the story sorts drops off after Infection.
>>10880848
That's good to know. I probably would have just kept equipping the heavy armor to the heavy classes. So I'm guessing after Infection Kite should become the dedicated caster.
>>
>>10881262
>I've also heard the story sorts drops off after Infection.
The story does have its moments and the characters are enjoyable but it's pretty obvious how unbelievably stretch thin IMOQ is, likely for the sake of selling the same game four times. To give you an idea there's a boss called Cubia that you fight in Mutation. You better hope you find this boss good because it won't be the last time you fight him, completely unchanged, and in Quarantine the same fight drags on for like 5 times in a row, still unchanged. And it's not a very good fight.
This series has some interesting ideas but good god does it like to waste your time never getting to the point. Just watch Sign for an example. It's like 25 episodes long and most of them feel like a rerun.
If it wasn't obvious I have a love/hate relationship with this series.
>>
>>10881369
A lot of people do. CC2 excels at concepts, atmosphere, OST, and art direction (and later, animation)... it's the execution they always fumble on. If you're an artsy fartsy kind of person then their games will always have one or two things that will hook and draw you in. Their gameplay rarely goes beyond serviceable at best though.
>>
>>10881413
Basically. Damn shame since I really do like some of its concepts.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.