[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240318232853_1.jpg (386 KB, 1920x1080)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
Is DOS2 an improvement over DOS1? Why does the dialogue make me feel like I'm on Gaia Online? Do summons trivialize the game as bad as they did in the original? Let's find out.
>>
>>3425851
>Is DOS2 an improvement over DOS1?
I liked the armor system over RNG status effects and the tone is more serious and less goofy
>Why does the dialogue make me feel like I'm on Gaia Online?
Dialogue is pretty bad
>Do summons trivialize the game as bad as they did in the original?
Dunno, summons in games are nigger tier and I refuse to use them
>>
>>3425888
>I liked the armor system over RNG status effects
I don't think any respectable person would prefer deterministic systems over rng.
>>
>>3425893
>I don't think any respectable person would prefer deterministic systems over rng.
I disagree, I think that it adds tactical depth, which interfaces well with the various builds and party compositions available to the player. You're given a wide variety of tools and can choose to use them however you wish, or not. I found this fun. The less RNG the better, IMO. Leave that to a tabletop RPG mediated by a human DM, not a computer.
>>
i forgot i got it on my steam account, gonna install it right now. i simply dont have any RPG to play, beside Fallout Olympus maybe, which is kinda bad
>>
>>3425904
>I disagree, I think that it adds tactical depth
Its the opposite of tactical depth because the battle is resolved the second it begins.
>>
>>3425935
>a puzzle is solved the second you know how to solve it
>>
>>3425851
I played all of DOS1 it was okay. Had to drop DOS2 pretty much immediately due to the offensively bad writing
>>
>>3425935
>rng is depth
jesus christ this board
>>
>>3425851
>>3426019
I played DOS2 and all I can remember about it was nice graphics. Writing was absolutely generic western trope fantasy, very low energy too.
>>
>>3426018
>>3426030
Why samefag? If the combat is deterministic I know how the battle is going to go the second it starts. It's not dynamic, it is SOLVED. Which means any battle over 0 seconds long is time wasted. All good combat simulations use RNG, this is not unique to RPGs.
>>
>>3426030
Efficient rng mitigation is true test of skill, strictly deterministic gameplay is orders of magnitude less complex, a game worthy of simpletons.
>>
>>3426092
That's fine, so make enemies and enemy AI better, more compex and unpredictable by using rng
>>
>>3426135
that takes skill and effort, small indie studio, please understand
>>
>>3426135
Why would AI be unpredictable if battles are not mechanically dynamic?
>>
>>3425935
It would be a puzzle if there were only one way to beat a battle (e.g. SCS for BG2 where they add a million interlocking magical immunities which must be removed in a precise order, which I personally find boring and uninteresting) but that is not the case here. There’s many different builds and party compositions which mean you’ll be approaching the same battle with a completely different set of tools and thus will find a completely different solution to the “puzzle”. I don’t think you actually know what deterministic actually means and you’re just repeating buzzwords. As another anon said, equating randomness with depth? Really?
>every battle is exactly the same since you just have to reduce the enemy to 0 hp and thus it is reduced to a problem previously solved, Q.E.D.
>>
It's weird how DOS1 was memorable and felt like an adventure while DOS2 ended up shitting itself and being forgettable. I guess Larian was too ambitious for their own good.
>>
It's better in aesthetic, worse in everything else
>>3426135
>so make enemies and enemy AI better
You can't do so in a purely deterministic and extremely simple system like D:OS2.
Fundamentally, the game is about breaking armor and then shutting down, to this you add the absurd focus on alphastriking, which is only really available to the player thankfully, but can still be kinda seen in act 3-4 if you purposedly let enemies do their thing and refuse to play the game.
When you look at how abilities and stats are designed there's no way to make the game dynamic or unpredictable, which is exactly why Honour mode gives you the option to have enemies get completely RANDOM permanent buffs, precisely because even those idiots at Larian realized the game is fundamentally static and deterministic by design and can't be made unpredictable (let alone complex), so what do they do? They put back a smidgeon of RNG, in the worst possible way, to add some semblance of depth and strategy.

At its core RPGs are largely about risk mitigation, D:OS1 was KINDA like that, it stops being like that pretty fast because the game isn't balanced at all, but at least the fundamentals are there at a design level, in D:OS2 you have none of that, which is why most skills in the game are the same exact thing copypasted over and over with a different colour, most status effects are the same exact thing and stats are there purely to multiply damage exponentially.

What complexity or unpredictability can you have in a game where every single character and skill is fundamentally built to do the same exact two things, AKA depleting bar stocks and shutting down things so you can deplete their bar stocks some more? Even positioning is an afterthought and largely busywork, as per CRPG tradition, it's not even fun to get OP coming from the first game because they nerfed AP gain and implemented a super deterministic round robin system so there's even less unpredictability by design.
>>
>>3426156
>fundamentally built to do the same exact two things, AKA depleting bar stocks and shutting down things so you can deplete their bar stocks some more?
Based prohibition agent shutting down the Gnomish alcohol merchants
>>
>>3426140
DOS wasn't made by a small indie studio

>>3426156
>>3426141
I don't disagree, all I am saying is that with modern hardware and some creative thinking they could have improved the existing system or came up with new combat system with a much better AI (way less deterministic). It is not unreasonable to expect that from a modern triple A game today (was dos2 triple A? Maybe at least double A)
>>
>>3426237
>DOS wasn't made by a small indie studio
That's the joke. Are you autistic?
>>
>>3426240
Larian is not a small studio. 5 million euro budget is not a small amount for a top down isometric rpg
>>
this board is terminally contrarian
>>
File: 1678157077625630.webm (1.76 MB, 1280x720)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB WEBM
>>3426252
We love bg3 here, though.
>>
>>3426254
Yeah we love trannyism here
>>
>>3426237
>all I am saying is that with modern hardware and some creative thinking they could have improved the existing system
They can't, not without completely removing most of the core layers and reworking it from the ground up.
You can't improve D:OS2 system without:
>Removing armor mechanics
>Removing Diablo loot
>Reworking the stat system entirely
>Redesigning every single skill and stat in the game
>Redesigning the puddle gimmick entirely
The only things that kinda work well out of the box are the magic/skill categories and the core movement mechanics, it's too much work to salvage a fundamentally unsound system, you're better off just creating something new altogether, which is why they went to create BG3, which keeps most of the stuff I just mentioned but also completely gets rid of most of the trash I greentexted.
D:OS2 is a dead end as a system, you can't improve it without redesigning the whole thing, it's a bad branching of D:OS1's system, which as much as it did suffer from many issues didn't deserve to be gutted in such a way.

