[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240425_220344_f0.png (530 KB, 780x519)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
Undumped beta build of Legend of Zelda rescued from dead hoarder, cracked out of plastic tomb and dumped.

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1783293071846670816
>>
Anything cool come of this? I'm too dumb to turn the digital noise into a rom
>>
>>10883685
OP delivered, but it's Zelda so who cares. I'm just joking, this actually really cool. I'm not exactly happy that a person had to die to get this released to the public, but I can't say he will be missed by the preservation community or emubros.
>>
>>10883685
I have never heard the term "hoarder" used so much until I came to this board. You people have mental issues. I really don't care about some beta build of an existing game with missing features.

Id rather emulator developers focus on making existing games PLAYABLE, and stop dumping a bunch of non-working games into the emulator.

Looking at you MAME. Get your shit together. Hundreds of games that don't work right.
>>
>>10883698
>call something what it is
>NOOO DON'T SAY THAT
These people literally hoard beta builds and don't dump them because they fear their beta will lose value and eventually die like this.

>You people have mental issues
Literally coming from the person who entered a thread about a dumped cartridge to complain about it instead of ignoring and whine about emulator development.
>>
>>10883685
>>10883691
Oh nice, someone rescued a prot....>is ust a rough 96% finished beta with some minor roughs and bugs

Damn it, i was expexting a wildly different map, graphics and such.

I once had a dream of a Zelda level that is like a dungeom but its inside a red cave and was very tryppy and earie.
>>
>>10883685
where's the dump nigger?
>>
So what's the story on how this was recovered? Please spoonfeed
>>
>>10883695
>I'm not exactly happy that a person had to die to get this released to the public
Hoarders are not humans
>>
>>10883703
>I'm entitled to your stuff
>>
>>10883712
Yes. You stole that cartridge from official sources, it should be shared with the world and not hoarded until you die thinking you're one day going to make a million dollars off of it.
>>
Doesn't appear to be any proof that anyone died. Infact there don't seem to be any interesting details about this dump besides the fact that it was dumped
>>
>>10883712
Hoarders are so delusional to think the stuff is "theirs". It's the publishers property. I've seen hoarders think they had the rights to make a commercial release of the undumped games they're hoarding.

>>10883695
It's a proto of the *US* version, the likelyhood of finding data like levels/sprites that differs from the original game is small, unless the US version was made from some dev version that predates the final JPN version (it happens). If it was a proto of of the FDS game it would be a different story.
>>
>>10883719
> interesting details about this dump
the cart is yellow, the stick says noa something and the title screen © is off by a few pixels.
>>
>>10883715
>Buying something is theft

>>10883724
>you don't own what you purchase

>>>/leftypol/
>>
>>10883706
He's currently in Africa
>>
>>10883685
Awesome. Yet another useless ROM to be hoarded by ROM hoarders and bitched about by SD card curators.
>>10883729
Fascinating!
>>
THD (Total Hoarder Death)
>>
>>10883704
>Damn it, i was expexting a wildly different map, graphics and such.

This. Why doesn't real life ever live up to my deliberately unreasonable expectations?
>>
>>10883712
YOUR stuff?
>>
>>10883730
If someone misplaces your software and then somebody else sells it, it is indeed still yours and not theirs, that cartridge and its contents still belong to Nintendo.

I don't give a fuck about Nintendo's feelings, and they probably don't put very high priority on old insignificant loose ends of localizations like these, but if you want to be a pedantic faggot about MUH RIGHTS, MUH PROPERTY, then you're retarded and wrong. The people clamoring for insignificant prototypes like these aren't acting any more entitled to shit than the hoarder who illegally scored it.
>>
>>10883730
>Buying something is theft
Buying stolen property is illegal and an accessory to theft, yes. This isn't new, nor is it unique to video games.
>>
>>10883695
>I'm not exactly happy that a person had to die to get this released to the public, but I can't say he will be missed by the preservation community or emubros.
41% or 600 pound coronary. Call it.
>>
>>10883685
It's just a localization proto if it's in a full size NES cart and not a Famicom cart or something weird. Probably a couple of minor differences but nothing to write home about.
>>
>>10883704
All of those kinds of protos are locked up by incredibly secretive japs and will never see the light of day.

The saddest thing about hoarders is 99.9% of them have absolutely nothing of value, and the 0.01% of stuff that is of value is only of value to a miniscule minority of retards who have dedicated their lives to Bubsy 3D.
>>
The interests of preservation are more important than any ownership "rights".
>>
>>10884142
you are not entitled to other peoples property
regardless of your faggy interest in it or not
>>
>>10883695
>I'm not exactly happy that a person had to die
>person
>>
>>10883685
Based. Fuck hoarders

>>10883698
Cringe.
>>
>>10883704
That's the big issue with prototypes and betas. There's no way to know if there's anything of value on them until after they're dumped. Even if you can play the physical cart and it seems the same, there's always a chance that there are a bunch of old assets in the code that haven't been cleaned up yet.

That's why people who are into this sort of thing end up with some many pointless dumps while trying to find worthwhile ones.
>>
>>10883685
>yellow cart
Weren't those WCS carts that were just retail boards in a differenct color shell?
>>
>>10884087
> couple of minor differences
didn't even look at the .gif animation showing the difference in the binaries, did you, dunning kruger? there's a lot of difference.

>>10884134
>All of those kinds of protos are locked up by incredibly secretive japs and will never see the light of day.
you need to face the sad truth: there's not that many "protos" in existence as most of them were owned by nintendo and its licence holders and most were destroyed or lost to time. also the fact that some of these old developers have no intention of giving the fucking idiots of the internet their work - for free - that they aren't legally allow to sell or distribute.

>>10884007
you can own the property but you aren't allowed to make copies of it and distribute it. knuckle draggig ape-like morons on this website think copyrights for software somehow don't exist after the 1980s.

