[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fft translations.jpg (440 KB, 1640x1642)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
PSP FFT has an OBJECTIVELY bad localization
>>
>>3464258
Alexander o smith is fun to read
You seem like some kind of faggot
>>
Literally the only reason why this shit game is good is thanks to the flavor localization
>>
>>3464258
>appeal to authority with a language model
>can't argue his own point
lol, npcs are really going to pretend they are human with these things, aren't they?
>>
>>3464264
WotL wasn't Smith, it was a cheap knock-off. That's why it sucks, though OP is muddling things by being retarded
>>
>>3464267
Kill yourself
>>
>>3464258
everybody already knew this but it's really fucking funny to me that you had to ask an ai if you're allowed to think it's true
>>
>>3464258
I objectively don't care because I like it
>>
>>3464322
Never misunderestimate the bad taste of some people on this board.

That reminds me. Why isn't there an Arrested Development style 2000s political thriller SRPG? You'd think that would be niche enough people would cover it.
>>
So I guess you guys can use these tools to put out a better translation and patch it, right?
>>
File: images.jpg (26 KB, 339x196)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3464258
You don't translate "Howdy" to "Hi."
It's a greeting, yes, but that's secondary to characterization.

In this case he is mocking, Meliadoul, correct? The literal translation about her father being a lucavi is redundant.

"Redundant?"

"Yes. Redundant. Repeating what has already been established immediately after it was established."

"You don't say!"

"Fool. I did say! Just now. Repeating myself. I'm the Angel of Death, not a clown."

"It's honestly hard to tell."
>>
>>3464258
>localizers used to make kiddy jap shit more interesting
>esls confounded beyond belief
>pseuds still flipping their lids about it 50 years later
>>
>>3464279
Huh, never realized
Still enjoy it though, I can't imagine many people buttblasted about faux shakespeare in wotl liked it in vagrant story
>>
>>3464705
This, made evident by the fact they had to use chatgpt to tell them what to think about it.
Probably one of the rarer instance of value added translation received in bygone better eras instead of the usual value subtracted we get with modern amerimutt propaganda injections.
>>
>>3464270
Unfortunately, yes. Of all the opportunities offered by AI, the one that will be settled on is dragging everyone into the muck of ignorance.
>>
>>3464819
I'm fine with fancy language, I'm not fine with it being done badly. Vagrant Story and FFXII are done well, WotL and Unicorn Overlord are done badly. That's the difference.

That said, I really think fantasy RPHs should be aiming for Tolkien/Robert E Howard/Fritz Lieber/C. L. Moore levels of semi-purple prose, not Shakespeare. Those are what modern fantasy style is based on, after all. (And they'd still be out of reach of second-rate translators)
>>
File: Eurolaw.jpg (81 KB, 670x676)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>3464943
>>
>>3464982
>That said, I really think fantasy RPHs should be aiming for Tolkien/Robert E Howard/Fritz Lieber/C. L. Moore levels of semi-purple prose, not Shakespeare.
Based.
>(And they'd still be out of reach of second-rate translators)
Bleak.

It's not the style at the heart of the issue so much as over saturation of soulless copycats with little spirit.
Every fantasy story now has a guild, adventurers, and fireballs in a manner of speaking.

No one goes back to the roots of mythology and history and invents a new type of fantasy anymore. It's way too derivative, incestuous a genre now. Like comics right before Moore came on the scene. Like movies right before Star Wars came on the scene. We're at the end of an overused scene here and now, a new breakout act is long overdue, but what I'm really afraid of is people aren't living and creating, they're replicating youtube, memeing. It's automated even now with chatgpt.

>The term meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme, which comes from Ancient Greek mīmēma (μίμημα; pronounced [míːmɛːma]), meaning 'imitated thing', itself from mimeisthai (μιμεῖσθαι, 'to imitate'), from mimos (μῖμος, 'mime').[17][18][19]

It may take a war or something for people to start actually living again to be able to put soul back into something.
>>
>>3464258
Objectively superior localization.
Making a game fun for its localized market is a higher priority than word-for-word translation of sentences.
>>
>>3465020
>making fun of americans bad even doe they are dysgenic as fuck and lack good manners
>>
>>3465746
>Objectively superior localization.
You're objectively gay.
>>
Okay and?
I'll just play it in Japanese if I wanna play FFT I don't, it's the worst Ivalice game
>>
>>3465756
Gaymer, thank you
>>
>>3464258
lmao are you seriously trusting chatgpt to tell you if a translation is good or not, you fucking hylic
>>
>>3464279
>WotL wasn't Smith, it was a cheap knock-off.
It's worth mentioning that it had two of the dudes who worked with Smith on Matsuno's other games and I believe either used to work or still currently work at Smith's TL house. Not that it means Smith did it, it is just worth noting it isn't like it is totally divorced from the TL work on the other Matsuno titles that Smith did. The primary difference was, notably, the inclusion of Koji Fox on the staff. Which is probably where most of the poorly written stuff comes from.
>>
What are the poorly written parts supposed to be? I only remember thinking it was overwrought a handful of times and none of them were bad enough to remember specifically
The couple of times the old tl was really funny like blame yourself or god would have been kept if wotl were from the time when everyone is on social media and memeing and maybe that would have been fine, but being consistent is nice too
>>
>>3466218
*Unicorn overlord really is bad though, based on the demo anyway
>>
>>3464258
>Using chat gpt to scrutinize stylized dialog
“Ai” is soulless, of course it’s going to prefer sterile direct text over expressive writing when assessing clarity. This is a stupid exercise.
>>
>>3466885
It could be "soulless" but it's sure as hell better to read "sterile direct text" over fluffy fruity fanfiction.
>>
>>3467208
Buenos dias, sen~or, you have based and checked excellent trad taste! You will continue to shitpost away the pig-dog American imperialist fanfiction with our comradegpt robots.
>>
>>3467208
I disagree.
>>
>>3465142
I feel like D&D was responsible for the first great blandening of fantasy, then video games were the second wave, and finally the internet has blandified everything.

And like you, I have no idea how we get out of the internet blandness, because you just can't create your own thing if you're constantly bouncing off and trying to fit in with thousands/millions of people. "AI" just makes it even worse.

Be yourself...the same as everyone else.
>>
>>3467208
You know you can both not want troonslators AND like stylized translations like ff12 or vagrant story right

This is something conservacunts everywhere do, they try to raise every issue to a poorly considered matter of principle instead of just punishing enemies and rewarding friends
>>
>>3464258
>Seething about weeb vidya
>Asking the ai for validation
Truly NPC behaviour.
You should jump through the closest window again and again until it's done.
>>
>>3464258
>so braindead he actually values a mindless AI's opinion over his own and thinks it has any real value in proving his point
Kek
>>
>>3467208
Then just read it in Japanese you fucking mong.
This may surprise you but very, very, very few games in Japanese have flowery dialogue or prose.
If you wanted stilted, banal text then trust me fella, it's all there for you.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.