[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712228818659376.png (2.2 MB, 1280x720)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
>Xenoblade 1/X
>FF 12/13
>White Knight Chronicles 2
Are there really no other SP focused games out there? You know, the ones that capture aspects of autobattling and the love or hate hotbar wankery?
Everything I look at is either a Diablo clone or a CRPG
>>
>>3462777
Wandering Sword is a weird middle case where it has free move and cooldown bars and all that but puts it in Kiseki style iterated battles. I thought it worked but it probably isn't exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>3462777
all the dragon quest games have auto setup. Try the mon games on GBC or DW3 to start. DQ11 has this too. Otherwise your only option would be a chinese gacha.
>>
>>3462780
Huh didn't realize it had a real-time mode

>>3462782
It's not quite autobattle that scratches the itch unfortunately. It's kind of the micro management of skills/cooldowns while in real-time combat that gets partially automated because you're juggling so much shit. At best I can call it mmo-lite, because otherwise most autobattlers tend to be about setting up your build and sitting back as you melt the enemies (FF12 is what probably the closest middle ground between the two)
>>
>>3462794
Yeah I know what u mean. They don't exist unfortunately. I've been through every english rpg on emu sites and wikipedia, everywhere I could find more. They just don't exist. FF12 was an experiment be glad you have that I guess.
>>
>>3462794
>Huh didn't realize it had a real-time mode
You can toggle freely in battle but for someone reason it isn't mapped if you're playing on a controller, so you have to click it (top right corner) with the mouse. May have changed since I played, which was at launch. I personally only used real time for random encounters though.
>>
>>3462777
Do not list FF13 though because Ch.11 is when the game gets open and oh boy I was disappointed. It felt more empty world than open world. However 13:LR is def an mmo-lite and it's probably because of Tri-Ace involvement. As for other open world auto battlers; I'd also include:
>Nier:Automata and Replicant
>Dragon Age games
>FF XV and XVI
>Xenoblade 2 and 3 (you didn't mention those but both have auto battle options)
>>
>>3462802
FF13 was so sad. I played FFX so I was like okay, this is fine. Can't wait for all the endgame!

>Kill 7 adamantoise
that's the endgame. What in the fuck were they thinking? Pretty sure they even stuffed this one full of cosmetic DLC too.
>>
If you are open to playing 13 OP, then you should 100% play 13-2. The gameplay is fucking amazing. The endgame is long and grindy. ATB fighting but it can be mostly automated and you just switch to sentinel / healer when u need to tank something. FF 13-2 is actually one of my favorite games.
>>
File: 1699531542978956.png (3.41 MB, 1920x1080)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB PNG
>>3462796
You think the indie scene would pick it up, but almost every one I've tried is just trying to relive vanilla wow days
>>
>>3462802
I swear to this day the "it finally gets good at the end" was an elaborate troll that people ate right up. I enjoy 13 despite its numerous flaws but Pulse is probably the worst offender for padding a game out to lock off the ending.

>>3462808
Ah I forgot to put it there. Yeah 13-2 would easily be a 10/10 for me if they fleshed out the combat more. Sanding off 13's rough edges is great but the mon collection fell so short of adding anything novel to it. There's also something to be said about late game enemies showing the "time to aim for" being upwards of 4-5 minutes each.
>>
uhhhh
So I can't say if it's a real suggestion or not but I also like games like this and loved WKC.
Apart from .hack, you may want to try one of the sword art online games. I've had them recommended to me before for MMOstyle games, the one I have on my wishlist is hollow realisation so that's prob the one. Not sure about the others.

Godspeed OP. I might just emulate WKC if it's playable on RPCS3 nowadays.
>>
File: 1691425787606819.png (68 KB, 1283x265)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>3463150
Unfortunately I think WKC still crashes at random points
Didn't think about SAO, the PSP one got a patch and I'm pretty sure that's the only one that has auto-attacking
>>
>>3462777
This game 'Septaroad Voyager' may be something to look over. It's early access but at least it's possibly something to
look forward to.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2091620/Septaroad_Voyager/
>>
>>3463251
Hi codex
>>
>>3463251
>We want the SaG-I mean Octopath & FFXII audience
kinda based I guess
>>
>>3463150
I wish WKC was better. I loved certain parts of it, but ultimately never got far. I also completely missed when online was active, so they didn’t help. My tolerance for mediocre games has increased quite a bit, so maybe I should give it another try.
>>
>>3462777
Have you tried the Tales of series? You have random battles, but other than that the auto attacks are automated and you control any character on your team you want manually while the others are on auto just like Xenoblade. I've personally only played the older ones but I think the new ones still have the same system.