Really, just go back to D:OS1, keep and polish that stat system, unfuck the crafting to be less about big numbers but with the same freedom and extent in possibilities, rework skills to be less copypasted, rework status effects entirely and take a leaf out of some other games' book if you wanna make a game that is focused on action/order economy, there's plenty of games that nail it and don't fumble in a sea of worthless gimmicks like DOOM barrels or gay puddles.
Either that or just embrace becoming Bioware's successor and stick to making dating sims, that's already working plenty well for them.
>>
>>3426320
If it can't be improved then just remove and create a new better combat system
>>
>>3426391
Best I can do is DnD 5th ed
>>
>>3426392
Thanks swen
>>
>>3426320
>Removing Diablo loot
This is the only serious problem with OS2. The other things are either not issues or the issues with them aren't inherent to them. Armor doesn't have to block every status effect under the sun, and in fact that's one of the things the best mod for OS2 does.
>>
>>3426392
Why do you have to use table top rpg rules for a computer game?
>>
File: 20240319224924_1.jpg (666 KB, 1920x1080)
666 KB
666 KB JPG
Wow, I just completed 3 quests at once by just randomly walking around.
>>
>>3426471
because where else would you get the rules for fun combat than in rulebooks famously known for engineering encounters that are complete slogs and who's entire saving grace is the ability to ignore them entirely when a better idea comes about ?
>>
>>3426690
I know you're salty about getting your dunning kruger exposed but I definitely would not recommend doubling down on the combat thing.
>>
>>3426458
>This is the only serious problem with OS2
The random loot system really is terrible. When I played, I refused to use any of it, I had every character using plain white items (buy a new set every level up) until eventually I found a fluffy and thematic unique for most slots, upgrading them to match my level.
>>
File: b70-397365128.png (333 KB, 579x458)
333 KB
333 KB PNG
>>3426692
the sad thing is you really think you're arguing with one person
>>
File: 1709084034623833.jpg (120 KB, 736x704)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Which class is most interesting for first timer?
I started with assasin but i dont mind starting again with something that more entertaining
>>
>>3426758
If you already started you should already know DOS games don't have true classes and are not entertaining.
>>
>>3425851
I have to give it a good rating because you can play undead, I only enjoy races and classes that work outside the standard rules of their game.
Such as healing hurts, poison heals, etc
These days it feels like games don't have undeads or necros anymore
>>
>>3425851
>Do summons trivialize the game

Back when i played this there was a feat/skill/whatever that compensated solo players with ridiculous gains. One was considered to be solo playing even as a part of a two character party. If both had this skill and both used summons the game was ridiculously easy.

I expect this´s bee re balanced by now.
>>
>>3426156
This post really upset someone.
>>
File: 20240320210114_1.jpg (626 KB, 1920x1080)
626 KB
626 KB JPG
Well I smashed some crates and then one of the companions promptly warned me of an ambush, if the splattered corpses on the ground weren't enough of a tell, then I was "ambushed" by frogs, whom I then killed by spamming totems amidst a vomit of particle fields and utilizing the most instanely broken stuns I have ever seen. Afterwards, I walked back to camp and was thanked for saving children from frogs, which I can only assume is a broken quest line or something. This is tactician by the way. This fight has brought me to level 3.
>>
>>3427710
>utilizing the most instanely broken stuns I have ever seen
Yeah this is kinda what happens when you have deterministic CC, repeatable chain CC at level 1, what were they thinking? Who thinks this is good combat?
>>
>>3425904
tactical depth in question: stack 1 damage type.

holy fuck genius game design. thank you larian.
>>
>>3426078
based kek, they legit have 0 reply to the argument because they don’t actually grasp the concept you are arguing against, they are just braindead zoomers that like DOS2, repeated talking points they’ve seen upvoted on leddit. >>3426149 notice how this retard projects his imbecilic reasoning onto your argument “you only heard it from somewhere else!” meanwhile that is exactly what he is doing.

simple fact of the matter is that anyone who played DOS1 and DOS2 both to completion clearly sees which game is superior.
>>
>>3426320
>>3426156
holy shit LMAO. larianfaggots btfo severely by this post
>>
>>3427836
>simple fact of the matter is that anyone who played DOS1 and DOS2 both to completion clearly sees which game is superior.
Yeah, bg3.
>>
>>3425935
>>3426078
>>3427836
Post your lichess ELO
>>
>>3425904
Dice rolls have never been a good mechanic for static, railroaded videogames. A DM can take a failed roll and send you on a different path. All a game can do is say "you fucking idiot, this isn't the way you're supposed to experience my story! have a difficult boss fight, I hope you die you piece of shit".
>>
>>3428067
I don't completely disagree on this, but it's also not exactly right.
I agree that having rolls for skill checks related to quest narrative is largely pointless in vidya because as you said, they're fundamentally static, there's no GM out there ready to come up with some shit to contextualize your failed roll and turn it into something that is not just a fail state where you miss out content that should have rightfully been yours.

On the other hand, you can also consider this a failure in terms of simple quest design rather than blaming the dice roll in itself, the truth of the matter is that quests in general are still designed around hard fail states with only a handful of success options you're bottlenecked in, you could easily fix this by making it so your fail state simply redirects you to another branch of the questline that goes in a completely different direction rather than being simply the inferior choice.
To make an example with a recent game, in PF:WOTR (which is very guilty of the aforementioned issue) you can negotiate with Horgus about getting paid a certain amount of gold for an early game questline, this is a simple yes/no switch where if you fail the skill check you simply don't get extra money, which means one option is clearly the correct one and the other is the wrong one, what they could have done in case the player fails to pass the check is adding some extras to the quest itself, like more enemies so that while you do lose on gold you get more EXP, or have Horgus be impressed by the player's shrewdness and willingness to contend with him and have him gift the player something like a +1 item at the end of the quest, as it is the game simply forces the player to be at the mercy of the RNG for getting an objectively correct choice against an objectively wrong one.
You're still dealing with a fundamentally static game world, but at least the player isn't punished for something out of their control, and the game itself feels more fair.
>>
File: 1678453941289185.png (1.22 MB, 1049x1079)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>3428154
>I agree that having rolls for skill checks related to quest narrative is largely pointless in vidya because as you said, they're fundamentally static
I would argue that DOS2's flat skill check system is largely bad compared to the probability one in BG3. The simplest way to contextualize this is opening chests. It's more interesting to bet resources against unlocking a chest than somehow preemptively knowing the exact complexity of a lock and being able to pick it flawlessly. By extension, dialogue interactions are just to charisma characters what a chest is to a thief, it's only that dialogue has been blown way out of proportion as to what it really is, mechanically. While a strength of tabletop is that a DM can dynamically adjust events versus pre-scripted outcomes, which is generally better, this doesn't mean DnD is bad and people only like it because of this. A ruleset is a tool to design a campaign. The tools are all there and they work. Deviations from this are merely flourishes and personal artistic flair.
>>
>>3428154
You made me think of Age of Decadence. It does have a lot of moments where you can try a skill check, fail and then it opens up an opportunity to use another skill to try to succeed it.
I'm pretty sure it does skill thresholds rather than dicerolls, but it's good in that if you don't meet the requirement, it's not always a straight fail. It leads to another event where you can use a different skill, or even retry with the same skill at a lower threshold after convincing someone, stealing something, or doing a dirty murder.
>>
>>3428174
Something I did not enjoy about colony ship versus AoD is that skill application was incredibly static. You go in to a room and there is a opportunity to apply X skill to Y items, so you just walk around the map finding all the opportunities to apply X skill and accrue as much exp and resources as possible to leverage into other situations, which isn't very fun at all.
>>
>>3428159
>dialogue interactions are just to charisma characters what a chest is to a thief, it's only that dialogue has been blown way out of proportion as to what it really is, mechanically
RPGs from the gen 6/7 era created this weird mass of normalfags that kind of think rpgs are just CYOA games, and they aren't, but no one knows what to do with these people now because it's a stagnant branch of the genre.
>>
>>3428186
>RPGs
>console generations
Oh no no no no no
>>
>>3428190
Yeah, that's the implication unfortunately. Look at the constant threads for fallout, elder scrolls, new vegas, mass effect, etc. that kind of just limp along for months on end. Guess where those people are coming from.
>>
>>3428159
>I would argue that DOS2's flat skill check system is largely bad compared to the probability one in BG3.
I wouldn't. Bounded accuracy is retarded and gives PCs that shouldn't even be touching something a chance of success and specialized PCs chances of failure when they shouldn't have one. Then there's the natural 1 and 20 rules.
>>
>>3428554
>I wouldn't. Bounded accuracy is retarded and gives PCs that shouldn't even be touching something a chance of success and specialized PCs chances of failure when they shouldn't have one. Then there's the natural 1 and 20 rules.
And on top of this, other homebrews like changing passive perception to be a roll instead of a take 10.
BG3 is cargo cult dice fetishism and its sheer volume of rolls made me realize that the d20 system is fundamentally flawed, and random checks, if necessary at all (imo they're appropriate for tabletop with a DM, not cRPGs with static content), should sum multiple rolls to produce a Gaussian distribution.
>>
>>3428554
>PCs that shouldn't even be touching something
Doesn't exist in 5e, never should have existed, and some guy with 30AC shouldn't be able wade through a 10,000 man army unharmed
>>
>>3428578
>Doesn't exist in 5e
A mistake.
>never should have existed
Literally exists in real life.
>and some guy with 30AC shouldn't be able wade through a 10,000 man army unharmed
They've never been able to.
>>
>>3428626
>Literally exists in real life.
https://youtu.be/ao11xwciDyI?si=R0ah9veoBO3AoDiz&t=90
Nothing is immune to the humble infantryman.
>>
>>3425851
Yes
Never heard of Gaia Online, is it some social gathering for retards?
Who gives a fuck?
>>
Looks like it's time for another janny meltdown.
>>
>>3428651
>implying that has sweet fuck all to do with anything
A 70 IQ retard who's never touched a book in their life is not solving a high school level physics problem.
>>
>>3428659
Yeah, hes losing it.
>>
>>3428661
You said it exists in real life and it doesn't.
>>
>>3428668
I literally just gave you an example.
>>
File: 20240321195533_1.jpg (654 KB, 1920x1080)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
Another fight done well above the party's weight level, this time just pulling everyone into a tiny doorway and blinding them. I have no idea whats happening right now.
>>
God this game is so shit. It's insane how shit it is.
>>
>>3428800
You have shit taste. The game is excellent.
>>
File: 20240321201334_1.jpg (654 KB, 1920x1080)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
>>3428812
NTA but thats not the impression im getting. Its amazing BG3 came from this honestly. These games are nothing alike.
>>
>>3428819
Yeah BG3 is better but that doesnt mean much considering DOS2 is an excellent RPG as well.
Yeah the writing is not the best its not deep or unique, but the gameplay, music, world design, characters are all solid.
I played it two times and had a lot of fun with it, game was highly praised because of its rich interactive mechanics, and while the plot is generic and the ending is poorly written, the narration is funny and good.

