[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 21307-1695996305.png (315 KB, 400x400)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
Post your work/progress on your soon-to-be RPG masterpiece!
>>
>>3447711
When's the demo day
>>
>>3447723
So far its torn between july / august
Repoasting so maybe other people can help decide this? https://strawpoll.com/jVyG8zp0Gn7
>>
>>3447749
The earlier the better. Augustfags are pussies.
>>
>>3447844
>the earlier the better
you're gonna have to deal with my barebones prototype then
>>
Ligma, are you still around?
How did you get to do this effect in this trailer? https://youtu.be/VoC7JOYimPk
Look interesting. It is difficult to achieve?
>>
What's the best way to make an rpg without having to code?
>>
File: 1707223523166270.png (100 KB, 1361x714)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
>>3448059
>get RPG Maker 2000 or 2003
>start it
>make game
>>
>>3447723
When I finish my assets
>b-bu-
WHEN I FINISH MY ASSETS
>>
>>3448088
same here pal
>>
>>3448069
You left your april fools name up, boomer
>>
>>3448088
>>3448109
IMO making assets separately is a bad idea. Could be anecdotal, I'm sure this doesn't happen to everyone, but I've ran into a few issues before with creating, polishing, finalizing an asset I really like without testing it ingame. Then realizing it looks completely off due to the way it's rendered, or under some effects, or it doesn't play nicely with something else on screen, etc.

Working on them while you work on the game let's you incrementally check how they'll actually be displayed and mesh with everything else which is a lifesaver for making tweaks and not having to redo a whole bunch of work later on.
>>
>>3448155
Did you hit your head?
>>
>>3448155
>Working on them while you work on the game let's you incrementally check how they'll actually be displayed and mesh with everything else which is a lifesaver for making tweaks and not having to redo a whole bunch of work later on.
I mean I do make some while working on the systems and code but at least in my case I will make all reamining assets (mostly sprites) as a final task.
>>
>>3448155
It's best to make placeholders so you can make the game BEFORE replacing them with finalized assets. New ideas will pop up over time and you'll have a good grasp of stuff that you can repurposed to save on time.

t. had to redo the MC's portrait 4-5 times
>>
>>3448158
No but I should stop posting before I have coffee. Looking at it now I completely misread the previous post.
>>
File: gay.jpg (67 KB, 720x404)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>watch Tim Cain video about themepark vs sandbox design
>he claims classes are easier to balance than losely connected skills

https://youtu.be/ezK-WzoNSrc?t=48

if this is true should I not bother including any classes in an RPG
I thought it was the other way around because classes are easier to design but harder to balance since you can't untangle anything
>>
>>3448088

Honestly, I find it's better to make the assets as you need them. If your intro takes place in a town and features three characters, make the town tileset and the three characters first, and then work on the intro.

This might not work for everyone, but this really motivates me, because I'm excited to get the assets done so that I can work on the next part of the game. And at a certain point, you have enough assets that you can cruise for a while before you need to make more.

You don't even need to make the final version of the assets, because you can always work on them more in the future.
>>
>>3448286
Classes are just category names for loosely connected skills.
>character is fighter class
>character learns heal/holy
>character is updated as paladin class

To me, balancing just means creating opportunities for skills to be effective. Like have Undead enemies accompany Holy Skill acquisition.
You could even bootstrap it. If the player is autistic enough to just spam attack the WHOLE GAME, they can fight nothing but the same goblin the whole game. Really lean into that "change yourself to change the world" philosophy.
>The game's not boring; you are.
>>
>>3448286
>you can't untangle anything
What?

Anyway, don't worry too much about balance. Get a good look and a good hook
>>
>>3447957
Do not invoke him.
>>
August it is fellas. First weekend 2-4 if everyones okay with it. Will make the itch jam page when I get back from waging.
>>
File: 1573631815435.png (1.3 MB, 1372x1744)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>3448286
>>
>>3448682
>>
>>3448683
>>
I have a day cycle system on my game and I'm thinking of implementing seasons too although not all areas will have seasons just the mild climate ones. Is doing tileset based changes the usual approach?
>>
File: 1703346837137078.jpg (79 KB, 1024x1005)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>3448684
They can say this kind of nonsense all they want but has diversity in the industry actually produced anything good? Has all these supposedly unique perspectives from non-white, non-straight, non-men actually added up to building anything good? Not just in this industry, but in society as a whole?
Passion, skill and cooperation > diverse representation
Passion is what makes the best games. If you love and enjoy doing it, it'll be great.
>>
File: murder.png (730 KB, 1275x620)
730 KB
730 KB PNG
>>3448564
Beetlejuice. Betelgeuse. Bad al-jawza, is a mistranslation of Yad Al Jawza. "The Hand of Jawza". The Arabic name for the constellation of Orion. The other stars, Rigel, is also a translation of Left Foot of Jawza and Bellatrix is latin for "Warrior"(feminine) because Jawza is also a woman. But was she a warrior herself or from a warrior family?

According to the legend, Jawza was married to a guy name Suhayl. He lived in a house across the river (the milkyway) with his 2 sisters. They all correspond to stars in the sky, you see.

Something bad happened on their wedding night and Jawza was dead in the morning. Nobody knows what happened. Did he break her back during sex? Did he beat her because she wasn't a virgin? Or maybe "she" was a "he"?
In anycase, Suhayl had to run away. Particularly from Jawza's family. Leaving his siblings behind.

The story sort of changes as constellation were renamed I guess. Basically Suhayl ran south. Becoming the star that we call Canopus today. In one version he is chased by the dog Sirius (star in Canis major). But originally this star was one of his sisters that crossed the river to follow him.
While the other sister (the star Procyon in canis minor) stayed home and cried.
In other cultures the dog stars are wolves hunting Orion.
So there's the interpretation that the sisters killed their new sister-in-law, Jawza, for some reason.
Maybe to stop Jawza from killing Suhayl.
>>
>>3448694
What the fuck are you on about.
>>
File: murder most fowl.png (82 KB, 327x149)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>3448699
"Alisa" was supposedly Salik's wife in False Awakening. Who he supposedly killed. It's a looping dream.
We never got "Chapter 3".

There's a line that suggests it was Succour's fault.
The False Spaces previews also hinted at something Succour did. But again...still waiting. Still not released.

Now there's False GamerGater. Alisa got a makeover.
She's apparently working with Succour and Codex, and getting close to Salik. My impression is that she's a bitch that's got Salik wrapped around her finger.

And Succour and Codex are going to "fridge" Alisa, for the sake of male character development.
>>
File: IMG-20240408-WA0008.jpg (52 KB, 640x800)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I'm surprised no one here is working on a card game rpg
>>
>>3448733
Card slop is fake gameplay.
>>
>>3447711
>Post your work/progress on your soon-to-be RPG masterpiece!

Did some bug fixing, polishing, and made additions to the Beat Down battle system.
Getting it ready for use in False GamerGater.

>See Video for demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQwtBKqw2k

>>3447957
>How did you get to do this effect in this trailer?
Feel free to open up my game and see how I did it:
https://sigmasuccour.itch.io/false-spaces

>>3448709
>We never got "Chapter 3".
>But again...still waiting. Still not released.
(T_T) Yes...

>Now there's False GamerGater. Alisa got a makeover.
Verily.

>My impression is that she's a bitch that's got Salik wrapped around her finger.
OH MY GOODNESS! PFSHTSHSCEJHJKSJDLKJ! HOW DID YOU-
Your prediction/analysis skills are shockingly impressive. XD
>>
File: beetlejuice.jpg (24 KB, 480x360)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>3448709
I'd prefer Sigma's character development. In all the games he's just dead weight with no apparent significance.

Did you know, in Arabic astronomy, a number of stars on the horizon (including Suhayl) had the title "al wazn", "the weight". But the true meaning of the "weight" title has been lost to time. It might designate one of a pair of stars.

What's interesting is that, in other mythologies, everything below the horizon is associated with the underworld. Stars that go above and below with the seasons are associated with resurrection myths or trips into hell and back. Like Orpheus went to Hades to get his wife's soul back.
Or, As Orion falls(dead), Scorpio(the killer) raises in the opposite side of the sky.

I believe the star opposite of Suhayl(canopus) is Vega. Which was a swooping vulture before it was a harp constellation. Both names were probably inspired from their small circular motions. Orpheus played the harp.
Vultures clean up dead things. Maybe it's waiting for Suhayl to die or it's cleaning up everything dying in his wake.

Maybe H.P. Lovecraft was onto something concerning Mad Arabs and corpse-eating cults.
>>
>>3448693
>has diversity in the industry actually produced anything good?
Have straight white dudes recently?
>>
>>3448709
Oh my God shut the fuck up, no-one buys that you're not Sigma
>>
File: Battlewindow.png (282 KB, 748x433)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
Good to see that this thread has immediately been derailed by Schizoposting.
>>
>>3448791
Soiboi aren't straight white dudes
>>
>>3448796
born to be derailed
>>
I'm doing it bros. I'm going to be the first anon here to have played Sigma's games. Wish me luck.
>>
File: BTP Ship.png (561 KB, 1806x1018)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
Whew. Finally done tracing Time Fantasy's ships and redoing them so they'll fit with the rest of my sprite work. I'm making a pirate game after all, it'll be weird without ships.
It'll be similar to FF6 airship, you press a button while riding the ship and you'll go inside the ship and talk to your buds and rest, functioning as a mobile home base.
>>
>>3448820
Looks neat the only problem I have is the sky background it doesn't fit the ships perspective. Perhaps making the horizon higher would do the trick.
>>
>>3448839
Yeah I see it now… damn. That’s gonna be a problem. I didn’t make the parallax, it’s one of the defaults in rpg maker mv, and it won’t go up anymore… maybe I’m gonna have to make my own bg, or search for another one. Thanks for the feedback anon.
>>
>>3448849
>make my own bg
I strongly suggest this. Using the rtp realisitc ones usually clashes with the rest of the custom assets (speaking from experience), you can just trace something else too.
>>
>>3448849
>I didn’t make the parallax, it’s one of the defaults in rpg maker mv, and it won’t go up anymore
Zoom it in so you can move it. It's sloppy but it works.
>>
>>3448858
That's a clever idea... But I decided to go with

>>3448851

Looks kinda cheap and crude, but at the very least it doesn't seem to clash... Oh well.
>>
File: BTP Ship 2.png (23 KB, 1153x649)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>3448885
What, why didn't that work?!
>>
>>3448886
Its more consistent but you can surely copy references of waves to make it less liney
>>
File: face down in puddle.gif (323 KB, 498x252)
323 KB
323 KB GIF
I can start learning blender for my models but I still don't have a clue how to code.
>>
I'm gonna need some player agency feedback.
>Your character has amnesia (I apologize for nothing)
>The setting is urban kung fu fantasy
>You have the power to punch good (or kick good, I don't judge)
>Turns out you have some weird syndrome, and dying
>Need to find a cure
>There seem to have been events forty-something years ago, but they don't really connect into your predicament.
What do?
>>
>>3448910
>I apologize for nothing
APOLOGIZE RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>>
>>3448898
Learn coding harder
>>
File: Btp Ship(1).webm (1.71 MB, 1920x1080)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB WEBM
>>3448895
Eh... Goddamn. I've been trying for 40 minutes to copy references of waves, trying to capture their essence. This is friggin hard. I think I'm gonna just have a blank ocean for now till I can figure out something pleasing to look at. I mean it matches with the tileset water.

Anyway, a webm of how you go inside of the ship. You press the shift button, then the details of where you are get put into variables, then you get teleported to a map with a tiny island, and then you teleport to the ship. There's apparently a better way to do this, but whatever, I'll fix it later.
>>
>>3448951
i like how it looks with the water just being plain blue desu
>>
>>3448964
Really? Looks better than the others I’ll agree, but I dunno, I think I can do better somehow, gotta think on this. Oh well, it’s late, and I don’t wanna clog up the thread with my crap. Thank you to everyone for your feedback.
>>
>>3448951
plain blue really works for this style I wouldn't put so much time into making it look perfect yet.
>there's a better way to do this
You can probably just make the party invisible until you're already on the boat, irrc you need to get off the ship before teleporting to be able to move so you're looking at this the right way anyway.
>>
I just got my chest/object system working now I need to populate stuff from database and be able to keep record of opened chests (some items are random and some are permanent).
>>
File: 2024-04-08 14-55-44.webm (216 KB, 960x720)
216 KB
216 KB WEBM
kino thread
>>
File: 2024-04-09 181228.png (91 KB, 1423x1059)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>Post progress!

The voices are getting louder, they are telling me to burn things.

>Who is The Mirrorlord? Is he a good guy?

Ten years ago, I injected ORMUS into my bloodstream for the first time. It turned me into the Ubergestalt; I can see all things in all places and all times. Ten billion years from now, the earth will implode, and down will come X*vius, and He will see that the Light is good, although he fell off a bit towards the end of the series.

>Why are you alive? What did I ever do to deserve this?

Llik Lliik Redrum Redrum Redrum Redrum, and then there were seven thousand, and then there were none.

>B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but

*Kills you in half with a fireball.* Fuck you for existing. GET OUT OF MY HEAD GET OUT OF MY HEAD

False Teeth will be releasing January Seventh. This will be the last you hear from me on this mortal realm.
>>
>get sick
>want to work on game
>can't sit in front of the PC without needing constant bathroom breaks
God dammit.
>>
>>3448286
My game uses an attribute system which borrows from both TeS and Souls games, but frankly is not really like either of those series.
The classes are just pre-packaged + or - attributes with some other features that I'm not sharing.
>>
File: the one who waits.jpg (44 KB, 768x432)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>3449284
Ormus. Monoatomic Gold. Gold teeth. Even gold acupuncture needles makes your corpse a target for grave robbers. Like the ones in Lovecraft's "The Hound". Which was the first mention of the Necronomicon and the cult of corpse eaters.

>That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die.

Who will feast on death's corpse? The one who waits.