>>10884224
yeah, but using EEPROMS instead of mask ROM.
>>
>>10884257
>didn't even look at the .gif animation showing the difference in the binaries, did you, dunning kruger?

That doesn't mean that there are that many differences. Imagine the devs needed to do a bugfix that's as simple as adding 1 byte. Adding that 1 byte is going to shift all the code after that by 1 byte. Entire section is going to appear "in red" in your little gif just for that.
It could be more but there is no way to know until someone does a precise comparison.
>>
>>10883981
>>10884007
Possession is 9/10ths of the law
>>
>>10884257
>you can own the property but you aren't allowed to make copies of it and distribute it.
>>10884325
>Possession is 9/10ths of the law
No, you knowingly bought stolen goods, which is legally defined as a felony (or misdemeanor depending on local law). That's the 1/10th you seem to have forgotten about.
>>
>>10884359
>you knowingly bought stolen goods

The "knowingly" part doesn't even matter where I live.
>>
>>10883685
Let this be a warning to all hoarders everywhere. You're next, no game will go undumped.
>>
>>10883704
>what the fuck is this shit why isn't it like my dreams?!
God bless your soul.
>>
>>10883724
Yeah. Arcade hoarders are the absolute worst. Like the guy who was hoarding DT7. He threw an absolute shitfit when people tried getting a leaked copy of it running in mame. Wish I had the screenshots.
>>
Anyone genuinely defending this guys right to hoard this ROM (which he obviously never got the chance to sell for millions like his plan was), are just fucking bootlickers that care more about property rights than preservation. Fuck him, I mean sad he died, not like this guy was hitler, but I think it's poetic justice that the ROM can finally be dumped, if you have some weird problem with that I think you're just a little bitch who wants something to cry about.
>>
Still zero proof that anyone passed away. Calling bullshit on the whole backstory which seems to have been invented in this thread
>>
>>10884584
More than likely bullshit
>>10884585
don't care
>>
Well, I guess practically nobody in this thread really gives a shit about freedom lol. Instead of freedom wed rather have unfinished bug ridden versions of TLOZ
>>
>>10884605
Fuck are you on about freedom? whats up with the retards in this thread trying to make this an issue about ideology.
If you keep something from the world to make money, you suck.
>>
>>10883938
You wouldn't have these obscure dumps at all if obsessives never hoarded them to begin with.
>>
>>10884639
Not true, are you retarded? if someone buys a game and then immediately dumps it that's not hoarding. Bootlicker.
>>10884642
I swear for as much as this board bitches about scalpers, they're perfectly fine with someone hoarding games if they were never released.
>>
Damn, I have to amend my will to destroy all the prototypes I hoard once I die.
>>
>>10884598
wrong. again, you do not have any god given rights to other peoples fucking property.
you are a tard.
>>
>>10884653
it WAS released.
the legend of zelda is one of the most famous retail game series of all fucking time.
you can buy the cart for pennies on the dollar.
you can play it for "free" with nintendo switch online.

you demanding access to a beta-rom has little to do with your point.
>>
>>10884639
Look no further than the redditor who immediately gave the source code CD for StarCraft to Blizzard for some trinkets and good boy points after obtaining it.
>>
>>10884669
kek the homos itt wouldve caught barry bonds home run record ball and then given it to him for an autographed hat instead of selling it for $1,000,000
>>
>>10884660
>you do not have any god given rights to other peoples fucking property.
Neither of us said that you knuckle-dragger.
>>
>>10883715
Do you have any proof it was stolen in the first place? It might have been a case like the Nintendo Playstation, where someone at the company was allowed to keep it since they were just gonna throw it out anyway.
>>
>>10883685
If it doesn't have a UV eprom then is fake.
>>
>>10884087
More or less.

>>10884257
That doesn't make the differences meaningful.
>>
>>10883730
Buying stolen property doesn't make it yours.
>>
>>10884154
You are not entitled to Nintendo's property.
>>
>>10883708
This, they're dwarves or leprechauns.
>>
>dead hoarder

How did he died?
>>
>>10884856
peacefully of natural causes surrounded by his loving family and millions of dollars
>>
>>10884856
Took the vaxx
>>
>>10884856
AIDS
>>
File: 1712310378423613.jpg (55 KB, 640x774)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>10884856
Let's just say that he's with Sonic now
>>
>>10884215
True, most leaked prototypes have very limited significance, you have a lot of stuff like this which is just an iteration on the complete Japanese game being localized in English, and many other "Almost finished" builds from late stage testing. These can be dug through but usually these amount to more or less nothing.

The much more juicy stuff is if something from early or in the middle of development gets leaked, then you might find unused stuff which didn't make it to the complete game, or differing implementations, sometimes an implementation of something which was later left abandoned and orphaned in the finished game's assets. Some games change a lot during their development, a few even starting in a radically different place to what the final game eventually turned into.

Then you have The GIGA LEAKS, which was the treasure trove of all treasure troves for developmental content, even having some source codes, unseen scrapped games, and content from third party devs. We'll probably never see another one of those from Nintendo again, they'll be more wary in the future, and many Japanese companies don't save that much of this kind of stuff, so if we ever get another one it'd probably be from some western company or publisher.
>>
the internet would kill for the prototype I picked up the other day

