[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: metal slug 3.jpg (189 KB, 890x890)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
How the hell did they ever expect anyone to finish this on one credit? Or was it just meant to vacuum up all your quarters while you turn off your brain?
>>
>>10880476
>How the hell did they ever expect anyone to finish this on one credit?
They didn't
>>
>>10880476
Are you unaware why arcade games were made?
>>
>>10880476
The earlier slugs are doable for a 1CC but this one seems like it was built to be an endurance test
>>
Duh. It's an arcade game.
>>
>>10880501
>>10880670
wish people didn't just reply in memes around here
>>
>>10880697
Maybe you wouldn't get "meme" answers if you were not being retarded about very basic things you should be aware of.
>>
>>10880728
>hurr durr all arcade game munch credits
>>
>>10880731
yes thats pretty much the point of arcade games and before you can 1cc any given game you are gonna credit feed like theres no tomorrow
>>
>>10880476
pretty sure ms3 has an element of "we're sorry ms2 ran like absolute shit, here's an extra long and epic game to hopefully make up for that. also it's the last one we're gonna do." that's just my headcanon though
>>
With the exception of that red lion statue boss the game's not too hard. I think 3 was my first 1CC, but that was over a decade ago.
>>
Arcade games are designed to eat quarters
>>
It is possible, only the last mission is somewhat complicated, the rest is easy
>>
>>10880986
>I am utterly incompetent: the post
>>
>>10881707
Plenty of them actively discourage it.
>>
>>10881707
there are arcade games that are perfectly feasible for a 1CC, and there are arcade games that are not. At this point nobody is dumping credits into a real machine to learn to 1CC a game. Harping on this point over and over tells me you don’t play arcade games and are almost certainly terrible at them
>>
>>10882161
why does the fact that arcade machines are designed to make money frustrate you so much?
>>
>>10882280
Everybody knows that they’re designed to make money, but you bring up the point over and over with no insight into the actual games, as if it’s new information, because you don’t play them and are bad at them.
>>
File: 1707458035407029.gif (2.92 MB, 464x580)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB GIF
>>10882297
>you bring up the point over and over
I'm not the guy you're arguing with I'm just a weary traveler passing by threads
>>
>>10882310
How now, brown cow
>>
>>10880476
even the most kind arcades were supposed to eat you 20/30 buck of credits before a 1cc.
>>
>>10880476
>>10882161
You are looking at it the wrong way. Arcade Developers don't "make" games with 1CC in mind.

1CC is something extra you do as a Fan of a game. It means you love a game so much that you mastered it inside and out. That you spent thousands of hours learning every single detail that you can play it with muscle memory and without dying.

If you can pull off 1CC, then good for you. But no developer is thinking about 1CC when making the game. The 1CC community is irrelevant.
>>
>>10882343
>You are looking at it the wrong way. Arcade Developers don't "make" games with 1CC in mind
If you read any interview with Irem or Cave staff you'll learn that they absolutely do.
Not only they make special challenges for pros who intend to 1CC the game (this is how rank systems were born), but they also have bets and estimations for how long it will take for a player to 1cc.
>>
>>10882343
If no developers were thinking about the high-level players who do learn things in detail and put effort into beating them, then arcade games would be cynical endless pay-to-progress content treadmills like Candy Crush.
And don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of arcade games like that, but there are also plenty that are intricately crafted on purpose.
>>
File: dodon.png (41 KB, 840x276)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>10882343
>no developer is thinking about 1CC when making the game
>>
File: handb.jpg (46 KB, 625x626)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>10882343
>That you spent thousands of hours learning every single detail that you can play it with muscle memory and without dying.
>If you can pull off 1CC, then good for you. But no developer is thinking about 1CC when making the game. The 1CC community is irrelevant.
>>
>>10882386
Shitters actually believe that.
>>
/shmupg/ must be very boring if this guy always comes here to rant about metal slug and his precious 1ccs.
>>
>>10882391
shmupg has been dead for months bro
>>
>>10882349
They only did this years later after they discovered a community of individuals doing this and even then it was not the norm for most devs.
>>
>>10882141
>I am the utterly: incompetent post
>>
>>10882343
god you are so clueless. jp game dev most certainly made games with 1CC in mind. they excepted players to put in large amount of credits in order to LEARN the games and how to score/1CC them. a game that's so badly designed it is impossible to 1CC and/or score would have not been interresting to the arcade crowds. most game also invalidate any score made with credit feeding. some games even prevent to see the full content of them if you credit feed.
>>
>>10882404
Very old arcade games were designed to be beaten in one run and often made it extremely hard to do otherwise.
Think about Gradius, Darius or R-Type. Recovering from death in those games is so hard it makes credit feeding pointless.
>>
>>10882409
Your issue is assuming all devs had this intention and the idea that 1cc was the selling point that made the majority want to play it.
>>
>>10882428
The journey for the 1CC was what made players come back over and over again. It's not casuals who filled the machines with coins.
>>
>>10882419
That is more a developer oversight of that era as opposed to intentional design.
>>
>>10882432
>It's not casuals who filled the machines with coins.
On the global income scale it absolutely was.
>>
File: irem meeher.png (50 KB, 927x252)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>10882436
It was very deliberate.

