[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: meh.jpg (190 KB, 600x800)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
meh. (musics good tho)
>>
Its an art piece more than a game
>>
>>10881349
>>10881349
Better arpg than anything made by square.
>>
>>10881349
Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia were so barebones on the gameplay side of things I wouldnt doubt Terranigma doesnt hold up well as a fun videogame
>>
>>10881476
Having played through all three games recently: Nah Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are still fun. Sure they're both simple but simple in a way that you just turn your brain off and fight your way through everything listening to the good music and eyeing the great visuals.
Terrinigma is a mess of game design blunders. There's one boss who is just a level check. The trading sequence near the end is boring as hell and feels made to sell guides. Not having the player have to learn to block until LITERALLY the last boss. There's no "Clear out this area to get an upgrade" like in the first two games, instead they have a traditional level up system where you can just (and as mentioned for the boss above, need to) respawn enemies and grind them to level up.
All around baffling game, but at least it looks nice?
>>
>>10881903
>There's one boss who is just a level check.

Stopped reading there. It's crazy the amount of people this boss filtered.

The game tells the player about the elemental weaknesses system TWICE, and one of those two times the example used is the weakness that's effective on that boss. Yet everyone's reaction, instead of remembering what the game says, trying different methods, is
>NOPE, gotta turn off my brain and grind for HOURS until I can brute force this!! Man what a piece of shit game!
>>
>>10881919
RPGs are an inherent shit genre because you can grind.
>>
>>10881919
>and one of those two times the example used is the weakness that's effective on that boss
*the only time it is used
fixed that for you
>>
>>10881924
Which is why Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are great. Your stats are based on how far you are in the game and what tools you have available instead of just being able to grind.
>>
>>10881927
>>10881924
Actually the level/exp system is pretty much locked-in. Once you reach a certain threshold in an area, it's basically impossible to gain another level in said area unless you really spend countless hours on it (even though in the next area it will only take minutes), and repeat for the next area and so on. Many RPGs, and especially A-RPGs function like this.

Which is also why anytime mention they had to grind for Bloody Mary I just lose my shit because they really spent an insane amount of time grinding and not at one moment they stopped to think "this can't be right; maybe I should try something else". And then they blame the game for it because the game dared to challenge their intellect. It's also the same people who will tell you RPGs are a braindead genre.
>>
>>10881924
thats as retarded as saying all arcade games are inherent shit because you can credit feed
hint: they arent and you are retarded
>>
>>10881942
Not them but what were you supposed to do against bloody mary
Im guessing magic but you have to admit magic is not fun to use ever in this game
>>
>>10882078
You buy all the electric magic you can and then spam it on her. That's literally it.
You never need to use magic before this point or after. Nor is it very helpful except for this fight.
>>
>>10882096
>electric
I dNot even remember such a thing, it probably had another name in the game.
>>
>>10882118
It's been a while since I've played, but all the magic came as rings or pins, iirc. Probably had a name like thunder ring or something.
Magic system in that game kinda sucked, though. You almost never have to use it and the whole magirock thing was annoying.
>>
Soul Blazer is the best one despite, but also because, of its simplicity.. IoG is the worst one.
>>
>>10883619
>IoG
Someone got filtered by the vampires.
>>
>>10883678
I haven't finished it. Don't think I got filtered by anything, just stopped at one point and never picked it up. I liked the aesthetics the least and I remember having some gripes with the controls but I don't remember what they were (I think running or something). I'll probably finish it someday, but I already replayed Soul Blazer three times since then and IoG is just not as engrossing. It's like a stepping stone before Terranigma.
>>
>>10883678
It's just a more tedious Soul Blazer with awful bosses.
>>
>>10883619
If you liked this slog of a game, play dungeon explorers on the pce.
>>
>>10883714
How is it a slog through? One of the things I like about it is how snappy everything is. It's like Zelda without bullshit.
>>
>>10883738
nta, I agree that it's straight and to the point, but it also doesn't evolve or get more exciting/difficult. From the first stage to the last, it's the exact same thoughtless routine. So I think it fights with itself in that sense and comes across as a slog.
Also "Zelda without bullshit" in this context actually means "Zelda without content" because no one plays Zelda for the combat and it's not exciting in Soul Blazer.
>>
>>10883738
The worst part of Soul Blazer are the mosnter generators everywhere that slowly pop out a monster one at a time and you have to fully drain each of the generators to restore the towns.
>>
>>10883751
>because no one plays Zelda for the combat
I play Zelda 1 for its combat.
>>
File: norm.png (133 KB, 357x357)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>10883760
>>
>>10883783
I like the focus on spacing and how the game wants you to make the use of your tools, and how the sword can get pretty strong, but the narrow attack keeps it from being braindead babby mode.

Also on the subject of combat and Terranigma, it always irked me they give you all these fancy moves and 90% of the time you're better off just using the standard jabs or the rapid stab move. It also annoys me to no end that the magirocks can't be used in most boss battles. Illusion of Gaia has better combat and ironically enough Will is the best fighter once you realize how good the jump attack is. Soul Blazer's simple combat WOULD be the best if the monster spawners behaved differently, because most fights there can be solved by standing in the right spot and slapping the shit out of dudes as they stop being invulnerable.
I like overhead action games with melee combat.
>>
>>10883823
make the most of your tools*

>>10881919
I can't remember, which weapon is she weak to?
>>
>>10883753
It makes it tedious aliright. That and ocd of having to check each on new person as you unlock them.
>>
>muh just use magic on Bloody Mary
Yeah no, the level difference damage scaling system is absolutely fucked and the amount of xp you get playing normally through the game is just too low. You'll start being unable to fight even basic bitch normal enemies which will make you gain even less xp forcing you to go back to grind.

The story is great and has several 11/10 moments, but the gameplay is broken.
>>
>>10882074
spending time improving your skill =/= spending time improving the stats of your character
>>
>>10884017
I didn't feel like grinding so I actually beat Bloody Mary dealing 1 dmg, I got lucky with a lot of critical hits though, which was like 3 or 4 dmg, I can't remember.
It took a really long time.
>>
>>10884017
>Yeah no, the level difference damage scaling system is absolutely fucked and the amount of xp you get playing normally through the game is just too low.
Nonsense. I just played through it for the first time and Bloody Mary is literally the only part where this is an issue. I beat her at Level 21 with magic and before and after her the damage I did was just fine.
>>
File: Terranigma-3.png (1.25 MB, 900x605)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Anyone got more of these?
>>
File: C4GAMFqWQAAN0hW.jpg (1.62 MB, 3107x2066)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>10884902
>>
>>10881903
the game was great, youre just trying to be controversial
>>
>>10884902
>>10885004
There were a bunch like this in the manual and I could never find them all online
>>
>>10881349
It’s not meh. Stick through to the end.
>>
>>10884319
Same here. I had no idea what you were intended to do (I ignored magic because it used consumables). The only reason I beat this was by rewinding every hit until I got a critical.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.