apparently a really early build, everything is more sci-fi and you're assembling a microchip or something instead of a tri-force
>>
All i want is the source code of Uprising 1,2 Leaked As Starcraft Ghost
>>
>>10884880
big if true
>>
File: zelda1_beta.png (94 KB, 1024x1025)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
He posted the prototype data as an image. If you want to convert it to a ROM:
>black = 0
>white = 1
>ROM data ends at first gray pixel
>>
>>10884887
cool virus
>>
>>10884660
I guess Thomas Jefferson was a commie then.
https://harmful.cat-v.org/economics/intellectual_property/thomas-jefferson
>>
>>10884919
He was indeed a faggot in many regards, but the idea of intellectual property is retarded.
>>
>>10884870
Or with Selphie in Balamb Garden
>>
>>10884959
>but the idea of intellectual property is retarded.
Damn, I guess you a commie too then, lmao.
>>
>>10884880
Post screenshot
>>
>>10883703
What will you do with the beta build? What has anyone ever done with these after they get dumped?
>>
>>10885017
Yes, I take prototypes of old video games and I finish them.
>>
Now you know why it was never dumped. Cause then it would lose value
>>
>>10885017
Personally I check them out and document what I find on TCRF, anonymously because I'm not a faggot
>>
>>10884887
What the fuck are we supposed to do with this? Write a program that iterates each index, storing the binary in a file?
>>
>>10885030
Basically yes. You can ask GPT to help you.
>>
>>10885030
You CAN program, can't you anon?
>>
File: 1706276173612324.jpg (54 KB, 679x688)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>10885130
Of course.
>>
>>10885030
convert-im6 -depth 1 zelda1_beta.png gray:zelda1_beta.nes

Feels good to be a linuxchad
>>
>>10883698
No. Hoarders deserve every bit of mockery they receive.

Gamers aren't owned jackshit, so all the faggots going "omg dump it! There's a pixel in level 3 that wasn't there in the final build!!!!!!!!!!!" Need to get a life but hoarders are even worse. Their entire persona is based on buying shit others want and then teasing it out that they have it.

Don't be a prop to a hoarders ego. When they try to show off, just call them a faggot and move on
>>
File: 1690087696531186.png (143 KB, 533x150)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>10885206
touch grass
>>
>>10884325
Are you 12 years old?
>>
>>10885213
He means 9 out of 10 times he's been arrested were for possession
>>
>US version
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>10885220
based

the human eye can only see 50 fps anyways
>>
File: 1689050973222018.png (577 KB, 480x476)
577 KB
577 KB PNG
rumor has it that when all the LoZ prototypes are collected in one place the portal will open and the Collector can go back to the past
>>
>>10885269
To play the shitty games that suck ass
>>
>>10884702
>the case of the nintendo playstation
Should we tell him?
>iwata : we learned in the hard way,the nintendo playstation prototypes lot of them got destroyed while several of them got stolen imagine my surprise seeing a cheap chinese console that claimed to be a ps1/snes/vcd years after that only to learn it was similar to our nintendo playstation, the biggest surprise was that the snes games cd included worked as intended on that device.
>>
File: wut.jpg (108 KB, 825x673)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Is it this version? I've always wanted to give this one a playthrough.
>>
>>10884856
Choked on male sperm
>>
>>10885310
whoa, this would totally change the game, not like there'd be any way to go straight for the boomerang without getting the sword without this innovative choice
>>
>>10885206
>Hoarders
You don't even know what the word means.
>>
>>10885326
...people who sleep on piles of gold and breathe fire?
>>
>>10885323
I actually played through the entire game without a sword because I read in Nintendo Power that one of their 'game counselors' did it. It was really hard and super fun. First you get the boomerang from level 1 and use it on bats to get rupees. Then buy the candle so you can get into the secret rooms and torch weak enemies. Then a bow and arrow to hunt stronger enemies. Get bombs as soon as possible for more secret rooms. Things get a lot easier after you go down into level 8 and get the wand, which is just as good as having a sword, really.

Unfortunately, you can't beat Gannon without the Master Sword. You can get all the way to him though.
>>
>>10884257
Doubt there's any major differences that weren't already in the Japanese version.
>>
>>10885334
Go on YouTube. Type in hoarder. Look at the top 5 results. Thars a real hoarder. Trash overflowing everywhere and out of their house.
>>
>>10885346
...I don't want to watch WoW videos
>>
>>10885326
Cry more hoarder faggot

>but muh dusty collection of dumb shit!
As I said. Hoarder. It's funny how upset hoarders get when people are giving their garbage connection praise
>>
>>10885350
When people are not* giving praise to their collection of old dumb shit
>>
>>10885350
Hoarders don't make specific collections. They collect everything. Stop butchering the English language you ESL.
>>
You guys need to relax. It's just a word. It can have multiple meanings in multiple contexts.
>>
Can someone just upload the rom here, ending all this gay discussion about hoarders?
>>
>>10885357
>hurr durrr hiurr duurrr I'm a pedantic loser

OK hoarder. Go cry into your computer. No one cares
>>
>>10885359
https://files.catbox.moe/1om7ns.zip
>>
>>10885361
why are you bringing your sexual preferences into this
>>
>>10885359
No. It's funny to make fun of hoarders because they flip their shit and cry that others don't care about their hoard of crap
>>
>>10885359
Seems like a psyop to me. I'd give it a year and if people are still playing it then I might give it a go.
>>
>>10885364
>responses to the one post not calling him a faggot
>brings up sexual preferences

So you are a faggot? Do you often stick USB containing your hoarding tendencies up your ass?

What a massive faggot you are.
>>
File: 1712452532847472.png (134 KB, 760x780)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>10885369
>>
>>10885372
I accept your concession

