[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>hate baldurs gate and other forgotten realms games
>moderately enjoy fallout while hating the majority of fallout 2
>hate gothic
>hate diablo 2
>hate gameplay of deus ex but enjoy everything else
Skip forward one console generation
>love arcanum
>love morrowind
>love vampire bloodlines
>love kotor 1 and 2

Does anyone else relate to this? With the exception of deus ex it's not just the gameplay but also the story, dialogue, and artstyle that i can't seem to enjoy. This is exclusive to wrpgs too since jrpgs have remained mostly consistent.
>>
>>3443923
Your problem is that you only like good games
>>
No I hate morrowind, arcanum and bloodlines
Baldurs gate is great.
Seems that people have different opinions.
Perhaps we should live with this fact rather than having opinions threads. They achieve nothing as people cannot agree.
Imagine how good this board would be without them.
>>
>>3443923
A lot of those older games feel kind of clunky and I couldn't really get into them when I was younger, but nowadays I both have more patience and a bigger desire to play around with the characters customization and story reactivity and whatever that I'm more willing to deal with combat that isn't great.
>>
>>3443923
You should try Never Winter Nights. Its basically KOTORs dad, especially the higher level modules. >>3443923
>>
>>3443923
topdown isometric rpgs >>>>>>> TPS/FPS rpgs, barring few exceptions. JRPGs are unadulterated garbage, again, barring few exceptoins.
>>
>i like one type of games and i dislike other, how could that be??
we just dont know okay
>>
>>3443923
>ok about baldurs gate, love bg2 and planescape torment, like iwd1 and iwd2, but not other forgotten realms games
>hate fallout and fallout 2
>love gothic but not gothic 2
>like diablo, but not diablo 2
>hate gameplay of deus ex but enjoy everything else
>ok with arcanum
>hate morrowind
>love vampire bloodlines
>love kotor 1 and 2
don't think this has anything to do with a specific era.
>>
>>3443930
All threads are opinion threads you autist
>>
>>3443946
>isometric slop
Is only good when you play with friends, otherwise the gameplay is like slogging through shit, the writing is reddit humor and a subpar story, and the artstyle is downright terrible. So I don't see the appeal for someone who is playing purely solo, vampire bloodlines, kotor and morrowind are better
>>
>>3443941
I liked never winter nights at first, I did the first chapter where you look for the mystical beasts or something, I then stopped playing but I don't remember why I remember it being pretty fun. I think it would be better if I had someone to coop with
>>
>>3443923
DnD games can choke on a dick, they are time wasting trash, so many hoops to jump through, so much to learn only to conclude you have to cheese the game systems, it's like buying scratch tickets on mass hoping one will be enough to pay for the rest
>>
>>3443930
I disliked baldurs gate the most out of all those games, nothing about it was appealing in any way
>terrible story
>vomit inducing art style
>cringe dialogue
>bad gameplay and uninteresting customization

Could be it draws too heavily from dnd which is meant to be played with multiple people, and falls flat as a video game because they weren't able to make the game interesting enough for solo play
>>
>>3444315
True i enjoyed jrpgs from that time period a lot more, clearly japan has always had a big culture surrounding vidya and the people who worked on final fantasy/ dragon quest at the time actually cared about game development as opposed to western devs that only pitched in as a one off project and then moved on to some other field.
>>
>>3444324
>old dragon quest
>square
>>
File: 023291-31.gif (374 KB, 112x112)
374 KB
374 KB GIF
>Baldurs gate and other forgotten realms games
always have been cringe brain vomit garbage, and always will be
>fallout and fallout 2
great RPGs. Probably one of the only RPGs
>gothic
immersive ludo
>diablo 2
probably the greatest ARPG ever made
>deus ex
literally the best game ever made. Mainly because of the gameplay
>arcanum
forced cringe brain vomit ass
>morrowind
great open world not much else (oblivion and skyrim are still worse tho)
>vampire bloodlines
unoptimized pile of trash. Game literally can't decide what it wants to be
>kotor 1 and 2
broken unplayable trash

