[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: zelda2.jpg (267 KB, 1200x853)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
I'm curious why this game spawned dozens of clones and imitators, when the first game did not. Don't get me wrong. I think it's one of the best games of its time. By why did 1 get very little?
>>
>>10914031
>I'm curious why this game spawned dozens of clones and imitators

Like what exactly? There's barely anything like it.
>>
I was tempted to say because Zelda 1 was already following from Duraga/Hydlide/Dragon Slayer/Ys/etc so other games that are similar that came out post-Zelda (Faria, Crystalis, etc) don't feel as obviously derived from Zelda 1 as they are from those games, but I'm not even sure that's true for as much as Zelda 2 took from Xanadu.
>>
It's much harder to make a meaningful open world quest, just look at all the terrible romhacks for the game. Heck, Nintendo themselves didn't attempt it again until 30 years later.

But also, neither of Zelda 1 or 2 were revolutionary games by any means. They were just snappier versions of what you'd find in droves on the PC88 (or the Apple II even) and that's where most Ultima clones and Hydelikes remained.
>>
>>10914031
Lay off the crack pipe, OP.
>Golden Axe Warrior
>Neutopia
>StarTropics
All blatant Zelda 1 clones and that's just off the top of my head.

>>10914095
>But also, neither of Zelda 1 or 2 were revolutionary games by any means.
Zelda 1 was in the sense that it was a console game with arcade-tier gameplay (or better) that was also an ongoing adventure that let you save your progress. Of course it owes something to Ultima and Hydlide, but the games listed above clearly imitated Zelda, not Hydlide or Ultima.
> that's where most Ultima clones and Hydelikes remained.
And therefore were not influential. Home computer games weren't really threatening to arcades. They had their own reasonably successful niche but that was it. Consoles were the arcade in your living room, Zelda demonstrating you could have your cake and eat it too was indeed revolutionary for that reason.
>inb4 but Hydlide itself was released on NES
Yeah, as a port of a primitive computer game from 1984 that did not include battery-backed saves.
>>
>>10914063
This. What Zelda 2 clones is he talking about?
>>
>>10914506
Probably meant strict 2D action RPG like Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, Sword Master, Frankenstein, Bio-Warrior Dan, Rambo, Debius,Chester Field, Villgust, Wizards and Warriors, Ninja Turtles, Castlevania, Metroidvanias, Oris (more close to metroidvania)
If you include shooting - then there's also Clash at Demonhead, Metroid and Gargoyle's Quest/2. Probably a bunch of others too.

>>10914031
(for OP as well)
That being said, there were similar games as Z1 though-out the the years on various systems.
Similar titles might be Golden Axe Warrior, Light Crusader, Land Stalker, Neutopia 1/2, Arkistas Ring, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Deadly Towers (no one said you have to like them), Faria, Hydlide, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor 2, Crusader of Centy, Star Tropics, Alundra, Mystical Ninja, Spike McFang, Brain Lord, Crystalis, Pit Pot, Golvellius, God of Thunder, Hyper Light Drifer, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Legend (GB game), Oceanhorn, in a way Stardew Valley, Blossom Tales, Ittle Dew, Arcus Oddysey, Moonlighter, Recettear, Moon Hunter, Evoland, Knightin+, Lennas Inception, Stories of Bethem, Reverie, DawnThorn.

If you include shooters there's like Ganpuru Gunman's Proof, Shadowrun for Genesis sort of, Festers Quest, Binding of Isaac sort of, Shining Wisdom

Sword of Vermilion sort of fits into either as more of an RPG with with sort of an isometric battle view.

There's others that might sort of take inspiration like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the DS/GC.

None of these are by any means exhaustive. There's a lot of similar overhead action adventure games or RPGs that share action play styles.
>>
>>10914631
Well Metroid and Castlevania 1 predate Zelda 2 and Simon's Quest was being developed at the same time as it only came out a few months later. The mention of Metroid is interesting though as I've long maintained Metroid and Zelda are almost the same in most parts of their game design except for a sci-fi instead of fantasy theme and side scrolling action versus top down.
>>
>>10914031
>I'm curious why this game spawned dozens of clones and imitators
Such as?
>when the first game did not
I'd go as far as to say "imitators" expanded to be somewhat unrecognizable as a copy. I'd argue games like Diablo stem from Zelda to a degree. Not necessarily Zelda, but very similar in that you go around whacking shit and going into dungeons.
>>
>>10914031
Are there literally dozens? Name them.
I can only think of Rambo II and that Greek Game whatever it is.
>>
As others have said, Zelda 2 didn't invent 2D action RPGs. I'm not sure what the first one was, earliest I know of is Dragon Buster but there might be something that predates even that. There was probably at least some inspiration and design cues taken from it by later games in the genre, but there wasn't really a need to rip off Zelda 2 to get a decent selling 2D action RPG out.

>>10915649
Battle of Olympus, probably the only one I would say tries to directly ape Zelda 2.
>>
>>10914707
>Well Metroid and Castlevania 1 predate Zelda 2 and Simon's Quest
While I did know that - I was more just listing "clones", I'd argue the Zelda 2 and Simons Quake were inspired by Metroid and CV1's designs in reverse ways. CV took up Metroid style and Zelda took inspiration from CV. So Konami and Nintendo were kinda riffing off eachother and that's was good. That's how good things are created - people take old ideas and reshape them with different concepts that work. Which is why sometimes it's shit when certain ideas are sort of entangled in IP and copyright enough that companies will drag your ass out and harass you with suits even with legality of mechanical concepts.
>>
>>10914631
>Ninja Turtles
>Castlevania
Ahhhhh noooo..
No no no no no....
>>
>>10914631
>Probably meant
I think it's more likely OP had no idea what he meant and is either trolling or stupid.
>>
>>10915801
I mean using the term clone probably means he's ignorant - as there are typically genres that these things fit in. Which is why I can list as many even if they aren't like 95% the same or whatever.
And it's fine if they're ignorant.
That being said - trolling and stupid is just what /vr/ or 4chan does in general. 95% of the board full of fucking idiocy... so what does that matter? You're effectively just saying, OP has posted, and so did we.
>>
>>10916630
And to make my point just how fucking stupid /vr/ is, I literally saw someone who said numbers and counting isn't real and they meant it.
>>
That genre DID become super popular after Zelda II.
That doesn't mean every game in the genre has to have all the same mechanics as Zelda II; only that Zelda II made sidescrolling action adventure games (sometimes with RPG elements) really popular.

and while Metroid also had a hand in this, I don't think people realize how little Japan cared for Metroid
>>
>>10916694
Side scrolling action rpgs didn't become super popular until after SotN though.
>>
>>10914417
>Ultima
>not influential
>>
>>10914031
It's the opposite.
>>
>>10914031
Zelda 1 and 2's appeal was purely down to them being snappier. Nothing more to it.
>>
>>10916993
This.
>>
>>10916958
I didn't say that.
Are you a literal retard?
>>
>>10914095
>Hydelikes
Don't matter, never matter.
Hydoodoo is Dragon Slayer for turdmonkeys.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.