Maybe you need to go play legend of Zelda v.1.0.0 2 beta half finished edition and wipe away your tears.
>>
>>10883929
>>10885206
I could see value in some unique protos akin to what Marble Madness 2 was/still is, I can't remember if that was the one that got stolen and leaked to the web, and those truly need to be properly dumped and preserved because they are not produced, proper data preservation needs online distribution because no matter how good big and expensive it is, no software/hardware storage is 100% safe.
Now shit like this cart and thread, fuck that, makes rom hoarders look every bit as greedy as hardware hoarders.
>>
This board has the best arguments. You'll never find a group more seriously dedicated to their hobby as this one.
>>
>>10884257
>you need to face the sad truth: there's not that many "protos" in existence as most of them were owned by nintendo and its licence holders and most were destroyed or lost to time.
This is true. Yes, there are certainly some very interesting prototypes still out there, sometimes ones which are very different and/or early, but the reality is that many of the EPROMs or flash ROM carts that once held them were reused over the course of development, or were destroyed, or are permanently locked up inside the company or in a box in some developer's attic. So most of the time you have to hope that the developer or publisher not only sent gaming publications or game stores some cartridges containing the game in an early state, but also that these carts weren't returned to the company or thrown into the garbage.
Basically be happy with what you get, and be especially happy when it's something interesting, because even late builds of games are growing increasingly harder to find as time goes on. In fact, understand that the only still existing prototype carts of your favorite game to ever be rediscovered might contain 90-95% complete versions, and that it's possible that no other versions still even exist, and if they do, might never be found, or at least not found by anybody who gives enough of a shit to share that they exist, much less dump them.
>>
File: 1706977860755584.jpg (68 KB, 699x485)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>10885392
I don't even know what the guy is complaining about, I just saw him having a mental breakdown so started @ing him
>>
>>10885363
Thanks chad. Fuck hoarders, and fuck Faggot Cifaldi also.
>>
>>10885391
Same anon. Prototypes are interesting in the same way that looking so old magazines on archive can be interesting

But overall the version of link having 4 frames death animation as opposed to 3 is not worth saying that it must be preserved at all cost and begging hoarders to dump.

Sooner gamers realize this, the sooner hoarders will stop stroking their ecock for being able to buy someone else's accomplishment in programming and think they are king shit of shitmountain.
>>
>>10885379
If you don't care about collectors, then why do you obsess over their collections?

Oh wait, you are just jealous. Lmao
>>
>>10885396
>>10885396

Cope and seethe.

Sounds like you are massively projecting after trying to white nights for hoarders
>>
>>10885396
based
>>
>>10885457
I don't. I just enjoy rubbing thier face in shit. Sounds like you are the one having a meltdown because people think your are a faggot.
>>
>>10884856
obesity
>>
>>10883698
>hoarder
Is a term used by anti ownership faggots
They are subhumans
>>
>>10885460
>>10885396

Kek hoarders are so desperate for validation they respond to themselves
>>
>>10885467
>the hoarder says through tearful eyes
>>
>>10885023
Which games have you finished and where can we download them?
>>
>>10885310
It's not, and chances are that version will never be found. The Famicom Disk prototype of Zelda which was dumped over a decade ago is quite likely the earliest build which will ever be "found."
>>
>>10885489
Sorry bro, I keep the completed games in my private collection.
>>
>>10883704
i dreamt or misremember to this day that on master quest in the ocarina of time gamecube port, king dodongo was in the kokiri forest. idk why
>>
>>10885503
Lol OK hoarder
>>
File: 1712964627820990.jpg (162 KB, 1024x576)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>10885396
>>
>>10885468
>>10885552

Cringe
>>
Anyone got that "byuu preservation" shitpost? I feel it's quite topical
>>
>>10885462
>I don't.
You clearly do. You obsess and fantasize about their collections like a jealous ex-girlfriend
>>
>>10885568
>projection
>this desperate for validation for buying shit

I can goto Google, type in retro games and get a gabillion results. Keep coping hoarder. I got more shit to rub your face in
>>
>save shit i find interesting over time
>eventually get stuff and share it just for the sake of sharing it
>it grows til i have a colleciton of reasonably neat but ultimately worthless mediums
>many of those links are dead now
>still have the physical media for most of em
>could make new uploads any time but dont because nobody cares anyway
>eventually get more stuff, very hard to get untouched
>someone learns that I have it somehow
>hounds the fuck out of me despite having made agreements not to share without explicit permission from the guy who passed it my way
>tell them they can get it from others, and name them, but they wont get it from me specifically and explain why
>props me up like the bad guy, rather than the dickheads charging money for the same shit which is more of a problem
>share it to someone other than this rabid cunt just to spite them, for free, with approval from the original dude
>they get angrier having learned this
>goes into schizo meltdown for a few years and slowly fades away
>now pass it around like candy because its been long enough and that ape probably got a copy, likely tampered, by now
honestly, worth it. just be nice and not a retarded cunt
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>10885578
I don't care about collectors or what they do.

You obsess over collectors and their items. It's gross.
>>
>>10885582
You sound like an absolute faggot.
>>
>>10885590
the rampant faggotry in the collecting/hoarding/releasing groups is far worse. i shared for fun for free because if i have it, others should too, but the one time something a little rarer shows up and you say no suddenly youre public enemy number 1
its out there now, but the sperging about it needs to fuck off. just be civil and it spreads and gets shared faster. at least im not 6+digits in debt for some gay rareware n64 dev cart like some retards are
>>
>>10885303
>i have no proof
>only unhinged cope
>>
>>10885589
So you white knight for hoarders for free? Like some sort of hoarder cuck?

Kwab
>>
holy crap he's still having a breakdown
>>
>>10885607
The hoarders? I know. It's hilarious how much of their self value is by buying others people's code.

Tell them you don't care and they melt down
>>
>>10885602
Is funny that their only accomplishment is buying someone's else's accomplishment.
>>
>>10885606
>I don't care about collectors
>I'm going to talk about collectors in every single one of my posts
Obsessed.
>>
>>10885618
>I entered this thread about hoarders
>and they are taking any hoarders
>how can this be?!

