[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1-62958838.jpg (291 KB, 500x902)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
I've never played a DQ game. I'm about to start the translated SFC version of the first one. What am I in for?
>>
>What am I in for?
A good time

>Nicer art and music than the Famicom release
>More battle animations
>Stat seeds hidden around the world
>Some redesigned and expanded dungeons
>Extra field sprites for important things
>One button press to interact with things, rather than having to open the menu (you still can if you want to)
>Tweaked EXP and gold gains. Purists will sperg over this but you still have to grind a decent amount and the game can still be challenging. SFC version cuts down on the grinding by about a 1/3rd.
>Bosses have more health

Its a great version, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
You are in for the Zelda 1 of JRPGs. As in it's beautifully minimalist
>>
>>10882068
>beautifully minimalist
That's exactly what I need right now
>>
Fun. Fast forward through the combat, it's a waste of time and you can skip the grinding, the actual meat of the game is in exploring the world and talking to NPCs for hints.

Honestly, they perfected DQ with the first game. All the sequels are fun, but they get further and further away from the puzzle solving.
>>
>>10882113
>exploring the world and talking to NPCs for hints
sounds comfy
>>
>>10882113
>the actual meat of the game is in exploring the world and talking to NPCs for hints.
This is what Dragon Quest I and II excels at. Expect to revisit places with new items or information.
>>
No party members. You have to buy keys from a shop instead of finding them in a dungeon. You have to buy torches to visit dungeons otherwise it's all black and then when you have a torch you still have limited visibility. There is basically no story and grinding is slow and not fun. NPCs have nothing interesting to say. Towns exist only to sell items. Soundtrack is really great and highly memorable. "Minimalistic" is a euphemism for primitive. It's okay as a historical artifact but it is not a good game.
>>
>>10882151
I played it for the first time a few weeks ago, only looked something up once, and had a really great time. It really holds up, I had a lot of fun. Didn't cheat or fast forward the combat or anything. Maybe I'm just an autist.
>>
>>10882173
I think the presentation is simple enough that if you are already pulled in it can keep you attracted to it til the end.
>>
>>10882003
>DQ1
One on one fights
Magic mostly being useless outside heal and healmore
Hidden items on the overworld
One save point
>DQ2
Deceptively easy early game
3 party members but only 2 are useful
Insanely expensive equipment
TPK every 30 minutes
Getting poisoned constantly
Worst late game grind in JRPG history

I usually recommend people to start off with 3.
>>
Grinding random encounters on the overworld so you can move to a new encounter zone so you can grind random encounters on the overworld so you can move to a new encounter zone so you can grind random encounters on the overworld so you can so you can move to a new encounter zone so you can go through one of the game's five dungeons so you can move to a new encounter zone so you can grind random encounters on the overworld so you can move to a new encounter zone so you can grind random encounters on the overworld.

Character leveling was tweaked in the SNES version to make progression through the game a lot smoother and less painful but fundamentally it's only better because it's over faster. 2 was much better.
>>
I just don't understand playing a remake of a nes RPG. If you don't enjoy nes games, why torture yourself by sweeting the pot a little with 16 bit upgrades? It's still not going to play like a 16 bit RPG. Just play a real one of those and enjoy the deep story and imaginative gameplay that came with that era
>>
>>10882003
The SFC versions make the games incredibly easier. They made changes in every-single- department. They actually went so overboard with how easy they made those versions that they actually backed down a little afterwards and the GB versions aren't as easy (even though later portable versions are usually always the easiests).

The latest fan translation patch still has at least one game breaking glitch btw. If in the volcano dungeon of 2 you get visual glitches and are randomly teleported out, you need to mess with the amount of gold you have on you and/or at the bank to fix it.
>>
>>10882003
So you finally showed up Yuusha,this is the start of a long long travel.
I hope you can restore peace to this world and don't fall for the tricks of the Maou.
>>
>What am I in for?
Dragon Quest I & II on the SFC.
>>
>>10882309
Arrigato translator-kun for this 100% accurate translation, none of this Erdrik nonsense!
>>
>>10882068
>it's beautifully minimalist
I liked Dragon Warrior the whole way through. I just dropped FF1 at the volcano, though. I've tried both the Pixel Remaster version and the Origins version, and neither held my attention the whole way - the former was boring because it was easy, the latter because I just felt like limited in options. Spells didn't seem effective enough to bother gambling on a wasted cast when attacking would probably give me just as good a result.
I might try the PSP version some time since it has the extra dungeons at least, but who knows if I'd have enough fun to even get that far.