>>10882441
Most Japanese arcade games weren't made with a global market in mind, getting published worldwide was a privilege.
>>
>>10882343
I have a REALLY good counter-example to that, but I fear if I say it, it'll give the 1cc autist more shitposting ammo in the future.
>>
hi mariax
>>
The whole reason 1 credit play throughs were impressive at all was from the fact it should have been absurdly difficult or near impossible for the average player to do. While later devs of more niche genres may have kept track of continues used because they were aware of a growing number of players focused on beating them in one run, the only genre where this may have been a key focus of the devs would have been in hardcore shooting games that specifically appealed to that audience that was paying to play them(mostly the later half of the 90s).

The average arcade title was meant to be big, impressive and addictive as the key features to draw in players. A high score ranking was the only thing most arcade goers were aware of and never assumed the connection to clearing the game in one go to be the intended way a game was designed to be.

In the case of Metal Slug, the stuff by SNK doesn't have a particular reputation of being a fair experience to "beat" to begin with.
>>
>>10880484
1cc is solely for enthusiasts. Alternatively, it's from autism.
>>
>>10882454
That quote goes against the very intended design you are arguing for. If the checkpoints are so shit that you cant recover from them, then it shows that guy is talking out his ass about being repeatable puzzles.
>>
>>10882507
It is possible to recover from death in those games, but the recovery process is a deliberately difficult additional challenge, which is why he calls it a puzzle.
Checkpoints in shmups serve the double purpose of adding extra interest for pros and making losers leave the machine so that other customers can play.
Back then arcade games were popular enough to make it work.
>>
>cites three games LEGENDARY for the fact that they become hard as fuck after dying because you get thrown back into the action with no time to recover your powerups >>10882419
>posts interview about how checkpoints are good because they give the player a chance to re-prepare themselves before a challenge >>10882454
>then goes on a tangent about how it's good you were thrown into a situation that's near impossible to recover from >>10882527
You're an idiot.
>>
>>10880476
SNK, like Williams or Midway or Konami, did not care fi you could 1cc their games or not and often designed them to be near impossible to 1cc. In Konami's case, some of their games are literally impossible to beat without dying.
>>
File: WMMT6RRmain.jpg (147 KB, 672x1080)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>10882362
>arcade games would be cynical endless pay-to-progress content
There's actually a series of arcade machine racers that do just that.
>>
>>10882904
I don't necessarily think it's good, I can't handle recovery in Gradius and R-Type myself and had to 1CC them out of necessity.
I'm mentioning these shmups and interviews because they prove that most arcade games are not meant to be beaten by mindlessly credit-feeding. Those games were designed to discourage continue spam and rewarded skill and strategy (which still require lots of repeated play to achieve, but it's far from pay to win).
Sure arcade games wanted you to spend money on them, but most of them offered a fair and honest challenge.
>>
>>10880476
the ammount of quarters you spent is probably less than an actual game would cost
I tested it once
then you have a game you can enjoy a shitload for a quarter
>>
>how did arcade game developer expect you to beat this on one credit
???
>>
>>10882349
>>10882362
>>10882369
>>10882386
>>10882409
Nothing you posted counters what I wrote. Developers made their games for the casual audience in mind. Challenging but not too difficult. Sure the game might have presented some challenges that you autistic people love (because your brain lovea puzzles), but the general idea is too sell as many copies of the game as possible and be successful. Not to cater to some niche 1CC group.

