[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Gta-vice-city-ft.jpg (125 KB, 1200x630)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
This game is fucking shit. It plays like ass, even worse than the previous 3rd game. Half of the mechanics are obscure as shit or are so half-baked they barely even work half the time.
Game also looks ugly as shit (fucking pictures of houses stretched across boxes on the second island, even gta 3 didn't have the audacity to do that) and the story is some ESL ripoff of Scarface and Miami Vice. The only thing that's reedemable about the game is the soundtrack but that is just because Rockstar just licensed a bunch of "BEST HITS OF THE 80s" albums, which is not an achievement.

Was "babby's first openworld game" really that strong to have retards hold this shit in high regard?
>>
>>10911327
Do you bank at the El Banco Corrupto Grande?
>>
https://mega.nz/folder/dHkxEDSB#9aDJ5anLcupsZIZ0rM5AAA
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
AND I CAN'T OPERATE ON, THIS FAILURE
WHEN ALL I WANNA BE IS
COMPLETEY IN COMMANNNNNNNNNDDDD
>>
I like hijacking motorcycles from the front to do that flying ninja kick, it's always really goddamn funny to me.
>>
every /vr/ thread these days is about how videogames suck
>>
>>10911346
Zoomers are a complete cancer on this board.
>>
>>10911346
that's not true. the other threads are "what if sega did this".
>>
Vice City is amazing, wtf are you on
>b-b-b-but I've played better open worlds in the year 2024
okay
>>
>>10911327
>"BEST HITS OF THE 80s" albums, which is not an achievement.

Why wouldn't you pick the greatest hits of the 80s for a game that memes the 80s? Are you that fucking retarded?
>>
File: lqbait.jpg (21 KB, 600x600)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>10911327
Back in my day "bait" used to mean something.
>>
File: Marco sealab.jpg (19 KB, 474x355)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>10911327
Filtered, baby.
>>
>>10911327
>ESL ripoff
What?..
>>
I played all the gta games and liberty city stories was the most shit
>>
>>10911327
are you retarded? whats obscure and what doesnt work? worked fine for me but maybe thats cause im not a retard
>>
>>10911567
I think GTA3 was worse desu, LCS has a better story and missions.
>>
>>10911327
I dunno I liked the rc missions and races, too each their own I guess
>>
>>10911327
Reddit City was never good, it was an inferior to 3 then San Andreas came and completely buried it
nowadays only posers with fake ''80''s nostalgia pretend to like this turd slop
>>
File: 104287527075306.jpg (67 KB, 1075x1210)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>10911567
San Andreas >>> LCS > 3 >>> VC > VCS

no one cares about the shovelware tier 2D games
>>
>>10912035
VCS was way better than LCS, though. It improved Vice City in every way. The Soundtrack was underrated also.
>>
huh people really don't like it? I didn't care much for the music but the short map making the travel distance between and during missions shorter was very appreciated
>>
>>10911327
>Half of the mechanics are obscure as shit or are so half-baked they barely even work half the time.
such as?
>>
>>10911327
shut the fuck up you bitch ass kid, it was never even meant for you
>>
>>10911327
Zoom zoom.
>>
>>10911327
Does anyone remember the old GTAVC flash website that showed all the different weapons and vehicles? I used to browse this website all the time since I never owned the game only 3 and SA
>>
>>10911327
i thought it was pretty cool
>>
>>10911345
Same, if I didn't do it I'd get off the bike and let the npc get back on to try again.

>>10911346
They do suck though, I've wasted my life.

>>10911357
Wrong. There's also "what if sega didn't do this?"
>>
>>10913171
>They do suck though, I've wasted my life.