But that's someone else's game.
>>
File: materialink.jpg (12 KB, 421x120)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
i always wanted to make a more complex version of materia linking. hated how there just wasnt enough complexity to it.
and using this linked picture as a weak example, where the mod uses 3 in a link, i always thought of variations such as 4 way links, going from weapon to armor, and the like.
but i struggled to find a way to make it work with just eventing, so i gave up on it in RPG maker.
>>
>>3449277
>>3449284
kek
>>
>>3447711
I've posted my alpha before, so it won't reflect some changes I have made like overinflated numbers. Also aware that the first encounter takes too long to complete, along with some missing tutorial things like the importance of crafting.

https://starcrossedstudio.itch.io/scion-demo
>>
>>3449326
Use your time on the toilet as reflecting your ideas, revisiting your plans, and making sure you updated your list of "To Dos"

>>3448286
Checks out for me. With classes, you have a lot of wiggling room in the class, making some stuff stronger and weaker as you want to. Then the final result only has to be balanced with the overall strength of other classes. With loosely connected skills, you have to consider every combination of the skills against every other combination.

That said, this is not a bad thing. Finding cool combinations is engaging to the player. Also as another anon said, balance only has to go as far to make sure there are no options that are utterly useless, or options that are indisputably OP.

Classes are cool too, but the best thing they have going for them is a sense of identity. You would never mix up the knight and the sorcerer for example, the bard and the barbarian, and so on.
>>
>>3449284
>false teeth
KEK
>>
>>3449277
Uhhhhh I think you have a bug there
>>3449284
Oh no its way worse lel
>>
Help me bros I wanna project jump and make a cyberpunk rpg
>>
>>3449401
Have you played Shadow Hearts? The NPC that increases weapon proficiency is an acupuncturist.

You first meet him in this "cannibal" village. But I suppose they weren't really cannibals. The villagers were really nekomata. But the game doesn't call them that or tell you what nekomatas are.

They're like werecats. But they're cats that have turned into humans. This is a transformation that happens after a lot of abuse. The more abuse it suffered the stronger it's spiritual powers are. Necromancy in particular. Hence, the corpse pile in the games.
>>
File: diablo 1 classes.jpg (171 KB, 1600x610)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>3449501
>You would never mix up the knight and the sorcerer for example
that depends on the game though
in diablo 1 I played warrior and learned spells since I didn't wanna play as the sorcerer
>>
>>3448820
Is the entire ship a tileset? Can I see your editor or process?
>>
File: tf_ship_tileA5_west.png (37 KB, 856x768)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>3449608
Alright. It doesn't look like a tileset, but it is.
Original is the left, mines on the right. There's no way I could've done it on my own.
(Pt 1)
>>
File: tf_ship_tileB.png (64 KB, 1572x769)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>3449635
And the second part as well. I dunno what you mean by editor or process sorry, but I'm gonna presume you'll get more out of simply seeing the tilesets yourself.
>>
>>3449635
>>3449637
I like the coloring. It reminds me Mother 3.
>>
>>3448681
Better late than never: https://itch.io/jam/vrpg-demo-day
>>
>>3449779
Thanks anon! Although I chose the style mimicking mother 3 cause it’s easy more than anything else. It’s probably why there’s so many indie games inspired by mother, the style is easy to replicate.
>>
>>3449811
I better not see games from /agdg/ in this. Have some dignity.
>>
>>3449849
There are plenty of people who post in both threads but I won't post it to agdg if thats what you mean.
>>
Why people hate card combat, again? Its practically the best turn based combat there is.
>>
>>3449873
I personally don't like (nor play) games with card combat because it feels too "gamey."

There's too much of an association with table games with them for me and it just takes me out of the game and makes me feel like I'm playing some minigame.

Though I probably think, if the general concept was the same or similar (abstraction of random actions available for each character in that turn) and not actually represented by playing cards I might enjoy it more.
>>
>>3449873
Because it takes mechanics and reduces them down to RNG.
>Mage that can cast Fireball, Ice, Drain, and attack whenever they want, provided they have MP/etc
vs
>Mage that can cast Fireball, Ice, Drain and attack, but only if they got lucky and drew the cards that allow them to do so
One provides the player tools and asks them to strategize and make the correct choices. The other provides the player A CHANCE to be allowed to make the correct choices, even if they know exactly what the correct choices are.
It's bullshit. It's not real gameplay. It cheats people who are good at the game out of the chance to demonstrate their ability. It is lazy design that rewards gaming statistics instead of actually playing the game.
There are plenty of other random/RNG factors that can add excitement to an RPG, but gating the player's ability to use skills and items behind whether they drew the correct card to do so is NOT exciting. It is possible that it creates psychological responses that trick people into thinking they're having fun/addicted, but it is dishonest.
>>
>>3449880
This I can understand, fair. Basically, its not immersive to the game itself, yeah.

>>3449882
This one, tho. What other RNG factors? I think random options at the start of the turn is practically the only rng that doesnt feel go into "I lost, but there was no fault of mine, its stpid that I miss with 85% chance to hit"
>>
>>3449882
Same can be said about any game with RNG though, for the majority of RPGs. Choosing to attack, or cast a spell, etc. doesn't guarantee damage, all it does is provide a chance for that action to happen successfully or not.

Unless all damage is flat, you have no critical effects, and all attacks/spells/etc. are always guaranteed to hit / not fizzle.

I can understand the reasoning behind card based actions. There is some level of strategy there, ie a good player has to not only be able to tell apart the best choice out of a handful in any given situation, but also be able to tell the least bad choice out of a random handful and plan for the worst (RNG not being in their favor.) It can make for some tense moments trying to stay in the battle with unfavorable hands while you wait for the odds to come back onto your side, instead of just throwing in the towel when you get a bad set of cards. And abstractly, it can potentially abstract the heat and chaos of a battle better than a turn based system where you can pick the same actions every round, your mage might not be in a position where he can always cast the same spell, or fighter can make the same attack, if the battle is hectic and people are moving around.
>>
>>3449888
>I think random options at the start of the turn is practically the only rng that doesnt feel go into
What part of
>"I lost, but there was no fault of mine, it's stupid that I didn't draw the Blizzard card when 85% of my deck is Blizzard cards."
sounds any better?
I hate to take a reductionist approach to this, but if you're in game design, that is literally your job. You have to be aware of what certain game design choices bring to the table and understand that card shit is just a coin toss with extra steps. You are presenting the player with a % minimum threshold to win in general, and providing the player a random chance to possible push their % over that win/lose threshold.
How many steps do you want to put between the player and finding out if they flipped heads instead of tails? How many steps and in what fashion does it take to fool players into thinking that their wins/losses were their own fault and not the game's?
Go and study a multitude of card games in-depth. Traditional card games played at the table. Video card games. Modern ones that push the roguelite angle and other shit. Write down your findings and be as objective as possible. You will find the same answers at the end of each road you walk.
If you are OK with knowing that you are making a bullshit game with fake gameplay, then by all means, make a card game.
>>3449891
There is a fundamental difference in selecting an action from all your available ones and weighing whether it is worth using based on factors like damage ranges/accuracy/other risks, and your available actions being limited by the luck of the draw on a given round (while still being subject to the same risks). It's nothing more than pointless extra steps.
>>
>>3449894
>There is a fundamental difference in selecting an action from all your available ones and weighing whether it is worth using based on factors like damage ranges/accuracy/other risks, and your available actions being limited by the luck of the draw on a given round (while still being subject to the same risks). It's nothing more than pointless extra steps.
It all depends on how the game is balanced, what the potential card options are for every hand. Comparing it to "real" card games is not really fair because their intentions for the players are completely different.

Imagine two scenarios, one where you know the best outcome is always casting some elemental based attack on some particular enemy. The other one you have random options that don't include your needed attack, but has some other ones, some defense cards, some utility cards. The fun in the latter is figuring out which option is the best one even if it's non-optimal. Do you risk using a less efficient attack, that may not kill the enemy? Or play into defense / some utility modifier that may let you survive longer and get a better hand?

Even in tabletop games player characters may be unable to use the "best" potential action on any given turn through no fault of their own, through some chance of the dice dictating where or what enemies exist.
>>
>>3449912
>Comparing it to "real" card games is not really fair because their intentions for the players are completely different.
Come back once you've actually done what I told you to do and studied a bunch of card games and how they function on a very raw, fundamental level.
>>
>>3449918
What's your actual point you think you're making with this?

You can't say, "go and study X and you will know the answer" without putting any argument behind it, you just come off as one who does not really know what he's trying to say but still wants to come off as intelligent saying it.

The goal of a traditional card game is very different. Traditional table games are designed around "fair" true winning odds near 50/50, with the intended goal of slowly siphoning off money through "unfair" actual payout odds on a win for the side betting (whether you win or lose is generally fair but you are not fairly compensated for winning hands)

The goal in a random action based card game would be to move the potential chance of failing an action from the die roll taken when you select it to the die roll taken when dealing out a hand of potential actions the player can take. You're not aiming to replicate traditional card games, much in the same way taking an action in a turn based game can have 90%/10% odds to "win/lose" you can redesign a table game to have similar odds or design a random action based game to do the same. Just instead of forcing the player to pick from one set of hard coded actions every time, you're forcing them to pick out of a pool that changes turn to turn.

And unlike a turn based game, that 10% "lose" where you missed, or fizzled, doesn't just play out with no further player input, they can choose to make up for it by picking the best of their worst options and having further strategy in how they take or try to turn around the loss.

I think you're getting too hung up on the visual cards aspect as it relates to traditional games. What you said here:
> You are presenting the player with a % minimum threshold to win in general, and providing the player a random chance to possible push their % over that win/lose threshold.
Applies just as much to turn based games with random hits/criticals/fumbles/fizzles as it does to anything.
>>
>>3449873
the problem is that there isn't a finite amount of cards divided between players.
That makes the standard 52 card deck feel fair, because you know that your opponent can't have certain cards, because you're holding them, and you can play the opponent as part of your strategy, the computer will never have to go home to his wife and kids to explain where their savings went.
Card based combat feels like cheating, just like dice based combat.
The risks aren't clear enough, the odds of slipping the noose aren't there.
maybe DnD would feel more fair if they did play it with a deck of 52, and you got to hold a hand and decide what you play, and have the DM counter you, so you can save your trump cards and burn your lesser ones.
With dice and magic cards you can roll/hold only 1s and land, never having what you need or wasting your high value assets on trash rolls
>>
File: ShuSketch.png (108 KB, 348x685)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>3447711
I'm remaking the Status Menu Portraits for my playable Characters.
First up is the Protagonist. Going to color it either later or tomorrow.
>>
>>3448820
>>3449635
Looks good, but the carved figurehead's boobs need to be way, WAY bigger.
>>
>>3449894
If you actually would study game design (im doing here appeal to authority, btw), prominent game designers(tm) argue, that there is 2 types of RNG, one that gives you choices, and one that alters the outcome of choice. And the second one is "unfair", while the first one gives you the ability to choose. With your reasoning, if encounter randomly has stronger opponent (or not randomly, but you didnt know beforehand), you are being cheated out of easier encounter ? ?
???
?
Ive started to think that people who against "Card" combat just very biased for whatever reason. This type of combat is the best way to spice up it, make it varied enough, that even the same encounter can feel and play very differently.
>>
>>3450583
Lol. Good idea anon. Ive been just mindlessly tracing the tileset, havent been thinking about those bigger picture issues like booba size. I'll do it when i get home.
>>
>post all your ideas before you release your game!
nice try
>>
>>3448733
>I'm surprised no one here is working on a card game rpg
I made a 15 min one
https://cerealwaterfork.itch.io/of-mind-and-life
>>
File: 1554952845860.gif (1.49 MB, 346x261)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>3450616
Hell yeah, brother.
>>
>godot
I'm trying to figure out what should the save file keep track of for maps. These are things rpg would do baseline so I scratch my head thinking whats the standard. So far I have:
>unique chest/items
>player location
>player coordinates
But I can't think of anything else. Perhaps strong bosses defeated? Secret dungeons unlocked?
>>
>>3450796
>rpg would
Rpg maker I meant
>>
Any guides to get started with game design that isn't RPGmaker?
>>
File: Booba.png (1 KB, 48x72)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>3450660
>>3450583
Here you go. Gave her huge honkers, as well as made her better looking in general
>>
File: bigger.png (190 KB, 500x329)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>3450872
>>
>>3450863
I went on skillshare once hoping they might have a class. Nope. Just rpg maker tutorials.
>>
Can you make money from pirated rpg maker and exporting your game with it?
>>
>>3450863
I strongly recommend edx CS50 gamedev on youtube which shows the basics of game design. It starts with pong, ramps up in complexity and goes into detail for OOP and DOP which are the basis of rpgs. One of the lectures is about a zeldalike game and the other a pokemonlike (which is in essence a jrpg).
>>
>>3450933
I've ran out of room anon... Although maybe I could put her in a different position on the tileset...
>>
>>3450872
>huge honkers
Your funding from Davos has been cut off.
>>
>>3450990
Just make an event tile with the larger booba and place it there. Not everything has to be part of the tileset.
>>
Hereditary alopecia summon.
With sound: https://webmshare.com/play/gOMym
Slow alt link: https://files.catbox.moe/8h8tcd.webm
>>
>>3449584
I meant like you won't mistake one for the other, and clearly know which is which.
>>
>>3447711
>Update on False GamerGater