Cry more.
>>
>>10885617
having seen what these retards throw money at its honestly incredible they even have enough money to live off of but i digress.
i operate for free where i can. dont spend money on data, spend money on physical mediums like discs or cartridges, and if you do, cool dump it and share since thats what i did for a few years before those spergs showed up

theres times where spending is justified, like an auction or something. private sales past the 3 digit mark are fucking retarded unless its actual hardware or something like a GS Cube. never pay for data, ever. if youre being offered data, someone else has it. this is what the 360 scene taught me well
>>
>>10884087
>It's just a localization proto
Reminder it was a FDS game so its more than localization. They did change stuff also wasn't world/game 2 or wtv an American thing.
>>
>>10883698
>Looking at you MAME. Get your shit together. Hundreds of games that don't work right.
volunteers work on what they're interested in. if it bothers you so much learn C and do it yourself, or at least stop acting entitled to the free labor of others
>>
>>10885624
>the 360 scene
That explains the gayniggery
>>
Friendly reminder to seek medical assistance if your meltie lasts longer than 4 hours.
>>
>>10885637
i started with ps3, then peeked at 360 shit and immediately understood the problem. i have no idea how people can tolerate this shit. the ps3 people are cool until you infect them with a RAT and they dox you in response. as long as you dont actually cause problems, youre usually met with pretty open people who share stuff
>>
>>10885630
25 years and Mame still can't basic games to run. 25 YEARS. Entire COUNTRIES have been built in less time. Get your shit together.
>>
>>10885621
It's not even fun to banter with you. Your level is so weak that all you can do is just copy insults.
>>
>>10885671
>and yet he keeps responding
>seething, coping, crying

Hoarders are so fragile when they aren't being begged
>>
>>10884653
>Not true, are you retarded? if someone buys a game and then immediately dumps it that's not hoarding. Bootlicker.
You dumb retard. Im talking about back decades ago when no one wanted this trash. People hoarded it up instead of going into the trash and thats where the majority of obscure dumps came from that we have now. The ones who keep shit to themselves were either japs or newer hoarders that now think they have a monetary incentive to do so.
>>
>>10885017
Mostly they get analysed and documented for the kind of people who find this interesting.
With something like John Romero releasing an archive of Doom and Doom 2's developmental assets in 2014, mostly graphics, Doom modders have sourced lots of assets from there over the years, so for some games there's that value.
>>
File: 1533260433072.gif (1.11 MB, 400x307)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB GIF
>>10885192
>>
>>10885025
What fucking value is there in a translation prototype?

>>10884702
>It might not have been stolen
Then I'm sure all these proto carts will of course have individual written certifications with the Nintendo Seal Of Quality and Shigeru Miyamoto's signature on them verifying this!

Never mind that this still changes fucking nothing about the contents on the cartridge, which will still 100% belong to the dev/publisher. You actually have the mind and logic of a child, it's amazing.
>>
>>10885685
You have no talent for bantz
>>
>>10885467
>ownership
Who's ownership?
>>
>>10883695
We poppin bottles over this nigga dying
>>
>>10883704
I've had cool dreams about retro games. I had a dream that there was a cave in the waterfall of SM64. And that there was an entire FPS level in DK64.
>>
>>10885503
You sound like a hypocrite, but I know you are just full of shit.
>>
>>10885885
really anon? you think the guy claiming he downloads prototypes of games and then finishes developing them might be funposting?
>>
These are my favorite /vr/ threads. I love seeing losers crying about collectors having shit that they don't and impotently screaming hoarder. It's like watching Little League World Series to see the losing kids cry, but the retards here are more childish.
>>
>>10885891
Do you think I asked him in the first place expecting an honest answer?
>>
>>10883948
Well *I* heard it was intended as a first person dungeon crawler.
>>
>>10885894
>being this fragile

Ok hoarder. You aren't fooling anyone
>>
>>10885335
>Unfortunately, you can't beat Gannon without the Master Sword.
Actually, in games that actually have a "Master Sword", you only seal Ganon.
Link, with the Magic Sword, outright kills him.
>>
>>10884845
This shut them up lmao.
>>
>>10886001
Technically, it's the silver arrows that kill him. The sword, whatever it's called, only makes him visible so you can hit him with the arrow. Even if you've got the arrows, if you don't have the sword you'll never beat him.
>>
File: 1713054594814454.gif (641 KB, 252x336)
641 KB
641 KB GIF
This thread has convinced me that /vr/ is more mentally ill than /v/
>>
>>10886134
as a /v/ and /vg/ regular, trust me, /vr/ is not anywhere near as bad
>>
>>10883704
That would have to be an FDS proto, the NES version obviously had nothing new from the original.
>>
>>10886001
>>10886085
You don't even need the Magic Sword. The wooden one works fine. The problem is just that Ganon is the ONLY enemy in the game who's hard-coded to be immune to every item that isn't the sword (and the Silver Arrows, once he's stunned).
>>
>>10885192
based, it worked
>>
>>10886154
Well if we're mentioning /vg/, they're the kings and queens of mental illness
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qBkWerZDg
>>
>>10884060
Very likely just a boomer who locked it in a safe and never took it out, and eventually died of old age.
>>
>>10886154
/vr/ is relatively chill, you just get your occasional schizo boomer flipping out over stupid shit
>>
>>10883685
>dead hoarder
What an absolute devil. May God find pity in him.
>>
>>10886154
/vr/ is basically 2010s /v/
>>
>>10886589
I saw this in its natural environment and it haunted me for years before the invention of youtube because no one knew what the fuck I was talking about

I had the cereal too, it was so good
>>
>>10883685
imagine being such an asshole that you keep your prototypes to yourself until you kick the bucket
>>
>>10886589
>>10887158
It's funny to look back on the era when advertisers and marketers not only didn't understand videogames, but there were even some who openly thought they were flat out retarded, or were indignant over being stuck with advertising such goofy shit. The US's Super Mario RPG ad did something very similar, by having an implied Alzheimer's patient yell out plot details from the game.
>>
Zelda is an elf.
>>
>>10883685
>>10887170
If it's on a NES Cartridge it can't be that much of a beta build. Since it certainly would have already been released of Famicom Disk System.
SO WHO FUCKING CARES
>>
>>10887287
It might have a different way of killing Pols Voice.
>>
>>10885303
God bless them nickers.