1CC is a personal achievement. Nothing more.
>>
>>10882983
Players replaying and improving was a huge bulk of their income. A casual hopping on the cab, feeding some quarters and then moving on is not going to earn you money like someone continually coming back and spending hours and at a time day after day learning a game and continually paying quarters. Unless the game is just insanely popular and in the middle of a big city with nearly 100% uptime, those enthusiast players are going to make up the bulk of your money, just like whales do in F2P games.
>>
>>10882343
You have to 1CC Haunted Castle. You only get one life and three continues, and you can't insert credits for extras.
>>
>>10883000
>Players replaying and improving was a huge bulk of their income.
Game Developers don't get a cut of arcade plays. Their only revenue was from arcade businesses buying their game to put into cabinets, or from console players buying their game. Arcade cabinet income goes straight to the arcade business owner.
>>
>>10883039
>Their only revenue was from arcade businesses buying their game to put into cabinets
Which is something they tend to do when the games have the potential to attract a solid audience.
>>
>>10882428
>>10882409
Come on guys, quit being that it has to be "this" or "that". You can simply design for appeal for both.
A game that is enjoyable to pick up and get a few levels casually, and is also enjoyable to master.
There is a reason why the first 2 or 3 levels of most 90s and after shmups are rather easy, that is the section that is designed for wide appeal. For the people who just want to hop from machine to machine. And the remainder and especially 2nd loops, are for the enthusiasts.
>>
>>10883058
That's a lot of words to say "OK I was wrong."
>>
>>10883063
I'm not even the same person.
>>
>>10883059
Nobody is denying that arcade games were meant to be fun for quick casual play, but denying that they were deliberately designed to be beatable with one credit is ridiculous.
>>
>>10882921
this is true, but they wouldn't survive unless they were also awesome to play.
>>
>>10882983
In the retro era in the west, everything was about "challenge". The average player was expected to want challenge and to enjoy it. The proofs of this are everywhere.

As for niches, yes in the 80s and 90s a lot of games were made for niches, and the devs could live on that and sell 20k copies because the dev costs weren't astronomical.
>>
>>10883854
Metal Slug is not a niche game.

>the dev costs weren't astronomical.
Doesn't matter. SNK was in huge debt and needed games that could sell big.
>>
Of course this thread was gonna get a bunch of arguing. Holier-than-thou retards who have to act like arcades weren't just ripoff machines
>"No you did it wrong!"
>"No you just need to git gud!"
>"But game X was different!"
>>
How has no one ever thought to hack Metal Slug games to make them fair?
>>
remember the era when games were meant to be just played and be happy

remember when games were games

remember when we were happy

we blame corporations, companies, etc when in reality it is YOU and only (You) the one bitching about 1CC and autistic cancerous shit
>>
>>10885414
It's not our fault you grew up poor and/or lived too far away from any arcade machines.

Now 20 years later you stalk arcade threads on 4chan and lash out in resentment.
>>
>>10885447
if you're pumping quarters to not die, you might as well be watching a let's play
but there was no let's playing or youtube back then, which is kinda the whole thing with arcades. a relic of the past
>>
>>10885453
>It's not a ripoff, it's just gaming for the burgeouise class!
Yes that's exactly the kinda retard arguing I expected
>>
>>10885492
Anon you need accept you were poor. You were not middle class during your childhood.
>>
>>10885453
Agreed. Dude is complaining about putting in QUARTERS. Lmao. He's telling on himself.
>>
>>10885561
It's because I was middle-class that I was able to spend money on arcades and realize how much of a ripoff they are.
Someone poor wouldn't even think of it that way, he would just see it as an opportunity to play video games for the first time. He would play it a couple times and then that's that. Technically arcades are for poor people by logical nature. But of course greed won in the end and it stopped being about that by the end
>>
>>10885579
>It's because I was middle-class that I was able to spend money on arcades and realize how much of a ripoff they are.
You were not middle class. Complaining about quarters is not middle class. Get a job anon.