All the content and systems are in, from script to game. Now I start adding sound effects, and start polishing the game.
>>
>>3451241
Unbelievably cringe
>>
>>3451241
>Brown girl enthusiastic over dead babies
>Danger hair that talks like a child
>Muslim protagonist
>Game is a metaphor for something else
This is kinda woke ngl
>>
File: shawn.gif (1.99 MB, 250x158)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>3450872
>huge
I guess by normie standards... But I shouldn't complain. You are a chad and a gentleman for humouring me.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with multiplayer in RPG maker? I know plug ins exist, how bad are they? How accessible are they?
>>
>>3451716
No problem sir. Generally good advice as woell, she looks much nicer now cause of your input.
>>3451020
Good idea, but I dunno. Not really into cow tits. The booba she does have is to my tastes
>>
>>3449779
It looks nothing like mother 3
>>
>>3448069
Why those 2 specifically?
>>
File: Killotine.gif (1.66 MB, 180x215)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB GIF
Meet Bloodless Coo, a broadly harmless enemy that has no offensive capabilities and casts a spell called "Good Intentions" that accomplishes nothing. When attacked, it transforms into Coo D'etat, which casts "Affect Change" and murders you immediately.
>>
File: file.png (2.66 MB, 1889x906)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB PNG
>Play Sigma's first game
>Somehow clip-thru the wall and end up on the roof, softlocking me from finishing the game
Great game Sigma!
>>
>>3451795
As a die-hard fan of cow tits... probably I should just make my own RPG.
>>
>>3452097
Wow Sigma really uglified that environment he should be taken out back and shot. Oh, wait - that's just what he thinks should happen to women and gays who work in games.
>>
>>3452072
love these sprites. fun designs as always.
>>
File: New Gyay.gif (493 KB, 392x272)
493 KB
493 KB GIF
>>3452238
Thanks, pal. I'm hoping that there's enough variety that it kind of helps drown out some of the friction of random encounters, because every encounter should have something new or fun going on
>>
>>3452244
eyemurgandr?
>>
>>3452246
Cute, but you're being too clever. It's a See Serpent
>>
File: 1659448947870395.png (67 KB, 449x1197)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>3452247
>See Serpent
>>
File: 2024-04-12 12-58-22.webm (444 KB, 960x720)
444 KB
444 KB WEBM
oh yeah, it's all coming together
>>
File: 1698150693338025.png (166 KB, 932x240)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>3452328
Your auto linebreaker is broken bro
Why not do all the calculations/filling the text box prior to displaying it to avoid weird shit like this?
>>
>>3452330
this came up in conversation literally five minutes ago; we're gonna fix it dw
>>
>>3452328
As always great content.
>>
File: puddles.webm (584 KB, 1280x720)
584 KB
584 KB WEBM
added breakable walls

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2633460/
>>
File: english_slit.png (30 KB, 480x320)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>3452330
Why using auto line breaker?
I break lines by hand, it improves the readability a lot.
It's about supporting multiple aspect ratios?
>>
>>3452505
hypocrite.
>>
File: 1706232726952696.webm (1.7 MB, 640x480)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB WEBM
>>3452505
Because I got tired of having to do it all manually, especially when players can enter names of variable widths that I don't want to W test. With auto line breaking, you can set shit up however you want while still having the ability to manually break lines if necessary. You no longer think on a line-by-line basis for "will this fit" but rather on a text box by text box basis, which is much, much nicer.
>>
>>3452366
arigatou
>>
>>3452370
Pretty good anon. Reminds me of the old zelda games
>>
File: weblogo2.jpg (162 KB, 1000x491)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
I've got a text base game, if those are allowed here. About halfway done so far (300,000 words) but the demo ends on a good climax.

https://dashingdon.com/play/cultivator-anon/aura-clash/mygame/
>>
File: hereditary_alopecia.png (8 KB, 480x320)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>3452546
wat
>>3452560
Oh, yeah, I don't have variable width names, manual line breaking can be a pita with them.
>>
>>3447711

Playfully made this piece while working on the game's title-screen.
Couldn't fit it anywhere in the game, so I put it up as a banner on the game's page.
> See Screenshot

>>3451407
>This is kinda woke ngl
I'm glad that impression is being made. Because I want everyone to try the game. It'll be fun!

>>3452097
>Great game Sigma!
Thank you thank you!
My initial games are... a bit buggy & unoptimized. (T_T)
You'll see the improvement as you play each game.
>>
test
>>
Working on a shmup JRPG. Audio is still wonky as hell and I'm working on it. Need some feedback on game feel.
https://casual-costa.itch.io/raptors-rockets
>>
File: eventing vs scripting.png (263 KB, 668x1248)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
what makes more sense to get anywhere with RPGMaker, eventing or scripting?
should I even bother with scripting, it would probably end up becoming ravioli or pizza knowing me
eventing sounds easier but I can't imagine I can get a battle system down with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz0OtbsgHmI

I think I hate coding before even written a single line and strongly opposed to it
I can't understood the concept behind it either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvq25PU9xHI

I can't help myself and need to categorize things but that's not coding
it's easy and it makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDkxToyrBk
>>
>>3453754
I don't understand the point the image is trying to make. None of those dominions sound good.
>>
>>3453754
If you know ruby/js then by all means, go for scripting.
If you're using 2k/3, eventing is your only option.
You can still keep things compartmentalized and clean in eventing if you know what you're doing and make judicious use of common events as routines, making those routines take variable parameters to suit different needs, using temporary variables/scratch space to carry out tasks, etc.
>>
>>3453763
they do sound delicious, however
>>
Is your game doomed to become shovelware if developed with rpgmaker?
>>
>>3453853
no, there's plenty of rpg maker games that are decently well-known by gamers.
>>
>>3453853
Make it freeware first and them do a remake that's paid.
>>
>>3453853
If you're making a regular jrpg? Yeah.
>>
>>3453853
If you have to ask, then yes
>>
>>3453185
This is pretty uglified, did SBI force you to change your game?
>>
>>3453408
Well for me at least it works really slow from web, any chance you have a pc build?
>>
File: bainok - tellme.webm (1.16 MB, 1920x1080)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB WEBM
Question; is it weird to be able to just ask characters to tell about themselves? (Don't mind the doctor having no sprite)
I feel it is a bit weird, but the alternative is having much less interaction with the world and characters.
>>
>>3454396
>I feel it is a bit weird
On a first interaction absolutely. Maybe if its a character you've seen several times then it stops being weird. Even then 'tell me about yourself' feels like a job interview question. I'm sure you can think better small talk questions.
>>
>>3454513
Thank you for your confidence in me.
>>
what the hell. I can't sign in to github or itch because the verification code can't deliver before it expires.
>>
>>3454629
https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/118929
>>
>>3452120
I expect to see progress within the next week, then. Godspeed to you, anon!
>>
>>3454396
>I feel it is a bit weird, but the alternative is having much less interaction with the world and characters.
Does the doctor play a significant role in the story? Are there any sidequests as an incentive to speak to him more than once? If not, you don't need to flesh him out. The NPC who says "Welcome to our village" or "Do you want to save?" only needs a backstory if you plan on using them for something else, otherwise, you risk overwhelming the player with irrelevant flavor text. There are ways to handle flavor text, like how Ace Attorney games use an investigative context as an incentive to be through as you filter information and Paper Mario games have the tattle command for NPC trivia and its bestiary.

If it were me, I would replace that with an "About my checkup" option where the doctor shows curiosity about what happened to you and he ends up talking a bit about himself in the process. This would use the main plot as a hook to flesh him out in a way that feels more organic. I was also looking at your narration and it's telling instead of showing. I would recommend writing it while thinking about your MC's five senses, sorta like this:
>As you enter the clinic, a distinct scent of bleach and sanitizers draws you in. You look around, noticing a figure standing in the middle of the room. As you come closer, you hear the sounds of paper,
Of course, this is just an example. You'll know these characters better than me.
>>
>>3453185
>claims to want pholosophicsl and moral diversity
>wants to murder gays
>blocks and ignores everyone who calls him on this
Hypocrite
>>
>>3454683
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, doc matters. You meet him in the prologue very briefly, but that part already stretched too long, so he makes a really short appearance.

You are right, my writing is a bit telling instead of showing. My mind is too much in the "there will be proper character art here later" mindset. I am also trying to keep in mind the amount of text the players have to go through before they can get to some action.
>>
>>3454747
Keep the intro simple. It just needs to introduce the conflict and give the player a general idea of who and where they are. If you need a point of reference, think about how JRPG towns are often filled with completely optional dialogue while 1-2 NPCs are actually moving the plot forward.
>>
>>3453408
>shmup JRPG
Cringe, stop trying to copy Toby.
>>
>>3454866
It felt more like a ripoff of Candice DeBébé's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle than a ripoff of Undertale if I'm honest
Just without the fabulous music
>>
>>3454396

The character's walk animation is too slow for how fast he walks. It looks like he's sliding across the floor. Speed up the animation to match his actual speed.
>>
>>3452560

bro I want to play this so bad
>>
>>3454875
I had to go look that up but wtf. This shit has Scott Cawthon levels of SOVL.
>>
>>3454703
Amazing. A year later and you're still seething under his spirit pressure.
>>
>>3455050
He has no spirit pressure. Cowards and hypocrites have nothing
>>
File: Bankai Boku no Pico.jpg (322 KB, 1024x1024)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>3455078
You don't get banned from the soul society for "nothing"
>>
>small lag spike everytime I spawn events on map
>event spawner consists of a for loop and inserting n amount of events per event table
>some instructions inside the event spawner cost a lot of time
>turns out inserting 5ms wait time between loops fixes the lag spike
Is it because the execution of the event spawner function jams the process queue? So adding time between those frees more space in the queue for physics processing?
I recall this was a thing in rpgmaker but it seems all engines work in the same way.
>>
File: pomaos fruitboxing.webm (1.02 MB, 1018x572)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB WEBM
>>3447711
I made an RPG today (I think)

https://github.com/Packmanager9/fruitboxing
>>
>>3455093
We all know what he got banned for. Stop pretending.
>>
>>3455247
I don't, please tell us.
>>
>>3455256
Being a consistently awful human being. He has repeatedly publicly advocated for homosexuals to be executed. The moderation team I'm sure were waiting for any infraction whatsoever, which he happily provided when he posted the original content of an edited post to harrass a member of the forums. The man is a freak and a bigot and should not be tolerated, every time he shows up in one of these threads it turns to shit.
>>
>>3455320
Woah, did he make a game about all that?
Has he executed any homosexuals (in the game)?
>>
>>3455358
Diversity of everything except opinion. Classic leftards. Also those digits, damn son.
>>
>>3455358
Yes. In his game where you murder your way through a train several of the people you kill are homosexual community members.
>>3455372
Its not about left or right. I wish he'd talk about it, a dialogue would make it more acceptable but instead he scurries away like an insect. I'd respect him if he spoke in a straightforward way, but he tries to slime his way out if accountability with doublespeak. It's pathetic. I thought people who hated leftards also hated pathetic cloying doublespeak?
>>
>>3455381
If he were at least honest, he would be pretty based ngl.
>>
>>3455383
I absolutely agree and I'm one of his biggest detractors. I don't care what he thinks but the way he goes about expressing it is absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>3455093
>Sigma fanboy uses AI Sloppa to defend his golden calf, just like Sigma uses in his actual game
Like clockwork.
>>
>>3455320
>He has repeatedly publicly advocated for homosexuals to be executed
Um Based?
>>
>>3455404
>Sigma fanboy
No such thing. It's just Sigma pretending to be someone else, you retard.
>>
This guy is a schizo and a lolcow. But by no means the dishonest shills on the RPGMaker forums are any better than him. They're busybodies bootlickers who like to patrol communities. They should fuck off.
>>
File: Termighty.gif (594 KB, 180x224)
594 KB
594 KB GIF
Remember progress? That was cool. Why does every thread turn into this, now?
>>
>>3447711

Made the title-screen, a simple in-game menu. And continuing to polish the GamerGate 2 game.

Also, here is how the game opens up:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b5ko7Qj2xeY
>Watch Video

>>3455093
>from the soul society-
Pfft~ HAHA! XD (For the bleach references, style. And that file name... )
Also veeery nice hair! Kudos to you on getting that right.
>>
File: woosh.webm (307 KB, 1920x1080)
307 KB
307 KB WEBM
>>3454789
I've been keeping it below ten minutes, and that includes mucking about with the tutorial. It has the setup for the main quest as well.

>>3454903
Mistakes might have been made. But thanks for the suggestion I'll work on it.
>>
>>3455477
God, this is completely insufferable. It's such a shame you use your remarkable talent for twisting the engine into interesting shapes for such drivel.
>>
>>3455506
>remarkable talent for twisting the engine
you mean his remarkable talent for throwing other people's pre-made plugins at the engine until it does something that looks interesting. You're a fool if you think Ligma Fuccour is doing any of the heavy lifting himself.
>>
File: frufish2.png (50 KB, 1394x1394)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>3455169
I meant to link the live game
https://pricklypeargames.itch.io/fruitboxing
>>
>>3455510
Oh, I don't, but imagine if he actually made games instead of mental rants that make him look like a pure villain
>>
>>3455453
would
>>
>>3455548
Cleve would use his 'Thal blood powers to sort this mfer out.
>>
>>3455320
Meaning? Are you paying attention to what you're saying?
>>
>>3455740
Its a pretty easy post to follow. Explains his pattern of behaviour and what got him banned.
>>
Busted.