The ko console successfully playing the 'snes games cd' couldn't be that surprising? It was already able to read cds and play snes roms.
>>
>>10885346
>words are only allowed one highly specific meaning
Overflowing with junk is how I view most poorly curated collections. One person's treasure is another's trash and your own effects are no different.
>>
I too like to invent new definitions for words then get irrationally angry when nobody else knows what I'm attempting to communicate
>>
>>10884660
i agree, they do not have the right to nintendo's property :^)
>>
i think if you come across some piece of history, it should be preserved, no matter what it is
sure, it's just a similar build to the final game, but it's still a piece of gaming history, one of the most famous games no less, i'd say it has importance
keeping it to yourself is a faggot move, i can't see any moral reason to do so, most of the time it's for money anyway which is uber gay
these dev builds aren't supposed to be out, they're never your property because you're not supposed to have them to begin with, that makes each one that leaks special
as for whether the guy was a hoarder by technicality does it really matter
i'd say he was, going by the definition of 'hoard'
>accumulate (money or valued objects) and hide or store away
>>
>>10887540
>debug build #892734298756
>history
>>
>>10887545
every little step is history, i wouldn't say it's above that sonic 3 beta dump for example, but it's still history
>>
>>10887551
guess everyone should be under 24/7 surveillance then and have it all stored in a government data storage facility

you know, for historical preservation purposes ;^)
>>
>>10887556
what's with the jumping to extremes? what are you even saying
>>
>>10887562
you're the one who thinks it's historically important to preserve a timesheet of when the devs took bathroom breaks
>>
>>10887573
what are you talking about, this is a poor troll
>>
>>10885991
In the pre-production idea stage, maybe.
>>
The first iteration was actually a 3rd person 3D MMORPG, but Shiggy gave up because he's a quitter.
>>
Curious how the people demanding collectors share their prototypes don't make the same demands of the developers themselves.
>>
"Look at me im a faggot because of jealous of something someone owns that I don't, even if it is a buggy version of something I have a retail copy of. Look at me I'm a faggot"
>>
>>10887648
its hard to bully nintendo but maybe if i post hard enough the collector nerds will do what i want
>>
>>10887648
game developers should be legally required to turn over all development material to the government for preservation and distribution following release
>>
>>10887654
And honestly with a decent number of prototypes, the physical thing itself winds up being the most meaningful thing, since the content is often final or incredibly close.
>>
>buy something
>put it in a closet and forget about it
>go on with life
>this makes retards seethe
Hoarders are based. When that something finally does release, these same retards don't care and still seethe lmao
>>
>>10887676
>everyone in this thread arguing against private property ownership, stemming from jealousy
It's mostly jealousy. These are the same people who look at pictures of things they don't own and get irrationally upset. These same people probably don't even have a job either so they can't afford to buy the things they want.
>>
>>10887696
This. Game devs should have 24 hours after a game's release to turn over all documents, code, and builds related to the game's development for public redistribution or face the consequences.
>>
File: delayed-kek.gif (1.52 MB, 500x375)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB GIF
Best /vr/ thread in a long while, I wish nintendy betas were dumped more frequently so we can have more mental illness kino.
>>
File: 1688298165241271.jpg (14 KB, 142x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>10888012
>consequences
game dev here, what are you going to do about it?
>>
I picked up a LttP prototype at Goodwill which is like a completely different game and 100% finished and playable. No, I will not release it.
>>
Excellent news. I'm sure thousands of people will play and joy this unfinished rom.
>>
wonder how many of these "prototypes" are just retards who bought someone's homemade flash cart running some shitty romhack
>>
>>10886134
It's bad in here but not as bad /v/ or /vg/
>>
>>10888082 eureka! Brother we are getting paid...
>>
>>10885318
Should have stuck to female sperm.
>>
>>10887989
>words REALLY do have only one meaning
>ESL
Hard to tell if the level of butthurt exceeds the retardation here

>>10887994
This. Itt.
I get the interest in having a new toy like this but not the inflated sense of entitlement to it.
>>
ZELDAAAAAA
>>
Here's my opinion that makes you all mad:
If you own a prototype that is an unreleased game if is vital that you rip it online for preservation. People like the Nintendoage fags who just hoard it because it "decreases the value when it resales" are just faggots
However, in this case? When it's one of the most preserved games of all time and released in a refined version? Absolutely zero reason this needs to be dumped unless it's almost a different game entirely with differences. This cartridge just has minor bugs and a few minor changed aspects and there's no need that it needs to be dumped
>>
>>10884856
Died of cringe
>>
>>10883685
,,, why does it look like it's in an FDS Disk Writer kiosk cart?
>>
>>10888012
This, but for destruction.
>>
>>10887551
At some point it becomes a disorder to try to preserve absolutely everything.
>>
>>10884325
This is one of those guys that makes $30k a year and has a “dont tread on me” license plate.
>>
>>10883704
>Damn it, i was expexting a wildly different map, graphics and such.
why the fuck would it be that, it's just an unfinished game.
>>
>>10885363
thanks, needs fixing though
>>
Great but Id rather see the cart burned.
>>
>>10887180
Oh shit this is real https://youtu.be/PXA6IE2tUC0?si=2rzBq5RCSanisR6_
>>
>>10883730
yeah, tell that to anyone that unintentionally bought a stolen car at auction
>>
>>10885582
somewhat relatable. used to scan my doujinshi collection and share what I did, but got tired to dealing with a certain group of faggots complaining. so I stopped. fuck em. ungrateful cunts ruin it for everyone.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 240x209)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>10885206
>faggots going "omg dump it! There's a pixel in level 3 that wasn't there in the final build!!!!!!!!!!!" Need to get a life
but that pixel is valuable gaming history that needs to be documented and preserved on an unofficial fansite running MediaWiki for future historians of videogame industry codebase development because of the limited lifespans of the cartridge and/or floppy disk which holds binary information that could be irreversibly lost had it not been rescued
>>
>>10892803
No its a jew trying to justify selling what was a $30 game cartridge from 1992 for $600 to redditors by stroking their egos with useless information.
>>
>>10892821
>almost 2 hours of mcdicks flipping vs a day and a half
>>
>>10892821
if you guys think it's that valuable and pay for it why not, has nothing to do with ego. it's profit.
>>
>>10884060
Both
>>
>>10892742
>those 90s haircuts on those kids
goddamn wtf were we thinking
>>
>>10892771
Yeah, it's doubly irritating because most of the people who angrily demand shit contribute nothing themselves.
>hey, this thing cost me $xxxx to obtain, and I'll have to spend x amount of time backing it up, how about sending me some money to help offset my costs so I'll be more motivated to give you what you want
>...f-fucking hoarder!!!
>>
>>10894586
Facts 100%

I actually know of someone who found a very, very, rare game not dumped in Mame or emulation yet. He asked for funds from this gaming group to order it from Japan from the private seller. This group was focused on dumping games for preservation. They told him to Order it first, and promised to reimburse him later. They said to just get the game before someone else buys it. Guy spends almost one thousand dollars ordering from Japan from a private seller.