It has less choices than BG3, less side quest quality, worse characters and somewhat lesser dense gameplay, but when you factor that BG3 is a natural evolution to it with a better setting to boot then it makes sense.

DOS series is great, DOS1 revived this dying genre, DOS2 solidified its revival and BG3 crowned it.
>>
>>3428845
>because of its rich interactive mechanics
Where are they lol
>>
>>3428852
Ah if you are going to play dumb then i will pass, sorry not interested in shitpost™ contests
Have fun with whatever you are playing though.
>>
>>3428857
Fields are an enclosed system. Where are the "rich interactive mechanics"?
>>
Remember that retard that used to shit up every bg3 thread and cry its not as good as dos2 constantly? kek
>>
Imagine intentionally playing a bad game that you think is shit and don’t enjoy, which is far dumber than a retard who plays a bad game but thinks it’s fun and likes it. Imagine doing this and documenting yourself playing a bad game that you think is shit and don’t enjoy and arguing with strangers on the internet about this game, while thinking that you’re smart. Holy shit.
>>
>>3428910
You seem upset.
>>
>>3428910
Why are you crying like a bitch? At least someone is playing a game. More than we can say for you.
>>
>>3428845
>Forgotten Realms
>Better setting than anything
>>
>>3429022
Yeah, what of it, punk?
>>
>>3429015
If you were old enough to post here, you would know that in the past, we played good games that we liked and thought were fun.
>>
>>3425888
>I liked the armor system
That's the one thing I hated about the game. Enemies constantly refreshing armor just got annoying and dragged on fights.
>>
File: 20240322011422_1.jpg (899 KB, 1920x1080)
899 KB
899 KB JPG
Lets just throw 20 maggots into this random encounter (although technically not entirely random, this is another announced "ambush") and have them all path down this trail of fire. This is really activating my almonds right now.
>>3429088
>we played good games
Well go right ahead, any day now.
>>
>>3429088
>we played good games
No, everyone just tribalistically fights over catalog space to push some game they played over a decade ago. Imagine how much better this place would be if it was more than 3 people actually playing games. Really like how the MMO shilling ramped up as soon as dragons dogma flopped, you people are so predictable.
>>
>>3425851
This is the only respectable way to criticize a game.
>>
File: 20240322202940_1.jpg (322 KB, 1920x1080)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
We have deadfire at home.

Got through the clone guy by teleporting my melee dudes at the boss like human missiles, which deals physical damage, which just wore down his shield even quicker and then its stunlock time. Feels like this system fucked up the whole game.
>>
>>3429272
>everyone
this being 4-5 dedicated autists and/or bots
>>
>>3430238
>deadfire at home
Deadfire came out like a year after dos2
>>
File: 20240128171355_1.jpg (416 KB, 1920x1080)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>3430276
And?
>>
>>3430282
>we have X at home
implies an inferior imitation, it doesn’t work if you’re describing the original that came out before the thing you’re implying is superior
>>
>>3430334
No
>>
>>3430359
>Mom: We have memes at home
>Memes at home:
>>
>>3430370
Better luck next time, anon.
>>
>>3430378
With what?
>>
>>3430389
With your ebin gotcha
>>
>>3430394
I don't know what you mean.
>>
>>3430395
Go play an actual rpg.
>>
>>3430397
You aren't making any sense.
>>
>>3430398
Go play an rpg right now. Not an open world action adventure or survival crafting "game," an actual rpg. Go play one right now or leave this board.
>>
>>3430400
I'm playing Underrail right now. Not really enjoying it much, too tactically repetitive.
>>
>>3430404
>I'm playing Underrail right now
Not an rpg, it's a spelunking with grenades simulator where builds revolve around hyper specific shallow stat thresholds and all combat encounters are resolved in 2 ways. Environmental interactions boils down to pick pocketing and randomized vendor loot. Old School Runescape has more depth than underrail, it's for retarded bethesda kids.
>>
>>3430409
>Old School Runescape
Wow based, I love that game too. I'm glad you're a fellow appreciator
>>
>>3430409
>Not an RPG
Yeah, I figured you'd say that. You are also tactically repetitive. You should look out for that, causes Alzheimer's.
>>
>>3430411
>>3430397
>>
>>3430412
Do you want headpats for playing a serbian crave crawling simulator for sub 65 IQ twitch kids?
>>
>>3430415
No. Do you actually enjoy repeating yourself constantly?
>>
>>3430416
Do you have anything insightful to say or are you just another lonely faggot?
>>
>>3430420
No.
>>
File: 20240323105331_1.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
Outside now and the game is starting to open up a bit more. The map design is a bit lacking and there isn't much to interact with. This wouldn't be a problem if there was some strong level design, but really the only way to get at hidden items/locations is teleporting, which I am beginning to notice is restriced by a bunch of arbitrary invisble walls everywhere, and the maps are filled with pretty samey encounters. The main draw is a massive network of interconnected maps and working out how to exploit their resources to get through fights in the correct order, but as I've said the combat isn't particularly impressive thus far and I already feel like I'm outpacing it. I can increase my Incarnate's damage by 50% with 2 infusions now, which also gives him a knockdown making him a pretty strong pocket fighter, as well as stack infinitely regenerating armor and health on myself, and I've taken glass cannon to enable this full set up which in turn makes everything focus me, so its just getting all my stuff up the first turn then having the rest of the party beat the opposition to death unimpeded. Since so many abilities are frontloaded into minimal skill investment there's really no way to expand my options from here so progression has become entirely vertical stacking of % damage/mitigation.