KWAB
>>
>>10911346
4chan as a whole has become a breeding ground for doomers and political retards trying to push that narrative to recruit young people. It's sad.
>>
I absolutely HATE this game for starting the "80s vice city hotline miami cyberpunk neon purple synthwave" aesthetic
>>
>>10913808
they used to get bullied out of here and jannies actually did their jobs. now there is no filter for the /b/ tier garbage and any 'u mad? ha ha ha!' content is allowed without repercussions. it went to crap because no one cared anymore
>>
>>10911327
>GTA: Vice City is a retro game
God damn I'm fucking old.
>>
>>10913963
It's 20 years old, gramps. It might as well be vintage if you compare to modern releases.
>>
>>10911327
I kinda agree

The dialogue and missions are what saves it, if at all
>>
>>10914060
Modern releases are mostly shit. Even worse than bad games back then lmfao

don't throw a tantrum again zoomie
>>
>>10914075
Hopefully they cut the internet connection to whatever elderly care facility you're in so you never post retarded shit like this again.
>>
>>10911327
>My autism is so big I can't relax and enjoy a classic with wholesome tunes from the 80s
>>
File: huuuh-come-again.gif (1.21 MB, 320x180)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB GIF
>>10911327
Since you already weren't even a fan of the 3rd game, I'm not inclined to take the perspective as seen through your autism-tinted glasses seriously. We get it, you're filtered by games without modern design sensibilities and mechanics because your earliest memory was throwing a Wii remote at a TV.
>>10911445
It would seem like good bait if this zoomer wasn't being completely serious
>>
>>10911327
as per >>10911640, what mechanics are obscure and don't work?
as per >>10914829, if you didn't like GTA3 why did you think VC would impress you?
>>
File: 946878468434.jpg (191 KB, 1024x1024)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>10911327
too much soul for zoomers to handle
>>
>>10911327
Great game. Classic
>>
Vice city is a gay representation of miami and it bothers me that the boring flyovers on this board think its how the city is or used to be because of their cringe tv shows and pop music their dads liked
Scarface game is a way better video game miami
>>
File: 1708266372370014.jpg (51 KB, 640x480)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>10911346
Because it drives engagement, go to any mostly positive thread and it's gonna get maybe 30 replies after a week. Meanwhile any slightly negative thing about some popular game is gonna get 200 replies in half the time.
Basically being negative is easy (You)'s, it's always been this way but even moreso today. There's a time and place to be negative but at the rate we are headed this entire website is going to devolve into negativity until everyone is sick of it and leaves. Then the new generation will come in and fuck it up all over again.
Be the change you want to see, make some positive threads, ignore the negative and troll threads, hell report them if you would like. Just don't fall into the faggot trap of assuming there's nothing you can do and that it's all shit.
>>
>>10915113
Nah. Discussing the negative aspects of beloved games and how they can be improved is far far more interesting. Everyone knows what the good retro games are and why they're good. I want to know why they're bad
>>
>>10912035
I seriously wish we got a 3D GTA of some kind for 5th gen and I wonder what it would have been like.
I dont care if I sound like a zoomer. Those 2D games fucking blow
>>
>>10911327
3 was really all that? It always felt like a 2D game with repetitive missions. It's open, but (non-retro) GTA IV and even other non-retro open world games by Rockstar are more open and better designed. I don't get the hype of 3 also LCS story is better
>>
File: IMG_2460.jpg (454 KB, 750x742)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>10915117
Like I said there's a time and place for negativity as you said, the issue isn't discussing issues or flaws but rather the blatant "beloved thing bad". There was a thread just a few days ago that just said "it's not good" with a photo of earthbound that stayed up for days. There's been more and more of this over the last couple of years.