You should also look into Star Ocean, Rogue Galaxy and Valkyrie Profile 2, all for PS2.
>Star Ocean. Check the latest version and work backwards until you find one you like the look of.
>Rogue Galaxy. Just play this, it has great side-systems and item grinding as well on a scale similar to Xenoblade.
>Valkyrie Profile 2. Direct sequel to VP1, I recommend you play that first or watch a playthrough but the 2nd game changes the battle system to be what you're describing and you get to pick your party members to customize your team/build.
>>
>>3466156
I forgot about the auto mode in Tales. Correct me if I'm wrong though, unless you disable everyone from using skills, it's pretty much just auto-battle. And even then you'll just have to constantly pause and menu for skills
All the others you listed do come close but their reliance on input-to-attack falls on the action side instead of the tab targeting side.
>>
File: 1713228268546921.png (1.32 MB, 710x1000)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>3462777
From my own research seems like GW1 is the closest I'll find. Early game has NPC companions that help you out, but once you hit level 20, a later expansion has permanent NPC companions that you can fully customize
I also forgot entirely about the Dragon Age games but Origins always came playing as either a CRPG with constant pausing or an action game like 2/DAI would become.
Not that RtWP CRPGs don't come close, the problem is that they always feel like turn based but sped up with a focus on party builds and steamrolling enemies rather than playing around with the chaotic tactics that comes rom hotbaring your abilities in real time
>>
>>3466420
Yes you can complete the vast overwhelming majority, if not everything, with customizable AI companion builds. Guild Wars has three standalone campaigns and one expansion; Nightfall provides the fastest access to Heroes which are the customizable companions. but every campaign(/outpost), from the very start, has Henchmen which are premade companions.
You can, of course, play with others at any time but the actual combat/exploration/gameplay is instanced.
>>
>>3466420
yeah that's actually a good one. It is really fun I got the collection for 12$ on steam during a sale
>>
File: 66033108_p0.jpg (200 KB, 1200x1683)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYhcXmXSB0
>>
>>3462777
I've been looking into "single player MMO" titles throughout the week and fishing for some titles in the /v/ archive.
Final Fantasy XII is constantly being accused of being one yet it's easily my favorite of all FF. FFXII nailed party management and combat for me. It also made me curious about MMOs but I grew to despise all MMOs because of the players/online component. Single player MMOs set in a large world? Sounds great! I personally don't care about the auto-battle aspect for the character I'm controlling.

>FFXIII
Maybe you mean its sequels? I never touched those. The original is kind of pathetic in all sorts of ways. A huge step back from practically anything before it. Or you mean you like it just because of auto-battle? Eh...
>Xenoblade series
I've yet to play them but they look perfect. I've also been told by Genshin players to try them.
>White Knight Chronicles series
It's stuck on PS3.
>Diablo clones
I heard Grim Dawn is great.
>CRPGs
I played Tyranny and PIllars of Eternity. They had some options for party members but they were so lackluster it was embarrassing that these games came after FFXII.

I don't know how much these games will fit your tastes but they've all been called single player mmos by anons on multiple occasions:
>Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
>Kindgoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning
>Dragon Age Origins/Inquisition
>Monster Hunter series
>Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition
>Bethesda games since Morrowind
>Genshin Impact, though always online

These games sort of already "are" single player MMOs by default because they're set in one:
>.hack// series
>Sword Art Online series
>CrossCode
>>
Then there is a range of MMOs that got converted into single player games one way or another:
>Dragon Quest X Offline (english translation patch available but it might not even fit the criteria because the combat is generic DQ not at all like in the online version)
>World of Warcraft's Single Player Repacks like Dinkledork's Repack (very high quality with custom content)
>Ragnarok Online has solo offline play repacks (though I haven't researched it yet)
>Ultima Online Ruins & Riches (as far as I know it has a custom map and story)

Also, it might be worth mentioning private servers of dead or old MMOs. I couldn't really find anything on an offline single player version of Final Fantasy XI that "just works". XI (classic) is consantly being called a predecessor of XII and has a large world so natuarlly it intrigued me. There is a CatseyemodXI server that looks interesting for solo play.

>>3462802
Why Nier? Isn't that an action-adventure series?

>>3462809
I am more surprised that games that already use RTWP don't have an extensive gambit system.