In the picture I am using my newly acquired face ripper, which allows me to... rip the faces off of my victims and fashion them into a disguise. I can, for example, use this to gain the unique racial of an elf, which is to eat human flesh and absorb the final memories of the victim, which can occasionally impart a unique skill they knew. Larian uses this to enable their "kill anything" style of game design. Where you might find a note on a dead body in other games, here you devour a severed limb and read their thoughts. Its a very compelling idea, but the applications are limited. It does not help that theres generic diablo loot instead of unique racial loot like bg3.
>>
>>3430979
>Its a very compelling idea, but the applications are limited.
I remember when DOS2 came out this was sold as some killer toolset. If they hadn't improved on it in BG3 I would be shitting hard on them for it to this day. Way too many devs load their games up with poorly fleshed out ideas that just come acrossed as advertising snake oil.
>>
>>3431054
It sort of pisses me off that it took this long for a dev to retry Arcanum's old "kill an uncooperative dude and interrogate their ghost" system of quest bypassing. Not even particularly expanding on it, just attempting to implement it again.
>>
>>3431280
To be fair, arcanum is one of the worst crpgs ever made precisely because of its overly ambitious feature creep resulting in a 10 mile wide puddle of nothing. Maybe if Troika had built themselves up over 3 games slowly like Larian instead of chasing wildly different design avenues on every project they'd still be around. Larian got lucky and learned this with early disasters when the stakes were low.
>>
>>3431472
vincke is just a better businessman all around and he learned how to get funding. troika was a bunch of limpwrists playing at running a company.
>>
File: 20240323204825_1.jpg (719 KB, 1920x1080)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
Into chapter 2 and source collars removed. Wrapping up some things left over on the island and exploring a bit. Got thievery to 2 on a character and stole skill books, now I am unstoppable.
>>
File: 20240324120725_1.jpg (509 KB, 1920x1080)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
Beat up the slut witch. It's interesting that there's all these random setpiece encounters scattered around, but it seems kind of dumb that most of them are quite literally randomly thrown in there with no rhyme or reason. Like here's a random dragon, go slap around this half naked whore in a cave 10 feet away. Don't worry, theres two vent traps on the floor where you have to throw a barrel over them along the way so it feels like a real dungeon.

I mean, the bones of something better is here, the game really opens up outside the fort, (so far) theres some good design philosophies here, but it feels incomplete.
>>
>>3432203
There's a reason for nearly everything you find in Fort Joy (outside of the last two DLC quests which are kinda there), whether it's mechanical or narrative.
Radeka for instance is both, mechanics wise it's a preview of what you're going to fight later on (but in bigger numbers) when it comes the other Black Ring encounters, narrative wise it serves as an introduction of the Black Ring and their role in the setting of Rivellon.
Most of what you find in Fort Joy is narratively tied to either the main plot or Bracchus, problem is that while the former has only the bits and pieces of the main quest, which are not elaborated upon until later, the latter only really works if you played the previous game and know who Bracchus actually is.

Overall the entire game is like this, at first all of stuff you find seems fairly self contained, especially if you haven't played the other Divinity games so you really do not realize the lore relevance of literal whos like Slane, but as you play more and more of those small scenarios end up coming together as a bigger picture, especially if you played other Divinity games.
Truth is most of those simply aren't interesting to begin with, and if you come from the previous games there's a fair amount of retconning and weird twists/lore bits that don't really make a lot of sense, Act 3 is probably the worst part when it comes to that.
>>
>>3425851
Better than garbage like Yakuza like a slog and Persona 5
>>
>>3425851
Looks like this thread upset some people.
>>
>>3432549
Samefagging is extremely gauche.
>>
>>3432549
It's just one autistic retard that made a bait thread with a strawman to easily knock down. Welcome to /vrpg/ where no one actually plays games.
>>
>>3432661
>/vrpg/ where no one actually plays games
If only this were true.
>>
>>3432674
I'm sure you wish it was
>>
>>3432661
>It's just one autistic retard that made a bait thread with a strawman to easily knock down.
you’re responding to OP, who is responding to himself. Lol
>>
>>3432701
So you agree it isn't?
>>
>>3432704
No, I am OP.
>>
>>3432707
>No, I am OP.
No. I am OP!
>>
File: 20240324211247_1.jpg (681 KB, 1920x1080)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
Heh, just as planned.
>>
>if I samefag constantly in every thread while complaining that everyone else is samefagging, they’ll never know it’s me
You’ve been exposed.
>>
>>3432867
Are you OP?
>>
>>3432225
>There's a reason for nearly everything you find in Fort Joy (outside of the last two DLC quests which are kinda there), whether it's mechanical or narrative.
I hope so, because part of why I disliked DOS1 was the complete tonal shift in design after the first area, but my primary complaint is that the whole lead up to the Radeka fight was literally just 3 gas traps that you drag barrels over. If the game can consistently build on this level of nonlinear design and dungeon puzzles, then I'd consider it palettable.
>>
>>3432995
DOS2 suffers from the same issues content-wise that the first game did, although whether or not it is better or worse in this regard is up to you.
>>
>>3432995
>If the game can consistently build on this level of nonlinear design and dungeon puzzles
It won't, dungeon and quest design doesn't evolve past Fort Joy, at best you have a select couple of dungeons with a bit more puzzles than usual, like the Academy in Act 3, but honestly Act 1 does pretty much show you how the entire game's gonna be, and as per Larian rule Act 3 and 4 are rushed dogshit as well.
Also D:OS1 is more nonlinear than D:OS2, ironically enough it also has more enemy variety and somehow more unique bosses as well.
>>
>>3433838
>Also D:OS1 is more nonlinear than D:OS2, ironically enough it also has more enemy variety and somehow more unique bosses as well.
The snow area was when I started getting super pissed at how repetitive it was.
>>
>>3425919
>i got it on my steam account
Why would you actually pay for this garbage?
>>3426067
The soundtrack was good too. It's just everything else from the writing, pozzed NPCs and dialogue, gear, RNG and gameplay that sucks ass.
>>
>>3425851
No. In fact, all Larian games are a downgrade of Divine Divinity and nowhere close to that game.
>>
>>3430238
>let's just copy torment no one will notice
>>
File: snail.png (458 KB, 687x687)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
>>3434797
Divine Divinity is a huge piece of shit and I say this as someone who played it on release. This is just such an insane and delusional statement you're not fit to hold opinions.
>>
File: 20240327234747_1.jpg (803 KB, 1920x1080)
803 KB
803 KB JPG
Onto the next chapter. A lot of crazy shit happens all at once here, including taking peyote then learning how to detect and speak with ghosts who still have unfinished business in the mortal realm then departing on a quest to track down evil sourcerors (all the good ones are dead) to learn spirtual karate from them or whatever. This is better put together than DOS1 so far, the game completely fell apart by this point and just became a gauntlet of bad combat encounters.
>>
>>3435915
The good news: act 2 is the best act
The bad news: act 2 is the best act
>>
>>3434857
He is probably just trying to be contrarian, these people dont play games they just claim niche game is le best so they can validate their takes.
>>3435915
What builds/party setup are you using?
if my memory is working well i think you can do 2 specialties in each character + some bonuses.
Like in my party i had Lohse being the Ice-Water/ Air-Thunder mage, but at the same time while i maxed those two i still had points by the end game so i took Polymorph skills as well.
>>
>>3435973
Not a bad setup

I used this:
Aero/Hydro/Polymorph
Huntsman/Scoundrel
Geomancer/Necromancer (full) - Warfare (as much as possible)
Warfare/Pyro/Summoner
As you said there is no restrictions, i wanted to have as many skills as possible in one single playthrough.

