[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1699071647057662.png (595 KB, 600x900)
595 KB
595 KB PNG
BTA3062 or Roguetech?
>>
>>1727781
>Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Oh...
>>
>>1727792

The game is already done and finished, so it's not like you need to worry about it getting abandoned. They're already done with it.

>>1727781

Personally, I went with Battletech Revised. I don't give a shit about staying true to the game's lore/balance from the 1980's, nor did the game devs anyway. BR changes some of the balance to make it less retarded.
>>
>>1727781
MegaMek, stop being a pussy.
>>
>>1727781
Roguetech was too much for me. I went for one of the lighter conversions. Can't remember what it's called.
>>
>>1727781
MegaMek and its not even close
>>
>>1727781
Depends on your machine really. I am stuck with Battletech Extended Commander's Edition because it is much lighter on performance.
>>
File: 1681695456755165.jpg (101 KB, 600x600)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
I only played vanilla a long time ago way before the DLCs came out even. Is there a mod which makes light and medium mechs viable throughout the whole game instead of tonnage being just a straight upgrade?
>>
>>1727831
Battletech extended. It's pretty much vanilla+. Adds some things that the heavier mods do but is effectively vanilla on the performance cost. Notably changes how evasion works and makes drop tonnage an actual thing.
>>
>>1727781
Roguetech for life. BTA3062 felt gutted and weird.
Full disclosure I tried Roguetech first but if you have the CPU and space to run it there's no contest.
>>
>>1727799
I've played megamech but the campaigns feel confusing and discordant. Either they need to gamify the other source books into a game or they need to improve the OPFOR generation and just make a mode with a bit of the advanced op shit like repairs and just have a constant railroaded set of skirmished. I feel like the campaign proper needs a GM (as the source book intended). Perhaps I'd appreciate it more if I'd had experience with the tabletop play, especially the campaigns - but I don't. CBT rules are waaaaaaay better than even Roguetech. I don't know why BTA and RT don't just gut HBS properly and fully port shit like being able to turn heat syncs on and off ect. ect.
There's gear that relies heavily on heat management and your only option for heat management is shooting the fucking ground.
>>
>>1727831
RT makes lights viable.
>sprint quad through frontline and rear fire streak-SRM into enemy backs
>RT increases the effect of motive modifiers so moving actually makes you hard to hit
>adds hit malus to sizes too
Lights are fucking brutal. So are BA's if you drop them in the right spots and the enemy is retarded enough to engage them.
However, just like CBT there's always counters to high dodge.
>>
>>1727781
BTA is bloat central, RT is bloat2. Both try to do way more than the game can handle.
>>
>>1728779
They both try to make it more like tabletop, RT succeeds a bit more IMO.
>>
Extended. No push to join an autistic online community and no fantasy Donut-Steel factions.
>>
>>1728890
For me extended would be a perfect mod if it just reworked the starting origin choices and came with additional portraits.
>>
>>1729128
Can't you just throw in some mods for those? Should work perfectly fine.
>>
>>1729132
Yeah it's just an extra step.
Extended just goes 99% of the way and stops right before the finish line and it's a little annoying.
>>
File: 210924143P115H-0-lp.jpg (156 KB, 1200x675)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
This thread reminded me that I never checked the mods for this game so I tried some over the weekend.
BEX is pretty much Vanilla+ as anons already said. It's cool but I already played vanilla so I have no desire to play it this way. It's a great mod for what it does, though. I think it's pretty much a must have for new players.
BTA I found harder than Roguetech to my surprise, maybe because I chose a later starting date. But in BTA my pilots were dying like flies on roughly the same difficulty.
I only played a few missions but in both of them the missions take like x4 time to finish. I felt like Roguetech is far more polished but it is also more autistic about bringing everything from BT from Battle Armor to choppers, UAVs and Vtols which could be too much for some but I find it very intriguing. I didn't have time to properly evaluate each mod, but I think I'll continue with RogueTech for now.
>>
>>1728831
they're both bloated full of retarded non-tabletop bullshit, though, and RT is the worst
bta has a lite mode which is acceptable I guess
>>1729128
portraits at least you can add yourself fairly easily
>>
>Muh bloat
It's time to upgrade your PC bro
>>
>>1729384
>thinks bloat refers to performance
>>
>>1729383
>portraits at least you can add yourself fairly easily
Which mod do I need to change portraits for mercs and NPCs? Cause I tried Portrait overhaul with BEX and it didn't work out
>>
Roguetech pushes tranny faggot communism with its bloat so just uninstall
>>
To quote an ancient post of myself:
>Vanilla+
QoL mods and a few more combined with additional mechs and units.
No longer in active development.