I'm right you're wrong bye bye
>>
>>3444291
>the writing is reddit humor
Yeah, who can forget the humor on reddit circa '96. You fucking retard.
>>
>>3443923
play nwn2 and da:o, also check out wizards and warriors (an oldie)
>>
>>3444494
Isometric rpgs across all eras have reddit humor tho
>>
>>3444572
I was playing dragon age origins then stopped and then lost all my progress after reinstalling it so i dropped it for good, I enjoyed it at first but it kept dragging on and finally stopped after reaching the dwarf city
>>
>>3444494
nta but majority of people that really popularized that kind of humor across the internet in the mid to late 2000s would have been in their teens and preteens playing these games in the mid to late 90s as they grew up. Is it really that inconceivable that impressionable kids would latch on to humor they found funny in media around them and taken it to a more absurd degree 10 years later?
>>
>>3444695
BG1 isn't reddit humor. Reddit humor isn't funny because they always kill the joke. They are late to the punch, unoriginal, try-hard, and overly enthusiastic. BG1 might be what redditors imagine themselves to be, but the reason reddit humor sucks is that they always get it wrong. Redditors will circle-jerk bad imitations of Minsc humor way past the point it stops being funny. Maybe you're too jaded now to appreciate it but you weren't the target audience in 1998. And I'm not saying that every joke and bit of levity in BG1 is good, but it's problem is not being redditlike. That's stupid criticism and the other guy was right to mock it.
>>
File: adom.gif (5 KB, 720x400)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
Play ADOM
Not the shitty new version with no ASCII-graficks
>>
>>3444627
You mean reddit retards copy and paste everything from video games.
>>
File: godfuckingdammit.png (68 KB, 1392x957)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>3443923
brb playing Wizardry right now.

What "generation" does Wizardry even count as btw? Like, it's an Apple][ game from 1981. Does that even fit in a console generation?
>>
>>3443923
Must be you just recently beat BG1 and D2 i had zero nostalgia for them but they were very fun
>>
>>3443923
why do you hate fallout 2 but like the original? hard mode: don't mention cultural references
>>
>>3444864
I hardly noticed the cultural references, I just liked how compact and to the point fallout 1 was, fallout 2 dragged on a lot longer than it really needed to.
>>
>>3444794
>Does that even fit in a console generation?
Yeah, 1st-2nd console generation, the starting point is Odyssey (1972)
>>
>>3444794
3rd gen is considered to have started with the Famicom's release, so the first couple Wizardy games would be 2nd gen games.
>>
>>3444901
>>3444902
Yeah but, it's an Apple II game. Doesn't that kinda disqualify it from being part of console generations? Apple II's one of the first personal computers as we think of them today. Seems kinda wrong
>>
>>3444494
>>3444695
>>3444748
Oldfag here (as in old, not veteran on this board), reddit anything (humor, culture, whatever) is just internet culture from late 90's to mid 00's filtered to be palatable to normies. It's understanable then, tgat a young guy would see Minsc and think it's peak reddit humour, because it is to some degree, but the process was the inverse.
>>
>>3444907
Yeah it's silly to call a PC games part of a console generation, but OP was doing exactly that so...
>>
>>3444916
>It's understanable then, that a young guy would see Minsc and think it's peak reddit humour, because it is to some degree, but the process was the inverse.
Yeah that's basically what I was getting at.

It seems like the thought process for Minsc was something like taking a particular stat spread, class and alignment and brainstorming ideas and refining them into something unique.
>Here we have a musclehead with low cognitive scores and is a berserker with chaotic good alignment.
>So he's a little scary and unstable, but not evil or even neutral so we get comically righteous homicidal tendencies.
>No berserker kit in bg1 so we'll make him a ranger and tweak it a bit.
>Technically, a ranger is supposed to have an animal familiar, we could totally just do without but eventually the idea for Boo emerged, made everyone laugh and fit perfectly with Minsc being a bit crazy and unstable but also a good guy.
>Veteran voice actor Jim Cummings breathes life into these ideas, perfectly executing goofy lines like "evil 'round every corner, careful not to step in any" during an era when voice-acting was a still a novelty.
>>
>>3445343
Most (all?) bg1 NPCs were various characters that the devs had played in tabletop over the years.
>>
>>3445361
yeah and the game has a much larger cast of recruitable characters than any BG-inspired RPG that has come out since.
>>
>>3445343
Yeah, Mnsc was the ttrpg character of one of the devs. The thing is that that sort of random, meta and self referencing humour was always a staple of nerd culture and predates the internet. Since nerds were the early adopters of the internet, it follows that early internet culture grew from nerd culture. You can see it in the BG saga with Minsc or Jan inserting turnips on every conversation.
Later it all converged on reddit whete it was filteted and sanitized to make it more palatable to normies.
I'm not explaining this to you, btw, since you know all of this already, but more so a passing zoomie might understand where all of this come from.
>>
>>3443923
>Anybody else find rpgs before the 6th generation to be unplayable?