If you are playing the definitive edition, you should be able to acquire a bonus armor set with wings, using that with a ranger is extremely good because you earn a fly skill and ranger with fly is one of the strongest damage dealers in the game.
>>
>>3434857
divine divinity is one of the better diablo clones and a technically competent game. saying it is a huge piece of shit is going too far.
>>
>>3436267
>weird retards that are too dumb to play anything remotely complicated and have a low functioning autistic desire to see numbers go up
Why do you talk about yourself in the third person all the time like this
>>
>>3436267
yeah, divine divinity circumvents that and is enjoyable for people who don't like straight diablo clones, such as myself, with the inclusion of traditional crpg features. your criticism is hyperbolic and erratic, indicating simple contrarianism and not reasoning, so you sound like the guy you were responding to, who claimed it was the best larian game.
>>
>>3436267
>The entire appeal of diablo is the multiplayer aspect
Playing a game with Blizztards is not appealing.
>>
>>3436273
>yeah, divine divinity circumvents that and is enjoyable for people who don't like straight diablo clones
It doesn't though. Its Ultima 7's interactivity hamfisted into a diablo game, but the game starts shitting itself after the first area and falls apart entirely in the last area, and because its a diablo game it undermines all the features Ultima's systems are built to interact with. Like it doesn't matter that I can rearrange loot in crates or whatever when the game is mostly walking around killing shit for exp.
>>
File: 1710368506315285.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>3436277
What part of it is appealing? Because people only praise the "atmosphere" of diablo and I fail to see how selling music and artwork in a package of an otherwise shit game with no redeeming mechanical qualities is commendable.
>>
>>3436277
>Playing a game with Blizztards is not appealing.
In 1997 there was no such thing as "Blizztards", merely people who sometimes played Blizzard games.
>>
>>3436281
>an otherwise shit game with no redeeming mechanical qualities
If it was so shit, why did it inspire an entire eponymous sub-genre of clones, and receive a wildly successful and popular sequel?
>>
>>3436283
Warcraft and its sequel had been out for years by then, but, sure "proto-Blizztards".
>>
>>3436278
no, exploration, quests, puzzles, npc interaction. it's a different feel than diablo, closer to a regular crpg. not a piece of shit by any means.
>>
>>3436293
>Warcraft and its sequel had been out for years by then
True, but so had shit like Blackthorne that no one remembers. Point is, in the 90s they were just a company that made some games, there wasn't like a "closed Blizzard ecosystem". Battle.net didn't even exist until Diablo came out. The phenomenon of your so-called "Blizztards" didn't exist until after WoW came out.
>>
>>3436267
>The entire appeal of diablo is the multiplayer aspect
No.
>>
>>3436285
>If it was so shit, why did it inspire an entire eponymous sub-genre of clones
The only successful clones are the multiplayer ones.
>>
File: torchlight 1.jpg (21 KB, 256x352)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>3436298
Wrong.
>>
>>3436296
I remember Blackthorne. Overrated game.
>>
>>3436296
This is chicken and egg shit. The type of person to want to play Blizzard games like D2 in multiplayer was a prototypical Blizztard. No one sane thinks that it's appealing to play with them.
>>
>>3436301
The sequel was the successful game, selling 3x as much as the original, and guess what, it has online.
>>
>>3436309
>The type of person to want to play Blizzard games like D2 in multiplayer was a prototypical Blizztard. No one sane thinks that it's appealing to play with them.
You are projecting your modern tribalism a quarter century into the past. Diablo 1 and 2 both sold millions of copies, which was nuts for a PC game in the 90s. Many of these millions of people also played plenty of other RPGs that you consider good games. It's fine if you dislike them and think they're bad games, but your line of argumentation is bizarre. In the 90s, people played all kinds of games from different genres and different developers, most people did not have this type of petty hyper-niche mentality which you are ascribing to them.
>>
>>3436339
Fanboys have existed since time immemorial, anon. People haven't changed, the type of person who is a type of person remains that type of person regardless of labels and extenuating circumstances. Besides, I'm fucking around, I never even played WoW and don't have any care about Blizzard or its fanboys.
>>
>>3436301
Oh, shit, there's a 1? I gotta get this.
>>
>>3436373
>Oh, shit, there's a 1? I gotta get this.
Once, at an old job, I saw a guy with a vault boy shirt, and told him that I liked the first two games. He replied "Me too, I loved 3 and New Vegas!"
>>
>>3436379
>What an organic and believable post.
I interpreted it as a joke, anon.
>>
File: 20240328192523_1.jpg (554 KB, 1920x1080)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
Some of that non-linear quest progression where you can stumble into quests midway if you're inquisitive enough popping up now, which I like. For example observing a loose floorboard in the inn kitchen and distracting the cook to pry it loose and looting a magister ring, then putting two and two together and pickpocketing the cook to find a note revealing shes been butchering dead magisters. Stuff like that is always fun.
>>
File: 1686468466222244.png (1.88 MB, 1000x1414)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
I dislike how the dwarven women look like thumbs instead of shortstacks while the lizard women look like sex bombs.
>>
>>3425851
I really want to try this game but everything about this game feels like it was made by fat gay dudes who wear fantasy themed buttplugs.
>>
>>3425904
Just admit that rng is too hard for you to deal with and you're one of those bioware incels who plays games strictly for romance options.
>>
>>3437417
>everything about this game feels like it was made by fat gay dudes who wear fantasy themed buttplugs
Whats wrong with that
>>
>>3436325
There wouldn't be a Torchlight 2 if 1 wasn't successful.
>>
>>3437463
The reception for torchlight 1 was generally mediocre and it was heavily criticized for its shallow world and quest design.
>>
>>3437953
>World and quest design
>in a Diablo 1 clone
lol, game journos are retards. tl1 was well received.
>>
>>3436325
>selling 3x as much as the original
tl1 sold 2 mil, tl2 3 mil. people did complain about no multiplayer.
>>
>>3437955
>game journos are retards
It has a 7.7 userscore on metacritic
>>
File: wow-fucking-nothing.gif (2.44 MB, 250x250)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB GIF
>>3437961
>>
>>3437966
>only journalists complained about it
>here's evidence consumer reception was actually less generous than journalists
>ummmmmmm doesn't fit into my personal head canon of reality so doesn't count
>>
>>3437976
no, i assumed it was journalist criticism by the vapidity of its content. but, yes, metacritic doesn't count as barely anyone leaves reviews there. 91% on steam. besides, 7.7 is pretty good, or are you an actual game journo, where only 8 and above means a good game? no one cares about what you believe anyway, you outright lied about sales numbers and are trying to justify your "head canon" about multiplayer being essential for diablo clones. by all means, keep arguing, everyone here knows you are incapable of gracefully admitting fault.
>>
>>3437953
No it wasn't. It was seen as a good indie Diablo clone and a good first step for a series.
>>
>>3437984
>91% on steam
90-100 is 1-10 on steam.
>>
>>3438131
Retarded.
>>
Just got to the graveyard area on my first playthrough.
Nothing much to say about it, really...this vulture armor seems OP.
>>
>>3438419
the gift bag armors seem that way
wish there was an actually followable guide for the leafy thorned armor, the one of fextra is all kinds of fucked, and when I tried to use explode spores on the body at the oil pits in act 2, I exploded and died instantly
>>
>>3438454
I thought the gift bag was a literal cheat mode so I did not use it.
>>
>>3438485
there are multiple gift bags and in reality they function like verified workshop mods
the armor giftbags from what i understand are on by default with the definitive edition and you cant get rid of them?
>>
>>3436750
What was the name of the tavern in your pic again?
>>
>>3438646
You know exactly what its called lul
>>
>>3438652
I don't, what is it?
>>
File: Yne9wHgUhRsmg46AH9h8qD.jpg (901 KB, 1536x960)
901 KB
901 KB JPG
>>3438656
The Black Bull
>>
File: rd.jpg (59 KB, 850x400)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>3438666
Oh, Mr. Vincke, you shameless cuck.
>>
pyromancer is fun, especially with these broken landmines
>throw landmine at NPC
>teleport another NPC onto landmine
>explodes both
>adrenaline
>ignition
>combustion
>still have fireball, searing daggers, and like 3 other spells ready to nuke the rest
>>
>>3436750
You can feed the chef's stew to your elf to get some insight as well.
>>
>>3425851
Yes.
Because you've let this website fry your brain.
Unless you use mods, summons suffer from a steep decline. Very powerful in the first third, dead weight useless after that.
>>
>>3440611
>Very powerful in the first third, dead weight useless after that.
Started a lonewolf playthrough with a friend we've never tried it before and thought tactician would balance it out who decided to go summoner, and he was solo'ing all of fort joy once he got summoning to 10, so I guess it's nice to know he would've fallen off at some point. Dude dropped off the face of the planet after the first day of playing, so it's not like I was ever going to finally be useful in a fight anyway.
>>
>>3440611
>summons suffer from a steep decline
You can just stack summoning gear for insane scaling. The incarnate is retarded because not only can it melt physical and magic armor interchangably, but can also knockdown, disarm, and do whatever status you please. And then summoner gets dumb shit like charm and soul link, I'm just running around on a poison puddle generating hundreds of heals and magic armor for free.
>>
>>3440611