With sound: https://files.catbox.moe/ly8htl.webm
Alt link: https://files.catbox.moe/ly8htl.webm
>>
>>3456165
Ooops, fist sound link: https://webmshare.com/play/dGRWw
>>
>>3456165
Kek
>>
>steady progress for over a month
>still not near done on systems to start level and encounter design
How do you deal with burnout bros? I like to go jogging to clear my mind
>>
File: 1000055101.png (967 KB, 832x1216)
967 KB
967 KB PNG
i am using vx ace. i want a super simplistic action combat system. any advice? like press a button to attack a thing in front of you levels of simple. no combo system no zelda throwable items. any advice?
>>
File: 1000055078.png (141 KB, 459x502)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
why does fple take over my entire desktop when exiting fullscreen? locks shit up for a minute or two until it reloads file explorer. i cant release a game like this.
>>
>>3456214
>fple
Never heard of this what is it?
>>
>>3456219
https://rgss-factory.net/2013/09/10/ace-fple-ace-first-person-labyrinth-explorer/

first person labyrinth explorer. an xp plugin that has been maintained and ported forward to newer versions of rpgmaker at least up to mv
>>
>>3456213
There are certainly scripts for that.
Basically link to the past without throwing.
>>
>>3456241
yeah, i couldnt find any that were really simple all the ones i saw had loads of extra bs tacked on. i know beggars cant be choosers but still
>>
>>3456213
I mean why not make the game in another engine if it's going to be a simple zelda like game? Godot has tons of tutorials on that.
>>
>>3456245
Oh, most scripts are dead end.
Try engines. Dropped the names, Victor, saris? There are a bunch.
Honestly, the cheapest and fastest way is to get a bunch of scripts and engines and code it yourself from scratch with snippets found in the before mentioned.
>>
File: 1000055200.png (917 KB, 1080x1892)
917 KB
917 KB PNG
>>3456269
yeah you are probably right. also i apologize i may have misunderstood part of your post. are you talking about this guy? i havent heard of him but i will check him out if he does vids about gamedev shit
>>
>>3456304
https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-vx-ace/
>spoon fed
Vx ace has several engines, solaris aso

No, I strongly disadvise any gamedev tubers. Haven't seen a single good vid so far.
>>
>progress, uh... finds a way
>>
File: bad_tankMove_event.png (50 KB, 951x555)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
How to make tank controls so I can make a first person dungeon crawler work?
It barely works but most times it does not go the correct direction and you will strafe when you are trying to turn. This has been a problem since the beginning.
>I have discovered a new problem. If you hold a direction for about 3 seconds, you will begin moving in that direction, even if it isn't the direction you're facing. I have no explanation for this.
>>
>>3456788
Bruh... why aren't you just doing
>one step forward
for your forward movement?
There's no need for the conditional stuff at all there.
Start by simplifying things down to this and you'll find that your other problems disappear as well.
>>
File: bad_tankMove_turn.png (42 KB, 606x833)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>3456788
Getting mixed up. The first one is simply to move in the direction you face but sometimes you strafe in any direction you press.
This is the event to turn. I accidentally set the other one to actionbutton but both are parallelproc. At the bottom of event has the same pattern for right arrow. This is the same one that has the problem mentioned in greentext.
>>
File: 1688026300158505.png (263 KB, 2976x2124)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
>>3456807
Don't take this as the "right way" to do this, but this is how I have traditionally handled the controls for 3D dungeons when doing my own stuff.
I need to revisit it and just jam it all into commons.
>>
Upgradable weapons in a jrpg yay or nay
>>
>>3456788
when you say 1st person, are u using a script? or are you just slapping on pictures based on ID/direction?
>>
>>3456857
Haven't gotten to that part yet, sorry...
I've been told to use Terrain IDs and not just make a picture for each direction on every single tile, but I haven't tried it yet. No scripts. This is pure vanilla from steam version.
>>
>>3456838
What kind of upgrade?
>>
File: 1695191788295215.gif (32 KB, 320x240)
32 KB
32 KB GIF
>>3456865
Here's you a hint for how to approach it. Store as many terrain IDs as you want visibility and draw them like this.
>>
>>3456876
I was lowkey hoping for inspiration.
Either mods that increase certain aspects of a weapon (damage, accuracy, ...) or improve the weapon as a whole (+1, +2,...). Both seem overused.
>>
>>3456818
>>3456807
>>3456788
>>3456880
Man, the level of perversion and stubbornness people are willing to go to design and implement something in an environment it was not originally meant to support just astounds me sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive, I'm frequently surprised by the kind of cool shit people are able to pull off in RPGmaker or other drag and drop or event/scripting focused "beginner" oriented engines or toolsets.

But I kind of feel like if the point is if you're a beginner trying to make games that work, and not a hobbyist who intentionally gets pleasure from pushing a toolset to it's limit, you'd be way better served learning an actual programming language, programming theory and concepts and doing this yourself in a proper engine or with some multimedia library instead of spending hours learning some arcane approach to limited software.
>>
>>3456884
I think it needs to be compatible with whatever progression you're aiming for. Like, if your game has swords 1 through 6 that offer higher attack stats, adding upgrades that increase damage would be redundant. If the game has elemental damage, you could have upgrades related to that, like a sword that does electric damage and/or paralysis, although that could also work as its own standalone weapon. Finally, there are changes like higher or lower speed and access to special spells. Like, you have sword 1 that does less damage than sword 2 but equipping an upgraded sword 1 does a bit more damage (less than sword 2) and gives your physical attacker access to a defense lowering spell or special attack. So, you get the choice between raw, reliable damage and less damage with status versatility.
>>
File: 1704769402402259.png (322 KB, 792x410)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>3456894
>>
>>3456894
They just want to show off their 1337 programming skillz.
>>
>>3453853
tl;dr's

> Runtime Package only
Immediately obvious shovelware

> RTP but has "attractive" anime girls behind a text box
Immediately obvious porno shovelware

> Custom graphics, sound, music... But default menus and/or combat system, but also an absence of "attractive" anime girls.
Cautious paranoia

> Custom combat system, custom menu systems, menu options for volume/keybinding, 100% custom /original graphics /sound /music
> Possibly also per-pixel movement or jumping script and other shit
You've reached the "Could be any other steam game" level and are now free of the RPG Maker curse... Then the store user scrolls past because the game didn't interest them and/or was given zero advertisement to draw attention to it.

Or you fucked up and put shitty screenshots on the page, or in the wrong order.
> Could post any single image to demonstrate what their game is
> Chooses a user interface shot for the *first* one on the search page
> Interface obviously relays information that this game plays like ones i don't like
Happens more times than i can count.
>>
File: UI testing.png (39 KB, 1920x1080)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Settled on a UI for my mecha CRPG.
>>
I'm trying to look for something, but don't know how to articulate it. What's the word to look for algorithmic patterns, like checkerboards, dithering, etc.?
>>
>>3456987
Procedural might be what you want.
>>
>>3456954
SOUL
>>
>>3456838
I recall playing shinning force ds once and it had this weapon tree system which was pretty cool. That and wow Legion weapons come to mind.
>>
>>3456894
Limits breed creativity. I agree its subpar and unnecesary but its good mental exercise. As long as people aren't trying to make full games on this, but its good for a first project.
>>
File: title.png (48 KB, 1920x1080)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>3457064
Thanks, here's the title logo
It's inspired by an old RPG platformer
>>
>>3457122
That's fair and I can definitely see the appeal behind that, if you're already not a novice and want a challenge for fun.

I don't want to dog on that anon too much, everyone was a beginner at one point and has to start somewhere, but I feel like, if he can't figure out something as simple as translating 4 input keys to cardinal directions without asking for help online, he shouldn't be banging his head against trying to implement this in something as shitty to program in as that but instead picking up a book on programming basics and learning how to put together simple logic.

It doesn't help that the toolset is unintuitive enough to him where he can't be sure if it's his logic that's wrong or if he's not using the options for events correctly.
>>
>>3457125
Really nice anon.
>>
I'm making a mix of normal level design and procedural generation (static maps but randomly spawned events and some tiles). Will be open world but without scalling, players can enter new areas that could be more challenging at their own risk. What are games that do this that I can take a look for reference?
>>
>>3456897
I don't have 35 versions of longsword (it's idiotic, really). I have 3 weapons, like estoc, sabre and broadsword and they deal respective elemental damage. Armor consists of various material and one can mix and match.
Personally I feel only 3 weapons without variation or progression is a little lame.
>weapon gives abilities
Already have implemented, but 8 could add something like sabre b improves laser slash or something.
>versatility
Good point, I'll think of more examples.

>>3457119
Wil check out shinning force and, if desperate enough, wow legion.
>>
>>3457158
>desperate enough, wow legion.
No need to play it though just check in wowhead how the system works (used to work) for ideas
>>
>>3456954
Very soul as that other anon said.
>>
>>3457119
I looked it up. It's very basic and somewhat similar to Dd2.
Good find!
>>
>>3456954
It's cool. Lot of black though.
>>
>>3457160
Was curious and checked it out.
Basically unique endgear with runes for personalization.
(removable) attachments are an evergreen mechanic. Just not sure how one would attach anything meaningful to a sabre.
>>
File: 1694891781157164.jpg (70 KB, 735x905)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
How dificult would be to adapt a massive story with at least 100 chapters so far in my google docs?
>>
>>3457277
Ask mongoldev hes doing the same but with 6000 pages
>>
>>3457278
Really ridiculous
>>
>>3457277
What's the story anon?
>>
>>3457299
Hero wakes up on the world and has to recollect 10 crystals from the 10 kingdoms, until he unlock the floating evil island, then goes and kill the demon lord.

Also he seggs all the female npcs in the story.
>>
colored text is a thing now. this means that major bosses will no longer shout their names in all-caps

>>3456954
sovl
>>
>>3456931
>Interface obviously relays information that this game plays like ones i don't like
But that's a good thing though, isn't it? Not everything is for everyone. I don't want someone to buy my turn-based rpg, and leave negative reviews because it wasn't an fps.
>>
>>3447711

Adding some extra content & interactions, as I continue to polish the game.
> See Screenshot
>>
>>3457491
>But that's a good thing though, isn't it
Literally 10/10
>>
File: toads.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>3456894
>Don't get me wrong, it's impressive
what is impressive about FPS slop robbing you of options

>pushing a toolset to it's limit
https://youtu.be/EX9qBRJIOes?t=81

that frog game was also nice but I don't think it was made in rpg maker and is probably not RPG
it was posted somewhere on this site in one of the dev threads
>>
File: RTP.webm (128 KB, 706x480)
128 KB
128 KB WEBM
>>3456931
>Runtime Package only
>Immediately obvious shovelware
whats wrong with the RTP I like it
>>
>>3457539
mostly the chipsets, they all look completely out of sync - no shadows, etc so they just look out of place universally
>>
>>3457602
People who investigate RPG Maker's "Quality Assurance" tend to disappear.
>>
>>3457491
>>3457511
To rephrase outside of the context of videogames:
imagine a book with a cover title that says "The big book filled with images of big piles of shit." with stink-lines radiating from the word 'shit', no one is going to open that book up and actually check if there really is images of big piles of literal shit falling out of anuses... or if the title is actually a humorous lie with something else inside like images of news media talking heads or popular celebrities and political figures from around the world.

So, back to videogames, if we assume that
> "Default RPG Maker bad."
and that we then see
> "Default RPG Maker interface."
we would come to the conclusion that the game is just another bad RPG Maker game and ignore it.

Meanwhile, the game could technically be something like Yume Nikki, which might be something that the player might actually want to play and would enjoy.
>>
>>3457501
Give up already you fucking loser
>>
>>3457685
If you like, we can lobby to ban rpg maker threads from /vrpg/ entirely.
>>
>>3456931
Most of this is bullshit. People run away from the RTP not because is the RTP, it's because the RTP SUCKS. It's ugly, it's uninspired, it's generic, it's dull. There's not a single good thing about the RTP and the incompetent grifters at the RPGMaker developing studio haven't got the memo. Because they keep producing the same ugly trash nobody likes year after year. It's been almost a decade and those useless bums haven't fix it yet.

Good and popular games made in RPGMaker don't change anything particularly complex about the engine. They just make their own graphics with their own story, sometimes they use the combat system and sometimes they removed it altogether because they don't fit the games genre. Nobody cares about your epic roguelike with quantum mechanics procedural generation, because the kind of people who want that shit already have AAA games for it. You're not going to win the production value race with your tiny budget and your half-baked tech skills you think you have.
>>
>>3457822
I'd rather that than have SigmaSuccour here, honestly.
>>
File: rinoa.jpg (78 KB, 640x480)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>3448787
ff8-kun, that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTulyOegR4o
>>
File: gamblerf.png (1 KB, 57x69)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>3449941
>>3449912

I'm with you anon, card games are fun and can be strategic as fuck. But I do enjoy the block/dodge system found in FFT and similar games as well.

>There is no such thing as chance. What people refer to as luck, is rather their inability to understand the causal relationship between an action and the result thereof.
- Gambler class in my indie SRPG
>>
>>3457973
>I remember you
Release when?
>>
>>3457973
>quote
Thats actually what I've always believed, pretty cool to see others look at it this way.
>>
File: Seeker.png (6 KB, 74x64)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>3457983
kek, I got most of the code bits figured out in the past weeks/months which is great, but I have been spending time trying to balance and design skills for each of the 36 classes, which was more work than I initially expected.

Rn, I am just putting in the base level code for each skill, and when that is done will be doing the same with states, then passives, counters, and pincers, and from there should be able to finally do some test battles. I originally had way too many skills per class, but I was able to remove some redundant ones and divide some up between different areas, allowing the player to choose whole skillsets for their class/subclass type, but also equipping specific passives, support abilities, and the like.

Haven't done any new art yet as I already have my second iteration sprites imported with every weapon animation in place, so not much to show off visually, but I really do like this fella right here and might modify this sprite a bit to make the MC. Still working diligently, but I am still a ways off before I can reveal too much or release a demo.

Then again...
>Hidden things become revealed for those who earnestly seek

>>3457987
I think games as a medium can be a great tool to express philosophical thoughts and encourage the player to think outside the box. Will have plenty of similar ones that I have picked up throughout the years. Have a file full of different quotes like these. Kinda fun.

post deleted originally because I accidently reddit spaced
>>
>>3457994
>which was more work than I initially expected.
Toldyer so
>>
>>3458009
yea, I feel like I am creatively pooped, so it actually is kind of nice to just sit back and do data entry for the time being. One thing I am really happy I got working was the use of bonus actions and modifying the AI to also use these in combination with their normal skills. Kind of Tactics Ogre like in this regard, where you can use "Mighty Impact" to guarantee knockback and crit for your weapon attack, or "Vigorous Impact" where instead you guarantee 100% accuracy and 100% debuff.

I also ended up using custom parameters and created an Initiative stat, which when factored in with enemy block, parry, and luck, determines whether an attack or debuff is successful. Back attacks and side attacks come with an initiative buff, as can certain support skills like those mentioned above. This creates an incentive for the player to both act and position themselves correctly as to not only bypass what may be a block heavy Myrmidon's defenses, but to make sure the status or debuff they are attempting to inflict also applies.

People who play my game expecting to just be able to run face forward and beat a Knight in a melee with their Rogue are going to be quite upset at how often the enemy will mitigate their attacks. But the player who feeds TP to his Rogue using the Tactician class, then turns their rogue stealth/invisible, envenoms their blade, then back attacks said Knight while still invisible will end up having a lot more success, both bypassing block/parry/evade, and for now almost guaranteeing that their poison will be inflicted due to the Initiative buff gained from attacking from behind and while under their stealth status. Even better if the Knight is already in a melee with an allied unit, as now the Rogue's back attack will trigger a pincer attack as well.
>>
>>3458016
>>3458016
Think I might take a page from Darkest Dungeon as well, and have KO status be a sort of Death's Door mechanic, where your character when KO'd is still alive in the field battle, but with only 1 HP left and severely debuffed. If they are attacked and you don't pass a mitigation or saving throw check, the character is permanently dead and removed from the party. If the character survives the battle however, to encourage people mixing up their party and not relying on the same 12 characters every fight, he would come back with a semi-permanent debuff, likely whatever if any status debuff the character had at the time of being KO'd or perhaps a random one. Meaning your best party member could have a semi-permanent limp, or accuracy/dmg/def debuff until having him sit out of a few fights in the care of a physician or plague doctor.