Its because you are the cancer killing RPGs.
>>
File: Screenshot_36.png (25 KB, 76x111)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>3445523
>Its because you are the cancer killing RPGs.
>>
>>3445523
>Yeah, I'm one of *those* people
They're a cancer in general holy fuck. Anyone who says this in any context should get punched by a nearby peer.
>>
>>3445523
Except I never said that reading was bad (the stories are garbage) and that the gameplay was too complicated, (its braindead easy) but as long as it makes midwits like you feel smart about playing a genre that has been dead up until it introduced coomer mechanics then go off lol. In my op I literally mentioned that i enjoyed morrowind, which has even more reading and in depth character creation than any of the crpgs I said were bad.
>>
>>3445758
Not that guy but OP is a faggot with a worthless opinion and no interesting arguments or any kind of insight whatsoever.
>>
>>3443923
If I had to hazard a guess, it's that you have this perspective because you grew up playing 2000s console games, and not 90s PC games.
>>
>>3445765
>OP makes a well crafted argument
>Retarded codextard starts crying and throwing insults, adding nothing to the conversation
Go jump off a bridge you fucking braindead product of incest, don't type anything if you have nothing to say
>>
>>3445765
From a purely single player perspective, how are any of the games that I mentioned as bad any better than the ones I mentioned were good? Not only do they have a worse story and setting(baldurs gate, diablo 2), but also less customization(fallout, deus ex). Jrpgs from the same time period have significantly better party interaction and music, while elder scrolls games like morrowind literally does everything baldurs gate does but fixes it for a single player experience with an extremely in depth character creator, superior story, open world, artstyle, music etc. Baldurs gate devs even came out and said that final fantasy 7 played an integral role in helping bring life to companions in baldurs gate 2 so the jrpgs you so despise literally served as inspiration for the bioware devs back then.
>>
>>3444086
Threads about opinions are terrible. Threads that put forth an opinion to facilitate discussion are not.
>>
>>3445786
>well crafted argument
There's no argument anywhere, dumbass. Literally all he does is talk about games he enjoys and doesn't enjoy and makes vague reference to "gameplay story dialog and artstyle" with zero detail or argumentation at all.
>>
File: fft-male-mediator.png (370 KB, 425x765)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
>>3445794
>how are any of the games that I mentioned as bad any better than the ones I mentioned were good
You're the one supposed to be bringing the argument.
>Not only do they have a worse story and setting(baldurs gate, diablo 2)
How? If you want to make asinine contrarian claims like this you need some substance behind them otherwise you're just a worthless dicksucking faggot with nothing but empty opinions and nobody gives a shit.
>Jrpgs from the same time period have significantly better party interaction and music
This is a nonsense apples/oranges comparison not to mention being binary-brain and totally lacking in any relevant detail.
>while elder scrolls games like morrowind literally does everything baldurs gate does
Learn what "literally" means. Morrowind literally does not have RTwP tactical combat, Baldur's Gate does.
> superior story, open world, artstyle, music
No argument here, once again just bland opinions and nobody cares if you can't substantiate them.
>so the jrpgs you so despise
I never said anything about JRPGs at all, schizo.
>>
>love arcanum
>love morrowind
>love vampire bloodlines
>love kotor 1 and 2
Sounds like you just like visiting Reddit a lot and have inherited their lack of taste in video games.
>>
>>3444572
picked up wizards and warriors today and am having fun. good rec, thanks. i really liked da:o so i figured i would enjoy it.
>>
>>3443923
>hate Diablo II
you have low testosterone and extremely bad taste.
>>
>>3443923
Diablo is not a role playing game and everything else you said makes it clear you dont know much and have poor taste besides.
Please leave the internet. Go outside. Talk to a neighbor. Hug somebody's cat. Get a life.
>>
>>3443923
I get filtered by older RPGs from the early 1990s and before. For example, I could never get into the Dark Sun games despite finding the setting really interesting, because the UI is just too fucking old for me.

CRPGs from the late 1990s (probably starting with Fallout in 1997) are fine for me though.
>>
I tried Arcanum years ago but quit because the combat was bad. Also, admittedly, kinda got filtered by all the different ingredients and components and shit. However, the setting and dialogue was kino.

Someone please recommend me a braindead easy and powerful character build that lets me just trivialize all combat and collecting trivial items and shit so I can focus on the non-combat content.

I tried a Harm build before, but I kept losing stamina and getting exhausted.
>>
>>3444314
yeah Baldur's Gay is pretty bad and has always been fruity and corny shite
>>
>>3443923
you sound like a faggot. ultima 7 is better than all of those games
>>
File: ultima underworld.jpg (3.01 MB, 2438x3484)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>3447451
Pfffft. Not even the best Ultima game out that year
>>
File: 1456791084432.png (38 KB, 499x338)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>3445758
>calls others midwits while saying games are bad merely based on whether he likes them or not
>doesnt understand why is lumped together with biodrones

Comedy.

>>3445786
>saying you made a well-crafted argument
>"Uh game bad because I dont like it"
>"Game good because I like it"
>Go jump off a bridge you fucking braindead product of incest, don't type anything if you have nothing to say

Self-awareness level: 0

>>3445794
>customizations is.. le good!
>why
>because it just is! More options means game gud!