It's not terrible, just worse compared to everything else because it deals the least damage per action point (AP). The pros of summoning don't really make up for its downsides. If you play solo with the lone wolf perk, it might seem better since you get more AP, but actually, it's even worse because your summons don't get the buff.

What really bugs me (apart from those endless infusion spell animations) is how most of the summons' magic attacks are basically physical attacks in disguise. They can be dodged and their damage gets reduced by resistances. It's like the worst kind of attack since you can't make sure the enemy won't dodge and you don't get any bonuses to hit them more easily.
>>
Isn't summoner Fane the most busted build outside of meme metagame builds like unstable or barrelmancer?
>>
>>3440631
No, pretty much any synergy whatsoever is retardedly broken.
>>
>>3440633
elaborate on this synergy
>>
Imagine playing an RPG and not even having your characters kill shit, but summoning gelatinous cubes or whatever and watching them kill shit for you while you jerk off in the corner. Literal cuck shit. Playing using summons is absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>3440631
No. Summoner isn't bad, but the endgame DPS is worse than basically any other real build. You can finish the game with it, but it's like playing Mario and refusing to grab a mushroom, it's an intentional gimp.
>>
>>3440639
If two abilities interact with one another then they will almost certainly let you just rape your way through the game.
>>
>>3440639
Rain on people then shoot lightning at them.
>>
>>3440662
>elemental affinity
>rain
>skin graft
>shit out a whole hot bar full of broken shit for reduced cost then immediately reset everything
>>
>>3440665
isnt hydro like, the weakest school of magic
>>
>>3440728
It is good for utility and support. It doesn’t have the highest damage but it has healing, restoring and boosting magical armor, and good crowd control
>>
>>3440631
No, summoners have always been bottom tier past Act 1 where you can abuse a maxed out summon.
The strongest options in the game that aren't memeshit like barrelmancer or flagrant abuse of shit mechanics like Flaming Crescendo stacking are:
>Poly user with Terrain Transmutation and a pocket Lava/Deathfog field
>Max Pyro/Necro/Warfare with all the teleports and Adrenaline+Skin Graft for infinite Corpse Explosion loops
>Max Warfare/Scoundrel with point blank Arrow Spray to one shot any enemy in the game with pure ungabunga DPS
>Torturer geomancer with max Geo/Necro/Warfare and poly/scoundrel dips for Worm Tremor AoE lockdown
>>3440728
It is, pure defensive support is worthless in a game that is 99% alphastriking
Pyro=Poly>Aero>Necro>>>Geo>Summon>>>Hydro
As per martial skills
Scoundrel>Warfare>>>Huntsman
>>
i like to watch the grey nunsei walkthroughs since he does all sorts of meta autism unfortunately he seems to have trooned out
>>
>>3425888
>rng status effects
there is no rng.
make wet -> freeze
warm up -> burn
lower will -> charm

you shitters are just too retarded and try to freeze ice elementals
>>
>>3440728
Naw. Pyro does the most magical damage and Necro does the most physical. The rest of them blend enough utility into their spells that they reduce the overall damage, but they are definitely not weaker because of this. In my experience, a good way to approach mages is to either pure spec in Pyro or be a generalist and use something like Huntsman to increase your damage so you can use each spell school equally effective. Use Necro to give your mages some way to do physical damage.
>>
>>3442796
>there is no rng.
When someone says "rng status effects", you don't think of things like, say, the probability of the battering ram skill setting knockdown is 0.8 - (bodybuilding * 0.15)? No? First thing that comes to mind is "try to freeze ice elementals"? Perhaps it is you who is the shitter, anon.
>>
>>3443755
You just wrote the equation and in the next step you can calculate if you have a 100% chance or take the risk. and if you take the risk and it fails do you have a backup plan. this shit ls strategy and exiting, not hammer armor and then hammer phys cc.
>>
>>3443811
>there is no rng
>actually, there is rng, and here's why that's a good thing (tm)
>>
>>3426078
Chess is deterministic. Is that solved?
>>
>>3443999
While I likely agree with you, that’s not the best example, as at very high levels it is approaching solved, there’s little room for creativity and it’s generally rote memorization of large banks of maneuvers and counter-maneuvers for a specific board setup. That’s why people cheat with remote controlled buttplugs to be told by a computer / a person using a computer what the “optimal” play is at any point.