>>10885565
Exactly. I spend more money on going to the local Laundromat to do my laundry. And this loser anon complains about quarters. Washing machines cost more than arcade machines.
>>
>>10885565
If you weren't a retard you'd know arcade games take different amounts of money, not just quarters. Depends on what they feel like charging
>>
>>10880476
With practice and good reflexes.
>>
>>10885585
You tell me to get a job and you use a laundromat? Have you considered buying a washing machine? Too expensive for ya?

Oh no now I'm engaging the retards in their retard quibbling
>>
>>10885595
>You tell me to get a job and you use a laundromat?
Yes because you bitch about quarters. Don't realize how pathetic that sounds? Get a job.
>>
>>10885614
Are you just projecting that you yourself were/are poor?
Sorry, bro

Sometimes life sucks. Defending arcades is not the right thing to do though. They were generally greedy wallet wiping machines. Hell it's because you played so much arcade that you can't afford a washing machine now
>>
>>10885619

Every single post you whine about arcades taking your quarters. Its pathetic. Get a job and stop whining.
>>
>>10885484
what
wrong post? i dont see what your reply has to do with my post
>>
>>10885492
>gaming for the burgeouise class
Going to the arcade was for poorfags who couldn't afford consoles. You were poor. I was poor. It's okay to accept that anon.
>>
>>10885661
>Going to the arcade was for poorfags who couldn't afford consoles
what the fuck? i thought i went to arcades because i just fucking, you know, COULD? because it was just THERE??

current generation mindset
>>
>>10885672
If you were poor then you had no other options but arcades. You would never have enough money for a console.

The modern poorfag equivalent is emulation.
>>
>>10885686
?
>>
>>10885690
Cleary you didn't grow up in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>10881256
I would think X better fits that role, it fixed all the issues with 2 and added in new content.
>>
>>10885695
not our fault you were poor and experienced a poor life lmao

i already know you're a troll
>>
>>10885686
>If you were poor then you had no other options but arcades.
this is true for the cartridges gens. more than the consoles themselves games were quite expensive, and good luck about budget prices, you had still to pay no less than 30/40 dollars for them.
>>
>>10885769
Exactly. Poor kids would only have a few dollars in their pocket at the best of times. No way you could ever buy a console, accessories, AND games. That's several hundred dollars.
>>
>>10885652
>bro just don't bitch about 1cc
>but i don't want to pump quarters in, it's stupid, that barely counts as playing a game
>whaaaaat? what's that got to do with my post??
>>
>>10885661
Funny how you turned it on its head because the guy was saying I was poor for not wanting to put quarters in. Turns out he really was projecting.
Because yes, arcades really are targeted at poor people. But the reality is that what you were getting for the money you put in was typically shit value, so if you were going to the arcades on a regular basis and trying to beat games, you were getting ripped off
>>
>>10885815
You can't play arcade games at home in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>10885745
You already admitted in another thread that you didn't grow up near arcades and your family didn't make much money. You can stop pretending.
>>
>>10885853
plenty of arcade ports in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>10885867
>ports
Key word here. Ports. Weaker graphics. Missing features. Missing animation. Worse audio. Worse video.
>>
>>10885870
There were arcade-perfect ports already in the 90s. 80s you'd be more right
>>
>>10885881
There were no "arcade perfect" ports until Sega Dreamcast came out in 1999.
>>
>>10885889
Not true. Tekken 3 is the game that legendarily broke the arcade port curse.
And that's just the one that everyone always mentions. Plenty of other games to talk about like on Neo-Geo, Saturn and such but I'm not an expert so don't ask me
>>
>>10885908
Tha "arcade version" of Tekken 3 was just released Playstation hardware with a few mods.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.