On the flipside I sure as shit don't want another retro games hugbox of retards who do nothing but circlejerk over the same 5 games like nintendo fans. I just think people need to balance out the bad with some good. It's healthy for the forum, the mind, and the soul.
>>
>>10915217
I know what you're talking about but it annoys me you're doing such a bad job of expressing yourself by putting it all under the umbrella of "negativity' whatever the FUCK that means to you
>>
>>10915217
>Im sick of negativity
>takes a shot at anyone who likes any nintendo game for no reason
ok
>>
>>10911327
>Was "babby's first openworld game" really that strong to have retards hold this shit in high regard?
pretty much. gta3 was an incredible game and a cultural phenomenon that moved vidya away from something only kids/nerds did to the mainstream. normies are npcs without discerning taste, so even though vice city was worse than gta3 in every way besides motorcycles, it didnt matter because the normans with scarface posters in their bedroom had their official video game.
>>
>>10911327
gta is shit. only retards or spoiled little bratty shits like gta
that said, I grew up with this, back then on my pc
and this one is different. it's kino
it's old school 80s scarface. it's good old school american pop culture, the actual good one
>>
>>10915264
>gta3 was an incredible game and a cultural phenomenon that moved vidya away from something only kids/nerds did to the mainstream
uh...anon...that's not supposed to be a good thing
>>
>>10915113
Arguments bump the thread while some decent discussion sprouts up around the retards fighting. I agree with you it gets tiring and I find myself staying off this site for weeks at time these days.
>>
>>10913963
>>10914060
Set 16 years before the year it was released on, released 22 years ago.
Vice City is literally more retro today than the 80s setting was when it was released.
>>
>>10915231
You have a point, I am mostly attempting to summarize blatant trolling, a sort of extreme anger to random things, and a very hostile attitude to each other in a single idea. For instance if someone is incorrect about something and they get corrected on it it will most of the time devolve into a bitch fit of people calling each other names until the thread dies. It isn't productive and people have been doing it for decades at this point, but again it seems like it's happening far more in recent years than it used to.
I hope that sort of helps get a better picture of what I'm getting at.
>>10915243
It's just light bantz nigga
>>
>>10915264
The fact it had a minimap (instead of having to rely on the physical map that came with the game) was an advantage that completely changed everything. GTA3 may have been good, but it grew on you slower than VC.
>>
>>10911327

Some missions are hard as hell or annoying as hell.
Besides of that, the game is good.
>>
>>10911327
we mostly played it on free roam messing with the cheat codes. there are some really crazy cheat codes that can make it funny to just fuck around and explore, same with san andreas. had it on ps2 and it was a big deal because there weren't many games with an open world like that at the time. worth checking out the cheat codes though
>>
File: 7ko9ihc18rw91.gif (2.37 MB, 540x451)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB GIF
>>
File: 7OJn.gif (3.98 MB, 445x250)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
>>
File: Yoink.webm (3.76 MB, 1024x768)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB WEBM
>>10911345
>>
>>10911971
nothing happens in LCS and some of the missions are directly lifted form 3
>>
File: mission status.png (448 KB, 972x924)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
>>10916410
While that's not the ninja kick, that was fucking rad as hell.
>>
File: 5hfv131z6r.gif (3 MB, 500x500)
3 MB
3 MB GIF
>>
the silent protagonist and barebones story of gta3 worked so much better for this style of game.
>dude scarface
so fucking cringe
>>
File: FlashbackFMLogo.png (326 KB, 852x861)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>10917371
>so fucking cringe
Based anon bashing those dipshits who were clinging onto a 20 year old movie, while he clings onto a 20 year old game.
>>
>>10917380
i havent played either of these games for 20 years fag
>>
For those who have played it, how did the actual Scarface video game compare to the PS2 GTA trilogy?
>>
>>10918667
VC is pretty empty and didn't age well compared to Scarface game and the Scarface game has quite a few unique mechanics with how the money, drug dealing and the heat from gangs/cops work. In Scarface you usually don't steal cars, you buy them and have them brought to you by a driver, and you have a lot of stuff you can (and are expected to) buy with your money unlike some GTA games where you can only really buy weapons and ammo.