>Expanded Arsenal
Basically the successor to Vanilla+. Even more toys to play with and contracts to use them in.

>Battletech Extended
More extensive than vanilla+ but mostly no gameplay changes uses the entire map of the inner sphere, a ton more mechs and units, additional quirks for pilots and mechs and heavy use of RAT for equipment appearance depending on the the ingame date.

>Hyades Rim
Custom campaign focused on the periphery with custom missions and map. New mechs and ballbusting loadouts for the AI.

>Battletech Revised
Balance focused mod which abandons tabletop for gameplay, never tried it myself but some anons really like it.

>Battletech Advanced 3062
Big overhaul. Substantially changed combat, shooting after sprinting, evasion after movement can't be shot away by enemies, friendly fire etc.
Full innersphere map fedcom war era, tons of new units and quirks.
Uses MechEngineer mod which allows you to change engine, gyros, armor, skeleton etc.
Not bad, I do like MechEngineer but the mod has been moving closer to bloat.

>Roguetech.
Closer to tabletop mod but mostly bloat desu. Adds it all, full map, battle armor, vtol, tanks multiple lances for the player. 30+ initiative phases per combat round, artillery and turret call in.
Has mech engineer and new gameplay rules like BTA. And tons of other content.
Personally not a fan, performance can be ass and at that point I feel like I can just use MegaMek.

>>1729410
Pretty sure you need to either savegame edit or replace the existing portrait files for that.
>>
>>1729449
Thanks for the comprehensive post.
One more question, which one do I pick if I want to go through the campaign? And should I even?
>>
>>1729952
I'd just do a campaign playthrough vanilla then use BEX for a career. The campaign missions will probably break or have extremely fucked difficulty with mods.
>>
>>1727987
>nigga doesn't even know he can disable heat sinks on a per-turn basis
>much less how to weigh opfor and objective generation
Skill issue.
>>
>>1729952
Fiest of all, Vanilla+, Extened Arsenal and BEX are the only options available. The other mods disable the campaign.
Those three will be perfectly functional for playing the campaign but as >>1729956 said difficulty wise they will be fucked.
The campaign basically consists of 2 types of missions:
Story missions and contracts. The latter will be no issue, they are randomly generated,make use of all the mod content and are basically exactly the same as un career mode.
The former on the other hand are scripted missions using specific enemies, as in they're mostly vanilla, which means it's a cake walk.
To put this into perspective:
During mission 5(Liberate Panzyr) you face a few light vehicles, towers and mechs like the Dragon, Panther, jJenner, Trebuchet, Hunchback etc. In the base game you should be able to assemble a lance of medium mechs by that point.
In contrast you have my vanilla+ save for that mission .
95ton Hauptmann:
>Guardian ECM
>1 Clan UAC10
>2 M Pulse Laser
>2 ER L Laser
>3 Clan ER S Laser
>Clan Heatsinks
Hunchback P:
>6 Clan ER M Laser
>Clan Heatsinks
>3 Acc. (Energy) module
Quickdraw:
>4 Clan ER M Laser
>2 Clan SRM6
>Clan Heatsinks
And then I also have the Vapor Eagle and Arctic Wolf clan mediums in full clan gear.
Unsurprisingly that trivializes most enemies.
>>
>>1730119
There's also the anachronisms.
The game takes place when star league tech is a big mythical thing that few have seen. Just casually rolling around with full clan tech kind of deadens the impact of a specific part of the story.
>>
The Skirmish in BTA seems to be fucked, whatever lance I create it doesn't actually save
>>
>>1727831
You can beat the vanilla game using only four light mechs, though. Light mechs actually become invincible and overpowered in the late game, you just don't know how to play.
>>
>>1729960
Nigger clearly does which is why he complained about HBS mods that aim for tabletop play not doing it. Are you fucking retarded?
>much less how to weigh
I'd rather cohesive and enjoyable squads than anything that technically falls into a band of points, price, or tonnage. That's the point. Meklab isn't quite a game yet. The campaigns are just too directionless. I want more than just rolling on tables, cunt.
Is a little coherence too much to ask for?
>>
>>1727781
BEX
>>
No one in this thread is talking about Hyades Rim, which you need to play ASAP and I suggest doing it before mass modding because it isn't compatible with all these huge mod suites.
>>
Are the DLC required for these mods? I only have the base game.
>>
I tried BEX is pretty great, it's a fine line between videogamey approach of Harebrained and the tabletop autism of BTA and Rogue. But man, Bigger Drops mod breaks the UI completely and playing with only 4 mechs sucks so I guess I'll have to put up with it.
>>
>>1731950
Correction: it only screws UI up in the Skirmish mode. The career works fine
>>
>>1731786
It's better to have them, but not necessary. I'd say Urban Warfare is a must since it adds whole new Urban maps with lots of buildings to use as a cover and vantage points if you have jump jets.
>>
>>1731786
I'd recommend at least having the first two if you want to have a fun career mode. Flashpoints are a big deal that help break up the monotony of missions and urban warfare adds another flavor of map.
>>
I don't recall which of these options I've tried before, but around 4 skulls the missions started getting fucking silly, like you'd be jumped by three full lances at once right out of the dropship and you were clearly meant to start cheesing the shit out of the system to survive. Which of them DON'T do that?

