[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (160 KB, 616x353)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Hopes? Fears?
>>
File: 1681499296690318.gif (729 KB, 189x189)
729 KB
729 KB GIF
>>1722101
stop remaking old games or making clones of old games and pretending they're new games
>>
>>1722113
not happening anytime soon
Market is obsessed with safe bets, and remakes are seen as such
>>
>>1722101
Honestly they don't really need to change anything in terms of balance, because I can't really remember anything inherently too broken... Maybe Loki's hero rush, and Gaia?
I'm kinda worried about them changing the story though, because I already see tree lady (Gaia?) before the expansion.
>>
I want Atlantis nerfed or at least the other nations' gatherer units buffed. Since they're making most god powers as cooldown abilities, hopefully it'll mitigate Atlantis power spam faggotry.
>>
>>1722302
>Since they're making most god powers as cooldown abilities
Why? Are they trying to make each game longer?
>>
>>1722397
I'm guessing they're trying to make them more relevant in plays
>>
>>1722397
>Why
Because God Powers and Myth Units are the main selling point of the game, and shit like Plague of Serpents is useless if you can only use it once.
>>
It's gonna be shit just like Age of Empires 4.
>>
>>1722449
As far as I concerned, they didn´t put a 2 in the title.
>>
File: file.png (1.06 MB, 1149x659)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>
>>1724914
>its real
oh god
>>
>>1722101
>Prostagma?
>>
>>1724914
Wut. Where does that belong on the furry scale? The eyelashes are what sells this.
>>1724916
It could be just sillyposting like some of the other stuff on their Twitter. It looks AI generated in the first place.
>>
>>1722213
wat the balance was terrible
>>
>>1724914
100% AI generated.
There's 0 hope for this game.
>>
>>1724942
details are too similar, its over
>>
File: file.png (970 KB, 960x540)
970 KB
970 KB PNG
>>
File: file.png (1.76 MB, 1080x1280)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>1725021
>>
>>1724997
It was alright I remember, at least per race (not too sure about Chinese as I never played that). Each culture had at least one tier-1 major god if I remember correctly (Norse - Loki, Egyptians - Set, Greek-Hades, and Atlanteans Gaia). Granted AoM was more prone to rushing then any of the others in the series, so like Titans and Wonders were usually useless additions.
>>
>>1724914
>AI slop
>>
>>1722445
Just implement Atlantean multi-use powers on things that are under-powered then. Putting everything on cooldown seems like changing things for the sake of changing things, especially when there already exists systems to make things work better.
>>
>>1724914
>>1725021
>>1725022
Zero respect for using AI art on this.
FUCK them.
>>
File: file.png (305 KB, 1170x789)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
>>1725349
>>
>>1725351
Sure if their team of assets are called Stable and Diffusion.
>>
>>1722101
>hope they add a bunch of weird gods and nations
>Fears they add YWYH as the only God that matters.
>>
>>1725022
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IM COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMINGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMINNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1725351
The worst is that this is believable.
The absolute state of the woke west.
>>
>>1725383
At most they had some intern adjust the number of fingers out of the AI piece.
No thinking human would've made that shit.
>>
>>1725383
Is using AI woke now?
>>
>>1722113
Why? If you can provide more of something that works why would you not do it? New is just new, it isn't necessarily good. Meanwhile there are a lot of old good ideas left to rot.
>>
>>1725415
Breathing is woke if you are paid to complain about the west.
>>
>>1725415
No it's just a shit practice regardless of your politic opinions.
>>
>>1722101
THIS IS JUST LIKE MY HECKIN' AVENGERINOS
>>
>>1722113
AoM with ranked servers is better than the shit game they would have otherwise made
>>
>>1722213
I think there will be a few extra scenarios but they probably won't interfere with the main story
>>
>>1725022
>>1725021
>>1724914
add some sigma male music and this belongs straight into a pajeet's "ai draw countries as mythological creatures" youtube compilation
>>
>>1725351
sopa de ai
>>
>>1722302
I don't think atlantean eco is that busted, citizens take longer to train
>>
>>1725415
No it just looks like ass
>>
Mods will fix it bros.
>>
>>1724914
Gimme the sauce bitch
>>
>>1726106
The AoM official twitter.
>>
>hopes
I hope it will improve on the original in a meaningful way, though this is very unlikely

>fears
None, if it's shit the original game is still there and I will ignore the remake just like I did with aoe 2, homeworld, and countless others.
>>
>>1722113
>making clones of old games
Unironically the 90s pc scene and most 90s console scene trying to copy arcade
>>
>>1725418
shut the fuck up
>>
It's a shame Age of Mythology never had an expansion and no new civs came out for it. Still, I'm pretty happy with AoM as it is. It has the best singleplayer campaign of all RTS.
>>
>>1727856
>if it's shit the original game is still there and I will ignore the remake just like I did with aoe 2
lol
>>
why is it that everyone says atlanteans are overpowered, even though most of the top pros play greek
>>
>>1728430
Because they only superficially played the game 20 years ago and called it a day.
