[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png (174 KB, 300x298)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
First time playing Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. I'm a zoomer. Original or remake? I like PS1 graphics, but I also like modern graphics, especially if the modern graphics are soulful and done tastefully and with good art direction.
Also, duckstation, or mednafen? I usually play PS1 games with mednafen, I heard it's the most accurate. I don't mind the lack of UI at all.
>>
>>10881257
>but I also like modern graphics, especially if the modern graphics are soulful and done tastefully and with good art direction.
Same, unfortunately those remakes just like 99 % of the industry doesn't fit this criteria so play the originals
>duckstation, or mednafen
I don't know I use duckstation and I think it's great
>>
>>10881257
The originals feel great and in a number of ways are better than the remakes. Especially load times. These games have excellent artwork that isn't preserved in a remake as many things are changed with modern rendering features thrown on that clash at times with the clean and simple and comprehensible image of the looney tunes worlds of Crash or the story book scenery in Spyro. Spyro didn't improve by adopting some of wowcrafts design language.

Whatever emulator you like is fine, these games have played well since the shitty epsxe 1.6 days but whatever you use, original hw or emulation should be good these days. From my understanding people like duckstation because of how it addresses perceived flaws, spyro and crash are both technical showpieces that completely overcame limitations of the PS1 and can be scaled any which way and look great.
>>
>>10881257
>Original or remake?
Original. The remakes fucked up Crash's hitbox, making you slide down if you're too close to an edge. In most levels it won't affect you too much, but it completely ruins the levels Road to Nowhere and The High Road.
In the case of Spyro I'd play the originals for their art style. The remakes of Spyro 2 and 3 feel kind of rushed anyway.
>>
>>10881265
>>10881275
>>10881318
Thanks bros, I was leaning towards the classics, too. Especially since I'm playing them not just for fun, but to learn from them as an aspiring gamedev.
>>
>>10881257
Remake. Looks better, significantly lower input lag, runs at 240fps+ compared to 30fps, and they added time trials to all stages. Just overall a much smoother experience.
>>
>>10881257
>asking /vr/ this question
always OG
simple as

the updated gfx are hardly what id call "modern looking" anyways, so go for the real mccoy
spyro in particular leans into the limitations of PS1 gfx really well. its like a watercolor painting, but done in polygons.
and crash may not look terribly impressive from a modern PoV, but for what it was doing that early on in the PS1 lifespan see shit like croc for ex, its very impressive. game runs really well and did things that werent necessarily thought to be possible on the hardware. and compared with other early 3D platformers on the console, it controls like butter

IMPORTANT: i often see zoomers playing these games with analog sticks. id advise against it. both crash and spyro were developed before the dualshock was the main pad everyone had, so youre kinda just playing with digital inputs still, but with a clunkier control. i think they DO have some limited functionality with it iirc spyro does, but it doesnt add much
>>
>>10881627
Crash plays better with the dpad, but there's no reason not to play Spyro with the analog stick. In Spyro you're moving around in fully 3D worlds and they're not precision platformers.
>>
>>10881645
i just dont think it actually helps in spyro
unless you really wanna see him trot along for whatever reason
most of spyros movement was designed with 8-way digital input in mind, so it just ends up being a slightly slower way to input the same thing
>>
>>10881617
The Crash remakes are inferior when it comes to actual gameplay.

The Spyro remakes were developed by actual retards who tied gameplay functionality to framerate, so plenty of things break when you try to run the remakes at anything over 30fps.
>>
its definitely huge in crash tho
even the later games are much more difficult if using the stick
>>
>>10881658
>most of spyros movement was designed with 8-way digital input in mind
Sure, but that doesn't mean analog input in a fully 3D space isn't superior. There is literally no downside to it in Spyro.
>slightly slower
Sounds like a (You) problem.

>>10881664
True.
>>
>>10881662
>The Spyro remakes were developed by actual retards who tied gameplay functionality to framerate, so plenty of things break when you try to run the remakes at anything over 30fps.
lol id heard this but didnt know if it was just /vr/ being /vr/
is that because it was on unreal engine?
seems this happens a lot with unreal, tho its unclear to me if its a result of the engine, or lazy devs
>>
>>10881662
I'm not talking about Spyro... Crash remakes are far superior as the controls are better, the framerate is significantly better (240fps vs. 30fps with frequent dips), the input lag is much better, and they also added tons of QoL changes such as analog controls (which feel great), box counts, bounce boxes only needing five bounces (way less tedious), adding cut levels, improved graphics and art style while keeping original theme, time trials/relics for all games, and improved physics so the game doesn't just play itself, etc. but at the same time it's also much more difficult and satisfying.