I mostly just want an expanded map with noticeable mech differences when going from place to place, so I can derp around the galaxy being murder hoboes and trying out builds with the local flavor. Plus some kind of morale regeneration because it rustles me that building upgrades like space pools and shit are just one-time happy bonuses.
>>
>>1732240
>Which of them DON'T do that?
None? It's basically unavoidable in the game. It's arguably not as crazy with mods that utilize bigger drops, like BTA and RT, because you can have more units too.
But considering AI builds are shit tier the player is always stronger.
>expanded map with noticeable mech differences when going from place to place
Don't think any aside from BEX use RATs or something similar for unit rarity and spawn rate. Any with mech engineer can have more differences but the responsible modules can be put in most mech negating the differences.
>Plus some kind of morale regeneration because it rustles me that building upgrades like space pools and shit are just one-time happy bonuses.
Never had a problem with morale desu, with the boni from events I always tend to get high enough to use abilities at the start of combat. You might have to add a moral mod to whatever you're playing.
>>
>>1732240
RT with certain dif settings. Make sure not to select the extra flavour/challenge settings either like lancer killers or reinforcement/interuption lances.
Knowing how to play isnt cheeseing fyi, and playing smart against clanners is canon in and out of setting. Brute forcing clanners like a retard is an L you earned on your own.
Dif balance is extremely fair at low levels. Play dif based on company or dif universal and only play low skull
>>
>>1727781
>Trannytech
HeavyGear & CyberStorm all day everyday
>>
We're never going to get a Battletech game with big wars and strategic planning, are we? This one runs out of content pretty quickly, you start getting the same missions again and again.
>>
>>1733113
Meklab once they figure it out and move past emulating source books and start simulating pre-made campaigns.
Technically, if you have a couple of lads you can do big wars and strat right now no? If not via Meklab then via tabletop. I've skimmed the rules for it. Not entirely sure what I think of the rulesets, but you know.
I am completely in love with the advanced repair and logistics rulesets (seen in meklab).
>>
>>1733256
If someone with money partnered with Meklab and brought actual money to the table so there could be a graphics engine, or something done in Unreal5, I'd cum
>>
I've tried RT and one other, but I don't remember which. Honestly, people bitch about RT's bloat, but I think having more stuff to customize your mech loadouts with and find the exact combination that makes your dick just the right kind of hard is half the fun in tactics games. My main issue with RT is that my PC is so fucking old that both loading (form an SSD) and turns take forever. Those ultimately made me stop playing it. So if your PC is like mine
>i5-6500 (the chief culprit alongside my ram, I imagine)
>16gb 1333hz RAM
>1060 6gb
you might wanna steer clear
>>
>>1733403
>both loading (form an SSD) and turns take forever
That's not a pc issue. The game engine simply can't handle all the shit that the mod adds. Also why it's recommended to restart the game every other hour when using RT because the memory leak will break shit.
That's why I use the word bloat.