If you compare SA and Scarface, then they are two totally different games, the only overlap is basically that both have turf wars. In SA when you complete the story missions, the whole game completion is around 50% for most people, but in Scarface it's 80-90% so you have not many side activities. You can roam Miami freely from the start but there isn't really anything to do in the map unless you unlock story missions there. Not saying every game with open map should have tons of side quests, just saying it's mostly just the main missions in Scarface.
>>
Also VC and Scarface both have you buy businesses/fronts with your money and they are pretty much tied in that. In Scarface the story is mostly about securing the businesses (and going after your rivals), in VC I don't think you have to buy businesses until the end or else you can't access the final mission?
>>
>>10918863
To be fair, most of the side content in SA sucks. No one holds up SA as a gaming accomplishment because you can do taxi missions, slowly drive a boat to various bridges so you can dive for oysters, take driving lessons once you've completed a game centered on car theft, look for a particular model of SUV so you can jack it and drive it to a garage in another city for some irrelevant cash, etc. Most of that side content might as well not exist unless you're comparing the games as a 12 year old that's going to be restricted to one game all summer.
>>
>>10915109
Scarface game is kino. Better than most GTAs.
>>
>>10919636
True, if you only "50% complete" SA, you will not miss much if anything.
>>
>>10911346
You're forgetting all the threads about how Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made and anyone who disagrees is a stinky poo poo head.
>>
>>10918863
>>10918870
>>10919636
Thanks anons.
>>
>>10911327
lol fuck off cunt. Legendary game right there
>>
>>10911327
I agree. Never understood the appeal and obsession people had with it. The physics may have been 'more realistic' but they weren't fun. The pink theme was gay. The story was uninteresting. I tried really hard to like it and I just don't.
>>
GTA3 contrarian fanboying comes from zoomers who are nostalgically attracted to the Y2K 'vibe' because Vice City is set too far in the past for them to relate to. In other words, GTA3's setting has the same appeal to 20-somethings today that Vice City's setting did to 20-somethings in 2002.
>>
>>10915160
GTA 3 was originally developed as a Dreamcast game. The early cartoony graphics from the alpha screenshots were probably from that era.
>>
>>10916373
He’ll be fine
>>
>>10920639
as a zoomer I hate VC because I'm fucking fed up with the 80s hotline miami vice city neon purple synthwave blare runner cyberpunk aesthetic and I just want it to fucking die. III was much cozier and had a unique colorful magical 90s NYC atmosphere (along with Parasite Eve) that isn't replicated and overused everywhere.

it's also not Y2K. GTA II takes place in October 2001 and Y2K ended in September 2001.
>>
File: 1712012264866778.jpg (81 KB, 1024x768)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>10920909
I don't understand your zoomer perception of the aesthetics. VC doesn't have synthwave or cyberpunk content. It's more like playing Atari 2600 in the morning, and then meeting your friends for beers on the beach and watching a chick with enormous fake tits get out of a sports car. I mostly recall 3 being full of fog, rain; lots of relatively dark cool-tone colors like grey, blue, green. I would in no way consider it "colorful" or "magical". You make it sound like New York as per Mario 64.
>>
>>10920909
>I just want it to fucking die
That sentiment will only make it stronger criticism of consumerist culture is the point
>>
>>10921014
>. I mostly recall 3 being full of fog, rain; lots of relatively dark cool-tone colors like grey, blue, green. I would in no way consider it "colorful" or "magical"
to me that is part of what makes it magical and unique to me. it's very hard to explain because it's more on how I feel. but GTA III's cold fall-winter colors and atmosphere and lack of sun and mostly cloudy/rainy weather...idk...just really makes it very soulful and full of life. I feel the same way with how Parasite Eve portrays NYC. both just have that wonderful magical 90s NYC "charm".

it's sad that IV takes place the same time of year as III but isn't ass dull or rainy. even with the shitty bloom and screen filters turned off it's still very sunny and...idk...too brown I guess.
>>
>>10921014
>VC doesn't have synthwave or cyberpunk content
yeah bu tit kickstarted that aesthetic movement and Hotline Miami added fuel to the flame
>>
>>10920909
I realize we are talking about the original GTA trilogy, but IV is also a time capsule from basically 2005-2006 NY. It says it's set in 2008 or so, but it's obviously before iPhone era and they only added some economic depression lines to characters in the dlcs.