>>10882259
I had been playing the PS1 version of Final Fantasy the past few days specifically because while I don't mind NES RPGs necessarily, it was largely the same game but looked a bit nicer and had a cool extras menu. Plus, I just felt like playing my PSP and the PS1 support is great.
DQ is a mixed bag on remakes, though. You're not getting near as close to the same experience with those in comparison.
>>
>>10882249
>Worst late game grind in JRPG history
Even more then Phantasy Star 2?
>>
>>10882613
I gave up on trying to play through FF1, shit's just impossible, it's so damn tedious and boring. The original version was also full of bugs and was just badly programmed. Moreover, I don't want to start a holywar but holy fuck DQ3 came out like a month later or so. FF shouldn't have stood a chance but it's somehow still the biggest RPG franchise ever
>>
>>10882003
Skip it and play 3 instead. Or if you like plot heavy jrpgs, play 5 instead.
>>
>>10882640
Lmao, just play one of the million FF1 rereleases that fixes the bugs, or a rom hack.
Not like DQ3's class system is that much more complicated over FF1's. They're fairly comparable with the exclusion of having a "hero" characer.
>>
>>10882640
I think my problem with FF1 is the lack of abilities and how mages get their spells. I think the store system is kind of cool, but while levels matter a lot and even gaining one feels significant while going through a dungeon, I know there's nothing interesting coming to me when it happens. That makes grinding even less appealing to me. And I feel like you do need to grind. I left Terra Cave a little overleveled and was just kicking the shit out of everything in and around there, but as soon as I got the canoe and hit the river I was getting reamed by the new monsters there.
I remember grinding three times when I played Dragon Warrior, and once was for money, and one to gain a few extra levels before the last boss because I was having bad luck/was too bad to manage him at the level I got there.
>>
>>10882003
Its an extremely accessible game and there's no old game bullshit or frustration in it
>>10882068
>beautifully minimalist
yeah that about summarizes it
>>
>>10882249
>Magic mostly being useless outside heal and healmore
not my experience
>One save point
Not that big a problem in practice, when you die you don't lose progress (you lose money) and you get to save right after
>I usually recommend people to start off with 3.
fair though, that game is crazy accessible
>>
>>10882113
>Fast forward through the combat, it's a waste of time and you can skip the grinding
total zoomer death
>>
>>10882640
I made a thread about this last week https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/10865325/#10865325 My guess though is that game development was cheaper back then so they could long game things like that. It did sell 1.7 million on the first day though, maybe the specific timing was critical
>>10882650
>Not like DQ3's class system is that much more complicated over FF1's. They're fairly comparable with the exclusion of having a "hero" characer.
They didn't mention the class system...
>>
>>10882640
>FF shouldn't have stood a chance but it's somehow still the biggest RPG franchise ever
it's fallen from grace and completely sold its soul to chase normalfag purchases, meanwhile even if i don't think dq11 is fantastic it's still a good game and more importantly, it's still fucking dragon quest.
>>
>>10882113
fast-forwarding is ignoble. the boredom is part of the grinding
>>
>>10882003
its fun there's a gbc version worth playing in english as well.
>>
>>10882003
first one was good, second was alright, third is ass because there are no player characters and hence no story worth playig through to make the grind worthwhile. If you like the class system of 3 just play ff5 instead
>>
>>10882003
A very fun game. DQII is even better.
>>10882249
DQII's grind on SFC and GBC is overstated. Maye if we were talking about the Famicom/NES original, but it's fine imo for later ports. Part of the problem with the original release is the Prince of Cannock not getting very good options for gear, but he's given more to work with in later releases.
>>
For some reason the hackers that made the translation used the overscan area up top for your party members during battle, so if you are playing in the proper aspect ratio the borders will be cut off on top.
>>
File: chilling.jpg (22 KB, 468x351)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>don't really like jrpgs much as a genre
>had no issue playing through all the NES Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games
>keep quitting SFC games, find them boring as shit and way too long

I can't stomach jrpgs over 40 hours, they really needed to stop that shit.
>>
>>10882003
/vg/ refugees shitting up your topic
>>
File: marty.png (2 KB, 48x64)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
DQ1 SFC is the only game in the series I've played. It's a pretty cool game in that it's more of an adventure game like Zelda but with random turn based encounters, so even people who are bad at action games can complete it. I had a great time drawing a map of the overworld, recording hints, and generally chilling out.
>>
>>10882618
PSII late game is easy compared to DQIIs final area. Not only that we got a tuned down version of it.
>>
>>10883358
>chilling out
this is exactly what I need in my life right now
>>
>>10883474
Most DQ games are perfect for chilling out. Nothing like kicking back, taking in the music (always well-made even in chiptune form), and wandering around aimlessly in search of that next village or castle.
>>
Is the mobile version any good? graphically looks better
>>
>>10883507
>Graphically looks better
LOL
>>
>>10883168
I know right, all 3 recent DQ threads have been a disaster. These people don't like old games but decided to come raid here probably because they realized nobody was responding to their bait on their containment board.
>>
>>10882003
Zen-mind
>>
>>10882003
Monke
>>
>>10882003
Can you believe the second worse of the trilogy spawn all of your favorite RPGS in the modern day?
>>
>>10883420
Yesh... I thought PS2's late game was already
too grindy, guess I'll never actually finish DQ2. Is the only Famicom/NES era DQ game I never got around to finishing, but might just outright take it off my backlog then.
I'm not adverse to grind, Diablo 2 is my favorite game, but grind in JRPGs is just a slog when there is too much of it.
>>
>>10882003
I love Toriyama's old painting and color composition so fucking much it's unreal
>>
>>10882003
DQI is kino, DQII starts off very good but almost falls off a cliff near the end
>>
>>10882003
You will love DQ1&3. Skip DQ2, you’ll never finish it.
>>
No honest being on earth can like 1 and 3 but not like 2.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.