>>
>>1727906
Titans? Atlanteans weren't in the base game
>>
>>1725351
why?

why would you do this when the originals were so good literally every Web 2.0 site about mythology/deities used them?
>>
>>1726099
That's what people claimed about Extended Edition, mods never fixed it.
>>
Any oldfags here? Hella nostalgic about rts-sanc and eso times rn. I'm about to play some Aom the titans vs bots.
>>
>>1728430
Mulit-use god powers, citizens are their own drop off point, and free favor.
It's more "look how lazily this faction was designed" than "nerf the Atlantians, I'm sick of losing to them".
>>
>>1729334
It's strange that they seem to be designed as a civ for beginners, yet they're in the expansion that you'd only ever get if you've already played the game a lot. Automatons are still cool though.

>>1724914
Yeah fuck this, if this is the '''art''' they're going with then I'm staying far away from the remake
>>
>>1724914
Better spend than one of the gachas that claim to be focused on "otaku culture".
>>
>>1729475
what do you have in mind?
>>
File: Poor Bast.jpg (933 KB, 3068x2598)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
>>1724914
See I wouldn't mid AI, if there was like some level of human hand fixing shit or like adding their taste/style to it. The problem with this is 90~100% just machine, so it just feels a lazy cash grab (or desperate devs without funding).
To note, even if this was actually a human artist (I doubt it), it's still so soulless that it feels like a machine which defeats the purpose.
LIke they didn't even fix the poor Bast's misaligned headband... and everything else...Fuck...
>>
>>1725991
https://youtu.be/qLlJ8pklRb0
https://youtu.be/rkpTB-OXrWk
>>
>>1722302
You guys have it way easy nowadays, back then before voobly fan-patches/EE was a thing, everyone played on 1.03 version and Ouranos was the most broken god because of shockwave.
>>
Its quite hard to make custom scenarios in aom right?
T. Single player fag
>>
>>1730737
kinda, I mean , it's not a modern RTS editor, but it gets the job done
>>
>Manor Lords
>Shadow of the Erdtree
>KCD 2
>AoM Retold (hopefully it's not shit)
It's going to be a good year, bros.
>>
>>1733206
>It never is "a good year"
>>
>>1725351
If they aren't lying then they are idiots, because they didn't need the hacks that made their art. Would be funny if the artists they hired were just using AI art but didn't tell the team for an easy paycheck
>>
>>1729643
i stand corrected, the ai slop looks better
>>
>>1724914
AI peddlers need to be stopped before they kill civilization.
>>
>>1729331
Fistbro. Eso, expert chat, looking for replays on mrfixit rather than lazily watching twitch where watchers can (and will) give their noob opinion.
I played until 2004 or so, and during Covid I checked out the scene again. Man, the game changed a lot since then.
>>
Yeah, talking about noob opinions.
>>1722213
>Loki hero rush and Gaia broken
???????
>>1722445
>Plague of Serpents useless
Random Land player detected
>>1725043
>Tier 1 Loki, Set, Hades, Gaia
Whoa, luckily you squeezed Set in there, otherwise 4 out of 4 would be wrong.
>AoM more prone to rushing
When the meta is literally 2tc boom. Or maybe you say "was" because back in 2004 we were playing fucking 20 min classical wars with singers and spearmen and shit, but that's not how the game is supposed to be played.
There are some rushes that work, but it's not the norm.
>>1725994
>Atty eco not busted
Either you never played Atty, or you main Oranos and have room temperature IQ.
>>1730702
OK, somebody who knows. My god, finally.
>>
>>1733275
Would be funny if he gets outed by gamer autism
>>
>>1733811
>mass replying esports autist
Who asked?
>>
>>1724914
I used to be in favour of AI slop, but this is embarassing. It looks like some incel shooped a cat meme onto a woman's body
>>
>>1734043
>esports autist
One thing is that probably Microsoft is catering to those crowds? I feel that a lot of AoE4's design was "optimized" to capture that market with the franchise name-brand push... Although still losing to AoE2 in terms of fanaticism and prize pool expense. So far original AoM is less than a speck in the e-sports scene, so maybe they're hoping/gambling for it to be the next big thing.
>>
>>1734088
Let's be real, this game isn't going to be very appealing in terms of competitive esports. It's way too gimmicky and is mostly catering to casual millennials who played the campaign 20 years ago; they will buy Retold and stream their easy diff campaign games while holding a coffee mug and going "ah, the nostalgia".
Maybe there will be one medium-sized tournament and that's it. Let's remember that AoM at launch was a decent success but had official support only for one tournament, and probably expecting a lot more would be too optimistic.
Not that it is a bad thing, mind you. In many aspects this game relies more on the fun factor of casting destructive godpowers and commanding powerful myth units rather than on balance, and if that gets stripped out in an attempt of appealing to the competitive environment then I'm afraid not many people will be playing it after a few months.
