[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Arcade thread.

Just returned from another jaunt to Galloping Ghost and this is what I discovered this time
>Friend showed me Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, absolutely loved it, we finished it
>Beat House of the Dead 4 for the first time can't wait to try the other routes and perfect it over time
>Michael Jackson Moonwalker is not a shitpost, it's very fun
>>
>>10889124
>we finished it
1cc? Or 2cc since there were two of you.
>House of the Dead 4
If only there were more SMG based light gun games
>Michael Jackson Moonwalker is not a shitpost, it's very fun
I doubt it. Post proof.
>>
>>10889672
>If only there were more SMG based light gun games
There's nothing I hate more than machine gun games. They're just shit, there's no aiming, you're just listening to the stupid rumble.
>>
>>10889124
>house of the dead 4
it was a dream of mine playing it on arcade (l played hod2 on arcade but backthen it had a cracked screen which was a shitty thing) and i am glad i was be able to try it in an old mall in a country i traveled to.
>>
>>10891716
I grew up on house of the dead 1 & 2 in the arcade. When they got house of the dead 4 at my local bowling alley I thought it was kinda lame in comparison, but better than nothing. I think the only other game they had at the time was a couple of DDR machines which I wasn’t into at the time but now I’d love to play some DDR.
>>
>>10889672
You really think they 1cc’d a game they played for the first time? The machines at that arcade are on free play.
>>
>>10889124
If you're wondering why Galloping Ghost doesn't have a certain game it's because the owner gets machines donated to him, or he buys what's available from local collectors. Sometimes that means he's missing games due to lack of availability.
>>
>>10889124
Did you play in the latest expansion? I heard they expanded into a new building. What games did they have?
>>
File: 1692859621488.jpg (62 KB, 600x450)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Miss your old arcade? No arcades in your area? Get yourself a garagecade.
>>
>>10891976
Does anyone really need 3 copies of dragon's lair?

Honestly, thank god for emulation. It's wonderful being able to play games today better than they were in the arcade.
>>
>>10891993
>9th reply
You couldn't even wait 10 posts before trolling the arcade thread, and talking about how great emulation is?
>>
>go to biggest arcade in the world
>1000+ games
>play common games you can find anywhere
>>
>>10892052
MAME sperg, I don't even use MAME. I use M2, supermodel, Demul, you know, good emulators. I don't even want to mention TP because you'll probably sperg out about how playing games literally designed for PC hardware on a PC is verboten because you're emulating the DRM dongles.
>>
>>10892376
He didn't mention MAME. Take your meds.
>>
>>10892376
Leave MAME out of these threads, you autist.
>>
>>10892376
Nobody asked, retard.
>>
>>10892052
>has a shitfit over the idea that emulation exists
Why is it arcade games is the only platform where autists freak out when you mention emulators?
>>
>>10892495
I assume it's because there are many, many arcade machines that can't be properly emulated for one reason or another (mainly due to having special controls), so arcades are needed to house them. And in order to stay open, arcades need people going to them to play the games.
>>
>>10892558
>mainly due to having special controls
Just build your own? I can think of maybe a handful of gimmick machines with controls that would take more than 5 minutes to build yourself.
>>
>>10891860
>>10889798
this board sucks
>>
>>10892593
just stop posting you bore there are hundreds of machines that are hard to make and are not gimmicks such as star wars or operation wolf
>>
>>10892558
you are not allowed say that because it upsets what you are allowed say on this board, it emulsion gud, collecting bad, nintendo good sony bad og arcade cabinets bad Chinese handheld emulators made yesterday good. once you realize this board despises retro games and systems and the people who own or love them unless its plebbit nintendo cancer it all makes sense
>>
>>10891993
>Honestly, thank god for emulation. It's wonderful being able to play games today better than they were in the arcade.
kill yourself
>>
>>10892667
>there are hundreds of machines that are hard to make and are not gimmicks such as star wars or operation wolf
You can literally buy a yoke that's pretty close for star wars. Operation Wolf is a little tougher, but if you aren't autistic a positional gun will work and you can pick one up fairly inexpensively these days.

I was thinking more of shit like FotNS where you have to build punch pads and shit, why are you bringing up games that are really easy to emulate?
>>
>>10889124
>>Michael Jackson Moonwalker is not a shitpost, it's very fun
Agreed, I like both the Genesis and arcade version. The arcade version is definitely more fun. I'm happy to say I've experienced both.
>>
>>10891890
I have wondered about why no Time Crisis desu
>>
>>10892495
>Why is it arcade games is the only platform where autists freak out when you mention emulators?
Arcade games are funded by people going to arcades. Not emulation. If people go to arcades, then more arcade games won't be made. If you don't support them, then arcade companies will shut down. We've already lost a few dozen at arcade companies over the decades. Leave the few remaining alone.
>>
File: 1689683686872.jpg (126 KB, 900x1200)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>10893123
>I have wondered about why no Time Crisis desu
Galloping Ghost owner says he had 250 arcade cabinets still in storage and he's not sure where he can put them in the arcade.
>>
>>10889672
Moonwalker would have been made during the peak of the medium, no reason to doubt they could take just about anything and turn it into a competent platformer
>>
File: 1705435123090.jpg (146 KB, 1185x1500)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>10893292
Deluxe version superior
>>
>>10893394
It's sad that these days we have 50+ inch screens in the home, and yet no light guns to use them with. Makes me laugh whenever I see a gun4IR/Sinden setup with the guy forced to stand a fucking mile away, that shitty arcade1up machine is comical.
>>
File: 1692195647649.jpg (679 KB, 3024x4032)
679 KB
679 KB JPG
Currently training the next generation of arcade fans.
>>
>>10892495
>Why is it arcade games is the only platform where autists freak out when you mention emulators?
Why is it you emulationf4gs can't stay in your own emulation general thread? Does your OCD compell you to post in other threads?
>>
File: 1712840266727.jpg (84 KB, 375x500)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Galloping Ghost is set to add their 1000th game later this year? Anyone have any guesses what it could be? Last time they hit a milestone (10 year anniversary) they added a Sega R360.

Let's hear your guesses!
>>
>>10889124
Those HotD 4 Submachine light guns were pain in the butt to maintain. The constant shaking always made the sensor out of alignment after a while and we would always have to service them, or recalibrate them.
>>
File: the best gradius song.jpg (112 KB, 500x500)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>10891976
>>10891993
Most people don't have space for a cabinet at home, and most people don't live close to a functioning arcade. Emulating + a good joystick is the next best alternative. However, the best games to play in the arcades are the ones with feedback. Stuff like a rotating chair or cockpit, or a light gun with a rumble device in it. The next, next best way to experience arcade games would be to play home console ports. The NES has some pretty charming ports of 80s arcade games. It's fun to practice on the port, and then try out the real thing.
>>
File: 1706738040981.jpg (91 KB, 682x1024)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>10893813
I remember it was always weird for me to play Street Fighter 2 on a SNES or Genesis controller. My muscle memory got thrown off when I go to the arcade which had a flat 6 Button layout.
>>
>>10891860
>When they got house of the dead 4 at my local bowling alley I thought it was kinda lame in comparison
They toned down the graphic violence and blood in the sequels.

HOTD 1 and 2 pushed the limits of what was acceptable and even parents complained.