Really no reason to play the original, a 30fps platformer with frequent dips and large amounts of input lag just doesn't feel good to play. The physics were much more forgiving because you couldn't really expect precision from such a sloppy and laggy game.
>>
>>10881682
lel tf you even talking about?
who tf needs 240FPS on fucking anything? let alone crash 1?

also
>they made the remakes easier with tons of QoL changes
>btw its harder
youre out of it my dude
>>
>>10881682
>I'm not talking about Spyro
OP asked about both, hence why I mentioned Spyro as well.
>Crash remakes are far superior, the controls are better
The pill-shaped collision boxes in the remake ruin it, making you slide down edges if you land too close to them. Nothing superior about it.
>>
>>10881257
Original of course, it's a graphical masterpiece for it's time.
Remakes do look like a damn Dreamworks movie though.
>>
>>10881698
Why would you not want a higher framerate when it improves game feel, motion clarity, and input lag? Why are you defending 30fps with high input lag and frequent drops...?

>they made the remakes easier with tons of QoL changes
Maybe because I didn't say that you fucking retard? Where did I ever say the QoL changes made it easier? Do you know what a QoL change is? Quality of Life doesn't mean 'make the game dumbed down baby shit' you fucking imbecile. Yes, the game is harder because it actually requires proper input and movement, but this is supported by better controls, framerate, and input lag.

You are a fucking idiot. Do not ever reply to me again wasting my time with this drivel.
>>
>>10881715
>ruined collision in a 3D platformer
>better
lmao
The remake fucked up the gameplay.
>>
>>10881698
At 48 fps or more you can get perfect motion clarity.
30 fps flicker is too much, so I doubt anyone uses bfi with such low frequency so you end up with blurry mess.
>>
Too much shit in the Crash remakes is broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2PG-jtUwfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWo5EWQx50
>>
>>10881715
>Why would you not want a higher framerate
cuz you dont need it
>when it improves game feel, motion clarity, and input lag?
cuz it doesnt do any of that

also like >>10881718 said
shits borked

>>10881725
>crash is blurry
then git glasses
or git gud
>>
>>10881727
You could make thousands of examples like this with something like Super Mario 64 alone. I spent 50+ hours across the games and got 100% in each one and never encountered any hitbox issues. You can't hang with one pixel on a ledge and stay on it, and that's fine.
>>
File: doom shig.png (199 KB, 480x360)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>10881737
>You could make thousands of examples like this with something like Super Mario 64 alone
then go make a jewtube video on that and spare us your fucking autism. prolly get 6gorillion views.

>telling people to play a fucking modern cashgrab remake of anything on /vr/
shiggy
>>
>>10881737
I finished them and encountered at least a few collision issues every hour.
>You can't hang with one pixel on a ledge and stay on it, and that's fine.
It's way worse than "one pixel". No need to be dishonest.
>>
>>10881729
you either never seen a 60 fps game or never seen a crt
>>
>>10881749
nah
youre just autistic
games fine

go count milliseconds in the corner if it makes you feel any better
>>
I think Spyro Reignited is what birthed the famous soul vs soulless meme lmao. Am I remembering things right?
>>
File: 1708308178009302.gif (2.59 MB, 200x150)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB GIF
>>10881768
>go count milliseconds in the corner if it makes you feel any better
Fucking kek
>>
>>10881804
It was definitely around before Reignited, but it certainly made it much more popular.
>>
File: even Crash gets it.jpg (189 KB, 640x712)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>10881257
always originals first. other anons have already given enough reasons. having said that, I don't outright hate the remakes. It felt like playing a glorified fan game.
>>
>>10881946
Man bottom looks trash compared to the original. Do they seriously make games using readily available assets nowadays? Because it sure looks like it
>>
I'm really not against remakes in general but something about the crash one just feels worse than the originals. The spyro one is a give or take for me.
>>
>>10881946
I had no idea the remake looked so ugly
>>
>>10881257
>duckstation, or mednafen
uhh I'm still using epsxe
>>
File: nst vs ps1 upstream.jpg (738 KB, 1896x2136)
738 KB
738 KB JPG
>>10881961
>>10882198
to be completely fair, that one image shows the remake at its absolute worst vs the original. its not like that all the time. there's also some unfavorable compression on the remake image. here's a more neutral comparison, for example.
>>
>>10881804
it's because they hired furries to redesign the dragons
>>
>>10882221
dont worry m8 im sure some autist will come along soon enough to tell you why youre objectively wrong for doing so
in either case reel niggas use B L E E M
>>
>>10882252
yea spyro looks really bad in that

idgi anyways. the PS1 game still looks gorgeous. wouldnt change a thing. its the perfect example of using your limitations to the fullest
>>
>>10882234
yea thats a lot better
still, updating gfx on a cartoon game just seems frivolous to me
like do we really need """realistic""" cartoon gfx?
wtfs the point?
>>
>>10882234
That's a very unfavorable comparison too.
In the original the water looks dark, deep and reflective, while in the remake it looks like a blue haze.
>>
>>10881257
Only the first game's remake is truly worth playing. Stick to the originals.
>>
File: crash 1.jpg (120 KB, 862x712)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>10882335
I much prefer the art and color of the psx games, so it will win in pretty much every comparison, especially for crash 1. the graphics in the first crash had this very sharp, striking look that I found very appealing.
>>
>>10882179
>The spyro one is a give or take for me
Turning all the Spyro 1 NPC dragons into bara fuckbois helps. The Crash remake looks like dogshit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.