I am absolutely fine with you filtering yourself.
I wish you could filter yourself back to r.eddit.
>>
>>3447422
>corny shite
Corn? When did I eats corn?
>>
>>3444086
There’s threads that can have an interesting premise and content which invite opinions.
And then there’s this shit.
>muh old generation games are all better than another older generation in all cases lmao
This is Mario vs sonic tier.
>>
How do I play Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga with anything close to an acceptable screen setting nowadays? I managed to run it in upscaled 720p but all the menus are still centered in the middle with huge black bars
>>
>>3448007
>How do I play Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga with anything close to an acceptable screen setting nowadays? I managed to run it in upscaled 720p but all the menus are still centered in the middle with huge black bars
https://github.com/Gibberlings3/widescreen/releases
Works on all IE games. I would personally recommend either 1280x720 (closer to original screen size) or 1920x1080 (sharper but further zoomed out, still useable). Note that depending on the particular game you might want another mod to adjust the interface art appropriately. Also, if you have a second monitor, the game won't trap your mouse cursor on the primary screen, which I find annoying, so I'd disable it while playing.
>>
File: bald gate.png (929 KB, 1280x768)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
>>3448017
I installed the widescreen mod and a mod for widescreen UI but I still have black bars cause the UI only goes up to 720p
As I type this post I realized it's just me being retarded, cause I took a screenshot and it's in 720p. I probably just need to activate stretching in the Nvidia settings somewhere
>>
>>3443923
arcanum is older than gothic you fucking spastic
>>
>>3448044
so's ur mum
>>
>>3448080
>your mom's older than 22
18, post here, etc
>>3448044
Gothic is actually slightly older
>>
>>3447403
When I played arcanum I just walked around as a half ogre bashing everything. A lot of the writing is just really robotic lore dumps and quests have extremely strict lines of progression, like sure, you can solve then in different ways, but it's so on the rails what is the point? Like if you go somewhere before a quest tells you to there's no way to start that quest. Some areas you are just straight up locked out of. Then the latter half of the game is just awful, like the worst thing I have ever seen. I have no idea why people praise arcanum.
>>
>>3448085
>When I played arcanum I just walked around as a half ogre bashing everything
Based self-inserting roleplayer.
>>
>>3445845
>how?
I'm not one of your faggot ecelebs thats going to upload an hour long restrospectice analyzing different bits of dialogue, if you actually played more than 2 games you wouldn't need me to spoonfeed you details as if you're a nigger learning elementary school mathematics, nobody compliments baldurs gate or diablo for their story or music, baldurs gate in particular is only liked for its rpg mechanics which are faithful to dnd, but that fact alone doesn't make it a good video game, you also have to account for artstyle, combat, story all which fall short of other games in the same time period. At that point just play dnd
>This is a nonsense apples/ oranges comparison
Is this some sort of cope?
>it doesnt count if the game I don't like, which is a part of the same genre, has the same gameplay principles regarding exploration, combat, and party composition happens to have better music and characters than the game i do like because... it just doesn't okay!!!!
>morrowind doesn't have rtwp "tactical combat"
That's an improvement
>superior story, open world, artstyle, music
>no argument
My argument is that the story of baldurs gate sucks because avatarfag gaping wound transvestites like yourself enjoy it, sound enough argument for you?
>>
>>3447660
Yes retard, video games aren't a pure work of art there is a whole technical aspect to them you have to account for which improves with time (and has stagnated) the peak of gaming was not in the 90s especially for western studios which didn't even have a culture surrounding games as much as japan
>>
>>3443923
I replayed the original baldur's gate a couple years ago. It's fun, still holds up in my opinion. Only problem is the game being a reloadfest for the first couple of levels if you play a spellcaster.
>>
>>3448169
I beat the original baldurs gate last summer on core rules difficulty, thought it sucked
>>
>>3447635
>needs explanation on why customization is good despite the entire genre revolving around customization and progression
>retard isnt even familiar with rpgs, the genre this board focuses on, accuses the other anon for lacking self awareness
>filter yourself back to r.eddit.
Filter yourself back to a rope, tranny
>>
>>3443923
What abou wizardry, ultima or bard's tale ?
>>
>>3443935
How's Arcanum, Morrowind and Bloodlines NOT clunky? I love Baldur's Gate but just can't get into Morrowind and Bloodlines to save my life.
>>
>>3443923
No. That's pretty much all I play, and I don't use mods or gay qol patches.
>>
I hate that everyone sucks Bloodlines' veiny futa cock like a fag while the superior game is never ever mentioned
>>
>>3448413
Redemption is pure kino.
>>
>>3448251
I was kind of speaking generally and wasn't necessarily agreeing with OP's exact list of games. The only one of those I played to the end when I was young and wouldn't describe as particularly clunky is KOTOR.
Arcanum is exactly the type I would call clunky, but also I think pretty all isometric games are. They just always feel awkward and slow to pilot a characters around. Bloodlines has really iffy combat but I'm not sure "clunky" is a word I'd use since it's a first-person game that feels fairly natural to move around it and do stuff. I've never played Morrowind so can't say anything about it.
>>
>>3443925
If by good you mean shit then i completely agree. Not liking diablo 2 = tape on that mouth shut you 19 year old virgin living in mommies basement.
>>
>>3443923
i found baldurs gate boring as shit at the time, despite people raving about it.
Only two times did i ever enjoy baldurs gate,
One playing it at a lan with friends
Two playing it on an ipad, which for some reason makes the game more enjoyable.
>>
Baldur's Gate combat is so unappealing, which is a shame.
>>
>>3443923
No, I love those games, they are more accessible and have way better art than the previous generation.
>>
>>3444423
Agree with you except I liked Arcanum and haven't gotten into Gothic
>>
File: tomber wojak.jpg (11 KB, 236x214)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>3443923
Anon the crpg boomer era begins with Fallout 1 in 1997 and ends with VTMB in 2004. If you can't include BG 1&2, FO 1&2, Gothic 1&2, Diablo 1&2, and Deux as as part of the kino era, there is something seriously wrong with you.
Now, Daggerfall, Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic are the unplayable tomber games.
>>
File: apple ii controls.png (952 KB, 730x715)
952 KB
952 KB PNG
>>3448628
Wizardry 1 from 1981 literally has wasd controls when you're in first person. People who say it's unplayable have never actually played it.