HOTD 3 and 4 were just standard for the time.
>>
>>10893534
It's so pointless, too, because they're bragging about something which the original*fags have the same amount of access to, and in many cases were probably using before the emulation acolytes were old enough to know how to download a ROM. Fuck, I was probably using emulators before the average such poster was even born.
>>
>>10893285
>If you don't support them, then arcade companies will shut down.
How much shit do you need to be huffing to think that the few people who even give a shit about arcade emulation will be enough to turn a demographic tide that shifted over 20 years ago? Arcades died and are on life support since internet multiplayer exists. 80% of your playerbase moving on to online gaming can't be fixed by 3% of your playerbase saying "We'll never emulate again!". Time to face reality anon, kids today don't get $5 and say "Boy, I can't wait to go to an arcade and play 5-10 games for about half an hour total!" They much rather spend that money on some in-game currency/points to buy some virtual goods with. And before you even try to point to Galloping Ghost, how many kids get $25 and say "Gee, I can't wait to spend all $25 just to play videogames for a single day"?
Arcades being a big thing among children isn't coming back unless the internet ceases to exist. Companies are leaving arcades since there is no money to be had, the demographic isn't growing. And with the internet providing free multiplayer gaming, arcades can't compete. You are upset at emulation for something it has zero effect on.
>>
File: lemon.jpg (109 KB, 1200x1190)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>10894294
>how many kids get $25 and say "Gee, I can't wait to spend all $25 just to play videogames for a single day"?
Pretty sure tons of manchildren do.
>>
>>10894294
I will say that for as much as people like to shit on the concept, barcades have certainly brought arcades back from the brink of extinction in the US. At least whenever I go to one in my area, they seem to do be doing pretty well, with customers ranging from little kids to manchildren to pinball boomers to drunk sluts to FGC-type gamers.
>>
>>10894301
The demographic isn't growing though, that's the issue. Just like how online shopping killed big box retail stores, and malls are never going to be as popular and plentiful as they once were.

>>10894354
No, barcades took over the industry, and took away the business(and still working machines) from many remaining arcades. All that remains besides the barcades are a few arcades and most of them are run by hardcore enthusiasts who have no one to replace them when they die. The only reason the barcades are doing well is because they are bars first and the arcade part is just entertainment for the drunks. Remove the booze, and the barcades are going to do just as well as modern arcades.
Thinking that barcades turning a profit means arcades are reviving is a bit like thinking that your local comic shop turning a profit from merchandise, board games, and CCG's, means that comics are becoming popular again.
>>
>>10894390
Were mall arcades not arcades? Were minigolf arcades not arcades? Were lasertag arcades not arcades? Roller rink arcades? Bowling alley arcades? Restaurant arcades? US arcades have a lifelong history of being attached to other things, and is how the vast majority of people experienced arcade games, even during their heyday.
>>
>>10894354
I don't understand the problem people have with barcades as long as they have real games and not just a bunch of ticket machines. I went to one that sucked because 1/2 of the machines were effectively just mobile games where the goal was to earn tickets to turn in, and the other half was games. However, I've also been to ones that had none of that ticket nonsense, and were just filled with classic arcade cabinets. The quality of the barcade comes down to the owner, much like Galloping Ghost. If the owner actually cares about the machines, and fixes them up himself, it's probably going to be a good barcade.
>>10894390
Don't forget that mobile games effectively replaced the "classic" score-attack arcade style game. And many of them are free. Some of them are even good. All of them fit in your phone, which you can take anywhere. So at any point, you can whip out your phone and try to go for a high score. Kids at large have no interests in arcades, and why would they? They grew up with more, cheaper offerings. Barcades appeal to both normie and sperg adults. Normies feel safe because they can drink. Spergs feel safe because they can play games. It's honestly a great middle ground, and a pretty genius combination.
>>
>>10894405
The difference here is all of those were when arcades and arcade gaming were far more popular than they are now. You don't see many random arcade machines at your local gas station/pizza joint/bowling alley anymore precisely because they don't make big profits anymore. The barcade isn't getting big profits off the arcade machines, they get the money from the alcohol.
Again, take away the alcohol and the barcades will be struggling to stay afloat just like the arcades they killed off.
>>
>>10894426
In a lot of areas there weren't really any games-only arcades to be killed off, they'd already gone away before barcades became a thing. Probably why for a good chunk of years during the 2000s and 2010s that a lot of arcade stuff was relatively cheap and a lot was bought by home arcade hobbyists.
>>
>>10894294
This has nothing to do with emulation. This has everything to do with the fact that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the amusement industry operates.

Games like Time Crisis 5, House of the Dead 5, Sega Mission Impossible, etc are funded directly by arcade cabinet sales to arcade businesses. These games are made because the arcade industry still exists.
>>
>>10894426
I recognize your rhetoric. You're the same anon who hasnt visited an arcade in years and claims they don't want to drive 20 minutes to see one because it's too much of a hassle. And you spend all your time here bashing arcades.

Please leave this thread and let the rest of us enjoy discussing arcade machines and arcade businesses.
>>
>>10894479
>Games like Time Crisis 5, House of the Dead 5, Sega Mission Impossible, etc are funded directly by arcade cabinet sales to arcade businesses
All of these games are atrocious. Sega have lost the plot, Namco have lost the plot, I would rather have arcades dead forever than get these shitty cash grab releases.
>>
>>10892376
>Demul
>good emulator
fucking kek
>>
>>10894483
No idea if it's the same guy, but I don't think the person you're talking about has ever been to an arcade.
>>
>>10894526
>All of these games are atrocious. Sega have lost the plot, Namco have lost the plot, I would rather have arcades dead forever than get these shitty cash grab releases.
So why do you even post here then? It's clear you want arcades dead. Leave the rest of us alone.
>>
>>10894554
Do you even know what board you're on? Your crusade for the modern "arcade experience" is literally off-topic.
>>
File: 1689579872526.png (347 KB, 450x600)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
Oh yeah. This cab is legendary. First 3D lightgun game.
>>
>>10894479
>Games like Time Crisis 5, House of the Dead 5, Sega Mission Impossible, etc are funded directly by arcade cabinet sales to arcade businesses. These games are made because the arcade industry still exists.
You are getting upset over the mention of emulation on a board where the specific emulation you are worried about is a forbidden subject. The only people who would talk about arcade emulation on /vr/ are talking specifically about OLD games that are not currently being produced and sold.
At this point I'm convinced that the people raging against emulation in arcade threads are full on autistic. Because holy shit man, you are screaming about a bad guy who isn't even allowed on this board. Seek help.
>>
>>10894593
This is an arcade cabinet thread. Not an emulation thread. You are tryimg to derail discussion about arcades by going on rants about emulation.

If you want to discuss emulation, then go post in the emulation thread. This is not the place.
>>
>>10894593
Your response has nothing to do with what he said.
>>
>>10894617
No it's a general arcade thread. A thread to discuss arcade games and their ports. Emulation would fall under the game section of the topic. I have no idea why you're getting your panties so twisted over this. No one is suggesting emulation is the true experience, and if anything, emulation would lead to a desire to visit an arcade to experience the games the way they were meant to be played. The fact you'd rather crusade against emulation rather than happily discuss the games being emulated shows your priorities are all fucked. Anything that gets people interested in arcades is a good thing. Emulation isn't suddenly going to change the mind of someone who wanted to go to an arcade and make them not want to go.