>more stuff to customize your mech loadouts with
MechEngineer and its changes to mech building has basically no effect on it.
Other mods use it and it is technically possible to add it to your own.
Many mods simply choose not to because it erodes the differences between mech chassis and variants, just like the tabletop.
>>
>>1727781
BTA is basically RT lite, the mod teams worked together closely. So if you want a kitchen sink mod go with that because RT is even more bloated and stupid as fuck with LAMs etc. Check out Battletech Extended too as other anons mentioned. Revised is ok, even has some mini mods but development is abandoned last I checked.

>>1731760
I remember seeing that years ago and thinking it needed more time to cook, I'll have to check it out again.
>>
File: we're fine.png (623 KB, 666x666)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
I just want a game that does the Fourth Succession War in its totality, for fuck sake
>>
>>1729952
Play vanilla but before doing so open up the game files, find the list of milestones, open the last milestone and copy the bit about Flashpoints into the milestone where you get the Argo.
Flashpoints are a lot of fun, plus it adds toys from the DLC into the campaign itself.
>>
>>1733836
Wasn't BEX abandoned as well?
>>
>>1731760
Hyades Rim is a real shame because the gameplay is great, but the story is atrocious.
>>
>>1733836
>and stupid as fuck with LAMs
LAMs are based. The series ripped off macross from the start.

>>1733949
Why? You'd be playing mercs anyway so the background story barely matters. Otherwise you'd have to play in canon conflicts
>play as Cap
>only wins you get are fedrats betraying themselves for lols
>>
>>1733980
There hasn't been an update in a few years. However, the Big Deal Mod adds new Flashpoints and mechs to BEX, and it is still being updated.
>>
>>1734101
It also ripped of Dougram and Robotech, much more fruitfully. LAMs were a pain in the ass and they're irrelevant outside of megamek and RT, thankfully.
>>
>>1734101
>>1734209
>ripped of
They bought them, from someone that mayhaps didn't have the rights to sell them

>LAMs were a pain in the ass and they're irrelevant outside of megamek and RT
I'd argue that they aren't really relevant for megamek either, not like people use LAMs when playing CBT
>>
>>1734209
>It also ripped of Dougram and Robotech
Robotech is also macross
>>
>>1734209
>Robotech
Come the fuck on.

>LAMs are a pain
Only if you're on the receiving end. Lots of things are a pain in CBT anyway. That's the whole point. Even inf can be a bitch if you're doing the right things with them. When you play with the full ruleset things get a bit overwhelming, granted, you're dealing with aerospace, you're dealing with inf ect. ect. ect. but that's all part of it.
The best thing to do would be to introduce restrictions to whichever format you're playing. In this case MekHq (excuse me for saying lab earlier) does this by introducing logistics.
LAMs would be hell to maintain (I don't know the official ruleset but given they're Starleague Era AND prototypical you'd be pouring oodles of resources into keeping them going - which is fine and makes sense. LAMs kick ass in RT and reward you for taking a risk on a glass cannon with some crazy moments.
If you want to talk about pain in your ass for no cost what about quad-mechs? They're more present in the setting, easier to build and maintain and basically mog humanoid mechs in every way (namely through turret based targeting and artillery bracing). Any scout/cav or ranged mech should basically be a quad when you think about it.
>>
>>1734346
Didn't the guys who made MWO of all things go up against Harmony Gold over that and win? Fucking clown world.

>>1734350
Fair enough, I'm not into it.

>>1734434
>Only if you're on the receiving end.
You really could have stopped there. They're not fun to go up against and they're unicorns so they're rarely used. For the same reason, most players aren't slinging davy crockett's. But not so in RT!

As for quads, there are costs. No torso twist, for example. They're also more starved for crit space. They've got a few neat tricks like the rear kick and the lateral shift and are very stable, so they're good for shit pilots. I'd take a bipedal 'mech over them most times, however.
>>
>>1734489
>MWO of all things go up against Harmony Gold over that and win
Basically. Didn't help that the IP is a clusterfuck and I think it mainly concerns the Macross based mechs, but PGI is why the redesigns are usable.
>Harmony Gold has the Robotech franchise which is based on licensed Macross content.
>including an exclusive distribution right outside of Japan
>repeatedly use it to sue multiple BT creators
>2013 Piranha Games and Catalyst Game Labs make new OC designs for 4 unseen mechs
>2017 Harmony Gold files lawsuits against them and Harebrained for the redesigns, Shadow Hawk, Atlas and Locust
>later three are dismissed with prejudice in 2018
>CGL defaults on their lawsuit but PGI keeps going
>2019 PGI manages to get the lawsuit dismissed with prejudice
>some settlement happens which allows all parties to keep using their redesigns

Because the IP is such a mess I have for example no clue if metal miniatures on those designs are possible.
>>
Rougetechs fun.
BTaFeels more polished.

