[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Wanna check out the boktai games and since I'm not spending hundreds of dollars I'm naturally gonna be using an emulator with the patch that lets you manually adjust the sun level.

Any big boktai-heads that could give me a rough outline of how much sunlight was say, a 3 on the bar vs a 10? I wanted to make it at least kind of similar to what the weather is outside or at least avoid totally throwing the balance out of wack by having the meter at the wrong setting all the time - also boktai thread
>>
>>10881637
No need to patch it just use mgba or no$gba those 2 can emulate the solar sensor for boktai games.
>>
>>10881637
I quite enjoyed Boktai, but couldn't really tell you on average how much sun I had while playing but it was usually pretty intermittent. My suggestion if you want to play it in a somewhat authentic manner is to just go by the weather outside. If it's a bright sunny day, max it out, if it's rainy out then put it mid way, if you're playing at night then don't have any.
>>
>>10881637
A 3 on the solar meter would be really overcast and somewhat dark out during the middle of the day. This gameplay gimmmick wasn't a big deal really unless you tried to play the games at night, and even then there was some content where that was better. You're actually supposed to play the original 3 GBA games like a 2D Metal Gear game and sneak around and maybe one hit ambush kill some things so you don't get discovered, and the games have scoring for missions to reflect this. Except the last game for the DS that did away with the stealth and solar meter stuff.
>>
>>10881637
i remember really liking this game, but when i think back on it all i can really remember from it is that i used to go lie down in the middle of a field when it was sunny out and it was nice. except that id have a hard time seeing wtf was on the non-backlit screen. that part kinda sucked
>>
>>10881637
The sensors on these games were whack. You could be standing outside on the sunniest day of the year and it'd register maybe 5 or 6. Most of the time you'd be getting 3 or 4, and it'd cap out at 2 inside.
>>
>>10882091
I think your cart may have been busted, I never experienced that at all.
>>
>>10882091
ime it only really worked right if you were laying on your back outside
>>
>>10881637
Even if it was overcast, you'd still get a bar or two. It would basically have to be raining to not get a bar during the day
The only way to max out the bar would be to aim the sensor at the sun with no cloud cover

That'll give you the two extremes, you can estimate everything in between. (dawn and dusk would still be 3 or 4 bars with no clouds)
>>
>>10882070
I always thought this game was played best on the original gba with the reflective screen
>>
>>10882091
I reckon the sensors for these games were just flimsy.
Got my copy of 2 second-hand in some GameStop and it wouldn't register sunlight at all before accidentally dropping it once, after which it would work again.
Overcast would be about 2 bars. Don't think I ever got 10 bars, clear midsummer days would get me 8-9 bars tho.

The sunlight thing honestly was a cute idea, it was basically just an excuse to get you to play the videogame outside. Chilling on an empty playground essentially sunbathing is a vibe.
Realistically you wouldn't lose anything gameplay-wise just emulating with a toggle button for 0 pips/7-10 pips though.
>>
>>10882070
That’s like the ideal conditions to see the original GBA screen.
Not to go off on a tangent or to seem like I’m tearing into you personally, but every time I see someone complain about the screen on the GBA it seems be the opposite of the last. Bizarre.
>>
>>10881637
Make sure to play Lunar Knights, the real Boktai 3. Shinbok was so bad it never left japan.
>>
>>10881637
wait boktai is hundreds of dollars now? LOL I bought like ten of them back when it was dirt cheap

i have a whole shoebox full of pokemon crystal too lol
>>
>>10881637
Played it recently to the end, and i would say to use about 3 to 4 bars of sun level. Not because of emulating the similar weather outside, but because the system will take more time to OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT, OVERHEAT and OVERHEAT.
>>
>>10882442
Not him, but I always found the original GBA had a lot of glare so it looked good if you were somewhere with a lot of diffused light, but in direct sun you had to really angle it well so you could see the screen and not just a big reflection glare.
>>
>>10882504
shinbok is kind of lazy and not as good as 2 but lunar knights is just a really shitty isometic action game that completely removed all the parts of boktai that were compelling
>>
>>10883237
Filtered
>>
>>10881637
Is there a cheat code or something to make you go to Azure Sky Tower to F99 right away? Building the tower from F30 3 floors per clear sounds like pure pain.
Also, making you need 6 seals where 4 are exclusives to your save data and the rest should be copied to another save data is annoying.
>>
>>10882702
Ok hoarder.
>>
>>10884749
It's an investment, I've never even played Boktai or Pokemon Crystal. You can emulate, poorfag.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.