Game arrives and he asks for some reimbursement. Group refused to contribute a single cent to offset costs, and just demanded the guy dump the game. Pressured him over and over but wouldn't give him any money. Guy eventually told them to fuck off. Group admins got upset and kicked him out of every platform and social media they used. Called him lot of names for refusing to share. Called him greedy. Etc.

Now guy will NOT work with preservation groups anymore. He said doesn't hate the idea of preservation, but he hates the people running these organizations. They are ego driven, greedy, and refuse to actually put any personal Funds forward.
>>
>>10894641
Imagine blowing all your money on some shit nobody cares about with the expectation that others will pay you for it. You can tell this retard maybe had one other guy go "yeah I'll give you a hundred bucks towards it" or something and then he went all in with the expectation of reimbursement for some crap quiz game nobody cares about. Then he re-opens with "hey I have this rare game now but you need to pay me for me to release it", and is shocked when people call him a faggot.

Your buddy is scum. Don't get me wrong here, the guys who possibly misled him into thinking they'd pay him for the game are also scum, but two wrongs don't make a right. The guy got scammed by some retarded kids and so decided to withhold a game out of spite.

>>10894586
Nothing sadder than guys who get upset about retards. I once translated a manga for fun for a week, because I wanted to see how lazy translators actually are and how much effort it actually takes to pump out a chapter (turns out, about an hour or two), and I had a good laugh reading the comments section after where some retards were saying they'd wait for the third worlder guys I'd "sniped" to catch up because my translation was weird, I guess it didn't have enough mistakes for them. How fragile does your ego have to be to see someone demanding shit or whining and not just laugh at them?

I don't think I'll ever understand the mentality of guys who do things because they want other people to like them. I do shit for me. I release shit because I prefer to have a digital version and it's nice to not have to worry about the upkeep when some other guys will do all the maintenance work for me in case my drives blow up.
>>
>>10894684
>The guy got scammed by some retarded kids and so decided to withhold a game out of spite.
Clearly you didn't read the story. He withheld the game because he wasn't PAID.
>>
>>10894685
The fact he expected to be PAID is why he's a retard. The whole preservationist mentality is "ooh I've gotta PRESERVE". Imagine joining that kind of circle and not even understanding the first thing about the "movement". It's sad he was dumb enough to get scammed, but he got kicked and blocked for ignoring the first rule of preservation club, which is that you preserve shit. Turning around and going "sorry guys, I didn't get paid enough for spending my money on shit, I'm just not gonna release this" is the antithesis of the ideal.
>>
>>10894690
Why would you want to help others who refuse to help you?
>>
>>10894684
But that preservation group didn't even contribute a single dollar to help the guy out. Those who don't contribute have no right to talk.
>>
>>10892830
You get your fun while playing games not hoarding them.
>>
>>10894691
I don't? Like I said, I release things for my own benefit.

The mentality of preservationists is that if you have the opportunity to release something, you should. Your friend is an opportunist, he saw an opportunity to receive social capital by doing something he didn't personally care about, and then was baited into a bad situation by other opportunists. If you're selling something online, do you ship the product first and hope the guy pays you later? No. This kind of shit is the first rule of business and trust.

>>10894694
We're talking about ideological differences here. For the preservationists, it's morally wrong to "hold back" in the hopes of reimbursement. His only real option if he wanted to preserve the worthless relationship with the group would be to release the game and hope he got paid after, which might've made him 20 bucks back. This whole culture is pretty established by now, the way it works is you drum up the masses and go "oh man I need to hit 50k on my patreon this week or panty quiz 5 might be bought by a dirty hoarder instead!" to milk money from the masses, but the majority of these guys are operating at a loss. If you want to make money from those lemmings, you have to be established as a guy who releases shit. It's all politics, and most of the lemmings have been bit a few too many times to instantly trust a guy coming along saying he has a thousand dollar game but he just needs a little bit of money to upload it because western union has locked up his gold supply and he can't afford an internet connection this month.
>>
>>10894712
>We're talking about ideological differences here. For the preservationists, it's morally wrong to "hold back" in the hopes of reimbursement.
Is it holding back when they promised him they would pay him? My understanding of anon's story is that the only reason they even have the *possibility* of accessing the game was because of that guy knowing Japanese and having the connections to order it. Without that guy, the group would have nothing.
>>
It's really sad how every, single, time with hoarders and collectors their response is always "you're a seething poorfag!". They have their heads so far up their asses they genuinely can not comprehend another point of view.
This is why the only correct answer is not to answer at all, anyone who thinks they can talk to them or even about them (yes, that means me too I realize that) is only feeding their delusions.
People who dump, catalog and document protos should not talk to them. The protos are gone, forget it, you can't save everything. EVEN in the case the hoarder in question is trying to start conversation with them they should just ignore it. EVEN in a case like this where the proto was retrieved from a hoarder, the hoarder should not have been mentionned. This is the only way to fight hoarding, by denying their existence; doing a victory lap like this "against" them only strengthens the hoarding cause.
>>
I am over 800 pounds and have undumped games hoarded in my various lard folds. When my heart inevitably explodes they will be secreted by my corpse and sold at a yard sale by mother.
>>
>>10894715
>My understanding of anon's story is that the only reason they even have the *possibility* of accessing the game was because of that guy knowing Japanese and having the connections to order it. Without that guy, the group would have nothing.
With that guy, they have nothing.