>>1734043
>who asked
You did, by posting your random ass takes on balance. It's always like this: the less you understand a game, the more vocal you are about what's "op". Maybe you should learn to listen first. But God forbid you don't post your noob opinions anyway.
>>
>>1734088
>So far original AoM is less than a speck in the e-sports scene, so maybe they're hoping/gambling for it to be the next big thing.
Decent change they're going to change too much and turn away both audiences
>>
>>1734292
>Decent chance they're going to change too much and turn away both audiences
They already tried to cater the chinks into it with the very late expansion, and kinda failed at that so... I mean if you're going to market to China I expect 10K+ at least, but it only went low 5k for players at launch Tale of the Dragon. Even the DE's base game only went for 11k at launch (compared to like AoE2:EE's 20k+, or even AoE3:DE's 18k), so I even wonder if this has the nostalgia base it can farm and sustain.
13 year-old me had a lot of good memories with it with my buds in the LAN basement, but I don't think it was ever the popular RTS overall.
>>
>>1722101
It better be fucking good after the shitpile that was Tale of the Dragon.
>>
>>1729613
>>1724914
I have no idea if shit shit is AI slop or not, but I'ld like to remind you all that shitty artists exist and they get hired all the time.
>>
>>1734881
The classic "give trash jobs for stupid people, who probably they,re gonna get shit karma for their poor lifechoices"
>>
>>1734341
AoM had a lot of success early 2000s. You have absolutely no idea how well documented it is in both English and French forums. The game was very much alive til early 2010s until ESO servers got shutdown and made the community split to Voobly and Gameranger. The base game also was hard to install on newer hardware so it didn't help with attracting newer people.
When EE came out, it had crashing problems and was poorly optimized but the main problem is that the dev team balanced the game on their own fashion with no regard to the RTS-sanctuary community who had a monopoly over AoM balance and events for years. It ended up making the OGs not want to move, they stayed on Voobly but the player base kept shrinking over time.
>>
File: boob.png (91 KB, 360x360)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>
>>1735941
No regard to the rts-s community? Did you read the names on the balance team? Magic, Mista, Brick, Nemesis, Lorenzo, I think Kyomaku was in there too. The game was a mess, but mistakes were made also on the balance side by voobly players.
>>
>>1737532
I'm not saying that RTS-sanc community are victims. I'm telling you that after ESO shutdown, there was always something that made the community split when everyone should have moved to EE.
>>
>>1737589
Kinda makes me realize how fanatical the AoE2 fanbase is overall. I mean it's still not as big as Starcraft per say, but at the same time Microsoft doesn't give damn shit compared to Bobby & Blizzard in everything.
>>
>>1737623
What are you talking about? AoE2s playerbase has long since eclipsed SC
>>
>>1737623
Microsoft has been very cautious trying not to anger the fanbase too bad but it's not working.
>>
>>1722302
Citizens gather less than villagers per population used.
>>
>>1722101
>Hopes
Full mod support/adding in new civs/gods instead of replacing base game ones.
>Fears
The reality of the situation.
>>
>>1737668
Do you have the numbers backing that up? I’m tired of cocky, k-pop-obsessed SCfaggots talking shit about AoE
>>
>>1737668
>>1744187
AoE2:DE has like 76k-ish players on ladder for "Random Map Team;" the most popular game mode. SC2 reported 85K-ish of it's active players back February of this year 2024, as a Q1 report for investors. AoE4 seems to have 107k-ish on their ladder "quickmatch 4v4". It's not the most accurate in total active player numbers, as ladder numbers could have multiple accounts, on/off players, etc. Interestingly SC2's 1v1 ladder has 124k in number of metric sites, which is 50% more than the report, and AoE2:DE has more players in Steam Rankings of active players than AoE4. However in either way, AoE2 and AoE4 seems to have a large player base that dwarfs most current RTS, and could be matching or even overtaken SC2 currently.
In terms money flowing SC2 still is the king, and $100k+ is common enough prize pool for their tournament ($400~500k is also frequent). AoE2's prize pool also frequents $100k+, but $50k+ is more common. Funnily enough, even though it's the most in ladder numbers, AoE4 has the shittiest prize pool, and rarely goes to $10K+ (those are for S-tier) and under $1k is the most common. So if AoE2 players says AoE4 is more casual they're completely right in terms of the pro-player infrastructure and network.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALp1dX4pt0
>>
>>1725021
Why does he look like fucking Aquaman?
>>
File: Big Poseidon .jpg (1.07 MB, 2000x2582)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1725021
putting the original art back will be one of the first mods to happen.
they quality difference is laughable
>>
>>1745754
>Just some guys on a boat doing boat stuff
>He just comes up and kills them
Oh yeah that's right, he was a fucking prick in the campaign.
the real mythology is still worse though, more petulant than Zeus.
>>
>>1725022
Looks like when you use that face app to make someone smile.
>>
>>1725022
Spirit wolves don't belong in AoM. This isn't Warcraft 3.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.