Kinda ripped straight from how Darkest Dungeon did it, but it is a neat mechanic and I don't think it is too unforgiving, considering the nature of the game and ample amounts of hireable generics.
Having l i t t l e m o n e y due to upkeep costs as punishment for bad gameplay should add a level of challenge and seriousness that I feel the tone in my game can benefit from.
>>
>>3458038
Deaths door is lame. Character dies only from heavy blows (20% or more of max health) after hitting zero.
>>
>>3458016
>But the player who feeds TP to his Rogue using the Tactician class, then turns their rogue stealth/invisible, envenoms their blade, then back attacks said Knight while still invisible will end up having a lot more success
I like combos/dynamic duos in tactics games, its great you're putting attention to it
>>
>>3458046
Won't be ripping it verbatim, but I figure the base idea is a decent enough approach compared to how FFT and Tactics Ogre did it. Permadeath from a single KO is too much, while a 3 turn countdown is too generous. Forcing the player to direct their attention to a wounded ally or suffer consequences, either from longer term debuffs or a permadead unit feels like a better system then just casually reviving before the countdown hits zero.

Of course, I am adding in a necromancer class, so all won't be exactly be lost forever. But your paladin who was a little overzealous might be drooling a bit as he slumps around now looking for brains if resurrected like so.

>>3458050
Thanks, and yea this is my favorite part of the SRPG genre, so I am leaning heavily into the strategy, teamwork, and combinations that put the power in the hands of the player.

Every class and even subclass combinations with different classes produce different levels of interacting strategies. One example is the Monster Hunter class, styled after Van Helsing, who can use crossbows as a sidearm, shooting an enemy in the leg and reducing their movement, could be paired with Trapper as a subclass or allied unit, who throws caltrops on the ground reducing the movement points again of any enemy unit that walks on said tiles. Then use a knockback skill and keep the enemy unit trapped with low mobility while you pelt it with projectiles, explosive flasks, magic, etc.

I just hope the AI is able to keep up. I am approaching making the enemy troop formations to be stand ins for myself. So for the later parts of the game and optional dungeons, it will be as if the player has to fight a ghost version of myself. Piloted by basic algorithms, perhaps, but in terms of unit composition and team builds, I intend to give it my all so the players who want a real tactical challenge, will be given one.
>>
>>3458059
>Permadeath from a single KO is too much, while a 3 turn countdown is too generous
True
>examples
Longer debuffs as in...?
>>
>>3458068
Say your Monk unit was inflicted with the Pain status ailment when he was KO'd. Pain reduces counter attack and crit chance rates. When the battle is finished (or perhaps even at the time of KO), there will be a roll to see if the unit is now permanently inflicted with this debuff. If so, he will keep the debuff for all future fights until he is restored by a specific NPC or hospital, which would also likely be either expensive or rate limited in some way.

I have about 50 different debuffs and status ailments that are used in the battle system, so the potential inflictions could be quite vast. Some, not a big deal (Enfeeble, lowering mag atk, on a Berserker for instance), could be ignored. Others, like Stagger (-1 Movement) or Blind (-acc, -2 range for projectile attacks), on an Archer, could not.

I know from my younger days playing games like FFT, I had my core squad that were essentially duplicates of each other. There is a lot of variety in my game, and a lot of potential that requires experimentation and logic to uncover. I want to prevent people from setting on a 'meta team', and encourage this experimentation, as well as keep things fresh. This was a large part of why it was so taxing to balance the skills between classes, and keep them unique enough so that each class stands out on its own.
>>
>>3457649
I'd say /trash/ always has at least one scat thread, but the allegory us kinda falling apart.

Anyway, if you wrote a story, built leves, scripted events, maybe added some mechanics, and non-rtp sprites, then how hard it could be to add a background to your textbox, and use another font?
>>
>>3458116
>could be to add a background to your textbox, and use another font?
Why change perfection
>>
>>3457994
How long did it take in total approx?
Did all by yourself?
>>3458016
Bonus action like in 5e?
I played ogre until the last dungeon, I don't remember a bonus action. Was the game with the winged men, right?
>initiative
Determines to hit %?
>thief aso
Are there classes that anti to other classes? Like mage trumps knight which trumps archer which trumpets mage?
>>
>>3458192
I've been working 12+ hours a day at times for 2 years on and off so far. First year was mostly spriting, this year has been mostly coding, and throughout it has been game design (classes/skills, etc)

Kind of like 5e, basically there are the normal actions (attack, double attack, weapon skills, class skills), then there are specials or support skills, not sure what to call them yet but going with support for now. These add modifiers to you, your allies, or the enemies, but these support skills do not do damage, which is the main difference. Each character is allowed to use the Movement command, the Action command, and the Support command once each per turn. Both the action skills and the support skills cost different amounts of TP to use, ranging from 1-3 depending on the skill. Units gain 1 TP per turn and have a cap of 5 TP each. Although some units have ways of gaining extra TP, while some other units can give the party or certain units +1 or -1 TP.

A typical turn for a Warrior unit with 5 TP might be Move-> Wraith Guard (support skill, guarantees crit) -> Brave Attack.
While a typical turn for a Buccaneer unit would be to Move->Ridicule an enemy (support skill, removes enemy buffs)->Walk the Plank (Action skill, attacks enemy in adjacent panel and causes them to be knockbacked 1 panel and gain Fear status). Or instead of using aggressive skills, for the Buccaneer in particular they can just sit back and sing sea shanties either buffing their team (Roll the Man Down) or causing the enemy team (who is within earshot) to experience debuffs, like getting sea sick (Drunker Sailor).

Yea, Canopus the winged Chad. There were not all that many bonus actions, but there were some. Double Shot, Double Attack, Mighty Impact, etc. The Passive auto skills also, but I won't be using many if any of these.

Initiative is not going to be accuracy per say, but an additional modifier that helps bypass block, parry, and inflicting or resisting a buff. limit
>>
>>3458192
36 classes so far without adding the main mages, and yes there will be plenty of counters and no single class should be OP. For every upside there is a downside, for every stronger skill is a stronger cost, for every strength is another weakness. Teamwork and synergy is the ultimate strategy here. I will die of old age or sickness before I release a project where the meta is a team full of dual wielding ninjas, or knights using move +3 with 2-Swords skill equipped wielding an Excalibur and Chaos Blade. Not my style. Enemies will also scale with the player, so you won't be able to outlevel your enemies very much, if at all. Perhaps a pinch for story missions, but I want a stronger team to be developed by better synergies, teamworks, and proper utilization of skills. Essentially the same way an RTS or card game works. You win by slowly gaining a turn advantage, by taking down key units that support an enemy team, and by preventing your own core or support units from falling as well. Both for the immediate term in battle, but the longer term for multi-floor dungeons with back to back battles where units may be injured before the end of the dungeon, forcing the player to make difficult decisions about who to use in place of their max spec DPS. Don't like Marksman and Archers? Too bad, you may need to field some, either out of tactical necessity, or because all your Sword and Boards got lit up like a Christmas Ham when fighting Mages with the 'Heat Metal' skill. Or maybe you simply fought a Juggernaut who shattered your best melee weapons and now you need to field Monks instead, or even Thieves/Nomads so you can steal from enemy units/loot their corpses (Pry from Dead skill for Nomad).

In general archers will have the range to snipe mages and squishies, and have the added benefit of being able to shoot over obstacles. But the damage formula will reflect poor penetration vs heavy armor units. Mages being the opposite here penetration wise.
>>
File: mainmenualpha.png (803 KB, 1597x929)
803 KB
803 KB PNG
>>3458333
This is one example of a valid class/subtype class type that may be something of a necessity and that has its own synergy as well. In the example above you lost your weapon on your best DPS due to fighting a Juggernaut (2 handed heavy armor unit with equipment breaking and debuffing skills, including a Fear aura (Griever) and a Fear support skill (Horrifying Stance), which makes next attack cause guaranteed fear + guaranteed debuffs. If an enemy Juggernaut uses Horrifying Stance as their support, then attacks a unit with Shatter Weapon action, the unit hit will 100% lose their weapon and be inflicted with Fear, as well as any debuffs found on the Juggernaut's weapon which can range all over the place.

So next dungeon you field a Monk with the subclass Thief, and go dual unarmed. In addition, the Thief has a passive skill you can equip called 'Spare Hand', which increases Initiative and Luck when your offhand weapon slot is empty. Since monks gain bonuses from unarmed fighting, you now get to double dip on this and the Spare Hand skill, and can use any of the Thief or Monk skillsets as well, stunning, grappling, healing, buffing, stealing, charming, or debuffing the enemy while not having to worry about losing any more weapons and being able to pick up more along the way now as well. Monk also gets the Bracer passive, which grants a parry chance based on level when fighting unarmed.

Other combos would be Juggernaut/Paladin, Tactician/Alchemist, Ranger/Gunslinger, Trapper/Grenadier, etc. Really any classes can be stacked, but some lean more heavily into certain niches than others. There will also be +stat points for the player to spend when they level up, so characters will have customized growths of sorts as well. Fun for min-maxers and those who like making unique builds. I suppose I take some inspiration from Diablo 2 in this regard.
>>
Are 30 items enough for a game that isn't item heavy? I've got recovry, ability unlocking (like tomes) and unique stuff that interacts with the game's systems.
>>
>>3458392
Depends on the size of your game and whether every niche is filled, but I always liked having to deal with lesser amounts of items than more. I feel like as long as you aren't making items for the sake of making items, leading to redundancy, then whatever amount is needed is fine really. I don't like having to go through a huge list of pointless stuff however. If everything has a purpose in the menu you see it in, then a higher amount works, but 30 seems fine to me really.
>>
>>3458392
the average rpg player uses like 5 items throughout the game, hp recovery (small and large), mp recovery, revival, status recovery. anything else is just extra stuff that they'll hang on to until the "THE END" screen in case they need it later.
>>
is there a list of finished (or available) games by anons?
>>
>>3458417
>>3458419
I meant 30 total, well 32 actually but theyre just different variations of recovery, add skill, change class and a couple more that are dependant on systems.
>>
>>3458428

>>3458419 has the right idea. My ideal game may have 30 classes and a shitload of customization, but you only need items as far as they are useful. In most games I would rather be without them even, as they can trivialize a challenge quite easily.

I would separate the non-consumable in battle items from the rest as well. Make it easy to find that potion or tincture when you need it, and keep everything else, skill books, crafting items, etc., in their own separate menus.

Items can be done right however. FF7 with the Materia system is a great example. But the key concept in all of this, is what does it add? If the answer is not much, then get rid of it.
>>
>>3458445
>I would separate the non-consumable in battle items from the rest as well.
Oh that makes total sense. Would take into account. Maybe I do have around 5 in battle items only.
>>
>>3458353
>Sundown Kid
I'M FUCKING INVINC-
>>
File: the30yearoldevoomer.jpg (75 KB, 1078x1080)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>Made a crappy rpgm game as a first unfinished game
>Game was nowhere near my OG vision
>Improve my skills and start from scratch
>Get better ideas and somewhat easier to implement as they are simpler
>Game slowly starts taking shape
>Yesterday had a dream that my game was finally finished and it was glorious
Thanks for reading my hopeful blogpost.
>>
>>3457987
How do you square away that belief when you're at the casino, say at a craps table, and one person to the left of you wins thousands while the other to the right of you loses thousands when they're both placing bets with the same odds? Did the person who won, before the dice are thrown, have an ability to understand the casual relationship between his action and the result in a way that the person who lost didn't?
>>
>>3458528
>Did the person who won, before the dice are thrown, have an ability to understand the casual relationship between his action and the result in a way that the person who lost didn't?
>dice
I'd say no but there but there are still plenty of ways to get a bit more control over luck in games like blackjack or poker. Some people claim croupiers can get some degree of control over roulette by throwing the ball some way or another. Obviously there's a limit at how much information you can get over odds. Imagine you could calculate the exact angle and force (down to 10 decimals of precision) you need to throw the dice with in order to get double sixes (curious if this can be done with a computer yet), that would be having information over causal relationships that a normal person doesn't have.
>>
>>3458544
Like how did I know I was gonna get dubs? I didn't, the chance of geting dubs is what 10%? If I was looking at the post count though, I could get closer to 50% on a slow board.
>>
>>3458548
and if you cheat, those odds can be stacked closer to 90-99%

whether it cheating, or having an edge of some sort, most instances of luck are able to be manipulated to some degree.

I really like how >>3458544 put it, and there have been instances where someone was banned from a Casino because of how they threw the dice. Even an amateur can do this, just practice spinning it instead.
>>
>>3458544
Ah okay, I kind of get what you mean then. Like that one team of roulette players in the 70s (?) that made some formula for the most likely number based on the wheel's RPM and where the ball started from making winnings statistically overtime.

At the end of the day though most people winning or losing aren't doing this, they're just playing, and whether they win or lose is entirely out of their hands. I'd call the outcome of an unprepared action taken luck. But I think I understand what you're saying better. The one who prepares to give themselves a better chance isn't lucky, he understands that he can influence his "luck" in some way.