No one os saying emulation is better, no one is saying stop visiting arcades. Please understand this.
>>
>>10895124

>No it's a general arcade thread.
*Arcade* thread.

>Emulation would fall under the game section of the topic.
Nope. We HAVE a dedicated emulation thread. Go post there.

>I have no idea why you're getting your panties so twisted over this.
You do this for every arcade thread. Go look at the archives. You troll the thread talking about how much emulation is better and how arcade cabinets and arcade businesses need to die. This is not the thread for that.
>>
File: 1707371464253.jpg (139 KB, 665x900)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Arcade thread? These are awesome. I love arcade cabinet.

Anyone know where I can find a working Star Trek Captains Chair arcade game?

I just read about it and want to try it out.
>>
>>10893438
Great job Agent 38
Keep Going
>>
File: sad_sonic1.png (144 KB, 400x400)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>10891890
>tfw I'll likely never play Motor Raid on real hardware since it was sold as an upgrade kit for a shitty game
>>
Im buying a two player Daytona usa unit this summer. Im getting a moving truck to store it in my parents garage, but i will need to make further adjustments to get it into the akward entrance way turn of my house. Beyond seperating the machines and detaching the seat from the screen section, does anyone know how much further one could disassemble the monitor section without removing things internally? Like is there a top and bottom section to the monitor that can be separated? Is there a chassis inside holding the guts together in a frame that would let you remove the side panels? I just need to get it down small enough to fit in a SUV and then up into an entrance way that requires going up steps and then making a turn into a doorway.
>>
>>10893613
Ridge Racer Full Scale
>>
>>10896624
It depends on which model of arcade cabinet you are buying. Daytona was very, very, very popular and they made like 7 different arcade cabinets.
>>
File: 1711108283001.jpg (149 KB, 752x533)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>10896624
Is it this one?
>>
>>10896632
>>10896647
It's this model. Guy im buying it from said he would remove the top marquee, coin box and seperate the machines so they can be easily moved into a moving truck. He didn't recommend removing the seat section from the screen section due to it tipping, which i was aware of, but i will need to inorder to remove it into my akward entrance. But does that screen section further break down into "chunks" for easier transport? It looks like that larger section with the screen may come off of the bottom,smaller section.
>>
>>10896579
What city or state do you live in? Maybe I can do some research and see if any motor raid cabinets are still around.
>>
>>10892376
You are SEVERELY autistic, life-threateningly autistic, even.
>>
File: 1686641443728.jpg (347 KB, 675x900)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>10896651
Unfortunately, your particular cabinet model doesn't come apart "easily". All the electronics and components to run the game are stored underneath the seat. IIRC the bottom flat section is hard bolted to the top section. No user friendly "quick disconnects" . You can disconnect the seat with the right tools. But Sega made disassembling the whole cabinet hard and not easy.
Your cabinet was designed by Sega to be transported as mostly one piece. Later cabinet models changed that.

Like the guy said the easiest part is splitting the cabinets, removing the marquee, and removing the coin box. But anything more than that takes some serious effort, the right tools, and time.

You may have to put it in a garage first, dedicate a day or two just to disassemble it, then move it into your house piece by piece. Then reassemble it .

If you had the (pic related) arcade cabinet, then the seat section would be much easier to disassemble. It easily disconnects from the main body. Just a few latches and a few quick disconnect bolts.
>>
>>10896697
Hmm, so the whole seat section with the board inside doesn't disconnect easily from the monitor part? I am fine with unscrewing the bolts holding them together, but is there still a mess of wires keeping them tethered together that requires going in deep to either section to disconnect them? I may have an easier time going through my garage with it, but im worried about the width of the screen section. Do you happen to know if the side panels are attached to an internal frame or are they actually structurally integral to that section?
>>
File: 1696719031008.jpg (69 KB, 309x519)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>10896707
The whole thing can be disassembled. Just not easily. It requires more work and tools. Sega expected these cabinets to be used in commercial locations with large doors and being transported in cargo trucks.

Then when they got feedback from arcade owners, Sega added more features (based on feedback from arcades) to make certain sections easily able to be disconnected. I believe your cabinet is an early model that doesn't have as many of those features.

I also highly recommend you bring at least one (preferable two) other person with you to help you load it. These cabinets are very heavy. Several hundred pounds. Don't rely on the owner to help you lead. I've shown up to places and the owner didn't help at all. Other times even with the owners help it was still a struggle. More guys helping = much better and easier time.

Oh yeah, bring some tools with you just in case, Like a wrench set, ratchets, etc. Just in case

Also Here's the rear view of your cabinet so you understand what I mean. As you can see the rear section is a wooden piece. There's around 12 to 15 bolts holding the bottom section in place to the rear wooden section.
>>
>>10891976
looking at this makes me sad inside.
>>
>>10896764
>looking at this makes me sad inside.
Why? Because you love 1980s arcade cabinets and feel like you missed out on an era?
>>
>>10892660
While I technically agree with you, I must offer you to option to 'fuck off' you you think it's sucks this much.
>>
>>10896651
Do your moving truck have a hydraulic lift or ramp? Those cabs are heavy af. They don't break down easy like newer Daytona cabs. Make sure you bring some friends to help you. Bring some straps to tie it down
>>
>>10896730
>>10897472
Yea im getting a truck with a ramp and besides the owner(who sells mainly pinball machines and usually delivers them himself), I will have two others helping me. I rented a van last year to pick up 3 standard cabs and had no issues with them moving in transit, but im guessing the wheels will be a problem on these if i dont remove them with a jack or something. I will have to measure my back entrance into my basement, otherwise i will have to go with my plan of tearing it down at another location and move it in as many small chunks that are easily accessible.
>>
>>10897659
Not that anon, but Daytona USA should have wheels underneath it when you raise the legs. But I once picked up a Sega Rally Twin that was missing the wheels for some strange reason. Huge PIA to move. 1300 pounds in total. I recommend having a couple of furniture dollys like in my picture. It will save a ton of headache if your machine has missing wheels. You can put the machine on it and just roll it to your truck.
>>
>>10894390
Something I've noticed in my town is that there are bylaws that classify arcades in the same category as bars and casinos, barring anyone under 18 from entering. In fact I learned from my dad that in the late 80s he was interested in opening up an arcade business in town but his plans were shot down when he learned he couldn't open one at his chosen location because it was too close to a school.

This is probably why arcades take the barcade route, not just because it's more profitable but because operating a regular, family friendly arcade would be an uphill battle with the city.
>>
>>10898192
>bylaws barring anyone under 18 from entering
I wish we had something like that here.
>>
File: 1693125929789.jpg (301 KB, 1280x720)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>10898192
>Something I've noticed in my town is that there are bylaws that classify arcades
Yep. There are some cities and towns that have banned arcades/barcades/etc. Or they have really unfriendly laws that make it hard to run an arcade business. Such as you aren't allowed to open in arcade unless it's in a designated zone, and the zone very far away from any other businesses or tourist spots. Basically out on the very edge of no where.

Same with malls. Some malls are very receptive to arcades wanting to open up inside. But Some mall owners don't want any arcades and only want to give off a "luxury brand" image. Arcades are considered low brow family fun.

Some malls only give preference to big arcade businesses like Round 1 or Dave & Busters.