But chess only has a fixed composition of specific pieces in every game, an RPG where you have the ability to change your party composition wildly and use a wide variety of different abilities there are far more permutations of possibilities. An identical battle will play out completely differently using two different parties, even if the same “moves” are made.
>>
>>3443999
unironically yes, that's why high level players have buttplugs feeding them moves
>>
Phenomenally fun when playing with a friend, beat it like three times.
>>
>>3444436
if only my friends would play it
>>
File: 20240405195934_1.jpg (737 KB, 1920x1080)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
Mostly just wandering about reaper's coast for a few minutes every day, as the game has fallen flat again and gotten boring just like DOS1 did. I don't even have anything to post about. I am sort of slowly progressing through it but I have so many other better things to play. BG3 really is the first remotely complete game Larian has ever made.
>>
>>3444620
>bg3
i hope you didn't actually pay for that pozzed garbage
>>
>>3425851
For everything dos2 does better than dos1 it does something else worse. They are equal, though I find dos1 to be a more fun game.
Storywise dos2 is more serious, which doesn't work with the silly world they have created, making dos1 better in that department. Spells and interactions are better in dos2. Companions are waaay better in dos2, but the origin story mode was a truly bad idea for an rpg and putting so much effort into it was unwise. Graphics are a wash; dos1 has a style that much better fits the silly world and feel, but dos2 has higher fidelity. Dos1 has more fun rpg mechanics in that you can build your characters however you want while dos2 is a bit more restricted in what works well and what doesn't. The armor system is great for fixing the excessive dependence on cc from dos1, but it introduces as many problems as it solves.
DOS as a setting and world does not work as anything other than a light-hearted background, it does not have the depth or immersion to support anything more serious, which is the primary issue with DOS2.
>>
>>3429127
It's the other way around, dude. You tear through their armor and then cc / burst them. Fights were much quicker in DOS2 if you had a focused team. I ran double lone wolf mages and once you get some good spell kits you rip through nearly everything in the game with teleports, aoe, and cc.
>>
>>3444620
Yeah... DOS is not very good.
>>
solo tactician no lone wolf no glass is the only way to play
>>
>>3444620
i had fun with ego draconis. not much of an rpg though.
>>
File: 20240407010249_1.jpg (569 KB, 1920x1080)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
I quite like this whole graveyard area. I'm having fun again.
>>
>>3445956
Once you've killed everything in there, I recommend putting a pyramid in that room, casting bone cage, then living on the edge, then teleporting the user into combat, putting shackles of pain on the target you want to die, then cast reactive armor
do this sparingly for tanky targets or else you'll ruin the game for yourself
>>
>>3445987
I don't even have half of those abilities.
>>
>>3447289
welp, you definitely have access to LotE and SoP at your local necro merchant, you might need to level up to have access to BC and RA, but if you don't have any teleporter pyramids I'd suggest you explore the ship a bit more
>>
>>3426152
Said literally no one.
>>
>>3425851
Larian writing is weird. It's bad, but in its own unique way. There's an underlying silliness to everything, which works okay sometimes, but at other times really clashes with the dark atmosphere they're trying to create.
>>
>>3445956
Still continuing with this and I'm bored again. This is honestly the worst combat I have ever seen in a crpg or even jrpg, it's genuinely amazing how bad and boring it is. Thank God they dropped DOS for now because this game is only fun when you are exploring. BG3 combat is 10x more fun.
>>
I like how much of a shitposter braccus is
>ok these guys built me a maze
>make them immortal, put their heads on sticks, and surround them with plants that will explode forever if someone opens this box lol
>i lit these pigs on fire, forever. make sure no one ever puts them out stupid lizard hehe
>puts a paint bucket of curse on top of the door for the next person who opens it
>>
>>3448072
I guess? The humor is laid on so thick that it detracts from the rare moments it would have been actually funny.
>>
>>3448077
Yeah I don't really pay attention for the dialogue and more try to enjoy the humorous moments in the setting for what they are
Like the schizo who's been driving around at 40mph in a pentagram for so long that she's worn lava tracks into the ground is silly
>>
>>3448058
You can pretty safely assume anyone defending DOS combat is retarded.
>>
>>3425851
Genuinely, how do you niggers even play Larian games? I can't stand how their characters talk, I've tried like four times to beat DOS:1 because I really liked the artwork, use of color, and music but I just can't be bothered to care much past act 2, and even getting through that feels like a slog.