>you need to throw the dice with in order to get double sixes (curious if this can be done with a computer yet)
I want to believe just as much as any craps player but I honestly think dice setting/throwing is mostly superstition, but a fun one at that. But iirc this hasn't been proven in any capacity yet. I'd love to be proven wrong and its a frequent argument amongst my friends. I read a study done a while ago where someone built a robot that tossed casino dice mechanically exactly the same every time with the same setup for faces for thousands of throws and the results showed that due to minor variations in the air etc. the results were still random. And if the casino even vaguely believed that dice setting/throwing could be gamed consistently, they wouldn't allow people to do it but they do, while they kick you out for counting cards regardless of whether or not you're winning or losing.
>>
Just played live a live remake. How come a 60 usd title is barely better than rpgm shovelware?
>>
>>3458606
wrong question. why does rpgm shovelkino undersell itself?
>>
>>3458607
Poor presentation and this >>3458116
>>
>>3457965
samefaging hard today, aren't you?
>>
File: 1641407377364.jpg (116 KB, 768x1024)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>3458616
was my first post in the thread actually.
>>3457973
>>3457994
>>3458016
>>3458038
>>3458059
>>3458076
>>3458314
>>3458333
>>3458353
>>3458353

Are my others.

But yea, I do enjoy R=U posting, and guy I responded to sounds like FF8-Kun who always posts really insane but interesting FF type connections and the associated real world mythological lore that links them.

Something tells me you are upset about something, if you want to share what's on your mind please feel free and go ahead. How is your game coming along?
>>
I'm going to warn you guys. If you ever do translations, you are going to hate the Chinese. I have literately had the same guy purchase a game I made and refunded multiple times, all with the same copy and past refund reason. Always complaining about the same thing that I fixed a while ago, I even triple checked and confirmed everything works and the translation is accurate, that there are no flaws and it just works. I realized he's being a skummy bastard, buying the game and refunding it while keeping the game files, and doing it again when bigger updates happen. Chinese can be absolutely skummy.
>>3448059
Get RPG maker, any version is good but 2003 has the most overall support
>>
>>3458606
pearls before swine i'm afraid, sorry about your taste.
>>
>A tip here for the youngins in the crowd. The more you hate something, the stronger it becomes. If you truly want to defeat a monster, your best strategy is to starve it.
>>
>>3458353
What plugin are you using to organize your party menu like that?
>>
>>3458655
based chink gaming the system
>>
>>3458655
piracy is a bitch
>>
>>3458655
>translating to chinese
Why would you torture yourself this way?
>>
>>3458592
>I read a study done a while ago where someone built a robot that tossed casino dice mechanically exactly the same every time with the same setup for faces for thousands of throws and the results showed that due to minor variations in the air etc
yeah but what about throwing it in a vacuum?
>>
>>3458667
The snes version is sufficient, no need for a piss poor remake.
As a rpg itself it's really basic.
>>
>>3458849
Fuck if I know but if that actually works please let me know when you find a casino that will let you play craps in an absolute vacuum.
>>
>>3458849
So it could land a six (6) 899 of 1000 times?
>>
>>3458902
why 899 of 1000?
>>
>>3458899
>a casino that will let you play craps in an absolute vacuum
A casino in space maybe
>>
>>3458843
Money. It is a similar sized market to the US.
Which of course means way bigger than any non-US market. If you're going to support one language that isn't English, it should be simplified Chinese.
>>
>>3457278
I was considering just adding every single line of text as "dialogue".
>>
>>3458935
Good luck publishing pachinko games
>>
>>3458943
What I do for text is have every line of text on a spreadsheet with an id and other parameters and just call a dialogue window whenever I need it that takes the text as an input referenced by the id parameter.
>>
If this thread has taught me one thing, its that I definitely need a Casino with playable tables in my game.

>Blind gambling is for fools, but if you feel like you have a hint or a system, then every man is an addict to the dice.
>>
>>3459085
I mean from the top of my head pokemon and FF7 had those, so its pretty cool for a modern game to have it too.
>>
File: lufia2casino.jpg (16 KB, 256x223)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>3459088
so did Lufia 2 and SMRPG. I spent untold hours in both of them as a kid. Explains my crypto fascination later in life.
>>
File: amano_blackmage.jpg (1.71 MB, 2820x3934)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Here is a question we can all benefit from. What are some good mini-games and optional content that will make an indie rpg stand out?

>100 floor/endless dungeon gauntlet (late game challenge)
>ancient cave dungeon (similar to above but you start at lvl 1 on the first floor and see how far you can go)
>alchemy system (crafting potions and whatnot)
>crafting system (upgrading weapons and the like)
>poaching system (trade skins for rare items/crafting/alchemy ingredients/equipment)
>casino
>puzzles in dungeons (guarding special items/eq or even to advance to boss)
>bestiary
>monster catching
>monster breeding
>arena (betting on others or entering yourself)
>mounts (could be linked with monster catching/breeding)
>superboss
>(super)boss gauntlet
>???

what else do ya got boys?
>>
>>3459105
fishing
>>
File: 1710091217524682.jpg (217 KB, 1200x1137)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>3459109
>fishing
>bar rumors/propositions (sidequests/send non-active party members to do sidequests)
>party affinity system
>dating minigame
>online pvp mode
>treasure/scavenger hunt
>find the 8-16 hidden locations throughout the world (play on 8 crystals/mana seeds etc)
>???
>>
What ration of gamification vs simulation do you prefer, /dev/ ? Full gamification would be something liek a card battler, where everything depends on your choices really, while full simulation would be something like an auto battler, where only character selection/build matter.
>>
>>3459145
prefer full gamification or close to it. autobattlers are boring
>>
>>3459147
Its just that I realy like "sim" stuff in mechanics, stuff like variable damage, but they dont quite fit with gamificated combat reee
>>
File: pepesama.png (1.11 MB, 614x864)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>3459151
best game you can make is one you want to play imo, you should follow your vision instead of what you think the crowd will like.

>If you do your work truly and conscientiously, unknown friends will come and seek you.
>>
>>3459145
Gameplay should consist of both preparation and the battle itself. Autobattlers basically cut the gameplay in half.
>>
>>3459152
I like lots of stuff, that clash on a mechanical level. On one point, I like when numbers just keep going up in terms of power level. But then, I really like the simlicity of tabletop, where dagger deals 1d4 damage, crits on 4, and your character max hp is about 10 for tank, and 4 for a mage.
>>
File: 1651808437316.jpg (150 KB, 811x1195)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>3459154
Which way, Indie gamedev? Which way indeed.
>>
>>3459156
Thus, its not like im trying to get decision made for myself, but rather hoping on an outside (of my head) perspective, that might provide some insight.
>>
File: file.png (341 KB, 750x1000)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>3459152
Excellent post.
https://files.catbox.moe/t73ap6.mp4
>>
File: kek.png (142 KB, 360x346)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>3459166
>>
another question that may be useful to the devs here, has anyone tried any of the AI spritesheet generators out there? I don't have a GPT subscription so I haven't been able to try any out, but there are indeed some out there and if any are even half decent, it could add a lot of spice vs using default/handmade sprites.

Unfortunately the free ones I found did not work, erroring out and then asking me to buy tokens before I even got to see a single sheet attempted to be generated. Something tells me good sprite animations aren't going to be able to be generated easily if at all, but perhaps the tech has evolved since last I checked.
>>
>>3459145
>card battler
>everything depends on your choices
Except your starting hand and what you draw isn't it?
>>
>>3459173
That is why you build your deck properly, and make the best out of whatever situation you are afforded. 100% RNG sucks, but card games, especially ones where you build your deck are all about your choices.

There is a reason the best players at competitive card games like MTG have a much higher than a 50/50 win rate.
>>
How viable is to create your own UI in RPGMaker with your own variables and systems? I want to make a D&D clone and fighting the editor because of the shitty lack of interface customization at every step it's tiring. I won't pay shit for the visuestella turd.
>>
>>3459221
it's plenty viable but it's at the point where you'd be better off using some other engine. people make incredible stuff in rpg maker because they're insane, not because it's the best (or even an especially good) engine for the job
>>
>>3459230
Other engines require you to code everything. I don't want to deal with that I just want more numbers and stat autism to be displayed in the screen with skill checks. RPGM may do it with common events but the UI fucking sucks
>>
>>3459221
use MV instead of MZ and just pirate all the Yanfly plugins. Easy to find. You can do pretty much whatever you want within reason with only knowing how to minimally code in this manner.
>>
>>3459253
NTA but any links?
>>
>>3459258
google yanfly plugin free download, there was a page up somewhere first result on google last I checked
>>
>>3459258
here
https://archive.org/details/yepenglish
>>
>>3459170
I don't think we're quite there yet. I've yet to see a single good example of an AI generated sprite sheet, it seems one thing AI is still not very good at is consistency between frames, and also terrible at pixel art.

It is quite good at giving you a mockup for individual poses you can then use as reference art to draw your actual sprites though.
>>
>>3459221
http://sumrndm.site/hud-maker-ultra/
This is MZ but I'm pretty sure there's also MV version on his site.
>>
>>3459274
agreed from what I have seen as well. I was impressed when I tried sampling out MidJourney when it was still newish however. I put in one of my sprite models and it actually generated a half-decent full scale anime style version of my pixelated character.

I know AI is frowned upon in much of the indie and game making community, especially the Rpg Maker boards, however I don't think I am alone with the belief that the quality and content I provide to the player is more important then the judgemental attitudes of those who likely would never buy my game anyways.

Not like I can draw anyways. Same deal with music. These tools are pretty much made to help with independent artists and devs, and it would be a grave mistake to not take advantage of them, especially with it being so new. The fact that many have their preconceived notions that prevent them from doing so may actually be to the advantage of those who do.
>>
>>3459287
Only people who dislike AI are the retards selling their art that don't want people able to do it themselves.
>>
>>3459297
>Only people who dislike AI are the retards selling their art that don't want people able to do it themselves.
I mostly disagree. I'm a visual artist but, I lack the drive or abilities to compose what music I want.
And music is not something I personally want to self teach myself.

Music AI while impressive, isn't something I want to use professionally.
I have spent money on both novel ai and suno. AI as it is not is not worth the time investment for a product.
AI just doesn't have that rhythm or feeling of a human.
At best I would give the track I generated to a composer to make a arranged version of it.
Even though it's harder to find composers who have ok prices.
>>
>>3459324
give this a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gYStWmO1jQ
>>
>>3459331
I'm not too impressed. It's has consistent quality (besides the voices). Even if Music AI is good and many aspects. I even have a few song I've generated that I actually liked. But, something about AI in general gives me a bad vibe.
I really rather just get a composer somewhere down the line. Or at least learn music by brute force.
>>
>>3459324
I haven't tried the music ones. The image one takes weeks of trial and error and has a very human element in getting actual quality out of it.
>>
>>3459349
>The image one takes weeks of trial and error and has a very human element in getting actual quality out of it.
What I find interesting is that people who have an art background can get good results in much less time than non-artfags.
It might be that they know the right words to use, or that they have a better idea about how things should look. I don't know. But when this stuff is more widespread, I'd tentatively predict that "art theory" is going to be more valuable than "prompt engineering" at leveraging LMMs for visual assets.
>>
>>3459285
there's a MV version on this site. I think this could do. Now only thing left is doing a variable that updates with the level up like in dnd.
>>
>>3447711

Done setting up the sound for the whole game. Next, a bunch of smaller things left to do. (Hopefully...)

>See Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDHf-KDq0cM
>>
>>3459413
What is the personality/lore on the Vivian James character? Protagonist/Antagonist? Does she represent 4chan? Did she come about after your forced exile from the RPG Maker forums?
>>
>>3459420
It's not really an exile when everyone stays in contact with him.
>>
>>3459413
Where did you get that Vivian James sprite Sigma?
>>
>>3459433
see >>3458679
>>
>>3459433
No one does, he's an embarrassment and a laughing stock.
>>
>>3459297
if you can't be bothered to make it, i'm not gonna be bothered to consume it. i'm not interested in slop. even if it does someday get to the point where it looks good, if i find out something was made with ai, i immediately lose interest. it's like if someone handed you a drink with a single droplet of piss mixed in. i'm not drinking that.
>>
>>3459502
Hello
>>
>>3459502
Based department?
>>
>>3459502
You can't even be bothered to press your shift key.
>>
>>3459502
I think the truth of the matter is, a lot of people using AI to make their games have a bias towards the art they're using because they think of it as "their" art in their game, so they rate it subjectively better than it really is because it's part of something they made and are quick to harshly jump in and try to stave off any criticism as coming from butthurt artfags.

But the objective fact is most of the time this art is actually visibly AI generated dogshit and you can just tell at a glance.
>>
>>3459445
>>3458679
That's assuming you know what people eat or think.

How many times have you seen a moderator say "we" as if they're the vox populi? I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but you're holding a toilet brush, not a scepter.
>>
>>3459522
buddy if you think i'm going to effortpost on 4chan dot org slash vrpg slash then lol
>>
I've got access to GPT4 and DALL-E
Got any requests?
>>
>>3459287
>the quality and content I provide to the player is more important then the judgemental attitudes of those who likely would never buy my game anyways.
The quality of the content will depend on your own skills and relying on AI will 100% influence how you approach the different elements of game development. Having the machine put something together means not being there to see how it was done. You miss out on something quite important: Sharpening your eyes and ears to pick up on details. Even if your goal is to be the programming guy or the writing guy first and foremost, having a decent grasp of music and art will lead to a better synergy with the rest of the team as you'll be able to point out exactly what you're aiming for. As for solo devs, it should be obvious why studying all the fields individually is so important.
>>3459297
>Only people who dislike AI are the retards selling their art that don't want people able to do it themselves.
There are plenty of resources online for free, hell, you're two clicks away from them. The truth is that people are lazy and enjoy having an instant gratification button that's (sometimes) free and easily accessible. They argue in bad faith, reducing all artists to commission artists so they can paint them as a greedy crowd, thus twisting narrative into a moral judgment where they are the virtuous ones for "destroying the cyrclejerk". If anything, it's like someone bragging about using steroids while complaining about how gym goers are all asshole dudebros. Meanwhile, the gym goers are praising each other because they know what it takes to get fit without relying on shortcuts.
>>
>>3459361
It's a combination of experience and tweaking the AI's result to fix up mistakes.
>>
File: dd0.png (378 KB, 1210x800)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
>>3459637
So which is the steroid in your analogy? Human or AI?
Pretty sure people go to the gym because they're NOT fit.
Pretty sure fit people seeking praise from other fit people is a mental health concern.
>>
>>3459646
>he doesn't say "bro you're looking huge today" and then suck his gym buddy off
BRO?
>>
>>3457994
post class list
>>
>>3458353
Greiver is not an entity of fear, greiver is an entity of mourning. America should have gotten Lio Prime but we got that big gorilla Optimus Primal instead.
>>
>>3459105
Blue magic
Class Quests
searching for specific artifacts
finding new dungeons
finding new branches in old dungeons
farming ( legend of mana, rune factory)
social matrix ( xenoblade, animal crossing)
having children ( fable, fire emblem)
>>
>>3459646
>Pretty sure people go to the gym because they're NOT fit.
You've never worked out in your life, have you?
>>
>>3459166
Thats not ai, is it?
>>3459152
True, also Savage picrel.