Now, Deathlord on the other hand....
>>
>>3448647
>IJKL
>other shortcuts entirely based on abbreviations
Kino overload
>>
File: deathlord controls 2.png (1.01 MB, 771x758)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>3448648
It's not even all the controls either. How many modern games have a dedicated button to N)egotiate with your enemies in combat these days?
>>
>>3448651
Does Shin Megami Tensei count?
>>
>>3448173
...why did you continue playing it? Surely by the halfway point you'd know if it's a game for you.
>>
>>3448628
>crpg boomer era begins with Fallout 1 in 1997 and ends with VTMB
Is this what retarded kids think? Because that would explain a lot. These are simply the most casual entry level games available when FO hit the reset button on the industry and everything had to be designed for people who never played a video game before.
>>
>>3448647
>Dedicated 'Climb out of pit' command
S O V L
O
V
L
>>
File: 23626236.jpg (60 KB, 350x510)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3448188
>customization is le good because its le good
Called it.
>>
>>3448173
people who 'beat' rpgs are weird.
>>
>>3448835
Elaborate
Is it about the fact he's not immediately replaying it with 3 other builds?
>>
>>3448853
>Elaborate
NTA but I interpreted that as a distinction between 'finished' and 'beat' which does carry some meaning but seems largely semantic, many people use them interchangeably.
>>
>>3448853
on the contrary, it sounds like one play rpgs for achievements like an arcade shooter.
>>
>>3448860
>>3448856
Meh. No matter how well-written RPGs are, they're still vidor jems with a challenge to overcome. Almost all of them have a final boss, even. So I would always use finished and beat equivalently
>>
>>3448734
I stopped playing it for a long time and then came back to realizing I was already near the end
>>
>>3443923
>>hate baldurs gate and other forgotten realms games
>>moderately enjoy fallout while hating the majority of fallout 2
>>hate gothic
>>hate diablo 2
>>hate gameplay of deus ex but enjoy everything else
Nope, those are all great.
For me it's the Gold Box shit. Like I'm sure Shattered Sun is an amazing game, but it's just too dated for me.
Darklands also.
>>
File: 1624963305148.gif (350 KB, 368x450)
350 KB
350 KB GIF
>>3448919
*Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
>>
>>3448628
>Wizardry, Might and Magic
Wizardry 8 is great (install the speed mod).
M&M6 is likewise a fine game.
>>
>>3448814
So, when are you gonna kill yourself? You know you want to.
>>
i tried pool of radiance and liked it
>>
>>3444296
Yeah I got so many hours out of NWN. Most of the time just playing different classes/builds up to a point in a campaign just to see how they grow in strength; also enjoy the story don't know why.
>>
>>3443923
I hate all the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms games, 2nd edition is kind of shit imo.
Gothic is obtuse to learn, once you learn the controls it is amazing but getting over the hurdle is a pain.
Not sure how you can love Bloodlines but hate Deus Ex.
>>
>>3449537
Gothic's controls weren't too big a bother, I just didn't really care for the character progression and the setting. There were a severe lack of playstyles, only 4 weapon types (one handed, two handed, bow, crossbow). Felt more like an action adventure than an rpg
>>
>>3449537
Deus ex isn't really an rpg, I like that bloodlines has in an depth character creator, each vampire clan offers a different kind of playstyle right off the bat. Deus ex feels unsure of what it wants to be, on one hand it encourages stealth even though there are hardly any features that accomodate for a full stealth playthrough
>>
>>3449804
>Deus ex feels unsure of what it wants to be, on one hand it encourages stealth even though there are hardly any features that accomodate for a full stealth playthrough
The game encourages you, the player, to exercise moral self-restraint in your application of violence, although the mechanics of the game do not enforce or reward this.
>>
>>3444307
>getting filtered by the most entry level ttrpg system
>>
>>3449804
>I like that bloodlines has in an depth character creator
It really doesn't and stats are much more important in deus ex.
>>
>>3450581
it's lifted from tabletop with some simplifications (no flaws/merits, fewer skills per category)
>>
>>3450585
>it's lifted from tabletop with some simplifications
No, there isn't a single mechanic faithfully carried from the tabletop. It's only vampire aesthetically, which might not have been a bad thing since the ttrpg is absolutely terrible, but they somehow managed to make an even worse version of it, and it's honestly insane that you think an action adventure game uses tabletop rules. Really, every character is the same. You have plenty of pips to unlock every lock, to run melee early game and transition to firearms, and the rest is poorly implemented and arbitrary flavor which is oversold to an asinine degree. The difference in how you have to approach the game in deus ex if you alter your stats completely dwarfs vtmb, and all those stats are direct interactions with the environment rather than arbitrary skill thresholds in DPS or dialogue, whereas in deus ex building your character with a rocket launcher will result in an entirely different playthrough where you run around blasting doors open like Rambo versus a stealth playthrough, which runs the full gambit of how you approach missions strategically to how you manage resources, very decision loaded.
>>
>>3443923
I mostly agree except Arcanum, I dropped Arcanum when I realized there was no 'highlight intractable objects' key. Pixel hunting is fucking gay and I'm so glad that meme died.
>>
>>3448919
I'll give you Darklands (combat screen looks like utter shit), but Dark Sun isn't that different mechanically from BG, apart from the TB combat. Inventory management is literally identical (BG devs copied that bit wholesale), spells are very similar, and it even has a targeting grid/cone for area spells.
>>
>>3448928
Sounds like you are facing some troubles in your life that you are doing this whole "confession through projection"-thing, anon.