Some malls will allow arcades but put them on the outer edge of the mall. Or even not in the mall directly. They will allow the arcade on mall property, but they can only open next door to the mall. Like when you see restaurants open up right next to the mall, hut the restaurant isn't connected to the mall itself.

Galloping Ghost's Arcade owner and several other YouTubers who run arcades talk about this in interviews and mention it. They had to spend a long amount of time finding a city and location that is willing and receptive to malls. Some cities like them. Some absolutely do not want arcades. Some cities want insanely high rent that it's impossible to realistically open an arcade in their location. A lot of factors go into finding a location to open an arcade.
>>
>>10898192
>he was interested in opening up an arcade business in town but his plans were shot down when he learned he couldn't open one at his chosen location because it was too close to a school.
Depends on the town. My city has an arcade just down the street from the high school. Kids go there all the time.
>>
File: 1689986032892.jpg (93 KB, 640x480)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>10893613
Everyone always mentions the Sega R360 but no one ever talks about the competitors to the R360 that other game companies made.
>>
>>10894354
Even FGC has basically moved on from the arcades, apart from Exa-Arcadia trying to convince people to do that again. Capcom does have arcade versions of SF5 and SF6, but both were home titles first (compare Ridge Racer V: Arcade Battle), while Bamco still doesn't seem to have any plan for an arcade release for Tekken 8 (that would end up being similar thing).
>>
File: Asuka 120% EXA.jpg (561 KB, 2048x1536)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>10900112
Oh shit, forgot to put pic related: Exa announcing an arcade version of Asuka 120% (a console-first fighter) in an effort to make arcade FGC relevant again. And of course it will be exclusive to them.
>>
>>10900112
>Even FGC has basically moved on from the arcades,
Not exactly. The problem is the availability of fighting game arcade cabinets these days. Back in the 90s, the FG cabinets were everywhere and arcades would often have multiple cabinets of Street Fighter, Tekken, KoF, Virtua Fighter, etc. Both small and super deluxe cabinets. You could host tournaments with big crowds.

But the last 15 years? Capcom, Bamco, Sega, SNK, etc... barely even release cabinets in the West anymore. And those that do like Capcom...makes their cabinets INSANELY expensive. Sorry Capcom, but arcades are not paying $17,000 dollars for a single 1 player FG cabinet. Stop trying to pull that nonsense. The same cabinet cost $6K back in the day (I found this out from arcade owners I asked).

The old FG cabinets from the 90s have been retired from many arcades with nothing to replace them. You are lucky to even find ANY fighting game cabinet anymore. I was in Las Vegas and their hotel arcade had ONE fighting game cabinet. It was shoved in the back and was an old showcase cabinet running Marvel VS Capcom 2.

The Japanese abandoned the West and our FGC. So we rely on consoles now to run tournaments.
>>
Anyone know how I can modify the Japanese version of HotD2 to have red blood? I know you can switch to the US version that has the option, but I want to play the original version with red blood.
>>
>>10900251
1. Open the coin door

2. Press the Test button and enter Test mode

3. Go to Game Test Mode (7th from top)

4. Go to Game assignments (4th from top)

5. Go to Blood Color - Green or Red (3rd from top)

6. Select color and Exit

Hope that helps.
>>
>>10900290
This option isn't on the Japanese version. It's only on the US one.
>>
File: 1699652619075.jpg (213 KB, 768x820)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>10900112
>Exa-Arcadia trying to convince people to do that again.
>>10900116

Exa has two major things going for it.

1. NO forced revenue sharing, and NO mandatory required internet connection that arcade companies are doing in Japan.

This is killing the market in Japan. Especially small mom and pop arcades that can't afford to pay for all that.

With Exa you own the cabinet and all the hardware. You keep all the money. If you want to order more games, Exa will send you a small physical game cartridge to plug into the cabinet. No internet connection needed.

This means indie shops can open arcades in the boonies or countryside and not have to worry about if their arcade cabinets have business class internet. They can put an Exa everywhere.

2. Arcade games will have exclusive content just for arcade versions, and can't be release anywhere else. If you want to release on Exa, then your game studio must make an exclusive arcade version not available on consoles. Like arcade exclusive characters and stages. You can't release that content to other platforms.

This is very smart. Reckless porting of arcade games to consoles killed in the arcade market in the late 1990s. People just stayed home to play the ports.
>>
I used to dedicate quite a bit of time to those machines. A buddy of mine keeps one in his garage, and now and then, we still head out and have a go at it. I've been focused on finding quality games on https://casinosanalyzer.com/bonuses-by-countries/united-states-usa since it offers a wealth of information about online gaming providers. Accessing detailed info about bonuses, payment methods, and more is incredibly handy. Sometimes, though, I can't help but reminisce about the old games we used to play on those machines - the classics that never seem to lose their charm. There's something special about the simplicity and nostalgia of those vintage games that modern ones can't replicate.
>>
File: 1683806593049.jpg (55 KB, 640x426)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>
File: 1700409811175.jpg (54 KB, 614x818)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Go for a workout then play Metal Slug on Neo Geo
>>
>>10896630
>Ridge Racer Full Scale
If Galloping Ghost did that, THEN I would kneel and call them King of Arcades.
>>
>>10900384
That is kinda interesting that they will produce carts.

That being said, i think their buisness model is flawed. Ports were never a real problem, they were usually downgrades and by the time an arcade perfect ish version was in the home, it was an old title anyway. The appeal of arcades was power and components you didn't have at home. Console and pc was trying to replicate that feel to the best of its ability. While people may hate the Raw Thrills conveyor belt, they are closer to what arcades once met, games with elements you cant reproduce at home easily. People may think a Dave & Busters isnt "true" arcade gaming, but unless arcade manufacturers are releasing stuff powered by pc components that blow away what the majority could hope to replicate, it's the closest to the old days one can get.

As for EXA, it's just locking things to arcades because of a contract. They offer nothing unique hardware wise.
>>
>>10901840
>That being said, i think their buisness model is flawed.

Anon didn't mention this, but another huge factor is eXA arcade cabinets are HALF the cost of other arcade cabinets. They are much more affordable for arcade businesses. Exa is also targeting smaller game studios and indie developers to release on the platform. So it's a good way to break into game development for them. And from what I hear Exa are doing pretty well in Asia and Japan. My one complaint is there are a bit too many shmups. Needs more of other genres.
>>
File: 1687660068734.jpg (519 KB, 2048x1536)
519 KB
519 KB JPG
This cab is amazing
>>
>>10901840
>Ports were never a real problem, they were usually downgrades and by the time an arcade perfect ish version was in the home, it was an old title anyway. The appeal of arcades was power and components you didn't have at home.
Until hardware convergence happened (Dreamcast/NAOMI, for instance, as well Namco System 1x/ZN series with PS1).
>>10901945
Some critics are also noting that eXA is also targeting collectors, especially given ShouTime is running the business.
>>
>>10901110
A lot of those vintage arcade machines are worth serious money now if they are well taken of and function.