>>3463251
>negroid npcs
way to ruin your work

>>3466420
Sadly, it requires online. Also, the game costs 40€$ still? It's never on sale.
>>3466947
How long are the campaigns?
>>3466957
I heard you can't reuse your e-mail if you want to connect with an existing account.
>>
>>3467089
Pretty sure you can. I linked my 15 y.o. guild wars 2 account to the new steam account no problems.
>>
File: 1710350655658992.png (585 KB, 561x823)
585 KB
585 KB PNG
>>3467089
>MMO Repacks
fuck me I clearly haven't been looking in the right places, never even knew these existed
that's awesome, thanks

>>3467093
wonder if my demo disc account is still on their servers
>>
>>3467017
>I may know the answers
>though one question I still hear
>what twist in fate has brought us
>to roads that run so near
Nobuo was looking to absolutely demolish his peak when he wrote this and answers and I think he managed it. Although he was contributing less and less to the soundtracks he was producing far more emotional pieces.
Gonna tear up like a little toddler when it plays in dawntrail.
>>
>>3467089
>I couldn't really find anything on an offline single player version of Final Fantasy XI that "just works". XI (classic) is consantly being called a predecessor of XII and has a large world so natuarlly it intrigued me. There is a CatseyemodXI server that looks interesting for solo play.
Oh, yeah there's a bunch of servers but they all run off of landsandboat https://github.com/LandSandBoat/server between that and guides you can setup a single player offline environment for XI & CoP.
Unless you really want to be offline or tweak yourself into a god retail is on level with it but like private servers aren't going to be offline. Rhapsodies of Vana'diel and trusts have changed the game substantially, RoV provides access to more trusts early, makes things cheaper/easier, accelerated levelling and trusts are your AI companions you'll rely on. Once you get into the quests/challenge system you'll boost yourself through but still require help from some other players.
One example you may need help is one of the first missions in the base game/zilart expansions, there's a gate you need to pass through but it's reliant on getting a drop from timed monsters so you can spend upwards of around 2-3 hours and not see it. On LSB I guess you'd give yourself the items to complete it the intended way but on retail etc you'd ask a linkshell/some people to help you get through the door to sync to the home point and beat the boss.

Retails main downside is it's price, it'll go on sale sometime between now and June for £10/$USD instead of it's usual price but it also costs £10~ per month to sub to; more expensive than XIV.
>>
>Why Nier?
Because it fits on what he asked. Both games are open world RPGs with auto combat that play like the other games I mentioned and to be really honest with you there's isn't much more than what I said as it's a very niche sub-genre. Almost everything else mentioned in this thread is either a normal rpg or game with no auto combat.
>>
>>3462802
>>Xenoblade 2 and 3 (you didn't mention those but both have auto battle options)
not OP but 2 and 3 are way worse at that than 1 and X.
They have their merit, but generally not similar enough.
I think main issue is worse world design, worse sidequests, more focus on story and lack of equipment.
Which is a huge shame, but it takes a bit more than autobattle to scratch that it. (And overall battle redesign in 2 and 3 makes auto attack almost worthless further into the game)
>>
>>3468067
I'm a huge DoD & NieR simp and when you talk about auto combat I get the feeling you're talking about remakelipicant instead of rawdog Gestant/Replicant 1.0.
Also when I think of MMO lites in the sense of actual MMO structure or games like WKC or Xeno I really gotta say that NieR sits at the back of my mind. It's a weird one to throw out.
>>
>>3467017
Offline XI when?
>>
>>3468908
Take the price of a AAA title and sub to retail FF11 for that many months. Between the trust system for combat and RoE giving you access to all important items, you can play 99% of that game solo. 4 months of playtime is enough to experience everything and it's better value than any other game for that price.
>>
>>3469144
4 months playing 12 hour per day tho right?
>>
>>3469159
Are you complaining about getting more content for less money?
>>
>>3469162
Nah it's an honest question. I've put thousands of hours into mmos and I'm burned out. I still find FF11 interesting and I've watched a review of the modern mechanics a few months ago. I believe you can hire npcs now but the overall mechanics haven't changed much? Xp loss on death, etc. I think it's a cool game but I missed out on my chance to enjoy it. Just curious. Looking for a real answer from a player.
>>
>>3462777
I mean the .hack games are the most literal interpretation of this. You play as a kid stuck inside an MMO.
>>
>>3469165
>Xp loss on death
This was removed a long time ago, you don't even need to rest to recuperate anymore. You can get through it all very fast if you want to be fast.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Quickstart_1-119_Guide
It should go on sale for $10 in a few days probably, then you'll have 14 days free and there's probably going to be a free login campaign for the remainder of the month but you'll have to sub first and it'll be prorata
>>
>>3469515
If you do end up trying it out, take the time to set up Ashita or Windower, I like Ashita v4, and dgvoodoo. An Xbox SeX controller is recommended. If you have questions ask here or on /vm/ and I will help.
>>
>>3468908
>Offline XI when?
I pray every day. I'm hoping CBU III put Komoto and a few others onto the job but I don't think it'll happen soon.
Komoto will prob go back to his usual XIV role in Dawntrail and the other XI devs will continue to work on the new adventuring foray/exploration zone.
Private servers still suck for this, it's hardlocked into CoP with some treasures atm with a bunch of stuff still not supported.
>>3469159
>4 months playing 12 hour per day tho right?
Depends on how efficient you are. For a first timer it takes a while, for vets going through following a guide it's not too bad.
RoE & RoV dramatically boost levelling speed, time it well with challenges and you're zooming.
I got a bit of a comparison of the levelling process recently. It took me a good amount of time to get to 70 on WAR without doing all that, but going through and doing MNK after a bunch of rhapsodies stuff, not needing to do limit break quests and spamming lvling in parties in zi'tah and other zones I hit 70 really fast. The gain experience challenge is very broken for this along with the exp boosts from RoV.