Is there a rpgm like romancing saga? Playing rs3 for the second time and still don't get the progression system one bit.
I don't want tominmax, on the contrary, I love it that way. I have no clue, so everything feels new and fresh and exciting. I picked martial arts and have no idea what it does, awesome.
Could such a progression system even be made via rpgm?
>>
File: 1712985556760828.png (200 KB, 264x359)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>3459778
>Is there a rpgm like romancing saga?
Good news, anon. The game you're looking for exists, and it's Hat World.
https://mega.nz/folder/09FRHYSR#VKxBWy9oTNffPNJlnvsEBA
>>
>>3459781
>tranime character
Everytime...
Isn't hat World for free everywhere?
(can I spy on the source code)
>>
>>3459793
>>3459778
Just to be clear, I'm interested in the numbers of rs3. How does leveling work, when will stats increase aso. All the seemingly random mechanics are IMHO well done. They are fun at least.
>>
>>3459800
As long as you have the RPG Maker version it was made in you should be able to view its code.
>>
>>3459781
goburinbro please
>>
File: classlist1.png (706 KB, 1595x897)
706 KB
706 KB PNG
>>3459691
Griever skill also inflicts Sadness debuff. Tying this class and the theme in with a story bit, tragic ending for a real human bean

>>3459689
first half, just hope there aren't any triple A companies lurking who plan on stealing my work. I have a warchest too.
>>
File: classlist2.png (748 KB, 1594x925)
748 KB
748 KB PNG
>>3459689
2nd half
>>
>>3459944
One of my favorite memories is listening to King Crimson 1 and Jethro Tull while scouring every 3.5 book to build my first artificer

What is the Nomad like? No Jester , or Inquisitor? In my fantasy heartbreaker I made assassin more like Shiek, and gave alot of 3.5 era assassin stuff to Nightblade/Reaper. Very comprehensive non-mage class list.
>>
Anyone know if RPG Architect is worth it?
>>
>>3459943
Really good menus anon, I dig it
>>
>>3459962
Nomad is kind of a cross between a thief, mediator, and a bard with some extra movement skills. Skills are:
Action Skills:
>Sling 1 TP: Projectile with stun + knockback
>Bolas 2 TP:Inflicts don't move for 1 turn + reduces target TP by 1
>Share Flask 1 TP: Embrace comradery with target, sharing potent brew. Target gains Intoxicated debuff (target is debuffed easier)
>Refute 2 TP: Talk skill, debuff target mag atk by causing doubt in the gods
>Charm 3 TP: Tempt enemy of the opposite sex into Charm status with tales of adventure and romance.
>Infuriate 3 TP: Enrage target with passive insults and unfavorable suggestions. Berserk + Taunt.
>Confound 3 TP: Confuse target with disturbing ideas and subliminal messages entwined with tales of heroism and valor.
>Tall Tale 3 TP: Bore enemy with exaggerated tales of glory and honor. Sleep.
Support Skills (can be used in addition to action skills, 1x each per turn)
>Sprint 1 TP: Gain +1 Move and +12.5% initiative for next 3 turns
>Throw Voice 1 TP: Trick enemy causing target to look behind them. Changes target direction.
>Pry from Dead 2 TP: Steal one random piece of equipment from KO target
Reaction:
Sticky Fingers: Chance of stealing random piece of equipment when performing a counter or pincer attack

No Jester, but depending on how you define that class, the role can be fulfilled by others.

Inquisitor, no, but Cleric has a few pretty scary melee skills that makes them somewhat of a cross between trad healer + Inquisitor. Templar is a paladin so also fills this roll a bit.
My assassin is more debuffs (can apply a toxin that either stuns, silences, poisons, or blinds), while using sneaky skills that bypass defense, block, etc. Also has a blowgun. Ninja and Seeker are closer to more DPS style rogue classes, with Ninja being trap/tool based and Seeker being like a Monk that specializes in dual wielding and throwing 1h weapons. Hope to have a wiki up once I get further along.

>>3459990
Thank you anon
>>
>>3460006
I would be happy to playtest your game. Either with you or with my homies.
>>
>>3460055
Thanks, I still have a bit of work to do but will update with my progress every few weeks or so in these threads. Will make a discord when I get closer to that point.
>>
>>3459695
some good ideas, really dig blue magic

One other thing I forgot that should have been obvious. Some sort of Card game.
>>
>look for basic rpg inventory godot tutorial
>everything is slot based minecraft trash
fug but at least I can pick up the general idea.
>>
File: do you think we are.png (412 KB, 431x700)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>3459793
>Everytime...
>>
>>3460236
only if it fueles gambler, corsair and fortune-teller in different ways in combat
>>
>>3460484
>tranime timeline
In a timeline worse than any prediction from /pol (2012).
>>
Nivalith, a land condemned to suffer an eternal winter, where sorcery and diesel punk are togheter in an apocalyptic world (tried to post a video of the menu to show the movement and stuff but I get error all the time). Working on character creation and the intro, I have done other stuff in the past.
>>
>>3460615
Wait nvm, you're the same asspained squeakers going around impotently trolling anything remotely anime/hentai, you know exactly where you are frogfag.
>>
>>3460652
Looks awesome! Winter jinroh.
>>3460741
Kys
>>
File: SSS.gif (282 KB, 806x621)
282 KB
282 KB GIF
Wish I had this enemy's command of angles and/or social media engagement.
>>
>>3460936
Cat hag porn where?
>>
>>3461011
Draw your own (or date her ingame)
>>
Working on a dungeon crawler in RPG Maker Ace. Having an absolute blast learning this program, feeling things coming together, but one thing is still tricking me up. I've added a party member to the game and I've successfully set up a variable for when their HP runs to zero it's scripted to kill them and the Player Character will even comment on it. The problem is the reverse. When the PC's HP runs to zero with the party member in the group, the game doesn't trigger a game over like when they're alone. Instead, I've got a character with zero HP still running around just because the party member is still alive.

tl;dr How do I tell the game to end when the PC's hp runs out with a party member in the group?
>>
>>3461187
there should be a scene control event called "game over" that just instantly sends the player to the game over screen
>>
>>3461300
I need to relook at it. I've definitely figured out how to trigger "game over" with other scripts, it just gets tricky when the game keeps going with a zero hp player on account of the other guy still being alive. Shouldn't it be possible to setup a common event that activates game over if the player were to reach zero hp or perhaps zero mp if I wanted? Even if party members are still around?
>>
>>3447711

The game is essentially done. I'm going to take some time now, and see what extra/side content I can add to it, before finally releasing it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 276x97)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>3461327
is this not enough
>>
>>3461019
Can you date her in-game?
>>
File: inventory.gif (838 KB, 500x281)
838 KB
838 KB GIF
Progress was made. I thought this was gonna take a lot more of my sanity to make without tutorials.
>>
>>3461667
custom menus are ezpz once you've gotten a handle on generally how they work.
The page turn animation is probably the most difficult part of that entire thing.
>>
>>3461670
I guess you're right. I've always been scared of making UI but now that I'm getting the hang of it, it all comes down to what tools you have at you disposal. Also the page turn animation is just a sprite so its easy if you have pixel art references to work with.
>>
>>3461462
Still waiting on False Spaces though.
>>
File: magic brownie.webm (893 KB, 1280x720)
893 KB
893 KB WEBM
the power of psychoactive drugs

>>3452592
thanks anon
>>
what engine should you make a crpg in?
>>
>>3461505
I'm adding a date side mission that works like FF7 because I am creatively bankrupt and it's funny
>>
Post playable progress. I wanna play something.
>>
File: 1713697519672899.jpg (221 KB, 816x624)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>3460652
i like the art but theres too much empty space i think the menu would look better if it looked something like this
>>
File: screenshot.png (97 KB, 1920x953)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>3461804
I linked this in a previous iteration of the thread, but I have made a few more patches since then.
It's a stripped-down, battle-only, NES-era Dragon Quest with an FLT-inspired node map. But instead of the chosen hero, you're the town drunk.
https://high-tower-games.itch.io/dream-warrior
>>
File: Nuts_Sack.gif (165 KB, 167x253)
165 KB
165 KB GIF
Gonna be at 600 soon. Pretty wild. Hoping that'll keep things fresh
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (494 KB, 816x624)
494 KB
494 KB PNG
>>3461829
Actually you should do something like this.
>>
>>3461938
anon, cool it with the adderall. You seem to be trying to 100% charisma dump, which is commendable, but I honestly don't know anything about your game besides the hand drawn style.
>>
>>3459620
No.
>>
>>3461969
Fair cop. I'll post a demo at some point so people can see what could have been
>>
>>3459943
>>3459944
Meh, seems like a lot for the sake of having a lot. How many of those classes are unique to your game/you actually put effort into?
>>
>>3461947
Based edit, ngl.
>>
>>3462002
It might be a bit on the high side, but I just really enjoy games where I can customize my characters to an autistic extent. For every class that is similar to another, there are also core changes that make it unique. I don't think I can cut any out without losing a certain playstyle or limiting the player's options. Consider the difference between a Knight, a Lancer, a Dark Knight, and a Paladin. All of these units serve as Vanguard types, front row and serving as both DPS and Tank type units, but even at a glance it is obvious that each one has its own playstyle as well as strengths and weaknesses.

Would it be preferred to fit all of these into a single DPS/Tank class? Perhaps easier, for myself and for certain players. But these aren't the type of games I prefer playing, nor are those the players I am building my game for.
>>
>>3462002
If there are any classes in particular you think could be removed in favor of another, let me know though and I will post the skillset for both and see what the feedback is like. I am not opposed to making changes, as long as I am not limiting the options for the player too much.
>>
File: 342614372.png (69 KB, 1635x916)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>3461903
Pretty cool game. My only complaint is how the final boss was able to stunlock me to death. Luckily, I got the revival item to save my ass.
>>
>>3462638
Thanks, and thanks for playing! Most of the people on itch didn't actually finish. Pretty cool to see people beat the Demon Lord.
Looks like a good run, too. Ultimate Armor and two Elixirs left means you probably got a lot of gold. That was inches from the good ending, too.
I have been debating toning down stun on some encounters. The skill "Reflexes" does mitigate a lot of it, but I don't want that to be required.
>>
I can't even log in to my Steam account to use RPGMAKER MV to continue to work on my project.
>>
>>3462806
>needing steam
lmao? Pirates win again.
>>
>>3461829
Really like the suggestion, I will try moving things around and making the logo bigger, not I can not see it as too small, also moving the options closer to the center could look better, THANK YOU!
>>
>>3461947
I will place the stuff on the center and see how it looks ingame, I'm definitely moving the options closer to the center, thank you for your suggestion.
>>
>>3462037
>All of these units serve as Vanguard types, front row and serving as both DPS and Tank type units, but even at a glance it is obvious that each one has its own playstyle as well as strengths and weaknesses
Personally I'm more of a fan of Paladins being a battle healer that can pop Miracles on teammates mid fight, but that's just preference talking. I'm not exactly sure what classes need to be trimmed, I feel like I need to play a working build to get a feel for that sort of thing desu. I'm all for player freedom and skill expression, but I feel the build autism is best when it comes from the minutiae and what skills/spells/weapons/armor you pick up rather than from arbitrary class differences at the start. I'd rather a few classes that I can play in a hundred different ways depending on the playthrough, rather than one hundred different classes you can only play one way. If you couldn't tell by my post, I'm not particularly a fan of bloat or the devs railroading me.
>>
File: BaddieBagGimmick.webm (1.39 MB, 808x614)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB WEBM
Figured I'd try and show more than just a-bouncing-guy; made a gimmicky mob for the lategame overworld that pulls from a curated list of enemies to add to their fight. Some of them are trash, some are bosses, some have their own mechanics. Should make for a lot of fun.
>>
File: Variables peg me.png (48 KB, 1184x601)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
I'm trying to get a certain NPC to chase the player when in game they've been walked by enough without interaction. I've gone under common events and had it every time the player re-enters the room a variable goes up 1. I want the NPC to chase after when the variable is 2. For some reason it never works. Can switches not be activated by variables building up in common events?
>>
>>3463354
They can if they're triggered in parallel. This is a very inefficient way of doing this though.
>>
Are boy meets girl rpgs too overdone at this point?
>>
>>3463370
No, but you can consider adding a gimmick on top.
>boy meets robot
>boy meets giant monster
>boy meets alien
>boy meets girl who dies and becomes a zombie
>boy meets boy (female)
>boy meets boy (male)
>>
>>3463370
Nothing is overdone if they're done good.
>>
>>3463354
are you aware that you can track your current variables in-game using one of the F keys (i forget which, f7? f8?)? first check to see if the variable is actually going up when it's supposed to be.
also, instead of using a common event to track the number of times the player's gone by, you could try just raising the variable every time you exit the room.
>>
>>3463449
Didn't know that. I'll look in which F key it is. Also that's how I had it set up. Sort of. Player returns to this room from another, adds 1 to the variable. It sounds like I can do it without a common event and just directly have a conditional branch, I'll keep playing around.
>>
Is there a script for a SaGa-style life point system for VX Ace?
>>
File: thinking anime egg.jpg (30 KB, 434x430)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
I'm imagining a game like Guild Wars 1, but does the warrior class need to exist? In GW1 you had warrior, ranger, assassin, dervish, and paragon which each had their own weapons with skills and elementalist, mesmer, necromancer, monk who all used the same weapon with no skills.
>>
>>3463430
*except for highschool settings.
>>
>>3463530
I read that as highschool shootings.
>>
>>3463530
Most popular and successful jrpg takes place in a high school setting howeverbeit
>>
>>3463530
Not in jrpgs
>>
File: movie_077.webm (3.02 MB, 854x480)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB WEBM
oh man i almost missed the thread.
haven't posted here for years, but this was my first gamedev thread on 4chan and it's good to be back
character creation screen part 1/2 is good to go.
>>
>>3464091
Why that many nations?
>>
>>3463577
Irrelevant.
>>3463678
You'll still end up with a ton of media centered around it.
>>
the more time i put into this custom system the more i start to feel like it'd be better to just dump it and stick with default rpgm battles.
>>
>>3464394
>using rpgm
You should abandon battle systems entirely and just make a game with good art and story.
>>
Alright, you bastards. You've wore me down. Going to start creating a design document while I figure out the other stuff.