So many people trashed those vintage cabinets back when they were new. So not many exist anymore.
>>
>>10902050
Man I felt like such a retard when I went in, walked around the whole arcade for like 20+ minutes looking for that machine, and finally had to ask them only for them to point to it right by the front door.
>>
>>10902310
>Some critics are also noting that eXA is also targeting collectors
Not surprising, and apparently it worked because there are indeed collectors who have been purchasing the setups for home use. Whenever I get a more modern cab I'd probably be interested in owning one, but I imagine that they'll eventually plummet in value on the secondhand market like most modern arcade hardware.
>Dreamcast/Naomi
It's ironic that Sega's disc solution for the Naomi is one of its strong points, in that it reads the entire disc at bootup and saves it in a RAM cartridge (and if the battery is charged, saves it for future boots), while one of the Dreamcast's biggest flaws is that the disc drive is notorious for having read errors, and a subsequent inability to adequately recover from them, leaving people stuck on loading screens partway through a game and having to reset and just hope it doesn't occur the next time.
>>
File: 1686442980328.jpg (148 KB, 768x1024)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
You guys need to get some Big Blue Arcade machines. Make your own personal arcade.
>>
>>10904425
Sega cheaped out on Dreamcast hardware because they were in financial trouble after the failure of Sega Saturn.
>>
>>10904425
>>10902310
So these use actual carts and not a download service? Like NeoGeo/Naomi carts?
>>
>>10904712
Yes. They advertise themselves as a modern Neogeo.
>>
>>10904712
Yes
>>
File: 1702286735353.jpg (140 KB, 1024x768)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>10904712
Modern arcade cabinets in Japan require you to have a business class connection, subscription to the gaming service, must download updates via DLC, the game company gets monitor all money the cabinet takes in, and the game becomes useless and unplayable if disconnected from the service. All the subscriptions and internet are done at the cost of the arcade owner. It's why Arcades are shutting down in Japan except the big arcade. Indie arcades can't afford to pay for all that. Arcades aren't dying. They are being artificially killed by greedy game companies that want to squeeze every last drop of blood money from arcades.

Exa Arcadia is the exact opposite of that. The cabinets are fully offline. You own the cabinet fully when you buy it. No subscription service is required. The game carts can be ordered and mailed to you. And the Exa costs significantly less (like 60% less) than arcade systems from Sega, Namco, Taito, etc.

They are very popular with arcade business owners.
>>
>>10905176
Interesting, kinda sounds pretty appealing then. I still stick by the stance that arcade games are primarily appealing for the experience they offer that you cant get at home, but those online services for modern games always rubbed me the wrong way, so I can greatly appreciate the consumer friendly nature of them. I only got to play on one once that had Gimmick and based on comments I read before, I assumed it was some type of system that used a virtual store that you downloaded the games from directly to the machine. I may even look into purchasing one myself now.
>>
>>10905176
To their credit, I think Namco would eventually issue official offline mode patches for their later Tekken games as they approached end of life, so you could keep running them even without an internet connection.
>>
>>10891976
based
>>
File: 1701783510737.jpg (548 KB, 1930x1080)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
>>10905190
It's sad but...the people who work at Namco these days didnt grow up with arcades. These are the people making major decisions. I heard this personally from a former (he just retired 2 years ago) Namco employee I met at a convention. I asked him how come Namco doesn't make those awesome and wacky fun arcade cabinets like pic related.

He told me that everyone who made those cabinets are either dead or retired. Modern Namco is very different from Namco of the 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s. All the old creative guys who wanted to take risks are gone. It's new young people. Many never grew up with arcades. He also said it's awesome how retro arcades are popular again in America.

What a sad thing to learn.
>>
My only issue with modern arcades near me, is i wish they still offered a pay per play model. There is a cool pay for an hour/all day arcade near me in a mall, but sometimes i dont have the time to play for long, but would love to pop in and play 50 cents worth of Q*Bert or something like the old days. I get it would be hard to seperate the all day buyers, but idk, maybe have a section of machines near the front or right in front of the entrance that are both for all day players and passers by. Could probably be a good demo even for those to decide to pay for the full day pass.
>>
>>10905854
Some freeplay arcades do offer hourly rates.
>>
File deleted.
CRT monitors led to some monstrously huge cabinets that were very eye catching and memorable.
>>
File: 1706613035862.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>10907393
No idea why 4chan added black borders
>>
>>10907401
One of my favorite games, but aside from the spectacle the triple screen actually holds it back; shooting gets awkward if you're all the way to the left because of limited bullet count, the screen on the right is mostly unusable and items that end up there are easily lost. MD version is my favorite
>>
File: dburstex38373.png (2.39 MB, 1235x1404)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>10907401
I prefer the new version that came out in the 2000s but I respect your choice.

Also I must be really weird because I hate playing Darius on freeplay. I actually prefer to play with coins or credits.

Without the thrill of knowing there's a limit of lives and credits, the game becomes less exciting to me.

I'm not pushing myself because I know I have infinite credits with Freeplay.

Am I the only one that has this issue?
>>
>>10905176
nice to know.
>>
File: 1685435907059.gif (73 KB, 445x310)
73 KB
73 KB GIF
Anyone ever play T-Mek? I played it once in Las Vegas. Crazy big cabinet like Darius but it's a sci-fi tank game.
>>
File: 1713497834957.jpg (293 KB, 1077x787)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
This was a cool game.
>>
File: rGmGGns.jpg (716 KB, 932x1367)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
Just aquired this 3/4 size Neo Geo machine for cheap. Problem is its gutted aside from the control panel and LCD screen. Doesn't look like the manufacturer sells the board it came with by itself. Anyone have any experience making diy clone arcade cabs? Looking at maybe putting a pandora box or something and trying to get it to play all neo geo cames.
>>
File: 1699712774750.jpg (146 KB, 800x800)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>10910864
Theoretically you could just put an original Neo Geo MVS board inside it with a 161-in-1 game Cart. Though it would be oddest assortment of "official" Neo Geo parts I've seen lol. But it would work and be legit.
>>
How come CPS2 motherboards are not as plentiful as MVS boards? I came into some possession of some game boards, but the actual main board to run them seems way harder/more expensive to get a hold of then NeoGeo stuff when I always assumed it was basically just as successful and so there should be tons of these out there, more so then even just the games. Unless people were just gutting cabs for the games and not the motherboards.
>>
File: 1691730006649.png (1.74 MB, 760x1174)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>10911013
>How come CPS2 motherboards are not as plentiful as MVS boards?

Because Capcom hated bootleggers. So they designed an arcade board with a built in battery. This was the CPS2.

When the battery dies, the board kills itself. You couldnt replace the battery either because the board would kill itself if it detected the battery was removed. Basically the whole boars was booby trapped.

The battery only lasted 10 to 15 years. So many arcade owners just threw out their CPS2 boards when the battery died. A solution was found in recent years to fix it and resurrect dead CPS2 boards, but by then so many owners had thrown out their old CPS2 boards. So CPS2 are rarer and mroe expensive these days.