I hope you get better.
>>
>>3443923
No only very specific RPGs, mainly RTWP ones because so many of them were just you awkwardly running up to the enemies with your party and smacking each other until one side dies first. I think the majority of older turn-based RPGs hold up fine, and I don't count Diablo 2 because it's less an RPG and more an action game with stats.
>>
>>3448853
The correct term is "solved"
>>
>>3450815
The sound and animations are horrendous though.
>>
>>3451146
>tfw you finally unlock that RPG you were playing
>>
>>3443923
are those the only problematic ones to you?, or are G0 to G5 problematic as well?
>>
>>3451148
They're admittedly kinda poor, but not really *that* much worse than other DOS RPGs of the era.
>>
>>3451049
>I don't count Diablo 2 because it's less an RPG and more an action game with stats.
Diablo 2 is a loot generator for loot addicts. That being said, it's a nice game to play on autopilot.
>>
>>3444326
disingenuous piece of shit
>>
>>3443923
You don't get to talk shit about my generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgX5ZwFnP84
>>
>>3448860
"finishing backlogs" and "hunting for achievements" to reach some ominous "100% completion" goal kill gaming.
>>
>>3448919
I always wonder why these old games aren't being remade if they're so great an all ways but playability.
>>
>>3451498
What are you even going on about? You're still going on this tangent just because I used "beat" instead of "finished"? Obsessing over someone's vocabulary doesn't make you sound smart, only makes you come off like a faggot redditor, coincidence?
>>
>>3443923
All the game you named here are good.
>>
>>3449037
>falling for moeblob propaganda
>>
>>3451501
>if they're so great
The novelty comes from them being shitty old games only autistic hipsters play. They're not games people actually want to buy and play, so remaking them is pointless.
>>
>>3451722
I would love a sincere and authentic remake of Darklands personally, but I can’t think of a single modern (((reboot))) that was actually good and didn’t shit all over the source material.
>>
>>3451501
Tastes change. Look at BG3. People don't want a subtle introduction to a vast fantasy world and a story building over time, they want dragons fighting planar spaceships in the very first scene, they want vampire elf homosex and brain eating parasites that grant special powers. They want plots with "mind-blowing" twists every 5 minutes no matter how arbitrary and nonsensical it all is.
>>
>>3452230
>People don't want a subtle introduction to a vast fantasy world and a story building over time
Which is a shame because that's one of the reasons I loved BG1 back in the day. At the time I had very little knowledge of DnD and none about FR. Loved the pace and exploration, BG2 felt like a rush compared
>>
File: wg.jpg (1.84 MB, 1500x2000)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>3443923
Either lack of quality-of-life GUI features that were developed slowly, or you are just retarded AF.
>>
Lands of Lore is genuinely playable and really fun
>>
>>3451721
what's the moeblob definitive list of rpgs?
>>
>>3453786
>muh BG3
>muh Ultima
>muh KotC2
Aside from that, just your standard RPGCodex Hivemind Approved hipster classics. Popular, but not TOO popular.
>>
>>3452659
Right, it's so immersive if your brain hasn't been fried by constant hyperstimulation.
>exploring the vast green in all directions
>finding treasure in an old barrel hidden under a tree somewhere
>xvarts!
>stopping to listen and hearing the footsteps of the sex swap belt ogre off-screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2F0HBPR_28
>>
>>3448804
But no jump button. People were making absolute horseshit even back then, I see.
>>
>>3448651
>How many modern games have a dedicated button to N)egotiate with your enemies in combat these days?
Does intimidation count? because Biowareslop and Fallout both do this.
>>
>>3452696
>Marisa if she soulless gacha bait:
>>
File: BG1map.png (2.51 MB, 1000x1405)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB PNG
>>
>>3454553
By contrats you get sidequests thrown at you to anxiety-inducing levels as soon as you exit the first dungeon in bg2.
Also, seems like every area is tied to a quest or another, in bg1 there were areas that only existed as a way to reach more areas and you could ignore them or explore them at leaisure.
To some dgree the world felt more aluve in bg1 than 2 becuase places existed regardless of you, in bg2 it was like everything was tied to you. Even the cities felt more like their own place rather than your own scenario.
Not sure if I'm making sense.
>>
>>3454743
>Not sure if I'm making sense.
Totally. That habit of centering everything around the protagonist is a problem in fiction in general.
And yes, in my memories, that feeling of random wilderness was especially strong in those few areas on the shoreline, between Candlekeep and the Gnoll fortress, namely where Drizz't can be found.