Btw, the Scarface game mentioned early came in 2006 and it had things like managing your business from the phone and a circular wanted level system before GTA IV.
>>
>>10915109
>t. haitian
>>
File: 1593463993056.jpg (116 KB, 898x1125)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
If you didn't immediately know what was wrong with VC 5 minutes after turning it on then it can't be explained to you. Just enjoy your norman life having sex and playing terrible video games
>>
>>10911327
All gta games are boring after dicking around for like 30min-1hour
>>
>>10921768
>first gta 3d game that introduced bikes
>it's extremely easy to fall from the bikes
>most of the map is streets surrounded by water
>you die if you get into the water
Literally every single person who played it knew exactly what was wrong with VC in the first five minutes of gameplay, and your autistic fear of neon lights wasn't it.
>>
>>10922405
t. normie
they even catered to you more with san andreas, allowing you miles and miles of empty countryside and pointless water to swim in, which im sure you did with a big smile on your face as you drooled all over yourself thinking it was "gameplay"
>>
File: simrefineryfound.png (25 KB, 640x480)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>10912818
that's kinda cool. where i get me that.
>>
>>10923096
https://web.archive.org/web/20021004052145/https://www.rockstargames.com/vicecity/
>>
>>10922405
>you die if you get into the water
Why are you acting like this was new for the GTA franchise?
>>
>>10920909
>80s hotline miami vice city neon purple synthwave blare runner cyberpunk aesthetic
There's like three neon signs at Ocean Beach and Malibu club. The most advanced tech is a remote controlled RC plane. 50+ year old mainstream musical instruments aren't cyber or punk. Most of what you said are not applicable epithets. You're a stupid troll and didn't even play the game. The ace of GTA is the story, secondly the radio, then the pedestrian and driver quotes. The adjectives american, insane and stereotypical fit here. It's simply pop culture and cliches.
>>
>>10923590
Water killing you in III is mostly irrelevant when most of the time you aren't close to the water. Water killing you in Vice City is absolutely retarded when you're almost always surrounded by water AND the biggest new feature of the game was that you could ride bikes that make even easier to end up in the water.
Pointing this out isn't remotely close to pretending that deadly water was something new.
>>
>game is set in the world 80s
>radio plays 80s music
>this is a design flaw according to op
>>
Another Vice City thread created by this autistic samefag so he can us it as a proxy to cry about 2016 "synthwave" bullshit. This guy's tantrums are like a weekly occurrence now.
>>
>>10923765
If you are constantly ending up in the water in Vice City then you are a shit player.
>>
>>10919636
>No one holds up SA as a gaming accomplishment because you can do taxi missions, slowly drive a boat to various bridges so you can dive for oysters, take driving lessons once you've completed a game centered on car theft, look for a particular model of SUV so you can jack it and drive it to a garage in another city for some irrelevant cash
I do I even did the semi trucking missions
>>
I really liked the side content in VC I liked how you can use any car for the street races. The hotring and bloodring stadium events, running from cops because they caught you selling ice cream, rc dirt track at the beach, dirtbike track at the second big island.
>>
>>10911327
it's a game designed for 13 year olds who wanna experience 'mature content' in the early 00s

they didn't expect 30 year old men to try and enjoy it 25 years later.
>>
>>10911327
Right, that's why you play the superior VC, silly zoom zoom.
>>
>>10911327
Upvoted. Beyond MUH 80S and great talk radio it's a downgrade, has pain in the ass missions, the business grind sucks major peen, and I still haven't finished it.
>>
im not a fan of the 80s aesthetic but thats not why the game sucked. it felt like the animations had like half the frames gta3 did. the jank was just dialed up to 11. cop ai was much less fun to fuck around with. yeah vice city had more content, but the core gameplay felt like a downgrade. i stood in line for the midnight release of this and the next day at high school of course everyone was gushing about it. whatever. 4 was the last gta i played and i still think 3 is the best one by far. san andreas was even worse than vice city.
>>
>>10916373
AURORA BOREALIS COMES IN VIEW
AURORA COMES IN VIIEEEEEEEW
AND I RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
>>
this is op and i am trans btw
>>
>>10911362
>b-b-b-but I've played better open worlds in the year 2024
literally name just one, I'll wait
>>
>>10911567
I liked LCS more than VCS, but both were fun.
>>
>>10915097
>tanks on the water and boats on the sand
AI is going to take my job.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.