SNK didn't care about any of that. They just figured that if they made lots of good games then people would buy the official Neo Geo from them. They were right. Neo Geo is one of the best selling systems of all time. It sold around 1 million units Worldwide. Thats why it's so much more plentiful.
>>
>>10911013
The suicide boards Capcom made basically bricked the boards when the battery died.
>>
>>10911035
>>10911090
I was aware of the suicide battery, but its in the main board? I always assumed it was in the game "cartridge" portion of them. I guess that would explain the scarcity compared to the games then.
>>
File: 1688126261875.jpg (251 KB, 1504x2016)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>10911932
Yep. It's a real shame so many boards were thrown in the trash for years before we finally found a way to get rid of Capcom's booby traps.
>>
>>10911035
>Neo Geo is one of the best selling systems of all time. It sold around 1 million units Worldwide. Thats why it's so much more plentiful.
Is that a lot in arcade terms? Because in console terms that's barely any.
>>
File: 1684430317098.jpg (156 KB, 850x1092)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>10912801
Yes it's alot. Keep in mind that a single brand new arcade cabinet cost around $5000 dollars give or take.

Most other popular arcade cabinets usually sold around 50,000 to 100,000 cabinets for a good run.

So SNK selling over 1 million Neo Geos worldwide is crazy.

The original Neo Geo single handedly funded SNK's entire company for a good 10 years.
>>
>>10912801
Keep in mind that for every 1000 or so houses that might potentially own a video game console, there's maybe one business that has arcade machines. A million is a LOT for an arcade machine.
>>
File: 1702760497993.jpg (2.49 MB, 3024x4032)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>10912852
>>10912801
Neo Geos were in every single arcade I visited in the 1990s. All of them. Even grocery stores and corner markets like 7-Eleven. Even Laundromat arcades had Neo Geos. They were everywhere.
>>
>>10912924
>NO REFUNDS. PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK

Are there really people who ask for refunds from arcade machines?
>>
>>10913235
You usually only see those signs at like laundromats and greyhound stations, where nobody in the building has the authority to open the machine and give you your quarter back.
>>
File: rrdtjrjd1709901764229.jpg (275 KB, 1154x780)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>remember driving arcade game I played when I was 8 years old at local arcade
>forget for 20 years
>try to find arcade
>it closed down.
>try to find name of game
>takes a long long long time
>finally discover it after browsing thousands of photos
>Internet says around 50 were made
>None exist anymore

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu
Whhhhyyyyyyyy?????
>>
>>10913793
I feel like Ridge Racer full scale honestly wouldn't be that hard to re-create. You just need a camera hack, an old dead miata, and a bit of wiring.
>>
>>10913807
RR Full Scale used three System 22 units running three different roms, each connected to it's own projector, but all three talking together. The current MAME dump from ages ago was only of the center unit, and is missing graphics that were either stored in the left or right unit, or created from data from all three units. A lone System 22 unit can't display three viewpoints at once without slowdown.
Until we get a dump of the left and right units, it's impossible to emulate or re-create Ridge Racer Full Scale.
>>
>>10913793
Sorry bro.

If you had asked this question 10 years ago, then there were about 8 ridge racer scales still in arcades.

A few still exist. Some purchased for private collections. Some were thrown in storage.

>>10913807
We probably could recreate it. But part of the charm is using original hardware (or close to it). Finding the arcade boards to run the game would be insanely hard.

This thing was made in 1992. Back then, Ridge Racer Full Scale was the latest and greatest thing ever. It blew peoples' minds and there were lines around the building to play it. Like anon said only like 50 were made and they were spread around the world.

Today it's a little different. Part of the charm of older arcade machines is knowing you are playing piece of history. Arcade companies did not build arcade cabinets to last. Originally, they were referred to as "disposable amusement machines".
In fact, they only had a 2 year warranty. After that, you were on your own. You had to buy spare parts or throw it out. Many arcade owners threw them out. So any surviving cabinet you find today is extra special.

When I bought my Neo Geo, it came from a local Laundromat and owner wanted to get rid of it. He let me have it for $50 if I came and hauled it away myself. Inside had an owners manual and maintenance booklet. My Neo Geo had been in Chuck E Cheese, a 7-Eleven, and a full size arcade before being sold to the Laundromat. The coin counter said about 58,000 plays. That means 58,000 people enjoyed this machine. The maintenance tech wrote funny comments too. Now I hold a piece of history with this cab.

>>10913896
Yeah Mame has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to Namco 3D games. But ridge racer did have pic related. Perhaps we could hack something together? Was Ridge Racer 3 screen ever dumped?
>>
File: 1708866315838.jpg (73 KB, 320x349)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>10913974
The problem is that Namco made shitty arcade boards that were prone to overheating. AND Namco used custom designed chips that no one could duplicate...which means we can't do our own home repairs. AND Namco encrypted the data on all chips so fans can't fully copy them.

Graphics Chip errors and Ram errors were common on these System 22 boards. Especially in in arcade environment where they were run almost 24/7. These boards got hot and broke down.

Luckily Namco used to repair System 22 the boards if anything happened. Just mail your board to them and they will fix it for a fee. But around 2014, Namco announced they won't repair System 22 boards anymore. That means any arcade that has....

Sim Drive (1992)
Ridge Racer (1993)
Ace Driver (1994)
Alpine Racer (1994)
Cyber Commando (1994)
Ridge Racer 2 (1994)
Ace Driver: Victory Lap (1995)
Air Combat 22 (1995)
Cyber Cycles (1995)
Dirt Dash (1995)
Rave Racer (1995)
Time Crisis (1995)
Tokyo Wars (1996)
Alpine Racer 2 (1996)
Alpine Surfer (1996)
Aqua Jet (1996)
Armadillo Racing (1996)
Prop Cycle (1996)

...is shit out of luck! Time Crisis broken? Too bad. Better find another working arcade board somewhere. Every Namco arcade board is a ticking time bomb because there's no way to repair the parts.

If you have a Namco system 22 board, then I recommend you replace the fan with a high quality fan. Hell I recommend adding a 2nd fan to keep the temps down. It Wille extend the life of the board
>>
>>10914214
I wish Namco gave as much of a fuck about these 3D games as they did with the constant Namco Museum releases of the same games over and over.

Where the fuck is my Namco Museum 3D/System 22 collection?
>>
>>10914371
I imagine anyone with the technical understanding of these games is long dead. Even if they did muster up a modern re-release, it'd be like every other shitty half-baked re-release out there, filled with random bugs.
>>
>>10914371
Japanese Companies are notoriously bad at preserving their old hardware and electronics. Not just arcade hardware either. Asian companies are awful when it comes to preserving film. Many Asian films and TV shows made in the 80s and 90s were shot on film. But the companies did not store them properly. Either throwing them out, throwing them in some janitor closest, or tossing them in some damp basement. We will never get HD releases because the original film has been lost, rotted away, or just thrown out.
>>
>>10913974
>Was Ridge Racer 3 screen ever dumped?
They thought it was dumped back in 2009 since the set they bought and dumped was called 3-screen, but recently they dropped the "3 screen" tag for the dump, and re-labeled it as Rev 3 US. So there's a good chance that wasn't actually the 3-screen version.
>>
File: exa-arcadia.jpg (62 KB, 1024x686)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>10904712
they use they little game sticks, similar to an MVS 4 slot
>>
File: Monkeyball arcade.jpg (229 KB, 756x1008)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
I just want to feel the banana.
>>
>>10889124
Everytime I go to the Galloping Ghost (I live nearby haha) I'm disappointed that basically all the games that I'd want to hear the audio of have it lowered, meanwhile I can hear the demo of Total Carnage's enemies dying anywhere in the building. I wanna hear the Third Strike soundtrack at least a little bit.
>>
File: Soul Surfer.jpg (92 KB, 911x899)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>10914615
that's how it always is. my arcade always had cruisn USA and MK on full blast overpowering everything else
>>
>>10914615
Have you tried asking them to raise the volume of the game you want to play? They seem like reasonable people. If you have trouble hearing a game, then you can ask them to raise the volume.
>>
>>10915478
I know nothing about the internals of arcade machines and imagine it would be a hassle
>>
>>10916073
Generally they go behind the machine, unlock a panel, remove it, and access the volume controls.
>>
>>10916073
It varies from cab to cab. Some have buttons to adjust the volume up and down, some have control knobs, some just have a potentiometer on the board you need to adjust.
>>
>>10916102
Most of the time you can adjust it by reaching through the coin door.
>>
What is fun about HOTD4? Is it just the guns clacking around?

