[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hexen.jpg (122 KB, 1000x1500)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
is it actually as much of a slog as people say it is, or is it just a pleb filter?
>>
>>10881547
who says it's a slog? I used to play this game during school on my laptop.
>>
The first hub is probably the worst one and why so many people bounce off of it. I say play it with gameplay mods though because only 4 weapons per character gets kinda dull.
>>
Definition of a pleb filter. If you can't visualize an apple in your head don't even bother trying to play it.
>>
>>10881607
I can't think of any mods that change this that aren't also a self-contained total conversion with its own maps, but then I haven't really played Hexen 1 in years. Game isn't super long though, and neither is the Deathkings expansion pack.
>>
>Pull a lever
>You've solved 1/4th of the puzzle
>A door opens somewhere
If that sounds fun to you then you'll like Hexen.
>>
>>10881943
Don't lie, it always says where the door or change has occurred and any one area is never very large.
All you have to have is a decent memory to remember when you come across a locked door or other similar place of interest in an area.
>>
>>10881952
I think it doesn't tell you where if it's in the same map only.
>>
>>10881952
he is not lying and you are full of shit
yea if you beaten the game once you can remember where things are
there is no fucking logic whatsoever
>>
>>10881547
idk man if you can make it through doom levels you should be able to figure it out
it was made to give us something to play other than doom over and over again
its definitely more puzzle heavy, but idk, just dont be totally braindead. you still have a map. use it
>>
>>10881547
Does anyone say it's a slog? The puzzles are just annoying and that's it.
>>
Incredible atmosphere, but it’s not very fun.
>>
File: HEXEN00.png (37 KB, 960x720)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>10882039
NTA, but:

>there is no fucking logic whatsoever
There is if you have any sort of critical thinking skill.
>>
>>10881547
>>10881607
Hexen is a cake walk even on the second hardest difficulty, I couldn't get past the Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time so if you can't beat Hexen you might be a bit more retarded than me
>>
Centaurs are a pain in the ass. Save your flasks for them.
>>
>>10882567
Yeah but it dosen't give exact map co-ords so its unplayable.
>>
>>10882958
>The game doesn't tell me, using exact x, y, and z coordinates, where something is, so the game as a whole is completely and entirely unplayable.

Jesus fucking Christ, how badly do you struggle in your day-to-day life? Do you have to be told in explicit detail how to shit into a toilet bowl and not the sink?
>>
>>10881547
like other boomer shooters the main problem is wondering if you can interact with shit ass textures so just spam the keybind
>>
>>10881547
How is this with coop? Figure since each character is different it should play well.
>>
>>10881547
Look, OP. Forget all that shit about puzzles and play the game the real way focussing on whats really important:
1. choose WARRIOR
2. Enjoy the earliest and maybe still the best melee combat in a first person game.
>>
>>10883026
why would i play a martial class when the mage is right there?
>>
>>10883042
The mage has the lowest movement speed and has the weakest armor.

He does have a railgun-esque magic wand, tho.
>>
>>10882975
It doesn't have quest markers telling him exactly where to go, so his brain shuts down. I don't really recommend this game because while it is excellent, the average poster here has a room temperature IQ and would be better served playing something designed for them like Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
>>
File: 1442433609638.jpg (202 KB, 400x400)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>10881547
It's a good game.
>>
>>10883042
I see you are a coward. By playing mage you are falling into the developer's trap of making mage the most boring and least effective character in the game. Clearing the game with that requires supreme endurance, so you have that going for you at least.

Mage is betrayed by the game. You will be stuck with the wand for most of the game due to mana scarcity and how terrible ice shards are. The wand has an advantage of range but it is very feeble. Most battles are dreary drawn-out fights. Remember as you hit the monsters with your fifteenth wand ray that if you were the warrior, the fight would have been over eleven rays ago.
The lightning is good and fun but you'll be back to the wand after a few shots.
The staff is a non factor because all of the final weapons are equally awesome.
>>
>>10883056
are there any enemies or projectiles faster than molasses to make player speed matter in the slightest? just move slightly to the side at a leisurely pace and you can dodge everything.
>>
>>10883075
>all of the final weapons are equally awesome
Although the Wraithverge does get nerfed by the fact that it's borderline useless against bosses.
>>
>>10883078
Not really, though it does make certain platforming sections a bit more tricky.
>>
>>10883078
The priests fire long, swirling strings of magic bolts that track you. So yes. You cannot 'move slightly' to avoid them.
You also cannot move slightly to deal with the yetis that throw ice balls that burst into shards that fly in eight directions. You have to move big, and quickly.
>>
If by some miracle Hexen gets a modern-day remake, how do you guys reckon it would do the "hub" system?