I first played this way too young to be any good at it or really understand how it worked, and I remember being scared by places like Cloakwood or those side maps that I entered by accident. After this I would only ever stick to the Inn, Beregost and Nashkel, and couldn't even clear the mines.
There was a whole world out there and it felt real and dangerous. I didn't have the stuff for adventure, and if I could have retired in Beregost as a commoner I would have. That's what I did, until some companions got angry.
>>
>>3444307
>so much to learn only to conclude you have to cheese the game systems
I just had this happen to me in Baldur's Gate 2 when I reached the dragon at the end of the game. It was my 3rd playthrough, but I still forgot how OP he was and I was stuck for a while. So I google it only to realize that I totally forgot you could just cast "disintegrate" and 1 shot him. But Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale don't suffer from this problem like Baldur's Gate 2 does.
>>
>>3454743
>in bg2 it was like everything was tied to you.
This was exacerbated by locations on the map being sidequest activated. You couldn't freeroam by simply walking to the edge of an area screen and having the adjacent area activate, like in BG1.
>>
>>3449804
>unsure of what it wants to be
Why does anyone still use this cringe meme. It just shows everyone that you have limited vocabulary and can't form your own critical opinions.
>>
>>3443923
>Baldurs Gate 1/2
I don't have a verdict yet, I tried playing long ago and gave up quickly but I think I could probably get into them now.
>Fallout 1
Absolutely loved it, probably my favorite old CRPG.
>Fallout 2
I didn't like it and never finished it. I don't even know if I can explain why. There's more content but the quality feels lower compared to Fallout 1.
>Arcanum
I'm playing it right now and I'm in love with it. It might end up overtaking Fallout 1 as my favorite by the time I finish it.
>Morrowind
Much like Skyrim, I was super immersed in this game at the beginning but once I became moderately powerful it became stale and boring. Oblivion is still the only TES game that has managed to hold my attention for more than 10-20 hours.
>NWN 1/2
Good games but also forgettable. I still need to try out the multiplayer/mods.
>>
>>3455487
>Arcanum
I'm waiting until Tim Cain gets to publish his fixed version
>>
I started with Morrowind/Vampire/Deus Ex and it cemented my love for the imsim-fps pseudo RPG, but as I explored retro RPGs I found I really liked the Might and Magic series, and the DOS DnD games like Dark Sun.