The gameplay is awful. Enemies are fucking impossible to kill while they're on the ground, you have to wait for them to stand up, and then they just melt. The bosses offer the only challenge, and most of them just feel like RNG. You've got the stupid gyro shit to "shake off" enemies, I thought TC5 was bad but this game manages to be even more of an insult to its predecessors.
>>
>>10914589
The motherboard housing is nice, but with how much they charge for games which look like glorified USB flashdrives, you'd think they'd at least give them color labels or something.
>>
File: 1712696435517.jpg (150 KB, 720x960)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>10916443
They had to take into consideration newer arcade cabinets - which don't have as much internal space anymore. So the company couldn't make the gameboard and physical games too big. Japanese arcades are literally buying Exa kits, ripping out the internals of modern arcade cabinets, and instead putting Exa kits inside them. So everything must fit in a small space.
>>
>>10916443
Yeah im curious what kind of storage those "sticks" contain. I would hope they just look like usb sticks and are not really.
>>
>>10916564
Standard HASP dongles (Thales Sentinel HL Max).
>>
>>10916407
they pussied out with all the awesome gore that 1, 2, and 3 had. Same deal with Scarlet Dawn, just bland damage sponge zombies that disappear after they fall
>>
>>10917498
I mean sure, there's no gore, but the enemies don't feel even vaguely threatening. They're just target practice. Enemies in the first 3 games could fuck you up. HotD4 feels like Maze of Kings with the enemies standing around waiting to die, but someone forgot to program in their attack animations.

Maybe I'll try maxing out the difficulty or something to try and get some fun out of it.
>>
>>10917594
>I mean sure, there's no gore,
The gore is main fundamental to House of the Dead. The first two games pushed the limits of gore. They were insanely popular with arcades. They were so popular that for 2 years there was a wait list to buy the arcade cabinets. Sega arcade factories could not keep up with demand and ran 24/7. Each arcade could only order one machine and had to wait months. The gore was so controversial that arcades put up a black curtain around machines and put up warning signs about violence. But this only made the machine more popular to kids.
>>
>>10917757
Virtua Cop is just as fun despite being completely clean and rewarding you for non-lethal takedowns. I'd play HotD without gore, I wouldn't play HotD without gameplay, which is what 4 and beyond are.
>>
File: time crisis 2.jpg (24 KB, 474x474)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>10889124
time crisis 2 was my jam me and my best friend used to rock this machine every time we were at the arcades
>>
>>10917764
>Virtua Cop is just as fun despite being completely clean and rewarding you for non-lethal takedowns.
Virtua Cop was solid when it was first released. Then Namco's Time Crisis came out and their "foot pedal" idea completely destroyed Virtua cop in sales.
>>
>>10917498
>Same deal with Scarlet Dawn, just bland damage sponge zombies that disappear after they fall
This is because:
>due to Japan's current arcade law to not allow gore in any arcade games which oddly applies to the International version as well.
>>
File: 1684293130373.jpg (390 KB, 1152x1536)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>10918591
>>due to Japan's current arcade law to not allow gore in any arcade games which oddly applies to the International version as well.
I guarantee you it's because they are too lazy or cheap to make an international version with gore. Even if they knew it would make them lots of money they won't do it. If the Japanese version won't get it, they won't give special treatment to the International version. Sega is very weird and nationalistic like that. Probably a carry over from the old days.

Meanwhile more sensible companies Konami LOVE making stuff like pic related for international markets.
>>
>>10918754
This shit was like 20 years old, you're talking about a completely different era.

Arcades are dead, they only limped along in Japan for a bit longer, so there was no point in even releasing international versions of later titles.

>>10917796
I don't care about sales. Virtua Cop is the better series, the flow is more enjoyable and the damage feels less unfair and reliant on memorization. Time Crisis had the recoil gun, that's it.
>>
File: 1708237542680.jpg (848 KB, 2268x4032)
848 KB
848 KB JPG
Good project cabinet. You don't know what your missing out.
>>
>>10918767
>This shit was like 20 years old, you're talking about a completely different era.
Sega did the same thing back then.
>>
>>10918772
>Sega did the same thing back then.
House of the Dead 2 and 3(?) had settable gore colors for different regions. In Japan it was green, in America it was red.

So no, they were appealing to the international market back then, because it still made money.

As a side note, Silent Scope depresses me. It was made right around the time of home releases, and Konami phoned in every fucking port. The DC? Garbage. The PS2? Garbage. The Xbox? Finally, a gun, but xbox emulation is dogshit so you can't play it on anything modern.
>>
>>10918775
I mean the Silent Scope arcade games weren't light gun games to begin with. The gun you use is analog and just aligned with the screen. Playing it with a mouse is fine I think though not the same experience.
>>
>>10918778
>I mean the Silent Scope arcade games weren't light gun games to begin with.
Sure, but you'd expect a home version to attempt to capture the experience. Obviously shipping out a joystick shaped like a gun with a screen mounted to it would be far too much, but the game plays well on Xbox with a lightgun and a zoom button. Just a shame it took them 3 fucking ports to get there, and it's the port that's the least playable.
>>
>>10918783
I thought it was kind of hard to play on Xbox because of the high brightness you need to turn the game up to.
>>
>>10918794
I mean, you've got shit like Crisis Zone which shrouds the whole screen in fog when you hold down the trigger on PS2, but I know what you mean. It was the only way to get tracking reliable with light guns, so I can forgive it. If you could emulate the game with modern solutions, you could have good tracking without any brightness requirements.

It's still more fun to play with a gun than it is to play with a mouse on DC/PS2. I guess an alternative way to play would be for someone to hack the mouse support in PCSX2 to be absolute rather than relative, but I don't know how jittery that'd make the cursor during zooms. It'd also make Police 9/11 playable, yet another Konami game with a poor port.
>>
>>10918804
Police 9/11 is cool. I got myself one of those webcams and have a light gun for it. Kinda tiring tho
>>
>>10918807
It's cool but I find the webcam kind of janky and I hate the justifier's crappy accuracy. If it had guncon support I might try hacking together another solution for the body tracking, I think you can use a secondary controller's joystick as the input for body movement so you could wire something up.
>>
>>10918804
>I mean, you've got shit like Crisis Zone which shrouds the whole screen in fog when you hold down the trigger on PS2
Fairly certain that wasn't actually necessary and only done because the developer was lazy. It's a really sloppy solution that we haven't seen used in other ports.
>>
>>10918812
>Fairly certain that wasn't actually necessary
It absolutely was if you don't want the screen to be flashing a mile a minute. The problem with lightguns is they can't track on black areas of the screen, because they can't see shit.