Personally, I think it'd be neat if they went a sort of metroidvania route, where each hub is a giant, sprawling, interconnected map with the places you visit being sub-areas in the map.
>>
>>10883151
What would be the point of that? If you mean a Hexen 3, that will never ever happen. And no one is going to make a new game like Hexen. There was one game that was being hyped up as being like Hexen, similar name and all, but it turned out to only be superficially similar and extremely shallow by comparison.
>>
>>10883160
It's just a hypothetical, Anon. No need to get your panties in a twist.
>>
File: Witchaven.jpg (147 KB, 640x775)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>10883160
If you're talking about Witchaven, most of that hype came from people misunderstanding what it even is.
Its a very solid game in its own right with a dark fantasy atmosphere quite distinct from Hexen.
It's more of a straight FPS though, with a series of levels instead of hubs. It's really quite good if you give it an earnest try.
>>
>>10883201
>The pinnacle of monster titties
>>
>>10883204
The fat, pale witch titties or the skinny, skull-headed witch titties?
>>
>>10882848
I don't play childrenslop on old consoles so you have to make a better reference than fucking Zelda.
>>
>>10882958
The sub areas are small, and only have a few doors in them at all. It's not hard to figure out.
>>
>>10883201
Witchaven came out the same year as Hexen, I doubt that it's possible to mistake one for a sequel to another, I think he was talking about some modern indieshit cosplaying as a better retro game.
>>
File: RW35_2.png (9 KB, 128x128)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>10883254
Are you implying you play children slop only on newer consoles? Sorry to say, but I think Mario fags are better than us
>>
Hexen 1 is one of my favorite games ever made, and it is a brutal slog past the second hub.

>>10881943
That part isn't difficult, it's just an easy to communicate soundbite your favorite youtube eceleb sunk into your brain.
>>
>>10882975
The post you're replying to was obviously being sarcastic.
>>
Pleb filter
>>
>>10881607
Disagree. The first hub has the best flow between the areas, it always keeps you moving, doesn't take a lot of brainpower, and has the best enemy distribution. Second hub has the best aesthetics and is my favorite part of the game with its varied outdoor/natural terrains. Past that the environments start to get samey and the game just gets overloaded with sandbag enemies.
>>
>>10882975
>>10883064
>excessively loquacious spiels about "how do you function" in response to a clearly sarcastic post making fun of people who need spoonfeeding
Oh, the irony
>>
>>10883768
>>10884013
Unfortunately, there are people out there who really do think that way and they've posted their opinions online before.

I have legitimately seen someone argue that Octopath Traveller should be sold at a much lower price because it dared to use 2d sprites for its characters and monsters. I know it's a bit off-topic, but it isn't as easy to filter sarcastic comments when people have said dumb shit like that and actually MEANT it.
>>
Filter. Civvie 11 complained about it so its developed a reputation among zoomers.
>>
>>10881547
I beat it when I was in high school (on an actual DOS machine in the late 90s), and it was a horrible game of "I wonder, if I pull this lever here, what opens where in all of the hub-connected levels?". I played as a cleric, if I remember correctly. I beat it finally, but it took ages, and I gave up on the expansion pack. I still launch it in GZDoom every once in a while but I doubt I'll play through it ever again.
>>
>hurr durr muh puzzles
I can never, ever take complaints like this seriously. It's fake. The puzzles are *not hard*. It's not difficult to just backtrack and wander around (*worst* case scenario) and find where the next room full of monsters you haven't killed is. It rarely comes to that because they outright tell you where a door opened and usually new exits open up leading you by the hand to the next place to go.

The reason Hexen is a slog is because 3428967356895769846 fucking slaughtaurs whose special ability is "time out, no playing the game until i put my shield down" and a dozen other enemy types whose design principle was "the player should need to expend half a mana pool to beat this"
>>
The two worst enemies in this game are the centaurs because of the previously-mentioned shield bullshit, and the stalkers because you can't even hit the fuckers until they pop up to attack you. You can't even hit them with the Mage's electric attack when they're submerged, which is stupid.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.