Look, I always take stories like this with a grain of salt. We don't know the extent to which the guy was promised reimbursement, we don't know how retarded his posts were, we don't know if he intentionally held everything back from the group out of fear of spooking the seller or whatever. For all we know it's a yahoo auction that failed to sell and he sent the guy an email asking if it was still available, and he wanted to be the big guy in charge of the deal but didn't bother getting payment first.

The problem is that once you have the game, the immediate question is why haven't you uploaded it? Which is why you have to frame things for the lemmings. You can't come in and say "I have the game, pay me first", because this flags you as a hoarder.
>>
>>10894757
based
>>
>>10894771
Diff anon here. Japan has hundreds of games that was never released in the West. These western Preservation groups have no idea. They don't even know what they are missing. They don't even know these games exist.
>>
>>10894641
>a fool and they/thems money are soon parted
Many such cases
>promised to reimburse him later
sauce?
>>
>>10894775
Been donating to a Japanese preservatio group for the last few years. They're mostly focusing on pre-Win95 PC releases
>>
>>10885582
>>10892771
Entitled fags who wanna complain about free stuff are always trash. Remember that old Shandalar Magic:The Gathering PC game? Some hardcore fan had put in tons of time and effort into modding it and figuring out how to put new cards into it, to the point where he had most cards up to about 2015 in the game.
Some cunt came along and started complaining about how not EVERY card was in yet. This is because the modder was trying to get cards in the game with mechanics the game was never designed for. But that was unacceptable to Mr. Entitled Cunt, who complained and complained and then threatened to go to Wizards of the Coast and tell them about this mod if the modder didn't put every card in RIGHT NOW. To protect himself, the modder shut down the project and deleted all download links.
You have people in this very thread whining about MAME not having certain games emulated yet, and I can promise you none of them have contributed jack shit.
>>
>>10883685
The vaAaalue!
>>
File: 1508140697340.jpg (9 KB, 300x222)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>10888039
>>
>>10895261
lol
>>
>>10885759
>what value is there
Whatever spergs put on it, and it's something that spergs love.
>>
>>10894694
Everyone has the right to talk.
>>
>>10896425
Not everyone has credibility. Only those who have contributed have credibility.

Anyone else is just background noise from the peanut gallery.
>>
>>10884870
Kek
>>
>>10883695
Now that we know what it is it's obvious he kept it because it was worth more when people thought it might be something interesting
>>
>>10896886
People who argue that dumping a prototype doesn't hurt value haven't really followed the market. For random, run of the mill protos, sure, but unreleased? Those certainly wind up selling for more when they're undumped (and I say this as somebody who has in fact purchased unreleased game prototypes after a dump found its way online, for a fraction of what they sold for prior to being dumped)
>>
>>10896443
You have no credibility. So your claims about who has credibility have no credibility.
>>
>>10897018
I paid money for my collection. So that makes me more credible than some loser who brags about emulating. Anyone can emulate. You aren't special.

And the games I've collected don't work in Mame.
>>
>>10883712
>>
>>10883724
>It's the publishers property
And therefore the hoarder shouldn't publish the data themselves.
>>
>>10897207
Ironically the British government and museums are giving back items to their home country and apologizing for colonizing items that didn't belong to them
>>
>>10897290
>relinquishing claim to items they "rightfully" acquired over the centuries by digging them up, buying them, or seizing them in conquest
>giving them back to the people of the countries that the items came from so people don't need to travel across the world to see a piece of their own history
If only the hoarders could learn from the British government's example.
>>
>>10884584
Are you crazy? They had to murder the hoarder to get the cart. It's a cruel thing but it has to be done to all of them, for video games preservation.
>>
>>10885310
No, Miyamoto is keeping that version safe in a usb drive he keeps in his asshole.
>>
>>10897148
>that makes me more credible
No. It doesn't. You have no credibility.
>>
>>10897564
I am the credibility bank.

And you just got denied.

Emuf4gs have no credit here.
>>
>>10892830
>/v/
>good
Enjoy talking to literal 12 year old wojak spammers.
>>
File: So do you.jpg (10 KB, 428x241)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>10897207
>>
>>10896443
Correct and if they want to make an ass of themself, that's their choice and their right.
>>
>>10895257
>You have people in this very thread whining about MAME not having certain games emulated yet, and I can promise you none of them have contributed jack shit.
Pretty much; I have my own qualms with the MAME guy but I still feel like a peasant coming into his extravagant soup kitchen, given what it/Finalburn supply me for 0 cents. I've got a completely free folder of 50 of my favorite arcade games that run flawlessly. When you take a step back and realize how blessed that is, it makes you realize you'd be real bitchmade to demand more while giving nothing in return.
Honestly same goes for every emulator, we've just had it so good for so long that we forget how good it is. Take a second to appreciate the tech we have bros, some autist worked very hard on every bit if it.
>>
>>10898160
Its best to ignore those posters who are entitled. I remember a time before emulation was invented. The only way to play big hit games was by owning the system and console. If you wanted to play FF7 when it came out, then you had to get a PS1. Same with Mario 64. Etc. Ignore the haters. Always be humble and grateful for what we have.
>>
>>10885303
Holy shit, i hate Iwatar
>>
>>10891145
The rough draft of many books look wildly different to their final drafts.
>>
>>10884571
Both are incredibly important, dipshit. The only way to preserve things is property rights. Otherwise, the British museum's artifacts would've been LOOONG gone by now.
>>
>>10897462
And now all of those artifacts are gonna get destroyed, because the countries will not have any interest in preserving them. Funny how that works.
>>
>>10885192
Unfortunately doesn't seem to work with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
>>
You are free to dump games for preservation. But that doesn't mean I have to help you or contribute any rare games. Good luck.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.