I guess they could've done it more smartly like HotD2 did with the flashlight to increase brightness around the aim point, but even that could bug out occasionally.

Machine gun games only really started showing up after the arcades switched to IR and home consoles started moving away from CRTs, the Wii didn't have any light guns so machine gun ports there were fine.
>>
>>10918809
For how crappy webcams were back in the day I found the tracking to be pretty good, you kinda have to tinker with it to get it right though. I just use any third party light gun with a "normal" switch myself.
>>
>>10918813
In Time Crisis 3 Namco actually implemented sniper sections quite smoothly. Basically you aim somewhere, there's a flash and then the game zooms in and only the borders of the screen are bright in the zoomed up scope.
>>
>>10918816
Huh? All the sniper sections in TC3 fog the screen up like Crisis Zone. Are you sure you're not misremembering?
https://youtu.be/H1zJ8wosfz4?t=1520
>>
>>10918823
Oh wait, I'm wrong, that's just an emulation glitch. Yeah, it worked properly on console, but the problem is machine guns need to fire continuously, so you need constant tracking. A sniper rifle can get away with not knowing the position in the center of the screen until you fire.
>>
>>10918824
That's right. Too bad Konami didn't do it that way for Silent Scope.
>>
>>10918828
I think it probably would've required too much of a rewrite of the code. Plus, it kind of doesn't work with the SS system, which is that you can still see the rest of the screen while you're aiming and thus notice other enemies popping up before you zoom back out or change which screen you're focusing on. Plus you kind of still need the crosshairs in the "active" region to aim with.

I think the TC3 method is a good way to implement a sniper rifle, but ultimately it's just golgo 13 but with adjustment instead of being able to use the whole screen for clearly defined scenes.
>>
>>10918778
>>10918783
Is it true that Silent Scope is completely playable with just the gun? I talked to a guy at a con that ships in a freeplay arcade in a tractor trailer and he said the actual display screen is just for others to watch the game and the screen in the rifle is all you need.
>>
>>10919056
I mean, in theory you could play the game with just the gun. Enemies pop up as little warning arrows so you could play just moving to the next target without looking at the actual screen. But to be cool you've got to switch eyes to get an overview of the map and use the scope.
>>
Why is it that arcade fans seem to be so one or the other?

Either they seem to be all-in on switching to emulation and fitting arcade games into a console/pc shaped box
Or they're entirely anti emulator and would prefer that the games die with their hardware

For me emulation is a great way to bridge the gap between trips to my arcade. I have several of my favorites set up so I can keep playing then at home. But I know it's not the same, even without hardware gimmicks, the experience of being there and witnessing the game at work on CRT/With the themed cabinet is part of the game and you lose something without it.

But even though real hardware is better we need emulation still. Most cabinets aren't readily accessible to those who want to play them and the remaining ones will die someday. We need to get a leg up on making emulation playable now so that we have already rebuilt the cabinet experience on the software end once there's no more hardware left and we have to recreate these cabinets from scratch.

Arcadefags need to be more like Bioniclefags. They recognize that Bionicle pieces are a limited, no longer renewing resource, and are actively working to perfect remaking pieces and creating new ones. Arcadefags indecision is going to lead to a mountain of lost media.

Personally I love that the Model 2 and 3 emulators exist, and that Flycast supports several other boards. Its a godsend to play favorites I haven't seen in years and discover new stuff. I hope arcade emulation continues to move away from mame and become decent
>>
>>10919562
Nah, the hardcore arcade guys don't have a problem with emulators. It's mainly just the zoomers who come into these threads to shitpost about emulation that we don't like.
>>
>>10919562
Pretty much everything worth preserving is preserved, the issue is finding someone with enough autism and interest to make that shit work.
>>
>>10919578
Then why are so many of them sitting on machines with no publically available rom?
>>
>>10892593
>Build your own Silent Scope

(You)
>>
File: Sports-Shooting.jpg (198 KB, 600x791)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Been playing this on Redream with Sinden. Nice back to basics approach. Just pure shooting with a focus on accuracy and speed. Clay Challenge is also cool but requires a lot more precision.
>>
>>10919562
Emulation is fine. You just have a few trolls every arcade thread that screech about Mame being the best and anyone playing at arcades are dumb. These posters are poorfags or have social issues. They who never leave their house and demand free stuff.

Instead of just being thankful emulation even exists, they whine about not being able to play mahjong simulator #355542 and the rom not being dumped yet.

Pure greed
>>
>>10912790
What a scuffed setup
>>
File: 1704799547226.jpg (1.54 MB, 2268x4032)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>10918769
>>
>>10919968
Why'd you go for redream over flycast? I think redream might be a little more accurate, but you have to pay to increase the resolution and other retarded shit.
>>
>>10920132
It's integrated with SindenLauncher. Also I got a hack for Redream from somewhere anyway.
>>
File: 1694959601122.jpg (124 KB, 736x552)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
The unfortunate fate of many retro arcade cabinets. Left outside to the elements and rotting away.
>>
>>10920170
They couldn't at least throw a tarp ontop of the machines? It would probably protect them from 90% of the damage.
>>
>>10920170
>tfw business owners are greedy retards so like 1-10% of any given cabinets production numbers are all that's left today
>>
>>10921464
And now there's a big retro arcade boom. So that remaining 10% is in huge demand for retro arcades and gaming collectors. Its honestly amazing that these arcade machines were called "disposable" back in their day.
>>
>>10920170
I would kill to have any of those in my house. And that person just leaves them outside in the rain.
>>
File: 1711428288314.jpg (135 KB, 736x486)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
The island of discarded candy cabs. I feel sorry for all you candy cab lovers.
>>
>>10922956
So does Japan just love destroying their older arcade machines?
>>
>>10919968
I decided to try this and it's pretty fun. I was ready to write off most of Sammy's lightgun games from the 2000s but this was good.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>10914615
I had that experience too. When I was playing Mr. Driller G, you can kind of hear it, but since Frogger is two machines away, you mostly hear its music. Granted, I haven’t been there since late December, so maybe things changed or some machines got rearranged? Plan to go back early next month.
Funnily enough, I learned that a relative of mine has the high score of Rampart at Galloping Ghost. I’m not that good at gaming to get a high score on any game.
>>
Do arcade 1up cabinets count as real arcade cabinets?
>>
>>10924223
No. They are emulation boxes.

Don't get me wrong. They are fun little toys. But they are made of inferior materials and only 60% the size of a real cabinet.

I feel like I would break an arcade 1up cabinet if I jerked the controls too much.
>>
>>10889124
>Galloping Ghost

I miss that place, I used to live close by and it was only a 10 minute walk away.

Last I heard they expanded and now have a pinball hall (and I think a martial arts gym?)
>>
File: 1686174181580.jpg (379 KB, 1200x900)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>10925506
They've expanded their main video arcade several times by buying up the empty buildings next to the original arcade building. Then knocking down the walls, and connecting the buildings together. They started with around 400 arcade cabinets and are up to 980 arcade machines. Including the legendary Sega R360.

They also opened a freeplay pinball arcade called Galloping Ghost pinball. Which has around 75 (?) ish pinball machines. Also very popular too.
>>
>>10922956
Aren't those seized illegal gamblers from China?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.