That said, I could never get into the Infinity Engine era of rpgs. I agree with most of the points raised, that they are ugly, uninspired, unfunny, and boring. The exception being NWN, I had a bit of fun with some of the fan made modules back in the day, and enjoyed as a quasi-mmo with my friends.
>>
>>3443923
im pretty much the opposite
I see no appeal to arcanum, vampire, or kotor
I did play morrowind but didnt really like it much
>>
>>3454553
>Right, it's so immersive if your brain hasn't been fried by constant hyperstimulation.
boomfag cope, you're literally overplaying every aspect of the game that was literally the bare minimum for every game at the time lol, you're essentially saying
>y-yes the game is boring and stale b-but it's actually a good thing! you're the one that's wrong for playing better games before baldurs gate and then being disappointed!
>>
>>3456344
>literally the bare minimum for every game at the time lol
It wasn't. Work on your shitposting game it's terrible.
>>
>>3444307
>on mass
mutt education
>>
>>3443930
>posts his opinion
>says we should stop posting our opinions
Wow, stellar post.

But seriously, what you're asking is, "Can we stop making threads about broad, sweeping statements?"

Posting opinions is fine. But posting generalizations about how your specific opinion constitutes reality is fucking retarded.

>>3443923
>This is exclusive to wrpgs too since jrpgs have remained mostly consistent.
Are you, perhaps, a retard? How have JRPG's remained "mostly consistent"? How is Final Fantasy 7 consistent with even its recent relatives like Chrono Trigger? Quit being dumb.
>>
>>3458033
Seriously, I can see the consistency. No player agency, robotic and linear story progression, pretermined characters, cutscenes galore, character-driven, mute uncustomizable main character, unexplained anime powers, anime hairstyles, vaguely inspired by gnosticism, "teenagers kill a god" plot, nonsensensical world building, poor lore, hero's journey.
>>
>JRPGs are consistent in being goyslop for dysgenic subhumans.
>>
>>3458139
>as if this isn't what the western gaming industry revolves around
>>
>>3458137
You can apply all of these faults to most crpgs and add shitty art, music, and gameplay on top of that
>>
>>3452230
You say that but once the hyper-stimulating intro ends, you're dealing with goblin vs druid bullshit. Which I think they could've done better, it would've made more sense if you were level 12 on the ship, did all this high-level adventurer shit, THEN the tadpoles depowered you and that's why you're level 1 again after crashing. It also helps to show what all the party members were like before getting pole'd
>>
File: cowboy.jpg (684 KB, 2322x2756)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>3458531
It's 2024. You can drop the "western" part.
>>
I just bought Arcanum for $1.49 on Steam, so I sure hope it's not "unplayable"
>>
>>3443923
For me it's more about whether I played the game in question close to release. Like from your list, I like gothic, but don't like arcanum.
>>
>>3460572
It is if you do not patch it.
>>
>>3458535
Sad that you're trying this hard to sound contrarian.

>add shitty art and music and gameplay on top of that
Well, CRPG's don't use tranime slop as their art style, so they automatically win in that regard, and the gameplay for CRPG's from the 80's is what JRPG's use as the basis for their games, so way to go, you just insulted JRPG's on top of that. Quality post, retardo.
>>
>>3445523
>and you need to read stuff
Why would someone admit this openly? Even anonymously?
>>
>>3443923
I also hate DnD rulesets yes
>>
>>3460734
VA for games is considered the default now, so that opinion is common
>>
>>3460701
how do i patch it / which patch do i get
>>
>>3460953
i dunno lol i just download it from my muscle woman and it just works.
>>
>>3443923
I could never get into the 2 Baldur's Gates, the tone seems very cheesy and the fact that you cannot create a party but need to recruit already established characters (who are often annoying and cheesy) is a turn off. I never progressed much in both games. However I loved the first Icewind Dale where you get full party creation and you are thrown into the action from the start so maybe if I persist I'd come to like the BG games too, dunno, I like the combat in the Infinity Engine even if it's a rtwp clusterfuck.
>>
>>3461168
>the fact that you cannot create a party
You can do this easily. Start a multiplayer game, assign control of however many characters you want, create them, save the game, quit, move the save from your mp save folder to your sp save folder, then reload it and you're good to go.
>>
>>3461175
no
>>
>>3460734
I was playing Bravely Default recently and I actually turned the voices off. I really appreciate when that’s an option. I read much faster than the lines are voiced, so I’m always hearing sentences cut off halfway through and it gets to be pretty annoying.
>voices volume: 0
>text speed: whatever value matches my reading speed
Oh yeah, it’s gamer time.
>>
>>3460750
Just because it's a common opinion doesn't mean it's not any less embarrassing or pathetic.
>>
>>3458535
Are you the annoying fucking nigger who keeps making "le western art bad" posts on /vrpg/ and /vr/?
>>
>>3461168
Cheesy? There's humor in the game but both of them take themselves seriously why are you even on this board if you don't want characters?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.