Ultimately how much value you get from an XI sub depends on your free time. I get why the sub can feel bad. If you only play a few hours a week it's a steep sub price but if you play a couple hours every day it stings less.
>>3469518
I'll also +1 on Ashita V4. Takes a bit of time to learn but it's definitely worth it. Same with DGvoodoo if you want stuff like clean nearest neighbour texture filtering.
Ashita V4 will require you to prob use discord but only to browse the V4 plugins channel, once you get the repos of the extra plugins you want you don't really need to use it too much.
>>
>>3468800
I feel like the exact opposite of everything you said (specially about 2) which is cool. I loved the new game design, the worlds and quests in it and also became a huge fan of the OST and all that probably helped a lot because the story itself left me cringing at a lot of moments. Just listen to those bangers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtYIZ6O_VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Ih-D49QJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbIrBrCozA

Hell; even the gacha system was kinda nice and made me put more than 130h in this game. About 3 I'd agree with you in some points though and my biggest disappointment was the story which was way worse than 2, but the gameplay and OST made up for it.

>>3468880
Yeah, I'm talking about the remake + Automata as I said. I think the answer here is that it fits OPs description and to be fair if I was to make a more restrict list I'd not have included them + the 2 FFs in that post.
>>
>>3469589
to each their own, I long burn out discussing failures of 2.
it is really rare to see game series with so many opposing views on games in that series
>>
>>3462777
Kingdoms of Amalur
>>
>>3462777
honestly should just call it tab targeting combat bc autobattle means too many things (jrpg speed up, auto chess, and now all that mobile shit)
>>
>>3462777
I like the xenoblade games and DAO, I think FF12 sucks balls. Anything more MMOey/actiony and less RTwP with these systems?

>>3468800
>XC3 worse side quests than 1
are you high?
>>
>>3470985
>are you high?
no?
They are slightly better than 2, but overall huge downgrade from 1 and X. Hardly any alternate solutions outside few exceptions.
Too much focus on hero characters due game systems too.
>>
>>3470994
sorry guv but if you think 1 has better side quests than 3 you have a mental deficiency. They also BTFO X's
>>
>>3470997
I ain't gonna waste my holiday in proving someone being wrong on the internet.
>worse than X
you should play that game instead of talking about it
While we can argue about 1 to certain point, X is superior basically to most modern games I'm aware of regarding sidequests.
>>
>>3471017
So much of what's fantastic in 3 was first done or at least heavily influenced by so much of X. Even if 3 does some things better than X(which you can argue) it just makes me appreciate X more
>>
>>3471738
Outside of optional tyrants I beat everything 3 has. Including DLC.
There was nothing remotely similar to X.
They are incomparable to me.
>>
>>3471017
Most of X's side quests are shitty, there are a handful of standouts and the character side quests are worse than the ones in 3. 3 has the highest amount of quality side quests, although X is second in front of 1/2
>>
>>3471815
we both will stay with our own opinions, let's end it at that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.