Play both like I did.
>>
how do you unfuck evasion in BTA
shit ruins the entire game
>>
>>1740334
Maybe, depends on how the evasion changes got added. If they use something like permanent evasion as a separate mod it's easy because you can either change the settings in the mod folder or outright remove it.
Might fuck with other shit though.
I'd check but I don't really want to bother installing the mod.
>>
File: mechassault.jpg (243 KB, 514x365)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>1727781
mechassault
>>
File: 1692023022702315.jpg (479 KB, 1535x2048)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>1740429
For me, it's MechCommander
>>
>>1740334
>evasion is actually viable and in fact critical in a game about robots running around the place and sniping each other
Lmao. If you refuse to fire because you have low to-hit then HBS has fucked up your approach to BT.
Base HBS is so fucking easy it's insane. Just get behind and aim shot to the rear torso anon. If you're frightened of a world where shots are 100% and you can't just land them wherever then good. You're growing.
>>
>>1740726
We really need more Mecha RTS.. Or 4X.. Or Grand Strategy.. We need more Mecha on the ground!
>>
>>1740953
Go play mech engineer then
>>
File: capsule_616x353.jpg (79 KB, 616x353)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1727781
BEA
>>
>>1741205
I do. I like that one quite a bit even if it filtered me out for a while trying to figure it out.
>>
Does the tranny roguetech modder still force people to apply on xer's private discord for admission?
>>
>>1734604
They can't make metal miniatures because Ral Partha has the exclusive lifetime rights to that and they're a dead company
>>
>>1741436
Well they can't sue you if they're dead.
>>
>>1741436
Oh no I meant wether or not Ral Partha/Iron Wind can make metal miniatures using the new designs. Not that I think they will considering they already have the molds for the old ones and making new molds for just those is probably not worth it.
>>
>>1727781
BEXCE
>>
>>1741395
You want to try that again, but in English?
>>
>>1741954
Are you retarded? You had to write a fucking application and be a "good discord member" to join the game. That means you gotta suck his dick. I was asking if that was still the case or if he had killed himself.
>>
Roguetech is a lot more palatable after modding out core detonations (in a game with suicidal AI and limited shot calling where it is attached to a random number that cannot be interacted with) and battle armor (because a mech with 5 machine guns standing 1 tile behind a 4t battle armor kills it slower than they kill multiple 55t mechs in the same position). Now I just need to work out how to fix the broken-ass salary because my tank drivers seem to be asking for the same pay as neural-interfaced pilots who mastered both mechwarrior and airforce training programs to pilot LAMs, and that is not acceptable on any level or perspective.

Roguetech isn't really "bad", but most of the feeling of bloat comes from the fact that the majority of features are poorly implemented. Like I really love the concept of battle armor, but it's just unusably implemented. To get 150 omnidirectional non-skippable armor on a unit that has no way to surrender or be disabled is pretty ass. There are so many options to interact with mechs in this game, ways to disable or manipulate them, ways to destroy them in various scenarios, etc. None of that interacts with battle armors. The only interaction is "this weapon deals double damage against battle armor", which is a funny joke since those weapons are still more efficient at shredding light mechs or acing medium mechs from behind at point blank than they are against battle armor. They aren't even dangerous since their weapons suck ass (rightfully so) and they can't really hurt you if you move 1 tile away from them every turn. I lost my first battle armor by having it swarm attack a mech, which the game had it's funny hehehaha moment when they all called shot the torso and then detonated. Then I started having my mechs wear battle armors as a form of advanced weightless ablative armor for a little while, before finally realizing how much better the game is without them. At least, until they get implemented in a way that isn't fucking retarded.
>>
>>1740755
actually BD has just fucked that shit mod up beyond belief
>>
>>1727781
I hated rogue tech because they implied it was going to have mechanical fidelity to the tabletop and it didn't. I wanted megamek with graphics, not a bloated expansion pack to the mickey mouse HBS version.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.