Figured it's going to be a 3rd person RPG with 1st person battles(Think Sweet Home or Dragon Warrior on the NES), or just a straight up 1st person dragon crawler.

Anyone have a engine recommendation? Heard some good about Godot, but not 100% sure how it would handle the isometrics of a 1st person.
>>
>>3452247
>>3452072
Retarded puns. Good thing I'm retarded and find it funny
>>
File: movie_080.webm (1.92 MB, 854x480)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB WEBM
>>3464353
lore. every nation in the world has been assembled in the greatest army history has ever seen. they set out to the ancient north for one purpose: to conquer the wicked Ark, an ancient evil fortification that is in fact a crashed alien starship.
i didn't actually write the lore, it's an adaptation of my favorite semi-obscure fantasy series.
>>
>>3464394
This but the more time I spent doing custom systems in rpg maker the more I realized I should scrap the whole thing and use an engine to make it from scratch.
>>
>>3464531
Interesting, whats the source material?
>>
>>3464643
having more options and control over your engine means absolutely nothing if you can't think of a way to make it actually fun to play.
i'm dumpstering everything i've worked on and just using dbs.
>>
>>3464654
But are you actually able to make the dbs fun to play?
>>
>>3464657
can at least make it bearable. the project i was working on ended up being a complete disaster design-wise, lol.
>>
Since we are on this topic, what are the typical visual/sound feedback rpg battle systems have?
>health bar diminishing
>enemy/party receive damage animation
>sounds that cue more or less damage ala pokemon
Is this enough? Do I want big numbers on screen?
>>
>>3464663
different/special number popup on critical hit. like bigger or a different color.
>>
>>3464662
Happens to most of us. Simple sometimes is just better than overly complicated. My idea of a good combat system is several simple systems layered on top of each other. Easy to learn hard to master.
>>
>>3463426
Boy meets giant monster robot girl who dies and becomes a zomie
>>
File: movie_097.webm (3.57 MB, 854x480)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB WEBM
>>3464644
R Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing/The Aspect-Emperor

>>3464353
the other reason for this is to have a lot of build options available to the player from the start, since each nation has its own specific classes, each of which starts with different gear and stat bonuses (berserker+greathammer, tracker+longbow, sorcerer+book of fire, etc).

the gameplay is jankcore ps2 musou meets dark souls. but for me all the combat and battle mechanics are really just girding for the story, which i'm telling through cutscenes and dialogues.
>>
>>3464520
You are my target audience
>>
>>3464730
cool but does he then pilot her while sitting in her progressively rotting insides while she gets more and more embarrassed about how gross it is in there?
>>
>>3464930
Disgustingly good idea my friend
>>
>>3464663
Sounds for healing, missing and reflected moves.
>>
File: 1713974577894112.png (402 KB, 900x900)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
what animals should i add in my rpg
>>
>>3465778
bats
>>
File: attack skill ideas.jpg (134 KB, 920x445)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Still thinking about all the attack skills a warrior class might have
>>
Why do I feel an update for rpgmaker mv (Steam version) seems to have fucked the way can you no longer edit games that you have deployed to change minimal stuff in your project from the deployed version and now can only make change with the rpgmvn project file. Maybe I'm just crazy and thought it was possible...
>>
>>3465802
Health of target can be expanded to any stat of target. Like less speed == more damage.
>>
>>3465778
Human beings
>>
>>3466390
Degenerate.
>>
>>3464930
Knowing the internet, this HAS to exist somewhere, and you better tell me the sauce number right now.
>>
File: sonic-heroes.png (137 KB, 261x478)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>3465780
Based Rougetard
>>
>>3466729
i am sorry i quite literally made it up on the spot
you're probably right in that it exists somewhere, though
>>
File: doom doom.jpg (53 KB, 500x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I'm a complete and utter hopeless artlet. Every time I try to get into this shit the artfaggotry gatekeeps me the fuck out.
>Just use free sprites
>Just use AI bro
I refuse to do either.
So I caved in and ordered a graphic tablet. I'll prolly just drop everything again after dicking around with it for a few days.
>>
>>3466747
Yeah best to stop now, you come across as the kind of person to commit suicide over bad reviews.
>>
File: space funeral.png (39 KB, 640x480)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>3466747
stop thinking that art needs to "look good" (whatever that means) in order to have value, be memorable, or be fun to make.
>>
>>3466751
So far I've never actually invested into anything for the gamedev meme.
I've just put down a 100 Jewros, and if before my faggy character kept me from progressing, now my inner Jew will take over and force me to do it in order to recoup the 100 Jewros.
We're all gonna make it brahs.
>>3466752
Even if the art is "ugly", it can still have a pleasing or at least interesting aesthetic, an allure to it. Thing is you still have to be skilled to pull off an aesthetic.
>>
>>3466747
I drew for 2 years using only a mouse. The thing about art is that you'll always look at it and think it looks like shit, that's normal. The approach is to use that feeling of unsatisfaction as a motivation to get better, to compare yourself to previous works you did so you'll notice the small things you're doing better. It's a field where you can spend your entire life discovering new things, so the question isn't when you'll become an artist but when you'll become confident enough in your work to call yourself one.
>>
>>3466747
>>3466759
Arttard here. Sometimes you have to settle. Learn some fundamentals and settle on a style that isn't to taxing on yourself.
Bad with line art? Go lineless.
Bad with colors? Use black and white with a single base color.
Hell, just chose some pallets of one of those websites.
I just changed my style a week ago to fit something I would like. It takes a little longer to finish but, I enjoy the process more.
For me, to be happy with my art is to identify what's wrong with it and come with a solution that's won't frustrate me.
>>
File: 1000056638.jpg (30 KB, 637x635)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>3459793
>>
>>3447711

> BIG UPDATE!

I've finished making The GamerGate 2 Game. It is now out and playable.

>Download Link:
https://sigmasuccour.itch.io/false-gamergater
-
>>
That was a tough week, time to get back to progress.
>>
>>3465559
Oh yeah thats good attack feedback for all outcomes.
>>
>>3467367
Time to review! Remember when last time I reviewed a game you took it as an attack and blocked me? Let's see if this continues to be spiritual malware.
>>
>>3467367
Ok fair fucks that was fun. The writing is lunacy, but it's a decent game. 2/5
>>
>>3467367
TL;DR review having just played it - Salik mass murders a game studio while abortion jokes play out, except this time his wife tells him he's muscular and has a big dick.
>>
>>3467710
do they murder homosexuals in the game?
>>
>>3467919
One of the people you murder is a female games journalist there to visit their girlfriend, so yes.
>>
>>3467924
based
>>
File: error.png (364 KB, 1366x768)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
I don't understand this part. What am I supposed to do?
>>
>>3468029
>I don't understand this part. What am I supposed to do?

Ah, this is an issue during loading / retrying. Restart the game with F5, and continue / load from the first slave slot (labelled as) autosave to continue.
>>
>>3468041
Ok. But what am I supposed to do to not die?
>>
>>3447711
im trying my best but the square i made in sdl won't move. i feel like im getting bullied and im 3 feet tall.
>>
File: 2024-04-26T20-04-03-738Z.png (746 KB, 1920x1200)
746 KB
746 KB PNG
>>3468053
>Ok. But what am I supposed to do to not die?
Well, you're suppose to attack the enemy.
And keep attacking them until they fall.
See if you can figure it out, how to win.

If you can't, you may want to skip the play-testing part in the game. (It is an optional thing.)
>>
>>3468060
how do I attack? I can't only teleport around.
>>
>>3468070
>When you're being attacked. A popup displays. You want to press the 'Z' / Action key to attack.
>>
>>3468075
Nothing is popping up. I get hit like 18 times and it sometimes goes to an error screen or sometimes goes to a black screen to retry.
>>
>>3468041
The combat in the game is fucking dogshit mate, "mash Z but it only works sometimes" is not good content
>>
File: 123-1.webm (2.5 MB, 864x540)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB WEBM
>>3468076
Would you be able to video capture it and show?
Here's a video of what it looks like on my end.
>>
File: 2024-04-27 15-38-33.webm (3.83 MB, 816x624)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB WEBM
>>
>>3468120
Are you... holding or mashing the 'Z' / Action key before the enemy even touches you?
Because that's suppose to happen if you do that. XD
You have to touch the enemy, allow the pop-up to occur, and press the Z key at the right time. Mashing or holding it too early will result in you taking damage. (This is intentional)
>>
>>3468091
>>3468120
Hahahaha you incompetent pencil dick FUCK you made shit combat and had it not even work
>>
>>3468137
What SHIT design you are an embarrassment
>>
>>3468140
>What SHIT design you are an embarrassment
Ah, I'm glad it at-least works. And nothing's wrong on a technical level. XD
Thank you for the feedback. I will consider improving on the battle design in future releases.
>>
>>3468145
Lots is wrong on a technical level if dying makes you crash you incompetent fuck
>>
>>3468145
I streamed your game today for people and they all thought the writing was embarrassingly shit. Presentation is alright but you clearly don't understand the issues you're talking about because of how much you conflate inaccurately. Please consider making a normal video game in stead of trend chasing.
>>
>>3468146
>if dying makes you crash
It retried fine in the video you sent. So, it works mostly. XD
I'll see to it if I can fix it for the few times it fails. Thank you for the feedback on that too.
>>
>>3468155
The game is full of softlocks and crashes. You should be embarrassed to have released in such a state
>>
File: image-23.png (142 KB, 838x477)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
Never forget, both sigma's games about his marriage feature themes centring around abortion. Add that to the gay bashing and you've got a real piece of shit.
>>
File: 2024-04-26T20-11-55-535Z.png (429 KB, 1920x1200)
429 KB
429 KB PNG
>>3468153
>>3468156
Thank you thank you.
I will patiently wait for more feedback. More streams that I can see. More reactions.
And based on the amalgamation of feedback. Will move forward accordingly.
>>
>>3468160
Good. Both should be shamed.
>>
>>3468168
But he's pro abortion?
>>
>>3468163
Here's some feedback: you wasted your time and outed yourself as a real piece of shit.
>>
>>3468155
I sent the video. I'm not the anon calling you names.
I finally got past it. But it was dumb luck. I just had rhythm going.

I don't really understand how the pop up...pops up.

A few times the bar got stuck on the screen. Or the enemy would be locked in an animation. So it's definitely glitchy.
>>
>>3468203
>A few times the bar got stuck on the screen. Or the enemy would be locked in an animation. So it's definitely glitchy.
This is noted, thank you.
>>
>>3468203
Calling a spade a spade isn't name calling, anon
>>
File: Rju0ji.png (42 KB, 347x260)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
I made a thing, any feedback is appreciated
https://jameseqa.itch.io/dream-game
>>
>>3468240
it looks charming and all, but asking for 10 grand of other peoples' money to make it is a bit wild. most indie games don't ever make that much money total
i do wish you lads the best of luck tho
>>
>>3468160
>gay bashing
Based?
>>
>>3468372
I'm with this guy. Moreso for an rpg maker game.
>>
>>3468372
>>3468473
Thanks for taking a look. Ignoring the Kickstarter, does it play ok? Is it any fun?
>>
>>3468181
Is he? I don't think that's haram Sigma.
>>
File: angry pixel todd.gif (328 KB, 256x256)
328 KB
328 KB GIF
>>3468624
it's boring and not even grounded, it's the worst of all possible worlds
>>
Bump.
>>
>>3468240
>unknown dev appears out of literally nowhere
>"i made thing"
>"btw pay me lol"
you can fuck right back off to reddit. never come here to advertise your soulless slop again.
>>
>>3447711
>Post your work/progress on your soon-to-be RPG masterpiece!

Made a game release trailer for False GamerGater

> See video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vajJENKUdCI

-

>Download Game:
https://sigmasuccour.itch.io/false-gamergater
>>
>>3470048
Fuck off, cunt. Fuck OFF. You already made your own containment thread you stay there you fucking MOOK.
>>
>>3462957
I got you, and yea classes are not the only way to customize a character, each weapon provides a set of weapon skills, and characters can either dual wield or use a weapon + shield. So there are quite literally thousands of possible builds depending on mainhand, offhand, sidearm, main class, and subclass.

Will try to make sure there are no redundant cases, but the 36 class number allows a symmetrical class growth system, which may not be necessary but I feel it is important to make sure each class is required for a specific class to be reached at the next tier.

Example, Cleric + Knight = Paladin, Cleric + Monk = Mystic, etc., with each base class leading to 3 classes from base tier to tier 2, and for a combination of each tier 2 class leading to a tier 3 class.

Also, is the RPGMaker forum down for anyone else right now?
>>
>>3470612
There's dozens of rpg maker forums.
>>
>>3470644
meant the official one but it seems like it is up now. Was concerned I got the banhammer for talking back to a power user or two

Now that you mention it though, what other forums are there? I know of the French one, the Furry one, the .net old one, and the official English speaking one, but that is about it.
>>
bump
>>
>>3470721
need a new thread, we reached limit here
>>
>>3470737
I'm being daft and didn't noticed the bump limit.
>>
do not make a new thread until this one dies. and also, don't link back to this thread in the new one's op. that's why the one that was made earlier got deleted.
>>
I've been making the sack (the compendium for those who have played some Persona).
You buy monsters from a giant cunt in exchange for pubic hair.
I think it's the last menu I still had to make.

With sound: https://webmshare.com/play/7aO65
Alt link: https://files.catbox.moe/9h5c1b.webm

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.