The bait and switch concept also pisses me off to no end. The game sells you on being the Fantasy FBI, only for an hour or so in for it to flip the script and now you have to stop the end of time and there's a Shakespeare imp. I hate it. And then the story essentially has you as some dude running around with your partner meeting important OC white haired mage after important OC white haired mage, who the plot really revolves around. Fuck, who wants to play an RPG where the writing sucks?
>>
>>3448993
what if I told you all the imps were named after somethingawful moderators?
I bet you're way more into it now, probably your favorite rpg.
>>
>>3448998
No that's worse. And the writing still sucks.
>>
>>3448998(Me)
I meant rpgcodex, how weird that I mixed that up.
>>
>>3448993
>Fuck, who wants to play an RPG where the writing sucks?
Many millions of people, apparently.
>>
writing has largely sucked for the past 30 years
>>
>>3449478
>writing has largely sucked for the past 30 years
True. Personally, I expect video game writing to be mediocre and average. It only bothers me when it is noticeably jarring and immersion-breakingly stupid. Like, if I'm distracted from the game enough that I'm thinking "This game has fucking shit writing" then I can no longer suspend my disbelief, and it has failed to even be not-great.
>>
>>3448993
>Genuinely, how do you niggers even play Larian games
By not being a retarded baby who gets filtered by everything and only plays games for the writing because they don't even like rpgs
>>
>>3448993
Its only merit is the combat system which is kind of engaging with using the environmental effects. But it is not a good crpg in the sense that it tells a good story with interesting characters and good writing. Build autists should have their fun, though.
>>
File: 1712557079471741.jpg (257 KB, 1440x1080)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>3450010
You've got it all wrong, the writing, builds, and combat in DOS is terrible. The real appeal is the map design, which is amazing in 2 at times, and terrible in DOS1, which has no redeeming qualities but succeeded as a casual co-op game in a time when competition was abysmal.
>>
>>3450010
>Its only merit is the combat system
What is good about its combat system?
>>
genuinely curious what you people think a good crpg is if you think everything about a DoS game is trash
>>
File: 3x3 rpg.jpg (361 KB, 920x920)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>>3450272
I like the exploration but everything else is pretty dang bad. I actually really like BG3, its not in my top 10 or anything, but I think its really great and a godsend for the genre. I would rate it a 9/10 whereas I would rate DOS2 a 6/10. I like these games.
>>
File: 20240412005215_1.jpg (686 KB, 1920x1080)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
Dealing with cannibals now.
>>
>>3451690
lohse looks like she wants to die
>>
>>3450364
>posts the “I don’t even play games, I just watch video essays about them on YouTube and read about them on Reddit” starter pack
Embarrassing taste
>>
>>3450149
I could explain that but you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>3450272
It depends on what you mean by CRPG in general.
Bioware clones only? They're all trash and largely have the same exact issues because every single one of them is trying to ape BG games without understanding the issues of the format.
Wanna include other computer game formats? Then it's a bit different, but other formats are also made for largely different kinds of audiences, I can tell you that something like Wizardry 8 or Gothic 2 are a better game than D:OS2 and you'd rightfully bitch about how different they are.
Honestly this entire subgenre warring is stupid in the first place, I don't like D:OS games because they're pretty bad in terms of game design regardless of what kind of subgenre you wanna stick them too, but I generally don't really like the Bioware clone format in general, which most people around call "CRPG" for some reason, so my opinion is a bit hot for most to handle.
>>
>>3452005
>Wizardry 8 or Gothic 2 are a better game than D:OS2
I don't even like dos2 but no they aren't. Those are what I like to call "tourist games" for people not really interested in rpgs.
>>
>>3452011
You're retarded.
>>
>>3451771
>I don’t even play games
What makes you say that
>>
File: 20240413022841_1.jpg (446 KB, 1920x1080)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
Kidnapped by voidwoken, (in a battle rather than a cutscene) then taken to their layer and the party is split up. That was pretty neat.
>>
>>3452893
As much as people criticize larian for cutscenes, they are really good at making things not happen in a cutscene.
>>
File: 20240414183640_1.jpg (740 KB, 1920x1080)
740 KB
740 KB JPG
Boy, I bet this encounter caused a lot of butthurt on release.
>>
>>3454911
What were they thinking?
>>
>>3454911
It's funny to me that this supposed normalfaggot game has an encounter that is no less than 50x harder than any encounter in any jrpg ever made.
>>
>>3455017
if you plan ahead and get rid of the oil barrels and oil pools with oily carapace, it really isn't that bad
>>
The victory condition in that fight is to save the apprentice and keep him alive.
>>
>>3455045
Yeah, he's insanely suicidal. I had to keep teleporting him across the map multiple times because he just kept inventing new ways to kill himself.
>>
>>3455046
frozen shell or whatever it's called that immobilizes a friendly unit and heals them is practically tailor made for that fight just for him
>>
Why do so many rpgs love empty container?
>>
>>3455175
I imagine this must be very frustrating for a piss skin asian used to chests being like a fortune cookie
>>
>>3455234
...but the containers are already like fortune cookies, even more so with lucky charm
>>
>>3455175
>Why do so many rpgs love empty container?
Larian games like BG3 generate random loot from leveled lists. They're literally Bethesda games.
>>
>>3449909
The gameplay sucks too though. A lot of cool ideas (environmental effects and action points) implemented horribly.
>>
File: 1713178265472114.webm (163 KB, 218x356)
163 KB
163 KB WEBM
>>3455300
Good thing Larian has achieved an actual grasp of dynamic gameplay that is sorely lacking in bethesda games where loot is largely inconsequential. I am moreso annoyed by the scaled loot in dos2, thank god bg3 removed that and instead random drops are taken from a pool based on the assumed appropriate level of an area, something not even morrowind comes close to getting right.
>>
>>3455307
>random drops are taken from a pool based on the assumed appropriate level of an area
Literal Bethesda design. You are coping so hard, whew lad.
>>
>>3455307
random loot is cancer
>>
>>3455308
>Literal Bethesda design
In bethesda loot scales with the player, not the area. Random loot in BG3 works like random loot in BG2, inconsequential items are offloaded into the treasure tag and scaled appropriately per area.
>>
>>3455311
>more cope
Lmao
>>
>>3455313
Wow looks like your post wasn't the ebin gotcha you thought it was, back to the slop pits bethesturd
>>
>>3455311
>Random loot in BG3
>he’s still coping about this
>he’s playing a game with Diablo style random loot and random loot tables in containers
That’s a whole lot of glass in your house to be casting stones, anon.
>>
>>3454911
Yes, but it's because of the massed necrofire raping framerates into the single digits and the suicidal ally AI.
>>3455027
It's not a hard encounter at all.
>>
>>3455982
>It's not a hard encounter at all
It was so hard that people were afraid to play tactician in bg3 because they thought it would be like this.
>>
>>3456003
That says more about the playerbase than the encounter's difficulty.
>>
>>3449478
Only 30?
>>
>>3457069
i judge the quality of writing against the quality of star trek that was airing at the time
writing quality really dropped off hard after 2007-2009, but there are always some quality outliers
>>
>>3457083
TNG is the only good star trek series.
>>
>>3457085
come on now don't be like that
>>
File: 20240418024753_1.jpg (514 KB, 1920x1080)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
Clearing out some mines now.
>>
File: 20240419194643_1.jpg (497 KB, 1920x1080)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
Chucked the boss down a hallway then immediately into stunlock, even had Fane play dead so he didn't get downed after triggering everything. This whole armor system is really broken.
>>
>>3457168
That's true.
>>
File: 20240421214029_1.jpg (555 KB, 1920x1080)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
Is it just me or is murderhobo'ing pushed super hard in this game? The scaled diablo loot makes it extremely beneficial to get every drop of exp possible.
>>
>>3461420
>Is it just me or is murderhobo'ing pushed super hard in this game?
It's just you, you're a bad person. The game is testing your ability to resist doing so, and you have been found wanting.
>>
>>3461427
There's a pretty strict dps race level-wise unless you cheese the game and a lot of times not killing everything is exponentially harder than killing everything. Like I'm rescuing this elf from lone wolves now and the entire camp turns hostile once you do, and they make it near impossible to sneak out, and if I do I lose out on like a level and a half worth of exp. PoE was the opposite where you get more exp for thinking out of the box and avoiding killing everything because it had milestone leveling. In this game often times there are zero downsides to just killing everyone and usually not doing so is the evil option anyways.
>>
>>3461440
that camp is always hostile and you're supposed to deal with them first before going upstairs
>>
>>3461444
They weren't hostile to me. I could talk to and trade with them. The game even rewards you special "Hero" dialogue options for choosing the murder everyone option, this feels retarded. It's like they have this super interactive mechanical system and wasted all of it.
>>
>>3461448
they are objectively evil people
>>
>>3461451
My entire party is evil characters. Skeleton that doomed his entire race, woman possessed by a demon, an assassin for hire, and a prince that can't stop talking about how based slavery is.
>>
>>3461457
>it was an accident
>town bicycle
>gotta make a living
>my lizad gets a pass
>>
File: 20240423011521_1.jpg (999 KB, 1920x1080)
999 KB
999 KB JPG
Can't get any more source points, so all that's left is to mop up whats left of this act I guess.
>>
You're free to decide that all of the Source Masters in act 2 are evil and wish for you to do evil acts in the pursuit of power, and reject all of them and their teachings. You can still progress and finish the game just fine, though doing so does have plot repercussions in act 4.
>>
File: 2000% WOW.png (407 KB, 540x540)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
I'm in the middle of a playthrough with some friends, but we keep running into a recurring issue;
whenever we're in a fight and there's one enemy left with low HP, one of us (let's call him shaggy) refuses to just auto attack him twice and finish the fight, instead taking forever trying to brainstorm his next move, buffs 6 times, uses skin graft, summons something so he gets another turn, barely tickles the guy with his remaining AP, then repeats the process with his summon, turning the whole 5 second interaction into a 5 minute ordeal where we can't leave the fight and go do something else

if we start a fight without him to try and avoid this, eventually he finds out and begs us not to do our turns until he gets there (he's sneaking the whole way over and takes 2 minutes positioning himself)
he's not a new player and creates the most annoyingly busted builds that he uses to waste everyone's time, seemingly not maliciously or on purpose
when asked why he does this, he denies that it actually takes that long and that we're exaggerating (we aren't, and even went so far as to record gameplay to show him, which he denies as "one time")

normally he's pretty cool, but is there realistically any way to avoid falling into this trap? we're toying around with just respeccing to have escapist so we can tp out when its our turn so he has to fight the encounters solo (which he is capable of doing; quickly, even), or casting cryotherapy on him to skip his turn
>>
>magister uses ricochet on an oil barrel, bouncing the shot into me and paladin cork
>oil spills all over the place
>2nd magister throws an oil flask in between the oil slick and a lit torch nearby to bridge the gap
>whole thing explodes and sets me and cork on fire
unironically kino
>>
bump b4 bed
>>
gonna try a hydro mage with a little necro for decaying touch, wish me luck bros

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.